PDA

View Full Version : Greenway Hurt!

kjdaddy
08-14-2006, 10:26 PM
What is the early word in town as to the severity??

BadlandsVikings
08-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Hopefully nothing is damaged.

thevikingfan
08-14-2006, 10:32 PM
well he got off on his own and the announcers were saying he was walking around on the sideline so hopefully nothing serious

whackthepack
08-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Local Channel 5 news just reported that Greenway left the dome after the game in shorts not on crutches with a back pack and not limping.

If this is accurate this could be great news as they would not have let him leave the dome walking if they were worried about it at all.

That was only one report and I have not heard any official report from the Vikes.

cajunvike
08-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Why do you use your 1st rounder...as a wedge buster...in preseason???
Make NO sense to me!!!

Freakout
08-14-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm sure they had it X-rayed at halftime.
Probally get a MRI on it tomorrow just to be safe.
The staff has been cautious with injuries so far during camp/preseason.

Braddock
08-14-2006, 10:45 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Make NO sense to me!!!

Very good point. He's got more use to us than a wedge buster.... you raise a good point...

whackthepack
08-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Fox is reporting that he is scheduled to have an MRI tomorrow.

I hope that earlier report is accurate and he is not hurt seriously.

BadlandsVikings
08-14-2006, 11:00 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Fox is reporting that he is scheduled to have an MRI tomorrow.

I hope that earlier report is accurate and he is not hurt seriously.

Hopefully nothing more than a strain.

Property0f
08-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Vikings top pick Greenway injures left knee
NFL.com wire reports

MINNEAPOLIS (AUg. 14, 2006) -- Minnesota Vikings rookie linebacker Chad Greenway injured his left knee and was taken out of Monday night's preseason game.

Greenway, the team's first-round draft pick from Iowa who is the second-string weakside linebacker behind E.J. Henderson, was covering a kickoff in the first quarter against the Oakland Raiders. He broke through the wedge, but got hurt and limped off the field.

After he was examined on the trainer's table behind the bench, Greenway was able to get up and walk around the sideline, but the Vikings said he wouldn't return.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/9601384

thevikingfan
08-14-2006, 11:21 PM
i say the play and whatever happened wasnt visible on the film in fact it looked like a normal tackle well keep our fingers croosed that our first rounder is ok though

gregair13
08-14-2006, 11:41 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Make NO sense to me!!!

to prove he is tough.

TheKnuck
08-15-2006, 12:04 AM
he's fine, but i want to see him starting in preseason!!!!!!

kjdaddy
08-15-2006, 12:39 AM
VIKE081506.BAR
Last update: August 15, 2006 – 12:26 AM

Vikings' No. 1 pick feared lost for the season
Rookie linebacker Chad Greenway injured his left knee covering an Oakland kickoff return late in the first quarter.
, Star Tribune

The Vikings might have suffered a loss far greater than their 16-13 preseason setback against Oakland on Monday night at the Metrodome.
Rookie linebacker Chad Greenway, the Vikings' first-round pick in the NFL draft, left the game in the first quarter because of an injury to his left knee. Greenway will have an MRI this morning, and indications Monday night were that it could be a season-ending tear to his anterior cruciate ligament.

Coach Brad Childress said the Vikings will "reserve judgment" until the results of the MRI come back.

Greenway wore a brace on his knee and had an obvious limp as he left the Vikings locker room. He said he wasn't sure he had a torn ligament.

"I haven't had anything done," he said. "I just know the coaches brought me off just to get me off the field. Right now it's up to the trainers, and hopefully I get back on the field as soon as possible. I don't know what it is right now."

Greenway was injured covering a kickoff with 4 minutes, 10 seconds left in the first quarter. He appeared to twist his knee awkwardly as an Oakland player blocked him.

Greenway hobbled off the field and was examined on the sideline before walking to the Vikings locker room. Many times an injured player will return to the sideline, but Greenway never reappeared.

"I just planted, and something kind of just happened where I twisted me knee," Greenway said. "I don't know exactly what happened."

Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin did not want to speculate on the injury. "We'll hold our breath until the morning and let the tests [occur]," he said.

Greenway, whose parents were scheduled to be at the Metrodome on Monday night, said Sunday he expected to see extensive playing time with the second-team defense. But because of the injury he ended up getting only one play on defense, being used in a four-linebacker set with the first team.

"It's very disappointing," Greenway said. "It's something you can't control. It's just part of the game. It's something that happens, but we'll get something figured out tomorrow and see what happens."

Said Tomlin: "It's disappointing for him, but that's part of football. We go into it with our eyes open."

Greenway, a star at Iowa, was the 17th pick in the draft and has spent training camp as the backup weak-side linebacker behind E.J. Henderson. Childress said last week that Greenway would remain in the backup role for now, but clearly the hope was he would move into a starting role sooner rather than later. Greenway had seen action with the first team, albeit limited, in a 4-4-3 set designed for short-yardage situations.

Second-year linebacker Heath Farwell saw more time than expected Monday because of the injury to Greenway and finished with a game-high nine tackles.

"I talked to Chad in the locker room and just hope for the best," he said. "It's a tough deal."

©2006 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

kjdaddy
08-15-2006, 12:45 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this doesn't sound good :-

enlvikeman
08-15-2006, 01:23 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Make NO sense to me!!!

Alot of 1st round picks who do no start are in fact utilized on special teams.
Just because he's a first round pick doesn't mean we shelter him from the reality of the nfl.
He's a linebacker...get him on the field and with as much playing time as possible.
Knowing the way Chad's attitude is, he probably begged the coach to let him play special teams.
If he was walking around without crutches it probably isn't to bad.
I will keep my fingers crossed like you guys

Benet
08-15-2006, 04:07 AM
I just read an article on Star Tribune that speculates it's a tear on his anterior cruciate ligament. If it is..

Hello Injured Reserve.

This sucks. He said he was due to see a lot of playing time with the second-team defence. Hopefully he gets his chance.

VikesfaninWis
08-15-2006, 06:25 AM
Unreal, our starters are dropping like flys.. Good thing he came into the season as 2nd string, otherwise we would really be hurting.. Not good news at all..

Del Rio
08-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Anytime a player has an injury to the knee people assume it was an ACL tear. There are many things that can happen to your knee that range from being gone the entire season to putting ice on it for a day.

He's on special teams because we need him on special teams.

RandyMoss8404
08-15-2006, 07:31 AM
I saw the replay, and his knee did defintely buckle outside-to-inside...so...if it is a tear, it is the ACL

Del Rio
08-15-2006, 07:41 AM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

I saw the replay, and his knee did defintely buckle outside-to-inside...so...if it is a tear, it is the ACL

It's the safe guess.

And that's all it is a guess from you as well as the reports that are in this thread.

It may not have been the buckle. It could have been the slight twist, from his cleat being dug into the astro turf.

Hyperextention, tear, strain, sprain, contusion.............. the door is wide open.

Prophet
08-15-2006, 07:43 AM
KFFL
Vikings | Greenway to have an MRI - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:28:25 -0700

Updating previous reports, the Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings rookie LB Chad Greenway (knee) will have an MRI test Tuesday, Aug.15, on his injured knee. Though he declined to speculate on the severity of the injury, Vikings' defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said he felt "sick" for Greenway. "I'm disappointed for the kid," he said. "Injuries are a part of the game, and we accept that. But I feel bad for him."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Greenway injured - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 18:02:49 -0700

The Associated Press reports Minnesota Vikings rookie LB Chad Greenway (knee) injured his left knee and was taken out of Monday night's preseason game, Aug. 14. Greenway was able to get up and walk around the sideline, but the Vikings said he wouldn't return to the game.

RandyMoss8404
08-15-2006, 07:51 AM
"Del" wrote:

It's the safe guess.

And that's all it is a guess from you as well as the reports that are in this thread.

It may not have been the buckle. It could have been the slight twist, from his cleat being dug into the astro turf.

Hyperextention, tear, strain, sprain, contusion.............. the door is wide open.

Right. Which is why I said 'if it is a tear...'

Del Rio
08-15-2006, 07:52 AM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

Right. Which is why I said 'if it is a tear...'

.....and IF the Queen had balls she'd be a king.

which is why I said it was a SAFE guess.

RandyMoss8404
08-15-2006, 07:56 AM
"Del" wrote:

.....and IF the Queen had balls she'd be a king.

which is why I said it was a SAFE guess.

But you're not complicating the issue enough. What if the Queen-with-balls hybrid considered herself a revolutionary transgendered Queen, rather than a King?

Del Rio
08-15-2006, 07:59 AM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

But you're not complicating the issue enough. What if the Queen-with-balls hybrid considered herself a revolutionary transgendered Queen, rather than a King?

Then with a little butter, a midget, a goat, and a bag of pork rinds......you could make yourself a royal movie.

whackthepack
08-15-2006, 08:01 AM
The local media is reporting all doom and gloom but nobody knows for sure and the speculation is just that speculation.

I am hoping from the reports that he was walking on it that it isn't to bad as I can't see them letting him walk around with a torn ACL or MCL and if they are they should get new trainers.

Hopefully it is something that will take a few weeks to heal but won't be season ending.

Mr. Purple
08-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Man I really hope its not too too serious.Like Del said none of us actually know what it is, expect the worse,and hope for the best I guess.

VikesFan4Life
08-15-2006, 09:29 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Local Channel 5 news just reported that Greenway left the dome after the game in shorts not on crutches with a back pack and not limping.

If this is accurate this could be great news as they would not have let him leave the dome walking if they were worried about it at all.

That was only one report and I have not heard any official report from the Vikes.

If this report from Channel 5 is accurate, why all the doom-and-gloom this morning from the local newspapers?
Nobody knows for sure the extent of the injury, why go out on a limb like that?
Unless they know something we don't.

I understand that you expect the worst and hope for the best, but maybe running a headline like "Greenway's injury extent uncertain" would have been a little more responsible IMO.

I guess a title like that just doesn't sell Tuesday morning papers...

Prophet
08-15-2006, 09:41 AM
...After he was examined on the trainer's table behind the bench, Greenway was able to get up and walk around the sideline. Coach Brad Childress said Greenway would have an MRI test on Tuesday, but he provided no other details...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/preview/2006/08/14/bc.fbn.vikings.greenway.ap/

seaniemck7
08-15-2006, 09:43 AM
I hate to be pessimistic, but the fact that he wasn't on crutches doesn't mean anything.
There have been plenty of ACL tears where the player thought he would be fine and an MRI shows differently. I hope to high heaven its just a strain.

Mr. Purple
08-15-2006, 09:50 AM
That is very good news right there....yea he could still have something torn or so, but the fact that all the NFL Highly paid doctors and trainers let him walk off, let him go him with nothing to support it.For all we know he could have got hurt, and as a precaustion, just like Portis, they took him out.Is very good news.Thats what you do in preseason.Who knows tho, I'm crossing my fingers hes ok.He may not play as much this year as expected in the offseason before E.J. showed up, but a
bad injury could hender him his whole career.

BadlandsVikings
08-15-2006, 10:18 AM
"Del" wrote:

Then with a little butter, a midget, a goat, and a bag of pork rinds......you could make yourself a royal movie.

Does any of this involve Packer fans?

Zeus
08-15-2006, 10:22 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

That is very good news right there....yea he could still have something torn or so, but the fact that all the NFL Highly paid doctors and trainers let him walk off, let him go him with nothing to support it.For all we know he could have got hurt, and as a precaustion, just like Portis, they took him out.Is very good news.Thats what you do in preseason.Who knows tho, I'm crossing my fingers hes ok.He may not play as much this year as expected in the offseason before E.J. showed up, but a
bad injury could hender him his whole career.

Perhaps it's the pessimist in me, but I'm expecting the ACL tear and Greenway's season to be done.

=Z=

SKOL
08-15-2006, 10:22 AM
"seaniemck7" wrote:

I hate to be pessimistic, but the fact that he wasn't on crutches doesn't mean anything.
There have been plenty of ACL tears where the player thought he would be fine and an MRI shows differently. I hope to high heaven its just a strain.

Agreed.
Remember Robert Smith didn't even limp before one of his MRI's.
I hope it's not serious.

PAvikesfan
08-15-2006, 10:30 AM
i guess we will find out soon.
when are they back in practice?

vike_mike
08-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Well if it is, then it is.
I hope not but if so, recoup and be back next year.
Good luck Chad

V-Unit
08-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Jeez! It didn't even look like that bad of an injury. I'm trying to remain optimistic.

Zeus
08-15-2006, 10:53 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Jeez! It didn't even look like that bad of an injury. I'm trying to remain optimistic.

How long have you been a Vikings fan?
Being optimistic is not part of the equation.

;)

=Z=

BadlandsVikings
08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

;)

=Z=

Vikings fans are hopeful not optimistic.
:)

marcosMN
08-15-2006, 11:02 AM
"PAvikesfan" wrote:

i guess we will find out soon.
when are they back in practice?

They are back in practice tomorrow morning. Expect to see it go back to the hard-nosed, physical style it started out as. Also, you know those times BC cut practice short? Not anymore...

RK.
08-15-2006, 11:18 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Make NO sense to me!!!

Well he is the backup to EJ and he has to do something other than just sit on the bench.
They will probably tell him to cover the outside rather than busting the wedge however lol

ChezPizmo
08-15-2006, 11:35 AM
"Del" wrote:

*sigh*
Damn the things that go on in these threads...

SKOL
08-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Holy smokes, it's not looking good:

Greenway feared lost for the season
Rookie linebacker Chad Greenway injured his left knee covering an Oakland kickoff return late in the first quarter.
Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
Last update: August 15, 2006 – 11:46 AM

The Vikings might have suffered a loss far greater than their 16-13 preseason setback against Oakland on Monday night at the Metrodome.
Rookie linebacker Chad Greenway, the Vikings' first-round pick in the NFL draft, left the game in the first quarter because of an injury to his left knee. Greenway will have an MRI this morning, and indications Monday night were that it could be a season-ending tear to his anterior cruciate ligament.

Coach Brad Childress said the Vikings will "reserve judgment" until the results of the MRI come back.

Greenway wore a brace on his knee and had an obvious limp as he left the Vikings locker room. He said he wasn't sure he had a torn ligament.

"I haven't had anything done," he said. "I just know the coaches brought me off just to get me off the field. Right now it's up to the trainers, and hopefully I get back on the field as soon as possible. I don't know what it is right now."

Greenway was injured covering a kickoff with 4 minutes, 10 seconds left in the first quarter. He appeared to twist his knee awkwardly as an Oakland player blocked him.

Greenway hobbled off the field and was examined on the sideline before walking to the Vikings locker room. Many times an injured player will return to the sideline, but Greenway never reappeared.

"I just planted, and something kind of just happened where I twisted me knee," Greenway said. "I don't know exactly what happened."

Defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin did not want to speculate on the injury. "We'll hold our breath until the morning and let the tests [occur]," he said.

Greenway, whose parents were scheduled to be at the Metrodome on Monday night, said Sunday he expected to see extensive playing time with the second-team defense. But because of the injury he ended up getting only one play on defense, being used in a four-linebacker set with the first team.

"It's very disappointing," Greenway said. "It's something you can't control. It's just part of the game. It's something that happens, but we'll get something figured out tomorrow and see what happens."

Said Tomlin: "It's disappointing for him, but that's part of football. We go into it with our eyes open."

Greenway, a star at Iowa, was the 17th pick in the draft and has spent training camp as the backup weak-side linebacker behind E.J. Henderson. Childress said last week that Greenway would remain in the backup role for now, but clearly the hope was he would move into a starting role sooner rather than later. Greenway had seen action with the first team, albeit limited, in a 4-4-3 set designed for short-yardage situations.

Second-year linebacker Heath Farwell saw more time than expected Monday because of the injury to Greenway and finished with a game-high nine tackles.

"I talked to Chad in the locker room and just hope for the best," Farwell said. "It's a tough deal."

shawn9876uss
08-15-2006, 12:39 PM
I didn't look like it snapped or anything, I am just hopeing that it is a strain, because that we be very detrimental to the LB Corps.

Braddock
08-15-2006, 12:43 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Agreed. I've seen knees bend worse than that, and i only be a strain. My first impression is that he'll be ok. Could be wrong, but......nah. I'm never wrong

DCPologirl
08-15-2006, 01:26 PM
I swear that we are cursed when it comes to injuries

Rastak
08-15-2006, 02:03 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

Not really....look at Green Bay for instance, they lost both backup tackles and their backup safety. We lost a backup lb and a backup fb.

COJOMAY
08-15-2006, 03:40 PM
From Vikings.com

The Minnesota Vikings announced today that linebacker Chad Greenway suffered a season ending left knee injury in last night's game vs. Oakland at the Metrodome.

"The toughest part in this business is dealing with the injuries and this is no different," said Vikings head coach Brad Childress. "It's unfortunate because Chad improved during our mini camps, OTA's and training camp. He did a pretty good job in the plays he was in there for last night and made a big tackle on special teams. Chad will evaluate his options in the upcoming weeks and we are confident he will be completely healthy for the 2007 season. Chad will have the full time to rehab."

Freakout
08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Tough news.

Prophet
08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_GreenwayIR81506.html

Bummer.
I was hoping for better news.

magicci
08-15-2006, 03:45 PM
well... this isnt great news for our depth...

cajunvike
08-15-2006, 03:45 PM
They were using their FIRST-ROUND draft choice....as a wedge buster...in a preseason game!!!!

Not very smart IMHO!!!!

cajunvike
08-15-2006, 03:46 PM
"magicci" wrote:

well... this isnt great news for our depth...

Donnie Edwards is still available!!!

COJOMAY
08-15-2006, 03:48 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

LOL - Just had to get that in there, didn't you!
8)

magicci
08-15-2006, 03:49 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

haha you think he will come in and back up EJ?

Prophet
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I had a feeling that Donnie Edwards' name was coming up here soon.
Cajun already bought his Vikings jersey and is waitin' on what # to put on it.

whackthepack
08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Damnn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was holding out hope that it would only be a few weeks, I wish they would have said exactly what the injury was?
Is it an ACL rupture?
slight tear? Or an MCL?
What?

Well I wish the best for Greenway and hope that he has a quick recovery.

Slade
08-15-2006, 03:58 PM
This sux....our 1st round pick, done for the year. Next year he will be rusty & its going to take some time. Bad news.....

LuckyVike
08-15-2006, 03:58 PM
I had a feeling that was going to be a season ending injury... I wonder why I had that feeling, oh wait, I'm a Vikings fan.

thevikingfan
08-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Dam it this sucks ass!All i can say is E.J better play good this year and if he dont then we get rid of him and plug greenway in next season

midgensa
08-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Well this is definitely pretty crappy news to go with the loss of Tank. Technically both looked like they were going to be back ups, but depth is huge in this game and we are slowly losing some of ours. Maybe the other LBs can pick it up.

V-Unit
08-15-2006, 04:25 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

;)

=Z=

For seventeen years of my 22 year old life. Imagine how optimistic I would be if I weren't a Viking fan....

Prophet
08-15-2006, 04:29 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Greenway's season over
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:13:39 -0700

ESPNews reports Minnesota Vikings rookie LB Chad Greenway (knee) will miss the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

======================================
Vikings' Greenway out for season with knee injury
Updated: Aug. 15, 2006, 5:15 PM ET
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2550612

V-Unit
08-15-2006, 04:34 PM
sigh.

CCthebest
08-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Only dumb f*ck Childress would put the #1 draft choice on the kicking wedge in the first pre season game. His should be fired before we start the season. Let Studwell coach them. At least Studwell would have sent Pep packing for Ryan who the h@ll are you? Cook.

Mr. Purple
:(

It angers you so much, knowing we have to wait ANOTHER year to see what he can do.

Get well Greenway.

shockzilla
Dang it! That sucks. Oh well, we gotta suck it up and hope he heals well. Shoots our depth at LB all to heck.
:'(

Well, we'll deal, move on towards the regular season and see what happens!

Prophet
08-15-2006, 04:36 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Only dumb f*ck Childress would put the #1 draft choice on the kicking wedge in the first pre season game. His should be fired before we start the season. Let Studwell coach them. At least Studwell would have sent Pep packing for Ryan who the h@ll are you? Cook.

You forgot to set your timer....

triedandtruevikesfan
08-15-2006, 04:44 PM
That is definitely a blow, but it isn't going to kill our season.
I hope he has a good rehab.

whackthepack
08-15-2006, 04:46 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Are you insane what do you think that rookies do?
What does a backup linebacker in the NFL do?
He plays special teams and that is the way it is.

Plus I don't think you are over the fact that Childress didn't want Corey Chavous back, get over it!
Corey was good he wasn't great and our D isn't going to miss a beat without him so bitching about Childress because he didn't want him on HIS team is ridiculous.

Wiggles67
08-15-2006, 05:08 PM
I think this is Childress's first mistake on the field.
I have no idea why you would send a first round draft pick to try and blow up a wedge on the kick off.

looks like its time for EJ to set it up for an entire year!

Rastak
08-15-2006, 05:10 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

Oh give me a goddamn break. He's second on the damn depth chart....he damn well should be out there. And I'd trot K Rob out to return kicks starting in preseason week 3. F%^& this playing scared stuff.

michaelmazid
08-15-2006, 05:18 PM
I am so f**in pissed right about now. we have no luck with first round picks. dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm itttttttttttttttttttttttt >:(

PurplePeopleEaters
08-15-2006, 05:22 PM
"CCthebest" wrote:

You my friend, are an idiot.

FuadFan
08-15-2006, 05:22 PM
I'm pissed that he is injured but as has been mentioned to those who complain about it he should be out on special teams he wasn't going to unseat E.J before the season so that is where he has to contribute.

olson_10
08-15-2006, 05:33 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

I'm pissed that he is injured but as has been mentioned to those who complain about it he should be out on special teams he wasn't going to unseat E.J before the season so that is where he has to contribute.

exactly..where else did people expect him to contribute? just cuz hes a rookie do people on here really expect him to just sit on the bench all season long and wait for an injury to occur to get his chance to play?..wake up people, this is where he was going to be playing all season long as long as EJ was playing in front of him

BadlandsVikings
08-15-2006, 05:34 PM
This really sucks, Hopefully he rocovers quckly and is healthy next year.

boognish
08-15-2006, 05:51 PM
That's really too bad. He's a good kid and I was looking forward to watching him develop this year. Guess we'll have to wait till next year to see what he can become. Looking mighty thin at the LB position right about now!
:(

shawn9876uss
08-15-2006, 05:55 PM
I feel really bad for him, but at least he will be able to watch film and learn the defense for next year

ranasrule
08-15-2006, 05:56 PM
i just read the news....man i feel sick right now :(

VikesfaninWis
08-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Man, I am sick of all these F'N injuries.. I know Greenway wasn't our starter, but it still sucks to see him go down for the season in the first preseason game.. Not good news at all..

jdvike
08-15-2006, 05:59 PM
Football is a physical game....guys get hurt....It happens.

It's been a long time since we've seen a sideline shot, and NOT seen the guy in charge look completely bewildered and lost(cough Mike cough Tice cough)....So far I love B-Chill....I think the Vikes are in good hands.

If Corey C was so special he wouldn't be with the Rams right now..JMO

Prophet
08-15-2006, 06:00 PM
"jdvike" wrote:

So far I love B-Chill....

Great nickname for him.
Haven't heard that one before.
Like it.
B-Chill.

Braddock
08-15-2006, 06:06 PM
It happens. I really wish he could have played this season, get some experience, and i'm sure he's upset too. All of you saying fire Childress are being way too drastic and need to chill out. It's football. It happens. He'll be back and really fired up next season.

Slade
08-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Its always knee injuries nowadays. It seems like everyone gets something in their knee torn. This is pooh. Hopefully he will bounce back & get ready for camp 07'

Prophet
08-15-2006, 06:10 PM
"Braddock" wrote:

... All of you saying fire Childress are being way too drastic and need to chill out. It's football. It happens. He'll be back and really fired up next season.

It was just one person that forgot their meds.
He's been put back into his straighjacket, force-fed the meds, and now all is well.
6-Kings is on the way over for the torture treatment.

mnjamie
08-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Tank and now Chad .... depth starting to become an issue on "D".
Look out.

kramer9guy
08-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Wow, just got home from work and heard the news. Major bummer. I wish him the best.

Braddock
08-15-2006, 06:21 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

Look out.

That's why you have depth, so you can use it. yes it's early, but the point of depth is not to have players sitting on the sidelines, but to actually use them when need be. well, the need be NOW. hopefully, we're getting all of this out of our system.

vikings11_27
08-15-2006, 06:32 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

Look out.

I agree..Maybe we should consider adding someone like jamie sharper...but i dont think we need secondary help

RK.
08-15-2006, 06:45 PM
I thought it was interesting what Chad said.
He didn't hurt it by getting hit.
He said he just planted it and it twisted funny.
Could have happened on any play.
There do seem to be a lot of knee injuries through out the league for some reason however.
I wonder if someone will develop a new piece of equipment that will give the knee some extra support?

Mr Anderson
08-15-2006, 07:02 PM
shit!

cc21
08-15-2006, 07:02 PM
Well this just fu(kin sucks. I really wanted to see what he could do. Also now he is losing all of this experience so it will be like his rookie year next year all over again.

Christie
08-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Yes this really bits!
Being from his home town i was really looking forward to seeing him play.
Really Bit!@!@!@!@@!! Can't imagine how he feels about the deal.
Maybe someone needs to look at the turf in the domes maybe they can come up with something else that won't hurt so many knees.

illiniviking
08-15-2006, 08:05 PM
One thing to look out for in the future with Greenway is that this is his second major injury on his left knee.
He had major reconstructive surgery in 2002 on the same knee I believe.
Hope this doesn't keep him from having a great career.

Mr. Purple
08-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Our Weakside core just got thin.I think we need to pick up someone for added depth.I dont know who is out there tho.

olson_10
08-15-2006, 08:20 PM
i agree with what cajun said earlier..donnie edwards

vikenheel_zdl16
08-15-2006, 08:21 PM
That really sucks @$$. Why do injuries always happen to starters ?

Ltrey33
08-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Man this stinks! Our first round pick done for the year....this is sad!

COJOMAY
08-15-2006, 08:49 PM
I'll bet ya Rick Spielman is busy checking those waiver wires!

BadlandsVikings
08-15-2006, 08:51 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I'll bet ya Rick Spielman is busy checking those waiver wires!

I would seriously hope so.
:-

Zeus
08-15-2006, 09:06 PM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

I would seriously hope so.
:-\

Why?
There's no reason to check anything until the first round of cuts are made.

Let's not go off the cliff here, folks.

=Z=

grpape
08-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Why not let Blue try out the spot for depth. How much bigger is Bing compared to Blue. Yes, I know the other thread where guys were saying that you need to pack on weight, but what do we have to lose? Oh well, flame if you like.

Zeus
08-15-2006, 10:30 PM
http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_GreenwayIR81506.html

The Minnesota Vikings announced today that linebacker Chad Greenway suffered a season ending left knee injury in last night's game vs. Oakland at the Metrodome.

"The toughest part in this business is dealing with the injuries and this is no different," said Vikings head coach Brad Childress. "It's unfortunate because Chad improved during our mini camps, OTA's and training camp. He did a pretty good job in the plays he was in there for last night and made a big tackle on special teams. Chad will evaluate his options in the upcoming weeks and we are confident he will be completely healthy for the 2007 season. Chad will have the full time to rehab."

Well - that's that.

=Z=

RandyMoss8404
08-15-2006, 11:32 PM
"DCPologirl" wrote:

No, see, the Cleveland Browns are cursed when it comes to injuries. We're just unlucky.

VikingKen
08-16-2006, 12:04 AM
I was really looking forward to watching a new monster in the middle. Get well see you in 2007
:'(

vikesoto
08-16-2006, 12:14 AM
What a blow...

Let's all keep our fingers cossed that he'll be able to make a full recovery..

Warp
08-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Just heard the news of Greenway out for season on espn :'( Thats a terrible turn of events i was so hoping he would get alot of playtime this year and see what hes got. Lets hope he makes a full recovery!

jdvike
08-16-2006, 04:36 AM
"illiniviking" wrote:

One thing to look out for in the future with Greenway is that this is his second major injury on his left knee.
He had major reconstructive surgery in 2002 on the same knee I believe.
Hope this doesn't keep him from having a great career.

I thought the same thing about it being the same knee but Ron Johnson on the Huddle Up show said that it wasn't the same knee.
Knee injuries usually don't end careers anymore.... as long as Chad is willing to work hard at rehab he should be fine....He's a South Dakota farmboy so he knows all about hard work.

Get well soon Chad

Christie
08-16-2006, 06:09 AM
This knee injury is not to the same knee. he hurt his right one in college and had to have it worked on.
Also lets have a positive outlook on this he is young and very willing to do anything to get back to playing footaball.
In the long run this could just make him stronger for next year and he will know more about the defense also.

Del Rio
08-16-2006, 06:14 AM
Well so much for being optimistic.

I would blame the turf before I blamed the coach. Turf ends more season and more careers then anything else in the game of football. It's pretty dangerous.

Well now you know who the starting LB's are for sure and you probably won't be seeing anymore 4-4-3's anytime soon.

singersp
08-16-2006, 06:18 AM
Posted on Wed, Aug. 16, 2006

Injury shouldn't be huge pain (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15282550.htm)

Vikings upset that rookie Greenway is out for season, but linebacker wasn't slated to start

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

Chad Greenway's rookie season is over just as it was beginning, but his bad break shouldn't have a major impact on the Vikings' linebacker corps, at least not in the short term.

Greenway, who suffered a season-ending injury to his left knee Monday night in the Vikings' exhibition-opening, 16-13 loss to Oakland at the Metrodome, was — and still is — regarded as a future starter, but he was on track to open this season as the No. 2 weak-side linebacker behind E.J. Henderson.

Greenway's injury does leave the Vikings a little short on linebacker depth. Rookie Marcus Lawrence is expected to miss four or five days with a knee injury of his own, a sprained posterior cruciate ligament.

Second-year linebacker Heath Farwell made the most of his opportunity Monday night, though, stepping in for Greenway and finishing with a team-high nine tackles, one quarterback hurry and a pass defensed.

Farwell, a special-teams ace, almost had a fumble recovery on a muffed punt, too, but was ruled out of bounds.

"That's football," he said after the game of his unexpectedly busy night. "An injury can be the first play of the game. You just have to stay ready at all times no matter where you are on the depth chart. Being a third-stringer, I have to make the most of my opportunities."

Said defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin: "Heath is always game. He has great football character, and he's an unbelievable worker. What he was able to do didn't surprise me."

That doesn't mean the Vikings won't shop for depth from a pool of available linebackers that includes Rocky Calmus, Chris Claiborne, Trev Faulk, Greg Favors and Orlando Ruff, to name a few.

The bad news on Greenway, the 17th overall selection in April's NFL draft, stung the Vikings. The former Iowa star injured his left knee with a little more than five minutes to play in the first quarter Monday night while he was blocked on a 60-yard kickoff return by the Raiders' Chris Carr.

Greenway, who was expected to see substantial playing time this season on special teams and in situational defenses, walked off the field and to the locker room but did not return to the sideline.

The Vikings did not specify the results of a magnetic resonance imaging test performed Tuesday, only that the injury is season-ending.

"The toughest part in this business is dealing with the injuries, and this is no different," coach Brad Childress said in a statement. "It's unfortunate because Chad improved during our minicamps, OTAs (organized team activities) and training camp. He did a pretty good job in the plays he was in there for last night and made a big tackle on special teams. Chad will evaluate his options in the upcoming weeks, and we are confident he will be completely healthy for the 2007 season. Chad will have the full time to rehab."

Vikings players had Tuesday off. Greenway and his agent, Marvin Demoff, did not respond to phone calls seeking comment.

Most of Greenway's teammates and coaches appeared to sense Monday night what was coming, though, hoping for the best while seeming to expect the worst.

"I'm disappointed for the kid," Tomlin said Monday night. "Injuries are a part of the game, and we accept that, but I feel bad for him."

Sean Jensen contributed to this report. Don Seeholzer can be reached at dseeholzer@pioneerpress.com.

singersp
08-16-2006, 06:20 AM
The LB depth chart, minus Greenway (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/616559.html)

Last update: August 15, 2006 – 7:44 PM

Weak-side linebacker: E.J. Henderson, Heath Farwell

Strong-side linebacker: Ben Leber, Rod Davis, Marcus Lawrence

Middle linebacker: Napoleon Harris, Dontarrious Thomas, Kyle McKenzie

Del Rio
08-16-2006, 06:27 AM
I think it will hurt quite a bit on special teams. He was near the ball almost every time I saw him. That squad needs work. Losing a very talented guy on there is scary.

Benet
08-16-2006, 06:30 AM
Damn.

Oh well, like Clinton Portis said, getting angry or upset doesn't make the recovery quicker. We'll just have to get by without him, hopefully EJ can continue to perform in live situations as well as he has during training camp.

Prophet
08-16-2006, 07:42 AM
KFFL
Vikings | Team has not released details of Greenway’s injury
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:15:33 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings did not specify the exact injury suffered by Minnesota Vikings LB Chad Greenway (knee), but indications are that Greenway tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee Monday night, Aug. 14, during the Vikings' 16-13 loss to Oakland. In a statement, head coach Brad Childress said: "we are confident he will be completely healthy for the 2007 season." "I just planted, and something kind of just happened where I twisted my knee," Greenway said Monday night. "I don't know exactly what happened. It's very disappointing. It's something you can't control. It's just part of the game." Childress indicated that Greenway would spend the next few weeks determining his course of medical action, presumed to be surgery.

cogitans
08-16-2006, 07:49 AM
I just feel sorry for Chad. He looked to be a really good guy, so for that alone you wanted to see him succed.

The team will just have to do without him, and I hope he comes back with a shout next season.

cyviking
08-16-2006, 07:51 AM
This is not only upsetting and dissapointing but this added with K-Rob's little incodent is making me feel uneasy about the season. I had high hopes going into this season (as I always do) but I hope the wheels are not falling off. Come on guys pull together and get stronger!

DaunteHOF
08-16-2006, 08:22 AM
ahhhhh, there goes tha division title. **##%!

ViKing24
08-16-2006, 08:30 AM
I personally think this means nothing . It just means that EJ Henderson who has been fighting for WLB to will probably be the starter and it will give him time to prove that he should be the starter after all. Who knows it could just prove to be the right knee in the right direction

Prophet
08-16-2006, 11:08 AM
KFFL
Vikings | Greenway’s injury not a short term concern
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 07:35:50 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings will not be affected too much in 2006 by the season-ending injury to LB Chad Greenway (knee). Greenway wasn't going to start this season, as the team named LB E.J. Henderson the starter at weak-side linebacker.

Zeus
08-16-2006, 11:19 AM
KZZZ
Vikings | Tarvaris Jackson to Faith-Heal Chad Greenway
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:00:50 -0700

Haywood Jablomie, of the Twin Cities New Age Times, reports that Minnesota Vikings star quarterback-of-the-past-present-and-future, Tarvaris Jackson, will be performing a faith-healing laying of hands on injured LB Chad Greenway's knee during the break between morning and afternoon practices.
"Not only do I have a rifle arm, but I also channel the spirit of a 3000-year-old Shaman named Silverthistle.
Back in college, I removed a goiter off the neck of a young child while running in a QB sneak."

=Z=

ChezPizmo
08-16-2006, 11:46 AM
"AWZeus" wrote:

KZZZ

Haywood Jablomie, of the Twin Cities New Age Times, reports that Minnesota Vikings star quarterback-of-the-past-present-and-future, Tarvaris Jackson, will be performing a faith-healing laying of hands on injured LB Chad Greenway's knee during the break between morning and afternoon practices.
"Not only do I have a rifle arm, but I also channel the spirit of a 3000-year-old Shaman named Silverthistle.
Back in college, I removed a goiter off the neck of a young child while running in a QB sneak."

=Z=

:o...

;D

Del Rio
08-16-2006, 11:55 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

KFFL
Vikings | Greenway’s injury not a short term concern
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 07:35:50 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings will not be affected too much in 2006 by the season-ending injury to LB Chad Greenway (knee). Greenway wasn't going to start this season, as the team named LB E.J. Henderson the starter at weak-side linebacker.

LMAO Don SeaOtter can see into the future.

For all we know EJ Henderson can break his leg. Maybe Chad would have filled in and exploded into a pro-bowl LB.......but we wont be effected tooooooooooooooo much this season lol.

Prophet
08-16-2006, 01:43 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

KZZZ

=Z=

That is good news, doesn't surprise me.

whackthepack
08-16-2006, 03:25 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

KZZZ

=Z=

That is good news, doesn't surprise me.

He wasn't able to preform the faith healing on Greenway today, the healing will have to wait tell tomorrow as Tarvaris was to tired after he preformed brain surgery on Koren Robinson to install a brain because apparently there was an empty void in Robinson's head where there should have been a brain.
Tarvaris was choppered in for the brain surgery after a daring rescue of three missing girl scouts in the corn fields of Iowa.
The three 7 & 8 year olds had wondered into a maze of corn and was lost for hours, their parents were extremely distract so Tarvaris jumped on the helicopter after the morning practice and single handily saved all 3 girls (Iowa proclaims Tarvaris Jackson day for next week)!

After the daring rescue and brain surgery Tarvaris was in pads for the after noon practice and was going to preform the faith healing after the practice but coach Childress cancelled the healing because Tarvaris was tired. Childress proclaimed that Tarvaris is not superman for god's sack!

umaguma1979
08-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Greenway looks like a bust.

Freakout
08-16-2006, 07:48 PM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

Greenway looks like a bust.

What a stupid thing to say.

jdvike
08-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Yes that is pretty stupid....about as stupid as people saying we are being punished by the Poison Pill Karma.

umaguma1979
08-16-2006, 08:05 PM
I'll admit....it sounds a little ignorant, but I didn't like the pick from the beginning.
Its going to be a while before Greenway will be able to contribute.
At least, when we had Dwayne Ruud ( a similar comparision) he was able to play & start.

I mean - we all know what to expect from EJ and the fact that it was highly unlikly Greenway was going to unseat him - makes you wonder.

I tell you what......Hawk (PAckers) ooks like a bigger bust and I find that very surprising.

whackthepack
08-16-2006, 09:28 PM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

I'll admit....it sounds a little ignorant, but I didn't like the pick from the beginning.
At least, when we had Dwayne Ruud ( a similar comparision) he was able to play & start.

I mean - we all know what to expect from EJ and the fact that it was highly unlikly Greenway was going to unseat him - makes you wonder.

I tell you what......Hawk (PAckers) ooks like a bigger bust and I find that very surprising.

Because you didn't want the Vikes to draft him he was a bust?
Get a clue!

thetrenches68OL
08-16-2006, 09:32 PM
hell im back and idk wtf im doing lol

gregair13
08-16-2006, 09:33 PM
I do not think greenway would have played much this year anyways. Sure he would have gotten in every once in a while, but by the end of the year, baring injury, he would not have had a starting job.
It sucks huge donkey nuts that he is out as he will be another year behind in his development.

Prophet
08-17-2006, 07:48 AM
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/618984.html
Greenway eager to start rehabilitating knee
Mark Craig, Star Tribune
Last update: August 17, 2006 – 12:51 AM

Del Rio
08-17-2006, 07:55 AM
I think it's a pretty substantial loss. Especially for special teams. It means your investment that needs time to adjust to the PRO's is sitting for a year. It also means a quality athlete is not on your coverage team that has been iffy for the last few years.

I mean it's not something to sit and cry about all season, but I think the loss will be substantial.

digital420
08-17-2006, 08:00 AM
i agree with del rio on this, it is a loss that we will have to now wait a year to develop a quality player. i just hope he stays focused and watches the film with the D - Coaches and learns what's what and is able to build that mental game as well as rebuild his physical!!

can't wait for him to come back as a beast!!!!

DiGiTaL

Perch56
08-17-2006, 08:19 AM
this hurts us really bad, but i dont get why he was the wedge buster

TheKnuck
08-17-2006, 11:46 AM
im sick of having these same discussions year after year, hell we should just forfeit the rest of the preseason, god forbid bj gets hurt.

ChezPizmo
08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
"jdvike" wrote:

Yes that is pretty stupid....about as stupid as people saying we are being punished by the Poison Pill Karma.

Well, atleast we can call it something.

RK.
08-17-2006, 12:23 PM
"Perch56" wrote:

You guys need to read.
He didn't hurt his knee because he was busting the wedge.
He didn't hurt it getting hit.
He just planted his foot and it twisted.
He could have done it celebrating a TD.

whackthepack
08-17-2006, 12:34 PM
"Perch56" wrote:

Because he was the best special teams player on Iowa for 3 years.

Because he is a rookie linebacker and that is a job they do.

Because he is 6' 3" 240lbs and he is fast, and that is the type of player you want doing that.

Because he was going to be a big part of our special teams this year, and that is the way it goes.

A lot of people wanted koren to be the kick returner this year, and he was going to be our # 1 receiver this year!
But a rookie gets hurt on special teams people wonder why he was playing.

Slade
08-17-2006, 12:44 PM
"RK." wrote:

"Perch56" wrote:

You guys need to read.
He didn't hurt his knee because he was busting the wedge.
He didn't hurt it getting hit.
He just planted his foot and it twisted.
He could have done it celebrating a TD.

- Very true...he could have done that while putting on his helmet! Lol

Prophet
08-17-2006, 01:25 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Greenway placed on IR
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:45:04 -0700

ESPN.com reports the Minnesota Vikings have placed rookie LB Chad Greenway (knee) on Injured Reserve, ending his 2006 season.

Christie
08-17-2006, 05:11 PM
"umaguma1979" wrote:

I was wondering why you didn't like the pick in the beginning? Sounds to be you have a grudge against Greenway.
he may not of took EJ's spot but i can almost say he would of been starting specail teams which he would of been a big asset to!
Losing any member of your team if you are a true Viking Fan would not be good no matter if you like th pick or not he is still part of the team and for some reason the members thought he was worth the pick.
Greenway already contributed to the team and will continue to even hurt.
This young man gives a 110% at whatever he does in life and the mere fact that he is highly like and idolized by young vikings fans is a huge plus. He will be back next year stronger and ready to play football for the team.
Sorry if i sound mad about this but Chad has more potential than you have gave him.
First to graduate from a small "B" school in the middle of South Dakota and then be able to
play Div. 1 college football and make it there. Then be drafted to the NFL should show you how committed to the game of football he is! and the fact he is not playing hurts :'( and makes me feel sad for him. :( like i said i hope i didn't offend anyone by these if i did sorry this is how i feel.