PDA

View Full Version : Overall Assessment Of The First Game

COJOMAY
08-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Summed up in a few words, not great -- not bad!
Things I liked:
+ I loved the lack of penalties by the Vikes. They showed good disclipine. That was a problem last year.
+ I thought the first team defense was great. I particularly liked the rush from the outside. Lineback play looked pretty soild.
+ TJ was a pleasant surprise. I was especially surprised by his running ability. This kid is gonna be good. Well heck, he's good now.

Things I didn't like:
+ I was disappointed in the offensive line blocking. I expected so much more from the running game.
+ The punt and kick return blocking stunk.
+ Cross O'Sullivan off the list.

All in all, I was impressed with several things and I think with some more work the Vikes will prove to be a formatible team. I'm not so worried now if BJ goes down although it would still be a big problem. To me they look like what I expected and I still think they will be about a 9-7 or 10-6 team this year.

BadlandsVikings
08-14-2006, 11:45 PM
1 O'Sullivan sucks
2 Jackson should be #2 QB
3 A win would have been nice, but I was impressed how Childress didn't want to wear people out by going into ot.
4. Cornheiser sucks.
5. Who hasn't heard about the boat yet? http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/2.gif

Freakout
08-14-2006, 11:49 PM
I agree with everything you said.

Jackson impressed me.
I had a feeling he could be good but he looked like a 2nd year player out there.

Ray Edwards sack was very nice, Offord came up with the TD saving tackle, and whoever #57 was probally gave himself a big chance at making the team.

vikes4lyfe
08-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Jackson was great there. He should be the #2 QB.

mnjamie
08-14-2006, 11:51 PM
"Freakout" wrote:

I agree with everything you said.

Jackson impressed me.
I had a feeling he could be good but he looked like a 2nd year player out there.

Ray Edwards sack was very nice, Offord came up with the TD saving tackle, and whoever #57 was probally gave himself a big chance at making the team.

McKenzie ... University of Minnesota product.
Showed alot more energy tonight than he ever did playing for the Gophers though ....

;D

shockzilla
08-14-2006, 11:53 PM
1 O'Sullivan sucks - Agree 100%. Buh-bye.
2 Jackson should be #2 QB - Agree 100%.
3 Much-improved discipline.
4. Cornheiser sucks - Agree 100%.. As a matter of fact, the whole broadcast team sucks. Boring as HELL!
5. Got REALLY sick of hearing about all the off-field issues with the Purple last year. Over. And Over. And Over. And Over.
6. Nice to see Childress challenge that Mewelde Moore non-fumble.
7. First-team defense looks REALLY good.

Purple_Hope
08-14-2006, 11:54 PM
I expected more from the run as well. O'Sullivan made me laugh out loud a few times. #57 (McKenzie?) and a lot of the other young defensive 2nd and 3rd stringers looked good. Tavaris looked awesome. I was impressed.

PurplePeopleEaters
08-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Here's my list:

Positives:
- Tarvaris Jackson- The kid plainly tore it up tonight. It may be against 2nd and 3rd stringers but I was quite impressed. My friend who knows nothing about the NFL remarked that we will probably see him in a year or two as a starter.
:)
-Defensive Line- Great penetration. Aaron Brooks didn't know what had hit him.
-Secondary- Good game for the secondary as well. When our starters were in, Brooks had no where to get the ball apart from the one Moss catch. Dwight Smith looked great.
-Ben Leber- I've doubted this guy a lot but from what I saw I was really impressed. Props to Ben.

Negatives:
- Special Teams- Kluwe and Longwell were OK but our coverage and return game (other than Kasper) was horrible. Not a bright spot..
-Mewelde Moore- What happened to him? He was lower on the depth chart it looked like that Ciatrick and couldn't run against 3rd stringers. Nice...
-JT O'Sullivan- Better than Shaun Hill but sorry man, you're gonna get cut. Good effort though especially avoiding the sacks and such.

COJOMAY
08-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Crips, for all they talked about Moss I think Corn-holer is as in love with him as Madden is with Favre. The bad things is, we gotta go through this again the opening regular season game!

whackthepack
08-14-2006, 11:56 PM
I was most disappointed in the 1st string O-line play, I expected some better run blocking.

I thought both Chester Taylor and Fason were flat and unimpressive and I thought the best back of the evening was MeMo and I hope that Chester starts exploding off the ball a bit.

FedjeViking
08-14-2006, 11:56 PM
Overall I thought it was a very good game for a preseason game. Neither side was playing their best, but the Vikes looked like they were having fun playing together.

There were good plays...a couple of interceptions, a good review on a challenge, good defense.

It's coming together. I like it! ;D

Ltrey33
08-14-2006, 11:57 PM
What the hell was Childress thinking at the end of the game?! Going for the touchdown from the 20 with 7 seconds left?!?!?! This guy is our new coach? Way to go Zygi! Terrible hire... ::)

;D Just kidding!!

Anyway...here's my assessment:

Positive:
The first team offense looked good. They moved the ball methodically and efficiently and we ran the ball pretty well too. I hope what we saw tonight is what we see all season.

Tarvaris looked really good.

The defense played really well. The D-line got some good pressure a few times, and the two field goals that the starting offense scored against them were both because of great field position from a fumble and a kick return. Both of them were three and outs.

Negative:
Special teams. Kasper had a great return, but Williamson's fumble to start and the big kick return we gave up were both ugly. Add Greenway's injury to that list and you have a bad night. (It was good to see Longwell knock a 40 yarder though)

JT O'Sullivan. I seriously think his hair was short at the beginning of the one play, but by the time he got done holding the ball it was shoulder length.
::)

morphius
08-14-2006, 11:58 PM
The first thing one would have to remember is that this is their second game with their new O and D, and this was your first, so I wouldn't take much of it with more importance then a grain of salt.

I noticed on one short yardage play the left side of your OL just completely blew the Raiders off the LoS for an easy first down.
TRich also looked good out there as well.
I also really enjoyed the fact that your DL pretty much out matched their starters, and then when your backups came in early their starters still were unable to move on you. The second round draft pick QB looked very comfortable back there.

ST obviously needs some work, sadly my Chiefs need a lot of work here as well.

Really I thought your team looked solid.
Of course the Raiders may be one of the worst teams in the league this year, but overall I really liked the way your team looked and thought your teams depth looked pretty decent.

Sorry about your first rounder, injuries in preseason suck!

mnjamie
08-15-2006, 12:02 AM
"Purple_Hope" wrote:

I expected more from the run as well. O'Sullivan made me laugh out loud a few times. #57 (McKenzie?) and a lot of the other young defensive 2nd and 3rd stringers looked good. Tavaris looked awesome. I was impressed.

Kyle McKenzie
Ht: 6-1 Wt: 235
Position: LB
Date of Birth: 2/5/1983
Experience: R
High School: St. Martin De Porres HS
(Detroit, MI)
College: Minnesota

Biography:
How Acquired: Signed as an undrafted free agent following the 2006 NFL draft.

Contract Status: Vikings Contract Chart

Analysis: A three-year starter who also saw action with the first team as a freshman. Recorded 56/4/1 as a senior after leading the team with 79 tackles during his junior campaign. A solid camp prospect who fits the team’s scheme as a Cover-2 linebacker and is at his best if he is covered up and able to play off the ball and flow toward the action. Will struggle at the point of attack. Might have some practice squad potential. Vitals: 6003/228, 17 reps, 4.53-4.79 (40-yd), 35.5 VJ, 9-6 BJ, 4.70 short-shuttle, 6.77 three-cone.

Personal: His uncle is former Buffalo Bills and Seattle Seahawks guard Reggie McKenzie and his brother is former NFL defensive end Keith McKenzie.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=8&c=1&nid=2542738

BadlandsVikings
08-15-2006, 12:02 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Crips, for all they talked about Moss I think Corn-holer is as in love with him as Madden is with Favre. The bad things is, we gotta go through this again the opening regular season game!

He's in love with Moss, and he can't get of the boat.
>:(

vikinggreg
08-15-2006, 12:06 AM
Well JT does suck, but McMahon was nothing special

Tarvaris was impressive, first time I've seen him play and I want to see more.

Brad look calm and cool back at the helm and he can get it down the field

D'line was outstanding, love the pressure they caused, can't wait to see Pat back in the middle

Where were the first half penalties, this and TJ made my night, nice to see the holding and false starts not kill a drive

Special teams and the running game need some work but overall and excellant 1st preseason game with new staff and players.

I want more now the wait is over

Purple_Hope
08-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Why's everyone bashing Cornheiser? You'd rather listen to Madden ramble about ... nothing?

VikingsTw
08-15-2006, 12:10 AM
First thing that came to my mind when they said Williamson was back to return the kick was "WTF is he doin back there". That should most definitly be Mewelde Moores job. Williamson is not a kick returner he's our #2 WR.

First team defense dominated, D-Line was nasty, when u have three first round draft pics on the line this is what u want to see. LB play was solid, leber looked good along with Harris who for once didn't look lost. Hopefully MLB is his nitch. Greg Blue did some nice things, needs to work on his open field tackling but he definitly puts his head in there, good off the edge. C. Grifith is a football player, a future starting corner. Ray Edwards looked explosive, kinda gives us an idea why we let johnstone go. If Dontarius Thomas got cut and Farwell made the team you wouldn't see me complaining.

The running game is gonna take some time, its not a snap your finger type deal. Before the years end, baring any injuries i think we'll see the offensive line consistently blocking for our RB's. The pass protection is day and night compared to the run blocking. Koren looks good, so does williamson, Tavaris and Brad looked sharp.

Specail teams coverage was no good, we did well in this department last year. Needs lots of work. Kluwe looked good, nice to see him come back strong from a serious injury like that.

All in all lots of good things and lots of things to work on. They'll learn alot from this game.

PurplePeopleEaters
08-15-2006, 12:10 AM
"Purple_Hope" wrote:

Why's everyone bashing Cornheiser? You'd rather listen to Madden ramble about ... nothing?

I didn't think Kornheiser was that bad either. He speaks his mind instead of being a talking head and he's also entertaining. I like that in an announcer. The other guys on the ESPN crew though... yikes.. BORING.

shockzilla
08-15-2006, 12:11 AM
"Purple_Hope" wrote:

Yep.

oddmanout22287
Loved TJ, the first team offense, the d-line, and our secondary.

The special teams look REALLY shaky, T-Will's fumble was silly and I was a little dissapointed Longwell missed that FG.
Also, the O-line didn't look that great, the running game was pretty dissapointing imo.

purpleFavreEaters
Great move by Childress!!! Not going into OT

thevikingfan
08-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Speaking of announcers kornhiser wasnt bad but the guy i hate the most is starting for fox this year.
Joe Buck.Yea the asshole who made it seem like moss killed someone when he pretended to moon the fudge packers.

gregair13
08-15-2006, 12:17 AM
i thought the first team offense did very well. you cannot really assess the defence against such a horrible QB in aaron brooks.

Purple_Hope
08-15-2006, 12:22 AM
I thought Johnson had a good first quarter. It looked like he had plenty of time behind that solid o-line. Still, wish there was more of a running game ... only time will tell. Was hoping to see more of Greenway, hope he's not hurt too bad. But not a bad NFL debut by another fellow Hawkeye in Kasper (#17).

Braddock
08-15-2006, 12:51 AM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

He's in love with Moss, and he can't get of the boat.
>:(

He wasn't as bad as that sideline reporter LaToya, is that her name??????? She just wouldn't drop it and I'm glad Smoot just handled it maturely and went on. We will be good, and I think the fans know it, the media will start to recognize it, and the team is starting to believe it. And when the team fully commits to it, it will be amazing!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOh I'm so excited I want to move to MN right now, even if it means living with a hermit.

Rastak
08-15-2006, 01:01 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Summed up in a few words, not great -- not bad!
Things I liked:
+ I loved the lack of penalties by the Vikes. They showed good disclipine. That was a problem last year.
+ I thought the first team defense was great. I particularly liked the rush from the outside. Lineback play looked pretty soild.
+ TJ was a pleasant surprise. I was especially surprised by his running ability. This kid is gonna be good. Well heck, he's good now.

Things I didn't like:
+ I was disappointed in the offensive line blocking. I expected so much more from the running game.
+ The punt and kick return blocking stunk.
+ Cross O'Sullivan off the list.

All in all, I was impressed with several things and I think with some more work the Vikes will prove to be a formatible team. I'm not so worried now if BJ goes down although it would still be a big problem. To me they look like what I expected and I still think they will be about a 9-7 or 10-6 team this year.

Man, exactly what he said......

cajunvike
08-15-2006, 01:14 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

I didn't think Kornheiser was that bad either. He speaks his mind instead of being a talking head and he's also entertaining. I like that in an announcer. The other guys on the ESPN crew though... yikes.. BORING.

F*** Kornholer!
He is no Cosell...heck, he couldn't even carry Cosell's hernia brace!!!

michaelmazid
08-15-2006, 01:20 AM
T. Jackson is gonna be a pimp in this league

T. Williamson does not look good. Hindsight, i still would have picked him over M. Williams since williams sucks but troy needs to step up.

V-Unit
08-15-2006, 02:45 AM
Offense:
The running game was unacceptably bad. Chester's stats show it but it was not his fault. He has no holes whatsoever to run through. They looked like the line from last year and that is pathetic considering we added Hutch, Birk, Hicks, and Richardson. Giving the ball to Richardson for the TD was old school, and even though I'm a member of the new school, I loved the playcall.

The passing game was solid and efficient, but typical uneventful WCO passing. I don't think our receivers have the talent to come down with some of those jump balls we put up. I really wanted Jones to make that touchdown grab but it just got away. Speaking of getting away, Robinson had a touchdown in his hands and just dropped it, as did Stephen Jackson.

Thank god its preseason.Offensive game ball has to go to Jackson, because no one else really did anything. Johnson was solid and I'm glad he's our starter.

Defense:
Other than a few long plays from an offense that has explosiveness but no consistency, our defense played amazing. They did great with short fields, got to the QB, broke up passes, caused turnovers, swarmed to the ball, I could go on and on. If this continues it will be tough to run on us.

Brooks was so bad that we really didn't get a chance to look at the starting secondary. Great plays by Fox, Offord, nice hit by Blue, and Mckensie made two plays, but I'm not ready to jump on the bandwagon yet. It's a tough call but I would have to give th game ball ot the entire DLine. Great run defense, Edwards showed speed, and when I saw Udeze and James meet at the QB, I felt as if I was looking 5 years into the future.

Special Teams:
Someone already said it...What the hell was Williamson doing on KR duty. I don't care that he dropped it because he should not have been there in the first place. With all the talk of new offense and defensive systems, apparently I forgot to notice that our Special Teams sucks. Bad returns and bad coverage. I cannot blame Longwell for missing a 55-yarder, but he has certainly made that kick in the dome before. Kluwe gets the game ball. He looked great! Cut Torp now! I love the Kluwe bomb!

Uniforms:
I have been back and forth on this, and I'm switching one more time, they are ugly. I like small things about them but not the whole outfit together. I think the main problem is that there is too much white. Also, the jersey matches the helmet and the pants match the shoes and socks, but the jerseys and pants don't match at all. I see them making minor changes in the future, kind of like the Patriots did with their uni's.

If they made the white stripes on the jersey gold, and then had the gold lead down into the purple on the pants, it would look much better.For the away jerseys you would keep the purple stripe and have it lead into a gold stripe on the pants. Are you fashion desingers taking notes?

Broadcast:
Overall it was interesting and I didn't find myself moaning as much as I do with Madden. They had absolutely nothing to talk about, so talk about our mired history was expected. Even when they did talk about it, they stressed the theme that it was all in the past and that we were moving forward with a new regime. For all the rants of Kornheiser, nobody cared to mention that Theisman picked us as his bet to make the playoffs. They could have easily went, "Johnson is old and injury-prone blah blah blah" but they didn't. They chose to stress that he was experienced, a Super Bowl Winner, and a perfect fit for our offensive situation. That was a very pro-viking telecast and they were much more harsh on the raiders. I did however hate the Smoot interview. Trying to get him to admit things about the scandal on national TV is classless.

Our new logo looks great on the helmets but dumb everywhere else.

Overall we looked good with obvious room for improvement. I am confident that this is a playoff team, and that we will be ready for Week 1 @ Redskins.

AngloVike
08-15-2006, 04:12 AM
I'll add my two pennyworth based on the various reports on PP.O and elsewhere etc that I've read as I didn't see the actual game to make direct judgements.

Offense
I'll cut the OL some slack at this time, learning a new blocking scheme needed for the WCO isn't something that is going to come together just based on two weeks of TC. Once the moves and scheme becomes instinctive then things will gel better. When you add a new LG and a RG (Hicks) - who was playing on the left side before with the eagles - then things won't just fall sweetly into place. Thing now is that they have some proper game film to analyse and see where things were breaking down, so good opportunities there to improve things quickly

TJ - he sounds very promising and not fazed at steooing up to the Pro's. If he keeps at this level then he will get to #2 quickly and be ready should Brad get injured.

WCO seems to be working so far at least, it may be uneventful but I think is something that this team can do well and play good football.

Defence
Potential loss of Greenway sucks but I believe we have the players that can make up for that. Hopefully he will be back but we'll have to wait and see what the MRI today comes back with. Our D-Line sounds nasty and that they were getting pressure on the QB - great and something to look forward to every play that they are on the field. I like the sound that they were swarming to the ball as well - this has the makings of a strong group which is something not seen in Minnesota for awhile. Course there is a long way to go but the early indications are promising.

Special teams
Sounds like they had a poor game, that is something that needs to be addressed and quickly and get TW off KR duties !! Thats not why we drafted him !
Kluwe sounds like he was back to form and a 50 yd average for punts is great indeed- excellent !

Coaching
Sure that Childress would have like to start with a win but like the fact of going for the 'win or bust' option at the end of the game. He appreciated it was pre-season and no need to be looking for OT, like he said they'd seen enough plays for what they needed. Bearing in mind that he probably has goals for each game then there's nothing to be gained by trying to over-reach.

Overall - sounds promising and the players will only get better as they analyse their play, rectify it and put it into play over the remaining preseason games. Like what I've read and heard so far

UndisputedVike
08-15-2006, 04:12 AM
Ok well...I see things a little different.

The Good:
- Pressure, we got alot of pressure, first and second team, 5 sacks is a great feat for a team getting used to a new system.
- 1st team defense, overall they looked great, they had Brooks confused and they'll get even better.
- Mewelde, ok if he can stay healthy...he could beat out Taylor, the way Mewelde was running was rather impressive.
- Cedric Griffin, what can I say 1 pick and the kid can hit he layed a few nice hits, he might beat out Smoot for the job at starting left corner.
- Tarvaris Jackson, he looked very efficent and very aware of what was going on around him, looked solid he was very impressive.
- O'Sullivan, Ok I don't get why everyone is bashing the guy, on some plays he looked very good and he avoided 3-4 sacks on one play, which was amazing, the problem was the receivers were not coming back to him and he tried to do to much, and he also drove us down the field on the last drive.
- Leber/Farwell/McKenzie, these 3 played some great sound football, Leber is starting we know that but I hope to see the other 2 more.

Bad:
- O-Line, looked kind of stingy to me and we really didn't run the ball that well with Chester.
- Greenway Injury, Quite possibly lost for the season, I hope not but, doesn't look good.
- Greg Blue, terrible cover saftey and looked sluggish, might beable to lay a hit but...I hope he never gets stuck covering a deepball again.
- McMahon, ok this guy is useless he plain and simple is terrible, O'Sullivan out played him and our rookie did aswell, I smell a cut coming.

Not to much bad but what worries me is what we all thought would be our dominate spot, the O-Line especially since McKinnie has the bone break in his wrist and they didn't play to well, not up to expectation atleast.

Vike_Fanatic
08-15-2006, 04:55 AM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

1 O'Sullivan sucks
2 Jackson should be #2 QB
3 A win would have been nice, but I was impressed how Childress didn't want to wear people out by going into ot.
4. Cornheiser sucks.
5. Who hasn't heard about the boat yet? http://bestsmileys.com/hitting/2.gif

100% agreed!

Benet
08-15-2006, 04:58 AM
I only saw the first half because the live feed I was streaming online was, frankly, piss-poor, and at 2.30am I have no patience, even for my beloved Vikings, when Mike McMahon is single-handedly sucking the life out of me. Anyway, I have to agree with everyone else, the run game just wasn't there last night. Hopefully this is something that can be rectified in practice or with my game time. It was worrying to see Chester run to the left of our O-Line and only come up with 1 or 2 yard gains. On the other hand, our starting defence looks awesome. The front seven especially look dominant. I remember in the lead-up to the draft Robert Gallery was described as one of the greatest college O-Linemen in history, someone who had only given up a handful of sacks in his entire collegiate career. Well, Erasmus made him look like nothing out there. The Oakland pocket was consistently collapsed, and we would have had more sacks in the first quarter if Brooks didn't throw it away a couple of times. Brad Johnson looked cool, calm and collected in the pocket, making the throws and doing what he had to do. And the first-team offence eventually put a decent drive together and got a TD, which is really all I look for in pre-season. If the first-team offence can get a TD against the opposing first-team defence, then I'm happy. If the backups can get it done and gain the win, that's fantastic, but I'm not gutted if they don't.

cogitans
08-15-2006, 05:11 AM
Sadly I fell asleep at halftime. But then it's good that I can go here and use your eyes in retrospect to get an assesment of how the rest of the game went.

What I did see in the first half were pretty much what a lot of you have allready said. I did especially like how the defense did. They had some good stops, also in the redzone. It will be exciting when they go op against some better offenses.

The first team offense look fine. The running game will get better, and this could become a pretty dangerous team.

Vike_Fanatic
08-15-2006, 05:16 AM
Positive:
-I think that BJ and TJ at the QB position did great
-Starting recievers looked sharp
-Defensive line did GREAT
-LB's did pretty good as well...no big runs let through
-It was nice seeing Griffin make a big play
-I liked most of the decisions Childress made(not the draw on 3rd and long though)
-pass blocking from the OL

Negative:
-Run blocking from the OL.

-I was really disappointed with the running game, but it might have been because of the extra blitzers
-O'sulivan,OMG, he doesn't even deserve a vikings hat.
He means nothing to anyone and I want him out. He reminds me of brett favre ;D
-Childress letting O'sulivan play-acually letting him even have the privilege of witnessing a vikings game!

Redrouster
08-15-2006, 06:11 AM
I only watched the first quarter and a little od the second because it came on at 4 in the morning here. Here are my grades for the first stringers:
QBs: B
Offensive line:
B
Backs: B
Receivers: B+
Defensive line: A
Defensive Backs: B-
Special Teams: D+
Agree/Disagree

carolinafan
08-15-2006, 06:50 AM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

T. Williamson does not look good. Hindsight, i still would have picked him over M. Williams since williams sucks but troy needs to step up.

???
How can you make that assessment about TW.
He played one freakin quarter, about 11 total plays, he caught one pass and was interfered with on another.
No dropped balls.
The Vikes ran the ball about 6 or those 11 plays.
You guys kill me with these stupid assessments.
I guess Moss really sucked.
He had one catch.
The only conclusion to be drawn from last night is to be thankful for Johnson, and the O line needs much work.

Benet
08-15-2006, 07:07 AM
"Redrouster" wrote:

I only watched the first quarter and a little od the second because it came on at 4 in the morning here. Here are my grades for the first stringers:
QBs: B
Offensive line:
B
Backs: B
Receivers: B+
Defensive line: A
Defensive Backs: B-
Special Teams: D+
Agree/Disagree

I'd disagree with your grade for the O-line. Or at least break it down and give them a B for pass blocking and a D for run blocking. Other than that I'd say you're spot on.

Del Rio
08-15-2006, 07:13 AM
The hit on Tavaris Jackson was illegal. That being said if he continues to play like that he will get killed. He needs to get low and preserve his body.

I saw 3 normal Stunts and 2 advanced stunts. The defensive Tackles were slow getting off the ball. The Defensive ends were very fast and were containing very well.

O'Sullivan needs a haircut, and needs to learn how to throw the ball away, and pass, and pretty much anything a good QB can do.

The Raiders are very undiciplined. The Vikings are VERY diciplined.

As far as the offensive line goes I wouldn't worry about them. Overall it was a preseason game, nothing to write home to mom about. Hopefully Greenway is ok, he made a hell of a save on special teams.

If I had one concern about the entire game it is that our special teams coverage was horrible. It should improve but it has a long way to go.

VikesfaninWis
08-15-2006, 07:30 AM
I think it went well.. If it weren't for that idiot JT O'Sullivan, we would have pulled out the win..

TJ will be 2nd string before regular season starts..

O'Sucksalot will be cut..

1st team defense looked great..

Chester Taylor looked dogged when running (anyone else see this?)

singersp
08-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Is Bevell serious or is Loney still there? The running game was not working for them, yet on many occassions, 3rd & 9, 3rd & 7 (twice I belive) & on others, they chose to run the ball? WTF?

O'Sullivan - get him out of there. I've been saying that all off-season.

T-Jack looked good. I would love to see him get an opportunity with the starting unit this preseason.

The new cheerleaders & uniforms look great at less than a foot awawy.

singersp
08-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Positives and negatives from the Vikings' first game
(http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/08/minnesota-vikings-preseason150806.html)

singersp
08-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Vikings vs. Raiders stats (http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN)

At approx. 2 yards/carry on our running game, a lot of work needs to be done. It's definitely not what I expected with the improved line.

I'm glad to see Kluwe back ay 100% of his former self.

singersp
08-15-2006, 08:10 AM
Ciatrick Fason: Vikings No. 2 Running Back (http://www.rotowire.com/roto_to_gnews.htm?ID=104896&sport=nfl)

8/14/2006 11:11:21 PM

Update:
Fason has passed Mewelde Moore for No. 2 on the depth chart at running back. He rushed for 15 yards on seven carries and was the second back to enter Monday's preseason game after starter Chester Taylor. "But we continue to roll those guys," head coach Brad Childress told the Minneapolis Star Tribune. "We evaluate them every night."

Recommendation:
Fason was viewed as more of a short-yardage back, so this is somewhat of a surprise. Still, we'd expect Moore to be the second option once the season begins and perhaps he wasn't Monday because he's being used more on special teams as a punt returner. Whatever the case, boost Fason up your cheatsheet a bit.

Del Rio
08-15-2006, 08:17 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings vs. Raiders stats (http://www.nfl.com/teams/stats/MIN)

At approx. 2 yards/carry on our running game, a lot of work needs to be done. It's definitely not what I expected with the improved line.

I'm glad to see Kluwe back ay 100% of his former self.

That's exactly what I would expect out of a WCO. I don't think the line allowed Brad Johnson to get touched once, not even close did they?

singersp
08-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Posted on Tue, Aug. 15, 2006

Results mixed at best (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15275675.htm)

Childress debuts with close loss

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Greenway leaves game with knee injury
New broadcast trio makes its debut on ESPN
View photos from the Vikings-Raiders game
A memorable night started with a forgettable play.

A national audience tuned in Monday night as Brad Childress made his debut as Vikings coach, and receiver Randy Moss returned to the Metrodome for the first time since being traded to the Oakland Raiders.

But Childress and Moss immediately were upstaged.

On the opening kickoff, Oakland safety Jarrod Cooper leveled receiver Troy Williamson at the Vikings' 18-yard line, and linebacker Ryan Riddle recovered the fumbled ball, enabling the Raiders to take 3-0 lead. At the end of the game, Childress passed up a 39-yard field-goal try to avoid overtime, and the Vikings lost 16-13.

"It's amazing in football how the first play of the game affects the last play of the game," Childress said. "We should have been lining up to kick for the winner there."

In their first game under Childress, the Vikings turned in a decidedly mixed performance. The starting defense dominated, forcing the Raiders' starting offense to go three-and-out three times. The Vikings' No. 1 offense had a blasé first quarter, although it did patch together a solid eight-play, 56-yard touchdown drive. And the special teams struggled early before settling down as the game progressed.

But the Vikings didn't reach their ultimate goal of coming out of the game without injury. Linebacker Chad Greenway, their top draft pick, suffered an injury to his left knee in the first quarter on a kickoff return, although he left the field under his own power.

Heading into the game, Moss' return was one of the main stories.

As the first player introduced before the game, Moss received a warm ovation, with many fans rising to salute him, some wearing No. 84 Viking jerseys, some wearing No. 18 Raiders jerseys.

But Moss was not a factor, catching just one pass for 16 yards.

Childress for his part admitted he was nervous, but he added that he has always felt that way before a game.

"It's nice to look at the panorama," Childress said of the sellout crowd of 63,278. "But you have to get back on task."

As the play-caller, Childress watched his offense go three-and-out on the first series. But Childress showcased his version of the West Coast offense, featuring the traditional quick passes with a lot of inside runs. While the ground statistics weren't impressive, the Vikings' offense faced a Raiders front that often committed eight defenders to stopping the run.

"It doesn't concern me at all," fullback Tony Richardson said of the modest rushing yards. "We still have three more games before we really have to get this thing off the ground."

On their scoring drive, running back Chester Taylor ran the ball four times for 9 yards, including two first downs. Williamson got some redemption when he drew a 19-yard pass interference penalty on cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. On the next play, Taylor bolted in front of Richardson, who bulled his way 3 yards into the end zone for a touchdown that gave the Vikings a 7-3 lead.

"I don't think you'll see that too much," Richardson said. "That's why they pay Chester the big bucks. With Steve (Hutchinson) and Matt (Birk) blocking, I think coach Childress could have run that one in."

After that score, the Vikings' special teams made another mistake when Raiders cornerback Chris Carr broke a 60-yard kickoff return to the Vikings' 38-yard line. The defense forced a third consecutive three-and-out from the Raiders' starting offense, but kicker Sebastian Janikowski easily nailed a 55-yard field goal to cut the Vikings' lead to 7-6.

That was when the Minnesota starters left the game.

The highlight of the first half was the play of Vikings rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. He showed poise, athletic ability and, of course, that cannon of an arm. Jackson scrambled for 9 yards on his second play, and he just missed connecting with tight end Richard Owens on a long pass.

With 31 seconds left in the first half, Jackson led the second-string offense on an excellent drive. Starting at the 32, Jackson keyed the drive with a 10-yard scramble on which he broke a sack attempt by defensive end Kevin Huntley and hurdled linebacker Danny Clark.

Jackson then completed his next two passes for 27 yards, setting up a 41-yard field goal.

Jackson wasn't the only rookie who made some plays. Second-round pick Cedric Griffin, a cornerback, intercepted a pass, and fourth-round pick Ray Edwards and fifth-round pick Greg Blue each got a sack.

A couple of other highlights for the Vikings: Receiver Kevin Kasper returned a kickoff 64 yards, and Farwell was active on special teams and on defense, making several tackles and even tipping a pass. In addition, former Gophers linebacker Kyle McKenzie forced a fumble that the Vikings recovered in the fourth quarter.

"There are a ton of good things to work on," Childress said. "But I know when I turn that tape on, there will be some other things."

RandyMoss8404
08-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Derrick Burgess got a hand within three feet of Brad on one play before McKinnie forced him way, way outside, but that's as close as they got.

I'm still hyped about Action Tarvaris Jackson. Boy looked good.

singersp
08-15-2006, 08:20 AM
"Del" wrote:

That's exactly what I would expect out of a WCO. I don't think the line allowed Brad Johnson to get touched once, not even close did they?

How is a 2 yard average per game going to help you win ball games, even in a WCO?

jdvike
08-15-2006, 08:23 AM
The defense looked great...I loved the way they were collapsing the pocket on almost every play.

Linebackers played pretty well....I hope Greenway will be ok....we need him even if its for depth only.

Defensive backfield first teamers did a great job...the rest of the group was dicey at best...too many long pass plays connected in the second half.

Good O-line play is something that takes time...each player needs to know how the other one plays and it takes time to become a cohesive unit....It will come.

The runningbacks.... in particular Chester Taylor...was unimpressive but you cant run when there is no holes...hopefully he will look better when the line looks better...time will tell.

Wideouts had too many drops...K-Rob and M-Rob both dropped a pass or 2 and I dont see anyone complaining about them like some of you are talking about T-Will...Troy will be OK but it sometimes takes 3 years for a wideout to really break out....and Troy came from a run oriented offense so he is even more raw then most of the WR coming out of college....I suspect the lack of love toward Troy is a result of some wanting BMW or DJ etc.

Quarterbacks...BJ looked solid...he should do fine in this offense.
Jackson.....What can I say but ......WOW....some of the older Viking fans should remember the way Daunte looked in his first preseason games.....the expression " a deer caught in the headlights" comes to mind....Jackson is grace under pressure...the kid looks like Vick running... but a REAL quarterback when he's passing....I'll say this one more time......WOW... his future is so bright...he better wear shades
8)
Mike Mac just plain sucked he looks completely lost out there....if anyone should be cut right away its Mike.
O'Sullivan didnt look that bad to me...he moved the team down the field and had good touch on the ball and showed decent pocket presence...except for the one time he was chased out of the pocket and didnt throw the ball away and got called for grounding......dumb dumb play...but I would chalk that up to lack of game time experience.....he looked alot better than Mac but that isn't setting the bar very high.
I see Jackson as the number#2 QB from here on out....number 3 is ???

Tightends...I dont recall them throwing to Wiggy of K-Sauce...but we all know what they can do.

Special teams is just flat awful...our kick and punt coverage was pathetic....Kasper had a couple nice returns but for the most part unimpressive.
Kluwe...welcome back....he is going to be a big key for our team...if our offense continues to struggle...our defense will have to get the job done.....and Kluwe giving the opponents a long field on every kick will definitely help.
Longwell looked good except for the 50+yarder he missed.....he kicked it plenty long....but wide right...he will be fine.

Childress looked composed and on top of things...not bad for a rookie...unlike Mr Tice who after several years still looked lost most of the time....the lack of penalties is a direct result of a more disciplined team....thanks to B-Chill...I liked what I saw and I love the fact that he didn't want to take the game to OT...it show he cares more about his team then the win.....NICE!

Kornholler sux he knows nothing about football....that was evident when he asked the guys to explain the silent count to him......Dennis Miller was better than Kornholer and Miller blew huge chunks.
Kornholer was just looking to dig up dirt....hes a writer not an analyst...I find it hard to believe they couldn't find anyone better to do the job....I don't like Madden but I found myself missing him, when listening to Kornholer....geez I hope I can find a radio station to listen to without much delay because these guys were painful to listen to.

We didnt win the game but I saw alot of positive things in this game...once the offensive line gels we could be a good team sooner than later.

Just my 2 cents.

Del Rio
08-15-2006, 08:26 AM
"singersp" wrote:

How is a 2 yard average per game going to help you win ball games, even in a WCO?

I'm not sure how to answer. 2 yards is better then no yards? I mean it's a passing system so if you get yards from the run it's a bonus.

Plus how long did our starting line play? Like 1 quarter? So if your going to get stuck on averages your wasting your time. Even good running teams do not average 6 yards a carry consistantly they will get 2 then 3 then 2 then 7 then break one for like 32. That happens over the course of the game. SO I think the average is the least of our worries at them moment.

People are expecting this smashmouth football team that is going to run and it isn't going to happen folks. Hutch was picked up to protect Brad Johnson from getting his neck broken. I expect if many of you expect Robert Smith numbers your going to be sorely dissapointed.

singersp
08-15-2006, 08:38 AM
"Del" wrote:

I'm not sure how to answer. 2 yards is better then no yards? I mean it's a passing system so if you get yards from the run it's a bonus.

Plus how long did our starting line play? Like 1 quarter? So if your going to get stuck on averages your wasting your time. Even good running teams do not average 6 yards a carry consistantly they will get 2 then 3 then 2 then 7 then break one for like 32. That happens over the course of the game. SO I think the average is the least of our worries at them moment.

People are expecting this smashmouth football team that is going to run and it isn't going to happen folks. Hutch was picked up to protect Brad Johnson from getting his neck broken. I expect if many of you expect Robert Smith numbers your going to be sorely dissapointed.

I'm not expecting big numbers from the run game, but I am expecting to get 3-4 on average as a team, such that 2 runs could yield 3rd & short.

Del Rio
08-15-2006, 08:43 AM
"singersp" wrote:

I'm not expecting big numbers from the run game, but I am expecting to get 3-4 on average as a team, such that 2 runs could yield 3rd & short.

We may well have averaged 3-4 yards over the course of an entire game. Granted the few runs we tried did not go well, but when you only do a handful a small mistake can look much bigger.

singersp
08-15-2006, 08:48 AM
"Del" wrote:

We may well have averaged 3-4 yards over the course of an entire game. Granted the few runs we tried did not go well, but when you only do a handful a small mistake can look much bigger.

True. I'm also thinking that Childress wasn't showing his hand on all the run plays he has in mind for the regular season.

Most of the runs were to the left side, as expected. I don't recall seeing any going to the outside.

Prophet
08-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Everything was pretty much said that I was going to say.
I loved the long offensive drive that ate up the clock and resulted in a Richardson TD.
It has been so long since I've seen something like that executed from the Vikings I think I might have cried.
I also loved how the first and second string defense made Aaron Brooks look like, um, like, um, like Aaron Brooks.

The special teams didn't earn the word special, more like the pathetic teams.
Lot of work needed there.

I agree with others that Tarvaris appears to be a lock for 2nd stringer before too long if he continues along this track and the others suck as bad as they do.
I also agree that he will be killed if he continues to run like he has been.
He also tends to telegraph his reads to the defense and was lucky that a few didn't get picked off.
It's his first game and he looked incredible considering that.
O'Sullivan should be stoned in public, he makes Aaron Brooks look intelligent.

It was strange to have a coach on the sideline that gave the appearance of someone that has the capability of contemplating an action.

Overall, I thought the Vikings are well on their way to learning a new system considering all the coaching changes and it's the first preseason game.
They have a few more weeks to gel before going to the Capitol for opening weekend.

countrygirl
08-15-2006, 09:25 AM
"shockzilla" wrote:

1 O'Sullivan sucks - Agree 100%. Buh-bye.
2 Jackson should be #2 QB - Agree 100%.
3 Much-improved discipline.
4. Cornheiser sucks - Agree 100%.. As a matter of fact, the whole broadcast team sucks. Boring as HELL!
5. Got REALLY sick of hearing about all the off-field issues with the Purple last year. Over. And Over. And Over. And Over.6. Nice to see Childress challenge that Mewelde Moore non-fumble.
7. First-team defense looks REALLY good.

Couldn't agree more. Somebody yank out their tonsils. PLease!

marcosMN
08-15-2006, 09:59 AM
??? Am I the only one wondering why anyone would have anything negative to say about the Vikes last night, besides special teams? I agree with Del Rio. 2 yards is better than no yards. We moved the ball. With one quarter's worth of playing tme, I think one TD is acceptable. The D is looking solid, and will only get better.

Maybe the Greenway injury is a blessing in disguise. Now there will be no pressure on the staff to get Chad in there, so our best-preforming dudes can stay in and do their thing.

All-in-all, I saw exactly what I wanted to see last night: A team that was better than last year's cluster screw. They were disciplined, methodical, and I had a great time watching the game.

Mr. Purple
08-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Its weird but it was a good loss.

Positives:
*Defense- looked sharp and quick.They also looked like they knew what they where doing.
*Offense-They drove the ball down field and scored, cant get better then that.The running game will come with repitition.The more and more Taylor touches the ball, the more he'll rack up.
*T-Jack-Looked nothing short of great last night.Making moves with his feet (looking like Vick I might say) and leading the team down the field.If it wasnt for Stephen Jackson ( the new FB) T-jack would have thrown himself his first NFL TD.

Negatives:
*Special Teams-Looked bad on both returns and kickoffs.Not getting the tackles down field, led to some of Oaklands points.

Really special teams is on the only area I feel we lacked in last night.Troy's fumble was not good and could have really hurt us in a regular season game.I think Childress is afraid to put K-Rob on ST yet, cuz he wants to make sure we dont have someone else who can get the job done.

All in all...good loss Vikes,D looked crazy good.Cant wait till September!

marcosMN
08-15-2006, 10:09 AM
p.s. Greg Blue is a bad-a$s. ;D

Rastak
08-15-2006, 10:10 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

p.s. Greg Blue is a bad-a$s. ;D

Man, he got smoked on that TD.....

marcosMN
08-15-2006, 10:32 AM
"Rastak" wrote:

Man, he got smoked on that TD.....

:-\ True,
but he's a rookie, and that sack he had was sweet. In short, kid's gonna be good. You've gotta expecxt a couple mistakes, but he's got a sh!t ton of potential.

Rastak
08-15-2006, 10:34 AM
"SnoBumMN" wrote:

:-\ True,
but he's a rookie, and that sack he had was sweet. In short, kid's gonna be good. You've gotta expecxt a couple mistakes, but he's got a sh!t ton of potential.

Yea, although the guy that most impressed me of the rookies was Cedric Friffin...I thought he had a very good game.

sleepagent
08-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Boy, I came away very impressed with the disipline of the new team under the new coaching.
My hat is off to what appears to be a cohesive team now.

What can you say about T-Jack except "Did Michael Vick play or was it Randall Cunningham?"

The offensive scrubs playing towards the end of the game didn't look good, but I was pleased with 1st and 2nd team players.

There is hope in Vikings land, but I not convinced we are there yet.
Let's see what happens here over the next few weeks . . . and . . . enough with the injuries already!

NodakPaul
08-15-2006, 10:43 AM
My thoughts on the game:

Metrodome
- The “On the Field” announcers are a good idea, but they need to work on the audio a bit more.
They kept getting feedback across the PA System.
- One thing sadly missing from the Metrodome public announcer’s repertoire was the way they used to call first downs. Last year we were treated to:
Announcer: And that’s another Minnesota Vikings…
Crowd: FIRST DOWN!!!
At the game, the announcer never gave the crowd a chance to get into it.
Sometimes he rushed it and sometimes he reworded it so crowd interaction was impossible.
I hope they bring the old way back.
- Why aren’t we introducing the starting lineup?
I like the whole team concept and all, but I like being able to cheer for each of the starters as they are announced.
- On a plus side, the replays on the screen were awesome.
When there were close calls that were called in Oakland’s favor, there were no less than 5 or 6 views shown on the big screen to help Childress decide whether to challenge or not.

Offense
- Our dominant left side OL wasn’t.
Sure they kept the DL off from Brad, but the run just wasn’t there.
I expected to see better things out of the best left side in the NFL.
- The ratio of runs to passes was almost 50:50.
Not exactly what I expected from a WCO.
The Raiders played extra men in the box all night long, presumable because they had no respect for our deep threat.
This allowed them to stuff the run every time.
Hopefully we can improve on this.
- Brad Johnson was error free, as expected.
I can happily say that we will not be seeing nearly the number of turnovers that had plagued us in the past few years.
- Tavaris Jackson looked GREAT!
Much, much better than I expected to see.
I think he might have the #2 spot before the season is over.

Defense
- First team was AWESOME!
- Sharper was playing at pro bowl level again.
- Our DL wreaked havoc all night, even when our second and third teams were in.
- The Defense is definitely the strong point of the team right now
- I felt a little sick in my stomach when I saw Greenway go down.
I hope he rebounds.
- Smoot looked OK.
He squared off in bump and run on Moss at least once, and that was good to see.

Special Teams
- Kluwe was great again!
- Williamson probably suffered a blow to his confidence by fumbling the opening kickoff.
- We need to work on our kick and punt coverage.
- I haven’t seen the replays on TV yet (but we DVRed the game, so I will), but the punt that we should have recovered happened right below my vantage point.
I am guessing the officials said that we didn’t have control before going out of bounds, which would make it Oakland’s ball, but it sure looked like we had control to me…

The drive back to Fargo
Holy pooh that is a long 4 hour drive at night.
I am glad that most of our games are day games, because I am getting too old for this.
;)
I think I am getting a hotel in Minny for the Oct 30th game.

marcosMN
08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
"Rastak" wrote:

Yea, although the guy that most impressed me of the rookies was Cedric Friffin...I thought he had a very good game.

Yeah dude. He lookd pretty good. He'll be nickel back for sure.

kramer9guy
08-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Some thoughts...

- I thought Brad and the first team offense looked pretty good for it being the first preseason game. Sure, the running game wasn't all that great looking, but I think we need to wait a little longer before we pass judgement. The O-line protected Brad very well and that is very important. We moved the ball and scored.

- The first team defense also looked good. I know it was a preseason game against the lowly Raiders, but wow, for a little while there I was getting flashbacks of some of our powerful defenses of old. Nice.

- Tavaris Jackson looked good. Sharp passes. Quick releases. Awesome running skills. I'm excited to see more from him.

- Why the massive critisism of JT O'Sullivan? Was I watching a different game than most of you? He moved the ball down the field with both the second (when Tavaris Jackson went out after that hit...JT should have been allowed to finish that drive) and third team offenses (unlike Mike Mahon who didn't do squat during both of his drives). Most incomplete passes were due to obvious route mistakes by his recievers. And, when he was critisized by the announcers near the end of the game, they were under the impression that the Vikings were going to go for a field goal. The weren't as we all now know. Maybe O'Sullivan also knew this? O'Sullivan was scrambling (behing a third string O-line) trying to score a TD before time ran out. You gotta give the guy points for trying. He showed me 10 times more heart and guts when he was on the field than Mike McMahon (and I've defended both QB's in the past). Give the guy a break. To me, JT earned points. McMahon is the one who slid down the depth chart in my book.

- Kluwe looked good. Glad to see he's back.

- Too bad Longwell missed that Longone. I'm sure he's gonna partly blame that on having a new holder (Kluwe) because that's what he blamed his struggles on last year (several different holder throughout the season with the Pack). And that's fine, because it's probably true. Give them time to gel.

- That dropped pass by Stephen Jackson was as ugly a dropped pass as I've ever seen. My two year old son could have caught that ball. I say cut the guy when we can get an upgrade via the waiver wire (which shouldn't be too hard).

- Kornhieser sucks. Didn't like him before, like him less now. He made one or two funny comments throughout the three hours of the game, but the whole "devils advocate" thing that he has obviously been told to do in the booth is too much. Personally I'd rather hear anyone other than him (Miller, Madden, Fouts, etc...), well actually, anyone except Joe Buck.
;)

thanatoschristou
08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Our running game will be fine.
It was the first game, it takes time to create chemistry in a line.
It was awesome to watch our QB not run for his life.
I really liked Chris Jones the little he was looked at.
It should be a verry exciting year.

vikes09
08-15-2006, 10:59 AM
troy williamson was taking the return because thats what happens during a preseason game. you try people at diffrent positions to see who will fit best. mewelde pretty much has the job, but come on, try a few others back there!

Prophet
08-15-2006, 11:03 AM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

- Why the massive critisism of JT O'Sullivan? Was I watching a different game than most of you? He moved the ball down the field with both the second (when Tavaris Jackson went out after that hit...JT should have been allowed to finish that drive) and third team offenses (unlike Mike Mahon who didn't do squat during both of his drives). Most incomplete passes were due to obvious route mistakes by his recievers. And, when he was critisized by the announcers near the end of the game, they were under the impression that the Vikings were going to go for a field goal. The weren't as we all now know. Maybe O'Sullivan also knew this? O'Sullivan was scrambling (behing a third string O-line) trying to score a TD before time ran out. You gotta give the guy points for trying. He showed me 10 times more heart and guts when he was on the field than Mike McMahon (and I've defended both QB's in the past). Give the guy a break. To me, JT earned points. McMahon is the one who slid down the depth chart in my book. ...

To me, the mistake on second down with the intentional grounding call and 10 secs. dropped off the clock was enough of a reason to stone him.
He knows he's at the botton of the depth chart and fighting for his NFL life and he made a boneheaded decision when he had a moment to shine.
Sure, he looked better than McMahon, but that doesn't say much.
I've also seen him make similar plays when he was with the Saints.
Put those together and he's ready for stoning.
McMahon is so pathetic I wouldn't want to throw out my arm by stoning him at this point of the season.
McMahon is there for deep backup anyway it appears....Childress said beofre the game that he would only play him for part of the second quarter and he is giving Tarvaris as much playing time as possible.

FedjeViking
08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
"thanatoschristou" wrote:

Our running game will be fine.
It was the first game, it takes time to create chemistry in a line.
It was awesome to watch our QB not run for his life.
I really liked Chris Jones the little he was looked at.
It should be a verry exciting year.

Yes, and remember it was a preseason game in which no team shows all that they have. They did show us enough that we now know we have a team that plays well together.http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8399/thumbsup4kk.gif

VikesFan4Life
08-15-2006, 11:05 AM
My notes:

Offensively:
QB's - Johnson was efficient moving the ball.
McMahon sucks.
T.J. looked impressive, but certainly needs to work on some things, but he's a rookie QB so that's to be expected.
O'Sullivan's days with the Vikings may be numbered, and that's all I'll say about that.

RB's - C. Taylor wasn't bad, made something from nothing on a couple.
Fason and Moore were average.
Good TD run by Richardson.
Steven Jackson shoudn't have dropped that easy TD pass.

WR's - Koren and Williamson had a couple of nice catches.
M. Robinson almost had a nice one there.
Saw a bit of Ryan Hoag, but not much from others.

TE's - Wiggins isn't really a preseason guy, so no surprise there.
Angulo and Dugan had some nice catches I think.

OL - 1st team O-line was okay, need time to gel a bit I think.
Hutch looked good.
2nd team wasn't bad either.
Some former starters make up that bunch.

Defensively:
DL - D-Line looked great.
Udeze looked outstanding, and James made Gallery look like a fool the whole time.
Those sacks by Kolodziej and Ray Edwards were great!

LB's - Coudn't really see much, but Harris and E.J. did ok I think.
Leber had a couple of nice plays.
Nice INT by Thomas, that was a good read.
Farwell and Kyle McKenzie both had nice games.

Secondary - Didn't see much from the 1st teamers, since there was only like one pass completed.
Some nice hits and a great INT by Griffin.
Edwards did an ok job.
Greg Blue had a great game, with some nice hits and he just jacked up Andrew Walter, I really like this guy!

Special Teams - Coverage was terrible, needs some work.
Good tackle by Greenway.
Kevin Kasper might have secured his spot on the team as the kick returner, that guy is fearless!

Rastak
08-15-2006, 11:06 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

To me, the mistake on second down with the intentional grounding call and 10 secs. dropped off the clock was enough of a reason to stone him.
He knows he's at the botton of the depth chart and fighting for his NFL life and he made a boneheaded decision when he had a moment to shine.
McMahon is so pathetic I wouldn't want to throw out my arm by stoning him at this point of the season.
McMahon is there for deep backup anyway it appears....Childress said beofre the game that he would only play him for part of the second quarter and he is giving Tarvaris as much playing time as possible.

I completely agree...that was unforgivable.

cajunvike
08-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Coach Chill is just that...cool as a cucumber!!!
The man don't play!!!

Mr Anderson
08-15-2006, 11:12 AM
My assessment.

QB: Johnson looked good, especially on the blitz, accurate as usual, nothing flashy he gets the job done. He had great command of the team.

RB: I can't really assess the running game until the offensive line starts to gell.

OL: Didn't really gell together, but it was the first game, and I remember hearing on ESPN that Hutch and McKinnie have been watching film together everyday, and I am not worried about Birk being able to work with the others, he went to Harvard.

WR: I think the recievers looked great, we have so much depth and speed at the position this year I don;t think we need a true #1 reciever, however, K-Rob certainly played like a #1.

DL: Amazing, what more can I say.

LBs: Also need some work to gell together, need more game time, I think we'll see the LB starters in
more against Pittsburgh (hopefully they lay out Ben, and Ward)

DBs: Brooks only completed 1 pass with these guys in for a reason, even with Sharper at SS out of his natural position, they looked great, Moss was never open, and that doesnt happen.

Special teams: :pukeright: Terrible, they were our best asset last year too, they need to work on that.

petrodemos
08-15-2006, 11:13 AM
"Del" wrote:

The Raiders are very undiciplined. The Vikings are VERY diciplined.

and the vikings lost ;D. yeah yeah its preseason i know. dont get me wrong I dont miss the penalties at all, and am glad they are disciplined, but all i heard was the vikings are concerned about character first, players second. we need a mean tough middle linebacker (mckenzie looked good - remember its 3rd and 4th stringers though) and those players usually have character issues, usually, not always.

special teams has horrible >:(, but hopefully it wont take Childress to fix in 3 to 4 years like tice did. new coach is going to have to play some starters in special teams like tice started doing after a chat with bud grant. come the regular season we should be okay.

Tjack for president. if BJ goes down, hes starting, theres no reason to have mcmahon, and osullivan on this team. they couldnt do anything, mcmahon had a nice downfield pass to M Robinson, but Robinson made the best of that pass eventhough he dropped it (should have caught that ball). O'sullivan....well he sucks period. they have 3 more games to show whether they deserve to be in the NFL or the CLF.

Memo for vice president. he always performs. i dont know if theres some behind the scenes "character issue" but dang, the guy has the moves and can shrug off tackles like the best of em, well maybe not the best, but certainly better than ciatrick fason. he hasent gotten any better from last year, the defense winks, and he falls down, how he made it up the 2nd string is beyond me. 2 out of 3 games last year with 20+ carries Memo had over 100 yards. the only RB last year with 100yd games. whats going on ??????????

MMC for congress. The Minnesota Moving Co. moving defenses around like the screen pass mentioned earlier, hopefully and probably a sign of things to come.

Reporters for street cleaning duty ???. they were mediocre, but when the sideline interviewing started, i want to choke a b... . Tafoya, i liked her
:'(. i really did. but damn, stop asking about the boat, and then keep asking "so what was the truth?". smoot kept smiling and handled it very well and i heard everything i wanted to hear to make me change my mind about this guy (oh yeah, imi a regular flip flopper. you know it) i said he would be replaced by the end of the season, but i hope he proves me wrong, and im not calling for it. untill maybe after the carolina game. ;D

Zeus
08-15-2006, 11:21 AM
My 2cents:

* The FIRST-TEAM offense looked solid, even with the plain-Jane scheme Childress was running.
Move the chains, chew up the clock, score the TD.

* The FIRST-TEAM defense was outstanding.
Great pressure, great coverage - about everything I could ask for in the first pre-season game.

Other than that, not much worth commenting about.
Anything about TJack or Greg Blue or Cedric Griffin is just silly as they were not playing against Oakland's first-string.

One thing about JT - I'd be surprised if he's on the team by the next game on Saturday.
He looked horrendous, absolutely horrendous.

And I agree 100% with Childress for NOT kicking the FG at the end of the game.
Who cares if you win or lose?
More important to get outta the game healthy.

=Z=

PAvikesfan
08-15-2006, 11:24 AM
here it goes...
i loved all of it and it's official...that vikes are back on.

but after that bit of excitement.

O'Sullivan is worthless.

Tavares Jackson looked poised and calm and he scrambled nice.
i noticed he had a couple passes that were like bullets and dead on but the 2nd and 3rd string recievers, TE's, and HB's dropped them.
the dump passes he was doing looked lazy to me though.

Brad Johnson looked great as usual.

I expected better play from our Run Blocking.
they protected Brad really well, but they did not give Taylor a whole lot of room.

the offensive scheme is as safe as it gets.
i actually kind of like it.

our starting defense and even the 2nd team played well.

and longwell was a great pickup.

let's hear it for mistake free football.

kramer9guy
08-15-2006, 11:30 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

Yeah, I agree that the intentional grounding was a big big mistake on his part, but one has to take into account that he has been a career third stringer without much real playing time (unlike McMahon) and he is bound to make mistakes like that (that's why he is a third string/practice squad guy) especially in his first preseason game, but to me, it also still doesn't take away from what else he did while in the game. I think he played rather well as a whole.

Also, I'm wondering, if McMahon is there as the deep back-up, why did JT get so much more playing time than McMahon? Maybe that role will switch next week, who knows...we'll see. Either way, after last night, I see the QB depth chart as:

Brad Johnson
Tavaris Jackson
JT O'Sullivan
Mike McMahon

CCthebest
08-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Bad:

Our offensive line did the worst of any pre season team Ive watched this year. So what if its pre season, at least come out to play. All the money we spent, they better get their shit straight.

Taylor flat out sucked.

T. Williamson sucks. Id like to see him traded before everyone else sees this and hes worth something.

Worst special teams ever.

Putting Greenway on special teams right off the bat. BAD coaching!

GOOD:

Brad Johnson was great. Give that man a raise Dickless err Childresss

Koreen Robinson. This guy will be our bread and butter.

Our starting deffensive line. Did a damn good job, in everything from pressure to coverage. We may be back to the days where our deffense will have to win games.

TJ should be named our 2nd string QB right away. The man has talent. He was picked too early, but at least he can play.

PAvikesfan
08-15-2006, 11:33 AM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

Yeah, I agree that the intentional grounding was a big big mistake on his part, but one has to take into account that he has been a career third stringer without much real playing time (unlike McMahon) and he is bound to make mistakes like that (that's why he is a third string/practice squad guy) especially in his first preseason game, but to me, it also still doesn't take away from what else he did while in the game. I think he played rather well as a whole.

Also, I'm wondering, if McMahon is there as the deep back-up, why did JT get so much more playing time than McMahon? Maybe that role will switch next week, who knows...we'll see. Either way, after last night, I see the QB depth chart as:

Brad Johnson
Tavaris Jackson
JT O'Sullivan
Mike McMahon

Brad
Tavaris
Mike
then way at the bottom...
JT

vike_mike
08-15-2006, 11:35 AM
I thought we looked good overall.
I am just used to seeing us gobble up chunks of big yards.
It is kind of frustrating.
Our running game looks to be well in tact.
I hope that neither Brad Johnson or T.Jack go down because if this happens, we are in big, big trouble.
McMahon threw some good passes, but some bad ones too.
Marcus didn't make him look good on the long deep pass he bobbled.
Who is Steven Jackson?
Catch the rock next time!

Prophet
08-15-2006, 11:35 AM
"kramer9guy" wrote:

Brad Johnson
Tavaris Jackson
JT O'Sullivan
Mike McMahon

I'm still thinking the depth chart stays: BJ, MM, TJ, JT.
They played JT to give him a chance to shine or suck to see if they should use a roster spot on him.
I'm sure they'll give McMahon more playing time during the preseason so they can make a decision between one of those two clowns.
One of them is going for sure, which one?
It will probably be JT after the preseason plays out because even though McMahon sucks ass he may be able to play better Dilferesque football if the situation arises.

Top_Speed
08-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Pretty much everything has been covered about the upsides and downsides of our 1st preseason game. Yes, the un-special teams need major work.

Not that I'm not on the T-Jack bandwagon but I
thought the overall character was evident in the team last night and that skol'd the show. Having Oakland have all those mental mistakes (not really new for them) but we actually looked like a team that had concentration to detail. Woah, this is new.

#1 Cudos to the D!
1st teamers were swarming on and off the ball. Everybody was in postition to make their presence (no big passing and running gaps like past years). Quite aggressive I might add too, like seeing the db's coming in the D-line gaps creating havoc and even getting a sack to boot!

Keep up the MO baby!

Rastak
08-15-2006, 11:55 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Bad:

Our offensive line did the worst of any pre season team Ive watched this year. So what if its pre season, at least come out to play. All the money we spent, they better get their pooh straight.

Taylor flat out sucked.

T. Williamson sucks. Id like to see him traded before everyone else sees this and hes worth something.

GOOD:

Our starting deffensive line. Did a gol 'darnit good job, in everything from pressure to coverage. We may be back to the days where our deffense will have to win games.

TJ should be named our 2nd string QB right away. The man has talent. He was picked too early, but at least he can play.

I guess you missed the Green Bay game eh? Almost every play was a jailbreak and Favre/Rodgers were running for their lives....I didn't see that at all last night at the dome.

whackthepack
08-15-2006, 12:01 PM
"singersp" wrote:

True. I'm also thinking that Childress is showing his hand on all the run plays he has in mind for the regular season.

Most of the runs were to the left side, as expected. I don't recall seeing any going to the outside.

I'm also thinking that Childress is showing his hand on all the run plays

Think you meant to say not showing his hand.

Childress came out and said that preseason is going to be vanilla and that they don't want to show anything if they don't have to.
One of Hutchinson's and Birk's strengths is they are both great at pulling and I think we will see a lot of it during the regular season and I think the line needs some time to jell and to work as a unit (not that kind Cajun).

I think this was the 1st preseason game not the 10th game of the regular season, and let's remember that Oakland has had a week more of practice and had already played a game.
That is a big difference and the Vikings next week will be better than the team we saw last night, they will correct some problems and install more plays and shift players around and all in all it will just be a smoother operation in the second game.

I feel sorry for the raiders fan because Moss and Brooks are going to implode, and it isn't going to be pretty.
This was there second game and the Vikings looked like the better team.

Hats off for the lack of stupid penalties (except JT O'Sul
bonehead) they looked like a much more disciplined and professional team then we have seen in Minnesota in a long time.

T-Will is getting a bad rap and I see people judging him on a quarter of football, when he only had a couple passes thrown his way and one he was interfered with and the other he made a nice catch.
Reports out of camp is he is catching everything thrown his way and the coaching staff was surprised at how good of a possession receiver he has been.
Let's let the regular season be the judge of how he is doing and if he is a bust or not!

I have not heard of T-Will returning kickoffs in training camp, and if he has been it hasn't been very often or not reported.
So I don't understand having him out there to start the game as a kickoff returner, and if that is the case then don't be surprised if sh*t happens. And on that play the Raider speared the ball and knocked it out, so I would not judge him to harshly on the fumble.

D player of the game: Farwell.
(he may not make the team but he got noticed)

O Player of the game: T-Jack.
(I can not wait to see how he looks 4 years from now)

ST Player of the game: Kluwe.
(one of the few highlights of special teams)

And the 55 yard field goal attempt the broadcast only showed the endzone shot but it looked like the snap and placement didn't go well but it was hard to tell form the angle and they didn't show any replays.

The Raider's should have been called for pass interference on 4 or 5 different plays and we got no calls, good to see the refs are at mid season form!

Rastak
08-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Raiders also took down several Viking pass rushers on the inside, with no calls. Hell, the Vikes had a great pass rush even with the two or three no calls.

Del Rio
08-15-2006, 12:40 PM
"Rastak" wrote:

Raiders also took down several Viking pass rushers on the inside, with no calls. Hell, the Vikes had a great pass rush even with the two or three no calls.

I saw two blantant holds against our players. On one the ref even reached for his flag, but then decided not to. Probably because the Raiders already had 2000 penalties.

Vikadelic
08-15-2006, 12:41 PM
All in all very pleased with the performance last night.

I missed any of Longwells kick offs though.
Did any of them manage to make it into the end zone?
I have read that he is known for his short kick offs and wanted to know if it was any issue last night.

Alharrissuks91
08-15-2006, 01:25 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Bad:

Our offensive line did the worst of any pre season team Ive watched this year. So what if its pre season, at least come out to play. All the money we spent, they better get their pooh straight.

Taylor flat out sucked.

GOOD:

Our starting deffensive line. Did a gol 'darnit good job, in everything from pressure to coverage. We may be back to the days where our deffense will have to win games.

Ok u r an idiot because Twill is a great deep threat
Taylor does not suck the o line was having trouble run blocking they will get better.

shawn9876uss
08-15-2006, 01:44 PM
I thought that overall the vikes played great, disciplined football, there wasnt many mistakes, besides the fumble, and I think that Childress and Tomlin have done a phenominal job makeing this a solid team

NodakPaul
08-15-2006, 01:57 PM
"Alharrissuks91" wrote:

Taylor does not suck the o line was having trouble run blocking they will get better.

Attack the post, not the poster.

The OL was not nearly as dominent over the Raider's run defense as I would have liked to see.
And TWill is steadily progressing.
I expect him to make more of an impact in the later half of the season.

josdin00
08-15-2006, 02:08 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Bad:

Fact 1: Not one of the players on our offensive line has ever played next to the player he's playing next to now.

Fact 2: The best offensive lines always have two things going for them, talent, and time spent together.

My conclusion: Despite all the talent on the line, it's going to take some time for them to come together and understand how their line-mates react to different situations. This was the 1st preseason game. A few more games should make a marked difference. If they still look this bad by the 3rd game, start to worry a little bit.

"CCthebest" wrote:

Taylor flat out sucked.

Taylor frequently was able to gain a few yards when the line gave him nothing. I actually thought he had a decent outing. Not great, but he didn't suck either. When the line play improves, and it should, his stats will improve.

"CCthebest" wrote:

Wide receivers typically take 2-3 years to get fully up to NFL speed. There are rare cases (Moss, Boldin) where rookies are able to make an impact, but that is definately the exception to the rule. This year is the year where we can hope that Williamson will break out, and when this year is only 1 pre-season quarter old for him, that's not nearly enough plays to start judging him.

"CCthebest" wrote:

Yeah, they need some work.

"CCthebest" wrote:

Special Teams is where you put rookies, so that they can contribute until they win a starting job, and even then, they sometimes still stay on special teams. Injuries suck, expecially when they happen to high draft picks, but you can't sit guys on the bench because you're afraid they're going to get injured.

"CCthebest" wrote:

GOOD:

Koren had 2 catches for 19 yards. Williamson had 1 for 8, but he also drew a 19 yard pass interference penalty that moved the ball to the 3 yard line. That would put his stats at 2 for 27. Yet Koren is the bread and butter, and Williamson sucks.

One quarter of action is not nearly enough evidence to be making these judgements.

I'd agree that Johnson and Jackson looked good. McMahon and JT looked about even to me. I'd like to see them back to back, with roughly the same personal package, so I can decide who I want on the third string, and who is practice team fodder.

The DL definately looked good.

The secondary looked pretty good.

The offensive line looks like they weren't on the same page yet. The pass blocking was solid, but they weren't opening up any holes. Like I said before, I'm waiting to see how they do in a couple games before I pass judgement.

The kickers did well, but special teams coverage looked weak.

...but what most impressed me was the lack of penalties. I made a comment in the live chat during the game that I was pleasantly suprised that the first penalty of the game wasn't against the Vikes. This looked like a much more disciplined team than in past years, and I'm very happy about that.

Zeus
08-15-2006, 02:11 PM
"Alharrissuks91" wrote:

Based on what evidence?
The many long TD catches he's had for the Vikings?

=Z=

Zeus
08-15-2006, 02:13 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

The owner of the team is a man named Zygi Wilf.
Pretty sure he's the one who decides who gets paid and who doesn't.
Brad Childress is the head coach.
He is also an employee of Zygi Wilf, the owner of the team.

=Z=

mr.woo
08-15-2006, 02:17 PM
yeah special temas have a way to go and i was really expecting us to excel in that area. we were great last year. we didnt get
rid of our special teams coach did we? ???

Marrdro
08-15-2006, 02:24 PM
A few things to consider/observations:

a.
We all better get used to the "Vanilla" West Coast Offense.

b. I thought the O line could have done better but believe they did what they were asked.
I don't think Brad Childress wanted to show to much.
Looked like pretty much straight one on one blocking schemes with nothing fancy included.

c.
QB's.
Brad should be paid more, TJ did fine for his first game.
Still holding judgement but he sure looked better than the other 2 bone heads.

d.
I don't expect to see anything from this team until week one (I am going to the game) as it appears this staff is of the mindset of holding thier cards close to thier chest.

I am looking forward to this season more than any other than I can remember (Born in 1961).
I think the rest of the league is in for a suprise.

Marrdro

TommyJ
08-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Just a few observations from a newbie to PPO:

1. The cover-2 defense brought over from Tampa will pay tremendous dividends.

2. Taylor was ok. I don't think its fair to expect him to come out of the gate and just tear it up.

3. Discipline was great.

4. Lets slow down on inducting Jackson into the hall of fame.

5. Its just the first pre-season game.

JellyBean2144
08-15-2006, 04:22 PM
I came away very impressed. We our learning a new Offense, and we looked good out there. Not great, but good. I love our Special Teams!! Other than that fumble at the start of the game, we were okay. And T. JAckson, very impressive. This kid is going to be the steal of the draft. Solid game.

V-Unit
08-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Vanilla WCO? Is that supposed to be referring to our boring offensive scheme? So am I a boring person if I like vanilla ice cream?

Can't we use a more positive sounding word? I am very excited to get used to our efficient WCO.

NordicNed
08-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Our first string D and O where very impresive, for this early in the season I thought......

Where is Singer?....My lawn needs cutting...LMAO

carolinafan
08-15-2006, 07:23 PM
"michaelmazid" wrote:

I just don't get it..............TW should not have fumbled the kickoff.
I agree.
It was a hard hit but he should have seen it.
Other than that, his number was called twice and he caught one ball and was interfered with on the other and the ball was spotted at the 3.
The O scores a TD, and that's it for the first team for the night.
How can you remotely say TW doesn't look good.

1- he's not a kick returner and only returned kicks a few times in college when others were hurt (although he was pretty dangerous)

2- The Raiders D would line up head up on TW, then as signals were being called, the DB would drop back about 8 yards.
Obvious TW's speed was scaring them.
The Vikes on passed about 5 times when the opening offense was in.
TW accounted for two positive plays of the two he was thrown

3- If the league DB's lay off TW 8 yds all the time, the slant will take care of that.
Once that gets completed, the DB's will tighten up, the TW will run by them.

4 - any fan that thought they were going to see a highlight reel by anyone in the first qtr of the first preseason game hasn't watched much football.

This sums up the Vikes O in the first qtr last night.................BJ looked solid, and the O moved the ball to score.
They didn't play the rest of the night.

Be thankful that this team looks light years better than last year at this time.

kramer9guy
08-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Stats from last nights game:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore;_ylt=AkgZXZxoqWZzTXjRfXAr2dZDubYF?gid=20060814016

carolinafan
08-15-2006, 07:29 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Bad:

Taylor flat out sucked.

GOOD:

You need to take a course in football 101.
To say TW sucks is a joke.
His fumble sucked, but his number was called twice and he delivered both times after that.
Then he and the rest of the first team sat for the night.

Did you notice how far Oaklands DB's played off TW.
The slant will be money this season if that keeps up and TW will take several to the house.
TW will be an all pro wideout and if you can't see that you need a reality check.
Moss caught one pass last night........I guess the Raiders should trade him too.
A preseason game is exactly what you got last night and the Vikes first team O looks like it has great potential.
I guess b/c BJ didn't throw a bomb to TW means we should get rid of TW.
That's laughable.

carolinafan
08-15-2006, 07:35 PM
"Alharrissuks91" wrote:

Ding Ding Ding.............we have a winner.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Oaklands DB's knew about TW's speed and they played 8-9 yards off every time.
I kept saying alls we have to do is throw the slant to TW and it's money in the bank.
We did it once.
Thats ok b/c the Vikes appeared to be working on the run game wh/ needed it.
I was impressed with the running of the first team backs.
The guy that said trade TW needs help.
There hasn't been one starting receiver on any team in preseason that's done anything special simply b/c they don't get but a few reps and then it's off to rest on the bench for the evening.
TW's doing exactly what he's supposed to do and the upside is awesome.

Big C
08-15-2006, 07:50 PM
My observations:

1. Defense looked solid. It was so nice to see stunts and blitzing CBs, LBs and S. I was impressed even with the 3rd string defense. Heath Farwel. 9 tackles!! Awesome.

2. I think McMahon was better than some people think. He played only 2 series and had the best throw (from a Viking) of the night if Robinson didn't drop it (sure TD). Jackson got more playing time and outplayed McMahon.

3. Jackson looks awesome. I love him! Will probably be our No 2 QB by the beginning of the season. JT needs to go.

4. The running game is EXACTLY what I expected it to be. I have been following the training camp notebook on Kfan religiously and they CONSTANTLY reported that the O-line needs more work at the run game, so I wasn't suprised. However, the key to our season is keeping Johnson on his feet, so I was very pleased to see the O-Line give all the QBs time to throw. I'm sure the run game will work itself out.

5. I was suprised to see Memo be the 3rd RB. I can understand him stepping down for Taylor but he is DEFINITELY better than Fason. I still believe Memo has better vision and will out-run Taylor given the chance BUT (and a BIG but) his blitz pickup is horrible. I'm sure Fason's blocking is better than Memo's but that is not a reason to downgrade him.

6. The only draft pick that didn't stand out was Cook. But I'm hopng it's because he plays a less prominent position.

7. I didn't mind the commentary. What annoyed the heck out of me was the split screen stuff whenever they interviewed somebody on the side line. I thought Tony got off to awkward start but then kind of settled in.

8. Calmness. Both offense and defense, all 3 strings (except O Sullivan) excuded calmness. That is new to me.

9. Special Teams needs a lot of work. Mark down Kasper as the kick returner. Send him to the pro-bowl this year!

Marrdro
08-21-2006, 02:57 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Vanilla WCO? Is that supposed to be referring to our boring offensive scheme? So am I a boring person if I like vanilla ice cream?

Can't we use a more positive sounding word? I am very excited to get used to our efficient WCO.

Not boring.
I like the WCO also and your word efficient.
My point is that most of the "Vikings Fans" won't like the WCO as it will take to long to score and the scoring won't be as high.
Again, I, for one love ball control offensives that rely on the defense to give them the ball back..........
I think this will be a better year than most of the "experts" are predicting.

By the way.
They looked better beating Pittsburg.
Can't wait to see them live with my wife and son on Sept 11th.