PDA

View Full Version : respect

mr.woo
09-12-2006, 09:33 AM
after watching the game on monday i know have a new respect for smoot. i expected him to not play very hard once he learned of he was getting paid this game. but that wasnt the case. he flew up and hit people and worked his a$$ off even on special teams. my respect for him has greatly improved since sunday.

Del Rio
09-12-2006, 09:36 AM
"mr.woo" wrote:

after watching the game on monday i know have a new respect for smoot. i expected him to not play very hard once he learned of he was getting paid this game. but that wasnt the case. he flew up and hit people and worked his a$$ off even on special teams. my respect for him has greatly improved since sunday.

He has to do that consistently for me to care. He was playing his old team on Monday night football........

Like I said in another thread though he was using textbook form on his tackles and I was VERY happy to him tearing it up correctly. Gives me hope.

Next week should be a big week for him with Steve Smith coming to town. I want to see him keep it up over the entire season. Definately stepping in the right direction though.

NodakPaul
09-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Smoot did have a very good game.
Most of you know that I have a decent amount of confidence in Smoot, but Del is right... he needs to have a few more games like this to put any concerns to rest.
I too was glad to see him making strong tackles.

Part of me hopes that Steve Smith's hamstring is 100% by next week so Smoot has a shot at redeption.
But the practical part of me says redemption-shedemption.
If Smith is sidelined or limited the Vikes stand a much better chance of winning. :)

Top_Speed
09-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Show me MORE! 1 game wonders are a dime a dozen.

I always said if he could only put that energy he uses in his jaw towards his feet & legs he could be in a position to make plays.

Keep it up Smooty

Mr. Purple
09-12-2006, 10:55 AM
If we beat Carolina this weekend, which I think we have a good chance too.I'll say we're foreal.I'm not saying we'll win the super bowl, but I think we'll be in the thick of things.Smoot played great, made a big tackle on Cooley.

6-KINGS
09-12-2006, 11:05 AM
"Del" wrote:

"mr.woo" wrote:

He has to do that consistently for me to care. He was playing his old team on Monday night football........

Like I said in another thread though he was using textbook form on his tackles and I was VERY happy to him tearing it up correctly. Gives me hope.

Next week should be a big week for him with Steve Smith coming to town. I want to see him keep it up over the entire season. Definately stepping in the right direction though.

I am glad you guys have hope now.
My wife has a brand new pair of roller skates, and I have a brand new key..........
Ain't life great!

marcosMN
09-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I agree, in that Smoot showed up in rare form last night. Let's just hope we see some repeats throughout the season.

Json
09-12-2006, 11:42 AM
I've always liked Smoot.
I know last year he put a sour taste in alot of peoples mouths but I still thought he'd be able to turn it around.
Now it's only one game so hopefully he keeps it up.

cogitans
09-12-2006, 01:13 PM
I like him playing good aswell. We do pay him a LOT of money you know, so he should play like a team leader.

But what I would like to se him do on a consistant basis, is not tackling as much as just shuting down the opposing no. 1 reciever.

The Dropper
09-12-2006, 01:20 PM
So perhaps it took a Monday night game against his old team to play well. And next week he gets to attempt to redeem himself against Steve Smith. If he can perform well against Carolina, my hope is that he should have the confidence to be a shutdown corner all year by building on these first two. If not, I don't know what else to do with the bum cos its hard to find more motivation then that at the beginning of a season.

NaryBim
09-12-2006, 01:22 PM
When asked if he trash talked during the game the other night, Smoot replied, "Trash talk?
I left a landfill out there!"

You've got to have confidence to play this game, and Smoot's got enough to go around.

RK.
09-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Once again last year was not Smoots fault.
It was the stupid D of Cotrell.
What do you want to bet that Tomlin doesn't leave Smoot hanging out to dry by himself against Smith?
;)

ultravikingfan
09-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Regardless of the system last year, Smoot laid an egg.
I am all for forgiving him but I will not forgive him for his play against the Skins and Brunell.
They are not a passing team or a team that is going to challenge a CB.

Next

ejmat
09-12-2006, 03:38 PM
I thought Smoot played a good game last night.
He did well reading plays and tackled well.
Much improved from what I saw last year.
I always thought he was a good corner to begin with.
Last year he didn't prove that.
He did play hurt last year and the d scheme wasn't exactly the best.
However you can't give up 200 yards to any receiver.

I hope this trend continues.
I want him to be able to backup his talk and walk the walk.

NodakPaul
09-12-2006, 03:45 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

I am all for forgiving him but I will not forgive him for his play against the Skins and Brunell.

Next

With Moss and Randle-El, they were touting themselves up to be the type of team that could challenge a CB.
But point made... it may not have been the toughest test for him.
If (when) Smoot performs well against Carolina, will that be enough for you to forgive him?

Del Rio
09-12-2006, 03:47 PM
He was tackling better so that is all I care about.

whackthepack
09-12-2006, 03:56 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Next

With Moss and Randle-El, they were touting themselves up to be the type of team that could challenge a CB.
But point made... it may not have been the toughest test for him.
If (when) Smoot performs well against Carolina, will that be enough for you to forgive him?

Any word on Steve Smith's hamstring?
Will he play against us or is he out for the game?

I think Smoot would like to get another shot at him but after what he did to us last year if he doesn't play it won't break my heart.

NodakPaul
09-12-2006, 04:33 PM
"Charlotte Observer" wrote:

Coach John Fox indicated that he's uncertain if WR Steve Smith (hamstring) will return to practice Wednesday. "We'll evaluate him day-to-day, and when he's deemed healthy, he'll be out there," Fox said. "Until then, it will be more of the same." (Sep. 12, - 9:23 AM EDT - Source: Charlotte Observer)

Hammies are slow to heal completely.
If you rush back, you just prolong the injury.
Just ask Moss...