Purple Floyd
09-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Childress just said Erasmus tore his ACL and is done for the season >:(

petrodemos
09-18-2006, 02:17 PM
listening to the newsconference now, that blows

whackthepack
09-18-2006, 02:18 PM
That just sucks, thank god we picked up Edwards in the draft.

Erasmus or thoughts are with you!

Prophet
09-18-2006, 02:19 PM
That hurts.
Damn it.

Freakout
09-18-2006, 02:19 PM
I had a bad feeling it wasn't going to be good news.
Edwards and Scott has to stepup.

snowinapril
09-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Are we going to have to go out and sign Johnstone!
:o

thevikingfan
09-18-2006, 02:23 PM
that sucks!God thing we have some depth on the d-line i guess ray edwards is gonna start now or maybe it will be drrion scott

DCPologirl
09-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Another one bits the dust :(

whackthepack
09-18-2006, 02:24 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

He is on the Raider's roster.

Zeus
09-18-2006, 02:25 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Childress just said Erasmus tore his ACL and is done for the season >:(

Wow.
That's some hard-luck there for Erasmus.
I would look for Ray Edwards to be the starter now, as he's the one who came in for him yesterday afternoon.

=Z=

kansas_man54
09-18-2006, 02:34 PM
definately a blow to the d line.
i look for edwards to split time with scott, as well as some possible shuffling with the ends.
our thoughts are with you erasmus!

Del Rio
09-18-2006, 02:35 PM
From the sounds of it they rotate no matter who is in there. They run a fast a furious defense and regardless of who is available most D-lineman play. So this injury hurts for sure, but we have guys capable of playing end that have been seeing reps in real game situations.

I feel bad for James next season is a LONG ways away.

snowinapril
09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Thanks, I wasn't sure where he was at.
It was more
a joke than anything.
Sucks about James, onward we go.

whackthepack
09-18-2006, 02:45 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Thanks, I wasn't sure where he was at.
It was more
a joke than anything.
Sucks about James, onward we go.

I wish he was available and could get him in this week.

Jviking
09-18-2006, 02:53 PM
This sure sucks for james and the team.
I think we all had high hopes for him this year.

ejmat
09-18-2006, 03:02 PM
This is bad news.
I was looking forward to big things from him.
I think Scott and Edwards will fill in nicely but it still stinks.

BloodyHorns82
09-18-2006, 03:08 PM
This sucks!
I was thinking it was going to be no big deal after hearing his comments about it after the game.
It could be worse I suppose.

Torontovik15
09-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Nnnnnnnnnooooooo!!!
Don't need anymore bad luck with injuries, I know it part of the game, but a little luck would help.
It will probably be hard to get someone good before the trade deadline, guess will have to see how many game we have won before then...

Just some more bad luck... Arrggggggghhhhh

josdin00
09-18-2006, 03:11 PM
Maybe Longwell can play end, too.

vikinggreg
09-18-2006, 03:15 PM
That's terrible news, I was looking forward to seeing James play the whole season and running up some good sack totals.
We have more talent on our IR list than GB has starting ::)

UndisputedVike
09-18-2006, 03:21 PM
No no no...come on, give us a break, this is getting to be ridiculous. We are getting plagued with injuries most of which all involve the Knee...there goes half of our dominating D-Line pass rush.
>:(

I feel bad for the guy though, not a good way to start the beginning of what should be a promising career, I can't believe this, I can only imagine how he feels.

skum
09-18-2006, 03:22 PM
"josdin00" wrote:

Maybe Longwell can play end, too.

Nice with a little laugh in this sad thread..

Really is bad news, the Tampa 2 is a system where you need to get pressure from the Defensive Line, as the Linebackers often will drop into coverage.. So its a big blow..

VikesfaninWis
09-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Oh this just f'n sucks... We have been riddled with injuries since day 1 of camp.. What a blow to the DE position.. I know Edwards will start, and he has shown flashes as a good DE, but James is a pass rushing beast..

I wish James all the best, and a quick and full recovery.. Hopefully this won't be a long term injury, and they can fix it up in a hurry..

JSRasmus2698
09-18-2006, 03:32 PM
yeah, this is really is some bad news.
Hopefully edwards will step it up, as i think he can and next year we will have 3 very good DE's.
The only thing this presents is that the opponents O-line can now concentrate more on the other 3 studs we have on our D-Line, so Edwards really has to step up.
Keep the fingers crossed!

ZDoy379
09-18-2006, 03:34 PM
I vote in Ray Edwards to take his place. Not Darrion Scott.

cajunvike
09-18-2006, 03:36 PM
IF these injuries HAVE to happen, why can't they happen to the Bears, Packers, Cowboys or Patriots!!!!!

F'n S!!!!!

FuadFan
09-18-2006, 03:39 PM
First it was Udeze last year now it's James this year leave us alone you blasted injury bug. I hope Edwards and Scott step up and we may see the return of Jayme Mitchell to the active roster get well soon James.
:'(

Del Rio
09-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Scott is a beast. He can play end as well as anyone. He showed his ability to play last season where he was very productive on the field and in the statistics box.

ejmat
09-18-2006, 03:46 PM
"Del" wrote:

Scott is a beast. He can play end as well as anyone. He showed his ability to play last season where he was very productive on the field and in the statistics box.

Agreed.
I like Scott.
He seems to be a good pass rusher.

Mr. Purple
09-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Man this sucks big time, I like our depth at DE but James is beast.I saw this on espn and took a double take.

marcosMN
09-18-2006, 03:50 PM
:'( NOOOOOO! Oh man. This sucks. He was set for a big year this season...

Might me time to request a new sig, eh?

Ltrey33
09-18-2006, 03:56 PM
DAMNIT!!!!!! Ahh....that sucks. Just when things were coming together for our defense too. Let's hope D-Scott steps up!

Vrehna
09-18-2006, 03:57 PM
This hurts.
Not as bad as losing our two DT's, I think we have more depth at DE than we do for K & P Williams.
I'm sure we will recover, but we will no longer have the monster D-Line we did before this injury.

V4L
09-18-2006, 04:01 PM
I guess wasn't he coming out of college injury prone? Hence the reason he fell to like the 21st pick? I heard he's had some problems..

Gosh this does indeed blow though.. I was looking forward to seeing him grow into a Peppers type passrusher this year!

One Love

Prophet
09-18-2006, 04:01 PM
KFFL
Vikings | James out for season with torn ACL
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:49:10 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings DL Erasmus James (knee) is out for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. James will rehab the injury for about two weeks and then will undergo season-ending surgery on his knee. Head coach Brad Childress has not made it clear as to how James will be replaced. Rookie DL Ray Edwards may start at James' position of right end or the team could move DL Kenechi Udeze from left end to right end and start DL Darrion Scott at left end.

AngloVike
09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Well boys and girls, now you know why depth at all positions is important. Losing James is a blow but thats what football is all about. Not always a question of how well the starters can play but how well you can cover the injuries when they occur.

Slade
09-18-2006, 04:15 PM
Greeeaaat.......(enter sarcasm)....lets see here: Greenway, Erasmus, Tank, Edwards...anyone else? The D is taking a beating

Big C
09-18-2006, 04:19 PM
I feel for James. He was starting to come in to his own under proper coaching. I am confident that Darrion Scott will help minimize the blow, but it is a blow none-the-less.

olson_10
09-18-2006, 04:24 PM
time for Ray Edwards to fulfill his potential

Prophet
09-18-2006, 04:27 PM
Vikings lose defensive end James to season-ending knee injury (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-james&prov=ap&type=lgns)
Vikings lose defensive end James to season-ending knee injury
Vikings lose defensive end James to season-ending knee injury

September 18, 2006

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- Minnesota Vikings defensive end Erasmus James will have season-ending surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

James got hurt on a running play late in the fourth quarter of Sunday's win over Carolina. He will likely rehabilitate the knee for a couple of weeks before having the operation, coach Brad Childress said Monday.

James is the third defensive player to suffer a season-ending injury for Minnesota.

Safety Tank Williams broke his left kneecap in training camp, and rookie linebacker Chad Greenway tore the ACL in his left knee in the team's first exhibition game. Also, cornerback Dovonte Edwards broke his right arm in the final preseason game and was placed on injured reserve.

In two games, James had only two tackles, but the Vikings were hoping for a breakout season from the 2005 first-round draft pick out of Wisconsin.

Four other players were hurt against the Panthers, but Childress said Monday they were all minor. Receiver Troy Williamson (shoulder), linebacker Napoleon Harris (quadriceps), cornerback Antoine Winfield (head) and Marcus Robinson (hamstring) all returned to the game after their injuries.

Running back Ciatrick Fason (shoulder) did not dress on Sunday.

Grassdog61
09-18-2006, 04:55 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

IF these injuries HAVE to happen, why can't they happen to the Bears, Packers, Cowboys or Patriots!!!!!

F'n S!!!!!

Well, its looks like the Eagles had a major blow today too - Julius Peppers is down for the season

Prophet
09-18-2006, 04:58 PM
"Grassdog61" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

F'n S!!!!!

Well, its looks like the Eagles had a major blow today too - Julius Peppers is down for the season

I think you mean Jevon Kearse.
I'm guessing that BJ can't get Pepper's image out of his mind today either.

Mr Anderson
09-18-2006, 05:58 PM
God damnit, every year we deal with the same thing. A problem player(Koren), the injury bug(James, Greenway, Tank Williams), hatred by the entire media and NFL staff(duh).

But at least we have a running game, and a defense, so 2 of our past issues are gone.

oakmage
09-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Words fail me at this news, I know that the season goes on and we will have to find somebody to replace him but right now I do not care about that that is for tomorrow but right now it is still the shock at hearing this piece of news.
Why does it all ways have to be this way.
Every year when we have a position that might be great that position gets hit with the injury bug?
AAAAGGGHHHHHH

Grassdog61
09-18-2006, 06:03 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Grassdog61" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

F'n S!!!!!

I think you mean Jevon Kearse.
I'm guessing that BJ can't get Pepper's image out of his mind today either.

My mistake - Kearse it is

TheKnuck
09-18-2006, 06:26 PM
i am so friggin pissed.
maybe its a signature curse.
everytimr i put these guys in a sig, they get hurt.
i'll stop making them.

Prophet
09-18-2006, 06:28 PM
"TheKnuck" wrote:

i am so friggin pissed.
maybe its a signature curse.
everytimr i put these guys in a sig, they get hurt.
i'll stop making them.

Damn you!
I knew it was your fault.

BadlandsVikings
09-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Can't we invent something so no one hurts there knees?

farvathevikinglover
09-18-2006, 06:34 PM
major suckage, but look at the bright side: it could've happened to a more important or valuable person, we won against one of the preseason favorites to go to the Super Bowl, and the Packers lost.

SciritaeVike
09-18-2006, 06:38 PM
DAMN IT! i was hoping that he would have a big year. on the upside kenechi will pick up and our DTs can be dominating and will b.

Vikes_King
09-18-2006, 07:21 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO =(

james was going to prove something this year >_<

CCthebest
09-18-2006, 07:23 PM
This really sucks. One of the best we had goes down. Hope Scoot can fill in

The Dropper
09-18-2006, 07:40 PM
If that new stadium ever comes through it had better be grass. I'm thoroughly convinced that turf is an ACL nightmare. I play in a soccer league on turf and have seen two people go down w/ ACL injuries this year alone (including my team's #1 scorer). Screw turf.
>:(

Benet
09-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Astroturf is the tool of the devil.

WBLVikeBabe
09-18-2006, 10:21 PM
This is really too bad.
It's almost like who's it going to be next now.

Articnv
09-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Vikings always same time to have
inuurie plauges but thsi
is the worset of it

PurplePride80
09-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Injuries are a part of the game.

All we can do is hope he recovers well from the injury.

DeathtoDenny
09-18-2006, 10:58 PM
We do seem to have a lot of injuries these days.

HornedHat
09-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Well, it sure sux. This DL had the look of becoming something, I mean REALLY special. We'll survive it. Guess that's why ya draft a Ray Edwards. He may not be Erasmus, but he has looked good.

Tom2Bucs
09-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Its been a veeerrrryyy long time since I have posted anything on this sight , but I browse through and resd it everyday! I love this sight! Anyway, we all have to keep in mind that Ray Edwards was a 1st rd. talent . The ONLY reason we were able to steal him was because of the problems he had with his coaches and coming out a little early. I agree that he's no Erasmus ( at least that we know of) but he will be fine and have a solid season for us.

ejmat
09-19-2006, 12:20 AM
Why is it that it seems like all the injuries are for the entire season?

midgensa
09-19-2006, 01:46 AM
God dammmmit ... seriously ... right when things are looking good this crap is happening ... imagine how good we would look with Greenway, Tank, Erasmus and K-Rob all season! Here is to the new toughness knowing how to adjust.

grpape
09-19-2006, 03:02 AM
Hey Cajun, are you thinking what I'm thinking?

spunk_goblin
09-19-2006, 03:40 AM
That's a bad break for the Vikes but every team has serious injuries every season so hopefully we can overcome this one

digital420
09-19-2006, 05:21 AM
this goes down as really really reallly bad break for us. Now..
here's something to think on.. whenever we loos a player.. it seems their backup really steps up and comes out strong.

hope this continues!!!

B.chill.. time to show that quic decision processes!!!

E.james.. good luck man.. don't get down.. and come with us and rally the boys!!

DiGiTaL

singersp
09-19-2006, 07:34 AM
James will miss rest of year (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/685869.html)

The 2005 first-round pick tore a knee ligament, and the Vikings did not reveal how they plan to proceed without him.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
Last update: September 18, 2006 – 11:29 PM

For the second consecutive season, the Vikings have lost a starting defensive end because of a knee injury.
A magnetic resonance imaging exam showed right end Erasmus James tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee Sunday in the fourth quarter of the Vikings' 16-13 overtime victory over Carolina, coach Brad Childress said Monday. James had the MRI on Monday morning.

Childress said James is "making plans right now on where and when [the surgery] will occur." James, who likely will be placed on injured reserve this week, is expected to do a few weeks of rehab work before having the procedure.

Childress did not say how he planned to replace James. His options include moving Darrion Scott or rookie Ray Edwards into a starting role. Scott started 15 games at end last season, after Kenechi Udeze hurt his knee in the third game and had season-ending surgery in October.

The Vikings also could look at free agents. Among those available is Michael Haynes, Chicago's first-round pick in 2003. He was let go by New Orleans last week after a brief stint with the team. His agent, Brian Mackler, said Monday that the Vikings had not called about his client.

"We've got a few different ways that we're considering going," Childress said. "We're really trying to put [Sunday's] game behind us with the players, the coaches, and then move on here to the Bears. But some of those decisions will get made here in the next 48 hours or so."

James, the 18th overall pick in the 2005 draft out of Wisconsin, reported late to training camp last year but started the final nine games and finished with four sacks, 16 quarterback hurries and 34 tackles. He had four quarterback hurries and four tackles this season before being injured on a 1-yard run by Carolina's DeShaun Foster.

"I don't know if someone got blocked into me or someone came down and chopped me," James said Sunday.

Said Childress: "I just think he was playing at a high level. It was the first training camp that he has been through extensively. You could see him coming and getting better and better every day, both playing the run and playing the pass. He's put himself in a position, with the effort and the hard work in the offseason, and that's the disappointing part of this game is those injuries."

James is the third Vikings player to be lost this season because of a knee injury. Linebacker Chad Greenway (torn ACL in left knee) and safety Tank Williams (fractured left kneecap) were both placed on IR last month. Both were operated on by noted surgeon James Andrews.

Judd Zulgad • jzulgad@startribune.com