PDA

View Full Version : Dayne Maybe?

ejmat
09-03-2006, 01:01 PM
http://www.startribune.com/507/story/652801-p2.html

I saw this on pro sports daily.
Dayne maybe a good pick up for those short yard situations.
It also states Jack Brewer was cut by AZ.
I always liked him.
I don't know why he gets cut.
Obviously the coaches see more than I but he's good on special teams and can provide more depth in the secondary.

What do you guys think?

Mr Anderson
09-03-2006, 01:13 PM
I say give Ron Dayne a shot, I think he got him self back in line, he came into the NFL with the Giants, who he grew up watching in NJ,(where he has the discus record and I saw him throw one over a fence into my friends backyard at a meet, not important though) and when he came into the NFL he was near his home, and just didn't focus on his career and partied way too much, now he's older and more mature, and I really think he's gonna blossom as a good NFL running back if someone gives him a shot, he's tremendously talented, but his head wasnt on straight.

Formo
09-03-2006, 01:14 PM
If Chester stays healthy, I honestly believe we won't need any short yardage RB.

With that said, I would love to see Dayne in a purple jersey.
I've always liked him, even though he was overrated comming out of college.

ejmat
09-03-2006, 01:17 PM
I think he'd be a cheap but good pick up.
It will add depth at RB and on special teams.
Same with Brewer.
Add depth at DB and on special teams.
No lose situations.
At RB I wasn't too impressed with Mathis although he did well at times.
I still say we need a LB but I haven't really seen who's out there yet.

VikingKen
09-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Not so great Danye. Isnt he another Heisman Jinx?

Ltrey33
09-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I don't really think we need him. We've already seen that Richardson can carry the ball in goal line situations (he did in the first preseason game and punched it in) and I think Chester/Fason can fit the bill as well. I don't think he's worth the money/the roster spot.

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 01:41 PM
I wouldn't mind if we brought in Dayne. There is a good chance this could happen given the Childress Wisconsin connection. But, if he did come in, I would think Wendell Mathis or MeMo would have to be cut and that would be too bad because I like both of them.

ejmat
09-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Another person I saw cut was WR Quincy Morgan from Pitt.
He's pretty good at WR and as a kick returner.
Maybe I should rename this thread to which roster cuts should we pursue.

VikesfaninWis
09-03-2006, 02:23 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

I don't really think we need him. We've already seen that Richardson can carry the ball in goal line situations (he did in the first preseason game and punched it in) and I think Chester/Fason can fit the bill as well. I don't think he's worth the money/the roster spot.

I totally agree..

PurpleAndy
09-03-2006, 02:24 PM
We don't need any more offensive linemen

ejmat
09-03-2006, 02:36 PM
"PurpleAndy" wrote:

We don't need any more offensive linemen

I think I missed a post.
Where did your statement come from?

CCthebest
09-03-2006, 03:12 PM
We have Tony Rich, what in the world would we need Dayne for? We have enough junk filling roster spots alrdy.

ultravikingfan
09-03-2006, 03:22 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

We have Tony Rich, what in the world would we need Dayne for? We have enough junk filling roster spots alrdy.

One is a FB, one is a HB.

Ultrapurple
09-03-2006, 03:29 PM
This is a chance for B.C. to disprove all the negative people out there who are calling us the Philadelphia Badgers! Ignore Ron Dayne and Bring Home Jack Brewer!!!
I think we have enough RB's in Taylor, Richardson, Faison, Moore, Owens, and Mathis
We are a little thin in the DB department and Could ALWAYS use veteran leadership on Special Teams! If he's still looking for that short yardage "monster" to get you two yards,......we still have a guy by the name of Kliensasser!! Please coach,......Bring
Jack home,......he can help us!!!

ejmat
09-03-2006, 04:04 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

One is a FB, one is a HB.

Here you go again CC.
What does T Rich have to do with Dayne.
Rich is a FB and Dayne is a RB.
What makes Dayne garbage?
Back up your pointless statements.

FuadFan
09-03-2006, 04:27 PM
We don't need him anymore now that we have Pinner and Richardson is going to be the guy we use in any short yardage situation anyway.

ejmat
09-03-2006, 04:49 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

We don't need him anymore now that we have Pinner and Richardson is going to be the guy we use in any short yardage situation anyway.

Yeah Pinner is a real stud.
He's done a lot in his career.
Richardson carries the ball once in the end zone and now he's our featured short yardage back.
Hint.
He's a fullback.
He won't carry the ball often.
He is used primarily for blocking.
Dayne would have been much better than Pinner.

FuadFan
09-03-2006, 04:56 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

Richardson carries the ball once in the end zone and now he's our featured short yardage back.
Hint.
He's a fullback.

Yeah Dayne's been a real stud he managed to fail within Denver's scheme so that must mean he's good and Richardson won't get carries because he is a fullback or is it
just because you said so, he can be used in short yardage.

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 07:07 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

Hint.
He's a fullback.

Yeah Dayne's been a real stud he managed to fail within Denver's scheme so that must mean he's good and Richardson won't get carries because he is a fullback or is it

I don't know if Dayne would have been a better addition than Pinner or vice versa, but I also don't think Dayne exactly failed within Denver's scheme. He suffered a turf toe injury in the Broncos' preseason opener in Detroit and that did him in. He slid from number one on the depth chart to number three. By the time preseason ended he just ended up being the odd man out in Denver, especially considering the success of undrafted rookie Mike Bell.

hawaiianvike21
09-03-2006, 07:42 PM
I dont think adding dayne would be a good idea. If he couldnt make it in denver where basically any avg back is transformed to a decent back, i dont think he will do well here. Besides we got enough depth at rb for now. We got moore, fason, taylor. Dont think we can afford another spot at rb since we need those spots for our new and incoming wideouts.

ejmat
09-03-2006, 07:47 PM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

Hint.
He's a fullback.

I don't know if Dayne would have been a better addition than Pinner or vice versa, but I also don't think Dayne exactly failed within Denver's scheme. He suffered a turf toe injury in the Broncos' preseason opener in Detroit and that did him in. He slid from number one on the depth chart to number three. By the time preseason ended he just ended up being the odd man out in Denver, especially considering the success of undrafted rookie Mike Bell.

Exactly.

Fuad.
It's not because I say so but if you are trying to tell me Pinner is better than Dayne it makes me question your judgement.
I never said T-Rich wouldn't get any carries.
I said his primary role was blocking.
He will get a few carries here and there but he's not going to be their primary short yardage RB.
His blocking will be more productive in that area.

coachdags
09-03-2006, 07:48 PM
ron dayne just signed with houston....

ejmat
09-03-2006, 07:53 PM
"coachdags" wrote:

Thanks for the update.

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 08:10 PM
"coachdags" wrote:

Not a big surprise considering Gary Kubiak (ex-Denver O-Coordinator) is now the head coach in Houston.

Kubiak signs a player that he is familiar with and knows his offensive scheme. Sounds familiar.

vikingbill50
09-03-2006, 08:30 PM
i am sorry and i am not saying that dayne isnt any good...but i think we have enough of childress's past players who are not really that good....he is already releasing good players and keeping his not so good favorites..

sleepagent
09-03-2006, 08:51 PM
Leave Dayne on the unemployment line.

He was useless for the Giants as a short yardage back.

ejmat
09-03-2006, 09:49 PM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

"coachdags" wrote:

Not a big surprise considering Gary Kubiak (ex-Denver O-Coordinator) is now the head coach in Houston.

Kubiak signs a player that he is familiar with and knows his offensive scheme. Sounds familiar.

If he is so bad why would his old coach sing him?
Kubiac must have thought he did just fine in his scheme.

cajunvike
09-03-2006, 10:24 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"kramer9guy" wrote:

"coachdags" wrote:

That...and the fact that Domanick Davis might be out for a significant portion of the season if not the whole season!

OR maybe his old coach just felt like SINGING!!!
:D

ejmat
09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"kramer9guy" wrote:

"coachdags" wrote:

That...and the fact that Domanick Davis might be out for a significant portion of the season if not the whole season!

OR maybe his old coach just felt like SINGING!!!
:D

LOL Cajun.
I guess I made a little boo boo.
Didn't you know I wanted us to pick up Dayne for his singing ability.
Not his running.
I don't think Pinner can even hold a note.

Warp
09-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Good he signed with Houston. We didnt need him. He never really proved himself to be a very good short yard man anyway.

ejmat
09-04-2006, 11:49 AM
"Warp" wrote:

Good he signed with Houston. We didnt need him. He never really proved himself to be a very good short yard man anyway.

How do you figure?
He does pretty darn well in short yardage situations from the games I saw.
When were you referring to?
The only year he had a hard time was his first year in the league.
He wasn't used as a short yardage person then but that is his main role now and he's been pretty good at it.

ejmat
09-04-2006, 11:50 AM
"Warp" wrote: