PDA

View Full Version : Childress conducts chemistry experiment



singersp
09-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Childress conducts chemistry experiment (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/657701.html)

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: September 06, 2006 – 12:11 AM

When Vikings players returned to their refurbished locker room at Winter Park this summer, they found more than new carpet and extra leg room. Coach Brad Childress had arranged players in mostly random order around the room, eschewing the traditional format of grouping them by position.
The approach left some interesting combinations. Cornerback Antoine Winfield, for example, found himself in between quarterback Brad Johnson and defensive tackle Spencer Johnson.

"Usually," Winfield said, "I'm with the defensive backs all in one section. Now, I'm next to Brad Johnson and Spencer Johnson. Those are guys I wouldn't necessarily talk to on a regular basis, and they're sitting next to me. So I think we all know each other a little better."

Childress said he devised the approach to help jump-start nontraditional player relationships.

"That's what makes the team," Childress said. "You know your position group, but how about getting to know the guys on the left and right of you, too? It's hard to ignore a guy that you're going to be with for six months and you're two feet away from him."

We hardly knew ye

The Vikings released offensive lineman Steve Edwards less than 24 hours after signing him to a two-year contract. It was not clear Tuesday whether Edwards ever practiced with the team -- Monday's practice was closed to the media -- but this much was certain: His departure opened a roster spot for free-agent linebacker Marquis Cooper.

Cooper spent the past two seasons playing for Tampa Bay, where current Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin was the defensive backs coach. Cooper, a third-round draft pick in 2004, had 27 special teams tackles in that span.

Purple pride redux

In a Washington Post story published Monday, former owner Red McCombs praised successor Zygi Wilf for responding forcefully to last fall's sex party on Lake Minnetonka. But McCombs took exception to the contention of Wilf and Childress that the franchise needed a culture change.

"I guess everyone has their own way of telling their story," McCombs told the Post. "I think it's unfortunate they've chosen to portray it that way. It's disingenuous. I'm not saying we created a bunch of Sunday school teachers. But for seven years, we were very much oriented toward the community. We were out in the community doing things."

McCombs added that Wilf and Childress "don't need to say they're trying to create a whole new culture. [They] can just say they're trying to create a better culture. That's what everyone tries to do."

Lester Bagley, vice president of public affairs and stadium development, said the team would not respond to McCombs' criticism.

"Mr. McCombs is right in that this organization has a long history of strong outreach in the community," Bagley said. "And he is right that the boat issue overshadowed a lot of good things that have been done during the Wilf ownership and prior ownership.

"One thing that has changed is the direction and commitment from ownership that giving back to the community is part of our core mission."

Etc.

• The Vikings announced they will induct former offensive lineman Randall McDaniel to their Ring of Honor. The ceremony will take place at halftime of the Dec. 17 game against the Jets.

• Defensive end Jayme Mitchell passed through waivers and was signed to the practice squad.

• Former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell will replace Jackie Slater as the NFL's appeals officer for player fines. Slater left the league office to join the Oakland coaching staff.

• Former Vikings quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan signed with New England's practice squad.


Kevin Seifert • kseifert@startribune.com

Prophet
09-06-2006, 07:42 AM
"That's what makes the team," Childress said. "You know your position group, but how about getting to know the guys on the left and right of you, too? It's hard to ignore a guy that you're going to be with for six months and you're two feet away from him."

Seems like a good move.
I guess I'm kind of surprised that this wouldn't be the norm.


...But McCombs took exception to the contention of Wilf and Childress that the franchise needed a culture change...

That's what I liked about Redneck McCombs, he was always on top of things.
No, there wasn't a problem with leadership or culture in the organization.
How could you say that?
Powerful men in leadership roles: McCombs, Tice, Cottrell, Culpepper....strong leaders all the way up the line
::).



• Former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell will replace Jackie Slater as the NFL's appeals officer for player fines. Slater left the league office to join the Oakland coaching staff.

I was hoping he would get a D Coordinator job with the Packers.

Del Rio
09-06-2006, 07:50 AM
Former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell will replace Jackie Slater as the NFL's appeals officer for player fines. Slater left the league office to join the Oakland coaching staff.

Well the old bastage found a job, thank god it isn't anywhere near a defense.

singersp
09-06-2006, 08:12 AM
"Del" wrote:


Former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell will replace Jackie Slater as the NFL's appeals officer for player fines. Slater left the league office to join the Oakland coaching staff.

Well the old bastage found a job, thank god it isn't anywhere near a defense.


Well if he's the appeals officer for player fines, will he be defending the players, there by still being on the defense side for the players or will he be hearing the appeals?

Either way, it will not be anywhere near a football field.

NordicNed
09-06-2006, 08:25 AM
When Vikings players returned to their refurbished locker room at Winter Park this summer, they found more than new carpet and extra leg room. Coach Brad Childress had arranged players in mostly random order around the room, eschewing the traditional format of grouping them by position.
The approach left some interesting combinations. Cornerback Antoine Winfield, for example, found himself in between quarterback Brad Johnson and defensive tackle Spencer Johnson.



They did the same thing when I was in high school with our lockers in the hallways...




I was put between to HOTTIES
;D




Did wonders for my social behavior......

Prophet
09-06-2006, 08:27 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:


When Vikings players returned to their refurbished locker room at Winter Park this summer, they found more than new carpet and extra leg room. Coach Brad Childress had arranged players in mostly random order around the room, eschewing the traditional format of grouping them by position.
The approach left some interesting combinations. Cornerback Antoine Winfield, for example, found himself in between quarterback Brad Johnson and defensive tackle Spencer Johnson.




They did the same thing when I was in high school with our lockers in the hallways...




I was put between to HOTTIES

;D




Did wonders for my social behavior......



I can tell.
:o
;D

gregair13
09-06-2006, 10:39 AM
the mix up in the locker room is a good idea. but not for a football team. you need your oline to gel together, that is why the sit together. same with every other position. i dont think it is really going to matter if your starting CB talks to your qb or not. sure it brings the team all together, but you do not need the offensive and defensive to gel together as much as you need to have each team gel with themselves.

singersp
09-06-2006, 08:47 PM
"gregair13" wrote:


the mix up in the locker room is a good idea. but not for a football team. you need your oline to gel together, that is why the sit together. same with every other position. i dont think it is really going to matter if your starting CB talks to your qb or not. sure it brings the team all together, but you do not need the offensive and defensive to gel together as much as you need to have each team gel with themselves.


Sometimes you have to look outside the box & take the blinders off.

There are plenty of other times when the defensive players will be sitting with each other & likewise with the offensive players. Team meetings, flights, buses, practices, dorms, hotels etc.

The locker room is just one facet of it. Until it's proved it isn't working, I see nothing wrong with it.

If no one ever tried anything new, we'd still be living in caves & killing animals with bones, rocks & sticks.

gregair13
09-06-2006, 10:03 PM
"singersp" wrote:


"gregair13" wrote:


the mix up in the locker room is a good idea. but not for a football team. you need your oline to gel together, that is why the sit together. same with every other position. i dont think it is really going to matter if your starting CB talks to your qb or not. sure it brings the team all together, but you do not need the offensive and defensive to gel together as much as you need to have each team gel with themselves.


Sometimes you have to look outside the box & take the blinders off.

There are plenty of other times when the defensive players will be sitting with each other & likewise with the offensive players. Team meetings, flights, buses, practices, dorms, hotels etc.

The locker room is just one facet of it. Until it's proved it isn't working, I see nothing wrong with it.

If no one ever tried anything new, we'd still be living in caves & killing animals with bones, rocks & sticks.

this is true. but really, is it going to matter if the defensive guys don't like the offensive guys? as long as they trust each other to do their respected jobs, there would not be a problem.

singersp
09-06-2006, 11:47 PM
"gregair13" wrote:


"singersp" wrote:


"gregair13" wrote:


the mix up in the locker room is a good idea. but not for a football team. you need your oline to gel together, that is why the sit together. same with every other position. i dont think it is really going to matter if your starting CB talks to your qb or not. sure it brings the team all together, but you do not need the offensive and defensive to gel together as much as you need to have each team gel with themselves.


Sometimes you have to look outside the box & take the blinders off.

There are plenty of other times when the defensive players will be sitting with each other & likewise with the offensive players. Team meetings, flights, buses, practices, dorms, hotels etc.

The locker room is just one facet of it. Until it's proved it isn't working, I see nothing wrong with it.

If no one ever tried anything new, we'd still be living in caves & killing animals with bones, rocks & sticks.

this is true. but really, is it going to matter if the defensive guys don't like the offensive guys? as long as they trust each other to do their respected jobs, there would not be a problem.


Don't know for sure. That's what we're going to find out. That's why it's called an experiment.

I also don't know if were the 1st team to try this or not.