PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for Pinkston..........

fasn8u
09-01-2006, 11:19 AM
I read this note at the end of last nights game recap.
Knew it was coming, what with Childress' endless ex-eagle love affair and all......

Vikings coach Brad Childress said the team is considering signing Todd Pinkston, who was released by Philadelphia. Childress was the Eagles' offensive coordinator last year. ... Childress also worked with Owens in Philadelphia, but they didn't talk before, during or after this game. ...

Not sure how I feel about this one, nice speed but alligator arms.

marcosMN
09-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Man.
8) We already have one wuss on our team in MeMo. We DON'T need another one in Pinkston...

oakmage
09-01-2006, 11:43 AM
:o Please say it is not true :o I mean please say it is not true
:o not only does the man have alligator arms but an alligator body as well.
I mean of
those NFC title games they lost is because their wide receivers sucked and Pinkston was on of them sucking it up so please do not sign him.
If it happens I will start to wonder about our head coach mental state.

Prophet
09-01-2006, 11:51 AM
It's usually best to start a new thread when about 5 about Pussyton already exist.

Click on Bill’s face
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/callingtheshots/images/groundhog_day.jpg (http://www.linuxbench.org/Posting.html)

josdin00
09-01-2006, 11:52 AM
What are you talking about?! Pinkston went to how many NFC Championships?! He'd be great!

Okay, I'm kidding. Leave him on the street. In fact, I heard New Orleans is in need of a new #2 WR.

V4L
09-01-2006, 12:09 PM
I guess i'd have to say I wouldn't be apposed to this..

He wouldn't be our number 1.. Like he was in Philly, which is why he sucked in my opinon..

If the price isn't too steep I wouldn't mind adding him.. I do think he is better then M-rob..

One Love

vegasvike
09-01-2006, 12:15 PM
"V4L" wrote:

I guess i'd have to say I wouldn't be apposed to this..

He wouldn't be our number 1.. Like he was in Philly, which is why he sucked in my opinon..

If the price isn't too steep I wouldn't mind adding him.. I do think he is better then M-rob..

One Love

I havent been here for a while but I cant believe you would say that Pussyton is better than M-Rob. I have a friend who is a die hard Eagles fan and HE says that Pussyton should not even be in the league. I PRAY we dont sign her

V4L
09-01-2006, 12:29 PM
I too have a friend who is a diehard Eagles fan.. And i've watched my fairshare of Eagles games.. He isn't as bad as people think.. Being the number 2 or 3 would be a good role for him.. I think he could also do good in the WCO with the short routes and what not..

I had to check stats.. Sorry for the people who hate that.. he did have a year where he had about 800 yards and 7 TD's.. Not bad for a guy who shouldn't be a number 1, but a number 2 or 3..

One Love

Prophet
09-01-2006, 12:35 PM
"V4L" wrote:

I too have a friend who is a diehard Eagles fan.. And i've watched my fairshare of Eagles games.. He isn't as bad as people think.. Being the number 2 or 3 would be a good role for him.. I think he could also do good in the WCO with the short routes and what not..

I had to check stats.. Sorry for the people who hate that.. he did have a year where he had about 800 yards and 7 TD's.. Not bad for a guy who shouldn't be a number 1, but a number 2 or 3..

One Love

Yep, this is the guy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ls794MhIkU4&mode=related&search) I want to have doing our short routes.
Unless they can pick him up for minimum wage and he knows how to mix up a vat of gatorade I hope he stays on the streets.

ThaSuperFreak33
09-01-2006, 12:37 PM
He could not even break out with Mcnabb as his QB.
I'm just tired of seeing Childress pick up these washed up ex-Eagles players and Brooks Bollinger.
Maybe the Lions will cut Charles Rogers or Mike Williams soon and we could grab one of them.
At least they are still young and have potential to be #1 Wr's.
They did play for Lions who had no QB.

marcosMN
09-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Yep, this is the guy I want to have doing our short routes.
Unless they can pick him up for minimum wage and he knows how to mix up a vat of gatorade I hope he stays on the streets.

Lol. You know he's gonna sign. That's just how things go around here...

8)

BloodyHorns82
09-01-2006, 12:43 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

One Love

Yep, this is the guy (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ls794MhIkU4&mode=related&search) I want to have doing our short routes.

Wow, after watching that video I am convinced I want nothing to do with Pussyton.

ViKing24
09-01-2006, 12:44 PM
I don't want stinkston

Ltrey33
09-01-2006, 01:16 PM
You guys are harsh! I think I could do without Pinkston, but I wouldn't be totally averse to him coming to Minnesota. He wouldn't be a number one or two (possibly not even a third) wide receiver.

Plus, I think you guys are focusing too much on the "alligator arms". He does have them and that's a major no-no for a receiver, but you're still talking about a guy that can get anywhere from 35-60 receptions per year. If nothing else, he adds some more depth.

Prophet
09-01-2006, 01:22 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

You guys are harsh! I think I could do without Pinkston, but I wouldn't be totally averse to him coming to Minnesota. He wouldn't be a number one or two (possibly not even a third) wide receiver.

Plus, I think you guys are focusing too much on the "alligator arms". He does have them and that's a major no-no for a receiver, but you're still talking about a guy that can get anywhere from 35-60 receptions per year. If nothing else, he adds some more depth.

Correction.
He has an 'alligator body' according to the quote
;D.

I won't lose any sleep if he signs or doesn't...as long as it's for minimal coin.
I doubt I'll be rushing out to buy a Pussyton jersey if he does sign.

ejmat
09-01-2006, 01:24 PM
To be honest I would rather pick up Rodgers if Detroit waives him.
Please don't blame anything on Detroit on the QB (whoever stated that before).
They never had any front line and Harrington never had tiime to throw.
When he did have time he did very well.
Look how he's doing now in Miami.
He gets protection and he is looking sharp.

As far as Rodgers is concerned, I think he's better than Pinky-boy.
He's younger and more talented.
I'd rather have him.

sodaknick
09-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Who would Stinkston replace? I wouldn't take him over Carter or M-Rob. If he comes in after the four good receivers we already have, I'm willing to give him a shot (as if I have anything to do with the decision), but if it means jettisoning one of them, forget it.

oakmage
09-01-2006, 03:09 PM
Do I think we need to sign him?
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Just in case you did not get it NO NO DO NOT SIGN HIM, WE DO NOT NEED HIM NOT AT ALL NOT ONE BIT.
SO NO NO NO NO NO DO NOT SIGN HIM

farvathevikinglover
09-01-2006, 03:13 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

I'd rather have him.

Concerning Harrington, you're only half right. He did get more bad rep than he should have, but it was also the receivers who would mess it up as much as the line sometimes. Harrington sucked, just not as much as he gets credit for.

Benet
09-01-2006, 03:25 PM
I'd rather not see him in a Vikings uniform, but crying about it won't change anything.

DarrinNelsonguy
09-01-2006, 03:25 PM
KFAN also reported that Pinkston is in town today and I hope we do not sign him. He cannot go over the middle and make catches and I don't think he would be an upgrade over what we have now.

Newman
09-01-2006, 03:41 PM
"farvathevikinglover" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

I'd rather have him.

Concerning Harrington, you're only half right. He did get more bad rep than he should have, but it was also the receivers who would mess it up as much as the line sometimes. Harrington sucked, just not as much as he gets credit for.

just saw on sportscenter that the lions are gonna release rogers.

Json
09-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Please don't start bashing me for saying this because I know some of you like to get real sentimental about things on here, but Childress keeps bringing in left overs and unwanted players from the Eagles and I don't like it.
Pinkston is a joke.
I can't stand watching this crap.
I got mad love for the Vikings but I just think getting Pinkston is a bad move on childress's part.

sodaknick
09-01-2006, 03:55 PM
We don't need no stinkin' receivers! I think the game last night showed that BJ spreading the ball around will work fine. I'm happy with what we have. Don't bring some alligator armed wash-out or some donut eatin' underachiever just to add another receiver.

olson_10
09-01-2006, 04:00 PM
charles rogers is out of the question..he didnt previously play for the eagles, and he has the potential to be really good which pretty much takes him off of brad childress's radar

whackthepack
09-01-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't want Pinkston or Rogers on the Viking's and I want to see how are receivers do this season and if we need to make changes we need to do it next off season when there is actually talent available.

Ltrey33
09-01-2006, 04:06 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

charles rogers is out of the question..he didnt previously play for the eagles, and he has the potential to be really good which pretty much takes him off of brad childress's radar

Hasn't Rodgers had a lot of character issues?

spikecyrus
09-01-2006, 04:07 PM
the vikes should just stick with who they got at WRs, we'll do no better with todd p.

UndisputedVike
09-01-2006, 04:09 PM
If we went on to win the Superbowl this season you guys would forget all about Pinkston, it's just depth don't get uptight about it. I doubt he'll even play alot, this is a good move to get an average WR who knows the system and who can come in on short notice and make some plays.

It's smart on Childress' part, I like the signing to be honest, if you don't then...don't know what to tell you. Complaining about it won't help.

sodaknick
09-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Hey, Elwood, let's put the band back together again...

Slade
09-01-2006, 04:36 PM
"Json" wrote:

Please don't start bashing me for saying this because I know some of you like to get real sentimental about things on here, but Childress keeps bringing in left overs and unwanted players from the Eagles and I don't like it.
Pinkston is a joke.
I can't stand watching this crap.
I got mad love for the Vikings but I just think getting Pinkston is a bad move on childress's part.

- Agree with that completely. Plus the guy has Achilles issues. He's a decent #3 or #4, but that's it. We should have grabbed Branch

fasn8u
09-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Well if KFAN says Pinkston is in town and Childress says they are looking into signing him then I think it's fair to assume this is a done deal.
As long as we are not giving anything up for him I think this is a decent move.
He will add some depth to the receiver core and IMO would be good to send down field with his speed, if nothing else they will have to cover him with someone and this will open up the underneath stuff for T Will and M Rob and the TE's.
Only time will tell though.....

oakmage
09-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Childress is starting to scare me if we do sign Pinkston all most enough to wish for the good ole days of
:o Tice :o almost that is ::) it moves like this that will make Tice seem almost smart.

FuadFan
09-01-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't like Pinkston or want to sign him but to those who are talking up Charles Rodgers I'd take Pinkston before I'd ever want that useless piece of crap.

kramer9guy
09-01-2006, 05:23 PM
While I don't really want Pinkston in purple, as far as I'm concerned, if we do sign him, I trust Childress knows what he is doing since he knows the guy first hand, and as always, I will support every player on the squad including Pinkston once the season begins.

But, from what I know, the Eagles gave him every chance to come back and make the team this preseason (depending on the progress of his achilles injury). Now he's in Minnesota getting a physical. My guess is that his achilles isn't 100%. We'll see...

kramer9guy
09-01-2006, 05:27 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

I don't like Pinkston or want to sign him but to those who are talking up Charles Rodgers I'd take Pinkston before I'd ever want that useless piece of crap.

I agree 100%.

I don't want to, but if I had to pick...Pinkston > Rogers.

oakmage
09-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I probably should give Childress the benefit of the doubt but I just can not watching any game with Pinkston in it an I did not see anything in his play that made me want him to play on the team, saying that if we do sign him I would be more then happy to eat crow if Pinkston played great and earned a Probowl berth with his play, I do not think that will happen but hey if it did serve it up boys

Prophet
09-01-2006, 07:14 PM
POSTED 7:00 p.m. EDT, September 1, 2006
PINKSTON TO SIGN WITH VIKINGS
pft.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

A league source tells us that the Minnesota Vikings will soon be agreeing to terms with receiver Todd Pinkston.

We're told that Pinkston will sign a one-year deal for the veteran minimum, possibly later tonight.
Though other details are sketchy, it's our understanding that the team will protected in the event that Pinkston isn't healthy.

The team will owe Pinkston nothing if they decide before the first regular season game that, for whatever reason, it's not going to work out.

Though there are lingering concerns in league circles regarding Pinkston's Achilles tendons, his familiarity with the complex West Coast offense makes him an attractive option to stretch the field across from Troy Williamson, who figures to draw double coverage.

Likewise, a healthy Pinkston's ability to run deep routes could help open things up underneath for other receivers.

The key, as we see it, is whether Pinkston can still run.
If he can, then he'll end up on the roster.
If he can't, then the Vikings will look elsewhere.

The move will reunite Pinkston with Brad Childress.
The current Vikings head coach was the offensive coordinator in Philadelphia, where Pinkston filled the field-stretching role for several seasons.

Purple Floyd
09-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Next thing you know he will change our uniform color to green. Dammit I don't see how filling our roster with players who can't make the cut in philly is going to help us build a team that can beat them. Maybe I am missing something.

Del Rio
09-01-2006, 07:16 PM
This is the first move I would feel comfortable calling childress out on. I can't do it now though
:P

Not until we see what he puts on the field.

I think this was a move of familarity other then smarts.

Wait and see I suppose.

Prophet
09-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Me too, the first move that makes me cringe.
Pussyton, run out and buy your jerseys now.
As long as it's a minimalist contract with all the conditions that Florio menioned it will have to be ok.
I think I'm going to drive up to Minnesota and put a few hits on Pussyton just to toughen him up a little bit.

Prophet
09-01-2006, 07:28 PM
"vegasvike" wrote:

.... I have a friend who is a die hard Eagles fan and HE says that Pussyton should not even be in the league. I PRAY we dont sign her

Bad news.
She will sign and wear purple.

arrested_developer
09-01-2006, 07:36 PM
This definitely makes me takes away respect and trust points from Childress if this goes through. It took Denny Green 4 years to ask for a Minnesota player.

Garland Greene
09-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Todd Stinkston? OMG
I would rather have Hoag on this team than him

Zeus
09-01-2006, 08:19 PM
"THEBIGDADDY" wrote:

Todd Stinkston? OMG
I would rather have Hoag on this team than him

Are you Big Daddy Drew?

And Hoag would be a stud, if they'd let him.

I'm also still shaking my head about them cutting Hosack.
WTF???

=Z=

Prophet
09-01-2006, 08:40 PM
It appears that Sean reads pft too, at least he could flat out say that he heard that someone else heard that Pussyton will sign.

===========================================================

Vikings | Team agrees with Pinkston
Fri, 1 Sep 2006 17:15:02 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms on a one-year deal with free agent WR Todd Pinkston (Eagles), according to a person close to the situation. Financial terms of his deal were not immediately available.

PurpleCrusader
09-01-2006, 08:42 PM
i think i'm gonna save myself the trouble and just become an eagles fan haha.

jeez, hopefully this is hte only move childress makes that i hate

cajunvike
09-01-2006, 08:58 PM
At least we ONLY signed PinkTacoSton to a one-year deal...and won't be stuck with him once TWill and the rest of the guys show that they can handle their biz!!!

Prophet
09-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Ok, now that he will be wearing the purple and gold I will try to block the 'alligator body' video from my mind and think of this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bKAtA-B4s0&mode=related&search=).

Freakout
09-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Eh, he'll be the 4th reciever at best.
I just hope this means bye bye Billy but I pray we still keep Carter.

kramer9guy
09-01-2006, 09:16 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Ok, now that he will be wearing the purple and gold I will try to block the 'alligator body' video from my mind and think of this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bKAtA-B4s0&mode=related&search=).

Ummm...yeah...I like that clip a little better than the other one I've seen floating around lately. Oh well, now that he's officialy signed...

Welcome Todd!!! I wish you the best.

Zeus
09-01-2006, 09:17 PM
"Freakout" wrote:

Eh, he'll be the 4th reciever at best.
I just hope this means bye bye Billy but I pray we still keep Carter.

We'll keep Carter - he's gonna be our kick-off return guy.

=Z=

ejmat
09-01-2006, 09:22 PM
"arrested_developer" wrote:

This definitely makes me takes away respect and trust points from Childress if this goes through. It took Denny Green 4 years to ask for a Minnesota player.

Robert Griffith, Larry Ned, Troy Walters, Robert Tate, Jack Brewer.
Probably more than that too.

mnjamie
09-01-2006, 09:51 PM
The first time he comes across the middle with those "alligator" arms .... people will be calling for his head and Childress will have to answer for it.
So, I'm taking a wait and see attitude on it for now.

vikinginvirginia
09-01-2006, 10:01 PM
What's next? Freddie Mitchell, he is probably still out there somewhere and has experience with Childress.

V-Unit
09-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Horrible signing without a doubt. Childress has brought in all these former Eagels, and none of them is any good. (If you say Hicks is good I think that's yet to be determined.)

He is just wasting roster spots. I would rather have Ryan Hoag on the team thatn this loser. If we saw a need at receiver we should have adressed it in a way that would solve that need (Deion Branch). Pinkston is like King Midas, except that everything he touches turns into shit.

singersp
09-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Pinkston agrees to deal with receiver-needy Vikings (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=sports&id=4521729)

09/01/2006 18:37 PM

- Five-year veteran wide receiver Todd Pinkston, released on Wednesday by the Philadelphia Eagles, on Friday evening reached agreement in principle with the Minnesota Vikings on a one-year contract. The deal was to be signed later Friday night.

Five-year veteran wide receiver Todd Pinkston, released Wednesday by the Philadelphia Eagles, on Friday evening reached an agreement in principle with the Minnesota Vikings on a one-year contract. The deal was to be signed later Friday night.

Pinkston will be reunited in Minnesota with first-year Vikings head coach Brad Childress, who was Pinkston's offensive coordinator with the Eagles. It was widely speculated as soon as Pinkston was released that the receiver-needy Vikings would have an interest in him. Several teams inquired about Pinkston, but he met Thursday with team officials in the Twin Cities and passed the Vikings' physical examination.

Minnesota recently released Koren Robinson, who was expected to be the Vikings' lead receiver in 2006, after he was arrested on drunken driving charges. The Vikings also lost Nate Burleson in free agency this spring, and the wide receiver position has been an area of concern.

Because of the past relationship with Childress, and his familiarity with the offense he has installed this spring and summer, Pinkston should be able to quickly step in and contribute.

Pinkston, who missed the 2005 season with a ruptured right Achilles tendon, became expendable in Philadelphia after the Eagles traded for former New Orleans Saints wide receiver Donte' Stallworth this week. The Eagles on Tuesday granted Pinkston permission to seek a trade, then released him a day later. It had become obvious that most teams interested in Pinkston were willing to wait for him to be released than in acquiring him through a trade.

The Vikings' medical staff apparently had no problems with the tendinitis in both Achilles that forced Pinkston to miss considerable practice time in training camp. Because of the soreness, Eagles coaches were especially cautious with Pinkston in camp. He appeared in just one preseason game and had one reception for 4 yards.

Pinkston, 29, was attractive to teams in large part because of his outstanding deep speed and an impressive career average of 15.3 yards per catch.

A former Southern Mississippi standout, the reed-thin Pinkston has played in 78 games, including 68 as a starter, and has 184 receptions for 2,816 yards and 14 touchdowns. His best season was in 2002, when he had 60 catches for 798 yards and seven touchdowns.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. To check out Len's chat archive, click here .

sleepagent
09-01-2006, 10:52 PM
RANT ON!
WTF . . . Are we becoming the Philadelphia Vikings????

IF so how about signing or trading for the GOOD players there Childress.

By some of the moves he's made, I'm starting to wonder if he didn't have a bigger hand in our draft as well!

RANT OFF!

WHEW!
I feel better now.

Json
09-01-2006, 10:59 PM
It's a sad day for the Vikings when they sign Todd Pinkston to the line.
Childress is really starting to annoy me and I can't agree more with the people that are complaining about the team turning into the minnesota eagles.
Biggest problem is that Minnesota is getting the crap players.
ANdy Reid dumped this pathetic puke for a reason.

Del Rio
09-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Not one person saying:

"OMG DUDEZ PINKSTON IS THE MAN!" "HE WILL SAVE US"

Come on guys someone anyone......Buuuuuuuuler.......

UndisputedVike
09-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Well gee if you guys aren't happy with Childress we could always call up ole' Wilf and have him court Meathead Tice back if you want.
::)

cajunvike
09-01-2006, 11:17 PM

Del Rio
09-01-2006, 11:19 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

You copy and pasted you damn tease.

olson_10
09-01-2006, 11:40 PM
the guy just came off of a serious achilles injury..how does this signing help us?..ken irvin blew his achilles out 2 years ago, and i havent heard his name since

sodaknick
09-02-2006, 12:19 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Thanks, man. You momentarily pulled me off the edge. I say if Pinkston pulls any of the alligator crap on us, Ragnar makes him into a handbag.

sodaknick
09-02-2006, 12:29 AM
Okay, I'm trying to be positive about this whole thing and maybe this has already been posted here somewhere, but it bears repeating. It's pretty stinkin' funny (let's hope it's not completely accurate).

http://www.johnkalnin.com/passtopinky/

Prophet
09-02-2006, 12:38 AM
"sodaknick" wrote:

Okay, I'm trying to be positive about this whole thing and maybe this has already been posted here somewhere, but it bears repeating. It's pretty stinkin' funny (let's hope it's not completely accurate).

http://www.johnkalnin.com/passtopinky/

That is funny.
Nice find.

The Dropper
09-02-2006, 12:52 AM
"fasn8u" wrote:

Well if KFAN says Pinkston is in town and Childress says they are looking into signing him then I think it's fair to assume this is a done deal.
As long as we are not giving anything up for him I think this is a decent move.
He will add some depth to the receiver core and IMO would be good to send down field with his speed, if nothing else they will have to cover him with someone and this will open up the underneath stuff for T Will and M Rob and the TE's.
Only time will tell though.....

This is a pretty good point. Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic (actually, I'm sure of it), but he will at least draw a corner or safety and provide a deep "threat" of sorts. And if defenses choose not to cover him, well, it seems he can still catch balls as long as no one is within 20 yards. Oh yeah, and OMG HE WILL BE OUR SAVIOR AND LEAD US TO THE SUPERBOWL FIVE YEARS STRAIGHT!!!

oakmage
09-02-2006, 01:09 AM
If we are signing receivers who can’t catch lets sign some of Arizona Cardinal Offense linemen who can’t block that will make our offense even better::)
I am sorry I know I said that I want to give Childress the benefit of the doubt but I am sorry signing Pinkston is to me harebrained at best and pathetic at best

singersp
09-02-2006, 01:20 AM
"oakmage" wrote:

If we are signing receivers who can’t catch lets sign some of Arizona Cardinal Offense linemen who can’t block.....

I think Green Bay has already signed them.

CCthebest
09-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Well Childress has 2 things. A God complex and a very unhealthy (especially for us) love affair for ALL things Eagles.

Prophet
09-02-2006, 01:37 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Well Childress has 2 things. A God complex and a very unhealthy (especially for us) love affair for ALL things Eagles.

Why don't you start a new thread and justify your 'God complex' theory.
You hate on Childress all the time without backing it up, other than saying you hate the Eagles and he came from the Eagles.
Enlighten us.

cajunvike
09-02-2006, 01:40 AM
"Del" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

You copy and pasted you gol 'darnit tease.

Heh heh heh!

cajunvike
09-02-2006, 01:54 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"oakmage" wrote:

If we are signing receivers who can’t catch lets sign some of Arizona Cardinal Offense linemen who can’t block.....

I think Green Bay has already signed them.

LOL!!!

The Vikings D will be feasting on Favre this season for sure!!!

CuseJF06
09-02-2006, 02:22 AM
Whats up guys, long time visitor of the site and finally decided to post. I was reading everyone bashing Pinkston and I had to write something.

First, this is a no lose situation for the Vikings. They gave Pinkston a one year deal worth the vet minimum. He appears to be healthy since he passed his physical and can only help the team. He can stetch the defense and is another guy who can catch the deep ball to go along with Williamson.
Second, everyone talks about Pinkston having alligator arms and
not willing to go over the middle to catch a pass. I'll admit his excuse of "losing the ball in the lights" a couple years ago was pretty lame. But, Pinkston's job on the Eagles wasn't to go across the middle and catch that tough pass on 3rd and 6. I want to share a few quotes by Eagle's safety Brian Dawkins the day after Pinkston was cut.

“Every player that's played the game has had certain strengths and certain parts of their game that aren't as strong,” Dawkins said yesterday. “There are not a lot of people out there whose game is complete, who do everything great.

“Todd is a guy who served an important role for us for a lot of years. He went deep, he stretched the defense, he caught the long ball. He was never asked to go out there and be a physically punishing receiver, to dive for a ball over the middle and get blown up by a 240-pound linebacker.

“He was asked to stretch the field, and he did it very well and made a lot of big plays for us. And when he wasn't making big plays, Todd did a lot of things people didn't notice, whether it was blocking for the other receivers or taking up a cornerback who might have been playing closer to the line of scrimmage and now he can't make a tackle on a running back who pops a long run — because of Todd.

“All those people who wanted Todd to lay out, that was not his game and he wasn't
ask to do that, and I wouldn't ask him to do that. He was asked to use his size and speed and go up and catch the football. He did that, and he did it very, very well.”

I think this really says something when the best free safety in football praises a guy who just got cut from the team. I think Pinkston will help the other receivers on the team (especially Williamson). He knows the West Coast offense very well and he will not have to be the number 1, or even number 2 WR here. I just don't understand why everyone is bashing the signing. That's all, just wanted to share my thoughts.

Bubba Jed
09-02-2006, 02:35 AM
I don't think this signing is too bad either.
After Koren Robinson pulled his "stunt" it really upset me to think that we gave this guy a shot for a year and won our hearts so we signed him to a long time contract.
There's really no other WR out there worth signing right now.
So let's give this guy a shot at least, maybe he can help us out or
maybe not.
Who knows what happens?
Maybe we can trade him for Deion Branch or pick up some other WR who gets cut.

UndisputedVike
09-02-2006, 02:42 AM
"CuseJF06" wrote:

Whats up guys, long time visitor of the site and finally decided to post. I was reading everyone bashing Pinkston and I had to write something.

First, this is a no lose situation for the Vikings. They gave Pinkston a one year deal worth the vet minimum. He appears to be healthy since he passed his physical and can only help the team. He can stetch the defense and is another guy who can catch the deep ball to go along with Williamson.
not willing to go over the middle to catch a pass. I'll admit his excuse of "losing the ball in the lights" a couple years ago was pretty lame. But, Pinkston's job on the Eagles wasn't to go across the middle and catch that tough pass on 3rd and 6. I want to share a few quotes by Eagle's safety Brian Dawkins the day after Pinkston was cut.

“Every player that's played the game has had certain strengths and certain parts of their game that aren't as strong,” Dawkins said yesterday. “There are not a lot of people out there whose game is complete, who do everything great.

“Todd is a guy who served an important role for us for a lot of years. He went deep, he stretched the defense, he caught the long ball. He was never asked to go out there and be a physically punishing receiver, to dive for a ball over the middle and get blown up by a 240-pound linebacker.

“He was asked to stretch the field, and he did it very well and made a lot of big plays for us. And when he wasn't making big plays, Todd did a lot of things people didn't notice, whether it was blocking for the other receivers or taking up a cornerback who might have been playing closer to the line of scrimmage and now he can't make a tackle on a running back who pops a long run — because of Todd.

“All those people who wanted Todd to lay out, that was not his game and he wasn't
ask to do that, and I wouldn't ask him to do that. He was asked to use his size and speed and go up and catch the football. He did that, and he did it very, very well.”

I think this really says something when the best free safety in football praises a guy who just got cut from the team. I think Pinkston will help the other receivers on the team (especially Williamson). He knows the West Coast offense very well and he will not have to be the number 1, or even number 2 WR here. I just don't understand why everyone is bashing the signing. That's all, just wanted to share my thoughts.

Nicely done, I agree and I'm one of many few here who actually like the signing, it really can't hurt.

Wiggles67
09-02-2006, 02:53 AM
I like this signing a lot better than the trade for Brooks Bollinger

XxS2TheEvoxX
09-02-2006, 03:50 AM
Great post Cuse.

There's no risk of signing Pinkston whatsoever. Even though he isn't my favorite player it should help our team out more then it hurts us. Pinkston is one of the better deep-threats in the league.

Torontovik15
09-02-2006, 08:33 AM
Dont know if it was posted before, but I like this clip so much....Looking forward to having Todd on board... :P

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ls794MhIkU4&mode=related&search

spikecyrus
09-02-2006, 09:38 AM
was that the time he said he lost the ball in the lights?

ViKing24
09-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Well I hope we got either of the receivers Stinkston-Charles Rogers-Peter Warrick might be cut along with mike williams. one thing I don't get is why would the lions cut a WR who only spent 1 year in the NFL?

seaniemck7
09-02-2006, 09:55 AM
"CuseJF06" wrote:

Seriously, c'mon now.
Pinkston is terrible; just terrible. The aforementioned quote
by Dawkins holds zero water to me in crediting Stinkston with any sort of value as a football player. Ever heard of the notion that you don't talk bad about the dead?
That is what Dawkings is doing: Eulogizing his teamate that was cut.
Of course he is gonna Joey Sunshine him to deaht.
What else would you expect him to say?

And even if every bit of Dawkins' statement is true, I wouldn't want that kind of guy on my football team.
I mean he sounds like he is defending a kicker FFS.

Uggh... i think i am gonna bang my head against a wall until i feel better.

Mr. Purple
09-02-2006, 10:28 AM
OH MAN STUPID VIKINGS!!! WAY TO INCREASE DETPH WITH SOMEONE WHO PRETTY MUCH KNOWS THE OFFENSE! Then the Vikings go out and sign him to some stupid smart contract!What are they thinking?We dont want proven depth for a cheep price!!! uggggggh!!!!!!!

(Sarcasim off)

Now people thier is no need to "bang your head against a wall" or "jump of a building".Whats the big deal?Afraid some jackass Philly fan is gonna make fun of you and your team for having Pinkston?Big deal, the guy was signed for cheep, and he will indeed stretch the field.He may not be friggin KeyShaun Johnson in the middle of the field, but he is a downfield threat.I rather get 2 average WR's, then to throw the Bank at Branch.I think with Pinkston and maybe one other addition in FA, we got a pretty set WR core.

DoubleDown11
09-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I say we get Pinkston Drunk, get him in a stairwell w/ a ho, and make him drive home.
Not a big fan of Pinkston, its not like he can play special teams and lay somebody out.
What is with the Vikings Dez White and Derrick Alexander WR recycling facility?

sodaknick
09-02-2006, 11:09 AM
"DoubleDown11" wrote:

I say we get Pinkston Drunk, get him in a stairwell w/ a ho, and make him drive home.
Not a big fan of Pinkston, its not like he can play special teams and lay somebody out.
What is with the Vikings Dez White and Derrick Alexander WR recycling facility?

Come on, no one would ever do something that stupid...

happy camper
09-02-2006, 11:18 AM
"ViKing24" wrote:

Well I hope we got either of the receivers Stinkston-Charles Rogers-Peter Warrick might be cut along with mike williams. one thing I don't get is why would the lions cut a WR who only spent 1 year in the NFL?

because he's that big of a jackass.

Purple Floyd
09-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I am starting to think Childress is still on retainer by the Eagles and his job is to find a home for all of their castaways.

The Vikings are fast becoming a "Land of the misfits" for the NFL. I just hope Rudolph and his shiny nose show up and lead us to the super bowl.

Vikes_King
09-02-2006, 01:28 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I am starting to think Childress is still on retainer by the Eagles and his job is to find a home for all of their castaways.

The Vikings are fast becoming a "Land of the misfits" for the NFL. I just hope Rudolph and his shiny nose show up and lead us to the super bowl.

first off, i'd like to say: rofl

other than that, on the topic of pinkston, honestly i was really hoping that we wouldnt sign him, i didnt think we needed him, but thats because i figured they'd sign him to some really stupid deal

after knowing the contract terms, i have absolutely no complaints, its a no lose situation

V4L
09-02-2006, 02:46 PM
WTF is ur guys problem? Who cares if we signed him.. It's not gonna hurt us money wise.. If we sucks which I think he will do ok we just cut his ass.. Chill the fuck out seriously.. I hate it how people criticize so much here and complain and then when the person does good they all jump on the friggin bandwagon..

Everyone thought Travis Taylor was a horrible signing cuz he sucked in Baltimore.. I said he isn't a number 1 and shouldn't be and would do good in a smaller role.. He did pretty damn good.. Now why can't Pinkston do the same?

So seriously just quit complaining and let the dude play a down or 2 in a Vikes uniform and if he sucks then come and say I told u so if it makes u feel better.. I'm sick of all the bashing.. Give the dude a shot for christ sakes..

One Love

CuseJF06
09-02-2006, 03:00 PM
"seaniemck7" wrote:

"CuseJF06" wrote:

Seriously, c'mon now.
Pinkston is terrible; just terrible. The aforementioned quote
by Dawkins holds zero water to me in crediting Stinkston with any sort of value as a football player. Ever heard of the notion that you don't talk bad about the dead?
That is what Dawkings is doing: Eulogizing his teamate that was cut.
Of course he is gonna Joey Sunshine him to deaht.
What else would you expect him to say?

And even if every bit of Dawkins' statement is true, I wouldn't want that kind of guy on my football team.
I mean he sounds like he is defending a kicker FFS.

Uggh... i think i am gonna bang my head against a wall until i feel better.

First off, Pinkston is not terrible. He was the the starter for a team who went to the NFC Championship 4 years in a row. He is not a starter in this league anymore, hence him being cut, but I'm not sure that qualifies him as terrible.
Dawkins' comments about Pinkston should hold water. Dawkins didn't have to say anything about Pinkston. Dawkins is an honest guy who says what he feels. He was the guy who broke down crying on national tv 2 weeks ago when talking about his team and how much he wants to win for the city. I didn't hear him praising TO, Trotter the first time he left, or Corey Simon who he played with on de for 5 years.
I would like you to tell us anything detrimental that could come out of this signing. One year deal, Vet minimum. He passed a physical. He's a tall receiver who is a deep threat.
This is the best receiver on the open market and we got him. I doubt we are going to give Branch the money he wants, nor should we. He is not worth $39 million with 13 up front. That's absurd.

V4L
09-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Thank you Cuse!! Some friggin logic..

It's a no lose situation here.. If he happens to turn his career around here and does well we got him for cheap.. If he sucks like everyone here thinks he will then well we just cut him no biggy!!

How is that a bad signing? Just because people think Ryan Hoag is a friggin stud and should be on the team? I doubt he would do as good as he does in preseason against 1st team D's anyway..

Pinkston will be decent for us this year.. I could see it work out this way..

T-willy>> T-tay>> T-Pink

Throw in M-rob for the redzone and his curl routes he is good at and we have a decent WR core.. Adding depth is never a bad thing guys..

So calm the frick down and let the man play a bit.. Maybe all he needed is a fresh start and to get out of the 1-2 WR role.. He could be a very good slot WR I don't see why he can't..

It would have been like the K-rob deal before he signed his bigger contract.. If he sucked well then he would have got cut.. But he did well and got a better contract and we got a good deal outta it.. Besides the drinking part.. But Pinkston if he does well is a good guy and would stay outta trouble

One Love

CuseJF06
09-02-2006, 03:08 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Thank you Cuse!! Some friggin logic..

It's a no lose situation here.. If he happens to turn his career around here and does well we got him for cheap.. If he sucks like everyone here thinks he will then well we just cut him no biggy!!

How is that a bad signing? Just because people think Ryan Hoag is a friggin stud and should be on the team? I doubt he would do as good as he does in preseason against 1st team D's anyway..

Pinkston will be decent for us this year.. I could see it work out this way..

T-willy>> T-tay>> T-Pink

Throw in M-rob for the redzone and his curl routes he is good at and we have a decent WR core.. Adding depth is never a bad thing guys..

So calm the frick down and let the man play a bit.. Maybe all he needed is a fresh start and to get out of the 1-2 WR role.. He could be a very good slot WR I don't see why he can't..

It would have been like the K-rob deal before he signed his bigger contract.. If he sucked well then he would have got cut.. But he did well and got a better contract and we got a good deal outta it.. Besides the drinking part.. But Pinkston if he does well is a good guy and would stay outta trouble

One Love

Exactly. No lose situation. Depth can only help. Go Vikes!

DoubleDown11
09-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Charles Rogers was just cut why don't the Vikings go sign him?
Might as well keep up the obsession with signing "cut" receivers........

oddmanout22287
09-02-2006, 03:17 PM
"DoubleDown11" wrote:

Charles Rogers was just cut why don't the Vikings go sign him?
Might as well keep up the obsession with signing "cut" receivers........

Because he didn't play for the Iggles, duh!

DoubleDown11
09-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Good point oddman, so does that mean we signed Dez White because he was a Falcon?

Vikings just sign ex-birds: Seahawks, Falcons, Ravens, Cardinals, and Eagles.
I can't wait to see today's cuts!

CCthebest
09-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Branch is worth every frigging penny hes asking. I doubt he gets it, but im sure some team will make a deal for him, and hes worth whatever they pay. Childress isnt smart enough to get a Branch type player, unless they played for the eagles at some time. Whoever gets Branch will be very happy.

V-Unit
09-02-2006, 03:52 PM
I don't see how people could like this guy over someone like Jason Carter. It doesn't make sense because There are players already here that can play the role Pinkston will have. He adds nothing new, other than depth. Otherwise, when we sport 4-wide sets, I would much rather see Carter on the field. Pinkston had his chance, did well, but then blew it. Carter can do anything that Pinkston will be able to do, and I think the "he knows the offense," logic is bull.

cajunvike
09-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Have they officially announced the PinkTacoSton signing yet?

whackthepack
09-02-2006, 03:54 PM
The Pat's want 2 1st round draft picks and then pay 36 million over 6 years, he is not worth that!

There are better receivers that you can get for less during the next off season!

CuseJF06
09-02-2006, 03:57 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Branch is worth every frigging penny hes asking. I doubt he gets it, but im sure some team will make a deal for him, and hes worth whatever they pay. Childress isnt smart enough to get a Branch type player, unless they played for the eagles at some time. Whoever gets Branch will be very happy.

I don't think a guy who has yet to record a 1,000 yard season in 4 years deserves Reggie Wayne money.

V4L
09-02-2006, 04:08 PM
OMG WOW..

What is peoples deal with Chilldress getting Eagles players? I doubt he is the one that actually does the deals anyway.. But who cares? We have 1 starter that we got from the Eagles.. So that was good.. And we cut McMahon so that leaves us with a starter and 2 WR's.. Not really that many and the jokes aren't even funny people..

I just saw V-Unit say Pinkston already blew his chance.. Wtf are u talking about bro? He hasn't even put on a Vikes uniform.. He gets a fresh start.. And if Carter out plays him then he will get the spot so who cares? What if we lose T-willy or T-Tay for the year? Then I bet most of u would be stoked to have Pinkston.. Depth is never a bad thing

So really why is this a bad signing? It's cheap and its a low risk high reward situation.. Pinkston does have the tools.. Maybe he will benifit from this offense and have a better time in a smaller role

One Love

ChezPizmo
09-02-2006, 04:10 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

If we went on to win the Superbowl this season you guys would forget all about Pinkston, it's just depth don't get uptight about it. I doubt he'll even play alot, this is a good move to get an average WR who knows the system and who can come in on short notice and make some plays.

It's smart on Childress' part, I like the signing to be honest, if you don't then...don't know what to tell you. Complaining about it won't help.

I agree. What can it hurt? I mean, if he doesn't make plays and shows that he's just as "wussy" as you guys are saying he is, he won't get too many plays. Only reason he was out there with the Eagles was because they didn't have too many big named receivers.

"cajunvike" wrote:

Have they officially announced the PinkTacoSton signing yet?

Yes.

petrodemos
09-02-2006, 04:22 PM
hmmmm
who would you pick up?
todd pinkston? or charles rogers?

id rather have a young talent than a washed up talent thats scared to take a hit. and think of the upside 2 games a year against the lions? (not like we need it yet, but the lions are getting better)

i wonder why they didnt wait after saturday when most players were to be cut.

DoubleDown11
09-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Pinkston over C. Rogers, Darius Watts, and/ or Frisman Jackson? What the hell?

Come on the whole Bird thing is kinda funny!

vike_mike
09-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I am not agreeing on our view of WR talent with Childress.
Not a good idea to pick up Pinkston.
Injury prone as all get out.
If we are going to get a injury prone player, why not get Rogers.
He is better than Pinkston.
We need to seriously evaluate our talent pool of WR.

happy camper
09-02-2006, 05:54 PM
"vike_mike" wrote:

I am not agreeing on our view of WR talent with Childress.
Not a good idea to pick up Pinkston.
Injury prone as all get out.
If we are going to get a injury prone player, why not get Rogers.
He is better than Pinkston.
We need to seriously evaluate our talent pool of WR.

Who knows Pinkston better? You or Childress?

I'm having a hard time figuring out this riddle.
???

sodaknick
09-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Check out PFT's Picture of the Day to get their take on the Pinkston signing ;D

http://profootballtalk.com/

VikesfaninWis
09-02-2006, 06:47 PM
"V4L" wrote:

OMG WOW..

What is peoples deal with Chilldress getting Eagles players? I doubt he is the one that actually does the deals anyway.. But who cares? We have 1 starter that we got from the Eagles.. So that was good.. And we cut McMahon so that leaves us with a starter and 2 WR's.. Not really that many and the jokes aren't even funny people..

I just saw V-Unit say Pinkston already blew his chance.. Wtf are u talking about bro? He hasn't even put on a Vikes uniform.. He gets a fresh start.. And if Carter out plays him then he will get the spot so who cares? What if we lose T-willy or T-Tay for the year? Then I bet most of u would be stoked to have Pinkston.. Depth is never a bad thing

So really why is this a bad signing? It's cheap and its a low risk high reward situation.. Pinkston does have the tools.. Maybe he will benifit from this offense and have a better time in a smaller role

One Love

I agree 100% with you V4L.. Good post my friend..

cc21
09-02-2006, 07:10 PM
"V4L" wrote:

OMG WOW..

One Love
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn right. Why is signing him such a bad thing? He is a decent wide receiver and like V4L said, if he isn't good enough, then cut him. No big deal. Let's just give him a chance and see what he can do.

magicci
09-02-2006, 07:28 PM
hahha
http://profootballtalk.com/ScarecrowStinkston.jpg

Vikings coach Brad Childress introduces his new receiver.

DoubleDown11
09-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Now that Picture is funny, but maybe they should switch heads, because I cannot tell which one actually needs a "brain".

Speaking of Wizard of Oz references, shouldn/t he be posing with the "lion", since he was the coward?

In Childresses' defense, I know he would have gone for 2 vs Dallas.

GonnaBeatYouOn911
09-02-2006, 08:07 PM
all pinkston ever did in philly was drop the ball, be scared of the defender, and get hurt. however i hope he does well for you guys
i always liked him.

purpleFavreEaters
09-02-2006, 08:48 PM
I really hope he does well...

Prophet
09-02-2006, 11:13 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Pinkston to serve as team’s deep threat
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:17:55 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Todd Pinkston's primary role will be as a deep threat. "We think he can fill the need of a receiver that can stretch the field," said team vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman. "That gives you an opportunity for big plays. I don't want to get into the positives or negatives about his past. I just felt, and Coach Childress felt strongly, that he is a football player who knows the system and can improve our ball club."

Purple Floyd
09-02-2006, 11:21 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

KFFL
Vikings | Pinkston to serve as team’s deep threat
Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:17:55 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Todd Pinkston's primary role will be as a deep threat. "We think he can fill the need of a receiver that can stretch the field," said team vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman. "That gives you an opportunity for big plays. I don't want to get into the positives or negatives about his past. I just felt, and Coach Childress felt strongly, that he is a football player who knows the system and can improve our ball club."

With his speed and improved play this year I was under the impression that Williamson was going to fill the role of stretching the defense.

Lotza
09-03-2006, 12:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBeJHgmQexY&NR

this shows a better side of him.

cajunvike
09-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Let's hope that PinkTacoSton does good here...we DO need SOMEONE to stretch the defense...TWill can do that as well...but it can't hurt to have more speed to throw at defenses.

MensaTice
09-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Glad we signed alligator arms

http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume4/2004-1229-pinkston.html

MensaTice
Here's one more

http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume4/2005-0202-pinkston.html

CCthebest
Man, we cut Hoag but have Stinkerston
???

V-Unit
09-03-2006, 12:21 AM
I blame it all on K-Rob.

RandyMoss8404
09-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Ok.

We dealt Randy Moss, and I lived. We signed Fred Smoot, and I lived. We lost to the Baltimore Ravens, and I perservered.

This is too much. I'm turning in my Viking badge, it's over. I can take 15-1 and losing on a wide right kick, and all listed above, but TODD PINKSTON? That's the last straw.

Not really, but it's almost that serious.

Lotza
09-03-2006, 10:04 AM
last year, everyone was like this for k rob.
and i think he came out fine.

Json
09-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Someone posted that they are tired of fans coming on here and complaining about things the team does.
I think it was VK4life or something like that.
Anyway, my response to you is that this website is designed for Viking fans to come to and share, debate, hate, like, or whatever else when it comes to the Vikings.
If everyone agreed with you why the hell would anyone come to this site?
To continue to read the same exact response everytime?
You also said that the same people that are complaining about the Pinkston signing will be jumping on the band wagon once he does some good things....well no kidding hey?
If your a fan of the VIkings and they sign a new player that has a reputation in the league for being a panzy, well some of us could be a bit skeptical.
Now if that same player starts proving that he isn't a panzy and he starts pulling in some nice catches and doing some positive things for the team your damn skippy I'll be like good for him.
This is not a bandwagon move since I've been a Vikings fan my entire life and live, breath, and think Vikings most of everyday.
This just tells you that I am skeptical about a player they signed.
There is a big diffrence.

GFreeman44
09-03-2006, 10:37 AM
I think he will be perfect for little dink and dunk passes.
He looks like a speedy little wr, and maybe he can produce yac.
I say put him in the system, if he is a total faliure then don't play him.
NFL is all about 2nd and 3rd and 4th chances. :)

Purple Floyd
09-03-2006, 11:07 AM
"Lotza" wrote:

last year, everyone was like this for k rob.
and i think he came out fine.

I agree

No player has done more to project a positive image on our team then him and nobody is currently more productive. :-X

petrodemos
09-03-2006, 11:43 AM
you now who can really stretch a field? his initials are RM. ;D

i cant watch youtube clips about receivers anymore, because everytime i do i see a link to a randy moss 5 min clip of games where hes was his awesome self. people who say were better off with todd pinkston are either midly retarded or drunk.

im going to hang myself if we get another ex-couldnt make the eagles roster why the hell should we get him guy. :P

'sigh' monday night cant come soon enough.

singersp
09-03-2006, 12:06 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

you now who can really stretch a field? his initials are RM. ;D

??? Ron Mexico???

cc21
09-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Why does everybody hate this decision to sign him so much?! If he sucks as bad as many of you are saying then he wont be around long and we wont have to worry about him. But my god people, first lets see what he can do. I bet if he is out there catching passes for us during the season all of you will all of a sudden become huge Pinkston fans.

For right now he is a Viking. Support him and hope that he does good because than he will be helping the team.

pokeyisme
09-03-2006, 12:47 PM
"cc21" wrote:

Why does everybody hate this decision to sign him so much?! If he sucks as bad as many of you are saying then he wont be around long and we wont have to worry about him. But my god people, first lets see what he can do. I bet if he is out there catching passes for us during the season all of you will all of a sudden become huge Pinkston fans.

For right now he is a Viking. Support him and hope that he does good because than he will be helping the team.

dead on!!!!! lets wait until the season begings and go from there

Formo
09-03-2006, 01:20 PM
For all you haters out there..
You are overreacting.
Big time.
Shut up until you see him play in a Vikings uniform.

I'm willing to bet that Childress knows something you don't, and if you know more, then why the hell aren't you some sort of a coach/assistant for the team?

It's been said, re-said, and then rehashed again..
I'll still repeat it, because it seems some of you can't read all that well..

Pinkston was signed for only a year, and at the veterans minimum wage.
Oh yea, and they said something along the lines that if he can't play, then the Vikings don't have to pay.

Sounds like a smart deal to me..
Alot smarter than 2 1st round picks and $13 million up front on a huge contract for Branch.

As far as Pinkston stretching the field..
I like that.
We need someone else to push Williamson for his field-stretching spot on the roster.
Maybe that's what Williamson needs.
But you guys already know this, because you are all knowing..
=/

FYI, I like Branch ALOT more than Pinkston..
Infact, up until this signing, I hated Pinkston (because the only memory I have of him is him catching TDs versus the Vikings years ago).
You all are acting as if we just signed T.O. and doing so caused the entire team to collectively suck so bad that they will be lucky to go 1-15.

I like this move because if Pinky can't play, or has a horrible year, we release him, no harm/no foul.
If Pinky does well, we continue to sign him.
Common sense.

V-Unit
09-03-2006, 05:07 PM
I can't see how people defend this move. Do you honestly believe that Pinkston was the best WR we could get?

If your answer is no, then it was obviously a bad move. We should try to get the players available, duh! I agree Branchwas not worth what the Pats were asking, but there were other receivers with better skills than Pinkston.

If your answer is yes, do you really think it would have been detrimental to wait two more days and watch waivers? I doubt Pinkston was going anywhere, we had time to consider options, and instead we rushed into a bad signing.

With Carter gone it is now obvious that Childress hates rookie receivers. He would rather waste two roster spots than have rookie WRs on his team. My hopes for drafting someone like Calvin Johnson next year are gone.

DaVizzles
09-03-2006, 05:12 PM
God this really pisses me off they cut Carter and kept McMullen and Pinkston Childress is such a f-ing loser god i hate him just sign all eagle guys you idiot

UndisputedVike
09-03-2006, 05:12 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I can't see how people defend this move. Do you honestly believe that Pinkston was the best WR we could get?

If your answer is no, then it was obviously a bad move. We should try to get the players available, duh! I agree Branchwas not worth what the Pats were asking, but there were other receivers with better skills than Pinkston.

If your answer is yes, do you really think it would have been detrimental to wait two more days and watch waivers? I doubt Pinkston was going anywhere, we had time to consider options, and instead we rushed into a bad signing.

With Carter gone it is now obvious that Childress hates rookie receivers. He would rather waste two roster spots than have rookie WRs on his team. My hopes for drafting someone like Calvin Johnson next year are gone.

It's not about who is stacked with the best of the best at depth...which is exactly what Pinkston is, depth, you can't keep really good players stuck at 3rd and 4th on the depth chart it won't sit well with them. Pinkston isn't a great WR, but he's decent and he knows the system.

Give it a rest would you.

NordicNed
09-03-2006, 05:13 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Did I miss something since yesterday?.....Carter made the team.....Did he get released today?......I haven't heard that. ???

FuadFan
09-03-2006, 05:15 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Who do you see that would be better to bring in with such short notice that would know what to do and be better then Pinkston I just want to know because there isn't really that much out there.

UndisputedVike
09-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Vikings | J. Carter waived
Sun, 3 Sep 2006 13:17:28 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings waived WR Jason Carter.

V-Unit
09-03-2006, 05:38 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

It's not about who is stacked with the best of the best at depth...which is exactly what Pinkston is, depth, you can't keep really good players stuck at 3rd and 4th on the depth chart it won't sit well with them. Pinkston isn't a great WR, but he's decent and he knows the system.

Give it a rest would you.

No I will not give it a rest. Especially when you completely miss the argument. I'm not talking about signing a starter to be a backup, I'm talking about improving the team in the best possible way. Pinkston can't do anything that Carter wouldn't be able to do, and I think Mike McMahon proved that knowing the system means absolutely nothing.

Az-Zahir Hakim
Rod Gardner
Peter Warrick
Ricky Proehl
Johnny Morton

I think all of those guys are 3rd receivers who have more talent than Pinkston. Pinkston is on Charles Rogers' level, and I would definetly prefer Jason Carter over both of them.

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Az-Zahir Hakim
Rod Gardner
Peter Warrick
Ricky Proehl
Johnny Morton

I think all of those guys are 3rd receivers who have more talent than Pinkston. Pinkston is on Charles Rogers' level, and I would definetly prefer Jason Carter over both of them.

To say Pinkston is on Charles Rogers level is ridiculous. Looking at the average yards per season of all of the guys you mentioned, Pinkston is near the top.

Johnny Morton (12 seasons) 726 yards avg.
Todd Pinkston (5 seasons) 563 yards avg.
Ricky Proehl (16 seasons) 553 yards avg.
Rod Gardner (6 seasons) 524 yards avg.
Az-Zahir Hakim (8 seasons) 505 yards avg.
Peter Warrick (6 seasons) 498 yards avg.
Charles Rogers
(3 seasons) 146 yards avg.
Jason Carter (0 seasons) unproven

Other things the coaching staff were obviously looking at when they brought in Pinkston was knowledge of and fit into the WCO, character of the player and probably the age of the player, because if the Pinkston experiment works, I'm sure he'll resign and play with us for years to come. If the experiment fails, he's gone within the year and no sweat off anyone's back.

V-Unit
09-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Funny that Kramer's analysis forgot to look at catches per season:

Johnny Morton - 52 catches
Peter Warrick - 45.8 catches
Ricky Proehl - 41.6 catches
Rod Gardner - 40 catches
Az-zahir Hakim - 37.375 catches
Todd Pinkston - 34.6 catches
Charles Rogers - 12 catches

or touchdowns per season:

Rod Gardner - 3.83 TDs
Johnny Morton - 3.6 TDs
Az-zahir Hakim - 3.5 TDs
Ricky Proehl - 3.375 TDs
Peter Warrick - 3 TDs
Todd Pinkston - 2.8 TDs
Charles Rogers - 1.3 TDs

Jason Carter has no real stats, but like Tavaris he has succeeded at every opportunity. He has 4 catches for 155 yards and 2 TDs in 4 preseason games.

I stand by my claim abouit Pinkston and Rogers. Rogers was injured very often, and has 36 catches and 4 TDs over 15 games, which equals Pinkston's production in 2003 and 2004. I do not think we should get Rogers because of injury proneness, but when he is on the field, he is as good as Pinkston.

The fact is that there was better depth out there, but Childress wanted to go with the person that he knew. I don't agree with that philosophy. We could have signed any of these guys to a one year contract and done the same experiment.

kramer9guy
09-03-2006, 09:44 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Rod Gardner - 40 catches

Rod Gardner - 3.83 TDs
Johnny Morton - 3.6 TDs
Az-zahir Hakim - 3.5 TDs
Ricky Proehl - 3.375 TDs
Peter Warrick - 3 TDs
Todd Pinkston - 2.8 TDs
Charles Rogers - 1.3 TDs

Jason Carter has no real stats, but like Tavaris he has succeeded at every opportunity. He has 4 catches for 155 yards and 2 TDs in 4 preseason games.

I stand by my claim abouit Pinkston and Rogers. Rogers was injured very often, and has 36 catches and 4 TDs over 15 games, which equals Pinkston's production in 2003 and 2004. I do not think we should get Rogers because of injury proneness, but when he is on the field, he is as good as Pinkston.

The fact is that there was better depth out there, but Childress wanted to go with the person that he knew. I don't agree with that philosophy. We could have signed any of these guys to a one year contract and done the same experiment.

Catches & TD's are great, but I mentioned yards per season because I believe it to be the most important and telling stat for a WR, especially for Pinkston since he was brought in to stretch the field and move the ball (which he has consistantly done over his career).

If you wanna talk catches per season, our own Travis Taylor has a 42.3 avg. (a relatively high average because that's the type of player he is, mainly a short yardage route runner with "hands" to catch balls down the middle).

If you wanna talk average TD's per season, our own Marcus Robinson has a 4.9 avg. (a rather high average when compared to the players you have listed, but high for a reason, that's the type of WR he is, a big and tall end-zone threat).

You know, I'm not some kind of Pinkston apologist, believe what you want to believe, but I just think the guy should be given a fair chance. I support him because he is now a Minnesota Viking. As far as I'm concerned, his slate is clean and he now has a chance to open a new chapter as a Minnesota Viking. I only wish him the best.

cajunvike
09-03-2006, 10:17 PM
It's simple...unless and until PinkTacoSton gets cut from the Vikings, he is a Viking...that being said, we need to root for him to do well.
We have plenty of WRs that will go over the middle to catch balls, so let PTS run the go routes and clear the middle of the field for our real studs.
And if by chance he's open, chuck it deep...he has shown that he has NO problem catching THOSE kinds of passes for good yardage!

V-Unit
09-04-2006, 01:12 AM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

Rod Gardner - 40 catches

Rod Gardner - 3.83 TDs
Johnny Morton - 3.6 TDs
Az-zahir Hakim - 3.5 TDs
Ricky Proehl - 3.375 TDs
Peter Warrick - 3 TDs
Todd Pinkston - 2.8 TDs
Charles Rogers - 1.3 TDs

Catches & TD's are great, but I mentioned yards per season because I believe it to be the most important and telling stat for a WR, especially for Pinkston since he was brought in to stretch the field and move the ball (which he has consistantly done over his career).

If you wanna talk catches per season, our own Travis Taylor has a 42.3 avg. (a relatively high average because that's the type of player he is, mainly a short yardage route runner with "hands" to catch balls down the middle).

If you wanna talk average TD's per season, our own Marcus Robinson has a 4.9 avg. (a rather high average when compared to the players you have listed, but high for a reason, that's the type of WR he is, a big and tall end-zone threat).

You know, I'm not some kind of Pinkston apologist, believe what you want to believe, but I just think the guy should be given a fair chance. I support him because he is now a Minnesota Viking. As far as I'm concerned, his slate is clean and he now has a chance to open a new chapter as a Minnesota Viking. I only wish him the best.

I don't see the point of drawing comparisons to Taylor and Robinson. Obviously they put up better numbers, that is why they are starters on the team, because they have more TALENT. Also, I never suggested that we get a WR to replace Taylor or Robinson, I ahve been talking about getting the best depth possible, so putting up their stats is a bit puzzling to me. No matter who we bring in I would expect Taylor and Robinson to start over them. I have tried to make a sound argument that we could have picked up someone BETTER than Pinkston, but for some reason you reply saying, "Pinkston is an ok backup." Yes I agree that Pinkston is an ok backup but that is not the point.

I will root for Pinkston, but I would have rooted much harder for Peter Warrick, Johnnie Morton, or Jason Carter, who are much more likely to succeed.

ejmat
09-04-2006, 02:51 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

"kramer9guy" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

Rod Gardner - 40 catches

Rod Gardner - 3.83 TDs
Johnny Morton - 3.6 TDs
Az-zahir Hakim - 3.5 TDs
Ricky Proehl - 3.375 TDs
Peter Warrick - 3 TDs
Todd Pinkston - 2.8 TDs
Charles Rogers - 1.3 TDs

I don't see the point of drawing comparisons to Taylor and Robinson. Obviously they put up better numbers, that is why they are starters on the team, because they have more TALENT. Also, I never suggested that we get a WR to replace Taylor or Robinson, I ahve been talking about getting the best depth possible, so putting up their stats is a bit puzzling to me. No matter who we bring in I would expect Taylor and Robinson to start over them. I have tried to make a sound argument that we could have picked up someone BETTER than Pinkston, but for some reason you reply saying, "Pinkston is an ok backup." Yes I agree that Pinkston is an ok backup but that is not the point.

I will root for Pinkston, but I would have rooted much harder for Peter Warrick, Johnnie Morton, or Jason Carter, who are much more likely to succeed.

I will root for whoever is on the Vikings no matter what their name is.
I would have liked any of the above players but I will root for Pinkyboy just as much now that he is a Vike.

Formo
09-04-2006, 04:08 AM
With Pinkston's 34.6 mean (that means average..=P) receptions per year, and his 563 mean yards per year..
That equals to what?
16.3 mean yards per catch?
If you ask me..
That's a damn good stat.
Let's compare everyone else's YPC (Note: I rounded each to the tenth yard);

Morton - 14
Hakim - 13.5
Proehl - 13.3
Gardner - 13.1
Rodgers - 12.2
Warrick - 10.9

I realize Pinky isn't going to round up a ton of TD's.
But then again, none of our current recievers have been doing that much lately either..
As long as he's healthy, I'm willing to bet that he will be a good additiond.

I've already explained why I can defend this move..
It's a smart one, which covers the Vikings butts if he doesn't work out concerning his Achilles.
I honestly think that he would be just as good of a pick up as any other of those other WRs we've listed.

As far as the release of Carter goes..
I'm with you.
That move completely boggles me, and the only thing I can hope is that there was something else going on behind scenes that we haven't heard.
I like that kid.

digital420
09-04-2006, 04:37 AM
Well,

we all bashed B.chill for his dreaft pics, then for his pre season collections.. now for his roster cuts. we all knew that names we liked were gonna get the axe. some of them will be kept around, some wont. again it goes back to picking the right guys for piositions.. and not always picking the best guys.

DiGiTaL

dmek25
09-04-2006, 10:10 AM
todd pinkston.... hahahahahah
redskins 27- vikings 10

singersp
09-04-2006, 10:28 AM
"dmek25" wrote:

todd pinkston.... hahahahahah

redskins 27- vikings 10

On your previous, you said it was going to be 27-7. Changing your tune?

marshallvike
09-04-2006, 11:22 AM
what's with all the talk about character and teammates you can count on? signing pinkston shows childress was full of sh!!t when he used those phrases. seeing the clip of him turning from a touchdown catch and cowering from the potential hit reminded me what a piece of dirt he is. i don't want to hear any more crap from childress about character. it doesn't seem to apply if you are from philly.

NordicNed
09-04-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm getting sick of those who keep reffering to Pinkston ducking out on a pass or two to save his body..

I wish I had a film clip to show it, but I know in my mind ( seen it more than once) but our very own beloved R.MOSS ducked more than once himself when asked to go over the middle..

Geeze, I guess that makes Moss a " No Good Aligator Arm Reciever Also"......

marcosMN
09-04-2006, 11:35 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I'm getting sick of those who keep reffering to Pinkston ducking out on a pass or two to save his body..

I wish I had a film clip to show it, but I know in my mind ( seen it more than once) but our very own beloved R.MOSS ducked more than once himself when asked to go over the middle..

Pinkston didn't shatter any records.
8)

singersp
09-04-2006, 11:37 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I mentioned that earlier in another thread. That is why you rarely saw Moss getting sent across the middle.

Use Pinkston for deep routes & use T-Will across the middle. Or use both for deep routes.

Pinkston has caught 184 passes in the NFL yet there is only one clip of him shying away from a hit.

singersp
09-04-2006, 05:49 PM
From KFFL;

Vikings | Pinkston to be ready for season opener
Mon, 4 Sep 2006 14:47:15 -0700

The Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings WR Todd Pinkston (Achilles') says he is healthy and ready to go for the team's season opener Monday, Sept. 11. "I'm coming along fine," Pinkston said. "Just taking it slow, day by day. I'll be good to go on Monday night."

Prophet
09-04-2006, 05:56 PM
A nickname may be in order for Pinkston.
Some nicknames from previous NFL greats:
Crazy Legs, Bullet, Iron Head, The Ghost, Jug, and Pussyton (not that he's a great).
I think Pinkston's nickname needs a little work.

digital420
09-04-2006, 06:39 PM
pinky

it kinda fits.. he's to scared to go over the middle, he's got one talent.. run fast and catch it deep.

sounds right to me..

DiGiTaL

vikinggreg
09-04-2006, 07:04 PM
Pinkston should do well in the dome with the new turf

1)
new turf is softer, helps to muffle the loud stomping of LB's and safeties feet, that can distract some receivers

2) hands don't get cold and sting when ball hits them

3) Dome roof keeps ball frome getting lost in the sun, moon, or confused with goodyear blip etc

4) no bugs like bees or wasps that can cause a receiver to break off his route early

I'm sure there are several other positives Todd will find here as well as several new problems