PDA

View Full Version : Metro Dome Turf

Purple Floyd
09-19-2006, 09:18 AM
What kind of turf are they using at the dome? I know that the astroturf was used since it opened but when Ford Field was built they had a new type that was closer to the look and field of real grass that was supposed to be easier on the players joints. I remember hearing Red saying that he was going to make the switch but don't recall ever hearing if he did.

Zeus
09-19-2006, 09:23 AM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

What kind of turf are they using at the dome? I know that the astroturf was used since it opened but when Ford Field was built they had a new type that was closer to the look and field of real grass that was supposed to be easier on the players joints. I remember hearing Red saying that he was going to make the switch but don't recall ever hearing if he did.

The surface was upgraded to Field Turf in 2004.

http://www.answers.com/topic/hubert-h-humphrey-metrodome-1

During its early years of operation, the field at the Metrodome was surfaced with SuperTurf, which was disliked by both football and baseball players as being too hard. This surface was upgraded to Astroturf in 1987, and in 2004, the sports commission had a newer artificial surface, called FieldTurf, installed. FieldTurf is thought to be a closer approximation to natural grass than Astroturf in its softness, appearance, and feel.

=Z=

DeathtoDenny
09-19-2006, 09:25 AM
The new stuff is called Field Turf and its been in the dome 3 years. The last team to switch was Indianapolis last year (I think).

Garland Greene
09-19-2006, 09:37 AM
As
I remeber correctly, it is installed differently in the Dome because the Twins wanted something different with the padding and got it.

Who cares about Baseball ;D

snowinapril
09-19-2006, 10:48 AM
It was a visual difference when they installed it.
I noticed right away, through the TUBE even.
It was much darker in the dome after it was installed, the old stuff was a lighter green.

whackthepack
09-19-2006, 11:40 AM
The new turf was state of the art at the time it was put in (2004) and is used in a lot of stadiums around the country.

The Viking's indoor practice field at Winter Park has the same surface.

Purple Floyd
09-19-2006, 11:36 PM
Is there any data on whether the new turfs are helping or hurting the number of knee injuries?

I know the knock on the old turf was that you could run faster and cut sharper but that you got more torn ACL's than you did on natural grass.

It seems like we are getting alot of torn up knees on the squad and around the league. It is a bad deal but when the athletes are getting that much stronger and faster, I guess the ligaments end up being the weak link in the chain.

BadlandsVikings
09-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Put skylights in the dome and use real grass.

Mr. Purple
09-19-2006, 11:53 PM
One thing that bothers me is the sharing of the dome wtih the Twins.I hate seeing that ugly baseball clay/dirt on the field.It looks even tackier in a dome.

PacNWVike
09-20-2006, 12:40 AM
"WVV" wrote:

Put skylights in the dome and use real grass.

Heck, tear the lid off and play in real weather like real men!
I remember the old days...

Salzy
09-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Can't we dig through the mall of america and bring back The Met?