PDA

View Full Version : Childress in charge: No doubt about it

singersp
09-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Posted on Sat, Sep. 02, 2006

Childress in charge: Vikings' new boss leaves no doubt about it (http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/15422758.htm)

DAVE CAMPBELL
Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Brad Childress gets it from the strangers all the time: "Aren't you that guy from that show?"

If they're older, they ask about "Simon and Simon." If they're younger, it's "Major Dad." Either way, the Minnesota Vikings coach has been mistaken for TV actor Gerald McRaney more often than not.

But despite his responsibility running the region's most popular sports team, Childress hasn't yet assumed a high profile around the Twin Cities, unlike his predecessor with the booming baritone, Mike Tice.

It's been only eight months since Childress was hired, but the bald, slender 50-year-old - who is about a foot shorter than Tice - is more interested in an incognito lifestyle. His small build and habit of covering up a nearly bare head has helped keep Childress, who is married with four children, from spending too much time in the spotlight.

"There's a lot of mustached guys with hats on," he said with a wry smile during an earlier interview in his office right before training camp began.

Convinced that the Vikings, 9-7 last season, were the most talented team with a coaching vacancy, Childress jumped at the opportunity and immediately began establishing his identity as a stern, disciplined, steady face of a franchise undergoing significant changes.

He made headlines this winter with critical comments about unhappy quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who was ultimately traded away, the first sign that Childress is serious about making clear who is in charge.

Even with less availability to the media from him and the rest of the front office, it has not been difficult to determine the philosophies of this new-look organization - which was officially purchased by Zygi Wilf, his family and friends in the summer of 2005.

Childress is a major part of this transition by an operation focused on cleaning up its image in the community, securing funding for a new stadium and rebuilding a consistent winner on the field - and keeping business a secret whenever possible, hardly a startling development in today's NFL.

Trust and accountability are of immense importance to Childress, who was born and raised in Aurora, Ill., and spent a big chunk of his coaching career as a college assistant at Illinois and Wisconsin before joining Philadelphia's staff in 1999.

He's adamant about keeping a level head and making sure all of his coaches understand their roles and what he wants from them and his players - bringing many of his styles, routines and preferences from his days under coach Andy Reid with the Eagles.

At first glance, Childress is a dry, tight-ship, no-nonsense guy with a rasp, gravelly voice. Asked in the spring during minicamp about his supposed elation over finding backup quarterback Mike McMahon available as a free agent, he replied flatly: "I don't know if I deal in 'happy' that much."

A few weeks later after another offseason workout, Childress told reporters how he canceled practice the day before in favor of a team bowling outing. He declined to participate, though, serving as commissioner in much the same fashion as he did at the Vikings' annual charity golf event.

"Somebody has got to have oversight on that type of thing," he said.

There is a looser side to him, though. Reporting last month that Tank Williams would miss the season because of a broken kneecap, Childress acknowledged that he became a little "emotional" in the locker room when he saw the veteran safety and learned his fate.

In his office at team headquarters, eager to show a couple of visitors, Childress practically leaped out of his chair and beamed about some of his favorite football memories that hung on the wall in the form of large framed photographs: the 2004-05 Philadelphia team that went to the Super Bowl, the 2003-04 NFC Pro Bowl team and the 1993-94 Wisconsin team that won the Rose Bowl.

Childress quickly mentioned that he'd like to see some Vikings photos up there, too, perhaps remembering he had work to do and how maintaining a flat line is one of his mantras.

"Never too high and never too low," Childress said. "The speed of the captain is the speed of the ship, so I think that's really important."

Vikes_King
09-02-2006, 01:58 PM
good read =) childress has always seemed like a class A guy, i hope we're all right about our hopes for him

and i too hope theres soon some vikings pictures up there

CCthebest
09-02-2006, 03:47 PM
God help us....................

NordicNed
09-02-2006, 03:49 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

God help us....................

CC, WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE TEAM?.......I haven't seen you say anything positive about the Vikings yet.....Are you sure your in the right forum?

CCthebest
09-02-2006, 04:02 PM
The Vikes of course!

I read stuff like this about Childress and all I see is a couch with a god complex. I sure hope im wrong about him, he cant be worse then Tice.

MensaTice
09-02-2006, 10:43 PM
CC, you are a broken record.
Go away

Prophet
09-02-2006, 11:05 PM
He sure is a broken record (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&action=profile;u=7649;sa=showPosts).
I already asked him to start a thread and explain his 'god complex' comments that he tosses out there all the time, it's painful to even think of that post.
The content (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=73&topic=26634.70) of his posts are negative, which is fine if that's what you're into, but the problem is they lack content or support and most of the time are just flat-out made up.

I guess there's the 'ignore' option.
Does that make it so you can never see someone's posts again?

singersp
09-03-2006, 01:08 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

He sure is a broken record (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=150&action=profile;u=7649;sa=showPosts).
I already asked him to start a thread and explain his 'god complex' comments that he tosses out there all the time, it's painful to even think of that post.
The content (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=73&topic=26634.70) of his posts are negative, which is fine if that's what you're into, but the problem is they lack content or support and most of the time are just flat-out made up.

I guess there's the 'ignore' option.
Does that make it so you can never see someone's posts again?

That's what I was wondering. Is it just for that thread or is it forever.

I wonder if the CC in his name stands for cold & callous.
;D

It's OK to disagree with others on certain opinions, but to live in a negative world & be a "doubting Thomas" all of the time is just unhealthy.

Try looking at some positives & post about that. Certainly you must see some positive aspects in the Vikings.

Braddock
09-03-2006, 01:12 PM
It's forever, until you change it back of course...

VikesfaninWis
09-03-2006, 01:20 PM
How can you not have positive things to say about this team under Childress? He came in, got rid of the negatives and replaced them with positives, and has run a no nonsense team since coming to Minny.. We have a better team then we did last season, and it is in large part due to Brad Childress.. We look faster on defense, more comfortable on offense, and just all around better.. Give the guy a break, he has only coached in preseason, and from what I saw, did one hell of a job..

PurpleRide
09-03-2006, 01:24 PM
What is god going to do?
Maybe the vikings will be like the angles in the outfield movie, now when the O line blocks for taylor instead of what happend in the preseason god will jump in between hutch and mckinnie and a boom down the sidelines for 6.
Maybe thats what he means by god help us.
Maybe he wants tice back to tell the fans they are idiots for giving their point of view on his sunday night show.
Maybe god will build the stadium for us...churches say god builds their home all the time.
Maybe CC is a bible beater and he is trying to get god to bless this site making it the site for all people regardless of what faith they have.
YES!
I will go to church again because god will help the vikings and no one else now!
Great idea CC we are all in gods hands miami is a givin now!!!!!

singersp
09-03-2006, 01:26 PM
No matter what our opinions are there are three rules to remember;

1. Childress is in charge, there is no doubt about it.

2. No matter what our opinions are, we can't change rule #1.

3. Never forget rule #1.

NordicNed
09-03-2006, 01:27 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

How can you not have positive things to say about this team under Childress? He came in, got rid of the negatives and replaced them with positives, and has run a no nonsense team since coming to Minny.. We have a better team then we did last season, and it is in large part due to Brad Childress.. We look faster on defense, more comfortable on offense, and just all around better.. Give the guy a break, he has only coached in preseason, and from what I saw, did one hell of a job..

I'll second that post... ;D

Formo
09-03-2006, 01:56 PM
"Braddock" wrote:

So you are saying that if I 'Ignore' CCthebest, I won't have to burden myself to his posts, EVER?

Back on topic now..
I'm happy with Childress.
The Vikings need a coach like Childress, and if there is any a coach that can turn the Vikings from the NFL's misfits to the NFL's finest, I whole-heartedly believe that Brad Childress is that coach.

We as fans need to be patient with him, but more importantly, be patient with the team as a whole, these things take time.
I hope that the Wilfs understand this as well.
If so, the Vikings are in good hands.

ejmat
09-03-2006, 02:14 PM
People say patience is a virtue.
Deal with it CC.
If you loke the Vikings at least give them a chance.
There are things that have happened that most of hasn't agreed with.
The bottom line is he is more capable of doing his job than we are.
That's why we are here posting and he's making the decisions.

You have every right to your opinion but what has this guy done to make you such a hater?
IMO he's upgraded this team if you look at the whole picture.
Again, I didn't agree with every choice but I still think the team is better.
If you have a thought post it.
But back it up as to why.
Don't talk about preseason picks up that didn't make it.
Every single team in this league has those.
It's part of the game.
Your comments such as "God help us!" do nothing but make you look like a jack@$$.
Not everyone will agree all the time but atleast show some football wisdom while making comments.

singersp
09-03-2006, 02:27 PM
"Formo" wrote:

"Braddock" wrote:

So you are saying that if I 'Ignore' CCthebest, I won't have to burden myself to his posts, EVER?

The down side of that is you will not get to see his response to any of your posts.

CCthebest
09-03-2006, 04:07 PM
What has Childress done for the Vikes since hes been head coach?

IMO, hes messed up on draft (reguardless of how TJ plays for us in the future). Could have managed it better

He didnt bother with Pep, even if pep wanted too much and wanted to go (once he saw who our head coach was)

He thinks he can only sign ex sucky eagles. We dont even know if Hicks is any good. Wish he had a love affair with ex Pats instead.

He wants luke warm, no trouble players, and yet, since he came here, the Vikes are on the news almost every nite.

I have no choice but to give him a chance like everyone else. But when he fills a roster spot with Stinkerston, I am going to bitch.

ultravikingfan
09-03-2006, 04:22 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

IMO, hes messed up on draft (reguardless of how TJ plays for us in the future). Could have managed it better

He didnt bother with Pep, even if pep wanted too much and wanted to go (once he saw who our head coach was)

He thinks he can only sign ex sucky eagles. We dont even know if Hicks is any good. Wish he had a love affair with ex Pats instead.

He wants luke warm, no trouble players, and yet, since he came here, the Vikes are on the news almost every nite.

I have no choice but to give him a chance like everyone else. But when he fills a roster spot with Stinkerston, I am going to beeyatch.

You are so clueless man.
Are you 12 or what?
The season has not even started.

NodakPaul
09-03-2006, 04:37 PM
CC, please expand on some of your statements.
It will help me understand your point of view.
I enjoy discussing the Vikings with other people, even those who don't share my opinions.
But it is hard to engage in intelligent debate when your posts are vague, insulting, and unsupported.

How could he have managed it better?
Don't just vaguely say he messed it, be specific.
Did he mess up (in your opinion) by the way he traded picks to get the players when he wanted them?
Are you unhappy with the players he drafted?
These could both be valid points, and were discussed quite a bit at PP.O.
But all in all I am satisfied with the draft.
There probably were things he could have done better, but given our past draft history under Tice, I was happy.

What do you mean by didn't bother with him.
This is one of the things you have said repeatedly on this forum, but never really offered anything to support it.
Prophet put together a pretty detailed timeline of the Culpepper exodus.
I think mistakes were made by both, but the outcome was inevitable regardless.
Culpepper needed his contract redone, and the only way that could happen is if he was traded.
I was not happy with the way he was traded, but I understood his desire to go.

I also don't think that who our head coach was had anything to do with Pep wanting to go.
If might have been more about who our head coach no longer was, but IMHO it was almost entirely about the money... not that there was anything wrong with that.
Again, i don't fault pep.
The NFL is a business.

A bit of an exaggeration here, as we all know that not every signing came from the eagles.
When you say things like "he thinks he can only sign ex sucky eagles," you lost the debate before it even starts because your statement is so obviously embellished.
But I do understand and sort of agree with your point.
Every new coach likes to bring in people he is familiar with, but Coach Childress seems to have taken it to the next level.
But if you look at the signings, the Vikings have still benefited from them.
McMahon was worthless, and Childress knew this by the second preseason game.
And now he's gone.
Hicks was a good pick up.
I have been happy with his performance so far.
Pinkerton isn't my favorite signing, but he coordinately doesn't hurt us.
He adds depth to a position that could use it.

Again you lost me here.
Are you seriously going to blame Ko-Ro's relapse on Coach Childress?
Wow.
I think he runs a much tighter ship than Tice did.
If they are on the news every night where you live, then it speaks more to the local media's efforts at Viking bashing than to the discipline installed by Childress.

Vrehna
09-03-2006, 05:19 PM
I like Childress and the way that he runs this team, how he runs practice, how he handles himself, and how he talks during interviews.
However I do have problems with the players that he has had a part in letting go of.

The situation with Culpepper was not Childresses fault, but you have to admit that he had something to do with it.
He also had a hand in not resigning Lance Johnstone, who which we signed DeQuincey Scott instead (who we just released), and I disagree with the drafting of Ryan Cook and the letting go of Willie Offord.
But these are just my personal opinions, I disagree with the decisions that were made.
Though I'm really not the export here,

PurpleRide
09-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I do think childress could have handled the pep situation much better, remember childress refused to let him see the playbook.
I have a feeling he just did not want him here, he wanted his own QB and that is TJ.
Its a done deal, cannot take anything back so it is time to move on.
TJ is the future, thats all we can look forward to now.
I was not happy with the situation until I saw TJ playing much better than anticipated and now I am quite excited for the future of this team.

singersp
09-03-2006, 11:19 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

I do think childress could have handled the pep situation much better, remember childress refused to let him see the playbook.
I have a feeling he just did not want him here, he wanted his own QB and that is TJ.
Its a done deal, cannot take anything back so it is time to move on.
TJ is the future, thats all we can look forward to now.
I was not happy with the situation until I saw TJ playing much better than anticipated and now I am quite excited for the future of this team.

We can twist that even farther, were all the veterans that were let go or cut this season on the "Love Boat" last year?
???
;D

whackthepack
09-04-2006, 12:26 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:

I have no choice but to give him a chance like everyone else. But when he fills a roster spot with Stinkerston, I am going to beeyatch.

Here is a response I did on another thread to one of the many "CC the worst" whinny posts, he is like a broken record and never backs up his posts and his warped views but waits a few days and posts the same crap which really makes me think he is a Packer fan and to chicken sh*t to admit it.

Whacker, couple of reasons I cant stand Childress.

A) He couched for the Eagles, and just cant get over his love affair with them

B)He didnt even bother talking to Pep. Only Childress has a bigger ego, for no reason at all, then Pep

c)His eye for talen brough us McM for QB.

I vcould go on and on about things like the draft but im at work and time is pressing

He did try to talk to Daunte and to meet with Daunte but all Daunte wanted was to meet with Wilf and Briezinski about getting more money!

Oh no, Childress coached for another team!
get out the firing squad!

If you have slept the last 18 hours the Vikes traded for another QB, so he tried out a QB from Philly and is letting him go.

The draft:

He was not the lone voice in the warroom, maybe you heard of the triangle of authority. Childress didn't just pick all the players he wanted he had to deal with Foley and Studwell, and they didn't agree with each other at all and they almost got in a fist fight in the warroom over not taking Clemens.

Lets look at the selections.

The Vikes choose the best LB available in the 1st round, and there was no way to foresee that Greenway would get hurt in the 1st preseason game.

Next the Vikes took Griffin who a lot of experts considered the best pure corner in the draft.

I agree the selection of Cook was bizarre, but speculation was that Foley did this selection because he and Studwell were fighting about who to draft and he did it to show Studwell that he was in charge.

T-Jack looked great in the preseason and it looks like the Vikings choose wisely and that trading up for him was a great move.

Ray Edwards looks like a steal in the draft for the 4th round.

Blue is a monster hitter and has laid the smack down in every preseason game.

That is the worst draft ever!
Bring out the firing squad, again!

I would rather they not have selected Cook in the 2nd round and that they would have used that pick on Hodge from Iowa, but if Clemens wouldn't have been snipped in front of us by the Jets he would have been the selection and that is what set off the fight between Studwell and Foley.

I enjoy telling you that Childress is going no where, and he will be here for a lot of years!
So either learn to deal with it, or the other option is to become a fan of another team (I heard Green Bay needs fans).
But could you please quit your whining about Childress and whining that the Vikings are going to be the worst team ever because if you feel that way then cheer for another team.

singersp
09-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Childress in Charge (http://vikings.scout.com/2/564338.html)

Prophet
09-04-2006, 04:59 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

... one of the many "CC the worst" whinny posts, he is like a broken record and never backs up his posts and his warped views but waits a few days and posts the same crap which really makes me think he is a Packer fan and to chicken sh*t to admit it.

You may be onto something.
The thing is, when anybody makes generic statements or supposedly false statements there is a high likelihood of someone asking for verification or additional insight into their way of thinking.
That is one of the nice things about this board.
But, when someone repeatedly makes ridiculous statements and doesn't address the responses and then chooses to keep making the same ridiculous statements in other threads and over the course of time they lose credibility.
Everyone has a mental list of which posters they enjoy reading and which posters they avoid.
I presume most people want others to read their posts.
The problem isn't that CC hates Childress, it's his irrational reasons that are backed up with presumptions and nothingness.
Hate him.
Just give reasons as to why you hate him and if your reasons are along the lines of, "He coached for Philly" and nothing more than say it once and move on.
I can't believe I just wasted another paragraph addressing this.
Where is that dull Tice-used pencil?
I need to poke my other eye out.

Vikes_King
09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Childress in Charge (http://vikings.scout.com/2/564338.html)

this was one of the best parts i found about that article

“I’m never satisfied,” he said. “That is one of my shortcomings by nature, but the guys are working extremely hard. You see progress and you are encouraged by that. We tell the guys every day to come out here with the attitude that you are going to get some new problems. We have to get rid of the old problems and find new ones. They have taken that approach and because of that the quality of play has gone up.”

its good to have a defense coordinator that never is satisfied, tomlin will always be pushing them to be better, thats exactly what we need in a defense coach