PDA

View Full Version : Wk 1. Redskins.

Prophet
08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
The Redskins have scored 17 total pts in three preseason games.
Sure, Portis is out, but that is pathetic.
Sure, the preseason is not a measure for success in the regular season, but when you lose 41-0 in the third week of preseason there has to be red flags raised, or possibly white flags.
The third preseason game is usually the most realistic game of the preseason with the starters stayin in the longest.
The last week of preseason is the final time to decide who makes the illustrious 53-man roster.

Preseason

Wk 1
Redskins score 3 pts against Bengals.
Final 3-19.

Buffalo scored 31 pts against the Bengals in wk 2 and we'll see how the Packers do tonight.

Buffalo scored a bunch in their matchup vs the Bengals, but the Redsticks could only must 3 pts.

Wk 2
Redskins score 14 against Jets.
Final 14-27.

Tampa racks up a W with 16 pts against the Jets in wk 1 and the Jints score 13 for a W against the Redskins in wk 3.

A wash.

Wk 3
Redskins score 0 pts against Patriots.
Final 0-41.

Falcons rack up 26 pts against the Patriots in wk 1 and Cards get 3 pts vs Patriots in week 2.

Ouch.
Gotta hurt.

Wk 4
Redskins play Ravens

The 41-0 loss must make Gibbs shudder, even if it is preseason.
What does this mean to Vikes fans?
A hint of optimism is what I see when they head to D.C. for a heavily secure matchup on 9/11.
Hopefully Clinton Portis is ready to play.
A surprise may be in store at the nation's capitol.

miakurtzy07
08-28-2006, 03:00 PM
With the way the preseason has gone I see us winning this game. It's not gonna be a blowout like the Baltimore game but I say...Vikes 26-Skins 17.

Vikefanman2000
08-28-2006, 03:11 PM
You can't have an undefeated season without starting out 1-0!
:o

mnjamie
08-28-2006, 03:47 PM
Scary thing is, the Skins are still 6 pts. favorites in Vegas ... BET THE COLLEGE FUND ON VIKES !!!!!

Easy money .....

8)

Vikes_King
08-28-2006, 05:55 PM
yeah, i got to say, 3 weeks ago i was a lot less optimistic about our chances against a few of our early games, but now im starting to really think we could be better than expected

oakmage
08-28-2006, 06:02 PM
It is a sure lock that the Vikes will win week one bank it.

cajunvike
08-28-2006, 06:12 PM
"oakmage" wrote:

It is a sure lock that the Vikes will win week one bank it.

I hope so...me and Pologirl need to be able to razz all these Skins fans here ALL YEAR LONG!!!!

The Dropper
08-28-2006, 06:21 PM
We're gonna take the Washingtons to the woodshed methinks. I almost pity them...almost.

Braddock
08-28-2006, 06:27 PM
I want it to be a close game so we can fly low under the radar, than when we face the Panthers, BAM!!! Blow up and take it
from them in a huge way. 2-0 start here we come.

gregair13
08-29-2006, 12:48 AM
i will be picking us in week 1, that is for damn sure

Vikes_King
08-29-2006, 02:03 AM
"Braddock" wrote:

I want it to be a close game so we can fly low under the radar, than when we face the Panthers, BAM!!! Blow up and take it
from them in a huge way. 2-0 start here we come.

i have to admit, i really think the panthers will be a tough game

Marrdro
08-31-2006, 11:41 AM
I am still looking for some Vikes Fans to suds a few with at the game.
Anyone gonna be there or do I have to take on all Redskins fans with just my wife and son
;D

dmek25
09-04-2006, 06:28 AM
how many points are the vikings going to score with todd pinkston being their best receiver? the skins win easily 27-7

NordicNed
09-04-2006, 08:05 AM
"dmek25" wrote:

how many points are the vikings going to score with todd pinkston being their best receiver? the skins win easily 27-7

Nice first post LOSER

VAKirks
09-04-2006, 08:21 AM
"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

You can't have an undefeated season without starting out 1-0!

I could not agree more.

We need to win all of our away games and not lose any at home.
Plus we need to win all the NFC games and add the AFC games for bonus.
And let's not forget the playoffs... you get the picture.

(fan is short for FANatic!!)
Go Vikes.

NordicNed
09-04-2006, 08:28 AM
This Yahoo read, sure makes me feel good..

Bumbling Redskins

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
September 3, 2006

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – It might be a teaspoon of supreme confidence with a dash of twisted genius. That or maybe the Washington Redskins are in bigger trouble than they're letting on.

A winless preseason has come and gone, and the assumed NFC powerhouse spent the last month running stripped-down schemes, resting injured players and generally looking like a beach ball that had a piano dropped on it. In turn, the storm clouds have churned overhead, and Washington has started to look like a frontrunner in the race for the most talented NFC East team likely to stumble and miss the playoffs. And if it wasn't for Joe Gibbs – whose team went 0-4 during the 1982 preseason but reached the next two Super Bowls – it might be time to panic.

Or maybe it's beyond that point.

"I'm not going to sit here and tell you what's going to happen, when it's going to happen or what's going to make it better," said Redskins wideout Santana Moss, after Washington had suffered a 41-0 humbling at New England. "But when we get it – if we get it – you'll know. I can't tell you any more than that. I don't know. To be honest, I'm lost with it. I don't have anything else to say."

Certainly, it was an empty August, with Clinton Portis suffering a separated shoulder early in the team's first preseason game and Washington responding by getting outscored 104-27 in four ugly losses. But as bad as it was, the lack of success remains hard to quantify. Beyond shaping rosters, the NFL's preseason is largely a game of schematic peek-a-boo, where potential is shadowy and statistics are misleading. Facts that couldn't have been illustrated more clearly than last season, when Ben Roethlisberger and the Steelers looked atrocious leading up to the regular season, then flipped the switch on a World Championship team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Whether Washington has that kind of ability depends on what you believe – your eyes, which showed a first-team offense that couldn't stay on the field and a first-team defense that couldn't get off it, and individual players losing vital one-on-one battles? Or do you go with your ears, which are told the Redskins are merely failing in bland schemes that don't feature a fraction of Washington's vast situational capabilities?

Where it concerns the latter, the Redskins' coordinators have brushed off any suggestion of panic. Offensive coordinator Al Saunders has insisted he was revealing about two percent of his biblically long 700-page playbook in the preseason. And to his credit, the Redskins have utilized very little shifting and motion – two trademarks of Saunders' units. Meanwhile, defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was missing key starters much of the preseason, and dialed back the blitz schemes that became Washington's spine in the 2005 playoff push.

"It's not a total excuse. It was pretty much vanilla out there," said Redskins defensive tackle Joe Salevea. "But you can't blame it all on that. We're not executing basic things, and that's a big problem. How are you supposed to (implement) the whole thing when you can't even get your fundamentals right? That goes against everything we stand for."

Another ominous reality: Washington is already dealing with some significant health issues. Cornerback Shawn Springs has been out since mid-August after having abdominal surgery and now appears likely to miss at least the season-opener against the Vikings. Defensive end Phillip Daniels was sidelined for three preseason games with back issues, and defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin has been out since Aug. 19 with a sprained right knee. Both Daniels and Griffin are expected to return for the season-opener.

Yet, the problems for Springs and Griffin remain troubling, considering they are arguably sitting atop the list of players Washington's defense can't afford to lose. The Redskins' interior defense went soft when Griffin suffered a hip injury in an embarrassing 36-0 loss to the Giants last season. Not only is he still the team's best run-stuffing lineman, he's the anchor in the middle of the line that allows the front seven to function on the far edge with aggression that Williams favors.

As for Springs, his injury leaves Carlos Rogers to cover opposing No. 1 wideouts. And considering some of Rogers' struggles in the preseason – not to mention the erratic coverage abilities of Adam Archuleta – he's likely going to get tested on a four-quarter basis. Keeping in mind the issues the safeties and linebackers had with Patriots tight end Ben Watson in the preseason, the secondary has looked mediocre at best.

That might have been a bigger story over the last few weeks had it not been overshadowed by an offense that appeared to be operating in quicksand. Despite the additions of Saunders and some high-priced talent, quarterback Mark Brunell and the starters failed to score a single point in the preseason. Brunell finished 16 of 35 and rarely looked sharp, although he wasn't working with his full complement of wideouts on a consistent basis. Even Portis' injury seemed to cause some unexpected waves when the Redskins traded for T.J. Duckett – something that didn't sit well with the other backs who thought it was their chance to step up and contribute.

"We'd like a little more consistency with the passing game," Brunell said. "Obviously the reads, accuracy and just managing the game I think those things will get better. … (But) running basic sets is no excuse for us not being able to run the ball better or throw the ball better."

"We're still grasping this thing offensively," Moss added. "It's not an overnight thing. We're still trying to get this thing to where we're locked into it and we have it. But you have to go out there and play like that. Games are really meaningful. It's true we're not winning. And it's true we're not looking good. But we're doing some things that we know are going to help us down the road. These games are really helping us even though it doesn't look like we're doing anything."

The proof is bound to come soon enough. Of all the teams with question marks heading into the regular season, the Redskins top the charts in every unit. History shows Gibbs has been able to cope and adjust to frustrating starts before. Whether he can continue that trend, well, even he seems to be grasping at that answer.

"We've got a lot of straightening out to do and we're certainly going to have to play much better if we're going to win a game against Minnesota," Gibbs said after the preseason finale against the Ravens. "Teams are tough things to predict. I certainly can't do it. I'm going to be as nervous as anybody in here can believe (when the season opens) on Monday night."

Prophet
09-04-2006, 08:37 AM
"dmek25" wrote:

Insightful post.
Does PP.O give honorary HOF status to new members that come out of the box swinging?

TheMalcolmConnection
09-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Skins fan here.

Just been curious as to what other teams thought about our chances with the upcoming games. I stumbled upon this site and noticed that there seems to be overwhelming confidence in beating us on opening day. Just curious as to the reasoning behind that. I'm always up for hearing some facts and observations from opposing fans.

To be sure, Skins nation is VERY concerned about Mark Brunell. We all know that if he's slightly hurt, he doesn't throw well. Most of the people on the forum I'm a member of, think we'll win easily. Even though I think we'll win, that won't be the case.

Just some food for thought on the positive side: Joe Gibbs is undefeated against the Vikings in his career. The Redskins have a pretty decent opening day winning streak going on. Clinton Portis WILL play. He is already ahead of schedule on rehab and had the last preseason game been a real game, he would have already played. Last time Joe Gibbs was 0-4 in the preseason, the Skins won the Super Bowl.

I see some of your members mention that no team should get walloped like the Skins did against the Patriots. I just want to remind you of the third game the Colts played in preseason last year as well where they got shallacked by the Bengals.

To give credit where it's due, the Vikings has one of the better left line sides in the game. That is a concerning factor to me. That's really where the concern ends. No matter what kind of fan you are, Chester Taylor hasn't really lit up the world and losing Koren Robinson, the team's best receiving threat can only hurt.

While I don't think it will be a blowout my any means,
I think the Vikings would have to play their VERY best game and the Skins play at 50% or worse for the Vikes to pull out a win. I know it's "Any given Sunday," but only losing one home game last year AND the team only improving in the offseason has to have you concerned just a wee bit.

Prophet
09-04-2006, 08:46 AM
I'm looking forward to the game and am well aware of the worthless nature of using preseason games to forecast future success.

I really don't think that many rational fans are thinking the season opener in Redstick territory will be a cake-walk.
The Redsticks have a formidable team and the Vikings have a team that is better than many of the pundits predict.

I'm looking forward to a hard fought game, if the Vikes starting D looks anything like it did in the preseason games the Vikings will have a good chance for an upset on opening day.

TheMalcolmConnection
09-04-2006, 08:59 AM
The defense was definitely looking particularly nasty. If that's the case, it's going to be a field position battle and God knows we have possibly the worst punter in the league (and maybe kicker for that matter). The secondary is above average and your front four is great. I would think your main worry would be the linebackers. I see Cooley having room underneath as well as quite a few screen passes. Too bad for Greenway, I was really looking forward to seeing him play. He would have instantly helped that LB corps.

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 09:00 AM
i dont think there will be too much to worry about witht he skins, the way our defense has played, brunnell might not be in there long and as it appears, portis will not be playing, i just hope our running game improves alot and if it does, we will win

TheMalcolmConnection
09-04-2006, 09:05 AM
On the Portis note, actually he will.

I AM concerned about Brunell however. Your pass rush has been looking great, even though I feel confident in the Skins ability to plan for it. They played againast tougher rushes last year and faired OK. If Brunell takes the tiniest shot, he's like, "OW! My girl parts!" and then plays like crap the rest of the game/season.

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 09:06 AM
i agree with you on greenway, i am from iowa and as much a hawkeye fan as i am viking and i was so excited to see greenway go them and he gets hurt, but right now i dont think there is too much of a worry with our linebackers we have, henderson and harris are playing really good, this is their style of football, barring any injuries, we will be fine with linebackers...

TheMalcolmConnection
09-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Well, I'll agree to disagree there. Just dropping by to see what all the chest-pounding was about. I'll check in after the game.

I'm out like Lance Bass.

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 09:10 AM
hope it turns out to be a good game and with no injuries to either team, talk to you after the game

NaryBim
09-04-2006, 09:15 AM
"TheMalcolmConnection" wrote:

To give credit where it's due, the Vikings has one of the better left line sides in the game. That is a concerning factor to me.

I'm guessing Gibbs may be a bit more concerned with the defensive line than the left side of the offense.
The O-line is too new to this system and to each other to dominate a game early in the season, especially with the run. The D-line, however, is a different story.

This game is going to be a challenge for both teams.
Its silly to give too much weight to these preseason games--what part of the offensive is Gibbs showing, 2% or something like that?
The same can be said, I'm sure,
for Childress.
In the end, though,
I expect the vikes will grind out a win, and Chester will suprise some people as a receiver early in the season--he's much, much better than we've seen to date.

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 09:39 AM
i totally agree with you on preseason, they wont show you alot of what they will do and i hope your right about chester, now is the time where everything counts..cant wait till the game...

Toro
09-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Redskins haven't looked good in the pre-season.

This one's going to be a snoozer.

Toro
09-04-2006, 09:51 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

Scary thing is, the Skins are still 6 pts. favorites in Vegas ... BET THE COLLEGE FUND ON VIKES !!!!!

Easy money .....

8)

That's shocking.

Talk about over-rated.

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 10:00 AM
that is being over rated...maybe i should take out a small loan and make some money from the people in vegas....

dmek25
09-04-2006, 10:04 AM
are you telling me the boys in vegas dont know crap? there is a reason thats their job, to pick spreads. the viking defense doesnt worry me, because it seems like every year its new and improved, and every year its the same old sucky defense. a positive for viking fans is your coach, childress. will have the vikings looking, acting, and eventually playing like an NFL team

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 10:10 AM
you also telling me that those vegas boys dont ever get it wrong, well they are wrong this time...

GFreeman44
09-04-2006, 10:40 AM
It's going to be a close game.
One other thing the Skins have going for them is that it is going to get very, very loud on Monday Night.
Which is kinda why I hope are D takes the field on the opening drive.
If we can get a stop or make the Skins go 4 and out, that will calm the fans a bit.
Another thing that scares me, is the Skins D.
It seems like whoever they stick in there plays well, and that is because they run one of the best Defensive schemes in the league.
This could really give our offense trouble, especially in the 1st half.

In order to win this game, I think we have to eliminate the "big plays" by the skins, and control t.o.p.
Luckily, BJ is known for not making mistakes and usually does not throw interceptions.
I don't expect our running game to be effective, but I do think we can make use of Chester Taylor out of the backfield passing.
Also, we need to stretch the field and make use of our TE's out in the flat.
If we put ourselves on alot of 2nd and shorts we will have success.

PurpleTide
09-04-2006, 11:00 AM
I agree, we need a couple 3 and outs to quiet those deadskin fans. Our offense is still a work in progress as far as the running game goes, but Childress will have some tricks and new formations to create missmatches and control the ball.
If we rattle Brunell early, and stop the run we will be the victor. Skol Vikings.

vikingbill50
09-04-2006, 11:53 AM
i am sure our front 4 on defense will show of people hwo good they are gonna be this year barring any injuries, they have shown it already and now this time it really counts, they will be pumped up, yea the noise will be loud but hey, they play in the dome and it is just as loud if not louder, it will be a very good game and i am sure brad will pick apart the defense of the skins, my main concern is the running tho..i hope it shows alot more than what the preseason did....we will all see come next monday night...GOOOOOOOOOOOO VIKES

a1961viking
09-04-2006, 12:10 PM
I was at the last MIN @ WASH game, Moss' last regular season game as a Viking. In pregame warmups, he and several other Vikings were passing footballs to the end zone Viking fans, including one to me. He made a spectacular TD catch and had a second one taken away because of a phantom penalty. Seems like a lifetime ago!Vikings have always struggled playing at Redskins. But with their offense struggling and our defense improving, we may take a 16-13 type win. I'll be there!

Prophet
09-04-2006, 05:02 PM
"a1961viking" wrote:

I was at the last MIN @ WASH game, Moss' last regular season game as a Viking. In pregame warmups, he and several other Vikings were passing footballs to the end zone Viking fans, including one to me. He made a spectacular TD catch and had a second one taken away because of a phantom penalty. Seems like a lifetime ago!Vikings have always struggled playing at Redskins. But with their offense struggling and our defense improving, we may take a 16-13 type win. I'll be there!

Welcome to the site, introduce yourself in the 'free beer' forum....especially if you're thirsty for some virtual beer.

PurpleRide
09-04-2006, 05:17 PM
I do think it will be a close game if the vikings can hold the skins to a punt on the first few drives.
The vikings do not have an offence that is able to come back from being behind by too many points.
It will be very important for the vikings to score 6 every time they are in the red zone.
I being a fan believe the team that scores more points will win this game.
I came up with that therory after talking to the man Sid Hartman because he is the smartest man every to cover sports in MN.
What will we do without Homerboy sid?

Vikes_King
09-04-2006, 05:25 PM
I being a fan believe the team that scores more points will win this game.

yup, thats how it normally goes =(

lol

redskins1
09-04-2006, 05:48 PM
viking fans i like that you guys think that your vikes will come to fedexfield on monday night and beat my redskins...you guys are putting to much stock in preseason play,you will be in for a rude awakening come next monday night...the redskins will be pumped up ready to show everybody preseason play means nothing....the 12th man will be going crazy!!!!!

Vikes_King
09-04-2006, 06:01 PM
"redskins1" wrote:

viking fans i like that you guys think that your vikes will come to fedexfield on monday night and beat my redskins...you guys are putting to much stock in preseason play,you will be in for a rude awakening come next monday night...the redskins will be pumped up ready to show everybody preseason play means nothing....the 12th man will be going crazy!!!!!

first off; u should go to the free beer forum and introduce yourself to the site

2ndly, its not preseason that most of us are banking on.
im banking on a reliable QB with a solid WR corps and a terrific o-line & D.

that and the redskins o-line, portis might not play, and their QB..they do have a really nice WR set, but other than that idk.

should be close though

NaryBim
09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
"dmek25" wrote:

the viking defense doesnt worry me, because it seems like every year its new and improved, and every year its the same old sucky defense. a positive for viking fans is your coach, childress. will have the vikings looking, acting, and eventually playing like an NFL team

The same 'old sucky defense?"
"Eventually playing like an NFL team?"
Oh my...
For your edification, this http://www.rochestersports.com/bills/images/1227story2_1.jpg

is not this http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/33/333321.jpg!

vikesD
09-04-2006, 10:57 PM
I think if the Vikes just pound the ball the Skins will fall ha ha

GreenBaySlackers
09-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Vikes- 24
Skins- 21

hellishly close game.

Brad plays well, really spreads the ball around.

Chester plays like crap, while fason comes in and plays better.

Defence plays really, really well.
Smoot takes one to the house.
Erasmus has 2.5 sacks.

Warp
09-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Well I do think this will be a really close game, and even though before preseason i gave the skins the edge, After seeing thier offense in preseason i gotta give it back to the Vikings. And to people saying preseason dont mean anything, Well yes that can be true but the skins looked horrible on offense last season, and this years preseason so you have to go by that too. Go Vikings!

midgensa
09-05-2006, 01:40 AM
I like our chances in this game more and more as game time closes in. Any DC or NoVa. folks goin to Stars and Stripes for the game? I think I may hit it up.

AngloVike
09-05-2006, 06:00 AM
I fully agree that this will be a close game and anyone - on either side - who thinks it will be a cakewalk is in for a big surprise.
Based on what I've seem so far I think that the Vikes D can restrict the 'skins scoring but to what extent I wouldn't like to say. Like us they've only been using a vanilla flavour on offense so I don't believe we have seen anything near what they can do, course Portis being banged up/doubtful could cause them big problems.
At present I'm waiting to see how our offense matches up against someone in the regular season. So far it hasn't been proved itself fully in some peoples eyes - due to the lack of anything other than a basic WCO. Again until we see it used it as Childress intends with all the whistles and bells then we really don't have a good clue as to how it will fare.
The last aspect which many forget about are special teams, our punt and kick returns have not been good and this could be a big factor. If the game is close, as I think it will be, then one bad return or fumble could be enough to win or lose the game.

singersp
09-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Vikings 20, Redskins 10

DCJAM
09-05-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm putting 2,000 on this game.
Wife wants a new kitchen, and I'm goign to win her some granite countertops!@

You guys are crazy for even thinking this might be close.
Brunell is an old drunk, portis is all bangded up, their defense stinks without arrington and they couldn't kick their way out of a wet sack.
This game is already won without us even showing up.
Gibbs is so over the hill and he needs to go back to nascar, they've bought every high priced coach in the NFL and they still can't win a single preseason game.

I just read that their owner is now trying to become a movie producer and signed a deal with Tom Cruze.
Maybe Tom can use some of his scientologist magic to help the redskins win.
FAT CHANCE!

The vikings have an awesome QB that the redskins couldn't afford to hang on to and we've got a solid running game that will really turn on once the season begins.
It was all fun and games, but the hurting starts on 9/11.

I'm predicting the vikes win, 15 to 4.

Prophet
09-05-2006, 11:33 AM
"DCJAM" wrote:

I'm putting 2,000 on this game.
Wife wants a new kitchen, and I'm goign to win her some granite countertops!@

You guys are crazy for even thinking this might be close.
Brunell is an old drunk, portis is all bangded up, their defense stinks without arrington and they couldn't kick their way out of a wet sack.
This game is already won without us even showing up.
Gibbs is so over the hill and he needs to go back to nascar, they've bought every high priced coach in the NFL and they still can't win a single preseason game.

I just read that their owner is now trying to become a movie producer and signed a deal with Tom Cruze.
Maybe Tom can use some of his scientologist magic to help the redskins win.
FAT CHANCE!

The vikings have an awesome QB that the redskins couldn't afford to hang on to and we've got a solid running game that will really turn on once the season begins.
It was all fun and games, but the hurting starts on 9/11.

I'm predicting the vikes win, 15 to 4.

;D, I hope you didn't put the $2K down based on guessing the final outcome.
Maybe 0-2 would be more likely.

CCthebest
09-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Wow, some of you really think the defense is that good? We gave up 500+ yards last preseason game. The starting D looked ok, but its not like we alrdy have a top 10 D before the seasons starts.

Portis is very good, even if he is banged up.

I think if the D can get a few turnovers we will win. Otherwise it will be very close. Hopefully Taylor and the O-Line can get something done with the running game.

Vikings 17 SKins 14

Del Rio
09-05-2006, 12:06 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Wow, some of you really think the defense is that good? We gave up 500+ yards last preseason game. The starting D looked ok, but its not like we alrdy have a top 10 D before the seasons starts.

I think if the D can get a few turnovers we will win. Otherwise it will be very close. Hopefully Taylor and the O-Line can get something done with the running game.

Vikings 17 SKins 14

LMAO

Yes the starting D did look ok. Guess who is going to be playing in the game........the starting D.

CCthebest
09-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Once again, burned by Del's wit...let me go find a corner to crawl in

JDogg926
09-05-2006, 12:56 PM
I just hope, if Portis does play, we're able to shut him down.
Without him, I really like our chances in this game.

NodakPaul
09-05-2006, 12:57 PM
I agree that it will be a close game, and our starting defense needs to continue to play like it has in preseason for us to pull off a win.
It will help if the running game picks up, but I think we will be relying more on the flat passes and screens to keep the defense honest than runs.

17-14 sounds like a reasonable score to me.

sleepagent
09-05-2006, 01:17 PM
I am anxiuos to see the "new & improved" Vikings in all their glory.

The preseason gave us hope that this revamped defense is for real having done a great job of shutting down some quality teams.

While the offense is a concern with its running game (or lack thereof), we can now see how things will loosen up as the game wears on late in the 3rd quarter after having the opposing defense tired from so much time on thie field.

I think the game will be close at the half with things finally breaking out in the 2nd half.

Vikings win the opener 31-17.

thevikingfan
09-05-2006, 02:21 PM
"TheMalcolmConnection" wrote:

Skins fan here.

Just been curious as to what other teams thought about our chances with the upcoming games. I stumbled upon this site and noticed that there seems to be overwhelming confidence in beating us on opening day. Just curious as to the reasoning behind that. I'm always up for hearing some facts and observations from opposing fans.

To be sure, Skins nation is VERY concerned about Mark Brunell. We all know that if he's slightly hurt, he doesn't throw well. Most of the people on the forum I'm a member of, think we'll win easily. Even though I think we'll win, that won't be the case.

Just some food for thought on the positive side: Joe Gibbs is undefeated against the Vikings in his career. The Redskins have a pretty decent opening day winning streak going on. Clinton Portis WILL play. He is already ahead of schedule on rehab and had the last preseason game been a real game, he would have already played. Last time Joe Gibbs was 0-4 in the preseason, the Skins won the Super Bowl.

I see some of your members mention that no team should get walloped like the Skins did against the Patriots. I just want to remind you of the third game the Colts played in preseason last year as well where they got shallacked by the Bengals.

To give credit where it's due, the Vikings has one of the better left line sides in the game. That is a concerning factor to me. That's really where the concern ends. No matter what kind of fan you are, Chester Taylor hasn't really lit up the world and losing Koren Robinson, the team's best receiving threat can only hurt.

While I don't think it will be a blowout my any means,
I think the Vikings would have to play their VERY best game and the Skins play at 50% or worse for the Vikes to pull out a win. I know it's "Any given Sunday," but only losing one home game last year AND the team only improving in the offseason has to have you concerned just a wee bit.

This happens alot we fans of the vikings
are confident we will win while the redskins fans say that they will.But here is what insight i have about this situations..ready?Viking fans wear horns.. redskins fan wear dresses
with pig noses!!nuff said?i think so!

spikecyrus
09-05-2006, 02:27 PM
HAH! dresses. very funny. any word on portis?

BloodyHorns82
09-05-2006, 03:19 PM
To be honest, I kind of have this bitter feeling in my stomach that says we are going to lose this game.
But thats OK with me, because things can only go up from here....with the exception of Redskins blowout of course.
It should be close.
I think Gibbs record against the Vikings can be thrown out at this point as we have a completely different team now with a completely different playing style.
Portis has to be a concern once he steps onto the field.
I think we need to see a running game from our offense before we can chalk up a win for the Vikes.
I can't wait for Monday night!

Prophet
09-05-2006, 03:24 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

I think Gibbs record against the Vikings can be thrown out at this point as we have a completely different team now with a completely different playing style...

;D, I think it's safe to assume that Gibbs also had a different team when he owned the Vikings...wasn't Brad Johnson still in high school the last time Gibbs played the Vikings?

Del Rio
09-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Hell as soon as Gibbs traded in Gods sport (Football) for the trailer park (NASCAR) he lost all his magic.

marcosMN
09-05-2006, 03:32 PM
"Del" wrote:

Hell as soon as Gibbs traded in Gods sport (Football) for the trailer park (NASCAR) he lost all his magic.

Bahaha... I couldn't agree more, Del.

BloodyHorns82
09-05-2006, 03:44 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

I think Gibbs record against the Vikings can be thrown out at this point as we have a completely different team now with a completely different playing style...

;D, I think it's safe to assume that Gibbs also had a different team when he owned the Vikings...wasn't Brad Johnson still in high school the last time Gibbs played the Vikings?

Actually I believe it was 2004 when we lost to Gibbs and Co.
and still made it into the playoffs to beat the piss out of GB.
Only to get owned again by the eagles.

Prophet
09-05-2006, 03:49 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:

Actually I believe it was 2004 when we lost to Gibbs and Co.
and still made it into the playoffs to beat the piss out of GB.
Only to get owned again by the eagles.

Ok, it was more recently.
I was having flashbacks to Gibbs' glory days.
NASCAR probably did fry his brain, that's why I don't watch it...don't have much left to lose.

whackthepack
09-05-2006, 04:07 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Vikings 17 SKins 14

Wow I am surprised that you are picking the Vikings?

As far as the yardage that was in 5 quarters of football, and most of the yardage came in the 4th quarter and in OT, we were playing our 3rd stringers and a lot of those players are no longer even with the team.
Dallas kept Romo their second string QB and a lot of their 2nd string O-line in the game for most of the regulation and a lot of the OT because Parcels is in love with Romo!

A lot of people think that Bledsoe may start the season, but Romo will finish it.

Here are the stats for the 1st half:

Score
Vikings
Dallas

Offensive yardage total
Dallas: 162 yards
Vikings:
157 yards

Possession time
Dallas:

15:35
Vikings:

14:25

I say our 1st string D did pretty well!

Thermodyne
09-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Who knows how it will turn out?
I don’t, but I think I’ll take the skins and give the points for the following reasons.
The Redskins are sleepers, they showed nothing during the preseason.
They are the same team that beat Tampa in the Playoffs, but they did that with one reciever, now they have 4! Saunders teams rarely win in the preseason.
The Redskin starting defense was on the field as a unit for 0 plays in preseason.
It was pure vanilla.
The offence was the same.
About 14 plays a game used over and over with almost no shifts or motion.
Some of the players are now talking about three wide being the most used set at practice, I didn’t see any of that in their preseason games.
If they come out in three and four wide forcing us to cover and taking us out of 8 in the box, we are in for a long day.
The defense is almost the same unit that held Tampa to chump change in the playoffs, do you really think we can put up a lot of points on them.
I see it 24-17 Washington, and it could be a blow out if we can’t cover their third and fourth receivers, who could start for quite a few teams by the way.

Thermodyne
09-05-2006, 06:12 PM
I was just looking at their stuff from last year, and they have a tight end who could be a wide out.
Didn't see him much during the preseason.
That means that they could have five legitimate receivers on the field at once.
That a lot of single coverage anyway you match up.
I think I might want to change my score a little.
31-17 Washington.
Just way to many weapons on that team.

FuadFan
09-05-2006, 06:32 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

Who knows how it will turn out?
I don’t, but I think I’ll take the skins and give the points for the following reasons.
The Redskins are sleepers, they showed nothing during the preseason.
They are the same team that beat Tampa in the Playoffs, but they did that with one reciever, now they have 4! Saunders teams rarely win in the preseason.
The Redskin starting defense was on the field as a unit for 0 plays in preseason.
It was pure vanilla.
The offence was the same.
About 14 plays a game used over and over with almost no shifts or motion.
Some of the players are now talking about three wide being the most used set at practice, I didn’t see any of that in their preseason games.
If they come out in three and four wide forcing us to cover and taking us out of 8 in the box, we are in for a long day.
The defense is almost the same unit that held Tampa to chump change in the playoffs, do you really think we can put up a lot of points on them.
I see it 24-17 Washington, and it could be a blow out if we can’t cover their third and fourth receivers, who could start for quite a few teams by the way.

Who isn't vanilla in the preseason and Childress already knows most of what to expect from your defese anyway having seen it many times. Your offense does have good weapons in Moss and Cooley along with a great line to give our defensive line a good test but Portis may not play and I'm not as high on your other two WRs or your backup RBs as you may be. We can beat you in Washington and it will be a great game to open Monday night on with the Vikings winning a close one 17-16.

Prophet
09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
...and there aren't any offensive receiving threats for the Vikings?
Come on.
Chester Taylor, Travis Taylor, Troy Williamson, Billy-boy McMullen, Todd Pussyton, Jermaine Wiggins, Jim Kleinsasser, Richard Owens, and Mewelde Moore, can all catch the ball.
The best part about it is that many think they're chumps, they are more than serviceable.
More importantly, Brad Johnson can get the ball off quickly and is not prone to mistakes.
The running game isn't as bad as the pundits would like you to believe.
The team averaged 95 yds on the ground during preseason (meaningless stat, but it's an overlooked stat).
The ball will be spread out to so many receivers that it will make you dizzy watching the game.
The Vikings O-line will make their debut with some bells and whistle added into the mix.
The Vikings D will make Brunell wish he was home watching the game on TV and Snyder wish he was home counting his money.

I don't expect a high scoring affair from either team in reality.
I would be surprised if the total points scored is over 35,
I wouldn't even be surprised if the pt total is under 30.

Formo
09-05-2006, 07:36 PM
I like Prophet's last post..

I'm with ya, neither team should score more than 17 points individually.

6 more days!!

Marrdro
09-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Posted Sep 6, 2006

The Washington Redskins were 0-4 in the preseason and outscored badly. Even their starters were losing their battles. But does their poor preseason mean anything as they prepare for the Vikings and the opening week of Monday Night Football?

Joe Gibbs shouldn’t care that his Redskins were winless in the preseason. However, the Hall of Fame coach has to be worried that his starters were outscored 44-0 in the first three weeks.

“What it comes down to is that our players have to say to themselves, just as I have to say to myself: What can I do to help the football team?” Gibbs said the day after the Redskins were drubbed 41-0 at New England in the usually most indicative third preseason game. “‘Am I where I was last year — conditioning-wise, playing-wise, mentally — at this time?’“

Last year at this time, the Redskins were 1-2 in preseason but coming off a victory over eventual Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh. Washington went on to a 10-6 season and made the playoffs for the first time in six years.

But these Redskins are leaving observers wondering if this is yet another Washington team — (remember the signings of Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith in 2000, the arrival of the Steve Spurrier in 2002 and the return of Gibbs in 2004?) — that’s all hype, no results.

Star running back Clinton Portis, No. 1 cornerback Shawn Springs, top defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin and sacks leader Phillip Daniels are all hurt. New receivers Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El have combined for five catches in the supposedly recharged offense of new associate head coach Al Saunders. New defensive end Andre Carter has been a non-factor and new safety Adam Archuleta has spent most of his time chasing ball-carriers down from behind.

Mark Brunell is the second-lowest rated quarterback among the NFL’s 32 starters and backups Todd Collins and Jason Campbell haven’t played well either. Special teams has had one of its two field-goal attempts blocked, allowed a kickoff return touchdown and has the third-worst net punting average. Needless to say, August in Washington wasn’t pretty.

Even the defense that dominated the past two years has allowed the most points, the second-most rushing yards and the fourth-most yards in the NFL this preseason.

“You don’t like some of those things that go on, but in those things are correctable errors,” said assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams, whose starters gave up 13 plays of at least 10 yards (three of 35 yards or more) to the Patriots. “It’s never as bad as it seems. It’s never as good as it seems.”

The offense has generated the fewest points, second-fewest rushing yards, third-fewest first downs and fifth-fewest yards.

“We can’t get too bent out of shape about it,” Randle El said. “I’m not sure (that) we haven’t clicked because we’ve made some plays. It’s one (missed) block here, one dropped pass here, one overthrow here. It’s the preseason. We’ll get it going when the time is right.”

Perhaps. Randle El played on a Steelers team whose starters didn’t reach the end zone last summer but went on to win the Super Bowl. And Gibbs has won Super Bowls after 0-4 (1982) and 1-3 (1991) preseasons.

“We’ve been in messes before and we understand how to get out of them,” said Gibbs, whose team won its last five games of 2005 to go from near-elimination to NFC wild card. “When you go through tough times, it’s always interesting to see how you get out of it.”

The good news is that the injured starters should all be back by mid-September at the latest, that second-round linebacker Rocky McIntosh should be starting soon enough, that Saunders has shown virtually none of his complex offense and most important, that no one remembers the preseason if the regular season turns out differently.

“I would rather go through it now than go through it later,” Pro Bowl receiver Santana Moss said.

COACHING: Joe Gibbs, 15th year, 15th with Redskins (157-82).

REMEMBERING: 2005 record: 10-6 (2nd in NFC East); lost in divisional round game at Seahawks, 20-10.

NOTES

Running backs coach Earnest Byner isn’t worried that his players didn’t give happy talk answers the day of the trade with Atlanta for big back T.J. Duckett on Aug. 23. Quite the opposite.

“If they didn’t care, if they weren’t shocked, then we have the wrong type of people,” Byner said. “You can understand how the guys feel. We had started to get somewhat of a (rotation) going. They had gotten their minds set on some of the things they wanted to achieve. There’s nothing wrong with that. If they don’t, then we have the wrong type of guys.”

Although Duckett practiced for the first time on Aug. 24, he was given the ball four times just two days later at New England.

“I can’t say it’s going to be an easy battle,” Duckett said. “It’s going to be hard (catching up). I’m going to have to learn and I’m going to make some mistakes. But I’m out here working to get better.”

Ladell Betts, who figures to drop from the No. 2 back to No. 3 when starter Clinton Portis returns from a partially dislocated left shoulder and Duckett becomes fully acclimated, even gave the new man some pointers in practice.

“T.J. jumped right in the huddle in the walkthrough, started slapping fives and broke the ice,” Byner said. “He’s going to fit right in. The reality is these guys will take T.J. in. They will do some things to try to help him and they’ll compete.”

Offensive line coach Joe Bugel is raving again about left guard Derrick Dockery, who lost weight during the offseason.

“Losing those 25 pounds, he’s got his balance, he’s not on the ground and he runs a lot quicker,” he said. “It was a blessing in disguise. He worked out in Atlanta with some different things and got himself into tip-top shape. He’s the real deal right now.”

Dockery took boxing lessons to improve his technique and Bugel has noticed the difference.

“The hands are the most important thing,” Bugel said. “If you’ve got strong hands, you can block.”

BY THE NUMBERS: 6 — The Redskins can take heart from history. Gibbs’ teams are usually better off not winning in August. The Redskins followed all six of Gibbs’ previous .500 or worse preseasons with a postseason appearance, including Super Bowl titles in 1982, 1987 and 1991. Washington made the playoffs just three times following Gibbs’ eight winning preseasons. So if history holds, the team that looks so shaky in August will be playing in January.

QUOTE TO NOTE: “This is a reality check. We’ve got to get it fixed quick. It’ll be an uphill battle. We had a good, tough week of practice. I thought we were ready to play. It’s kind of shocking. Even if we are vanilla ... when we run the ball inside, we should be able to get four yards. We need to stop believing what we read in the newspapers and just play ball.” — Center Casey Rabach after the Redskins were crushed 41-0 by the Patriots on Aug

Prophet
09-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the article, do you have a link?

whackthepack
09-07-2006, 12:29 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

I was just looking at their stuff from last year, and they have a tight end who could be a wide out.
Didn't see him much during the preseason.
That means that they could have five legitimate receivers on the field at once.
That a lot of single coverage anyway you match up.
I think I might want to change my score a little.
31-17 Washington.
Just way to many weapons on that team.

I would have to say a Redskin fan.
He joined today and his only posts were about how the Redskins are a better team, maybe trolling a little Thermodyne?

PurplePeopleEaters
09-07-2006, 12:38 AM
Shawn Springs and Clinton Portis will both likely be out for this game. Those are two huge pieces of their offense and defense respectively. I've said it once and I'll say it again, the loss of Portis makes their offense nothing more than mediocre.

vikingbill50
09-07-2006, 12:54 AM
i agree and once again will say that it looks like they will be relying more and more on brunnell and that will be end of story

cajunvike
09-07-2006, 01:03 AM
The Skins are going down!!!!

TheKnuck
09-07-2006, 01:34 AM
my .02, our defense is gonna wipe the floor with em and impress the hell out of the league.
I will be piggin out on the couch eating wings and drinking beer dogs while my 3-month old son is ridin shotgun watching his first Vikings game.
I can't wait.
;D

shawn9876uss
09-07-2006, 02:23 AM
I understand the the Skins fans are optimistic, but in all reality, if the vikes played like the skins did in the preseason, I would be scared sh**less.
I mean really, just like everyone else, I don't put stock in preseason games, but when you play like that, that is going to say something for the confidence in the locker room.

Purple Herring
09-07-2006, 04:12 AM
It's always dangerous to read to much in to pre-season. The Redskins have had a good defence for the past couple of years. I am not expecting us to win this game, but I am expecting us to compete.

I will be DELIGHTED if we do win, and it will indicate to me that coach has done a better job than I had believed at this stage.

Prophet
09-07-2006, 07:59 AM
Vikings-Redskins Preview (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5941372)
Associated Press
7 September 2006

The Washington Redskins never had to worry about Clinton Portis staying on the field last season. The Minnesota Vikings, meanwhile, are becoming adept at handling issues off the field.

Portis may miss his first game in two years when the Redskins open the season against a revamped Vikings team at FedEx Field on Monday night.
Washington entered training camp riding high after last year's playoff run and another impressive offseason acquiring coaches and players. The 2006 Redskins could be much better, but Portis' shoulder injury is a concern.

Portis, who has missed just one game in two seasons with the Redskins, partially dislocated his shoulder in the preseason opener against Cincinnati.

"He is still day to day," Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said. "He is doing a real good job with it and will continue to expand what he is doing. It's still day to day, though. He feels like he is making good progress."

Portis set a franchise record with 1,516 yards last season. If he can't play, Ladell Betts will get the start.

"Just when you think you're ready to take on the world," Washington defensive tackle Joe Salave'a said, "it's always a humbling experience to be grounded and lose."

Gibbs' guidance helped the Redskins rally from 5-6 to 10-6 and a win over Tampa Bay in the first round of the playoffs. He will be a key influence again with Portis hurt and the team learning a new offense.

Quarterback Mark Brunell had one of his best seasons last year, but he's about to turn 36 and has been slowed by various injuries the last two seasons. New receivers Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El join Santana Moss and Chris Cooley to present a talented array of options when Brunell goes back to pass, but all are still learning the complex offense designed by Al Saunders, who was hired from Kansas City in the offseason.

Gibbs was also smart enough to realize the responsibilities of coach and team president were wearing him thin, so he hired Saunders, who piled up the points and yards with the Chiefs.

"I feel much more comfortable than I did the first year," Gibbs said. "We can build a lot on that. You have a real good feeling about what kind of individuals you have on the team. We are going to lean on them. Certainly, for us, you sink or swim with your players. I feel good about this group."

On defense, there are many underrated standouts, including linemen Cornelius Griffin and Phillip Daniels and linebacker Marcus Washington. New arrival Andre Carter can rush the quarterback and safety Sean Taylor leads the defensive backfield.

"Anything short of going all the way, honestly, would be a disappointment," Brunell said.

Minnesota fired coach Mike Tice in the offseason and hired Brad Childress to replace him and change the team culture. Tice's tenure was filled with non-football problems, including arrests for assault, scalped Super Bowl tickets and the "Love Boat" party.

Twice since training camp began, Childress has been forced to answer questions about off-the-field trouble involving his players, most notably receiver Koren Robinson's charges on fleeing police and drunken driving. Robinson, facing a possible season-long suspension for a third violation of the league's substance abuse policy, was cut.

Then, starting safety Dwight Smith was cited for indecent conduct with a woman last weekend in a stairwell outside a downtown Minneapolis nightclub.

"Just because you are here for six months or eight months, that culture does not change immediately," Childress said. "But that is certainly the goal, and we are not going to stop trying to get that right."

The Vikings went 9-7 last year and barely missed the playoffs, but there were several deficiencies that needed to be addressed. All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson, running back Chester Taylor, kicker Ryan Longwell, fullback Tony Richardson, and linebacker Ben Leber are the notable free-agent signings.

A quick-strike offense that led the league in total yards in 2003 and excelled again in 2004 was led by Daunte Culpepper, who was traded to Miami after suffering a devastating knee injury last season.

Johnson, the steady, soon-to-be-38-year-old, is the quarterback of a low-risk offense. On the other side, 34-year-old defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin has brought the Cover 2 zone scheme with him from Tampa Bay. The defense made significant improvements during last season's 7-2 finish and was impressive this preseason.

The defensive line features three first-round draft picks and a defensive tackle, Pat Williams, coming off a career season. Smith and Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper join cornerbacks Antoine Winfield and Fred Smoot to form an experienced secondary that should help relieve pressure on a linebacking corps that has been a weakness for years in Minnesota.

"I think we could really catch a lot of people by surprise," Smoot said. "They really don't know what to expect from us."

The Redskins defeated the Vikings 21-18 at home on Jan. 2, 2005, in the last meeting between the teams.

Marrdro
09-07-2006, 10:04 AM
"TheKnuck" wrote:

my .02, our defense is gonna wipe the floor with em and impress the hell out of the league.
I will be piggin out on the couch eating wings and drinking beer dogs while my 3-month old son is ridin shotgun watching his first Vikings game.
I can't wait.

;D

I agree on the defense impressing/suprising people.
Additionally, I think our offense is gonna turn some heads also.
Bet we see at least on quick strike from Brad to T. Will just and alot of dumps to Wiggins/C. Taylor up the middle.

My son will get to see his first game live.
Driving up from Newport News VA with him and the wife to see the game.

Marrdro
09-07-2006, 10:07 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Thanks for the article, do you have a link?

Pulled it from http://redskins.scout.com/.

cajunvike
09-07-2006, 10:51 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"TheKnuck" wrote:

I can't wait.

;D

Bet we see at least on quick strike from Brad to T. Will just and alot of dumps to Wiggins/C. Taylor up the middle.

Make sure that you join us for our big tailgate party...it is almost a definite that we will be receiving a pre-game visit from Zygi Wilf himself...so the more purple that we have there, the better!

Here is the link to the fan group that has organized the tailgate and potential meeting with Wilf so that you can find out where we will be:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/novavikes/

Marrdro
09-07-2006, 11:00 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"TheKnuck" wrote:

I can't wait.

;D

Make sure that you join us for our big tailgate party...it is almost a definite that we will be receiving a pre-game visit from Zygi Wilf himself...so the more purple that we have there, the better!

Here is the link to the fan group that has organized the tailgate and potential meeting with Wilf so that you can find out where we will be:

Will do.
Finally had someone answer back.
I have been posting and posting all over this site trying to find you guys/gals.

We will be easy to spot (Purple hats and Jersey's
;D

cajunvike
09-07-2006, 03:18 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"TheKnuck" wrote:

I can't wait.

;D

Will do.
Finally had someone answer back.
I have been posting and posting all over this site trying to find you guys/gals.

We will be easy to spot (Purple hats and Jersey's
;D

Go to the Vikes-Skins Tailgate thread and add your name and size of your party to the list (just copy, add and paste).

We need to get some sort of running total so that I can tell Al at NOVA Vikes how many people we have coming...he is counting on 50-100 total being at our tailgate!
Plus Zygi WILF is planning on making a guest apperance!!!
It's gonna rock!!!!

thevikingfan
09-07-2006, 03:46 PM
if ziggi does show up make sure u guys write down what he says and then post it here =)!

singersp
09-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Preview of Vikings-Skins MNF matchup (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/09/vikings-preview-redskins080906.html)

By Eric Krupka on September 8, 2006 12:54 AM

On Monday, rookie head coach Brad Childress will lead his Minnesota Vikings into familiar territory, when they battle the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field.

While it will be his first regular-season game as a head coach, Childress served as the offensive coordinator for the Skins' NFC East rival, the Philadelphia Eagles , from 1999-2005.

Unfortunately for Childress, he has the unfortunate task of debuting against arguably the top head coach in football, Washington's Joe Gibbs.

In any event, the 2006 Vikings will look much different than the 2005 version. And I don't just mean in appearance -- yes, the jerseys are different, but no longer will there be the circus act that surrounded the Mike Tice era. Order has been restored, quarterback Daunte Culpepper is gone, Brad Johnson is starting, and the offensive and defensive schemes are new. Of course, just about everyone knows that by now.

So, besides the new look and attitude, Monday provides the opportunity to finally put the over-exaggerated and needless talk of all the problems in the past. Please, Tony, Tony, Tony (Kornheiser), if you're reading, do not remind viewers about the scandals of the Tice-led Vikings. Those days are in the past.

Many fellow media pundits are already doubt this year's Vikings, citing anything and everything from the Chicago Bears ' defense, to Childress being a first-time head coach, to the prevailing idea that the offense isn't going to be able to score.

Finally, Monday night, the Vikings have the chance to put it to rest. They can bury the past, and trudge on with the future.

The game should be a fairly low-scoring contest, but not because the offenses aren't good. Rather, the defenses of both teams should be excellent and both offenses are of the ball-control-type. If you like hard-hitting, smash- mouth football, this is certainly the game for you.

Key matchups:

Vikings DE Kenechi Udeze vs. Redskins RT Jon Jansen
Vikings DE Erasmus James vs. Redskins LT Chris Samuels

-Both tackles are considered to be elite. In fact, the duo of Jansen and Samuels, when healthy, may be the best in the NFL. James and Udeze are rising talents that are trying to make a name for themselves. The former first-round picks both focus on rushing the passer. If the two can fluster veteran quarterback Mark Brunell, it could spell disaster for the Redskins' offense.

Injury Reports:

Minnesota: CB Fred Smoot is questionable with a rib injury; RB Mewelde Moore is questionable with a knee. However, both are expected to play.

Washington: DE Renaldo Wynn is probably with an ankle injury; RB Clinton Portis, who has a hurt shoulder, is questionable. CB Shawn Springs, with an injury to his abdomen, is doubtful.

Game info:

Minnesota Vikings (0-0) at Washington Redskins (0-0).

Where: FedEx Field, Landover, Md.

When: 7:00 p.m. EST, Monday, Sept. 11, 2006.

Television: ESPN.

Weather Forecast: 77 degrees, 30 percent chance of rain.

Line: Washington is favored by 4.5.

Prediction: Minnesota 17, Washington 13.

Get more Minnesota Vikings coverage at RealFootball365.com

NordicNed
09-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Another nice positive read..

Line: Washington is favored by 4.5.

Even the odds makers in Vegas are smelling something cooking in the Vikings Locker Room...

I believe the spread was opened at Skins -6.....Must be some serious money being put down on the Vikes out there.... ;D

singersp
09-08-2006, 08:15 AM
September 8, 2006

Redskins brace for Smoot's arrival (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060908/SPORTS02/609080363)
Outspoken former MSU star to return as member of Vikings

The Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, MINN. — The Washington Redskins know Fred Smoot is coming.

He may be far out of sight, hundreds of miles away in Minnesota, but, oh, do they know it. They can already hear him.

Fullback Mike Sellers can remember only one quiet day in the four years Smoot was in Washington.

"The day he left," Sellers said. "Birds chirping and everything."

Smoot, the motor-mouthed cornerback out of Mississippi State, has long been known for enlivening a locker room. His constant chatter is often hilarious and profane, prompting laughter and debate from all corners.

"He'll say something stupid," Redskins cornerback Shawn Springs said. "Tell him we've still got the 'You're Nothin' Award' around here."

The Redskins' defense has an award dubbed the "Fred 'Silky Johnson' Smoot Award," also known as the "You're Nothin' Award," that is given weekly to a defensive player who makes a big impact. Smoot will often sarcastically shout to a teammate, "You're nothin'!" after a big play.

The Heisman-like trophy rests in Sellers' locker this week because safety Curry Burns was cut after earning it in the last preseason game.

When the Vikings meet the Redskins in Washington on Monday night, it will mark Smoot's return to FedEx Field since signing with Minnesota as a free agent in 2005. As usual, he plans on making plenty of noise upon his return.

"Any time you go back to your old stomping grounds, you want to leave an impression on what they're missing out on," Smoot said. "It's intense to me, believe me. I'm going back to FedEx. After playing there for four years, you know, you want to go back and leave a sour taste in their mouth."

After a forgettable 2005 season in purple, including being charged in the infamous "Love Boat" scandal and being torched by Steve Smith in a loss to the Panthers, Smoot knows a little something about bitter tastes.

He came to camp 15 pounds heavier than last season, hoping the added bulk would help him stay healthy over the rigorous 16-game season. But he injured his ribs against Baltimore in the preseason and is listed as questionable for the game.

"I wouldn't be out here practicing if I wasn't going to play," Smoot said.

singersp
09-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Childress, new Vikings to debut Monday (http://www.kare11.com/sports/sports_article.aspx?storyid=134099)

singersp
09-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Friday, September 08, 2006

Vikings, Redskins Eager to Begin Regular Season (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/nflnews.asp?articleID=117855)

(Sports Network) - Two teams looking to alleviate the sting of a troubling preseason will meet at FedEx Field on Monday night, as the Washington Redskins play host to the Minnesota Vikings in the regular season opener for both clubs.

The Redskins finished the 2006 preseason at 0-4, dropping their quartet of contests by a composite score of 104-27. Washington's first-team offense, now under the tutelage of first-year coordinator Al Saunders, failed to score a single point in the four games, a situation that cast a bright spotlight on both Saunders and veteran quarterback Mark Brunell. Also at issue was the running game, which lost running back Clinton Portis to a partially separated left shoulder early in the first outing and never hit its stride thereafter.

As Skins head coach Joe Gibbs is by now well aware, only one team - his 1982 Washington Redskins - has won the Super Bowl after going winless in the preseason. The 2006 edition of the team, which is trying to build on last year's trip to the NFC Divisional Playoffs, hopes that type of history can repeat itself.

The Vikings didn't finish winless in the preseason, but first-year Minnesota head coach Brad Childress certainly encountered his share of problems during the team's warm-up period.

Childress, formerly the offensive coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles, lost first-round draft pick and linebacker Chad Greenway (Iowa) to a season- ending knee injury early in the preseason. Then, Childress was forced to jettison No. 1 receiver and 2005 Pro Bowler Koren Robinson, after Robinson was cited for driving under the influence and fleeing police on August 15th.

The first-year head coach's biggest challenge yet will come on the field Monday night, when he makes his debut before more than 90,000 rabid fans in suburban D.C.

SERIES HISTORY

Washington has a 7-5 lead in the all-time regular season series with Minnesota, including a 21-18 home win when the two teams last met, in Week 17 of the 2004 season. The Vikings had won the two previous meetings, in 1993 at R.F.K. Stadium, and in 1998 at the Metrodome.

In addition to their regular season edge, the Redskins have a 3-2 advantage in the all-time postseason series. The Vikings knocked Washington out of the NFC playoffs in 1973 and 1976, and the Redskins earned postseason wins over Minnesota in 1982, 1987, and 1992. The most memorable matchup between the teams is the 1987 NFC Championship, won by Washington, 17-10, en route to a Super Bowl title.

Gibbs is a perfect 8-0 against the Vikings during his career, including playoffs, and is 4-0 against Minnesota in Redskin home games. Childress will be meting both Gibbs and the Redskins for the first time as a head coach.

VIKINGS OFFENSE VS. REDSKINS DEFENSE

Making a return to familiar surroundings will be Minnesota quarterback Brad Johnson (1885 passing yards, 12 TD, 4 INT), who started 27 games with the Redskins in 1999-2000. Last season, Johnson resurrected his career, starting nine games for the Vikings and leading the team into the playoff hunt after a dismal start presided over by Daunte Culpepper. Just two days shy of his 38th birthday as Monday night's showdown begins, Johnson is the league's oldest starting quarterback. Among the signal-caller's targets on Monday will be holdover receivers Travis Taylor (50 receptions, 4 TD), Marcus Robinson (31 receptions, 5 TD), and Troy Williamson (24 receptions, 2 TD), along with trusty tight end Jermaine Wiggins (69 receptions, 1 TD). Recently-acquired ex- Eagle Todd Pinkston, who missed all of last season with a torn Achilles, should also see some time against the Redskins. Protecting Johnson will be the job of a Minnesota line that allowed a bloated 54 sacks last season, but has made improvements with the return of Pro Bowl center Matt Birk and the addition of ex-Seahawks All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson. Birk missed all of last season following hip surgery.

Johnson will have life slightly easier on Monday if the Redskins take the field without defensive end Renaldo Wynn (30 tackles) and cornerback Shawn Springs (50 tackles, 1 INT), who are considered questionable with ankle and abdominal injuries, respectively. Both players opened 15 games for Gregg Williams' defense a year ago. Regardless of Wynn's status, the Washington pass rush will be led by holdover Phillip Daniels (8 sacks), the team's sack leader in 2005, and ex-49er Andre Carter (4 sacks with San Francisco), the former first-round draft choice who accumulated 30 sacks in five seasons by the Bay. Without Springs, the Redskins could turn to another ex-Niners first-rounder, Mike Rumph (12 tackles with San Francisco), to start at corner opposite 2005 first-round selection Carlos Rogers (2 INT). Rumph would be making his formal return to the field after missing the final 13 games of '05 with a broken foot. Safeties Sean Taylor (70 tackles, 2 INT) and Adam Archuleta (69 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 INT with St. Louis) round out the secondary, with Archuleta making his Redskins debut after five years with the Rams.

Minnesota has a new face in the backfield, as ex-Raven Chester Taylor (487 rushing yards, 41 receptions, 1 TD with Baltimore) will make his formal Vikings debut on Monday night. Taylor amassed 1,599 rushing yards and caught 105 passes as Jamal Lewis' backup for four years with the Ravens (2002-2005), and the Toledo product will now get the chance to both run his own show and become the reliable back Minnesota has lacked since Robert Smith's retirement following the 2000 season. Last year, the Vikings finished a distant 27th in NFL rushing offense. Spelling Taylor on Monday will be Ciatrick Fason (62 rushing yards, 4 TD), who was used mainly as a short-yardage back during his rookie season of 2005.

The Redskins were a solid 13th in the league against the run last season, and their core of '05 run-stoppers returns largely intact. The tone-setters are defensive tackles Cornelius Griffin (35 tackles, 4 sacks) and Joe Salave'a (31 tackles), who started a total of 25 games a season ago. Behind them is a classy linebacking corps including Lemar Marshall (98 tackles, 4 INT, 2 sacks) in the middle, Marcus Washington (93 tackles, 7.5 sacks) on the strong side, and Warrick Holdman (23 tackles) the weak. Marshall and Washington were 1-2 on the team in stops last season, and Marshall was the Redskin leader in INTs. Holdman, who takes over for departed former Pro Bowler LaVar Arrington, is the only relatively new face, though he did start seven games with the Skins last season. Second-round draft pick Rocky McIntosh (Miami (FL)) figures to see time on the weak side as well.

REDSKINS OFFENSE VS. VIKINGS DEFENSE

The biggest concern for the Redskins and their legion of supporters heading into Monday's game is the status of Portis, who partially separated his left shoulder in a preseason loss to the Bengals on Aug. 13th. Portis' public remarks on Thursday seemed to indicate that the running back was doubtful for Monday, though he continued to be listed as questionable on the official injury report. Without the three-time 1,500-yard rusher, the Redskins would turn to one of three backs - Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, and/or T.J. Duckett - to do the running. Betts (338 rushing yards, 10 receptions, 2 TD) and Cartwright (199 rushing yards, 2 TD) are both holdovers, and both have started contests in the Washington backfield. Duckett (380 rushing yards, 8 TD with Atlanta), meanwhile, was acquired on Aug. 23rd in a three-way trade also involving ex-Broncos wide receiver Ashley Lelie. Duckett, the former first- round pick out of Michigan State, amassed 2,175 yards and 31 touchdowns in four years with the Falcons (2002-2005)

Looking to stop Portis or whoever does the running for Washington on Monday night will be a Vikings defense that finished 19th in the league against the rush a year ago. The run-stopping effort will begin on the interior line, where defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin boasts two of the top tackles in the business in Pat Williams (66 tackles, 1.5 sacks) and Kevin Williams (42 tackles, 4 sacks). The latter Williams, who saw his production decline amid injury problems in 2005 after a Pro Bowl performance the year before, will look to regain his form in '06. The linemen will look to set the team's linebacking corps - Napoleon Harris (25 tackles, 1 sack) in the middle, E.J. Henderson (75 tackles, 1 sack) on the weak side, and Ben Leber (22 tackles, 2 sacks with San Diego) on the strong side - up for success. Harris, who started just three games last year after coming over in the Randy Moss deal prior to 2005, is primed for a larger role. Leber is the new face, having started 52 games in four years with the Chargers before losing the last seven games of 2005 to a foot injury.

Portis' potential absence will place even more pressure on Brunell and the passing game, which struggled mightily in the preseason. Brunell (3050 passing yards, 23 TD, 10 INT) completed just 16-of-35 passes for 174 yards with an interception in '06 warm-up action, compiling a miserable 49.0 QB rating. The performance was a surprise for the veteran quarterback, who underwent a renaissance in 2005 with a single-season career best for touchdown passes. The offseason upgrade of the receiving corps, which added Brandon Lloyd (48 receptions, 5 TD with the 49ers) and Antwaan Randle El (35 receptions, 1 TD with the Steelers) to an existing group including '05 Pro Bowler Santana Moss (84 receptions, 9 TD) and tight end Chris Cooley (71 receptions, 7 TD), was also seen as a mark in the offense's favor. Saunders will be seeking some crisper play from his offensive principles on Monday, and will need continued protection from a line that allowed a modest 31 sacks a year ago.

Minnesota continues to boast one of the biggest-name secondary units in the NFL, albeit one that failed to live up to its reputation a year ago. The Vikings were just 22nd against the pass in 2005. Looking for more consistency will be holdover corners Antoine Winfield (4 INT) and Fred Smoot (2 INT), as well as safety Darren Sharper (51 tackles, 9 INT). Smoot makes his return to FedEx Field after starting 59 games as a Redskin from 2001 through 2004, prior to his free agent defection to the Vikings. Sharper, who led the NFC in interceptions last season, slides over to strong safety to make room for Dwight Smith (73 tackles, 2 INT with New Orleans), a 47-game starter for the Bucs and Saints over the past three seasons. Hoping to take some of the pressure off of the secondary will be a young pass rush anchored by recent first-round draft picks and defensive ends Kenechi Udeze (1 sack) and Erasmus James (4 sacks). Udeze, the No. 20 overall pick in the 2004 draft, missed 13 games last season following knee surgery.

OVERALL ANALYSIS

The Steelers' double-digit victory over the Dolphins on Thursday night was exhibit A in establishing the case that preseason results are meaningless. Like the Redskins, the Steelers were 0-4 in preseason play. Washington does have plenty of concerns entering its opener, and the offense might not run up and down the field, but Williams' rock-solid defense will be the unit setting the tone in this one. Minnesota lacks the offensive punch to sustain drives consistently, and the Washington D will take advantage of that fact, set Brunell and company up with some short fields, and fuel the Monday night win.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Redskins 24, Vikings 3

Thermodyne
09-08-2006, 11:42 PM
OK boys and girls, it’s smack talking time and this is it.

The Skins are without Portis and Springs.
So you get them at about 75% to 80% strength.
They are looking past the Vikings because Dallas is lurking next on the schedule.
And lets not forget how awful they looked in preseason----right?
Should be an easy win for the Vikes, right?
I think not.
You guys are toast!
This one will be a win for the Skins and the beginning of an early end for you guys.
You’ll lose this one and several of the next games, leaving you 2-6 or 3-5 for the first half and out of it before Thanksgiving.
And let’s face it, you guys are not going to win, no way no how.
The Redskin defense will have ol Brad tipping his helmet and rubbing his forehead before the first series is over.
And on the other side of the ball, well we all know that Smoot will be trying to cover Moss.
But your next four guys don’t match up that well.
What’s that you say?
Look at what you did at the end of last year.
I did, and just look at the people you beat, that was a real soft second half.
The Vikes were 3-1 at home and 3-1 on the road for the final eight.
Beating the Giants and the power houses of Green Bay, Cleveland, Detroit, St Louis, and a Chicago team that had clinched in the closer.
And getting beat by Pittsburg and (snicker) Baltimore.
With that second half, I wouldn’t be banking on it as being much of an indicator of greatness.
So tune in Monday night and don’t forget it starts early.
I would want you to miss any of the spanking that the skins are going to give them.
;D

LuckyVike
09-08-2006, 11:50 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

They are looking past the Vikings because Dallas is lurking next on the schedule.
I think not.
You guys are toast!
This one will be a win for the Skins and the beginning of an early end for you guys.
You’ll lose this one and several of the next games, leaving you 2-6 or 3-5 for the first half and out of it before Thanksgiving.
The Redskin defense will have ol Brad tipping his helmet and rubbing his forehead before the first series is over.
And on the other side of the ball, well we all know that Smoot will be trying to cover Moss.
What’s that you say?

Beating the Giants and the power houses of Green Bay, Cleveland, Detroit, St Louis, and a Chicago team that had clinched in the closer.
With that second half, I wouldn’t be banking on it as being much of an indicator of greatness.
I would want you to miss any of the spanking that the skins are going to give them.
;D

Wow, I think you just might be a complete jerkoff. ::)

Don't give me all that bullshit about last year.
The Vikes are a completely new team this year.
New RB, pro-bowl guard, new systems, new coaches, and a couple other new players.
Our other Db's don't match up well?
Please explain that one... thanks.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-09-2006, 12:02 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

I think not.
You guys are toast!
What’s that you say?
;D

You seem to be missing the fact that we won 7 of our last 9 last year and still upgraded in the offseason. If we could go 9-7 last year, and we got better, what should make me think we can't go 10-6 or up? Get ready to eat some crow after monday. While skins fans are making fun of brad's old age they're quick to forget that their QB is only 3 years younger than Brad. And believe me.. Brunell is sure going to feel his age after the beating he takes from the Williams brothers and co.

oakmage
09-09-2006, 12:13 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

I think not.
You guys are toast!
What’s that you say?
;D

:o Oh no we lost to the Super Bowl Champains darn that must mean that we were a bad team last year ::) Oh and BTW the Ravens did have a winning record last year so just in case you missed as to what that means it means this They won more games last year then they lost games last year. A 9-7 record while is not a record setter is still better then a 7-9 record.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-09-2006, 12:23 AM
"oakmage" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

I think not.
You guys are toast!
What’s that you say?
;D

:o Oh no we lost to the Super Bowl Champains darn that must mean that we were a bad team last year ::) Oh and BTW the Ravens did have a winning record last year so just in case you missed as to what that means it means this They won more games last year then they lost games last year. A 9-7 record while is not a record setter is still better then a 7-9 record.

What world are you living in bro. They went 6-10...

Ltrey33
09-09-2006, 12:43 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

I think not.
You guys are toast!
What’s that you say?
;D

Do you really think the Lolli-Pop Guild that is the Redskins receiving corps is REALLY going to do much to the Vikings secondary? Why don't they match up well? Is it because our DBs are actually over 5'5? Smoot, Winfield, Dwight Smith and Darren Sharper match up pretty well with ANYBODY.

And why laugh at us losing to Pittsburgh and Baltimore? Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl last year and the only reason we lost to the Ravens is because our meathead coach at the time decided to cover Todd Heap (6'6) with Dovante Edwards (5'10) in a goalline situation.

The Vikings are better than the Redskins as it is, but with no Clinton Portis to run the ball and no Shawn Springs to cover Williamson the ol' skins are gonna be in for a long night. I just hope you come back to take your beating.

vikinggreg
09-09-2006, 12:47 AM
I don't know, I've heard Brunell now can hit his drill target 62%, thats up from last years 60%

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/vikinggreg/Brunellskillsdrill.jpg

Ooops...missed this time though

thevikingfan
09-09-2006, 12:49 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"oakmage" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

I think not.
You guys are toast!
What’s that you say?

;D

What world are you living in bro. They went 6-10...

I think he meant to say vikings went 9-7 not ravens but either way trash talking b4 the game is meaningless but when we beat the redskins you better watch out cuz this entire board will go to the skins fan site to trash talk

HornedHat
09-09-2006, 12:55 AM
I think we'll win. It won't be easy, at their house, even with Springs and Portis out.; but, I watched all the pre-season (yes, it's just the Pre), and I think our D is gonna be a monster. I see this as two good Ds against two suspect offences. I think the diff is QB. I like Brad over Brunell, Campbell and whoever else they have. I also think that our running game will FINALLY show itself. I certainly hope so.

Thermodyne
09-09-2006, 01:00 AM
You got to be kidding me.
Winfield is not exactly a cover corner.
Hunter is average at best.
And Griffin’s a rookie.
Then at safety you have Baker…Who the heck is he?
Smith is really a slow corner.
Sharper is a little old to have to match up on four wide.
And Blue is a rookie.
These guys are not bad, but they are not great either.
Often they will be looking at three wide and a tight end that combined for about 240 catches and 3500 yards last year.
Do you really think your guys can shut them down? Get real. We let Smoot go partly because he got beat too much in one on one.
Who else have you got?
What’s that you say….A rookie head coach….Please….
You say that you have a new back…LOL. How many of your backs have ever rushed for a 1000?
900?
Perhaps 800? Yep Monday night we will see who is doing the jerking.

As to last year let’s just take the last five.
One team went 5-0 the other 3-2.

And if the skins receivers are lollypops, that would make the vikes receivers what?
½ as good?
1/3 as good?
Heck Moss out did you whole receiving corp.

Yes sir, it sure is going to be fun around here Monday night.
You all do show up after a loss?

cajunvike
09-09-2006, 01:50 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

And Griffin’s a rookie.
And Blue is a rookie.
Often they will be looking at three wide and a tight end that combined for about 240 catches and 3500 yards last year.
Do you really think your guys can shut them down? Get real. We let Smoot go partly because he got beat too much in one on one.
Who else have you got?
You say that you have a new back…LOL. How many of your backs have ever rushed for a 1000?
900?

And if the skins receivers are lollypops, that would make the vikes receivers what?
½ as good?
1/3 as good?

We show up every day...will you?
I will actually be at the game (see Tailgate thread for details).
If you are gonna be at the game, drop on by.
Details are in the Tailgate thread.

cajunvike
09-09-2006, 02:29 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

I think not.
You guys are toast!
What’s that you say?

;D

Our D line is gonna PUNISH Brunell...we will be the ones with the short field come Monday!

MaddenVodkaAddict
09-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Minnesota 17
Washington 20

Prophet
09-09-2006, 07:23 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

I like how you built in an excuse in your trash talking post.
How convenient.

I think not.
You guys are toast!

There are many on this site that predicted a 2-3 start going into the season.
No big deal.
The team will surprise many as the season rolls on.
New coaching staff, new offense, and new defense all held nicely together by a team chemistry that hasn't been evident for years.
The Redskins are going into the game as 4.5 pt favorites.
Considering you get 3 pts for being the home team you get 1.5 pts.
It appears that the game will be a defensive battle and turnovers/mistakes will dictate who wins.

That being said, I would much rather have Brad Johnson than Mark Brunnell making the decisions.
The battle of the veteran QBs.
The Vikings D-line will make Brunnell look like a genetic mutant with defective genes from Ryan Leaf, Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, and Daunte Culpepper melded into a pathetic QB that has a perpetual deer in the headlights look with a propensity to lose the ball more often than Snyder whacks off in front of his full-length mirror after a W.

Do your homework.
Smoot is the guy I'm most worried about, not the strength.
Not really true, with Tomlin calling the shots the Redsticks won't have the luxury of looking for a weakness and than exploiting it the whole game.
Unlike our former D-coordinator there will be game-time adjustments.
Brunell will be forced into a one-sided attack and the mutant genes will kick in.
It's almost comical thinking about it, I hope the cameramen get plenty of close-ups of Brunnel's eyes before he hits the turf.

What’s that you say?

I can agree with that, but you forgot something, your analysis isn't even close to correct in its interpretation.
The only thing the end of last year did was to give Zygi Wilf confidence that Brad Johnson can lead the team and gave him confidence that it was time to clean house on the coaching staff.
Nothing more.
If you had a clue about our offseason transactions you would know that the team coming on the field this year has nothing to do with last year's team.
Sure, they are still the Vikings, but they are going back to old-school football, a type of football that hasn't been played in MN since before you were born.

;D

You bet we'll be watching.
I'm also guessing you'll be one of those guys that disappears into the shadows after your warm glass of milk right before you go to bed on Monday night.

singersp
09-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Final roster spots start to firm up for opener (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/663121.html)

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune staff writers
Last update: September 07, 2006 – 9:06 PM

The Vikings' few remaining personnel questions are beginning to clear up as they move into final preparations for Monday night's season opener against Washington.
Barring a change of plans, it appears that first-year player Ronyell Whitaker is the team's No. 3 cornerback. Whitaker will defend the inside slot when the Vikings' defense calls for three cornerbacks on the field. Rookie Cedric Griffin would be the dime back in that scenario.

But if a particular matchup called for Griffin to work in the nickel package instead of Whitaker, Griffin would play on the outside while starter Antoine Winfield moves inside to defend the slot receiver.

Meanwhile, Whitaker is one of three players returning kickoffs, along with receiver Troy Williamson and running back Mewelde Moore. Williamson appears the most likely candidate to return the first kick.

Finally, it would be surprising if recently acquired Brooks Bollinger is not the No. 2 quarterback behind Brad Johnson. Rookie Tarvaris Jackson would play in an emergency.

Coach Brad Childress said he would not make any final decisions until later this week.

"I'm not giving anybody a competitive advantage," Childress said, "nor am I going to show my hand."

Portis skeptical about return

Washington running back Clinton Portis practiced Thursday in full pads for the first time since separating his shoulder Aug. 13. But Portis indicated to reporters in Washington that it's unlikely he'll play this week. Portis termed his shoulder as 75 percent healthy.

If Portis can not play, Ladell Betts would replace him in the starting lineup.

In other injury news, Redskins cornerback Shawn Springs (abdomen) will not play, meaning former Vikings cornerback Kenny Wright will start in his place.

McCombs: Bad trade

In an interview with the Washington Post, former owner Red McCombs said he strongly opposed the Vikings' decision to trade quarterback Daunte Culpepper. The Vikings received a second-round pick from Miami, which they used to draft New Mexico offensive lineman Ryan Cook.

"I think they made a terrible mistake letting Daunte go and getting almost nothing for him," McCombs said. "I think he's one of the top five quarterbacks in the league. He's a good team guy. We brought him along and developed him. I don't think they should have traded him.

"But I do think [new starter] Brad Johnson will do a great job. He'll give them some good leadership."

We're not making this up

The Vikings have limited the public profile of affable personnel director Rick Spielman. But on Thursday, they shoved him in front of the cameras to host a demeaning faux news conference.

Spielman was tapped to introduce the Vikings' "Lucky Charm Fan," part of a marketing agreement with the cereal's manufacturer, General Mills. He presented a fan named Charles Lilicrap, who will accompany the Vikings to Washington and continue as the team's "Lucky Charm" until they lose a game.

Seriously.

Morgan on hold

The agent for receiver Quincy Morgan said Thursday that if his client is going to end up with the Vikings, it probably won't be until next week. Morgan, released by Pittsburgh last weekend in the cutdown to 53 players, worked out for the Vikings on Tuesday.

Because Morgan is in his sixth season, his base salary would be guaranteed if he were on the Vikings' roster this weekend. He also could contribute as a kickoff returner.

"We'd like to see him in Minnesota," agent Brian Overstreet said.

Etc.

• Left tackle Bryant McKinnie said he doesn't expect to have to wear any padding on his left hand in the opener. McKinnie fractured his left middle finger during training camp and wore a club-like device for much of the preseason.

NodakPaul
09-09-2006, 08:56 AM
"I'm not giving anybody a competitive advantage," Childress said, "nor am I going to show my hand."

;D Childress = the anti-Tice

Thermodyne
09-09-2006, 09:46 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Please…It’s not like he was the first choice.
And at his last job the head coach didn’t even let him call plays.
But he is a step up from club Tice.
We had the same problem with Club Turner.
Whay do I say this?
Because ol Brad was the leader of both clubs..er...teams.

crazyB
09-09-2006, 09:50 AM
at last i'll get to see this game as they show monday night football on a local tv station in the UK.
hope it's not the only game i get to see this season as sky sport's in the UK don't seem to show many vikings game's.

8)
;D
;)

Thermodyne
09-09-2006, 09:59 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

How convenient.

I think not.
You guys are toast!

No big deal.
New coaching staff, new offense, and new defense all held nicely together by a team chemistry that hasn't been evident for years.
It appears that the game will be a defensive battle and turnovers/mistakes will dictate who wins.

That being said, I would much rather have Brad Johnson than Mark Brunnell making the decisions.
The Vikings D-line will make Brunnell look like a genetic mutant with defective genes from Ryan Leaf, Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, and Daunte Culpepper melded into a pathetic QB that has a perpetual deer in the headlights look with a propensity to lose the ball more often than Snyder whacks off in front of his full-length mirror after a W.

Do your homework.
Not really true, with Tomlin calling the shots the Redsticks won't have the luxury of looking for a weakness and than exploiting it the whole game.
Brunell will be forced into a one-sided attack and the mutant genes will kick in.
It's almost comical thinking about it, I hope the cameramen get plenty of close-ups of Brunnel's eyes before he hits the turf.

What’s that you say?

I can agree with that, but you forgot something, your analysis isn't even close to correct in its interpretation.
The only thing the end of last year did was to give Zygi Wilf confidence that Brad Johnson can lead the team and gave him confidence that it was time to clean house on the coaching staff.
Nothing more.
If you had a clue about our offseason transactions you would know that the team coming on the field this year has nothing to do with last year's team.
Sure, they are still the Vikings, but they are going back to old-school football, a type of football that hasn't been played in MN since before you were born.

;D

I'm also guessing you'll be one of those guys that disappears into the shadows after your warm glass of milk right before you go to bed on Monday night.

So you are the Prophet.
Did you pick that name because you get advice on picks from the almighty?
Sure, you added some players during the off season.
But only one of them was really a high end acquisition, and he will be lost among the would be linemen around him.
Your best running back has been so-so at best, and that was behind one of the better run lines in the NFL.
You only have one good receiver, and he peaked four or five years ago, been falling off ever since.
Your D will keep you above 500 when the dust settles, but only because of the dead beats you get to play twice a year.
Detroit and Green Bay are 4 wins; you only need to find five more.
Sorry, but Monday just isn’t one of them.

I guess Tuesday we can change your name to Fallen Prophet.

singersp
09-09-2006, 10:37 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

Childress is not anti-Tice. He is not against him. I believe what you are trying to say is that he's the opposite of Tice in those respects. I.E. contra-Tice
;)

GFreeman44
09-09-2006, 12:30 PM
[qoute]

So you are the Prophet.
But only one of them was really a high end acquisition, and he will be lost among the would be linemen around him.
Your best running back has been so-so at best, and that was behind one of the better run lines in the NFL.
You only have one good receiver, and he peaked four or five years ago, been falling off ever since.
Your D will keep you above 500 when the dust settles, but only because of the dead beats you get to play twice a year.

[/quote]

Wow, you are pretty cocky coming to a Vikings forum spitting that kaka.
I live in Marlyand and follow the Redskins very closely.
I think you are forgetting one important thing.
This is the first regular season game for both teams, and right now, I think that we are ahead of you on offense and defense.
Now, come mid-late season, I think the Redskins will be very, very dangerous if Brunell stays healthy, and Portis recovers.
But come Monday night, our Defense is just going to corrupt your offense.
And given enough chances, which is what our D will provide, we will put points on the board.
Watch as our D spends all night in your backfield, shutting down lanes and putting pressure on Brunell.
And look for our O-line to protect B. Johnson and give him time to make plays.

Ltrey33
09-09-2006, 12:58 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

So you are the Prophet.
You only have one good receiver, and he peaked four or five years ago, been falling off ever since. Your D will keep you above 500 when the dust settles, but only because of the dead beats you get to play twice a year.

You are just WRONG on everything you say! The Ravens had one of the best running lines in the NFL? Did you WATCH the Ravens play last year? Their line was horrible! Jamal Lewis only averaged 3.4 yards per carry. At least Chester averaged 4.2 YPC behind that crappy line last year.

You're also WRONG about the offensive line. He will be lost among the would-be lineman around him? Are you smoking dope? Bryant McKinnie at left tackle, Hutch at LG and Birk at Center? They're all pro-bowlers! The right side is untested, but you certainly can't call them bad, because we don't know much about them.

And our best receiver did not peak 4 years ago. Our best receiver (Troy Williamson) i in his second year is developing very quickly in Childress's offense. Travis Taylor caught 50 passes last year in a Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd offense and Jermaine Wiggins is one of the best pass-catching tight ends in the league. They're all going to do much better under Childress's west coast offense.

"Thermodyne" wrote:

And Griffin’s a rookie.
And Blue is a rookie.
Who else have you got?
900?

½ as good?
1/3 as good?

Winfield is a good cover corner, not great, but good, but he's one of the best tackling corners in the league. Will Hunter won't see much time on the field, Cedric Griffen is the nickel back (yes a rookie, but that just means he's unproven) and Baker is NOT our free safety. Dwight Smith is, who you are going to find out, is one of the better safeties out there. And Sharper is NOT too slow to cover your wideouts. The guy led the NFC in interceptions last year and made the Pro Bowl....I wouldn't call that losing a step. Besides, he won't even be lined up one on one with receivers, we run the Cover 2 remember?

Our running backs have never had a 1000 yard season, but that's because they have always split time. When you only have half to 1/3 the carries of the other guy you're playing with, you're not going to have 1000 yard seasons. There are plenty of Ravens fans that will tell you that Chester Taylor should have been getting the bulk of the carries last year.

And I didn't call your receivers lolli-pops....I called them the Lolli-Pop Guild, as in the Wizard of Oz, because they're a bunch of MIDGETS!

whackthepack
09-09-2006, 03:02 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

I think not.
You guys are toast!
What’s that you say?

;D

Smack talking time and the first thing out of your mouth Thermometer up your A$$ is an excuse!
Oh we are only 75% or 80%, you are whining pussy like the rest of the Redskins fans!

We lost Koren Robinson, Tank Williams, Dovonte Edwards and Chad Greenway for the year and you complain that you have 2 players out for a week, give me a break!

I posted 2 days ago that I want both of your wimpy players to play so the talking heads and the whinny Skin's fans wouldn't have anything to complain about when we kick your a$$ on Monday, but your poor little baby running back can't play with his boo-boo!
What does he think he is T-Ho?
I can practice but I can't play.

Then you come on here and try to talk smack and you whine like a little girl, get out of here!

PurplePride80
09-09-2006, 03:38 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

I think not.
You guys are toast!
What’s that you say?
;D

I'm suprised that you're so confident the Redskins will beat the Vikings, especially since everything revolves around Portis in your offense. I'll admit that before Clinton
got hurt, I wasn't feeling to good about this game, but now I think we have a good chance to win.

The Redskins won't be able to keep our defense off balance, because they won't have number
26 in the backfield. Without that run support from Clinton, Brunell will turn the ball over and Moss won't be burning anyone deep. (especially with Sharper back there)
;D

Prophet
09-10-2006, 07:45 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

How convenient.

I think not.
You guys are toast!

No big deal.

Do your homework.

What’s that you say?

Nothing more.

;D

So you are the Prophet.

Reading comprehension.
Not even worth addressing your comments.
Did you even read what I wrote?

NordicNed
09-10-2006, 08:49 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

How convenient.

I think not.
You guys are toast!

No big deal.

Do your homework.

What’s that you say?

Nothing more.

;D

So you are the Prophet.

Reading comprehension.
Not even worth addressing your comments.
Did you even read what I wrote?

G.,

You make me laugh...... ;D

I also love the way you started your post, by making and setting up an excuse before the game even starts, 75% ?
LMAO

Even if you where at 110%, you guys would still start and are going to start your season at 0-1.

The reason I say this, the one thing that will be sure to hand us a WIN in DC on monday night is, the difference in Coaches......

Sure Gibbs was a great coach, in the past, but he, like many players do when they get old is, he's lost a step and living in the past.
Hell I heard he was happy to come back to coaching because he was tired of fighting with NASCAR about letting his drivers wear leather racing helmets.....
;D

Childress has a fire in his eye that reminds me of a young Gibbs and he knows your Dedskins very well......

How much are Indian Scalpes going for these days I wonder, I could make a bundle by the end of Monday Nights Game...

Vikings 27

Skins

Thermodyne
09-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Where are all the Vikes fans?
Here I am posting Redskin Smack and this sorry few take exception?
That’s right, I’m here in your forum telling you how the Vikes will lose in Washington on Monday night.
And deep down you all know that I’m right, deep down you guys are just praying that it’s not a blow out.
As each day passes, Portis seems to improve; he’s gone from sitting out to dressing to playing as a backup in just three days.
And now two of your guys are playing for free, I’ll bet they will be really putting out there best effort.

So let’s make this simple.
Come Monday night, THE VIKES LOOSE by 10+.
That’s right, I’m here in your house talking Redskin Smack, and some of you must be believing it.
With so few people posting in opposition, many of you must see it as a forgone conclusion.
Last winter I posted the same kind of smack in the Tampa forum and over 100 fans had at me.
Man did I have fun after that game.

whackthepack
09-10-2006, 01:55 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

That’s right, I’m here in your forum telling you how the Vikes will lose in Washington on Monday night.
And deep down you all know that I’m right, deep down you guys are just praying that it’s not a blow out.
As each day passes, Portis seems to improve; he’s gone from sitting out to dressing to playing as a backup in just three days.
And now two of your guys are playing for free, I’ll bet they will be really putting out there best effort.

That’s right, I’m here in your house talking Redskin Smack, and some of you must be believing it.
With so few people posting in opposition, many of you must see it as a forgone conclusion.
Last winter I posted the same kind of smack in the Tampa forum and over 100 fans had at me.

You are the lamest smack talking Troll I have ever seen!!!
You pretend nobody responds to your lame a$$
posts and write more lame sh*t instead of addressing the people that challenged you.
So Thermometer up your a$$ why don't you respond to the people that say you are a whinny little school girl instead of writing more crap your lame a$$ team can't back up!

The Skins are going to be cellar dwellers in the East!
The Vikings are going to the playoffs!
So I think you should run home and suckle at your momma's teat you sorry excuse for a football fan!

By the way when the Viking's kick the sh*t out of the Skin's tomorrow night come back and take your medicine, but you only do that if you win don't you?
So I have a feeling we will never hear from you again you lame piece of dog excrement!

KrackerJack
09-10-2006, 02:40 PM
Yeah no kiding, lets see if you show up here after the Vikes beat the RedNecks

FedjeViking
09-10-2006, 03:43 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

That’s right, I’m here in your forum telling you how the Vikes will lose in Washington on Monday night. And deep down you all know that I’m right, deep down you guys are just praying that it’s not a blow out.

Maybe because we are mature enough to know your 'posting smack' here because you know that is all the fun you'll have from this game!

Viking fans don't have to go to other forums and post smack.

Personally, I'll be at the game Monday night to watch the Deadskins get scalped!

Vikings 27 - Deadskins 17

Ltrey33
09-10-2006, 04:43 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

It's kind of funny how he posts this after 2+ pages of members responding to every argument he made against the Vikes. What does he do in turn? Offers no evidence to support his opinion/conclusions about the game. He just goes on to make more empty promises about how the Redskins will play with no tangible evidence to back it up. Way to go Therhomodyne.

Thermodyne
09-10-2006, 06:43 PM
What three posts!
ROTFLMAO
There must not be many of you who really think the Vikings can beat the Skins.
This is sorry….just plain pitiful.

SharperImage42
09-10-2006, 06:48 PM
wat a little poop head

ur such a little kid, if u wanna say were gonna win, say it here dont trash around and make yourself look like a jack ass

viva la vikings

24-17 vikes win it

Thermodyne
09-10-2006, 06:53 PM
That’s good.
I guess you think the Skins win too.
Well you sure aren’t saying other wise.
SKINS WIN AGAINST VIKINGS
can ya read that palsy?

nephilimstorm
09-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Isnt Portis just backing up...??? geesh tj is an unproven back to me...Good luck poop head

Prophet
09-10-2006, 07:40 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

What three posts!
ROTFLMAO
There must not be many of you who really think the Vikings can beat the Skins.
This is sorry….just plain pitiful.

Why waste our time.
You try to lay down smack by putting statements down that are the equivalent of, "Vikings suck" and have nothing to offer.
When people address your comments you ignore them and come back with some other generic posts that are below my six-year old son's smack talking ability.
If you want to talk smack bring something to the table.
If this is all you have to offer than don't bother.

SharperImage42
09-10-2006, 07:51 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

That’s good.
I guess you think the Skins win too.
Well you sure aren’t saying other wise.
SKINS WIN AGAINST VIKINGS
can ya read that palsy?

i can read that PALSY!!

can uread this

now get ur little 12 year old sticky after masterbation fingers off your keyboard, act mature, and do something better with ur life

skol vikes

singersp
09-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Posted on Mon, Sep. 11, 2006

Childress vs. Gibbs: Who's more nervous? (http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/sports/15489853.htm)

Chargers hope for grit, guts from new starter RiversNewcomer Childress vs. Hall of Famer Gibbs: Guess who looks more nervous

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

LANDOVER, Md. - Joe Gibbs, a Hall of Fame coach with three Super Bowl rings, says tonight's season opener between the Washington Redskins and Minnesota Vikings will be one of the most important games of his career.

Brad Childress, making his debut as an NFL head coach, says it will be just another game.

Hmm. Shouldn't that be the other way around?

"All the preparation is the same for a preseason game," Childress said. "You are worried about other things than your first game as an NFL head coach."

Childress will need his best blinders on to keep that attitude, especially in front of 90,000 people emotionally charged over the expectations the Redskins will follow last year's playoff run with something even better. Not to mention the patriotic spirit that will fill the stadium as the fifth anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks is remembered during pregame ceremonies.

Given that the Redskins have one of the most experienced and expensive coaching staffs in NFL history, it hardly seems fair to start Childress off this way, even if he was a regular visitor to Washington during his seven years as an assistant with the Philadelphia Eagles.

"At one time all those guys were first-time starters, too," Minnesota quarterback Brad Johnson said. "Sometimes you've got to learn. Experience is only good if you get it done, but obviously they're proven. They're all Hall of Fame people. But we've got some guys that have been in the business a long time and that don't fear the game, that don't fear the opponent."

In fact, it is Gibbs who has the scared, nervous look. He's always wound tight as a drum in the days before the season opener, and this week was no exception.

"I would say it is one of the most important games that I will be a part of," Gibbs said repeatedly. When pressed, however, he gave rambling explanations that neither matched nor justified the very hype he had just created.

Rivers finally joins Big Ben, Eli as NFL starter - Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman found out a little something about quarterback Philip Rivers a few years ago when they were still in college.

Late in a game between Rivers' North Carolina State team and Merriman's Maryland team, the linebacker raced in and leveled the quarterback, who was desperately trying to rally his team.

"Oh, he was (mad)," Merriman said. "I tried to get up and he twisted my ankle. I turned around and said, 'What the hell are you doing twisting my ankle?' He got in my face and I got in his face."

Sure enough, a photo from that day shows the rangy quarterback facemask-to-facemask with the nasty linebacker, refusing to back down.

They've been teammates now going on two seasons, and the Chargers hope to see that kind of attitude as Rivers takes over as the starter in place of the departed Drew Brees.

"You like for that spark to be in a quarterback and for him to have that ferociousness," Merriman said, looking back on that day in college. "I love that. I love anybody that wants to compete with me."

Rivers will make his first start in his three NFL seasons when the Chargers visit the Oakland Raiders in the second half of Monday night's doubleheader.

He's got some catching up to do with the other top quarterbacks from the draft class of 2004. Ben Roethlisberger helped Pittsburgh win the Super Bowl and Eli Manning got the New York Giants into the playoffs.

Heck, Rivers trails even his own star running back. While Rivers has one career TD pass in two seasons, LaDainian Tomlinson threw three last year for a career total of four.

Although Rivers is untested, the Chargers are counting on his two years in the system to help shorten his learning curve.

Or, as Rivers himself put it: "Mentally, these past few years, I'm like a third-year guy. As for experience, I'm like a 30-pass guy."

That's it, on the nose.

But Rivers has earned his teammates' confidence. Although Brees succeeded in keeping Rivers on the bench for two years, the younger QB paid attention, said all the right things and always prepared as if he were the starter.

"Even though Drew was playing, he was communicating with the players," All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates said of Rivers. "He had a relationship with everybody before he even took over the starting quarterback position. So once he took over, it was second-nature for him to say, 'I'm the leader of this ballclub.' "

Of course, how Tomlinson does running the ball will help determine how Rivers will do.

"If they got in their mind that it's going be a tough night to run the ball, they'll look to their young quarterback and say, 'The game is on you son. You have to win it,"' Raiders defensive tackle Warren Sapp said. "Who knows where that will take them."

Rivers looked both brilliant and awful in four exhibition games. Tomlinson didn't touch the ball, as a precaution against injury.

Not only is the Pro Bowl running back looking forward to his first carries of the season, against a team he always plays well against, but he's also impressed with Rivers.

"Philip's a very smart guy," Tomlinson said. "So it's really not surprising where he is right now."

And if teams stack the line against the run?

"I think Philip will be able to hurt people if they do start to do that," Tomlinson said. "We'll be able to throw the ball against them. We'll be fine."

Besides Rivers' lack of experience as a starter, the other great unknown for the Chargers is how well rookie left tackle Marcus McNeill will protect the quarterback.

"I don't care who it is, whether he's a veteran or a youngster, the key thing is making sure you protect the guy," said Art Shell, a Hall of Fame tackle who returns for his second stint as Raiders coach. "Because it's going to be difficult for young guys in the sense that the defense shows you one thing then moves to another thing really quickly. What you see is not what you're going to get most of the time after the ball is snapped."

Rivers started an NCAA-record 51 games at North Carolina State and was MVP of five bowls, including the 2004 Senior Bowl.

Rivers will always be linked with Manning, who said before the 2004 draft that he wouldn't play in San Diego if the Chargers took him with the No. 1 pick. They did anyway, then traded him to the Giants for Rivers and a handful of picks, one of which the Chargers used the following year to take Merriman.

"I'd be lying to say I don't like to check and see what those guys did," Rivers said. "It's fun to look and see what those guys did from week to week. Honestly, if anybody's got an up on anybody it's Roethlisberger, and him winning the Super Bowl. Ultimately, that's where you're going to be measured at the end - wins and losses, and the Super Bowl."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game plan

Who: Minnesota Vikings at Washington Redskins

When: 6 p.m., today

TV: ESPN

---

Who: San Diego Chargers at Oakland Raiders

When: 9:15 p.m., today

TV: ESPN

singersp
09-11-2006, 07:49 AM
THE CALL: Vikings vs. Washington (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/667781.html)

The Vikings' rookie coaching staff makes its debut vs. Washington's Joe Gibbs-led group, but the way his team played in preseason suggests experience isn't everything.

Kevin Seifert
Last update: September 10, 2006 – 7:34 PM

WHEN THE VIKINGS RUN THE BALL
There wasn't much room for RB Chester Taylor to run this preseason; Taylor averaged 2.6 yards per carry. Some of that can be attributed to tough defensive fronts, and the running game should get better as the line jells. But it would have to make huge strides to make an impact tonight. The Vikings will be facing an active defensive front led by DT Cornelius Griffin and all-purpose LB Marcus Washington. Opponents ran freely in the preseason, but the Redskins will be tighter tonight.

WHEN THE VIKINGS PASS THE BALL

The Redskins will be missing their top cornerback, Shawn Springs. Even worse for them, former Vikings CB Kenny Wright will start in his place. Washington has some decent pass rushers in Griffin and DE Andre Carter, but we think the Vikings' passing game has been underrated because of its West Coast moniker and lack of star receivers. QB Brad Johnson is capable of picking apart the Redskins secondary, even if it is 5 or 6 yards at a time. He will be looking early and often for Taylor and TE Jermaine Wiggins.

WHEN THE REDSKINS RUN THE BALL

Injured RB Clinton Portis will be a backup, but don't forget that understudy Ladell Betts ran for a career-high 118 yards against the Vikings during the final game of the 2004 regular season. Betts is a hard-charging runner who fits well in coordinator Al Saunders' scheme. The Redskins also have T.J. Duckett in reserve, making for a physical battle with Vikings DTs Pat Williams and Kevin Williams. Washington's interior line is overmatched against them.

WHEN THE REDSKINS PASS THE BALL

QB Mark Brunell has more weapons than he has ever had in Washington, including new WRs Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El. But TE Chris Cooley is the player who could really hurt the Vikings. Cooley can beat any of the Vikings' three starting linebackers in 1-on-1 coverage, and overcompensating for him would open up the deep middle for other receivers. Brunell did not have a strong preseason, but if he's patient against the Vikings rush, he will find open receivers.

SPECIAL TEAMS

While Vikings PK Ryan Longwell and P Chris Kluwe had smooth preseasons, both Redskins kickers struggled. Washington P Derrick Frost was nearly cut before showing improvement in the preseason finale. The Vikings' coverage units were inconsistent, and PR James Thrash is a legitimate threat. That the Vikings have refused to announce their return specialists suggests concern more than it does a game-changing surprise.

COACHING

The Redskins are, uh, slightly more experienced. Joe Gibbs' staff includes three former head coaches (Saunders, Gregg Williams and Joe Bugel). Saunders (offense) and Williams (defense) are two of the league's most respected coordinators. But the Redskins' poor preseason raised questions about the transition to Saunders' system and whether opponents have figured out Williams' schemes. Tonight is Brad Childress' first regular season game as a head coach. It's his assistants' first night as NFL coordinators.

PREDICTION

Game 1 always is the hardest. No one in the NFL knows who the good teams are yet. But the Vikings have the type of veteran group that could win a nationally televised road game. They are balanced, confident and -- if the preseason is any indication -- won't beat themselves. That's half the battle, especially against a team that appears in disarray. What the heck. We're sticking our neck out for Brad and the boys.

cajunvike
09-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Thermocrap...it appears to me that you got thoroughly VIKESLAPPED!!! LOL

I will personally be there to witness the beatdown...the beatdown of the Deadskins by the Vikings!

Your team needs to be more concerned with getting good enough to be the Cowturds...who own the Skins'
A$$ES!

The Vikings will own the Deadskins' A$$ES tonight as well....;)

Prophet
09-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Vikings-Redskins Preview
Associated Press
11 September 2006
Link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5956038)

The Washington Redskins never had to worry about Clinton Portis staying on the field last season. The Minnesota Vikings, meanwhile, are becoming adept at handling issues off the field.

Portis will probably be a backup when the Redskins open the season against a revamped Vikings team at FedEx Field on Monday night.

Washington entered training camp riding high after last year's playoff run and another impressive offseason acquiring coaches and players. The 2006 Redskins could be much better, but Portis' shoulder injury is a concern.

Portis, who has missed just one game in two seasons with the Redskins, partially dislocated his left shoulder in the preseason opener against Cincinnati.

On Friday, he essentially ruled himself out for this game and said he was focusing on Washington's upcoming matchups with Dallas and Houston. But on Saturday, coach Joe Gibbs said he thought Portis would serve as Ladell Betts' backup on Monday.

"That's the way I think it's going to go," Gibbs said. "I think that's what we've tried to accurately portray during the week. ... We'll kind of let the game portray what role that will be."

Portis set a franchise record with 1,516 yards last season.

"I'm about 93.9 (percent) right now," he said Saturday. "I've still got two more days to get to 100 percent. ... At the rate things have been increasing, it looks pretty good."

Gibbs' guidance helped the Redskins rally from 5-6 to 10-6 and a win over Tampa Bay in the first round of the playoffs. He will be a key influence again with Portis hurt and the team learning a new offense.

Quarterback Mark Brunell had one of his best seasons last year, but he's about to turn 36 and has been slowed by various injuries the last two seasons. New receivers Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El join Santana Moss and Chris Cooley to present a talented array of options when Brunell goes back to pass, but all are still learning the complex offense designed by Al Saunders, who was hired from Kansas City in the offseason.

Gibbs was also smart enough to realize the responsibilities of coach and team president were wearing him thin, so he hired Saunders, who piled up the points and yards with the Chiefs.

"I feel much more comfortable than I did the first year," Gibbs said. "We can build a lot on that. You have a real good feeling about what kind of individuals you have on the team. We are going to lean on them. Certainly, for us, you sink or swim with your players. I feel good about this group."

On defense, there are many underrated standouts, including linemen Cornelius Griffin and Phillip Daniels and linebacker Marcus Washington. New arrival Andre Carter can rush the quarterback and safety Sean Taylor leads the defensive backfield.

"Anything short of going all the way, honestly, would be a disappointment," Brunell said.

Minnesota fired coach Mike Tice in the offseason and hired Brad Childress to replace him and change the team culture. Tice's tenure was filled with non-football problems, including arrests for assault, scalped Super Bowl tickets and the "Love Boat" party.

Twice since training camp began, Childress has been forced to answer questions about off-the-field trouble involving his players, most notably receiver Koren Robinson's charges on fleeing police and drunken driving. Robinson, facing a possible season-long suspension for a third violation of the league's substance abuse policy, was cut.

Then, starting safety Dwight Smith was cited for indecent conduct with a woman last weekend in a stairwell outside a downtown Minneapolis nightclub.

"Just because you are here for six months or eight months, that culture does not change immediately," Childress said. "But that is certainly the goal, and we are not going to stop trying to get that right."

The Vikings went 9-7 last year and barely missed the playoffs, but there were several deficiencies that needed to be addressed. All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson, running back Chester Taylor, kicker Ryan Longwell, fullback Tony Richardson, and linebacker Ben Leber are the notable free-agent signings.

A quick-strike offense that led the league in total yards in 2003 and excelled again in 2004 was led by Daunte Culpepper, who was traded to Miami after suffering a devastating knee injury last season.

Johnson, the steady, soon-to-be-38-year-old, is the quarterback of a low-risk offense. On the other side, 34-year-old defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin has brought the Cover 2 zone scheme with him from Tampa Bay. The defense made significant improvements during last season's 7-2 finish and was impressive this preseason.

The defensive line features three first-round draft picks and a defensive tackle, Pat Williams, coming off a career season. Smith and Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper join cornerbacks Antoine Winfield and Fred Smoot to form an experienced secondary that should help relieve pressure on a linebacking corps that has been a weakness for years in Minnesota.

"I think we could really catch a lot of people by surprise," Smoot said. "They really don't know what to expect from us."

The Redskins defeated the Vikings 21-18 at home on Jan. 2, 2005, in the last meeting between the teams.

Turboe
09-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Just got back from the store with more beer, chips, dip, and fresh Brats.
I was going to dig a brat out of the freezer, but I thought the season opener probably deserves some new fresh brats.
May have one for lunch just to get the flavor started in the house.

I might not be able to get much work done today in my home office as I my mind is wandering.
I have to go by my Packer fan neighbors business at some point today to see how he is doing.
And to wear my Vikings jersey in there just to get him pissed off.

I have the Authentic Tarkenton on right now, but I think after I get motivated and get a shower it will be the authentic James jersey for the rest of the day, on through the game.

What time is everyones home tailgate starting?
When does the ESPN Monday Night Countdown start 6pm Eastern I think?

Thermodyne
09-11-2006, 12:14 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Thermocrap...it appears to me that you got thoroughly VIKESLAPPED!!! LOL

I will personally be there to witness the beatdown...the beatdown of the Deadskins by the Vikings!

Your team needs to be more concerned with getting good enough to be the Cowturds...who own the Skins'
A$$ES!

The Vikings will own the Deadskins' A$$ES tonight as well....;)

We swept em last year!
Broke their hearts in front of a national audience on Monday night, then stomped them at FedEx late in the season.

Thermodyne
09-11-2006, 12:17 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

yak yak yak "Vikings suck" and have nothing to offer.
yak yak yak

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

You said the words brother.
Or perhaps this was your almighty speaking through his Prophet.

Thermodyne
09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Again, your brilliance is portrayed in your post.
This is talking smack?
It reminds me of how little children argue.
Maybe you could work on this technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofellatio), it would be a wiser use of your time.

Now look at how low you’ve stooped.
You’ve linked us to one of your how-to porn links.
Looks like a drawing of a minor too.
Hey Prophet, do you like alter boys?
Come on now, fess up.
That’s how you got your name isn’t it?

Oh Well, it’s still Skins by 10.
The Vikings have no running game and the Redskin defense will be all over Brad.
He's not mobile enough to get away from the multiple blitzes.

Del Rio
09-11-2006, 12:40 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

This is talking smack?
Maybe you could work on this technique (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofellatio), it would be a wiser use of your time.

Come on now, fess up.

You blitz a WCO your begging for trouble.

You better hope your line gets pressure. Because if you start blitzing your going to lose.

Prophet
09-11-2006, 12:44 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

This is talking smack?

Come on now, fess up.

Funny stuff.
Just trying to help you develop a hobby that is fitting to your personality.

Johnson doesn't have to be mobile to get away from the blitzes.
He might get a little tired from walking dowfield 5-15 yds at a time though.
Brunell is the guy you should be concerned about.

Thermodyne
09-11-2006, 12:50 PM
"Del" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

This is talking smack?

Come on now, fess up.

You better hope your line gets pressure. Because if you start blitzing your going to lose.

West coast went through here years ago.
It only works well when you have great receivers and QB’s who can move.
With average receivers and slow footed QB’s you get 2 yard completions and picks for TD’s.
If you watched the Redskins last year you would know that they blitz everything.
They have no fear.
It being the first game, they may be a little conservative, but if you go down 10, it’ll be Katie bar the door time.

Del Rio
09-11-2006, 12:51 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

This is talking smack?

Come on now, fess up.

West coast went through here years ago.
It only works well when you have great receivers and QB’s who can move.
With average receivers and slow footed QB’s you get 2 yard completions and picks for TD’s.
If you watched the Redskins last year you would know that they blitz everything.
They have no fear.
It being the first game, they may be a little conservative, but if you go down 10, it’ll be Katie bar the door time.

Not really.

You only need mediocre WR's a few good TE's and a Rb that can catch out of the backfield. Ask the Eagles. It is designed to expose gaps in the defense. Short timing routes will eat your blitzes up for 5-8 yards a pop.

The only questions are is our line comfortable enough to call the blitz.

I know Brad is more then capable of reading your blitzes. That is why I say, hope and pray your line controls the trenches.

Thermodyne
09-11-2006, 12:59 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Funny stuff.

HA HA HA, I'll bet you demonstrate it for anyone willing to watch.

As for you assurances that the Vikings are as good as you think they are, how bout putting a little something behind your convictions.
Since a loosing performance would mean that you were wrong and as such a false Prophet, how about you putting you nick name behind your words?
When the Redskins win you close your Prophet account and open a new one named FalseProphet.
That is after all what you would be.

Thermodyne
09-11-2006, 01:05 PM
"Del" wrote:

Not really.

You only need mediocre WR's a few good TE's and a Rb that can catch out of the backfield. Ask the Eagles. It is designed to expose gaps in the defense. Short timing routes will eat your blitzes up for 5-8 yards a pop.

I know Brad is more then capable of reading your blitzes. That is why I say, hope and pray your line controls the trenches.

Brad Johnson is not McNabb, not even close.
So if you think that you are going to be just like Philly cause you got one of their coaches, then get ready for a long season.
Because all the coaching in the world can’t make Brad into a West Coast QB.

Del Rio
09-11-2006, 01:05 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

Funny stuff.

As for you assurances that the Vikings are as good as you think they are, how bout putting a little something behind your convictions.
Since a loosing performance would mean that you were wrong and as such a false Prophet, how about you putting you nick name behind your words?
When the Redskins win you close your Prophet account and open a new one named FalseProphet.

What do you have to put behind your convictions? Absolutely nothing, so why would he wager a nobody that has nothing to offer when he has been here for years?

whackthepack
09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

Funny stuff.

Will you come back tomorrow and take your beating after we win tonight?

Or will you run and hide like I suspect you will!

Del Rio
09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Not really.

So if you think that you are going to be just like Philly cause you got one of their coaches, then get ready for a long season.

Brad is a WCO QB, have you even watched football the last 10 years?

Thermodyne
09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
1)
I'll be here, most likely alone.

2)
Yep the prophet has beeen here a long time, since before the internet according to him.

3)
Brad played WC for us, he sucked!
I don't think he ever won a MNF game while he was here.

Del Rio
09-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Let me help you out a bit.

The popular term "West Coast Offense" as a general concept is more of a philosophy and an approach to the game than it is a set of plays or formations. "Traditional" offensive thinking argues that a team must establish their running game first, which will draw the defense in and open up vertical passing lanes downfield (passing lanes that run perpendicular to the line of scrimmage). Walsh's "West Coast Offense", on the contrary, stipulates that a defense must first be stretched with a short, horizontal passing attack that features sharp, precisely-run pass patterns by the receivers and quick, 3-step and 5-step drops by the quarterback. This 'stretching' will then open up running lanes for the backs to exploit.

Our running game relies on the passing game. We do not need a 1,000 yard rusher as long as he can block, and as long as he can catch.

This will, in theory, make the offense's play calling unpredictable, which makes a defense play 'honest'.

If you need to blitz to get pressure it's playing into our offensive scheme.

West Coast Offense uses some of the same principles (pass to establish the run, quarterback throws to timed spots), but offensive formations are generally less complicated with more wideouts, the timed spots are usually farther downfield than in the Walsh-style offense, and the system requires a greater reliance on traditional pocket passing

You do not need a mobile QB. If Brad Johnson can break records and become one of the best QB's your team has ever had statistically I think he can handle a Monday night game carving your team to pieces.

Del Rio
09-11-2006, 01:16 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

1)
I'll be here, most likely alone.

2)
Yep the prophet has beeen here a long time, since before the internet according to him.

3)
Brad played WC for us, he sucked!
I don't think he ever won a MNF game while he was here.

Well you officially lost any credibility you had. Brad Johnson was about the only bright spot on your sorry jiggly butt team when he was there LMAO. You really have no clue do you?

In the west coast offense Brad had the best season yet at Washington, making the Pro Bowl for the first time in his career with a 90.0 passer rating with 4,005 yards, 24 TDs and 13 INTs. His 316 completions set a Washington team record and his 4,005 passing yards ranks second all-time in Redskins history. He was also NFC Offensive Player of the Week twice that year again. He led the Washington Redskins to the playoffs and defeated the Detroit Lions in the first-round before falling to Tampa Bay by a single point the following week.

Thermodyne
09-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Well it’s been fun, but it’s time for me to head home and get changed for the game.
I’ll leave you with this

WASHINGTON REDSKINS WILL LOSE THE GAME. I WILL PROBABLY NEVER COME BACK HERE

Del Rio
09-11-2006, 01:24 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

Well it’s been fun, but it’s time for me to head home and get changed for the game.
I’ll leave you with this

WASHINGTON REDSKINS SUCK AND WILL BE LUCKY TO FIND THE ENDZONE ON NATIONAL TV

Oh it's been a blast. At least stop by once to eat your crow tomorrow.

Prophet
09-11-2006, 01:31 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

Funny stuff.

Again.
Reading comprehension.
Look back at what I posted in this thread and learn.
Your football knowledge is hovering around pre-peewee level.
That is evident.

It would make no sense to make that bet since you have nothing to offer.
I will be surprised if you're man enough to come back after the game.

6-KINGS
09-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Del, he is a useless, miserable bag of dusty F***bones.

We all fart in his general direction.........

Del Rio
09-11-2006, 01:33 PM
"6-KINGS" wrote:

Del, he is a useless, miserable bag of dusty F***bones.

We all fart in his general direction.........

I feel bad I wasted a fart on my computer chair. Next time though I will be ready.

whackthepack
09-11-2006, 03:08 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

"Del" wrote:

Not really.

Brad is one of the most accurate passers in NFL history and after he left the Pinkskin's what happened?
He went to Tampa Bay and won a Superbowl something that McVrab hasn't done (he lost his)!

PS. Numbnuts Tampa Bay runs a WCO and has for a long time, so I guess that makes Brad a West Coast QB!

NordicNed
09-11-2006, 03:16 PM
How come I always come across a thread after the kicking (or should I say farting) has been done.
>:(

Prophet
09-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Two more hours.
I thought the opener would never get here.

whackthepack
09-11-2006, 06:26 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Two more hours.
I thought the opener would never get here.

1/2 hour to go and counting!

whackthepack
09-11-2006, 06:46 PM
15 minutes and a new era starts for the Vikes!
May it be great and we look back on this as the start of one of the greatest eras of Viking football!

gregair13
09-11-2006, 06:49 PM
im scared. SKOL vikings. lets get this freaking season started!

Ltrey33
09-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Hahahaha! Bring it on Redskin trolls! Where are you now?!?!?!?!

whackthepack
09-11-2006, 10:34 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

Hahahaha! Bring it on Redskin trolls! Where are you now?!?!?!?!

We will never see that weasel again!

WBLVikeBabe
09-11-2006, 10:36 PM
What a game!
Best thing that could have happened for us, thanks for the gift Hall!

TARKenton
09-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Thermodyne-

Come get your crow you little biznatch.
OWNED!

(we need a middle finger smilie guy)

Prophet
09-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Thermodyne is too busy having his mommy comfort him.
One of his built in excuses played tonight.
What a spineless weasel.

oakmage
09-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Let see after week one

W
L
NFC East

NFC North

And concidering that on of our wins and losses came in the same game we still did better then the NFC East.
The NFC East being the bestconf in football by foot.

whackthepack
09-12-2006, 12:08 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

I’ll leave you with this

WASHINGTON REDSKINS WILL LOSE THE GAME. I WILL PROBABLY NEVER COME BACK HERE

I wish he had the guts to stop by and at least take a little medicine, but no he would only do that if they had won.

Ltrey33
09-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Definately. What a wuss.

purplehorn
09-12-2006, 12:49 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

Easy money .....

8)

I did get my bet in at +6 thanks for making my mortgage pmt Vikes
;D

Vikefanman2000
09-12-2006, 12:55 AM
The way I see it....he was fun for a week of trash talking...
its PASSIONATE fans that make cheering on teams fun!

To be fair....if he would have shown up after a win.....everyone would have cried about getting rid of the troll!!
If he showed up now, then we would dog the crap out of him....

he was in a no win situation.
Again, thanks for the week of trash talking!

purplehorn
09-12-2006, 01:16 AM
"Del" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

I’ll leave you with this

WASHINGTON REDSKINS SUCK AND WILL BE LUCKY TO FIND THE ENDZONE ON NATIONAL TV

Oh it's been a blast. At least stop by once to eat your crow tomorrow.

Here is your invitation although probably unread

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:dIXH3CLEtvIkbM:http://www.pete-online.us/Images/EatCrow.jpg

AngloVike
09-12-2006, 05:34 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

How come I always come across a thread after the kicking (or should I say farting) has been done.

Same here Ned .... still will comforting to know that the troll won't be very happy this fine morning
;D

According to him Brad had never won a MNF game there .. just shows now that if play for the right team then you will win ..

Feeling hungry ?http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1521/crowuk5.jpg
Bye bye troll

Del Rio
09-12-2006, 07:26 AM
"Vikefanman2000" wrote:

The way I see it....he was fun for a week of trash talking...
its PASSIONATE fans that make cheering on teams fun!

To be fair....if he would have shown up after a win.....everyone would have cried about getting rid of the troll!!
If he showed up now, then we would dog the crap out of him....

he was in a no win situation.
Again, thanks for the week of trash talking!

I highly doubt it. If they would have won we would have taken it like we always do. If he came back now he probably would have said good game or complained about the roughing calls............

Either way what you described usually doesn't happen that often.

PurplePride80
09-12-2006, 08:56 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

Same here Ned .... still will comforting to know that the troll won't be very happy this fine morning
;D
According to him Brad had never won a MNF game there .. just shows now that if play for the right team then you will win ..

Feeling hungry ?http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1521/crowuk5.jpg
Bye bye troll

LMAO
;D

Prophet
09-12-2006, 09:46 AM
It is amazing how quiet the board is after a W...as far as trolls go.
The morning after an L the trolls come swooping in with their gibberish at alarming rates.

One of the frustrating things about NFL forums is that most people that want to really discuss football hang out at their homer sites.
Most of the forums that have all the teams or the teams from a division are relatively dead.
It would be nice if knowledgable fans of other teams would stop by to discuss the games.
Sure it happens, but the trolls far outnumber someone that actually wants to discuss the game.
Just wanted to say this to the three people that read this.

PurplePeopleEaters
09-12-2006, 09:58 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

It is amazing how quiet the board is after a W...as far as trolls go.
The morning after an L the trolls come swooping in with their gibberish at alarming rates.

One of the frustrating things about NFL forums is that most people that want to really discuss football hang out at their homer sites.
Most of the forums that have all the teams or the teams from a division are relatively dead.
It would be nice if knowledgable fans of other teams would stop by to discuss the games.
Sure it happens, but the trolls far outnumber someone that actually wants to discuss the game.
Just wanted to say this to the three people that read this.

I frequent an NFL forum mainly for graphics and smack talk... a few skins fans and I have been talking smack all week and now they are no where to be found.

Del Rio
09-12-2006, 10:01 AM
The sadest thing is it gets quite from a lot of regular posters here too......

Thermodyne
09-12-2006, 10:25 AM
OK here I am.......................Can I have some whoopass sauce with that crow please.

NordicNed
09-12-2006, 10:31 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

OK here I am.......................Can I have some whoopass sauce with that crow please.

;D

Okay Thermodyne, how would you like that sauce?
MILD, MEDIUM, OR WOOPASS HOT ?
;D

I'm sure you didn't enjoy the ending as much as I did, but overall, it was a fun game to watch....

Better luck next week to you. I hope your Skins can save a little of that WhOOPASS your chewing on and Give some to the Cowgirls....God I hate that team... ;)

Thermodyne
09-12-2006, 10:38 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

;D

;D

I'm sure you didn't enjoy the ending as much as I did, but overall, it was a fun game to watch....

Better luck next week to you. I hope your Skins can save a little of that WhOOPASS your chewing on and Give some to the Cowgirls....God I hate that team... ;)

Yep it was a good game.
There were a lot of JACKED UP hits.

The difference in the came was to 1-4 red zone offense of the Skins.
We were kicking threes when we should have been scoring 6’s.
But even with all the field goals it took an awful call against Taylor to drive the last nail in the coffin.

Well we will work on red zone this week and you guys can work on the run.
1-4 won’t cut it for us and 2.8 per-rush won’t cut it for you.
Then perhaps we’ll see you again after Christmas.

Del Rio
09-12-2006, 10:45 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

;D

;D

Yep it was a good game.
There were a lot of JACKED UP hits.

The difference in the came was to 1-4 red zone offense of the Skins.
We were kicking threes when we should have been scoring 6’s.
But even with all the field goals it took an awful call against Taylor to drive the last nail in the coffin.

Well we will work on red zone this week and you guys can work on the run.
1-4 won’t cut it for us and 2.8 per-rush won’t cut it for you.
Then perhaps we’ll see you again after Christmas.

I would work on having Taylor not grab facemasks and not putting the crown of his helmet on the earhole of a WR already engaged in contact.

In the end it was a great game Brunell looked strong and decisive.

19-16 is fair enough. I can walk away with that considering that pass T-will dropped was a TD and we missed an extra point 27-16 sounds better but I guess in the end it didn't matter.

Mr. Purple
09-12-2006, 10:52 AM
I was watching cold pizza ( ::)) and they didnt give Brad Johnson or the Vikings any credit.They say that Brad will break down this year and they didnt metion anything about Tavaris.They ofcourse made it sound like Washington, "gave" us the win.Skip Baily is bye far thee worst person in the world to lisen to.I'm sorry, the guy looks like the only sport hes played in his life RacquetBall.

spikecyrus
09-12-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't care about any of those yuppie sports casters. The Vikes don"t need credit they need WWWWWWWs

TARKenton
09-12-2006, 10:59 AM
ESPN always makes excuses as to why the vikings won, or why they wont win.
Im about sick and tired of espn.
they expect you to pay for content on their website, theisman is the biggest homer announcer in the league, and with the exception of boomer and tj on primetime, it seems everyone disses the vikes.
I say f em.
Were 1-0, thats all that matters.

Thermodyne-
you proved alot of us wrong.
we didnt think you would take your lumps.
your alright in my book.
nice talking $h1t with ya.
Please send the cowgirls to 0-2 next week.

whackthepack
09-12-2006, 11:30 AM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

Thermodyne I respect you for coming on here this morning becasue I suspected we would never see you again.

It was a good game and the end of the 1st and the 1st half of the 2nd quarter really had me worried, I think your team is going to be fine they have some good talent and just need to put something together!

It was a tough loss for you I am sure but you have good things to look forward to this season.

Again i respect that you came back and good luck the rest of the way, and it was fun smack talking with you!

Prophet
09-12-2006, 12:00 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

Welcome back, now I'll take a serving of crow too for saying you won't show up again.

The amazing thing to me was 0 turnovers in the game.
Johnson & Brunell both looked like the veterans they are.
That was the kind of game I love to watch, a lot of battles going on in the trenches.
Good luck the rest of the regular season.
Both teams looked like they have a lot of untapped potential.

Thermodyne
09-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys,
Hope to be able to come back for the platoff game
;)

AmishGangsta
09-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Hello all, Redskins fan here, and i'm back for the punishment - sorry you gotta give me a day for it to sink in, that one hurt.

I didn't get to watch much of the game because I was at work, but they had a small TV going, and I had espn up on my computer.

A lot of people in the DC area are talking about how bad the Skins looked, but from what I saw, both teams looked pretty good, not dominating or disfunctional; it came down to one play - you win some of those, and you lose some of those.

I knew we would shut the running game down for the most part, but I didn't expect to give up so many big plays downfield - Brad Johnson is a machine.
I don't know what's going on with our corners - we need Springs to get back.

Our offense didn't look so bad, they just left points on the field.
I thought it was kind of wierd that Santana was the leading rusher for our team, and Betts was the leading receiver
???
Betts was a drive killer, once he started running the ball, but Portis looked pretty good, I wish they would have gave him more carries, but at the same time, i'm glad they rested him for Dallas.

The officiating was good, though, I didn't like that call on Sean Taylor, I think they need to let the players play, had he given up on that play, it could have been a sideline catch - however, it didn't lead to anything but better field position, so i'm not all that worried about it.

The Skins seemed to cause stupid penalties at all the wrong times in the game.

Anyway, I was impressed with the Vikings, i'm glad that half of our division lost aswell.

Zeus
09-12-2006, 12:25 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Thermodyne" wrote:

Welcome back, now I'll take a serving of crow too for saying you won't show up again.

http://www.gold-n-treasures.net/images/crow-patriotic-deepdish-lg.jpg

Crow Pie:
1 crow
stuffing of your choice
salt and pepper
shortening
flour
2 Pie crust mixes
2-3 hard-boiled eggs

Stuff the crow. Loosen joints with a knife but do not cut through.
Simmer the crow in a stew-pan, with enough water to cover, until nearly tender, then season with salt and pepper. Remove meat from bones and set aside.
Prepare pie crusts as directed. (Do not bake)
Make a medium thick gravy with flour, shortening, and juices in which the crow has cooked and let cool.
Line a pie plate with pie crust and line with slices of hard-boiled egg. Place crow meat on top. Layer gravy over the crow. Place second pie dough crust over top.
Bake at 450 degrees for 1/2 hour.

=Z=

Del Rio
09-12-2006, 12:26 PM
"AmishGangsta" wrote:

Hello all, Redskins fan here, and i'm back for the punishment - sorry you gotta give me a day for it to sink in, that one hurt.

I didn't get to watch much of the game because I was at work, but they had a small TV going, and I had espn up on my computer.

A lot of people in the DC area are talking about how bad the Skins looked, but from what I saw, both teams looked pretty good, not dominating or disfunctional; it came down to one play - you win some of those, and you lose some of those.

I knew we would shut the running game down for the most part, but I didn't expect to give up so many big plays downfield - Brad Johnson is a machine.

I thought it was kind of wierd that Santana was the leading rusher for our team, and Betts was the leading receiver
???
Betts was a drive killer, once he started running the ball, but Portis looked pretty good, I wish they would have gave him more carries, but at the same time, i'm glad they rested him for Dallas.

The officiating was good, though, I didn't like that call on Sean Taylor, I think they need to let the players play, had he given up on that play, it could have been a sideline catch - however, it didn't lead to anything but better field position, so i'm not all that worried about it.

Anyway, I was impressed with the Vikings, i'm glad that half of our division lost aswell.

I think the Skins played a damn good game. Your Qb managed the game well and didn't make any big mistakes.

I am sure your team will bounce back no problem from the loss.

Zeus
09-12-2006, 12:26 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

Now, that's admirable.
Way to come back like a man.

Please join in on any discussions in the coming season!
I like honorable people who can take it as well as dish it!

=Z=

whackthepack
09-12-2006, 01:48 PM
I am very happy with the win for the Vikes last night, but I think they only played at about 65 to 70 % of what I think this team is capable of playing!
I hope vs Carolina that we are at least up to 75 to 85 %, and I am hoping by the end of the year if you compared what we saw last night to what we see at the end of the year it doesn't even look like the same team!

slavinator
09-12-2006, 01:58 PM
I will agree that they only played to about 60% of their ability.
I will give alot of credit to this to the fact that it is a tough place to play on the road.
The home opener will be a much different story and the GREAT thing to take away from that game is that we imposed our will upon the skins with solid football.
No turnovers, good rushing attack and timely defense.

The Skins are a better team than everyone is talking about right now.
I am impressed with a hard fought win.
I would have liked to see fewer penalties and T-Will come down with those 3 balls but he redeemed himself when it counted.

cajunvike
09-12-2006, 02:05 PM
"Thermodyne" wrote:

I can make up some Crow Gumbo for you if you like...tip of the hat to you for signing on today.

Good luck with the Cowturds...BOTH games!!!
Kick their A$$ES!!!

cajunvike
09-12-2006, 02:07 PM
"AmishGangsta" wrote:

???

That Sean Taylor late hit was WAY MORE blatant than that BS roughing the QB call on the Vikings...and I beg to differ...the officiating was CRAP!!!
I was at the game and they made several questionable calls.

That being said, we won...and that's all that matters!

Thanks for stopping back in after the loss...and you are welcome back anytime!

Prophet
09-12-2006, 06:01 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

I am very happy with the win for the Vikes last night, but I think they only played at about 65 to 70 % of what I think this team is capable of playing!

I hope vs Carolina that we are at least up to 75 to 85 %, and I am hoping by the end of the year if you compared what we saw last night to what we see at the end of the year it doesn't even look like the same team!

I know you just pulled those numbers out of your jiggly butt, but I agree.
Problem is, most teams are probably thinking the same thing.
It's safe to assume with the new coaching staff and O/D schemes that there will be relatively more improvement on the Vikings' squad compared to many other teams that have minor changes.

VKG4LFE
09-12-2006, 06:48 PM
YEAH BABY!!! That was a great game last night! (I guess any win is a great game), but I saw great second half defense for the most part keeping washington scoreless, except for the last drive were it took them what 4 plays to get to our 30!

Things that sucked: Longwell's short kickoffs and very little pressure put on Brunell (no sacks :()

But all things considered Brad played a great game, O-line played pretty well and I am pretty happy with how Chester Taylor did against a good defense!