PDA

View Full Version : Vikings | Team expected to remain active

Prophet
09-02-2006, 11:10 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Team expected to remain active
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:01:53 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings will actively look to upgrade their roster over the weekend with players who have been released from other NFL teams. "If there is a player out there that can help our team," said vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman, "then we'll make that move. ... It could be an offensive lineman, a linebacker, a safety, a cornerback or a receiver or anything else. We are just going to keep improving the roster. We are not going to isolate it to an issue here or an issue there."

Vikes_King
09-02-2006, 11:14 PM
love it, we got the cap room, so why not?

never stop trying to improve our team =) as long as they dont cut anyone that should really stay

Potus2028
09-02-2006, 11:53 PM
well duh..
them and every other team in the NFL..
no brainer

(dont mean to be sarcastic, but all the other teams will be looking to upgrade too)

V-Unit
09-03-2006, 12:08 AM
If that means realizing we are thin at DB , then resigning Fox and Offord while cuttng Mitchell and and OL to make space, sounds good to me.

If that means cutting McMullen and signing Warrick or Rod Gardner, sounds good to me.

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 12:36 AM
So, I wonder how long it'll be before we bring Ron Dayne in for a look. There is that Childress/Wisconsin connection and all.

VikesfaninWis
09-03-2006, 12:43 AM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

So, I wonder how long it'll be before we bring Ron Dayne in for a look. There is that Childress/Wisconsin connection and all.

I doubt we will look at Ron Dayne, but I guess you never know.. We look pretty set at RB, but if they think he will help us, then they will give him a shot..

gregair13
09-03-2006, 01:37 AM
that is good to hear that we want to try and help the team. there must be someone who can come in

MaddenVodkaAddict
09-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Perhaps Mr. Rogers? Nah.

XxS2TheEvoxX
09-03-2006, 07:36 AM
I hope we take a look at Hanik Milligan. He's a really good special teamer.

Others I'd like to look at are Darius Watts, Charles Rogers, Tyrone Calico, Fred Matua, Terna Nande, Danny Clark, Orien Harris.

singersp
09-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Posted on Sun, Sep. 03, 2006

Vikings planning more moves (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15428603.htm)
Team gets rid of McMahon, Goldberg

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

There were no real surprises Saturday when the Vikings reduced their roster from 75 players to the NFL regular-season limit of 53.

In addition to veteran quarterbacks Mike McMahon and J.T. O'Sullivan, the Vikings released 19 more players, including guard Chris Liwienski and safety Willie Offord, and traded guard Adam Goldberg to St. Louis.

The Vikings also officially announced the signing of wide receiver Todd Pinkston, who agreed to terms Friday on a one-year contract, and placed cornerback Dovonte Edwards on season-ending injured reserve.

Edwards, the team's third cornerback and No. 1 nickel back, broke his right arm in Thursday night's 10-10 tie at Dallas and was expected to miss six weeks.

Vikings coach Brad Childress was not available for comment, but vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said the team's 53-man roster is likely to undergo some changes before the Sept. 11 regular-season opener at Washington.

"We'll be very active," Spielman said. "As we get the cuts tonight, if we feel there is a better player out there than is currently on our 53, then that's our job to get him in and to help us become a better football team. If there's a player out there, we'll definitely make a move."

The Vikings are particularly thin at cornerback, with only rookie Cedric Griffin and Ronyell Whitaker behind starters Antoine Winfield and Fred Smoot, who sat out the Dallas game because of bruised ribs.

Spielman wouldn't bite, though, when asked if that was a position the Vikings would be targeting.

"I don't want to get into specifics on what exactly we're looking for," he said. "We're not one guy away from the Super Bowl, and I don't think any team is ever one guy away from the Super Bowl. I think you take it on a case-by-case basis."

Three interesting cornerbacks to hit the waiver wire Saturday were Ray Mickens of the New York Jets and Matt Ware and Dexter Wynn of the Philadelphia Eagles.

The Vikings also might be living dangerously at running back, where Mewelde Moore missed the last three exhibition games because of a left knee injury, leaving Ciatrick Fason and undrafted rookie Wendell Mathis as the only healthy backups behind Chester Taylor.

Ron Dayne played at Wisconsin when Childress was an assistant coach there and is available after being released by Denver, but Spielman wouldn't comment on possible interest in him or any specific players.

"There'll be names out there and names that are well known," Spielman said. "But again, they have to fit the criteria of player that we're trying to bring in here, both on and off the field. As coach tries to establish a new culture, we want to make sure we bring in players that fit into that culture."

That probably means the Vikings won't be bringing in wide receiver Charles Rogers, who was released by Detroit three seasons after the Lions made him the second overall selection of the 2003 draft and has a four-game NFL suspension for substance abuse on his undistinguished résumé.

As for the players who were let go Saturday, McMahon said he didn't begrudge the Vikings' decision to release him after what he called the worst preseason of his NFL career.

He only wishes he would have gotten a better chance.

"I really felt I wasn't given the opportunity that I thought I was going to get when I signed here," said McMahon, who had a 23.7 passer rating in three exhibition games but didn't play in Thursday's finale. "I thought I would have gotten more reps, but I understand that they drafted Tarvaris (Jackson) and they wanted to take a look at him. That's football. Life's not always fair."

That also was the reaction of Goldberg, who grew up in Edina and said he was sorry to be leaving his hometown team but looking forward to a new opportunity in St. Louis.

"I was surprised," he said. "I really didn't know what to think. I do know we had a lot of offensive linemen who are good football players and something had to give. This is home so I hate to leave, but at the same time it's a great opportunity for me."

The Vikings will receive a seventh-round pick in the 2008 draft for Goldberg, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.

Of the other veteran players released, the most notable were linebacker Rod Davis, tight end Richard Angulo and cornerback Dustin Fox, the Vikings' third-round draft choice in 2005.

Also released were wide receivers Ryan Hoag, Chris Jones, Josh Davis and Kevin Kasper; cornerbacks Tony Beckham and Charles Gordon; defensive ends DeQuincy Scott and Khreem Smith; running back Adimchinobe Echemandu; fullback Steven Jackson; linebacker Kyle McKenzie; center Jason Palermo; offensive tackle Donald Penn; and defensive tackle Eric Taylor.

Sean Jensen contributed to this report. Don Seeholzer can be reached at dseeholzer@pioneerpress.com.

V4L
09-03-2006, 03:15 PM
I think we might bring in a corner.. And call this ironic but I do think the best available corner would be Dexter Wynn of the Philadelphia Eagles!!

That would be hilarious if we brought him in

One Love

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Active indeed...

Roster moves 9/3/06...

-They were awarded defensive back Rashad Baker on waivers from Buffalo. Baker has started three games in the past two seasons for the Bills, all at safety.

-They also were awarded running back Artose Pinner, who spent the past three years with Detroit and was the Lions’ second-leading rusher last season.

-To make room for Baker and Pinner, the Vikings waived receiver Jason Carter and running back Wendell Mathis, both undrafted rookies. If they pass through waivers, both players could be candidates to join the practice squad because …

-The team named only five players to its 8-man practice squad. They are:

TE Richard Angulo
CB Charles Gordon
WR Martin Nance
T Donald Penn
DE Khreem Smith

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/transactions

I'm glad Angulo and Gordon made it to the practice squad.

Ultrapurple
09-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Just read Justin Carter and Wedell Mathis are gone,..... I wansn't impressed by mathis, but I thought Carter had a future here,....seemed like a playmaker.

UndisputedVike
09-03-2006, 04:45 PM
I really don't agree with that, I mean what the hell.
>:(

EDIT: Jason not Justin, we also got RB Artose Pinner and S Rashard Baker off waivers...

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 04:48 PM
See "Vikings | Team expected to remain active" thread for details of the transaction.

Vikes_King
09-03-2006, 04:50 PM
ARGH THEY GOT RID OF CARTER FOR RASHAD BAKER!?

WHHHHHYYYYY

Vikes_King
09-03-2006, 04:51 PM
yeah, i just read about it there.. im with u on this ultra, mathis, im not surprised to see him go, i'll take Pinner over him..

but Baker over Carter...? come on >_<

AngloVike
09-03-2006, 04:54 PM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

Active indeed...

-To make room for Baker and Pinner, the Vikings waived receiver Jason Carter and running back Wendell Mathis, both undrafted rookies. If they pass through waivers, both players could be candidates to join the practice squad because …

hell of a gamble to take, Carter has been a surprise this off season and I'd hate to lose him now via waivers... we shall see

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 04:56 PM
Artose Pinner: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396062

Rashad Baker: http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493567

FuadFan
09-03-2006, 05:02 PM
I guess Baker is our answer to replace Devonte Edwards and we do need depth at corner I just hope we can get Carter on the practice squad intact. As for Pinner he is more experienced then Mathis and maybe he can spill the beans to us about what the Lions new staff has implemented.

V-Unit
09-03-2006, 05:13 PM
The whole coaching staff needs to be slapped. Cutting Offord and signing Baker is really unacceptable to me. So is releasing Jason Carter. You can compare Carter's production on offense to Farwell's production on defense in the preseason.

Say what you want but there is not much reason to be optimistic about our backups at QB, WR, RB, or DB. At least we have depth on the lines...

VikesfaninWis
09-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Wow, I didn't see Carter getting the axe.. I thought he was in line to take punt and/or kickoff returns? I guess not, any idea who will? I am going with Mewelde Moore now..

FuadFan
09-03-2006, 05:23 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

The whole coaching staff needs to be slapped. Cutting Offord and signing Baker is really unacceptable to me. So is releasing Jason Carter. You can compare Carter's production on offense to Farwell's production on defense in the preseason.

Say what you want but there is not much reason to be optimistic about our backups at QB, WR, RB, or DB. At least we have depth on the lines...

We have filled out our depth very well with the decisions made I like our RBs and QBs, our WRs have a mix of youth and experience, and our Dbs will be fine with this Tampa 2 how can you be upset that Offord was cut anyway that means both Will Hunter and Greg Blue are better then him and make the team better.

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 05:29 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

In all honesty, over the last week I think we have improved our backup depth. Bollinger is an obvious improvement over McMahon at QB, and like him or not a healthy Pinkston is an improvement over Carter at WR and even though I was a big supporter of Wendell this preseason, Pinner is an improvemnt over Mathis at RB. Sure, the Offord cut does boggle my mind, but I'm sure the coaches did it for a reason. Farwell made the team because of his special teams ability. I liked some of what Carter did this preseason, but he was just a stop gap as a return man. Sure, I hope Carter and Mathis both make the practice squad, but as far as I'm concerned, everything else seems to be coming together quite nicely.

Ltrey33
09-03-2006, 05:31 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"kramer9guy" wrote:

Active indeed...

hell of a gamble to take, Carter has been a surprise this off season and I'd hate to lose him now via waivers... we shall see

Well they weren't lying when they said they were going to "stay active"!
Wow....I did NOT see Offord getting cut. I don't know anything about the S they brought in, but I guess Childress likes him for some reason or another.

I am disappointed that Carter didn't make the team though. I thought he had a lot of potential. I really hope he makes the practice squad if he clears waivers.

V-Unit
09-03-2006, 05:46 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

We have filled out our depth very well with the decisions made I like our RBs and QBs, our WRs have a mix of youth and experience, and our Dbs will be fine with this Tampa 2 how can you be upset that Offord was cut anyway that means both Will Hunter and Greg Blue are better then him and make the team better.

Cutting Offord and then signing Baker makes no sense. Keeping Blue and and Hunter is fine, but Offord has experience and I don't see why Baker is any better than him.

I am optimistic about Bollinger, and our RBs, but the backup QB is brand new and the only backup RB with serious PT is the oft-injured Moore. It's apparent in other threads that I think Childress has made a mess of the WRs. You can find youth and experience without searching in the dumpster. Overall I think we had a wonderful offseason, but the roster compared to last year does not neccesarily show that, and some of the moves are questionable. If Tice were coaching this team we would go 7-9 at best.

nephilimstorm
09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
wendel mathis and jason carter have been waived says there nfl site

LAVike
09-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Not exactly thrilled by the moves so far . . . Pinkston, Baker, and Pinner?
Wow, the Vikes are really making a push for talent!
Very questionable moves (both cuts and acquisitions) by the "brain" trust.
Yikes.
I'm sure the other teams in the NFC North are shaking in their cleats!
Here's hoping that by the end of the season the roster is entirely ex-Eagles or ex-Badgers!

Hey it's up to the team to prove me wrong and go 16-0!
For their sake, I hope the signings are exactly what the team needs.

PurpleRide
09-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Wow i thought they kept jason carter, where have i been?
Man they should have kept the kid, he had talent, it looked like him and TJ were on the same page.
Its too bad, they COULD of been a nice tandom.
I hope the vikings can still keep him around for the practice sqaud.
I hope no one picks him up.

PurpleRide
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Wow, I didn't see Carter getting the axe.. I thought he was in line to take punt and/or kickoff returns? I guess not, any idea who will? I am going with Mewelde Moore now..

They should have cut i am always hurt moore and kept carter for kick/punt duties. How does moore keep a job when he is hurt all the time?

FuadFan
09-03-2006, 06:03 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

Cutting Offord and then signing Baker makes no sense. Keeping Blue and and Hunter is fine, but Offord has experience and I don't see why Baker is any better than him.

I am optimistic about Bollinger, and our RBs, but the backup QB is brand new and the only backup RB with serious PT is the oft-injured Moore. It's apparent in other threads that I think Childress has made a mess of the WRs. You can find youth and experience without searching in the dumpster. Overall I think we had a wonderful offseason, but the roster compared to last year does not neccesarily show that, and some of the moves are questionable. If Tice were coaching this team we would go 7-9 at best.

I think we will use Baker at CB I know he is listed at S but we will likely work him at corner while we have Griffin and Whittaker ahead of him. Our RBs are fine and Pinner knows what our rival the Lions are doing so maybe that info will help us down the road.

arrested_developer
09-03-2006, 06:29 PM
V-Unit; Until you or someone here gets a job with the Vikings' front office, don't say cutting Willie Offord in "unacceptable". You really have no idea why he was cut, so don't make the assumption that the staff made a dumb move.

chug o nomics
09-03-2006, 06:49 PM
"arrested_developer" wrote:

V-Unit; Until you or someone here gets a job with the Vikings' front office, don't say cutting Willie Offord in "unacceptable". You really have no idea why he was cut, so don't make the assumption that the staff made a dumb move.

You're an idiot if you think that just because someone is in the Viking staff, they aren't subject to making mistakes.
We let go of our special teams leader with experience for a scrub.
Also, I'd like for you to explain how a move like Hank Baskett for McMullen isn't a dumb move.
You're a narrow minded fool.
I assume that thousands of Lions fans were idiots for hating the Mike Williams pick, right?

chug o nomics
09-03-2006, 06:57 PM
I can't wait for him to be a star in another team.
Our management is just getting too sloppy.
They better hope no one gets Carter off of waivers.

sodaknick
09-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Alright, now it's getting just plain stupid. You could make an argument for signing Stinkston, but releasing Carter is idiocy.
>:(
Is McMullen still on the roster??!! I hate to say it, but I am quickly losing confidence in this front office and the decision making of our coaches.

UndisputedVike
09-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Well I have my doubts about Carter passing through waivers, the kid is talented and if a team with needs at WR like we are he'll be claimed quickly. As much as I owuld hate to admit, this might be a mistake on Childress' part, though I'm not going to sit here and bash him.

I am however very disappointed, I was hoping Carter would turn out to be a great player for us and become a starter someday. He gave us great versatility and the ability for trick plays as well. If he does make it through waivers and we sign him to the practice squad I'll feel better.

arrested_developer
09-03-2006, 08:14 PM
"chug" wrote:

You're an idiot if you think that just because someone is in the Viking staff, they aren't subject to making mistakes.
Also, I'd like for you to explain how a move like Hank Baskett for McMullen isn't a dumb move.
You're a narrow minded fool.
I assume that thousands of Lions fans were idiots for hating the Mike Williams pick, right?

Ok, now you're just putting words into my mouth. Sure, everyone makes mistakes, but to criticize someone for making a move with no inside knowledge of the players in question is the wrong thing to do.

How is Rashad Baker a scrub? In his 28 games in two years with the Bills, he's accumulated 40 tackles, 2 interceptions, and a sack. While Willie Offord put up 78
tackles and 2 interceptions in 47 games. His performance is just just as good, if not better than Offord's.

That's easy. Sure it was a dumb long term move, but the Vikings needed a receiver that could play right away. Baskett was a project that needed more work before he could be a go to guy. Childress had worked with McMullen, and knew how good he was, so he had to trade for him because he could be ready to play week one, unlike Baskett.

vikingbill50
09-03-2006, 08:24 PM
well there are 3 mistakes now concerning Mcmullen, #1 was trading him for Baskett, that is what traing camp is for ir to learn and it appears that Baskett has done so good he is projected as a starter, # 2 was releasing Hoag who has done a far better job than Mcmullen in preseason and camp as it has been reported and now # 3 si releasing Jason Carter and keeping Mcmullen, that makes no sense what so ever as carter has outperformed him in everyway..in my opinion, they are keeping mcmullen to save face as they know they made a big mistake in trading for him to begin with..which is another big mistake, you dont keep players just becasue you know them and want to save face...you keep the players who are better and who have earned it....

petrodemos
09-03-2006, 08:32 PM
im not sure how they can justify keeping someone who has shown nothing in pre-season (mcmullen) and letting a productive guy go. maybe its favortism, thats all i can think of. they know what carter and mathis brought to the table, no one including the coaching staff doesnt have a clue as to what pinkston and mcmullen will bring to the table THIS year, will pinkston be hampered by his achilles injury? is an injured WR better gthan a WR who is still learning? according to the coaching staff it is. carter and mathis were rookies who produced in pre-season games this year, why you wouldnt want those two on your team is beyond me.

maybe mcmullen is dating childress' daughter? (i dont even know if he has one thats of age) ;D

please dont reply that im bashing the coach, because il show you bashing if thats what you want.

Big C
09-03-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm sure that they released Carter with confidence that they can sign him to the practice squad. That's my only hope now. With the Pinkston trade we have 6 WRs but are lacking a starting (Nickle) CB. What other position could they have cut to make room for a CB?

Taking Pinner for Mathis was a good signing.

MaxVike
09-03-2006, 08:39 PM
I like the Pinner pickup...he can catch the ball out of the backfield, and has got to be more durable that MeMelty (haven't checked, but making an assumption).
I cannot stand the fact that we have two Eagles rejects and I need to listen to the press and obnoxious Eagles fans about Baskett.
Letting Jason Carter go is risky, we'll see if they can add him to the Practice Squad.
I continue to be nonplussed regarding the wide receiver situation, however, Childress is subscribing to the Andy Reid school...see the Eagles receivers.

I simply cannot agree with nor can I see what in the world they are doing with wide receivers.
Childress is obviously comfortable with Williamson, Taylor, Robinson, Kleinsasser, and Wiggins.....we'll see.

V-Unit
09-03-2006, 08:40 PM

Well, I believe I said the move was "unaccaptable to me." and really I do say that because it is my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. If you would like to share your opinion about why you disagree, I would welcome your comments.

Toro
09-03-2006, 08:53 PM
We have two Eagle rejects at the WR position - a team with one of the worst receiving core in the league - and cut two guys who stood out in the pre-season.

I want to say "stupid" but I'll reserve judgement since I'll trust Childress.

Hope we can sign them to the practice squad.

CCthebest
09-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Ziggie needs to pull in the reigns on Childress.

Cant believe my 2 favorite rookies, Mathis and Carter were cut for lukewarm players.

petrodemos
09-03-2006, 09:00 PM
vikings WR core is second grade compared to eagles WR core now. vikings get the eagles leftovers. i mean the eagles were dismall at the position, now they have stallworth and a rookie there drooling over in baskett :-[

im willing to bet that Memo will be cut and Ron Dayne is picked up here within a week or so. because im sure ron dayne is "familiar with the system" and a "good character guy". that way they make sure were not going to have a return game at all. like it isnt bad enough. ::)

to be fair though, these are all (as of the moment) mediocre guys (talented guys but unproven). but why does a roster needs to be upended in the backup position a week before the season starts? maybe offord was bitter for getting rid of tice? which i could see justifying cutting offord. and couldnt they trade him to arizona or jacksonville? maybe for, oh i dont know, a 7th round pick maybe? ::)

i almost want fran foley back! if i find out that spielman is behind this
>:(.....oooh man, PPO is going to have to come out with forum rules on official viking employee bashing. ;D

edit: a negatory on a dayne signing. he signed with houston...whew

HornedHat
09-03-2006, 09:00 PM
I must say I am confused by these moves. I thought we'd keep Carter for sure. I certainly like him better than McMullin. I'm not liking Brad's Eaglecentric tendencies. Like someone else said, I wish he had more of a Patriotcentric outlook. O Well. I have to believe he knows what he is doing, and won't bang on him...til next year, and hope I'll be praising him.

XxS2TheEvoxX
09-03-2006, 09:02 PM
I've heard good things about Rashad Baker from a Bills fan of mine. He wasn't expected to be cut from the Bills, but they chose to keep Coy Wire over him. He's supposidely a solid coverage guy.

I remember Pinner tearing us apart quite a few times. When he got the carries he produced.

I would have liked to see us hang onto Jason Carter though...

Also, I like the signing of Martin Nance to our practice squad.

vikingbill50
09-03-2006, 09:16 PM
in my opinion and this is mine...but someone needs to let childress know that this is the minnesota vikings, not the rejects of the eagles, i am not gonna say about pinkston yet as he hasnt played yet, but ishe 100% healthy, does anyone know and as far as the rest of the for former eagles, they are below average if you ask me, even artis heicks is having alot of problems with his position, mcmullen was bad idea from beginning and to keep him instead of carter and also releasing mathis, i just wish the coach would give us his point of thinking on this...i only hope that we get both carter and mathis on our practice squad...so far from what i am seeing..is favoritsim and not keeping who does the best job....

sleepagent
09-03-2006, 09:49 PM
The Pinner signing has some real potential.
Too bad he wasn't available for the entire preseason.
I would've liked to see how he would've done . . . especially since Taylor didn't light it up (I'm sure this has some loose ties to Taylor's lack of preseason production).
Nice pickup.

cajunvike
09-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Who in the F*** is Martin Nance...and why is he BETTER than Jason Carter???

cajunvike
09-03-2006, 11:16 PM
"vikingbill50" wrote:

in my opinion and this is mine...but someone needs to let childress know that this is the minnesota vikings, not the rejects of the eagles, i am not gonna say about pinkston yet as he hasnt played yet, but ishe 100% healthy, does anyone know and as far as the rest of the for former eagles, they are below average if you ask me, even artis heicks is having alot of problems with his position, mcmullen was bad idea from beginning and to keep him instead of carter and also releasing mathis, i just wish the coach would give us his point of thinking on this...i only hope that we get both carter and mathis on our practice squad...so far from what i am seeing..is favoritsim and not keeping who does the best job....

If that is indeed Childress's modus operandi of choosing players, we won't have to worry about him being here too long.
Only an idiot doesn't surround himself with the best players to help him succeed...and I guarantee that if Childress doesn't know what he is doing that the Wilfs will kick him to the curb right quick!!!

ejmat
09-03-2006, 11:18 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Got me Cajun.
I only hope Carter makes the practice squad.
I think he did heads above tails around the rest of our WRs.
I wish Hoag would have made the roster.
He's solid.

singersp
09-03-2006, 11:25 PM
They have cut Kight & Carter. Both of them were returning kicks & punts this preseason along with Memo.

Who will be doing the kick-off duties now?

Memo will probably be returning punts, but how will do it if & when Memo gets an injury?

sleepagent
09-03-2006, 11:32 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/martin_nance.html

cajunvike
09-03-2006, 11:32 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

Got me Cajun.
He's solid.

Nance made the practice squad...Carter is no where to be found!
Was Nance a former Badger or something?

ejmat
09-03-2006, 11:35 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

Got me Cajun.
He's solid.

I'm not sure.
Maybe he did.
I tried to look him up on the roster and he's not even mentioned.

whackthepack
09-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I posted this on August 17th and it will and is coming true.

I am pretty sure that the Vikings had clauses added to Koren's contract encase he started to have problems again, let's not forget that Wilf has had the team for only 1 year and the new coaching staff have been in place for 6 months.

The new coaches couldn't come in and let all previous regime's players go and start from scratch, after this season is over we will see some players let go or not resigned that will surprise everybody!
This is a work in progress and the weeding out of players that don't fit Childress's system or the new Viking's idea of what they want is ongoing and will be for at least another year.

Some people are going to be upset by it, and others are going to be happy about it.
But it will probably catch us all by surprise when some players are let go.

This I posted on August 24th

This is a make or break year for a lot of the Viking players that childress inherited!
Guys like Smoot, Napo, EJ, D-Thomas, MeMo, Klienny, Offord, Phat Pat, Kenechi, CJ Mosley, Rosenthal, Goldberg, Liwienski, Herrera, Marcus Robinson are the biggest names on that list and they have to prove their worth or they will probably not be back next year, and some might not make it on the team this year.

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 11:50 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

Got me Cajun.
He's solid.

Carter will make the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Braddock
09-03-2006, 11:58 PM
The Carter cut is absolute bullshit. He's tons better than Pinkston. Why is Childress fucking up now??? He was doing so well, but it appears he's reverting to favoritism. DAMN!!!

singersp
09-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Vikings sign DB Baker, RB Pinner (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/9636278)

Garland Greene
09-04-2006, 02:01 AM
I can't put my finger on this player. He's Big. And if he does sign who goes? I assume another Lineman

Vikings | Team visiting with S. Edwards; may sign him
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 22:29:53 -0700

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, of the Star Triune, report the Minnesota Vikings are visiting with free agent OL Steve Edwards (Bears). He could be signed to a contract as early as Monday, Sept. 4. Edwards played both guard and tackle positions for the Chicago Bears during his three-year career and could be a versatile backup.

#79 Steve Edwards | OT

Full Name: Steve Edwards
Born: February 20, 1979
Chicago, IL
Height: 6-5
Weight: 333 lbs.

Pos: OT
Experience: 4 years
College: UCF

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s6266.jpg

litlharsh
09-04-2006, 02:45 AM
So Carter is now officially history? Or trying to pass waivers to be on the squad?

digital420
09-04-2006, 03:41 AM
i really hope he's trying to pass waivers!!!

B.chill.. don't loose this kid!!

DiGiTaL

Benet
09-04-2006, 04:18 AM
So Childress is close to throwing away Carter too?

Why am I not surprised.

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 08:51 AM
well, all i am gonna say on this matter about carter and mathis again is that i really hope they clear waivers and get put on prctice squad, carter was dong so good and even the coaches praised him during games and all thru training camp and if i remember right, mathis was out performing all the other backs, these two really deserved to stay and i hope we get them back,

NaryBim
09-04-2006, 09:49 AM
"An undrafted rookie free agent out of Texas A&M, Carter has made the most of his opportunity...through three preseason games, Carter had four catches for a team-leading 155 reception yards, including a 77-yard touchdown. That was Carter's second touchdown in the three games. With Mewelde Moore nursing a knee injury, Carter also took over as the main return man on punts. His ability is matched by a personality the coaching staff seems to appreciate."

Geez...what's a guy got to do to make this team?

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 10:02 AM
guess what now...that edwards guy is another former childress player..was on practice squad with eagles....go figure

NordicNed
09-04-2006, 10:51 AM
"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

I can't put my finger on this player. He's Big. And if he does sign who goes? I assume another Lineman

Vikings | Team visiting with S. Edwards; may sign him
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 22:29:53 -0700

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, of the Star Triune, report the Minnesota Vikings are visiting with free agent OL Steve Edwards (Bears). He could be signed to a contract as early as Monday, Sept. 4. Edwards played both guard and tackle positions for the Chicago Bears during his three-year career and could be a versatile backup.

#79 Steve Edwards | OT

Full Name: Steve Edwards
Born: February 20, 1979
Chicago, IL
Height: 6-5
Weight: 333 lbs.

Pos: OT
Experience: 4 years
College: UCF

http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s6266.jpg

I hope he shines and gives us a reason to replace Rosenthal with him......

singersp
09-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Waiver pickups bolster depth at two positions (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/654069.html)
The Vikings picked up running back Artose Pinner and safety Rashad Baker as they further adjusted the roster.

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: September 04, 2006 – 8:39 AM

The Vikings continued tinkering with their roster Sunday, claiming two players on waivers and playing host to at least one veteran free agent at Winter Park.
Former Detroit running back Artose Pinner and ex-Buffalo safety Rashad Baker both landed with the Vikings through the NFL's waiver system. Offensive lineman Steve Edwards, released Friday by Chicago, was said to be visiting the Vikings and could be signed to a contract as early as today.

To make room on the roster, the Vikings waived receiver Jason Carter and running back Wendell Mathis. The Vikings hope to sign both to their practice squad today if they clear waivers. Carter, who caught four passes for 155 yards this preseason and also proved to be a reliable punt returner, could have other NFL suitors.

Holding out hope that Carter and Mathis would go unclaimed, the Vikings signed only five players to the eight-man practice squad Sunday. Four were with the team in training camp: tight end Richard Angulo, cornerback Charles Gordon, tackle Donald Penn and defensive end Khreem Smith. The fifth player was receiver Martin Nance, who spent time in Buffalo's camp this summer.

Meanwhile, the Vikings hope Pinner and Baker will provide depth at two positions that appeared light after the initial cutdown Saturday to 53 players. Pinner, 28, was the Lions' second-leading rusher in 2005, finishing with 394 yards, and he will push Mewelde Moore and Ciatrick Fason for carries behind starter Chester Taylor. Moore missed the final three preseason games because of a sprained knee.

Pinner's agent, Alan Herman, said Pinner was thrilled to be claimed by the Vikings.

"He couldn't be happier," Herman said. "The Vikings feel he fits their system very well, and Artose was certainly looking for a change of scenery."

Baker, 24, played the past two seasons for Buffalo, starting three games at safety and also playing extensively on special teams. After releasing veteran Willie Offord on Saturday, the Vikings had only one experienced safety -- Will Hunter -- backing up starters Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith.

Edwards played both guard and tackle positions for the Bears during his three-year career and could be a versatile backup. He spent five games on Philadelphia's practice squad in 2002 when Vikings coach Brad Childress was the Eagles offensive coordinator.

• Defensive end DeQuincy Scott, whom the Vikings released Saturday, signed Sunday with Tennessee.

• Scout.com reported guard Chris Liwienski agreed to terms with Arizona.

Staff writer Judd Zulgad contributed to this report.

Kevin Seifert • kseifert@startribune.com

stateVIKE44
09-04-2006, 11:05 AM

At least Childress isn't the only coach who likes signing players he is familiar with. Denny is picking up his old Vikings "throw away's".

spikecyrus
09-04-2006, 11:07 AM
not thrilled about j.carter, not thrilled at all. I hope nobody picks him up on waivers. now I need to figure out how to up load another photo.

marcosMN
09-04-2006, 11:14 AM
"spikecyrus" wrote:

not thrilled about j.carter, not thrilled at all. I hope nobody picks him up on waivers. now I need to figure out how to up load another photo.

No shite. I liked this kid alot, too.

At least we got rid of Chris "False-Start" Liwinski...

singersp
09-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Posted on Mon, Sep. 04, 2006

Quality is always a big deal (http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/15434596.htm)

TOM POWERS

Whenever there is a flurry of trades, my thoughts turn toward nondescript Mike Brown and the Minnesota Timberwolves. I can't help it.

The Twins acquired Phil Nevin, and the Vikings traded for Brooks Bollinger within hours of each other last week. And visions of the good-natured Brown appeared again.

In 1995, Brown was a friendly but mediocre center who was rather frustrated by the Timberwolves' halting progress. Some of us thought he was being picky. After all, the Wolves had gone 19-63 in 1993, 20-62 in 1994 and were on their way to a splendid 21-61 in 1995 when Brown's name started popping up in trade rumors.

The Big Brown Bear no doubt did the math and discovered that at the prevailing rate of team development he'd be 51 years old by the time the Wolves made it to the playoffs. So he couldn't contain his joy when the Boston Celtics inquired as to his availability.

His suitcases were packed as the trade deadline approached. Brown arrived at what he thought would be his final Wolves practice and awaited word from general manager Jack McCloskey. Suddenly, he was informed that the deal fell through.

Brown became so distraught they had to excuse him from practice so he could go home and lie down with a cold compress on his forehead. He stayed away the next day, too. It's the only instance I know of in which an athlete was granted a leave of absence because he was depressed over NOT being traded.

Recently, the Vikings acquired backup quarterback Bollinger from the Jets for defensive end C.J. Mosley and a draft pick. The Twins received Nevin, primarily a DH, from the Cubs for a player to be named.

These aren't major trades. On the surface, they both appear to be good moves. But history tells us that one has a better chance of working out than the other.

Give or take a few clunkers, the Twins have a long history of shrewd trades. It didn't start with A.J. Pierzynski to the Giants for Francisco Liriano, Joe Nathan and Boof Bonser. It goes back to Cesar Tovar for Gerry Arrigo and continued over the years with splendid deals that brought top players such as Dean Chance, Roy Smalley and Jeff Reardon to Minnesota for very little in return.

And the Pierzynski trade isn't close to being the best trade in franchise history. It isn't even Terry Ryan's No. 1 trade. His best trade, made under duress, was sending Chuck Knoblauch to the Yankees in 1998 for Cristian Guzman, Eric Milton and Brian Buchanan.

The Twins got good service out of all three. But the trade continues to pay dividends. Milton was traded to the Phillies for Nick Punto, Carlos Silva and a minor leaguer. Buchanan was shipped to the San Diego Padres for Jason Bartlett.

So half of the current starting infield and one member of the rotation is the direct result of trading Knoblauch eight years ago. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Like the Twins, the Vikings used to have a reputation for making great trades. How about Bill Brown coming from the Bears for a fourth-round draft choice? They got Ahmad Rashad from Seattle for a fourth-round pick and Bob Lurtsema. It was Lurtsy's biggest contribution to the team. They acquired Anthony Carter from the Dolphins for Robin Sendlein and a second-round draft choice.

They had a few busts, too. There was the deal that netted Gary Cuozzo for two No. 1 draft picks, which sort of foreshadowed the Herschel Walker calamity that set the franchise on its collective ear for years.

Vikings fans never will forgive Mike Lynn for sending five players and seven draft choices, including three No. 1s, to Dallas for goofy Herschel and several lower-round picks.

With the evolution of the salary cap, it has become increasingly difficult to make trades in the NFL. Recent Vikings deals have ranged from "blah" to awful. Randy Moss was a beauty, but getting Napoleon Harris in return? Chalk up one for the Raiders.

And the Vikings got taken to the cleaners when they let Daunte Culpepper go to Miami for a second-round draft choice. Watch what he does with the Dolphins.

Nevin has a good chance of being productive. Bollinger appears to be head and shoulders above the veteran backups he replaced. Plus, now that I think of it, starting guard Artis Hicks was acquired cheaply enough from the Eagles.

Maybe the trade winds are shifting back this way. Maybe.

Tom Powers can be reached at tpowers@pioneerpress.com.

Mr. Purple
09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
I like all the moves we've done so far, especially Pinner.I WAS very worried about our depth at RB after seeing Ciatrick go down 2 weeks ago.It brings you back to reality when you have a scare like that (his shoulder) and let me know that we still needed depth in that area.With MeMo always being hurt and Mathis being a undrafted rookie, I think Pinner will help to solidify that area on the team.

I hope Carter dosnt get signed bye any other team and we can put him on the practice squad.He had a solid preseason but nothing THAT amazing and thats why I think we'll still see Carter wearing purple this year.

Childress is making some good moves IMO,just
becuz guys where on the team dosnt mean thier any good.I'm still shocked over us letting D'Quincy Scott go...but hey Ray Edwards has jumped up the depth charts.

singersp
09-04-2006, 11:40 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

I like all the moves we've done so far, especially Pinner.I WAS very worried about our depth at RB after seeing Ciatrick go down 2 weeks ago.It brings you back to reality when you have a scare like that (his shoulder) and let me know that we still needed depth in that area.With MeMo always being hurt and Mathis being a undrafted rookie, I think Pinner will help to solidify that area on the team.

I hope Carter dosnt get signed bye any other team and we can put him on the practice squad.He had a solid preseason but nothing THAT amazing and thats why I think we'll still see Carter wearing purple this year.

Childress is making some good moves IMO,just
becuz guys where on the team dosnt mean thier any good.I'm still shocked over us letting D'Quincy Scott go...but hey Ray Edwards has jumped up the depth charts.

FYI, Mathis was cut.

marcosMN
09-04-2006, 11:50 AM
FYI, Mathis was cut.

Yeah, and that sucks through a straw.

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 12:02 PM
i am sorry for saying this again but still cant beleive they cut carter and let mcmullen stay...makes no sense..just because mcmullen has more experience...doesnt cut it

singersp
09-04-2006, 12:08 PM
"vikingbill50" wrote:

i am sorry for saying this again but still cant beleive they cut carter and let mcmullen stay...makes no sense..just because mcmullen has more experience...doesnt cut it

In an article I posted earlier, it says the Vikings are hoping that both Mathis & Carter clear waivers so they can sign them to the practice squad.

whackthepack
09-04-2006, 12:08 PM
For the people that are whining that Childress is bringing in ex Philly players, where were you when Tice was bringing in Maryland college football players?
Every year he would waste a draft pick to bring in his Alma matters crappy players, but I didn't see you guys on PP.O whining about that!

What about when Dennis Green took over he brought in players that he was familiar with form the 49ers, Roger Craig ring a bell!
He brought in players he was familiar with some that like Rogers had their best days behind him!

Were you whining then?

Seems that because Childress doesn't kept players you like, we have a problem!
Well I say thank god he is not listening to any of you, because the last I checked none of you are NFL player personnel directors or scouts!
they see these players every day and we don't, and they are paid to do this and we are not!
So I am going to trust them more then any of you, sorry but that is the way it is!

PS.
The Eagles before last year were the best team in the NFC for 4 f*cking years so I don't mind getting some of their former players!!!!!!

Mr. Purple
09-04-2006, 12:12 PM
"vikingbill50" wrote:

I hear ya...IMO I think that Carter still has ALOT to prove.And I wanna emphasize the word alot.He did all his damage against second and third string units.Every year rookie wide receivers across the NFL tear it up in preseason, often looking like studs.However alot of them never even make the team.They usualy end up on the practice squad.And I see Carter being no differnt.I think that untill he does what he did against some first string units in a real NFL game, hes still leagues behind McMullen and Pinkston.This dosnt mean I dont like the guy, I think he could be a great guy to spit the field and take it to the house.But I wanna have more proven Vet players on my team if I can.Hopefully the Vikes will get him on the practice squad.

ejmat
09-04-2006, 12:19 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

For the people that are whining that Childress is bringing in ex Philly players, where were you when Tice was bringing in Maryland college football players?
Every year he would waste a draft pick to bring in his Alma matters crappy players, but I didn't see you guys on PP.O whining about that!

What about when Dennis Green took over he brought in players that he was familiar with form the 49ers, Roger Craig ring a bell!
He brought in players he was familiar with some that like Rogers had their best days behind him!

Were you whining then?

Well I say thank god he is not listening to any of you, because the last I checked none of you are NFL player personnel directors or scouts!

they see these players every day and we don't, and they are paid to do this and we are not!
So I am going to trust them more then any of you, sorry but that is the way it is!

PS.
The Eagles before last year were the best team in the NFC for 4 f*cking years so I don't mind getting some of their former players!!!!!!

I personally don't mind getting some of their players either.
You are right in saying we don't see them everyday.
However, what I do see them in is game time situations.
To me, that's where it counts.
I'm not ready to criticize Childress yet however it doesn't mean I agree with everything he's done.
Basket for McMullen was a degrade in the WR corps in my opinion.
I like the Hicks pick up.
McMahon didn't work out (big deal) and Pinkyboy remains to be seen.
By the way, Steve Edwards, the OL from the Bears that may sign today was with the Philly practice squad 4 years ago.

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 12:21 PM
i agree somewhat with you..but mcmullen hasnt shown a thing either and carter also adds that he is also a good return guy which we are hurting at that position right now..moore is good IF he can stay healthy...

ThaSuperFreak33
09-04-2006, 12:59 PM
I wish we would sign Charles Rogers.
I know he didn't cut it in Detroit but he has potential to be a great WR.
He did have the broken collarbone but under Childress he could be coached into a #1 WR.
I am not happy with letting Carter & Mathis go because they both played very well in the pre-season and they looked very good.
I hope we sign them to the practice squad like I'm hearing before they get picked up by another team.

ChiTownVike
09-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Here's another addition I don't get

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikingsmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns

WE HAVE SOO MANY RB's!!!!!

I like the CB though just because he is from the UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE!!!

GO VOLS!!

skum
09-04-2006, 01:27 PM
We have 4?!.. We cut Matthis to make room.. 4 is normal..

alberta_vike
09-04-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm pissed they released Jason Carter. I wish they would have released McMullen instead of Carter.

Ltrey33
09-04-2006, 01:32 PM
This was already posted in the "Vikings expected to stay active" thread.

But as far as Pinner goes, I understand the signing completely. He's probably better than Fason and MeMo is hurt wayyyy too much. A little extra depth never hurt.

whackthepack
09-04-2006, 01:40 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Were you whining then?

PS.

I'm not ready to criticize Childress yet however it doesn't mean I agree with everything he's done.
By the way, Steve Edwards, the OL from the Bears that may sign today was with the Philly practice squad 4 years ago.

If Philly was thinking Baskett was the stud everyone claims that he is then why did they go out and get Stallworth and not have Baskett as one of their starters?

Baskett wouldn't have been in the top 4 WR's on this team and the same for Carter, he looked good in preseason which is no the same as regular season games and he was playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers so it is hard to say Carter was great when he wasn't playing with the 1st team.

As far as kickoff returns I will wager that Troy Willimason will be or kickoff returner and MeMo will be the punt returner.

singersp
09-04-2006, 01:44 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

Were you whining then?

PS.

If Philly was thinking Baskett was the stud everyone claims that he is then why did they go out and get Stallworth and not have Baskett as one of their starters?

Baskett wouldn't have been in the top 4 WR's on this team and the same for Carter, he looked good in preseason which is no the same as regular season games and he was playing against 2nd and 3rd teamers so it is hard to say Carter was great when he wasn't playing with the 1st team.

As far as kickoff returns I will wager that Troy Willimason will be or kickoff returner and MeMo will be the punt returner.

Simply because Baskett is a rookie & generally you don't want to start a rookie WR their 1st year.

singersp
09-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Where is Bills face when you need him?

Prophet? Where is Prophet?

olson_10
09-04-2006, 01:57 PM
we cut carter? the receiver that did the most out of anybody on our entire roster in the preseason..another mistake made at that position..billy mcmullen is complete garbage, and hes still on this roster for some really stupid reason

jargomcfargo
09-04-2006, 02:05 PM
It's easy to criticize the Baskett McMullen trade in retrospect. But if you go back to when the trade was made, Childress was trading an unknown undrafted rookie prospect for someone he thought could help him this year instead of later.
Bad trade?
Perhaps,but only in retrospect.

I don't think the Vikings dislike Carter but they are trying to slip him through waivers to get more work.He was only a reciever for two years in college.I think they feel he wouldn't play much this year on the active roster.So they are trying to get him on the practice squad.

Some of these moves for backups have to viewed from the perspective of upgrading our special teams. Backups have to be good special teams players.
Lord knows we have a great punter with Kluwe.But what's the difference if your teams have lousy coverage skills?

vikinggreg
09-04-2006, 02:07 PM

You can't expect Baskett to fill the holes left with the losses of TO, McMullen and Pinky. 2 out of 3 maybe

Garland Greene
09-04-2006, 02:07 PM
"ThaSuperFreak33" wrote:

I wish we would sign Charles Rogers.
I know he didn't cut it in Detroit but he has potential to be a great WR.
He did have the broken collarbone but under Childress he could be coached into a #1 WR.
I am not happy with letting Carter & Mathis go because they both played very well in the pre-season and they looked very good.
I hope we sign them to the practice squad like I'm hearing before they get picked up by another team.

Childress and Wilf are trying to get rid of charecter issues not bring more in

Property0f
09-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Waiver pickups bolster depth at two positions
The Vikings picked up running back Artose Pinner and safety Rashad Baker as they further adjusted the roster.
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: September 04, 2006 – 8:39 AM
The Vikings continued tinkering with their roster Sunday, claiming two players on waivers and playing host to at least one veteran free agent at Winter Park.

Former Detroit running back Artose Pinner and ex-Buffalo safety Rashad Baker both landed with the Vikings through the NFL's waiver system. Offensive lineman Steve Edwards, released Friday by Chicago, was said to be visiting the Vikings and could be signed to a contract as early as today.

To make room on the roster, the Vikings waived receiver Jason Carter and running back Wendell Mathis. The Vikings hope to sign both to their practice squad today if they clear waivers. Carter, who caught four passes for 155 yards this preseason and also proved to be a reliable punt returner, could have other NFL suitors.

Holding out hope that Carter and Mathis would go unclaimed, the Vikings signed only five players to the eight-man practice squad Sunday. Four were with the team in training camp: tight end Richard Angulo, cornerback Charles Gordon, tackle Donald Penn and defensive end Khreem Smith. The fifth player was receiver Martin Nance, who spent time in Buffalo's camp this summer.

Meanwhile, the Vikings hope Pinner and Baker will provide depth at two positions that appeared light after the initial cutdown Saturday to 53 players. Pinner, 28, was the Lions' second-leading rusher in 2005, finishing with 394 yards, and he will push Mewelde Moore and Ciatrick Fason for carries behind starter Chester Taylor. Moore missed the final three preseason games because of a sprained knee.

Pinner's agent, Alan Herman, said Pinner was thrilled to be claimed by the Vikings.

"He couldn't be happier," Herman said. "The Vikings feel he fits their system very well, and Artose was certainly looking for a change of scenery."

Baker, 24, played the past two seasons for Buffalo, starting three games at safety and also playing extensively on special teams. After releasing veteran Willie Offord on Saturday, the Vikings had only one experienced safety -- Will Hunter -- backing up starters Darren Sharper and Dwight Smith.

Edwards played both guard and tackle positions for the Bears during his three-year career and could be a versatile backup. He spent five games on Philadelphia's practice squad in 2002 when Vikings coach Brad Childress was the Eagles offensive coordinator.

• Defensive end DeQuincy Scott, whom the Vikings released Saturday, signed Sunday with Tennessee.

Staff writer Judd Zulgad contributed to this report.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/654069.htm

CCthebest
09-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Another lukewarm signing by Childress. Personally I would have given Mathis a shot at the #2 RB spot

Torontovik15
09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
I really dont mind the Pinner pickup, if u saw some of his games, u will understand he is a hard runner and will fight for those extra yards...I think he will do well in short yard situations...

I find it kind of funny that we always seem to pick up alot of personal from our division rivals...I guess playing them twice a year helps for evaluation...

jargomcfargo
09-04-2006, 02:42 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Cant believe my 2 favorite rookies, Mathis and Carter were cut for lukewarm players.

Childress should be fired right now!
The Eagles saw the mighty powerhouse Tice was building over here and sent Zygi over to fire Tice and hire Childress.
Reid told Childress to" go over there and neuter that organization.
Hire Foley to screw up the free agency and draft then create controversy by firing him the next day.
Send Culpepper packing and blame it all on Culpepper.
Refuse to have news conferences for a week or two then speak in sentances that make no sence.
Spend as much of your cap money as you can on a nonskill position player and structure it so you lose one of your best skill players.
Trade any good prospects you see to us and take all of our second rate rejects."
Oh yeah! It's obviously a conspiracy. We are FUBAR now and we haven't even started the season.

Garland Greene
09-04-2006, 03:02 PM
"Property0f" wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/654069.htm

THat is not surprising. He should help that OL right away

ejmat
09-04-2006, 03:24 PM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

Childress should be fired right now!
The Eagles saw the mighty powerhouse Tice was building over here and sent Zygi over to fire Tice and hire Childress.
Reid told Childress to" go over there and neuter that organization.
Hire Foley to screw up the free agency and draft then create controversy by firing him the next day.
Send Culpepper packing and blame it all on Culpepper.
Refuse to have news conferences for a week or two then speak in sentances that make no sence.
Spend as much of your cap money as you can on a nonskill position player and structure it so you lose one of your best skill players.
Trade any good prospects you see to us and take all of our second rate rejects."
Oh yeah! It's obviously a conspiracy. We are FUBAR now and we haven't even started the season.

What a joke!!!!!!!!!!
Be realistic will you.
That's exactly what happened (sarcasm).

LAVike
09-04-2006, 03:24 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

we cut carter? the receiver that did the most out of anybody on our entire roster in the preseason..another mistake made at that position..billy mcmullen is complete garbage, and hes still on this roster for some really stupid reason

Keeping both McMullen and Stinkston?
It comes down to the same crap we've been getting fed the whole offseason.
The Vikes get benchwarmers, but hey, "they know the offense from playing with Childress in Philadelphia."
Sorry, I'd much rather take my chances with Carter, who actually did something this preseason, than sticking with the Eagles' garbage.
So they understand Childress' playbook--who cares?!
Doesn't mean they'll be any good.
Knowing the offense does not equal talent/skill.

singersp
09-04-2006, 04:41 PM
From KFFL;

Vikings | Team signs Edwards
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 13:47:20 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star-Tribune, citing the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed OL Steve Edwards (Bears) to a two-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

singersp
09-04-2006, 04:45 PM
"singersp" wrote:

From KFFL;

Judd Zulgad, of the Star-Tribune, citing the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed OL Steve Edwards (Bears) to a two-year contract. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

My guess is Rosie is as good as gone!

Vikes_King
09-04-2006, 04:54 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

From KFFL;

thats what i was just giong to say =) i was surprised to see him on the roster instead of liwenski or goldberg, good bye rosie, welcome edwards

vikinggreg
09-04-2006, 06:18 PM
"singersp" wrote:

From KFFL;

you should of started a new thread for this, just for Caj

Vikes sign Edwards to two year deal

he would of really loved it ;)

singersp
09-04-2006, 06:21 PM
"vikinggreg" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

From KFFL;

you should of started a new thread for this, just for Caj

Vikes sign Edwards to two year deal

he would of really loved it ;)

Can do!

UndisputedVike
09-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Practice squad
Monday, September 4th, 2006 by Judd Zulgad

The Vikings have filled all but one of their practice-squad spots, signing receiver Jason Carter and running back Wendell Mathis on Monday. The team released both players from the active roster Sunday and they had to clear waivers before rejoining the practice squad. The Vikings now have seven players on the eight-man unit.

The group includes: Tight end Richard Angulo; cornerback Charles Gordon; tackle Donald Penn; defensive end Khreem Smith; receiver Martin Nance; Carter; and Mathis.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/

Phew, he passed through waivers.

Prophet
09-04-2006, 06:35 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

Practice squad

The Vikings have filled all but one of their practice-squad spots, signing receiver Jason Carter and running back Wendell Mathis on Monday. The team released both players from the active roster Sunday and they had to clear waivers before rejoining the practice squad. The Vikings now have seven players on the eight-man unit.

The group includes: Tight end Richard Angulo; cornerback Charles Gordon; tackle Donald Penn; defensive end Khreem Smith; receiver Martin Nance; Carter; and Mathis.

Good deal, I'm glad to see Gordon on the list.

digital420
09-04-2006, 06:37 PM
i can sleep much easier now that he is on the prac squad.. we really do need someone named Carter on the team!! and i hop he's got the potential to live up to the name!

DiGiTaL

Vikes_King
09-04-2006, 06:40 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

Practice squad

nice, i was worried we'd lose carter (and possibly mathis), our practice squad doesnt look bad at all, i like gordon, carter, and possibly mathis's chances in the future to make a team

singersp
09-04-2006, 06:53 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

Practice squad

Excellent news! I'm glad they cleared waivers & are signed.

FuadFan
09-04-2006, 07:07 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

From KFFL;

Nope we released Jayme Mitchell who will probably join Carter and Mathis on the practice squad and we are now have ten O-lineman on the roster.

Toro
09-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Good news.
Glad to hear it.

happy camper
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Whats the rule regarding practice squad relating to the regular season?

Can practice squad players be promoted to the active roster at any time?

If so, then getting Pinkston, I think, wasn't such a bad idea. Since the two rookies would see very limited action this season anyway.

LAVike
09-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Awesome . . . both Carter and Mathis are back.

kramer9guy
09-04-2006, 08:02 PM
The practice squad roster is looking pretty good. I like it.
:)

marcosMN
09-04-2006, 09:13 PM
"LAVike" wrote:

Awesome . . . both Carter and Mathis are back.

Hell yeah. I like both of them, especially Mathis. He has a strong chance to push Fason for the #2 spot down the line...

DaVizzles
09-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Awsome dude ;D i was so pissed >:(when they cut carter now im happy 8)

Prophet
09-04-2006, 09:19 PM
"happy" wrote:

If so, then getting Pinkston, I think, wasn't such a bad idea. Since the two rookies would see very limited action this season anyway.

The Wikipedia explanation is:

Each NFL team can keep up to eight members to their "practice squad" in addition to their 53 man main roster. They consist mostly of rookies who were cut in training camps and borderline NFL-caliber players. Both rookies and young veterans are eligible for the practice squad. However, a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than two seasons. Practice squad players practice alongside with main roster players during the week, however they are not allowed to play in actual games. They are paid considerably less that active squad players ($4000 per week or $64,000 per season, in compared to the NFL Rookie minimum salary of $225,000). They are also ineligible for many fringe benefits such as service time, pensions etc. They hope to be promoted to the active roster either by the team they are assigned to or another team who happens to be scouting them. They maintain free agent status in that they can sign with any team they wish, even if they are on another team's practice squad, without compensation to the original team. Many are former college players living in the surrounding city area, and the vast majority of them are forced to take other jobs to help support themselves during the season and off-season.

singersp
09-04-2006, 09:39 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"happy" wrote:

Each NFL team can keep up to eight members to their "practice squad" in addition to their 53 man main roster. They consist mostly of rookies who were cut in training camps and borderline NFL-caliber players. Both rookies and young veterans are eligible for the practice squad. However, a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than two seasons. Practice squad players practice alongside with main roster players during the week, however they are not allowed to play in actual games. They are paid considerably less that active squad players ($4000 per week or $64,000 per season, in compared to the NFL Rookie minimum salary of $225,000). They are also ineligible for many fringe benefits such as service time, pensions etc. They hope to be promoted to the active roster either by the team they are assigned to or another team who happens to be scouting them. They maintain free agent status in that they can sign with any team they wish, even if they are on another team's practice squad, without compensation to the original team. Many are former college players living in the surrounding city area, and the vast majority of them are forced to take other jobs to help support themselves during the season and off-season.

So they are still FA & can sign freely with any other team. It sounds like at any given time they can sign with any other team they choose. Even if it's on another teams practice squad.

BloodyHorns82
09-04-2006, 09:43 PM
I am going to be pissed if Carter gets signed off of our practice squad by some team in need of a receiever (Packers)

Prophet
09-04-2006, 09:46 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"happy" wrote:

So they are still FA & can sign freely with any other team. It sounds like at any given time they can sign with any other team they choose. Even if it's on another teams practice squad.

Doesn't make sense to me, it may be not totally true...it is from Wikipedia so some punk living in his mom's basement could have written the explanation.

Does anyone have a more reliable source?

ThorSPL
09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm REALLY surprised Carter cleared waivers - I still don't see how he wasn't on the 53 man roster based on what I was able to see and read about him...

Not able to see much since NFL Sunday ticket shoudl be called NFL Preseason Tease...

singersp
09-04-2006, 10:48 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"happy" wrote:

Doesn't make sense to me, it may be not totally true...it is from Wikipedia so some punk living in his mom's basement could have written the explanation.

This makes better sense to me;

Practice squad: Each team can place five players on this squad, and they are eligible only to practice. These players are paid $4,350 a week and are free agents. Teams routinely sign players from other teams' practice squads in order to complete their 45-man active rosters when they lose players due to injury or release them due to poor performance.

Source: Dummies.com (http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2081.html)

A player can be signed away from another teams practice squad, but it sounds like he would have to be placed on that teams active roster.

digital420
09-05-2006, 02:32 AM
I still dont know if i like the idea of them being able to be picked up by any team just like that.. and with no compensation.. that's kinda risky.

DiGiTaL

Prophet
09-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Most of this has already been posted, tough.
Just a short summary of some Vikings' moves yesterday.

===========================================================

KFFL
Vikings | Team has not ruled out C. Rogers
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 23:26:59 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress said he is confident in his wide receiver group. However, he has not ruled out taking a look at free agent WR Charles Rogers (Lions). Childress said, "He is a guy that's been released. I have not seen a snap of tape on him from the preseason, but we still have time."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Mathis signed to team's practice squad
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 23:21:34 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings signed free agent RB Wendell Mathis (Vikings) to their practice squad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Mitchell released from team
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 23:20:21 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings DL Jayme Mitchell has been released from the team.

Vikings | J. Carter signed to team's practice squad
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 23:19:46 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings signed free agent WR Jason Carter (Vikings) to their practice squad.

Vikings | Smoot should play Week 1
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 19:34:25 -0700

Minnesota Vikings CB Fred Smoot (ribs) returned to practice Monday, Sept. 4, and should be able to play Week 1.

Vikings | M. Moore should play Week 1
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 19:33:37 -0700

Minnesota Vikings RB Mewelde Moore (knee) returned to practice Monday, Sept. 4, and should be able to play Week 1.

Vikings | Edwards will undergo surgery on Tuesday
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 19:22:59 -0700

Minnesota Vikings CB Dovonte Edwards (arm) is expected to undergo surgery Tuesday, Sept. 5.

Vikings | Pinkston to be ready for season opener
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 14:47:15 -0700

The Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings WR Todd Pinkston (Achilles') says he is healthy and ready to go for the team's season opener Monday, Sept. 11. "I'm coming along fine," Pinkston said. "Just taking it slow, day by day. I'll be good to go on Monday night."

Vikings | Team signs Bollinger to extension
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:07:13 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings signed QB Brooks Bollinger to a two-year contract extension beyond the 2006 season Monday, Sept. 4. Bollinger was set to become a free agent at the end of the season.

Vikings | Team made no bid for Branch
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 07:00:51 -0700

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings were not one of the teams to make a bid for holdout New England Patriots WR Deion Branch.

Prophet
09-05-2006, 07:46 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"happy" wrote:

This makes better sense to me;

Practice squad: Each team can place five players on this squad, and they are eligible only to practice. These players are paid $4,350 a week and are free agents. Teams routinely sign players from other teams' practice squads in order to complete their 45-man active rosters when they lose players due to injury or release them due to poor performance.

Source: Dummies.com (http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-2081.html)

A player can be signed away from another teams practice squad, but it sounds like he would have to be placed on that teams active roster.

That makes more sense, they can nab someone off your practice roster if they plug them into the magical 53.

NordicNed
09-05-2006, 07:50 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Most of this has already been posted, tough.
Just a short summary of some Vikings' moves yesterday.

===========================================================

Vikings | Smoot should play Week 1
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 19:34:25 -0700

Minnesota Vikings CB Fred Smoot (ribs) returned to practice Monday, Sept. 4, and should be able to play Week 1.

You know Smoot wouldn't miss this game, I bet he'd try to play with a rib sticking out of his side... ;D

Prophet
09-05-2006, 08:01 AM
NFL 2006: Vikings still making changes heading into season (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5936202)
Associated Press
5 September 2006

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - Just when the Minnesota Vikings looked to have completed a massive offseason overhaul, the changes keep on coming.

A new backup quarterback. A new backup running back. Receivers. Defensive backs. The Vikings addressed all those areas over the weekend, just over a week before they open the regular season against the Washington Redskins on Sept. 11.
In the last few days, the Vikings have:

-Jettisoned Mike McMahon, who was a bust as the No. 2 quarterback.

-Traded for quarterback Brooks Bollinger from the New York Jets and signed him to a two-year contract extension.

-Signed maligned veteran Todd Pinkston in the latest effort to beef up a receiving corps rocked by the release of Koren Robinson.

-Signed running back Artose Pinner to provide depth behind starter Chester Taylor, a move necessitated by Mewelde Moore's lingering injury problems.

-Signed cornerback Rashad Baker after nickel back Dovonte Edwards was lost for the season with a broken arm against Dallas last week.

And they might not be done yet.

"We will continue working this roster probably right up until gametime," coach Brad Childress said Monday. "In terms of tweaking it, looking for people out there, seeing who best fits our situation."

The team that finally does take the field at Washington for the opener will carry little resemblance to last year's 9-7 team that missed the playoffs. Owner Zygi Wilf cleaned house in the offseason, firing coach Mike Tice, hiring Childress from Philadelphia, reshaping the front office and trading quarterback Daunte Culpepper to Miami.

Most of the big moves were made months ago, but this latest flurry of maneuvers shows that the rebuilding project is still very much a work in progress.

Bollinger was brought in to provide an experienced player behind 37-year-old starter Brad Johnson after McMahon was a complete failure in the preseason. With second-round draft pick Tarvaris Jackson considered the long-term solution at the position, Childress was looking for another veteran should Johnson go down.

The fourth-year pro started nine games for the Jets last season and now finds himself cramming like a college senior during finals week in an effort to get ready for the season opener.

"It's all happening pretty fast," Bollinger said. "It's going to take a little time."

Some might find all these changes this close to the season as a sign the team is scrambling to field a competitive roster. There also are questions about whether all these new players have jelled, especially on an offense that has eight new starters.

"It's just part of the business," said tight end Jermaine Wiggins, one of three remaining starters on offense in last season's opener. "There's always going to be turnover. ... The main thing is to keep showing improvement as we transition into Monday night."

The one pillar the Vikings have to lean on is the defense. The unit made significant improvements during last season's 7-2 finish and has been impressive this preseason. The starters have allowed just one touchdown, and that came when Pittsburgh opened the game in an unconventional no-huddle offense.

The players, most of whom were here last season, have been quick to embrace first-time defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin's cover-2 scheme.

"You've watched Mike call the defenses," Childress said. "Obviously he does a good job of mixing those things up."

The coaching staff, including offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and special teams coordinator Paul Ferraro, have meshed well. The lines of communication, Childress said, have been open and free-flowing and the gameday operations have been smooth.

"I'm very comfortable with those guys," Childress said.

Now all Childress can hope is that the players can exhibit similar cohesion, or things could get ugly early.

The Vikings open the season at Washington, followed by home games against Carolina and Chicago and a road trip to Buffalo. They also play at Seattle and host New England in the first eight weeks.

"We've done some things well, some things not so well," center Matt Birk said. "We just have to keep on working our techniques, working our schemes until we're comfortable with it."

singersp
09-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Posted on Tue, Sep. 05, 2006

Pinner hoping to stick with Vikings (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15440111.htm)
Former Lions backup provides versatility

BY MARCUS R. FULLER
Pioneer Press

Artose Pinner tried to make an impression this year in training camp with the Detroit Lions.

He had slimmed down 10 pounds from his listed weight of 235. He came in the healthiest he had ever been. And he was the most productive running back for Detroit after the first two exhibition games.

But Pinner still felt as if he were auditioning for another team.

He was right.

"Just feeling wanted again makes you want to go the extra mile," Pinner said.

The Lions released Pinner on Saturday, and the Vikings claimed him off waivers Sunday as a potential backup for starting running back Chester Taylor.

Behind starter Kevin Jones last year, Pinner was Detroit's second-leading rusher with a career-best 349 yards and three touchdowns.

Pinner rushed 10 times for 52 yards and a touchdown in two exhibition games this year, but he still faced an uphill battle to make the team after falling behind veteran Arlen Harris and third-round pick Brian Calhoun from Wisconsin.

Pinner, 28, made it known that he wanted to find a better situation. The Lions weren't able to trade him, but he believes everything worked out for the best.

"This is a West Coast offense," he said. "I'm familiar with it. I'm familiar with the NFC North, so I'm ready to hit the ground running."

Pinner, who also caught 21 passes for 181 yards last season, gives the Vikings another pass-catching threat out of the backfield besides Mewelde Moore, who missed three exhibition games with a knee injury.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Pinner's versatility made him a great find.

"If I'm not mistaken, we had a claim in on him, and Pittsburgh was right behind us," Childress said. "We're happy to have him, and I think he's a multiple-use back."

Player signings: With four more players left to fill the allocated eight spots on the practice squad, the Vikings announced Monday that they signed undrafted rookie wide receiver Jason Carter and rookie running back Wendell Mathis.

The Vikings claimed Carter and Mathis off waivers after releasing them Saturday. Carter led Minnesota in receiving during the exhibition season with four catches for 155 yards and two touchdowns. Mathis was second in rushing with 19 carries for 83 yards.

The Vikings also released rookie defensive end Jayme Mitchell on Monday, but he could make up the team's final practice-squad slot if he clears waivers.

Friend in need: Linebacker Ben Leber said he was stunned by Sunday's news out of San Diego that Chargers linebacker Steve Foley, his former teammate, had been shot three times by an off-duty police officer.

"He's a friend. He's a longtime teammate," Leber said. "I was as surprised as anybody when I heard what happened. Fortunately, his injuries aren't supposed to be life-threatening, so hopefully he's going to come out of this OK."

Foley, 30, had surgery for wounds to his leg, arm and chest after the early morning shooting. San Diego sheriff's officials said the incident occurred after an off-duty Coronado, Calif., police officer followed a suspected drunken driver weaving in and out of freeway traffic.

Leber, who played four seasons with the Chargers before signing in March with the Vikings as an unrestricted free agent, said he hadn't tried to contact his former teammate as of Monday but planned to.

"No conversations with him, and I haven't talked to anybody back there yet," Leber said. "I'll be making some phone calls later today."

The Chargers put Foley on the non-football injured reserve list Monday, meaning he will miss the season.

Injury update: Cornerback Dovonte Edwards, who was placed on season-ending injured reserve after suffering a broken arm Thursday in the exhibition finale against Dallas, is scheduled to have surgery today to repair a broken humerus bone in his right arm.

Marcus R. Fuller can be reached at mfuller@pioneerpress.com.

Prophet
09-05-2006, 11:20 AM
If they sign this clown I hope it's only for a couple packets of Kool-aid and a half-eaten slim jim....maybe after game 1.

==========================================================

KFFL
Vikings | Childress has not looked at film of Rogers
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 05:44:02 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress had not watched any film of free agent WR Charles Rogers (Lions), whom Detroit released Saturday, Sept. 3. However, Childress said, "we still have time."

CCthebest
09-05-2006, 12:38 PM
If we have both Rogers and Gator, we will be the laughing stalk of the NFL. Id rather see Carter.

Prophet
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Vikings still making changes (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2006/09/05/1803677-ap.html)
By JON KRAWCZYNSKI
5 September 2006

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) - Just when the Minnesota Vikings looked to have completed a massive off-season overhaul, the changes keep on coming.

A new backup quarterback. A new backup running back. Receivers. Defensive backs. The Vikings addressed all those areas over the weekend, just over a week before they open the regular season against the Washington Redskins on Sept. 11.

In the last few days, the Vikings have:

-Jettisoned Mike McMahon, who was a bust as the No. 2 quarterback.

-Traded for quarterback Brooks Bollinger from the New York Jets and signed him to a two-year contract extension.

-Signed maligned veteran Todd Pinkston in the latest effort to beef up a receiving corps rocked by the release of Koren Robinson.

-Signed running back Artose Pinner to provide depth behind starter Chester Taylor, a move necessitated by Mewelde Moore's lingering injury problems.

-Signed cornerback Rashad Baker after nickel back Dovonte Edwards was lost for the season with a broken arm against Dallas last week.

And they might not be done yet.

"We will continue working this roster probably right up until game time," coach Brad Childress said Monday. "In terms of tweaking it, looking for people out there, seeing who best fits our situation."

The team that finally does take the field at Washington for the opener will carry little resemblance to last year's 9-7 team that missed the playoffs. Owner Zygi Wilf cleaned house in the off-season, firing coach Mike Tice, hiring Childress from Philadelphia, reshaping the front office and trading quarterback Daunte Culpepper to Miami.

Most of the big moves were made months ago, but this latest flurry of maneuvers shows that the rebuilding project is still very much a work in progress.

Bollinger was brought in to provide an experienced player behind 37-year-old starter Brad Johnson after McMahon was a complete failure in the preseason. With second-round draft pick Tarvaris Jackson considered the long-term solution at the position, Childress was looking for another veteran should Johnson go down.

The fourth-year pro started nine games for the Jets last season and now finds himself cramming like a college senior during finals week in an effort to get ready for the season opener.

"It's all happening pretty fast," Bollinger said. "It's going to take a little time."

Some might find all these changes this close to the season as a sign the team is scrambling to field a competitive roster. There also are questions about whether all these new players have jelled, especially on an offence that has eight new starters.

"It's just part of the business," said tight end Jermaine Wiggins, one of three remaining starters on offence in last season's opener. "There's always going to be turnover. ... The main thing is to keep showing improvement as we transition into Monday night." The one pillar the Vikings have to lean on is the defence. The unit made significant improvements during last season's 7-2 finish and has been impressive this preseason. The starters have allowed just one touchdown, and that came when Pittsburgh opened the game in an unconventional no-huddle offence.

The players, most of whom were here last season, have been quick to embrace first-time defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin's cover-2 scheme.

"You've watched Mike call the defences," Childress said. "Obviously he does a good job of mixing those things up."

The coaching staff, including offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and special teams coordinator Paul Ferraro, have meshed well. The lines of communication, Childress said, have been open and free-flowing and the gameday operations have been smooth.

"I'm very comfortable with those guys," Childress said.

Now all Childress can hope is that the players can exhibit similar cohesion, or things could get ugly early.

The Vikings open the season at Washington, followed by home games against Carolina and Chicago and a road trip to Buffalo. They also play at Seattle and host New England in the first eight weeks.

"We've done some things well, some things not so well," centre Matt Birk said. "We just have to keep on working our techniques, working our schemes until we're comfortable with it."

COJOMAY
09-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Carter/Mathis clear waivers says Tribune

Garland Greene
09-05-2006, 11:52 PM
I am sure it is somewher on PPO but I have been hearing that the Vikes brought in Quency Morgan today for a workout. I have not been able to find anything to confirm this

vikingbill50
09-06-2006, 12:28 AM
just read that they cut edwards and picke dup some linbacker named cooper, i did some checking on him, scout,com says he is qucik but has alot of problems gettign away from blockers and is really undersized, so mixed feelings on that as edwards was a big guy hwo has experience at guard and tackle, does anyone know anymore about this and about cooper..he was on tampa bays prcatice squad when tomlin was there i know..

ejmat
09-06-2006, 12:42 PM
"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

I am sure it is somewher on PPO but I have been hearing that the Vikes brought in quncy Morgan today for a workout. I have not been able to find anything to confirm this

That would be an awesome pick up in my opinion.
I watched him play all last year.
He's a good WR and kick returner.
If we can snatch him, I say do it.

Garland Greene
09-06-2006, 02:45 PM
Some tibits from KFAN

I talked to Jason about and hour ago and he indicated to me just how disappointed he was that the team decided to cut him and place him on the practice squad.
He seemed very frusterated by the fact that he'd played as well as he had all pre-season and it wasn't enough.
We talked about the fact that he really just wants to play football and that this experience is only going to make him better.

He also indicated that while he would like to stay in Minnesota because he knows the offense and likes his teammates, his agent has been getting calls from several teams interested in him.
It sounded like any day now he may get an offer from another club to play and be on the active roster.

This is what I've been worried about because I knew with all the advance scouts at those pre-season games he couldn't have gone unnoticed.
Sounds like we may have seen the last of J.Carter in Minnesota, I hope he gets to a spot where he can show what he can do.
Adam Doctolero
KFAN AM 1130

re:Morgan
his agent told me the Vikes the favorite to sign him next week...the Vikes told him they like Quincy a lot...when I asked him if the Vikes should be viewed as the favorite he said "no doubt"

KFAN Doogie

THat would suck if Carter went elsewhere but I am happy for him if he does and gets a chance to prove himself somewhere. and More Quincy Morgan stuff si there has to be some legitamtcy to it.

Zeus
09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

I am sure it is somewher on PPO but I have been hearing that the Vikes brought in quncy Morgan today for a workout. I have not been able to find anything to confirm this

Quincy Morgan IS Todd Pinkston.
Why does one SUCK and the other is an "awesome pick up" ?

=Z=

Garland Greene
09-06-2006, 03:30 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

=Z=

I think the idesa of a player coming into a new system where stinkston has been in the system and not be successful

ejmat
09-06-2006, 03:42 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

=Z=

Not sure where you get that from.
From what I've seen of him he does just fine.
With all due respect, I think Todd Pinkston IS Todd Pinkston and Quincy Morgan IS Quincy Morgan.
Two totally different people.

Also, if you read most of my posts I'm being optimistic about Pinky boy.
I don't think I ever said he "sucked".
I didn't like the pick up.
That's very true.
However, if you look at what we need him for he may fit in just fine.
I've said this several times already.

Garland Greene
09-06-2006, 04:58 PM
I am glad you are optimistic. But I for one think Stinkston is horrrible. Will he prove me wrong I really hope so. But I really doubt it

ejmat
09-06-2006, 05:06 PM
"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

I am glad you are optimistic. But I for one think Stinkston is horrrible. Will he prove me wrong I really hope so. But I really doubt it

I think he has his ups and his downs but his downs outweigh his ups.
I don't like the fact he shies away from passes across the middle.
To me that's not a real football player.
I'm not sure how long he's done that for but I question how he made it this far if he's always done that.
I still hope he is able to spread the field when he's in.
If teams are able to stack the box we may be in for a long season.

vikingbill50
09-07-2006, 12:48 AM
i just cant beleive that childress will let carter go to another team and not put him on ours, cut McMullen and get carter on the roster...that would be a bad move if we let cater go.