ultravikingfan
09-07-2006, 05:08 AM
Topsy-turvy times for two rookies
Carter, Mathis wind up on practice squad

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15455806.htm

One day you've made the team.

The next day you're cut.

Then you're on the practice squad.

That was what Vikings wide receiver Jason Carter and running back Wendell Mathis went through during a crazy 72-hour stretch recently.

After a preseason during which the two undrafted rookies played better than expected, Carter and Mathis made the Vikings' 53-man roster Saturday.

They were shocked to be released Sunday, only to be added Monday to the Vikings' eight-man practice squad.

"I got that call (Sunday) morning, and I called Jason just to let him know what happened," Mathis said. "He said, 'I got that call, too.' I thought that was kind of strange."

Mathis, who attended Fresno State, finished second in rushing behind starter Chester Taylor with 19 carries for 83 yards during the preseason.

But it was Carter, a standout playmaker at Texas A&M last year, who turned the most heads as the Vikings' most productive receiver in the exhibition season with four catches for 155 yards and two touchdowns, including a 71-yard scoring reception against the Baltimore Ravens.

"I got the respect of my teammates," Carter said. "When guys like Travis (Taylor), Marcus (Robinson) and Darren Sharper tell you that you played good, you are proud of yourself."

The Vikings still decided to waive Carter and Mathis to make room on the roster for running back Artose Pinner and defensive back Rashad Baker, who were claimed off waivers Sunday.

Carter and Mathis spent considerable time as the team's lead punt and kick returners during training camp, so it would be the most likely way for both to stay on the active roster this season.

Carter said he looks forward to proving he deserves to be on the field.

"I was a little blindsided," he said "But it's not adversity for me. I know how to handle it. I always take everything and use it as motivation."

Bollinger signs extension: Quarterback Brooks Bollinger signed a two-year extension that pays him $2.4 million.

Bollinger, whom the Vikings acquired in a trade last Thursday, received an immediate signing bonus of $600,000, and he will make $500,000 in base salary this season. In 2007, Bollinger is due to make $800,000, including a $50,000 workout bonus. In 2008, he will make $1 million, including a $50,000 workout bonus.

Meanwhile, receiver Todd Pinkston, whom the Vikings signed Friday, will make $585,000 this season. But he has a split contract, which means his salary drops significantly if he is placed on injured reserve.

Injury update: Running back Mewelde Moore (knee) and cornerback Fred Smoot (bruised ribs) both practiced Wednesday, but they are questionable for the season opener Monday night at Washington. Moore, who missed the final three exhibition games, has moved back to No. 2 on the depth chart at tailback but still is No. 1 at punt returner.

Redskins running back Clinton Portis (shoulder) is listed as questionable for Monday. Cornerback Shawn Springs (abdomen) is listed as doubtful, and defensive end Renaldo Wynn (ankle) is listed as probable.

Portis hasn't played since suffering a partially dislocated left shoulder in the exhibition opener, but most of the Vikings said they expect him to play.

"It doesn't matter one way or another, but I do expect to see him," Sharper said.

New gig for Cottrell: Former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell has accepted a position with the NFL as an appeals officer for player fines.

After 22 seasons as an NFL assistant, Cottrell said he was thankful to get the job and isn't sure whether he will look to get back into coaching.

Briefly: Receiver Quincy Morgan worked out Tuesday for the Vikings. Last year, Morgan averaged 25.3 yards on kickoffs for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

• Former Gustavus Adolphus receiver Ryan Hoag, who was with the Vikings during training camp, worked out for the Redskins. He could be signed to their practice squad today.

Prophet
09-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Both these guys show a lot of promise.
Nice to see them on the practice squad instead of floating around in waiver-wire land.

singersp
09-07-2006, 07:33 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Both these guys show a lot of promise.
Nice to see them on the practice squad instead of floating around in waiver-wire land.

They are still FA's & can be signed away to an active roster in a heartbeat.

Del Rio
09-07-2006, 07:39 AM
I really wish they would have made a roster spot for Carter, I think he earned it. I mean if you come into the preseason and make the plays he did and you still cant make the team that is a problem.

I really hope Childress didn't make a mistake by grabbing Pinkston and putting a potential star on the practice squad.

Prophet
09-07-2006, 07:44 AM
I realize they can be signed away, but at least they aren't in wire-land.
It's a slight improvement since a team has to take a 53-man slot to sign them.
I too would prefer to see Carter on the 53 rather than McMullen or even Pussyton.

I would also take Mathis over MeMo (Pussyton and MeMo would make a nice couple)

VikesfaninWis
09-07-2006, 07:53 AM
"Del" wrote:

I really wish they would have made a roster spot for Carter, I think he earned it. I mean if you come into the preseason and make the plays he did and you still cant make the team that is a problem.

I really hope Childress didn't make a mistake by grabbing Pinkston and putting a potential star on the practice squad.

My guess is that McMullen and/or Pinkston won't be with us long, and Carter comes back to the active roster soon.. McMullen has done nothing to show why he deserves to be on this team, and Carter has.. I see Carter here in no time at all..

cogitans
09-07-2006, 07:58 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

My guess is that McMullen and/or Pinkston won't be with us long, and Carter comes back to the active roster soon.. McMullen has done nothing to show why he deserves to be on this team, and Carter has.. I see Carter here in no time at all..

I think you could be right, and I hope you are.

I just also hope that Childress lets him know that, so he doesn't sign with someone else.

V-Unit
09-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Carter earned a roster spot, there is no doubt about that in my mind. He is too good to be on a practice squad.

ejmat
09-07-2006, 01:31 PM
I agree with everyone Carter deserves a roster spot.
Especially over McDullen and Pinkyboy.
I would like the signing of Quincy Morgan as well.
I think they should replace McDullen and Pinky with Carter and Morgan.
Would change the amount of speed on the roster and give us 2 quality return men as well.

BloodyHorns82
09-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Can somebody explain to me why McMuffin earned a roster spot while doing nothing in the preseason...And Carter, who outperformed all of our WRs gets placed on the practice squad?
I realize Carter wasn't really playing with the first team, but I dont' know what else he could have done to prove he's worthy of our roster.

This move really bothers me.
Carter may be our saving grace for trading Basket for McMuffin.
This guy (Muffin) hasn't even played a game for us and I already hate him.
Not so much for his performance, but mainly because of what he APPEARS to be costing us with other talent.

ejmat
09-07-2006, 02:10 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

Can somebody explain to me why McMuffin earned a roster spot while doing nothing in the preseason...And Carter, who outperformed all of our WRs gets placed on the practice squad?
I realize Carter wasn't really playing with the first team, but I dont' know what else he could have done to prove he's worthy of our roster.

This move really bothers me.
Carter may be our saving grace for trading Basket for McMuffin.
This guy (Muffin) hasn't even played a game for us and I already hate him.
Not so much for his performance, but mainly because of what he APPEARS to be costing us with other talent.

I haven't seen a post that disagrees with you.

vikingbill50
09-07-2006, 02:10 PM
i think that is a question that alot of us would like to know as it jsut dont make sense, even tho mcmuffin is alittle more experienced, it sure didnt show and i am trying to find where i read it but cartes agent is sayinghe has gotten calls from other teams interested in signing carter...that would be a bad move on our part to lose him..hope we can keep him

BloodyHorns82
09-07-2006, 02:12 PM
"vikingbill50" wrote:

i think that is a question that alot of us would like to know as it jsut dont make sense, even tho mcmuffin is alittle more experienced, it sure didnt show and i am trying to find where i read it but cartes agent is sayinghe has gotten calls from other teams interested in signing carter...that would be a bad move on our part to lose him..hope we can keep him

I am going to be so angry if he gets signed away from us.
It's going to be hard to hold my Childress judgements.
I think he has done a lot of great things for our team so far, but he's also laid up a handful of questionable moves.

vikingbill50
09-07-2006, 02:15 PM
yes i will hate it too..but in reality, how long do you expect a player like that to remain on a practice squad...i just wish they would give a good reason for keeping mcmuffin and not carter...

Braddock
09-07-2006, 02:20 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

I sure hope you're right. I forget who said it in an earlier thread, but our team needs a playmaking Carter. That name is synonimous with Vikings success. He, T-Jack, and Williamson could be a dynamic trio for years to come.

Prophet
09-07-2006, 02:22 PM
McMuffin, and to a lesser extent, Pussyton, seem to be the people that are grinding people's gonads (or grinding people's ovaries).
I guess we're destined to sit it out and wait, again.
Maybe Zygi can hire PP.O as a virtual assistant coach.
Can you imagine the turmoil the franchise would be in?
The waiver wire would look like an unemployed day-trader hacked into the NFL.

ejmat
09-07-2006, 02:24 PM
"Braddock" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

I know I was the one that stated I would love to hear touchdown Carter again.
The name just gushes purple.

I sure hope you're right. I forget who said it in an earlier thread, but our team needs a playmaking Carter. That name is synonimous with Vikings success. He, T-Jack, and Williamson could be a dynamic trio for years to come.

cajunvike
09-07-2006, 02:43 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

McMuffin, and to a lesser extent, Pussyton, seem to be the people that are grinding people's gonads (or grinding people's ovaries).
I guess we're destined to sit it out and wait, again.
Maybe Zygi can hire PP.O as a virtual assistant coach.
Can you imagine the turmoil the franchise would be in?
The waiver wire would look like an unemployed day-trader hacked into the NFL.

You got a theme going on there, Prophet!
LOL

Although I prefer to call Todd "PinkTacoSton"...he should go and play for the Cardinals!
LOL

FuadFan
09-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Wow this is getting to the point where I hope McMullen can have success just to shut up every negative comment I hear evrybody here say about him. I like Carter but from most of what I hear people think he is a future hall of famer. Thirty one other teams didn't care about adding him to their active roster so he isn't as great as we have hyped him up to be and McMullen has done nothing wrong to deserve such hate.

ejmat
09-08-2006, 01:52 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

Wow this is getting to the point where I hope McMullen can have success just to shut up every negative comment I hear evrybody here say about him. I like Carter but from most of what I hear people think he is a future hall of famer. Thirty one other teams didn't care about adding him to their active roster so he isn't as great as we have hyped him up to be and McMullen has done nothing wrong to deserve such hate.

What has he (McMullen) done to earn respect?
Not sure if you been reading the rest of the posts but there are other teams interested in Carter.
I don't think anyone here made him out to be a HOFer.
I think what they are saying is he's better then McMullen from what was seen during the preseason games.
What happens during practices and training camp is different but during the games Carter stepped it up and McMullen did nothing.

Vikes_King
09-08-2006, 02:09 AM
guys, while i completely agree with everyone about carter, the one thing we need to take into consideration is this:

remember, childress and the staff have seen mcmullen in training camp drills, practices, and childress in philly.
it is possible that given seen what he did, childress wrote mcmullen in on the roster early in the preseason, which is why he didnt play much.
so instead of playing a guy he knew would make the team, he tried out the young new guys we had to see which of them we would keep; if any.

while i dont like the thought of losing a potential star over an unproven (so far unproductive) players, let us not judge him (too harshly) until a game or two has been played

ejmat
09-08-2006, 02:19 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

guys, while i completely agree with everyone about carter, the one thing we need to take into consideration is this:

remember, childress and the staff have seen mcmullen in training camp drills, practices, and childress in philly.
it is possible that given seen what he did, childress wrote mcmullen in on the roster early in the preseason, which is why he didnt play much.
so instead of playing a guy he knew would make the team, he tried out the young new guys we had to see which of them we would keep; if any.

while i dont like the thought of losing a potential star over an unproven (so far unproductive) players, let us not judge him (too harshly) until a game or two has been played

I could agree with your reasoning.
You could be 100% correct.
Personally, I don't buy into it.
Like I said I haven't seen much from McMullen.
People need to practice during game time situations and get your timing down with the QB.
Especially ones that will be playing.
Look at what happened to Dallas.
That pass to Owens in the endzone wasn't a TD largely due to Romo not having his timing down with Owens.
That should have been an easy score.
That's why practice is so necessary.
You can look at all the tapes you want (especially the 10 years of tapes Owens has) but if you don't practice with your team it will be a miracle if you come right in and the timing is down.
Now I do give TO props for taking extra time to work with Bledsoe this week.

Vikes_King
09-08-2006, 02:27 AM
i agree, i wish childress would have put him in on a few more plays in the preseason, im just throwing out a possibility, and suggesting that while i want to also, that we dont discount mcmullen, until he proves to us that he's not worth being on this team

Vikes_King
09-08-2006, 02:37 AM
heres some stats about mcmullen (once again, let me say im not defending the guy, but want everyone to have the facts before we flame the guy)

2005: a mere 18 receptions, however for 268, and average of 14.9 yards per catch, with 1 TD, and 5 of those catches for 20+ yards.

13 of the 18 catches were first downs.

career: when thrown to on 3rd downs, he averages 11.5 yards with making the first down 83.3% of the time.

Braddock
09-08-2006, 03:02 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

heres some stats about mcmullen (once again, let me say im not defending the guy, but want everyone to have the facts before we flame the guy)

2005: a mere 18 receptions, however for 268, and average of 14.9 yards per catch, with 1 TD, and 5 of those catches for 20+ yards.

career: when thrown to on 3rd downs, he averages 11.5 yards with making the first down 83.3% of the time.

Is that not perfect for our brand of WCO? I'm a big Carter fan, but if that's what he can do, then he fits real well into our scheme. King, you raised a good point earlier about maybe Childress didn't play him due to the fact of preventing injury/seeing young guys, w/e. Just cuz he didn't make big plays when he was rarely in, doesn't mean he CAN'T. I do think he should have been in more, but Carter did better than EVERYBODY, so he should be on the team roster. At least he didn't play like McMahon. I'd rather see average/nothing than horrible...

ejmat
09-08-2006, 11:34 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

Everybody take note to these stats.
These are good stats that matter.
VK thank you for showing them and I agree he should have been given more of an opportunity to play to get an idea on how he does.
The fact that he didn't play and Carter did as well as he did tells me to play Carter over McMullen.
Since that is not the case, I hope McMullen plays like these stats suggest.
Good post VK.

Prophet
09-08-2006, 11:44 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Vikes_King" wrote:

Everybody take note to these stats.
These are good stats that matter.
VK thank you for showing them and I agree he should have been given more of an opportunity to play to get an idea on how he does.
The fact that he didn't play and Carter did as well as he did tells me to play Carter over McMullen.
Since that is not the case, I hope McMullen plays like these stats suggest.
Good post VK.

Nice stats.

For some reason I get a feeling that Del Rio is going to jump in pretty soon and say, 'poish that turd, polish, polish, polish, make it shine.' or something like that.
;D

CCthebest
09-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Childress has done some great things? Name them. Hes done a few good things.

He doesnt like rookies. Hes much happier with lukewarm players he knows.

Prophet
09-08-2006, 12:24 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Nice to see that the lobotomy is working.
Take off your blinders.
He has made some questionable moves and a plethora of good moves that have been discussed in detail in a multitude of threads.
Unlike your ground-breaking 'Chldress has a god complex' comments and negativity that has been strewn throughout the website without and supporting facts.
For the third time, I'm asking you to start a thread and explain the Childress god complex theory.

Just in case you haven't learned yet.
People, everyone on the site, that thrwos stuff into the mix without some sort of supporting documentation gets called on it.
That's what puts this board above the 12-yr old run boards that are dominated by one-liners and ridiculous comments.
If something is supposed fact, document it.
People won't necessarily agree, but at least a discussion is developed.

CCthebest
09-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Prophet, I said hes done some good things. My point was someone posted he did some great things, and he hasnt. Closest thing we have to great is BJ.

One example of the Childress god complex is the way he dealt with Pep. He saw someone with a bigger ego then his own, and didnt even try to talk to him, let alone re-sign. I think that was a big mistake seeing we got nothing for Pep in return.

whackthepack
09-08-2006, 01:04 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Prophet, I said hes done some good things. My point was someone posted he did some great things, and he hasnt. Closest thing we have to great is BJ.

One example of the Childress god complex is the way he dealt with Pep. He saw someone with a bigger ego then his own, and didnt even try to talk to him, let alone re-sign. I think that was a big mistake seeing we got nothing for Pep in return.

You are so full of it!
Good to see you went and hid for a few days and then come back with the same crap again!

He tried to Daunte but all Daunte wanted to talk about was the pay raise he wanted, and will you finally get it through to your brain that Daunte forced the trade and didn't want to play here anymore!
A 2 year old can see that, but that is stretching your brain power.

Braddock
09-08-2006, 01:10 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Did you watch the Mia, Pitt game? The only mistakes we made is that we couldn't get a first rounder out of him. But he was just off his injury, so that would be highly improbably.

ejmat
09-08-2006, 01:28 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

- We brought in Hutch.

- We got rid of a whining QB that wasn't cooperating and he didn't give in.
Oh yeah, did I mention he bites when the game is on the line.
- He hired a great coaching staff
- He has brought in guys that have the ptotential to work in the system.
Not all pan out but some do.
That's the nature of the game.

That's just to name a few.
God complex...I think not.
Disciplinarian that does what's best for the team....I think so.
There's a difference.
Learn what the game of football is all about.
Discipline is necessary.
If you don't have it there are problems.

Prophet
09-08-2006, 02:47 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

That example is null and void.
I guess you will have to come up with another one to support your hypothesis.
I summarized the event leading up to Culpepper's exit from the team in this article (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=262&Itemid=121).
You are clearly wrong.
The article is not laced with my opinion, just a synthesis of events leading up to Daunte's departure.

Not getting fair compensation?
The perceived value from Daunte's crotch sniffers and the real market value for a sporadically good QB that just blew out his knee were two different stories.
Please address the facts leading up to his departure (see article).
In a nutshell Daunte handled the situation like a spoiled child and forced the trade.
The Vikings organization didn't go public until Daunte sent an e-mail to the Associated Press with a story defacing the Vikings franchise.

Daunte pooh on the team and his fans and lost his credibility.
Character flaw.
Much bigger than a mistake.

CCthebest
09-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Again, i said hes done a good job on a few things. Like signing Hutch (great would have been signing him for a few million less)

Letting Dante go may have been a good thing (I disagree though)...a great thing would have been to calm Pep down, tell him hes the man, and then sign a real WR, someone like moss, and not Stink. Someone worth big bucks that could catch those Pep passes. And then do a little QB coaching and try and teach Pep to read the more complex D's.

Zeus
09-08-2006, 02:55 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Again, i said hes done a good job on a few things. Like signing Hutch (great would have been signing him for a few million less)

Letting Dante go may have been a good thing (I disagree though)...a great thing would have been to calm Pep down, tell him hes the man, and then sign a real WR, someone like moss, and not Stink. Someone worth big bucks that could catch those Pep passes. And then do a little QB coaching and try and teach Pep to read the more complex D's.

The only WR out there who could consistently catch those rainbows was Terrell Owens.
You want that mess on your team?

And after six years in the league, your starting QB should not need "Remedial Defense Reading 101".

It seems that you're unwilling to acknowledge all the things Daunte did to alienate himself from his team and fans.
That Daunte was unwilling to go to the Titans when they came calling says volumns about him as a man.

=Z=

ejmat
09-08-2006, 02:55 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

If we signed Hutch for less he may not have been here.

Calming Pep down and signing someone like Moss didn't work the first time.
Why should we do it again.
The guy made errors even when Moss was on the team and choked in the 4th qtr.
Why do the same when it didn't work the first time around?

V-Unit
09-09-2006, 03:30 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

If we signed Hutch for less he may not have been here.

Calming Pep down and signing someone like Moss didn't work the first time.
Why should we do it again.
The guy made errors even when Moss was on the team and choked in the 4th qtr.
Why do the same when it didn't work the first time around?

IMO it didn't work because Tice was the coach. Daunte grew under Denny but when Tice took over his improvement simply stopped. I think a new coach was the only fix our team needed.

It is unfortunate that Daunte is no longer in Minnesota, but you cannot blame the reasons for his departure solely on pep or solely on Childress. There were some things that both of them did badly.

As far as in relation to the subject of this thread, these two rookies, Carter and Mathis, did absolutely nothing wrong. IMO Childress is at fault for choosing Pinner and Pinkston/McMullen over these two. It is even more ridiculous because of the Special teams potential that we lost without replacement. As I said earllier I truely believe that Childress has something against rookies.

You can make a strong argument about why Daunte had to go, but I have yet to see a strong argument from someone who prefers Pinner and McMullen over Carter and Mathis. That is one topic I would like to grill Childress on.