PDA

View Full Version : I miss the offense of old.....

thevikingfan
09-05-2006, 04:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLBelJJbbU4

I know defense wins chmpionships and all that other crap but i saw this video highlights of 98 and it just brought back so much nostalgia and i really miss it....it made kind of sad i wish we still had carter and moss......

Mr Anderson
09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Imagine a defense with that offense, that would have won championships, but terrible management wouldn't allow it.

And Im still pissed.

ultravikingfan
09-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Better get used to not seeing that, and winning more meaningful games.

marcosMN
09-05-2006, 04:30 PM
That was awesome. Thank you, thevikingfan...

Prophet
09-05-2006, 04:41 PM
I don't think I would call 1998 the offense of old.
I definitely don't miss it.
It was fun, but got the Vikings got nowhere that meant anything.
Making the playoffs is nice, but if you always lose when it gets to the tough games it is all for nothing.
Once the team gets past wildcard weekend in the playoffs the teams are tough and a one-dimensional team has the odds stacked against them.

It's tough to have a top-tier defense when the offense holds onto the ball for a few minutes and then lets the opponent grind the ball down the field.
The defense gets worn out if it's always out there, regardless of their talent.
I'm all for a balanced attack where everyone does there role and a new star is recognized each game.
Screw the one-man hero bullshit.

I would rather have a ball control offense that eats up the clock any day of the week.
Give the defense some rest between sets.
Sure, I enjoyed the exciting big plays, but I would take an old-style smash-mouth team any day of the week over a glitzy big play team.

theman
09-05-2006, 04:45 PM
The offense of old was a power house.
The defense of really old was a power house.
Put the 2 together and that is where you get the championship team for 4 yrs. in a row (haha Patriots).
I AM A SINGLE MALE TEENAGER CALL 218-341-6535

Prophet
09-05-2006, 04:47 PM
"theman" wrote:

...I AM A SINGLE MALE TEENAGER CALL 218-341-6535

WTF is that all about.
Cajun has probably already called you, but save it for the 'flirting thread' in the two-beer forum.

sodaknick
09-05-2006, 04:55 PM
That was fun to watch. Remember, the Vikes had a pretty good defense, a very good running back in Robert Smith and an almost perfect kicker (ouch, that last one hurts).

Personally, I'm ready for a little smash mouth defense and ball control offense. SKOL!

marcosMN
09-05-2006, 04:59 PM
"theman" wrote:

Put the 2 together and that is where you get the championship team for 4 yrs. in a row (haha Patriots).

Be careful about posting your phone #. I'd never do it.

ultravikingfan
09-05-2006, 09:34 PM
"theman" wrote:

Too bad sheep cannot dial phones.

ThorSPL
09-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Somebody get that man a pair of velco gloves and send him towards Packer-land

TARKenton
09-05-2006, 09:57 PM
I loved that 98 team, BUT, at the same token I am sick of putting up points and getting nowhere.
I welcome the regime change and I think the Vikings will be real defensive this year.
I just hope we have enough offense when we need it.

Ultra-your boys ready for the showdown?
Ginn may have an unbelievable game now that brown is out.
Good luck to OSU.

Mr Anderson
09-05-2006, 09:59 PM
"theman" wrote:

I AM AN INTERNET PREDATOR. I'LL SEE YOU TONIGHT.

i_bleed_purple
09-05-2006, 09:59 PM
i bet its not even his phone number

boognish
09-05-2006, 10:06 PM
"Mr" wrote:

Imagine a defense with that offense, that would have won championships, but terrible management wouldn't allow it.

And Im still pissed.

To those who are complaining about the departures of some of the offensive talent.
Give this staff and ownership a few years to build the team the right way instead of doing it on the cheap or trying to take short cuts.
They're starting by building a strong nucleus of a team to build around, starting up front with the lines, building out the defense by trying to get a solid D back field and corp of backers.
If they can accomplish that this year and start trying to find the franchise skill players in the next couple of years, this team will have the makings of a Patriots like dynasty.
I mean really, if your team falls apart by taking two players out of the equation, then the team itself is a mirage anyway.
Look at the Niners, they put Young in and never missed a beat.
They even had success with Garcia because the TEAM was still strong at that point.

The Vikes are doing it the right way...finally.

NodakPaul
09-05-2006, 10:10 PM
"TARKenton" wrote:

I loved that 98 team, BUT, at the same token I am sick of putting up points and getting nowhere.
I welcome the regime change and I think the Vikings will be real defensive this year.

I hear ya.
I truely loved watching our explosive offense we became known for over the last decade... but at the same time I hated being known for a horrible defense.

I welcome the change.

thevikingfan
09-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey im all for defense and i do think we are heading the right way i just miss the expllosive plays (and im not talking about 2 players) robert smith randy moss chris carter jake reed plus the o-line was awesome christy,dixon cunningham,anderson robert griffith...ok griffith was a db but i miss the 98 team so much!

Braddock
09-05-2006, 10:18 PM
I do miss Cunningham, he was chill. Pep, however, I do not miss. Too many fumbles, too little dependability.

Potus2028
09-05-2006, 10:19 PM
the offense of old kept us from buying the defense of today..

all thats been said has been said.. but, i will say.. a defense can put up points and stop points.. an offense can only put up points.. i'd rather have the defense, even though i miss those 80yard bombs

thevikingfan
09-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Well at least we have something to look forward to after all tarvaris jackon is the next randall cunningham =)

thevikingfan
09-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Im an idiot i forgot to mention johnny randle.....definatly miss him too

Zeus
09-06-2006, 09:00 AM
"thevikingfan" wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLBelJJbbU4

I know defense wins chmpionships and all that other crap but i saw this video highlights of 98 and it just brought back so much nostalgia and i really miss it....it made kind of sad i wish we still had carter and moss......

If we still had Cris Carter, he'd be riding the pine because he's OLD and past his prime.

If we still had Moss, he's be a cancer in the clubhouse because this offense is not suited to his skill-set.
Designing an offense around a WR (Randy Ratio, anyone?) is dumb dumb dumb.

Does that highlight reel show them choking away the NFC Championship Game?

MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE.

=Z=

V-Unit
09-06-2006, 11:51 AM
I was excited about the new offense, until we let Burleson go, lost KRob, cut Carter, and replaced them with McMullen and Pinkston. The WRs are worse than last year, no doubt about that.

Krob
Williamson
Burleson
Taylor
Mrob
Carter

That is sick! We could have had that! At least three of those guys would have rose to lead a dynamic, passing attack and WCO offensive system. Now all we have are question marks.