PDA

View Full Version : McMahon won't play Thursday - Who's mystery WR?

COJOMAY
08-29-2006, 03:56 PM
http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/local/story.aspx?content_id=A7146864-5AEF-4B27-8FBD-8BF4A6E7296D

QB Mike McMahon will not play on Thursday.
A lot of speculation lately on the WR position and whether or not the team was going to look at bringing in Deion Branch of the New England Patriots. Well today the team had a mystery WR working out on the side, prompting Marcus Robinson to joke about getting cut. Coach Childress would not identify the player, so we'll have to wait and see if a roster move is made.

skum
08-29-2006, 04:03 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/local/story.aspx?content_id=A7146864-5AEF-4B27-8FBD-8BF4A6E7296D

A lot of speculation lately on the WR position and whether or not the team was going to look at bringing in Deion Branch of the New England Patriots. Well today the team had a mystery WR working out on the side, prompting Marcus Robinson to joke about getting cut. Coach Childress would not identify the player, so we'll have to wait and see if a roster move is made.

Sounds strange, couldnt it just be Gordon or Kasper or Davis?!

LuckyVike
08-29-2006, 04:06 PM
That's very interesting... I just hope it's not Freddie Mitchell. :D

Prophet
08-29-2006, 04:21 PM
They're probably referring to Davis.

KFFL
Vikings | Davis returns to practice
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:56:12 -0700

Mark Craig and Kevin Seifert, of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, reports WR Josh Davis (undisclosed) returned to practice Monday, Aug. 28.

tiersius
08-29-2006, 04:21 PM
It must be someone that was just cut this week. If it was someone from another team there should be some news of it!

NordicNed
08-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Maybe the return of Jeff George to the league has sparked a flame with some older players....

Could it be Chris Carter?..... :o

Prophet
08-29-2006, 04:26 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Maybe the return of Jeff George to the league has sparked a flame with some older players....

Could it be Cris Carter?..... :o

I heard negotiations were underway to bring Fran Tarkenton and Bob Griese in for the 3rd and 4th stringers.
Not sure if it's true though.

AngloVike
08-29-2006, 04:27 PM
So how exactly do you work out a mystery WR without anyone knowing who he is ? The Vikes going to smuggle someone into Winter Park under a blanket ? ::)

The only question is how quickly could a new WR fit into the scheme - unless we pick up someone who has maybe worked with Childress before - if so who could that be ?

skum
08-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Maybe its just some Philly Practice Squader.. who got cut or something?.. did the Eagles cut some WR this weekend?

CCthebest
08-29-2006, 04:45 PM
If Childress somehow gets Branh, it would go along way for me to forgive him for letting a future hall of fame QB go, and one of the worst drafts Ive seen....

Braddock
08-29-2006, 04:48 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

If Childress somehow gets Branh, it would go along way for me to forgive him for letting a future hall of fame QB go, and one of the worst drafts Ive seen....

Who are you talking about? Have you seen T-Jack? Jump on the HoF train

Prophet
08-29-2006, 04:49 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

...and maybe he'll forgive you for make a post that is riddled with fallacies.

ejmat
08-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Guys and Gals, I may be way off here but what if it were T-Jack doing a little WR.
This is something I think they can put in their offense.
Something like Randle El was with Pitt except for it's the other way around.
Just a thought anyway.
He is a good athelete and he has speed.
I'm not sure about his hands but I'm sure they are fine too.
Why not?

Benet
08-29-2006, 05:12 PM
I'd be VERY surprised if T-Jack was getting reps at WR.

Purple Floyd
08-29-2006, 05:36 PM
I heard it was Jerry Rice

marcosMN
08-29-2006, 05:43 PM
8) I heard it was Mark "Invincible" Wahlberg...

mnjamie
08-29-2006, 06:38 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Mr. Doom and Gloom over here.

::)

VikingPatrick
08-29-2006, 06:47 PM
George "Buster" Rhymes?????
God I hope so!!
He's still got something left in the tank!!

VikesFan4Life
08-29-2006, 07:11 PM
My vote for the "Mystery WR": Rashaun Woods.

arrested_developer
08-29-2006, 07:27 PM
As long as it's not Keenan Howry, this mystery receiver is fine with me. T-Jack in as a WR would be hilarious, interesting, and ingenious.

VikesfaninWis
08-29-2006, 07:36 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Could it be Chris Carter?..... :o

LOL.. I think we all wish that..

vike_mike
08-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Just get McMahon out of Minnesota.
We should have NEVER brung him here.
He has always been terrible and always will be.

NordicNed
08-29-2006, 07:46 PM
"vike_mike" wrote:

Since you put it that way, I'll add another to that list, Rosenthal.......He's done nothing for this team but stink..... ::)

cogitans
08-29-2006, 07:49 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

"vike_mike" wrote:

Since you put it that way, I'll add another to that list, Rosenthal.......He's done nothing for this team but stink..... ::)

Yeah, why can't we trade him to Denny down in the dessert and get something for him.
:)

petrodemos
08-29-2006, 08:07 PM
mystery WR, todd pinkston?

god i hope not. just watched nfl live and they talked about pinkston is being allowed to seek a trade. if childress brings him to minnesota i am officially off of the childress bandwagon. mcmahon didnt work out, mcmullen so far i know hasent worked out. please dont be pinkston..please dont be stinkston....

SharperVikings
08-29-2006, 08:17 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

mystery WR, todd pinkston?

god i hope not. just watched nfl live and they talked about pinkston is being allowed to seek a trade. if childress brings him to minnesota i am officially off of the childress bandwagon. mcmahon didnt work out, mcmullen so far i know hasent worked out. please dont be pinkston..please dont be stinkston....

I also heard this....but he does know the system!
I wont complain unless we give too much for him.

petrodemos
08-29-2006, 08:51 PM
so did mcmoron and mcmullethead. they suck. ;D

i just have absolutly no confidence in childress' ex-eagle moves. hey childress, get over those "ex-eagle they know the system" guys! those guys suck! thers a reason the eagles are getting rid of them, why cant childress see it? :'(

Purple Floyd
08-29-2006, 09:09 PM
I wish the team would change their slogan from Purplepride to "No more charity cases"

Garland Greene
08-29-2006, 09:22 PM
I heard it was Randy Moss.

Hey a guy can dream right ;D

whackthepack
08-30-2006, 12:33 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

The future hall of famer for the 10 thousandth time posted on PPO, forced his way out of Minnesota and let's not start a long debate about it!
1 more point on that subject, did you hear that Daunte went up and thanked the guy from Carolina that tore up his knee last year because it got him out of Minnesota?
So let's put the blame where it really belongs with Daunte!

And secondly the worst draft ever!

Greenway: hurt hard to say where this goes.

Griffin:
looks really good for a rookie and could be a great player in a few years.

Cook:
it will take 3 to 4 years to tell how good an O-lineman is.

T-Jack: looks like he has the tools and the brain to match (something Daunte lacked) and will be interesting to see how this works out.

Ray Edwards:
has been a great surprise and most experts concidered him 1st round talent but because of trouble with coaches dropped to 4th round.
Has the talent and could be a steal if mentally he stays together.

Greg Blue:
is blowing people up with his tackles and has a chance to be on the Vikes for awhile.

The worst draft ever?

Lets look a couple from a few years ago.

1) Chris Hovan
2) Fred Robbins
2) Mike Boreau
3) Doug Chapman
4) Antonio Wilson
4) Tyrone Carter
5) Troy Walters
7) Mike Malano
7) Giles Core
7) Lewis Kelly

10 players draft not 1 on the Viking anymore.

1) Michael Bennet
2) Willie Howard
3) Eric Kelly
3) Brook Williams
4) Shaun Worthen
4) Cedric James
5) Patrick Chulwurah
6) Carey scott
7) Brian Crowford

9 plays drafted not 1 on the Vikes anymore.

Worse than these drafts?
I don't think so!

ejmat
08-30-2006, 01:28 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

so did mcmoron and mcmullethead. they suck. ;D

i just have absolutly no confidence in childress' ex-eagle moves. hey childress, get over those "ex-eagle they know the system" guys! those guys suck! thers a reason the eagles are getting rid of them, why cant childress see it? :'(

What about Artis Hicks?
I think he's been a fine pick up.
I do agree about McMahon so far.
Not looking good at all.

UndisputedVike
08-30-2006, 02:41 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Sorry but your the kind of fan I'm embarrassed to know is a fan of the Vikings...makes fans look very bad. Make sure you read up about players and the situations before you make more posts like that.

ejmat
08-30-2006, 02:57 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

Sorry but your the kind of fan I'm embarrassed to know is a fan of the Vikings...makes fans look very bad. Make sure you read up about players and the situations before you make more posts like that.

Amen UV.
I wish when people post they learn about the factors that go with situations.
Ignorant statements don't add to the conversations except for avoiding the real topic.

whackthepack
08-30-2006, 03:36 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

The future hall of famer for the 10 thousandth time posted on PPO, forced his way out of Minnesota and let's not start a long debate about it!
1 more point on that subject, did you hear that Daunte went up and thanked the guy from Carolina that tore up his knee last year because it got him out of Minnesota?

So let's put the blame where it really belongs with Daunte!

And secondly the worst draft ever!

Greenway: hurt hard to say where this goes.

Griffin:
looks really good for a rookie and could be a great player in a few years.

Cook:
it will take 3 to 4 years to tell how good an O-lineman is.

T-Jack: looks like he has the tools and the brain to match (something Daunte lacked) and will be interesting to see how this works out.

Ray Edwards:
has been a great surprise and most experts concidered him 1st round talent but because of trouble with coaches dropped to 4th round.
Has the talent and could be a steal if mentally he stays together.

Greg Blue:
is blowing people up with his tackles and has a chance to be on the Vikes for awhile.

The worst draft ever?

Lets look a couple drafts from a few years ago.

1) Chris Hovan
2) Fred Robbins
2) Mike Boreau
3) Doug Chapman
4) Antonio Wilson
4) Tyrone Carter
5) Troy Walters
7) Mike Malano
7) Giles Core
7) Lewis Kelly

10 players drafted not 1 on the Viking anymore.

1) Michael Bennet
2) Willie Howard
3) Eric Kelly
3) Brook Williams
4) Shaun Worthen
4) Cedric James
5) Patrick Chulwurah
6) Carey scott
7) Brian Crowford

9 players drafted not 1 on the Vikes anymore.

Worse than these drafts?
I don't think so!

No response at least try and back up your position and statements.

For some reason you blame Childress for something (Corey Chavous) and I don't understand you negative attitude towards the Vikings and every move they make, but if you are going to post things about what they do then at least back them up.

I think you are mad because he didn't bring Chavous back well if you remember Chavous said he didn't want to play here and it was Tice that didn't give him a long term contract not Childress so blame the right guy.

Zeus
08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

The "mystery" WR was Derrick Hamilton, 24, formerly of the 49ers.

Here's his bio from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Hamilton
"Hamilton never caught a pass in his time with the 49ers and played in only the final two games of his rookie season (2004). Hamilton tore a ligament in his left knee during a summer workout and did not play a down in his second year in the NFL (2005).

While supposedly nursing his damaged knee, Hamilton did not participate in summer training activities. During this time, he was seen dunking in a charity basketball game. Early in training camp, Hamilton injured his hamstring and barely participated in workouts.

On August 11, 2006, the one time Clemson standout and 77th overall draft choice (who left school early to enter the draft as a junior) was quietly waived by his team without ever catching a single pass."

=Z=

sunny
08-30-2006, 04:31 PM
[quote author=AWZeus link=topic=26545.msg460129#msg460129 date=1156966965

The "mystery" WR was Derrick Hamilton, 24, formerly of the 49ers.

Here's his bio from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Hamilton
"Hamilton never caught a pass in his time with the 49ers and played in only the final two games of his rookie season (2004). Hamilton tore a ligament in his left knee during a summer workout and did not play a down in his second year in the NFL (2005).

While supposedly nursing his damaged knee, Hamilton did not participate in summer training activities. During this time, he was seen dunking in a charity basketball game. Early in training camp, Hamilton injured his hamstring and barely participated in workouts.

On August 11, 2006, the one time Clemson standout and 77th overall draft choice (who left school early to enter the draft as a junior) was quietly waived by his team without ever catching a single pass."

=Z=
[/quote]

Good, If it would have been Stinksston I think I would have puked in my beer during the first game.

and this just in from KKFL

Vikings | Team may be interested in Pinkston
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:43:25 -0700

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports there figures to be a handful of teams with varying degrees of interest in free agent WR Todd Pinkston (Eagles). One of those teams could be the Minnesota Vikings, who could use a veteran wide receiver to augment their current corps. Vikings head coach Brad Childress is the former offensive coordinator of the Eagles and is familiar with Pinkston's history. When Pinkston's name was put up for trade, three teams had indicated an interest in him to agent Joel Segal. What most teams will have to determine in considering Pinkston is the status of his health.

sunny
08-30-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm starting to feel ill already :-X

thevikingfan
08-30-2006, 04:35 PM
whoever it is i just hope that its not todd pinkston! bcuz he just plain sucks look at his stats!

WaywardHoosier
08-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm surprised that the Vikings show an interest in McMahon.
He has struggled for the last few years and "struggled" is an understatement.

There are a lot of things I don't understand though....like Jeff George back to the NFL?
There has to be young talent coming out of some college somewhere that is better than these two. There just has to be...

DaVizzles
08-30-2006, 06:39 PM
childress will probably sign Pinkston and Koy Detmer just cause he is an idiot and has to sign all the former eagles

DERRICK HAMILTON SUCKS

WaywardHoosier
08-30-2006, 09:33 PM
DaVizzles makes a good point. Coaches of previous teams bring the players they previously knew and in many cases want to make a point that he was "my guy" and he's better now at my new team because of me, etc.

Refer to Dick Vermeil and Trent Green with the Rams.
Green was "Vermeil's QB" and Vermeil openly wept when Green was injured and he had "to make do" with Kurt Warner until Warner became the MVP and won the Super Bowl (Vermeil cried openly again but this time in joy).
Exit Vermeil to Kansas City and who ended up being his QB and yes, no Super Bowl?

Zeus
08-31-2006, 08:41 AM
"WaywardHoosier" wrote:

DaVizzles makes a good point. Coaches of previous teams bring the players they previously knew and in many cases want to make a point that he was "my guy" and he's better now at my new team because of me, etc.

Refer to slick willy Vermeil and Trent Green with the Rams.
Green was "Vermeil's QB" and Vermeil openly wept when Green was injured and he had "to make do" with Kurt Warner until Warner became the MVP and won the Super Bowl (Vermeil cried openly again but this time in joy).
Exit Vermeil to Kansas City and who ended up being his QB and yes, no Super Bowl?

DaVizzles' "good point" is almost lost in the stupidity of the "childress...just cause he is an idiot and has to sign all the former eagles" comment.

It's obvious that coaches like to sign players with which they are familiar.
In many cases, they know how they will react at game time and the quality of their impact on the team.
A MUCH better example would be Bill Parcells and certain players over the years like Bryan Cox, Maurice Carthon, etc.

=Z=

singersp
08-31-2006, 08:49 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"WaywardHoosier" wrote:

Refer to slick willy Vermeil and Trent Green with the Rams.

DaVizzles' "good point" is almost lost in the stupidity of the "childress...just cause he is an idiot and has to sign all the former eagles" comment.

It's obvious that coaches like to sign players with which they are familiar.
In many cases, they know how they will react at game time and the quality of their impact on the team.
A MUCH better example would be Bill Parcells and certain players over the years like Bryan Cox, Maurice Carthon, etc.

=Z=

With that being said, why would Childress sign a QB in a WCO offense when he knows he has only completed 44.5% of his passes.

The performance quality of the QB is what is what I question here.

WaywardHoosier
08-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Agreed.
I have no idea if Childress will be a good head coach until we see his teams's performance over the upcoming years.
Mike McMahon has struggled for several years now and does not appear to be able to lead the Vikings in a winning direction.

I'm surprised with the interest in him.