PDA

View Full Version : Jason Carter impressive

forgottenbethel
08-25-2006, 10:28 PM
While TJ has been impressive in the preseason, the rookie impressing me the most in the preseason is this WR Jason Carter.
He has been making plays all preseason.
How did the Vikings get him?
He should make the team and at least be the third receiver.

Tanner_QBRB8
08-25-2006, 10:32 PM
i do agree that carter should definetly make the team but not the third wide out fourth probly he has been very impressive this preseason i like him

cajunvike
08-25-2006, 11:00 PM
He definitely helps soften the blow from Koren's screwup!

happy camper
08-25-2006, 11:04 PM
"Vikings fans may be seeing a glimps into the future"

after the TJ pass to carter

Benet
08-26-2006, 06:57 AM
Where did Carter come from?

skum
08-26-2006, 07:24 AM
he was an undrafted free agent out of Texas A&M

digital420
08-26-2006, 08:51 AM
this kid should not just make the team..

but think 1
year down the road..

T.j --> T.w and J.c

it's like... OHHH YEAH!!!!

i woldn't say he's our 3rd wr right now.. but def #4 or 5.. and KR PR with M.m if he gets healthy.

and we keep this tempo D.. we'll see that dynamic O, and a Crushing D!!

DiGiTaL

ViKing24
08-26-2006, 08:54 AM
yah carter should be are number #! receiver and josh davis are number 2

ThaSuperFreak33
08-26-2006, 11:01 AM
His play has been very good.
I believe he is Anthony Carter's son #81.

PurpleAndy
08-26-2006, 11:06 AM
http://www.aggieathletics.com/bios.php?SID=MFB&PID=12&YOS=2005

He can throw as well.

WBLVikeBabe
08-26-2006, 11:09 AM
Yea this guy is pretty awesome, but it's still kinda weird to be hearing the name Carter when it's not Cris.
I'm sure he'll make the team though probably as a number 4 receiver.
I can
see him possibly being a number one in the future of the Vikes if he contines to play the way he's been playing.

SKOL
08-26-2006, 12:12 PM
"ViKing24" wrote:

yah carter should be are number #! receiver and josh davis are number 2

???

;)

ViKing24
08-26-2006, 12:16 PM
that was mean't to be a joke because Koren Robinson will probably be done for the season and alot of people think they should give the 3rd team receivers have a chance

ColoradoVike
08-26-2006, 12:21 PM
"ThaSuperFreak33" wrote:

Is there any truth to this? I doubt it. There was an article in the Star Trib the other day that discussed Jason Carter, but made no mention of a relationship to AC.

BloodyHorns82
08-26-2006, 12:37 PM
This guy is a stud and it's looking more and more like he'll make the team.
YES!!

t_13
08-26-2006, 12:43 PM
"ColoradoVike" wrote:

"ThaSuperFreak33" wrote:

Is there any truth to this? I doubt it. There was an article in the Star Trib the other day that discussed Jason Carter, but made no mention of a relationship to AC.

no

DaVizzles
08-26-2006, 01:02 PM
This guy better make the team if he dosent i will be pissed i think he will make it i wanted the vikings to draft this guy but we got hi min the free agents he is a STAR

SKOL
08-26-2006, 01:30 PM
"ViKing24" wrote:

that was mean't to be a joke because Koren Robinson will probably be done for the season and alot of people think they should give the 3rd team receivers have a chance

I figured it was a joke..., that's why the
;)

Carter had better make the team.
I was mad last year when Hoag didn't, but it would be a crime this year if Carter doesn't.

Ltrey33
08-26-2006, 01:59 PM
I really hope Carter makes the team. He's performed great this pre-season with both receiving and returning punts. He deserves to make the roster, IMO. I think he will too, especially with K-Rob out of the picture.

kjdaddy
08-26-2006, 04:38 PM
It just sounds so right to hear..."Touchdown Carter!!!!"

VikesFan4Life
08-26-2006, 05:28 PM
I really hope this kid makes the team!
He's certainly been far more impressive than Childress' guy, "McMuffin".
What a dumb trade, Chilly must have owed someone in Philadelphia a favor.

And I'd like to see him take a better number; that #11 is unpleasant right now... he can have #81)

#11 - Joe Kapp still rules though...

digital420
08-26-2006, 06:17 PM
it seems really right to have a WR that can catch and is named Carter!!

reminds me of sooooo many good times.

DiGiTaL

FedjeViking
08-26-2006, 07:56 PM
I thought I heard the name Carter last night. Shame Cris isn't there to give him some pointers like AC did for him.
;D
Jason would be outstanding then!

NordicNed
08-26-2006, 07:59 PM
After watching him play in the Raiders game and now the Ravens game, I'de have to say Carter is a keeper in my book....I think he will make the team for sure.... ;)

Big C
08-26-2006, 08:05 PM
He should easily make the roster for the 4th reciever spot. I haven't seen any other reciever outside the top 3 shine (at least in pre-season games). I read somewhere that T.J and Carter have an inside joke calling themselves the "7-11". Found that funny.

Ltrey33
08-26-2006, 08:39 PM
"ViKing24" wrote:

Well Koren got cut, but you still have Williamson who has also looked really good this preseason and Travis Taylor ahead of him. So Carter could be #3 pretty easily, but one or two is a stretch.

NordicNed
08-26-2006, 08:46 PM
"VikesFan4Life" wrote:

I really hope this kid makes the team!
He's certainly been far more impressive than Childress' guy, "McMuffin".

Would you like your McMuffin, with or without cheese?... ;D

ForceOfNorse
08-26-2006, 11:47 PM

Hell No, He's not AC's son!!!!
AC wouldn't be caught dead in Texas!!!
hahahaha

ejmat
08-27-2006, 01:04 AM
I am impressed with him as well.
I think it's a good omen.
Hearing touchdown Carter for the Vikings just seems to be normal.
Between AC and CC it never gets old.
Now we can hear, Touchdown JC!!!!!!!!!!!

singersp
08-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Posted on Sun, Aug. 27, 2006

OVERLOOKED NO LONGER (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/15371044.htm)
If undrafted rookie receiver Jason Carter keeps making highlight-reel catches, it will be difficult to keep him off the roster.

BY MARCUS R. FULLER
Pioneer Press

With another standout performance Friday, Vikings rookie wide receiver Jason Carter is no longer a long shot to make the team.

In the Vikings' 30-7 exhibition victory over the Baltimore Ravens at the Metrodome, Carter caught a touchdown pass for the second consecutive game from rookie Tarvaris Jackson, this time on a 77-yard catch and run down the sideline.

He finished with two catches for a team-leading 107 yards, but Carter isn't sure it was enough to solidify a spot on the Vikings' roster.

"I can't say what it's done for me to make this team, because nothing is set in stone yet," said Carter, who also made a spectacular 30-yard grab on a pass from Mike McMahon. "I feel like I'm doing the things that I should be doing."

Carter, who went undrafted this year after leading Texas A&M in receiving, will learn his fate with Minnesota in the next two weeks. He's still on the bubble, but Carter has shown his value to the Vikings, who have recently struggled to find depth at receiver and kick and punt returns.

With Carter's emergence, the Vikings might not have to look outside the organization for a receiver after cutting Koren Robinson, who was charged Aug. 16 with six criminal counts stemming from a DWI.

Carter leads Minnesota in receiving with four catches for 155 yards and two touchdowns in three games.

He hasn't been as spectacular replacing injured running back Mewelde Moore as the team's No. 1 punt returner, but Carter has done enough to impress coach Brad Childress.

Childress praised Carter in the locker room after Friday's game for being consistent on fielding his punts.

"As a rookie, that's no small feat," he said. "Right now he's doing a good job of that. He'll make us make some tough decisions when you have to declare who's up and who's down."

Vikings veteran receiver Travis Taylor believes Carter can help the team no matter where he is.

"I've seen a huge improvement in him," Taylor said. "He's taking it to another level right now. The guy is a great talent. If he didn't make it here, it's a travesty."

NFL teams might have thought Carter wouldn't make it after some scouting reports said he didn't have the breakaway speed needed as a receiver in the league. He ran a slow 4.63 seconds 40-yard dash for a receiver at the NFL combine. Former Texas A&M quarterback Reggie McNeal, trying out as a receiver with the Cincinnati Bengals, was clocked at 4.35 seconds.

But it's been obvious every time Carter takes the field for the Vikings, that he has enough ability to excel. There's also little indication that he has been playing the position for only the past three years.

"Now that's something I didn't know," Taylor said about Carter being a former quarterback at Texas A&M. "As far as receiving skills, he's got what you need."

Using his powerfully built 6-foot, 205-pound frame, Carter, who won high school and college slam dunk contests, has shaken defenders and leaped for acrobatic catches on a regular basis this summer.

He wowed the crowd in Mankato with what would have been a punt return for a touchdown in a joint practice with the Kansas City Chiefs. But his first real score came when he took a 6-yard pass from Jackson in a 17-10 victory Aug. 19 over the Pittsburgh Steelers. He finished with two catches for 48 yards .

If Carter makes the team, Vikings fans could be cheering again for No. 11 this season. Carter never asked to wear the number of former quarterback Daunte Culpepper, but he's had some fun with it.

Carter and Jackson, who wears No. 7, amused teammates when they started calling themselves "7-11" during Friday's game against Baltimore.

"When you see stuff like that where guys can enjoy it and have fun, you definitely want to cheer for them," veteran receiver Marcus Robinson said. "I would like to see (Carter) make the team. He's a young guy just out there making plays."

Marcus R. Fuller can be reached at mfuller@pioneerpress.com.

NordicNed
08-27-2006, 07:33 AM
If you ask me, Carter has already earned his spot on the team.....if he does get cut, I'll be very very shocked....

FedjeViking
08-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I like the way their having fun with the 7-11 thing. This shows a team spirit of working together. But I hope it doesn't lead to the kind of attitude there was with Moss and Pep.

FedjeViking
08-27-2006, 10:51 AM
"ForceOfNorse" wrote:

Hell No, He's not AC's son!!!!
AC wouldn't be caught dead in Texas!!!
hahahaha

That's correct! For those who doubt.....

From Jason Carter college bio: http://www.aggieathletics.com/bios.php?YOS=2005&SID=MFB&PID=12

PERSONAL: Jason Edward Carter is the son of Laquita Carter of Caldwell, Texas … born Sept. 15, 1982 … majoring in agricultural & life sciences.

From Star Tribune: http://www.startribune.com/510/story/627783.html

As Carter goes through training camp, his only brother is in California getting ready to return to Iraq this fall. Jason and Matthew Carter were raised in Texas by their mother, Laquita, who supported the close-knit, three-person household.

Anthony Carter's son is Anthony Carter Jr.
Anthony's wife is Kim: http://www.bridges4kids.org/articles/10-02/FREEP10-12-02.html

Braddock
08-27-2006, 11:08 AM
See, when one door closes (K-Rob) another one opens.... Cheer up my friends. Our team of the future has arrived. Choo choooooooo jump on the superbowl train.