PDA

View Full Version : Vikings sign CB's

vikings minnesoulija
09-14-2004, 04:42 PM
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP) -- The Minnesota Vikings added a pair of cornerbacks Tuesday, signing Terrance Shaw and Ralph Brown.

LAVike
09-14-2004, 04:52 PM
I don't know much about them, but it does give the Vikes some depth. The Associated Press reported that Shaw started 87 out of the 125 games he's played (Oakland and Carolina) and Brown started 10 of 36 with the Giants. Hopefully they'll help and there will be no more injuries.

VikingsTw
09-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Yeah i think the terrance shaw is a good pick up i'm gonna do a little research on him in a little while. He must fit what we do defensivly and hes a vet hes knows what to do. I wonder why he didnt sign with someone else before the season.

Kleinsasser40
09-14-2004, 10:18 PM
I want one of them to start in place of Rushen, even though we won the game, if we would have lost it would have been his fault and his fault alone.

rjkvikings
09-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Looks like some pretty good pickups considering the position we're in.

VikingsTw
09-15-2004, 01:18 AM
Yeah it sounds like there was some other teams tryin to get both of them, shaw was released because there was to much young talent in Carolina, and Brown was released by the redskins, some people found it shocking they released him.

Hopefully one of these guys can step up for kenny between the two of them somebody will start as the 3rd CB. They both have NFL experience so thats a plus especailly Shaw.

Kleinsasser40
09-15-2004, 01:52 AM
"vikingstw" wrote:

Yeah it sounds like there was some other teams tryin to get both of them, shaw was released because there was to much young talent in Carolina, and Brown was released by the redskins, some people found it shocking they released him.

Hopefully one of these guys can step up for kenny between the two of them somebody will start as the 3rd CB. They both have NFL experience so thats a plus especailly Shaw.

sounds good to me :thumbright:

hawaiianvike21
09-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Hate to be pessimistic or anything but tice is signing a bunch of scrubs off the street. Now im hoping both brown and shaw make me eat a plateful of crow but they arent really that great and are just a bunch of eric kellys running around.

I remember seeing terrance shaw most notably getting burned while he was with the raiders. Doesnt bode well if everyones going to pass on us.

I sure do hope they prove me wrong however.

VikingsTw
09-15-2004, 03:34 AM
Well i dont know about scrubs i mean Shaw has started for alot of teams and alot of different years he's better than what we have right now. Kelly had confidence issues and i dont think Shaw has confident issues, cause if he did he wouldn't have put up the decent #'s for 10 years. Hes an upgrade from what we have. I really like rushen but hes got to get it together metally. If he comes out next game and coms down and just plays his game i think he can be our 3rd CB. If he cant handle it we will just have to go with the flow.

AngloVike
09-15-2004, 07:44 AM
"hawaiianvike21" wrote:

Hate to be pessimistic or anything but tice is signing a bunch of scrubs off the street. Now im hoping both brown and shaw make me eat a plateful of crow but they arent really that great and are just a bunch of eric kellys running around.

I remember seeing terrance shaw most notably getting burned while he was with the raiders. Doesnt bode well if everyones going to pass on us.

I sure do hope they prove me wrong however.
Well scrubs they might be but, given Rushen Jones show on Sunday, then we have nothing to lose by bringing them in. Shaw was only released by Carolina due to there being younger players available - so he's not a complete waste. If they only fill in when we use the nickel package then thats an improvement

whackthepack
09-15-2004, 10:14 AM
From what I have been gathering over the last few days is that Shaw is a good 3rd or 4th corner and has the experiance to step in and play, but he is not a top flight corner.

Brown has the skills to be good but hasn't lived up to expectations.

Hopefully they can play well enough to give us the backup we need.

With what's available at this time of year at least it is something.

sitandbehitski
09-15-2004, 10:31 AM
Nothing lost if they suck, alot gained if they don't, 'nuff said.

Del Rio
09-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Shaw has played for 10 years:
95-99 Chargers
2000 Miami
2001 NE
2002-2003 Oak

He has gone to two superbowls as a starter, He started almost every game in his carreer and has avoided injuries well. He has 10 Int's to his name.

Seems like a good pick up to come in and at least give an effort.

Brown has played 5 years:
NYG: He's only played a full sixteen games one year. I don't know if it was because of injury or being like 2nd or third string.
He has 3 ints to his name and one sack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One interesting note is Ken Irvin has played the same ammount of years as Shaw and has the exact same number of Interceptions.
He played 95-2001 with buffalo
and 2002 with NO
then finally landed here in 2003

I think Shaw will be a great replacement for Irvin. As long as he can pick up the D fast. He is an experienced Vet, so he should be a great fit.

muchluv4smoot
09-15-2004, 12:37 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Shaw has played for 10 years:
95-99 Chargers
2000 Miami
2001 NE
2002-2003 Oak

He has gone to two superbowls as a starter, He started almost every game in his carreer and has avoided injuries well. He has 10 Int's to his name.

Seems like a good pick up to come in and at least give an effort.

Brown has played 5 years:
NYG: He's only played a full sixteen games one year. I don't know if it was because of injury or being like 2nd or third string.
He has 3 ints to his name and one sack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One interesting note is Ken Irvin has played the same ammount of years as Shaw and has the exact same number of Interceptions.
He played 95-2001 with buffalo
and 2002 with NO
then finally landed here in 2003

I think Shaw will be a great replacement for Irvin. As long as he can pick up the D fast. He is an experienced Vet, so he should be a great fit.

Brown actually started in the giants/vikes game last year and played pretty well against us.

I see tice has said that right now our nickel guy is rushen jones and that either rhett nelson or earthwind moreland(a practice squad guy) were gonna fight for the dime spot. I guess that means neither vet is expected to be ready to play this monday? That sucks if neither guy is ready to play against the eagles.

I also read that Tice said he still wants to bring derek ross back, when he finally gets healthy, which is something I agree with. If ross gets healthy and comes back, we would be very deep at CB.

ADubya26
09-15-2004, 10:57 PM
On VikingUpdate, it says that Shaw and Brown will see action on Monday night

hawaiianvike21
09-15-2004, 11:04 PM
OK good its encouraging to see you guys prove me wrong with these two cbs as i hope they do but i still think they are scrub cbs that could be continously burned come monday since well they are really new to the franchise and dont have cottrells schemes down.
But im hoping they are the answer to our injury problems so we dont have to think about it for awhile but im not convinced YET that they are the answer. Time shall tell.

whackthepack
09-16-2004, 11:22 AM
CB is one of the positions were a vet can come in and pickup the schemes fairly quickly. With the experiance that both Shaw and Brown have they should be able to play on Monday and they will not be covering TO and should be able to hole their own against the 3 or 4th receiver.

I like them better than the options we had prior to picking them up, and Shaw's quote in the paper today was good. He said one of the reasons he decided to sign with the Vikes is that they like to hit and I love to hit.

josdin00
09-16-2004, 02:44 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

CB is one of the positions were a vet can come in and pickup the schemes fairly quickly. With the experiance that both Shaw and Brown have they should be able to play on Monday and they will not be covering TO and should be able to hole their own against the 3 or 4th receiver.

I like them better than the options we had prior to picking them up, and Shaw's quote in the paper today was good. He said one of the reasons he decided to sign with the Vikes is that they like to hit and I love to hit.

It seems we have a reputation developing thoughout the league, and it's finally a good one to have. A lot of the media types have talked about the fact that the Viking's secondary likes to make the big hit, and I heard a bunch of that even before the big hits on Meshawn.

little redhead
09-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Well I like one thing I read that Shaw said. He was talking about why he signed here and it was an article on how physical and hard hitting Winfield and Brian Williams are and he said he came here because he likes to Split Heads so it sounds like he appreciates the hard hitting and solid tackling atmosphere that we have with our corners. So it makes me kind of excited to see if he delivers.

Jarhead
09-16-2004, 05:39 PM
That's exactly what we didn't have in Denard Walker. He was a little too much like Deion 'can't tackle' Sanders.

muchluv4smoot
09-16-2004, 06:01 PM
"hawaiianvike21" wrote:

OK good its encouraging to see you guys prove me wrong with these two cbs as i hope they do but i still think they are scrub cbs that could be continously burned come monday since well they are really new to the franchise and dont have cottrells schemes down.
But im hoping they are the answer to our injury problems so we dont have to think about it for awhile but im not convinced YET that they are the answer. Time shall tell.

Well according to tice, there were a bunch of teams trying to sign both CB's, so scrubs might be a bit harsh. Besides, we have 2 scrubs at CB already, in rushen jones and rhett nelson, so it can't really hurt us.

hawaiianvike21
09-16-2004, 11:24 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:

Well according to tice, there were a bunch of teams trying to sign both CB's, so scrubs might be a bit harsh. Besides, we have 2 scrubs at CB already, in rushen jones and rhett nelson, so it can't really hurt us.

where did you read that a lot of teams were going after these guys??? I have got to see that part. :lol:

True on the part of jones and nelson, well nelson anywayz, jones is a decent player but he just got thrust into a starting role not knowing what to do and being nervous as hell in his first ever game. I'd give him more time to see what he can before calling him that. JOnes didnt play that much last year and doesnt have much experience but for some reason i see some promise in this kid.

Del Rio
09-17-2004, 08:43 AM
I read it on NFL.com on the Tice quotes and press conferance notes. I'm not sure where he read it, but he did indeed say he was proud of his scouting guys because these two corners were on the top of everyone's list and the fact that we got them first while they were being activley pursued by other teams is a credit to our organization.

Now just because they were being actively pursued by other teams doesn't mean they are great it means they were the best of what was left.

muchluv4smoot
09-17-2004, 10:21 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I read it on NFL.com on the Tice quotes and press conferance notes. I'm not sure where he read it, but he did indeed say he was proud of his scouting guys because these two corners were on the top of everyone's list and the fact that we got them first while they were being activley pursued by other teams is a credit to our organization.

Now just because they were being actively pursued by other teams doesn't mean they are great it means they were the best of what was left.

Yeah, I read it at vikings.com in Tice's interview.

Not saying they were great because others were after them, but I am saying they aren't scrubs either, if they were wanted by that many teams. Maybe we have a different meaning of scrub. But keep in mind that these 2 guys aren't being brought in to start. They are gonna be our 3rd, 4th, or 5th CB. If you were assessing them as starting caliber CB's, then yes I would probably call them scubs in that respect, at least brown, I think shaw could actually do as god of a job as irvin in a few starts. But we are evaluating these guys for nickel and dime CB's, and they aren't by any means scrubs at those positions.

It sounds like shaw really looks good in practices so far, so we should see him on MNF. Tice keeps talking about how fast brown is. I wonder how fast he really is, and if he has any experience returning kicks? We need some speed at kick returner and probably shouldn't have our current starting RB returning kicks. I did notice mewelde moore was returning punts, and not howry, which I agree with. I don't understand why we kept howry then, instead of nelson or danielson. They were better receivers than howry. Unless howry was hurt for the game and I didn't know about it?

But again, keep in mind that I am not calling these guys great CB's, but they are experienced CB's that have shown they can play in the NFL, and that is something we can't say about jones and nelson.

PS: I could be wrong hawaiian, but I think that was jones first time ever in an NFL game. I believe he was a practice squad player last year and don't think he ever made the active roster last year, could be wrong though. So I do understand that he needs some time before we truely know how good he can be for us. I haven't liked what i have seen from him last preseason, this preseason, and in week 1, so that is where I am coming from. I mean watching someone like brian williams in his first preseason, I could tell that he was eventually gonna be a damn good CB. I just don't see anything like that when I watch jones play. Hope he proves me wrong though.