PDA

View Full Version : Viking fans on the packers

vikingsalltheway
09-15-2004, 07:56 PM
As a Viking fan i always wondered this about everyone? When did you viking fans really start hating the packers. For me it was in 1996 when they won the super bowl every time i wore a viking shirt i was hassled by a fudgie fan. They and the team got so cocky and thought they were so good. Then they swept us in 1997 i believe and i was pissed. I really hated them then.

Kleinsasser40
09-15-2004, 08:45 PM
For me it was around 98. Back in highschool my friend was a packer fan. He was pretty cool about it, but we had our jokes, small bets on games, and such. For us it was a healthy rivalary. I got to college later tough, and met some extatic pack fans. That is where I started to have a passionate hate for them.

For me though, the rivalary vs the Bears was the original. My uncle is pretty crazy, and he is a huge bear fan, so he does not hold anything back, yeah, he is one of those uncles. It has died down recently (bears not doing so good so he is not talking anymore, lol) but I am guessing it will be picking up in a few years.

rjkvikings
09-15-2004, 08:50 PM
I'd say it kinda came with being a Vikes fan. Of course, I became a Vikes fan in 1998 when I was 10 and started to actually watch football so there wasn't really any other rivalry for me.

so-cal vike
09-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Being from Los Angeles and being nothing other than a Raider Hater I have to say that my hatred of the Hack came with being a fan of the Vikings. Which has been just over 15 years now. Since that time I've come to really hate the Hack and many of their fans from around here. With exceptions of course.

What makes this rivalry so great is the 42-42-1 record. Soon to be 44-42-1 Vikings.

SKOL Vikings!!!

LosAngelis
09-15-2004, 09:06 PM
It's interesting. Your stories of starting to hate the Pack in the 90's sound so much like the same reasons we started hating the Bears in the 80's.

so-cal vike
09-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Los is definitely an exception. Rivalries are a great thing no matter how or why they start. It's going to be a great season.

Long live all Raider Haters!!!

VikingsTw
09-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Well i became a fan in like 96 when i really started getting interested in the vikes, of course my dad disliked the pack so i was goin to dislike them also. But i think what really got me was when they lost to them on Moday night in like 2000 or see when dishman dropped the INT on MNF and it landed on freeman's chest and he ran it in i was only 14 or 15 and thats when the hating really started. Something had to spark it.

tlk23
09-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Since I was in the woom.

NeoVikesTX
09-15-2004, 10:56 PM
I really started hating the Pack last season. Before that, my hatred was mostly focused on the Cowboys. But, thanks to last season and how much the packers fans rubbed our noses in our misfortune and their lack of sportsmanship, character, and class, I now hate the Packers the most of any team.

packmanxxxi
09-16-2004, 12:04 AM
BEing a Packers fan, the team I hated the most in the 90's was Dallas... they were the ones who took us out year after year. Now, as a Packer fan, I hate the vikings the most. I would love to say the Bears, but the Vikings are more competative.

I hate the fairweatherness of many Viking fans as well. Not necessarily HERE, but living near Duluth I see people switch all the time. There were NO Viking fans here just 7 yrs ago. (NO is used relatively)

VIKE58
09-16-2004, 01:07 AM
I've been a VIKINGS fan for 35 years :cheers: . But I don't think I really started hateing :angryfire: the Packers till I moved to Wisconsin 15 years ago. But Its a lot of fun to fly my VIKINGS flag proudly all season long. No matter how the season ends up. And I think this will be a great one! :thumbleft:

hawaiianvike21
09-16-2004, 04:47 AM
"VIKE58" wrote:

I've been a VIKINGS fan for 35 years :cheers: . But I don't think I really started hateing :angryfire: the Packers till I moved to Wisconsin 15 years ago. But Its a lot of fun to fly my VIKINGS flag proudly all season long. No matter how the season ends up. And I think this will be a great one! :thumbleft:

You dont get trashed or anything like that by packer fans??? I would think they would give you a hard time and do a lot of pranks and mean things to you after they see you displaying the vikings flag.

You viking fans in wisconsin should tell us what daily life is, living in the dairly land.

sdvikefan
09-16-2004, 05:18 AM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

It's interesting. Your stories of starting to hate the Pack in the 90's sound so much like the same reasons we started hating the Bears in the 80's.

I also considered the Bears our biggest rival in the 80's. Between Ditka, the a**hole Bear fans I went to school with, and the fact that they were just better than us, I hated them more than any other team. Didn't even think of the Packers as a big rival until the last few years.

To be honest, I don't even hate the Packers as much as I used to hate the Bears. Favre, Sherman, Reggie White, Mike Holmgren and those guys combined don't get me half as riled up as Dikta used to. I actually had a picture of him that I would put on my dartboard when we'd play and throw darts at when the Vikings scored a TD. Now that's hatred!

whackthepack
09-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Back in the 70's when the Vikes were going to the superbowl every other year after each lose the Packer fans would being ripping us for losing. "We never lost a superbowl", and this was coming from a team that didn't make the playoffs for a decade.

And I got so tired of hearing every year for 15 years "The Pack Is Back" "The Pack Is Back".

Most arrogent fans in sports, even more than the Bears fan in 1985.

LosAngelis
09-16-2004, 01:17 PM
I think my hatred for the Vikes started intensifying in the late 90's when the games started getting dirty (and both sides contributed to it). Guys like Fuller and Carter whining all the time...just made it easy to hate. Randle was tough, but easy to hate also.

I think it comes down to another team having success at your expense, being able to single out players to hate, and having some trash going on out on the field. That's when the rivalry becomes intense.

VKG4LFE
09-16-2004, 01:35 PM
"tlk23" wrote:

Since I was in the woom.

Me too tlk23, since I was in the womB!

SKOL
09-16-2004, 01:58 PM
I've despised the Pack only since they became competitive, beginning in the 90's. I can't see my "hatred" falling off any time soon, even if they go back to the toilet for a few decades.

I still despise the Bears, since about 1985. I've never disliked the Bears FANS..., I find that they're generally intelligent and down to earth. I like the people in Chicago more than any other big city. I can't say that I hate Packers fans, but they're just a different breed that I have a hard time accepting (present company excepted). I'll go into detail some other time.

It is nice to have rivals though, it makes it fun. Even having the few resident Packers fans on this board is fun. As long as they're respectful (it is a Vikes site).

VKG4LFE
09-16-2004, 02:00 PM
I live in Wisconsin and hate it during football season. Since I am a teacher in a K-2 elementary school I work will all women who know nothing about football and they are the biggest band wagon packer fans. If they win Favre is God, if they lost Favre is too old and should retire. If the vikings lose, I don't hear the end of it. I hate stupid people that know nothing about football, or for that matter that don't even watch their "favorite" team play! I gotta get back to Minnesota!!!

little redhead
09-16-2004, 02:16 PM
I don't think I necessarily hate the Packers as a team. I love to beat them because they are in our division and stand in the way of making the playoffs sometimes. I think because lately they have become competetive and we have been going back and forth with them only in our division well with the exception of when Tampa Bay was in our division for the last few years that is why we detest them but it is more the Packer fans that I have come across that make me hate them. I know there are rotten fans that go with any team but I have found more arrogant packer fans above all the rest with the exception of maybe dallas fans but at least usually dallas fans can take a little ribbing without getting out of control and pouting. That has been my experience I have one girl who is the wife of one of my friends that came from Wisconsin that you just can't talk about football with. She now lives in minnesota and if you even start talking football she gets a big chip on her shoulder and turns it into a war you can't even have an intelligent conversation in general about football because she thinks you are disrespecting her packers and gets all bitchy and storms off and pouts so I find the fans the reason most of all as to why I disklike the packers.

Jer
09-16-2004, 02:17 PM
My hatred of the Vikings really really started in 98' when Moss arrived on the scene. My younger cousin-(14 now and I'm 16) has been a Vikes fan for as long as I can remember me being a Packers fan. Now before that we were the Super Bowl champs and had already gone to the Super Bowl twice-beating the the Vikes 3 out of 4 in two years. All of a sudden the Vikes do awesome in 98' and the Packers "suck." Then in 99' he went on about it. Now I understand if you wanna say Packers suck you say it, just as we do, but what bothers me is he "doesn't want to talk about it" when the Packers are on top. I don't bug him the way he bugged me, but I know that once the Vikes go to the playoffs or start to go ahead of the Packers he will start talking again. He did it last year w/ the whole 6-0 thing and eventually got quiet as the season went on. I hate the Vikes no matter what, but this is fueled by the fact that we see each other in the summer, sometimes christmas and we instant message each other a lot. We're about as tight as brothers-him in Colorado, me in New York, but NFL there is no closeness! Go Packers!

RK.
09-16-2004, 03:44 PM
How can you hate a team whose mascot is a wedgie. :tongue:

You young guys probably don't remember when the networks showed a lot more of the cheerleaders. They stopped doing that in the interests of feminism. Now thats something to hate. :angryfire:

purplehorn
09-16-2004, 04:20 PM
"RK" wrote:

You young guys probably don't remember when the networks showed a lot more of the cheerleaders. They stopped doing that in the interests of feminism. :

For all the teams except the Packer cheerleaders always grazing
and chewin thier cud. It's really disturbing :shock:

transplantedvikingfan
09-16-2004, 04:34 PM
"hawaiianvike21" wrote:

"VIKE58" wrote:

You dont get trashed or anything like that by packer fans??? I would think they would give you a hard time and do a lot of pranks and mean things to you after they see you displaying the vikings flag.

You viking fans in wisconsin should tell us what daily life is, living in the dairly land.

I became a Viking fan because of Packer fans in the 80's. I had to leave my home state of MN and move to WI back then. I have always liked the Vikings but was never a true fan until I encountered what packer fans were like. 1998 was pure hell for me here. I almost ran and hid under my covers. As for daily life tho, they are all just "all hail to favre" day after day. I was dreading opening season this year, as I do most, because they just post all that packer crap all over the damn place here, but this year was a little different for me. I got tickets (GREAT TICKETS) to the home opener this year and celebrated like any viking fan should-with other viking fans. I couldn't talk for two days after that game i was screaming and yelling so much. A truly great feeling for me. And I stayed in MN for 5 days following that game so I didn't get all the crap they put in the papers here either. Another small blessing.

SKOL VIKINGS!

VKG4LFE
09-16-2004, 04:37 PM
I feel your pain transplantedvikingfan, I feel your pain!!

SHOW-TIME
09-16-2004, 06:30 PM
i started being a vikes fan in 98 when i was 10 also as someone else posted. soo around 2000 when we didnt be the pack in either game cause if the vikes wouldve just won one of them we had homefield throughout the playoffs and wouldnt have gotten cheated out by the giants