PDA

View Full Version : Packers



ItalianStallion
09-13-2004, 10:27 PM
I gotta say, they are looking pretty good on both sides of the ball. Of course it doesn't hurt that the Panthers are sucking up the place. Delhomme can't react to a blitz if his life depended on it.

RandyMoss8404
09-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Their defense is based entirely on blitzes. Against teams with good offensiv lines, that'll get them burned.

Big Daddy
09-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Looks like Carolina is going to be a one year wonder, just like theBears after they went 13-3.

PacNWVike
09-13-2004, 10:51 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I gotta say, they are looking pretty good on both sides of the ball. Of course it doesn't hurt that the Panthers are sucking up the place. Delhomme can't react to a blitz if his life depended on it.

Fav'ray is working his magic...

sdvikefan
09-13-2004, 10:52 PM
Packers o-line is doing an awesome job. If the Carolina front 7 is having that much trouble with them and stopping Ahman Green, we will probably struggle with that too.

sdvikefan
09-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Well they got something there...damn, 3 guys on Proehl and none on Muhammad? Not smart...

jackyl
09-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Barnett is a badass.

sdvikefan
09-13-2004, 11:07 PM
"Big Daddy" wrote:

Looks like Carolina is going to be a one year wonder, just like theBears after they went 13-3.

Way too early to say that I think. There's still 15 games left. Remember how crappy New England did on their opener last year?

LosAngelis
09-13-2004, 11:19 PM
I agree the blitzes are not going to work all season. Teams will game plan those.

But, you know how an offensive line makes a quarterback look good? Ahman Green makes this good offensive line look great.

vikings_fan66
09-13-2004, 11:28 PM
I think the pack looked very strong in the opener. They will still be a very good team and more than likely it will be a battle for the divisoin title again.

muchluv4smoot
09-13-2004, 11:48 PM
"vikings_fan66" wrote:

I think the pack looked very strong in the opener. They will still be a very good team and more than likely it will be a battle for the divisoin title again.



I have been one of the few people on here, saying that I think the pack will be right there with us, as some of the top teams in the NFC and maybe NFL.

Their o-line dominated, just like last year. They can flat out run on anybody. Favre didn't look great, but he did what he had to do.

Like LA said, that blitzing every play D, will work on nobody else. I don't understand why it was so hard for the panthers to adjust to it? I would like to see how the pack do against a team that forces them out of the blitz, before I say there D is good. It did look better than expected though, I will admit. But I think it was a combo of them playing good and the panthers stinking up the place. Hawthorne looks bad out there and we could pick on him all game long with robinson. Batman also made some obvious rookie mistakes.

The panthers have a lot of problems, especially with their O-line. They can't run block for crap and carolina can't move the ball if they can't run. Throw in the fact that steve smith's injury looked pretty bad, they could be well on there way, to being another super bowl team, that sucks the next year. But I agree that it too early to tell that. I have been saying all offseason, that the panthers were one hit wonders, and this game makes me feel a little more confident in that prediction.

kramer9guy
09-13-2004, 11:50 PM
Holy cow, the Panthers sucked! Their defense was simply ugly. Their offense was a joke. If this game and history mean anything, 2004 = bad season for Carolina.

RandyMoss8404
09-13-2004, 11:53 PM
Steve Smith broke his fibula, out indefinately :(

Tough little receiver, I like him.

GBFan
09-14-2004, 01:37 AM
Pack lost Grady Jackson for about 4-6 weeks. Ouch. That hurts our defense greatly. RB's will pound through the middle now that Grady won't be there to stop them. Crap.

casper
09-14-2004, 02:02 AM
"vikings_fan66" wrote:

I think the pack looked very strong in the opener. They will still be a very good team and more than likely it will be a battle for the divisoin title again.

From What every one has said the Pucker show some good stuff...cool and As you say VF66 it is always a battle for the title in the Black and Blue Division :lol:

Good game :cheese: :pukeright: Dam I hate when that happens ](*,) good luck with you next easy game with Chitown windy :fart: boys at home

Why don't we have a easy schedule like the chesse men :?:

hawaiianvike21
09-14-2004, 04:19 AM
Running game looked for them and nearly cost me a win in ff. :evil: TOo much ahman green. :angryfire:

silvermane
09-14-2004, 05:05 AM
looks like slowik wasn't kidding about being more aggressive. haven't seen that much blitzing in a long time. but i like the way the packers played the game offensively. they ran the ball well and stuck to what was working. they got superb blocking from the line and ahman green is just too hard to catch once he bursts through the hole.

outcast316
09-14-2004, 07:03 AM
Wow watching the news here in wisconsin.....why don't they give farve 12 men to follow him around and call him Jesus...and while they are at it might as well call the Packers the 2004-2005 superbowl champs. :roll:

packmanxxxi
09-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Inpressive showing, but its only one game. Both the Vikings and Packers have stuff to work on, both on defense, and both have significant injusries on defense. It's going to be a great season!!!

A Packers Viking game with the Vikings quick atrike offense and the Packers pounding offense to keep em off the field.... Can you wait??

Anyway, even I didn't expect this.... have a great day everyone...

Del Rio
09-14-2004, 07:23 AM
That was a great game for the Pack. Once again Favre shined in the spotlight and his passes still have some zip to them. The D fence was awesome. Granted they wont be able to blitz that much all the time, but that was the aggression I wish we showed. Coming to the ball and not waiting for it to come to you.

I know it was game 1, but that was total domination. They really took advantage of Jake's inexperience and a patchwork O-line.

On offense I wasn't surprised. I think Carolina is still one of the best Defenses in the league and that is a testament to GB.

Gonna be a black and blue year for sure.

sitandbehitski
09-14-2004, 08:35 AM
All I can say is, Shit, the Pack's gonna be tough to beat again. I have a bad feeling their gonna ruin my christmas. Oh well, at least if they try that blitzing crap on us, we'll burn them like Daunte burned the cowgirls, but that Pack Offense is looking mighty fine. Double Shit.

whackthepack
09-14-2004, 09:07 AM
whackthepack wrote:
Pack vs Carolina


I am picking Carolina will win 23-14 as the Carolina front line will be chasing Favrah around the backfield most of the game, Ahman Green will have a good night and run for a 100 yards and a TD, but Favrah will have 175 yards and 1 TD, 2 INT (1 for a TD) and be sacked 4 times.




The Pack played better than I thought they would, but you have to admit that Carolina looked bad!!!

Ahman had 119 rushing yards 2 TD, 1 receiving TD
Favre had 143 yards passing 1 TD (to Ahman) 2 sacks

Carolina killed themselves with turnovers, and their offense & defense looked pathetic.

Not ready to hand the division to you yet.

Did like LB Bennett (he played a good game), but you are blitzing a lot and that can come back to haunt you with the wrong team.

superior230bartime
09-14-2004, 11:37 AM
"casper" wrote:



Why don't we have a easy schedule like the chesse men :?:

Since the Packers and Vikings basically play identical schedules, please explain what you're complaining about.

sitandbehitski
09-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Plus, how do you explain playing a team that went to the Superbowl at their stadium on MNF as easy? Suuuuuuuurrrrreeeee.

Del Rio
09-14-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm sure the D cord will not blitz like that all year. Pepper and Manning will eat that up.

But for the team they played last night I thought that was a brilliant Defensive strategy. And they contained the run big time.

Yeah the Pack has just as hard a go around as we do.

VKG4LFE
09-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Smith's leg/ankle area looked nasty on the replay!! All bent in the wrong places and stuff!!

UTVikfan
09-14-2004, 01:37 PM
I am bummed about Steve Smith. He is from the U of Utah. I am a fan of his. So it goes. The Pack looked great. I hate to say it but they did. And of course it took Madden to bring up the thumb again. I like Madden, but somedays, LOL. It will be FUN to see if the Pack plays an aggresive game like that against us. One game, us or the Pack is no real measure. Philly atm is exciting, but still can't wait til the Vikes head to Lambeau. Especially after the Packs game yesterday.

ItalianStallion
09-14-2004, 01:41 PM
WE play essentially the same teams this schedule. Personally the way our schedule is set up with monday against indy then an SUPER-short week against GB on friday, meanwhile GB gets two weeks to gameplan, is a little unfair. But I am not about to use that BS for an excuse. Every team in the NFL is tough, some not as much, but still...

Big C
09-14-2004, 01:54 PM
I thought both teams looked horrible in the first half. It was either the offense was bad on both teams in the first half or the two defenses were too good. In the second half though, Green Bay's offense took over. The key to beating the Panthers though was to simply shutdown the running game. GB did that nicely and Carolina imploded.

As long as Favre and Green are healthy the Packers will be a playoff contender. Davenport's injury could be a telling blow in to the season too. Only glaring concerns of theirs would be their WRs and CB (at least carrol). The GB WRs really didn't stand out (like years before). I think the most talented WR they had was Glenn and he's now a Cowboy.

LosAngelis
09-14-2004, 02:45 PM
Personally, I know I could sit and argue this with you as Carolina being a stronger opponant than the Cowboys, but you know what?

It doesn't matter a bit who you play, how much you win by, or how good you look doing it.

We're going to play the lowly Bears next week. If we win, it counts as a W. You're going to play the NFC showdown next week against the Eagles. if you win, it will count as a W. Nothing more, nothing less. The only people you will impress are the TV guys, and they really don't matter.

I kind of thought Carolina had a soft schedule last year, and to be honest, if Philly didn't have such an emotional hangover from 4th and 26, I think the Eagles should have won. So, I really don't see the Packer victory as anything more than the Viking victory at this point. We're both 1-0.

packmanxxxi
09-14-2004, 04:05 PM
Both 1-0, and last night proved nothing more than this division is not a cake walk for either team, barring unforseen injuries. The Lions are 1-0 too. I think its exciting. Considering the Pack and Vikes don't play till either team is in their prime, imagine the excitment the games will bring.....

whackthepack
09-14-2004, 04:18 PM
"packmanxxxi" wrote:

Both 1-0, and last night proved nothing more than this division is not a cake walk for either team, barring unforseen injuries. The Lions are 1-0 too. I think its exciting. Considering the Pack and Vikes don't play till either team is in their prime, imagine the excitment the games will bring.....


My God, Packmann I can finally agree with you on something!!!!!

VKG4LFE
09-14-2004, 05:09 PM
Packer fans, do you think you will do that much blitzing all year long? Do you think it will sting you at all during the season against a better offensive team? I am just wondering your feelings on it!

vikingsalltheway
09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Packer fans, do you think you will do that much blitzing all year long? Do you think it will sting you at all during the season against a better offensive team? I am just wondering your feelings on it!

Yeah their coordinator sure blitzes alot but it did do them good last night. I have to give the packers credit when it is due but i cant give them too much credit without puking. :lol:

VKG4LFE
09-14-2004, 05:13 PM
"packmanxxxi" wrote:

Both 1-0, and last night proved nothing more than this division is not a cake walk for either team, barring unforseen injuries. The Lions are 1-0 too. I think its exciting. Considering the Pack and Vikes don't play till either team is in their prime, imagine the excitment the games will bring.....

Excellent point packmann. It all will depend on injuries at that point!

vikingsalltheway
09-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Yeah but Detroit will be out of the race by the time we play green bay. With the loss of Rogers i dont see them doing much, 7-9 for the lions. Packers might go 9-7 or 10-6 but i think we will take the division with 11-5. What do you think VKG?

VKG4LFE
09-14-2004, 05:39 PM
I think the vikes will be right around 11-5 and 10-6. I think we could have losses to Philly, Green Bay (1 only like usual), Indy, possibly Seattle, and then one or two where we should probably win. 11-5 would be a good year and hopefully a #2 seed. The NFC seems kind of down if you ask me, which would help us. But it's so early to tell, ask me after about 8 weeks!!

vikingsalltheway
09-14-2004, 05:41 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I think the vikes will be right around 11-5 and 10-6. I think we could have losses to Philly, Green Bay (1 only like usual), Indy, possibly Seattle, and then one or two where we should probably win. 11-5 would be a good year and hopefully a #2 seed. The NFC seems kind of down if you ask me, which would help us. But it's so early to tell, ask me after about 8 weeks!!

I think we can beat Seattle, we beat them last year but Tennessee woorys me even when they are coming to our house. Yes indy and philly on the road are huge games we need to win.

packmanxxxi
09-14-2004, 06:03 PM
I think the Packers will blitz alot- yes, especially with Jackson out. QB's like Manning should eat that apart. However, if the O line can grind out drives and keep the D on the field as little as possible, it should prevent the opposing QB from getting into a rythem.

I think the Pack will lose 2 games this year directly due to the defense, but considering what happened last year vs KC and Philly (twice) its still an improvement. They arent good enough NOT to blitz, so its worth the risk. Delohmme had close to 300 yds passing, but NO running game, so the pack offense had the ball alot.

I think its exciting and fun to watch. Will they get burn. ABSOLUTLY. However, anything it better than last year. And as the year goes on, the corners will get better. Its all still new. I hope they stick to flying to the ball.

BTW- it was nice to see Viking fans give credit where credit was due. Makes this site fun.

By the time the Pack and Vikes play, these teams will know where they stand. Will the Packers STILL be blitzing? WHo knows, they face some amazing QB's. Just having them THINK about the blitz however, is a victory.

vikingsalltheway
09-14-2004, 06:06 PM
"packmanxxxi" wrote:

I think the Packers will blitz alot- yes, especially with Jackson out. QB's like Manning should eat that apart. However, if the O line can grind out drives and keep the D on the field as little as possible, it should prevent the opposing QB from getting into a rythem.

I think the Pack will lose 2 games this year directly due to the defense, but considering what happened last year vs KC and Philly (twice) its still an improvement. They arent good enough NOT to blitz, so its worth the risk. Delohmme had close to 300 yds passing, but NO running game, so the pack offense had the ball alot.

I think its exciting and fun to watch. Will they get burn. ABSOLUTLY. However, anything it better than last year. And as the year goes on, the corners will get better. Its all still new. I hope they stick to flying to the ball.

BTW- it was nice to see Viking fans give credit where credit was due. Makes this site fun.

By the time the Pack and Vikes play, these teams will know where they stand. Will the Packers STILL be blitzing? WHo knows, they face some amazing QB's. Just having them THINK about the blitz however, is a victory.

The pack will lose more than 2 games this year. They will lose at least 5 or 6 games maybe 7.

VKG4LFE
09-14-2004, 06:06 PM
I didn't realize Delhomme had that many yards! Wow. Alot was on that last drive, well at least probably about 50-60.

packmanxxxi
09-14-2004, 06:09 PM
vikingsall theway... i didnt mean 2 games total.. i meant 2 games totally because of the Defense... I think the pack is an 11-5 team.. division champs

vikingsalltheway
09-14-2004, 06:11 PM
"packmanxxxi" wrote:

vikingsall theway... i didnt mean 2 games total.. i meant 2 games totally because of the Defense... I think the pack is an 11-5 team.. division champs

No its up for grabs between the vikings and packers this year.

go_pack88
09-14-2004, 06:21 PM
As tough as this may be to admit, vikingsalltheway is probably right. Green Bay and Minnesota both looked damn good in they're openers, and its definately going to be a toss-up this year. Nothing like last year where it came down to one play, but I definately think that it will come down to at least a couple of games. It's going to be tough for the Pack this year, and its even tougher now that someone else in the NFC North has stepped up and now poses an equal challenge, because two years ago, that wasn't the case.

VKG4LFE
09-14-2004, 06:22 PM
Another realistic packer fan!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Jer
09-16-2004, 01:39 PM
I am a little worried that we will be careless with our blitzes. I am curious to see how we react when opposing offensive coordinators know whats coming and plan for it. We've been exposed on a national stage that is MNF so we need to make proper adjustments before the other team gets a chance to-which is the Bears. Keep the blitzing, but put more fakes in there to confuse the inexperience Rex Grossman.

about the teams playing each other in their prime-I don't like playing a divisional opponent week one because its better when the storylines have been written and we get to see a more intense game. By the time we play each other we will all know who is or who isn't having a good season (player wise). I didn't know a thing about Brian Russell week one last year. Go Packers!

muchluv4smoot
09-16-2004, 04:59 PM
"Jer" wrote:

I am a little worried that we will be careless with our blitzes. I am curious to see how we react when opposing offensive coordinators know whats coming and plan for it. We've been exposed on a national stage that is MNF so we need to make proper adjustments before the other team gets a chance to-which is the Bears. Keep the blitzing, but put more fakes in there to confuse the inexperience Rex Grossman.

about the teams playing each other in their prime-I don't like playing a divisional opponent week one because its better when the storylines have been written and we get to see a more intense game. By the time we play each other we will all know who is or who isn't having a good season (player wise). I didn't know a thing about Brian Russell week one last year. Go Packers!



Truth is, the vikings fans didn't know much about brian russell in week 1 last year either.

I agree though, that it sucks when we play each other early in the year, before we really know how good either team really is.

I do wonder how in the world you guys will be able to blitz against the colts and vikes? It really doesn't work against good smart QB's that like to audible. Maybe you guys will just show like your blitzing a lot of the game, but hardly ever blitz, just to throw the QB's off. It will help, if MM returns to last years form and plays for you guys. You shouldn't have to blitz as much, and if you do, you won't have hawthorne back there trying to cover someone 1-on-1.

I have said all offseason that both the pack and vikes will be near or at the top of the NFC this year, and after watching week 1, my mind hasn't changed a bit. Long way to go though.

josdin00
09-17-2004, 08:49 AM
"Jer" wrote:

about the teams playing each other in their prime-I don't like playing a divisional opponent week one because its better when the storylines have been written and we get to see a more intense game. By the time we play each other we will all know who is or who isn't having a good season (player wise). I didn't know a thing about Brian Russell week one last year. Go Packers!


Then you would love to be a Vikings fan this year. The Viking play 5 of their 6 division games in the second half of the season. They play the Bears in week 3 in Minnesota, but after that, the next division game isn't until week 10, when we travel to Lambeau. Starting that week we have:

Week 10 - @ GB
Week 11 - vs Det
Week 13 - @ Chi
Week 15 - @ Det
Week 16 - vs GB

Which really puts the Vikings in control of their fate with the tie-breakers in the second half. It should also work to prevent the second half swoon that all my co-workers seem to think the Vikings will have this year. The NFC North teams always play eachother well, so there should be no emotional let-down from this team this year.