PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Sign LB...

UndisputedVike
08-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Jason Glenn...and Release Punter John Torp.

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/vikings/?p=72

Hehe nope not Jamie Sharper, but adds depth.

Del Rio
08-17-2006, 10:03 AM
I'm glad they took a step to replace chad on special teams. I have been saying it was probably a hit on our ability to cover kickoffs when he went down.

It says he is a solid special teamer so sounds like a good move.

COJOMAY
08-17-2006, 10:07 AM
From the article...

Glenn, a special teams star last season for Miami, provides more linebacker depth following the season-ending loss of rookie Chad Greenway.
A blogger writes...

Played nine games with Miami and registered NO tackles, in fact, didn’t put up a stat in any category. The year before that, 3 tackles. Hmmm. So maybe “star” isn’t the right word.

2beersTommy
08-17-2006, 10:16 AM
"Del" wrote:

I'm glad they took a step to replace chad on special teams. I have been saying it was probably a hit on our ability to cover kickoffs when he went down.

It says he is a solid special teamer so sounds like a good move.

The way they covered against the Raiders..they better look for more than just 1 player.

Del Rio
08-17-2006, 10:20 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

From the article...

Glenn, a special teams star last season for Miami, provides more linebacker depth following the season-ending loss of rookie Chad Greenway.
A blogger writes...

Played nine games with Miami and registered NO tackles, in fact, didn’t put up a stat in any category. The year before that, 3 tackles. Hmmm. So maybe “star” isn’t the right word.

I imagine the blogger looked him up on ESPN or NFL.com
I don't think they count your Special teams tackles in the stat field. I know in the 2005 Vikings media guide there are two different sections for tackles and a players in game action at their position and special team stats are totally different.

COJOMAY
08-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Could be Del -- I just thought his reply was funny.

Del Rio
08-17-2006, 10:26 AM
In fact the blogger is wrong he recorded 12 tackles last season on special teams, and 1 tackle during the playoffs. So 13 tackles on special teams last year. Solo tackles.

To put that into perspective Cris Walsh averaged about 11 tackles a season on special teams.

marcosMN
08-17-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't know much about the guy, but it's good that they're making the moves they need to do so we're not stuck with our a$s hangin' in the breeze.

Mr. Purple
08-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Eh whatever, hopefully he can be that "special teams star!" he supposivly is.

Prophet
08-17-2006, 11:18 AM
It's a good thing the coaching staff reads PP.O.
What would they do without us giving them direction?

Why is this in offseason?
It's onseason baby.
This area should be shut down unless you want me to post a bunch of 2007 mock drafts.

2beersTommy
08-17-2006, 11:21 AM
please do post..i'd love to see what the site gurus have to say
:o

Prophet
08-17-2006, 01:18 PM
KFFL
Vikings | J. Glenn signed
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:43:22 -0700

Vikings.com reports the Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent LB Jason Glenn (Dolphins) to an undisclosed contract.

DaVizzles
08-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Who?? Jason Glenn what a crappy signing they need to sign D-Sharps bro Jamie Shaper

olson_10
08-17-2006, 01:35 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

adding random schmos doesnt improve your depth..you have to add quality in order to help out ur team..hes here for special teams purposes only, but he doesnt add to LB depth in any way at all

Freakout
08-17-2006, 03:42 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"UndisputedVike" wrote:

adding random schmos doesnt improve your depth..you have to add quality in order to help out ur team..hes here for special teams purposes only, but he doesnt add to LB depth in any way at all

So by that same logic losing Greenway was no big deal,
Considering 90% of his play time would have been on special teams.

Prophet
08-17-2006, 04:00 PM
"Freakout" wrote:

"olson_10" wrote:

"UndisputedVike" wrote:

So by that same logic losing Greenway was no big deal,
Considering 90% of his play time would have been on special teams.

That makes minimal sense.
In the simplest of terms the team consists of offense, defense, and special teams.
All three need to be good for the team to compete at the highest level.

MensaTice
08-17-2006, 04:04 PM
"DaVizzles" wrote:

Who?? Jason Glenn what a crappy signing they need to sign D-Sharps bro Jamie Shaper

PurplePride.org:
Accept no substitute!

canadian_vikes_fan
08-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Well, I guess he'll replace Greenway on special teams, and he'll probably do a better job too, so that's a positive. Greenway's injury won't hurt us that much unless EJ gets hurt. Then, we'll be screwed with whoever is the new backup. Hopefully we're not done signing - as soon as Greenway's placed on the IR, we'll have another roster spot to sign another LB, maybe even Sharper.

VikesfaninWis
08-17-2006, 06:05 PM
I still think the Vikes will sign another LB.. Who, I have no idea..

gregair13
08-17-2006, 10:04 PM
he can be our new wedge buster so we do not have to use our star first round draft picks.

Del Rio
08-18-2006, 06:36 AM
I would be surprised if the Vikes sign another LB. There is still depth there. They just have names that aren't recognized.

Braddock
08-18-2006, 03:04 PM
"gregair13" wrote:

he can be our new wedge buster so we do not have to use our star first round draft picks.

Yeah, now they won't have to use T-Will as the wedge buster. sweet

MensaTice
08-18-2006, 03:41 PM
"Del" wrote:

I would be surprised if the Vikes sign another LB. There is still depth there. They just have names that aren't recognized.

But..but...but... if some 15 yr old hasn't heard of them, they can't be good.