PDA

View Full Version : Childress Second In Coaches Ranking By ESPN

COJOMAY
09-14-2006, 11:14 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnation/ratings?seasonYear=2006&seasonType=2&week=1

91%
Team: Minnesota Vikings
Record: 1-0
Votes: 1,943
Vikings battle hard, win in Childress' coaching debut
Ryan Longwell kicked a field goal with a minute left, and the Vikings won when John Hall missed a 48-yard field goal with a chance to send the game into overtime. Chester Taylor earned every one of his 131 yards from scrimmage and scored a touchdown in his Vikings debut. Brad Johnson was outstanding on third downs and finished with 223 yards and one touchdown pass.

McCarthy is dead last!

And by the way, notice that the Vikes are the 7th rated team on defense. How long has it been since we were that high?

AngloVike
09-14-2006, 11:35 AM
could be a long season for McCarthy .. even his pic looks like a dead man walking already
;D
If we can look back after 8 weeks and still have our D in the top 10 then I'll be convinced that we may have finally turned the corner and got something real.

whackthepack
09-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Herm Edwards 2nd to last, it didn't even take him 1 season to ruin the Chiefs!
It took him 4 seasons to ruin the Jets, he is getting better.

NordicNed
09-14-2006, 11:56 AM
You can still vote on the topic, do you approve of the job Childress is doing...

I'de like to know why the 95 of those who don't, voted that way... ???

Del Rio
09-14-2006, 12:00 PM
It's been one game.

The fact that they are trying to classify anything is laughable.

#7 defense after one game? The last time that happened? Probably more recent then you think.

RK.
09-14-2006, 12:04 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

You can still vote on the topic, do you approve of the job Childress is doing...

Probably Packer and Bears fans.
;)

NordicNed
09-14-2006, 12:08 PM
"Del" wrote:

It's been one game.

The fact that they are trying to classify anything is laughable.

#7 defense after one game? The last time that happened? Probably more recent then you think.

You hit it right on the head Del.

To me, stats don't meen all that much till about the 6th or seventh game, that is when one starts seeing a clearer picture and who really stands where, but even then, teams and players can go into slumps or get on a roll and those stats again can change very fast.....

whackthepack
09-14-2006, 12:08 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

CC the Best was probably one of them.

Some people are going to hate the new coach even if he wins a Superbowl!
They could be Tice's drinking buddies who knows.

Prophet
09-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Those stats jump all over the place the beginning of the season, still fun to see.

The only thing you can really get out of the defensive rankings is after the season, or later in the season you can categorize the teams into a hierarchical setting like best, middle, and worst defenses.
If you try to rank them 1-32 it doesn't work too well because one Steve Smith-type day like the Vikings had last year will plummet the overall rankings.
Tough to analyze with statistics, but interesting nonetheless.

Marrdro
09-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Only stat that matters right now is W-1 / L-0.
Let the bean counters muddle with the rest until about the 5th, 6th or 7th game.

Vikes_King
09-14-2006, 06:19 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Only stat that matters right now is W-1 / L-0.
Let the bean counters muddle with the rest until about the 5th, 6th or 7th game.

exactly. until about then the only stat i care about is W/L

farvathevikinglover
09-14-2006, 06:47 PM
W/L may be all that matters, but this is still a pretty cool article.

eelpout72
09-14-2006, 11:17 PM
I think that Childress is likely getting high approvals ratings because not only did he win, but he also had the guts to sit a starter for disciplinary reasons and start a rookie.

vikinggreg
09-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Well he's up to 92%
sitting on top

rookie coach of the year?

Too early for that I guess, when the packers fire MM and bench Favre and the Vikes have locked the NFC North well then I guess, oops I'm sounding like I'm from GB ;D ;)

Good start to the year, next few games will test our coach

here's to a successful september 8)

Tarkenator
09-15-2006, 04:25 AM
"eelpout72" wrote:

I think that Childress is likely getting high approvals ratings because not only did he win, but he also had the guts to sit a starter for disciplinary reasons and start a rookie.

A very good point and I think that surely factors in.

Good to see Childress is willing to make that commitment towards righting the organization.
Great to see him being acknowledged for it.

We should also probably applaud Mr.Wilf for not intervening on the D. Smith sit out.

As for the rankings, I agree that one game does not a season make.
As far as the Vikings not being fodder for the media, I think our new coach is already a winner.

whackthepack
09-15-2006, 09:39 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsnation/ratings?seasonYear=2006&seasonType=2&week=1

And by the way, notice that the Vikes are the 7th rated team on defense. How long has it been since we were that high?

The Vikes are 7th in the NFC on defense, and 11th in the NFL.
Compared to the defenses we have had for the last 7 years I think we are headed in the right direction and I think we finish the season in the top 10 defenses.

tiersius
09-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Look who's up there - 4 of the top 7 are first year coaches. They will inevitably slide at some point in the season leaving the Reids and Edwards at the top IMHO