PDA

View Full Version : the new defense

sdvikefan
09-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Sounds like everybody is kind of disappointed we didn't get more pressure on Vinny and so am I but keep in mind the Cowboys line is a big, physical group just like ours. I don't think our line played bad, it's just the Cowboys line played good. Udeze made a couple good plays and Kevin Williams had that awesome sack. That guy is gonna be something else.

What upsets me the most is that the Cowboys didn't have much trouble passing vertically against our secondary. But I thought Winfield looked awesome. This was my first game seeing him as a Viking and he's lived up to expectations. He made solid tackles, made a nice play causing that fumble, and on that 70 yard Cowboy kick return he pretty much saved a TD. He also stopped a couple 3rd down conversions.

ItalianStallion
09-12-2004, 08:12 PM
I though Hovan was disrupive early on and had a great burst off the ball, but he really slowed down. K-Will was ALRIGHT, he had trouble stopping the run on a couple drives though. Udeze played pretty good, for a rookie. Chuck Wiley was serviceable. I would look to see them improve. The 'Boys oline played better tahn I though, but I though our O-line did a great job against the Boys d-line

RandyMoss8404
09-12-2004, 08:12 PM
I took a bit of issue with Winfield's coverage - he gave way too much cushion

VikingsTw
09-12-2004, 08:14 PM
There first half play was poor i think they had the jitters and needed to com down, they are young and they were pumped, they came out in the second half and played a little better. Ej had a nice game, and Thomas made some plays. I give credit to the dallas o line that is quite a line to contain very nice. We didnt blitz a whole lot but got much better presure in the 3rd and 4th quarters. There is alot of room for improvement but it got us through this game.

VikingsTw
09-12-2004, 08:16 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

I couldnt figure out why he was doin that didnt make much sense.

PacNWVike
09-12-2004, 08:28 PM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

Sounds like everybody is kind of disappointed we didn't get more pressure on Vinny and so am I but keep in mind the Cowboys line is a big, physical group just like ours. I don't think our line played bad, it's just the Cowboys line played good. Udeze made a couple good plays and Kevin Williams had that awesome sack. That guy is gonna be something else.

What upsets me the most is that the Cowboys didn't have much trouble passing vertically against our secondary. But I thought Winfield looked awesome. This was my first game seeing him as a Viking and he's lived up to expectations. He made solid tackles, made a nice play causing that fumble, and on that 70 yard Cowboy kick return he pretty much saved a TD. He also stopped a couple 3rd down conversions.

I deplaned at Reagan National and hauled a$$ to my hotel in Alexandria... What do you mean the Vikes/Cowboys aren't on TV???!!! The Hilton called Joe Theisman's Bar across the street and they had the game on and it was halftime!

My observations:

- The O looks very good. We can put a lot of points on the board if we stay healthy.
- That blown special teams punt coverage was saved by The Old Guy, Anderson. He slowed the returner down so the Vike could catch him.
- The D didn't impress me, but they seemed to come on strong towards the end. I agree theCowgirls have a huge line, and the tackles were effectively blocking our DE's wide. We did have pressure on Vinny.
- On the play where MeShawn is flipped, watched Vinny prior to throwing the ball. There is a Vike who is trying to get to him, on the ground, and the Cowgirl literally was laying on him and holding as the Vike crawled towards Vinny... :shock:
- B. Williams is a stud. Our new Browner/Griffith?
- I agree at times the DBs were giving way too much cushion, but they made some good plays too.
- The D will get better with experience as they are young. Even though we didn't get a lot of sacks, they were in Vinny's face a lot.G

Good game! Skol Vikes! :cheers:

muchluv4smoot
09-12-2004, 08:35 PM
"vikingstw" wrote:

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

I couldnt figure out why he was doin that didnt make much sense.

Yeah, especially when he was on meshawn. Johnson isn't a guy who can run by winfield deep, so why play off him so much?

I also thought russell didn't do a very good job in todays game either. He seemed like he was a step slow.

We definitely have 2 starting CB's that can flat out knock you on your *ss, that is always nice.

Big Daddy
09-12-2004, 08:41 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

We definitely have 2 starting CB's that can flat out knock you on your *ss, that is always nice.

http://www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news86/12vike12.l.jpg

You Mean Like This!

sdvikefan
09-12-2004, 08:52 PM
"RandyMoss8404" wrote:

That is true especially on those first couple drives.

And yes that was an awesome hit by Williams!

vikes_ova_everyone
09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Damn guys the cowboys had a lot of cheap shots u would think they would be a lot classier under bill parcells i know i am very disappointed in them as im sure many others are.. Americas Team ya right they totally pissed me off 2day

vikes_ova_everyone
09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Damn guys the cowboys had a lot of cheap shots u would think they would be a lot classier under bill parcells i know i am very disappointed in them as im sure many others are.. Americas Team ya right they totally pissed me off 2day

NeoVikesTX
09-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Yeah, the Cowboys did have a couple cheap plays, especially against Moss. Like in the 2nd quarter I think, Roy Williams knocked him down when the play wasn't even close to him. Also, in the end zone where Terance Newman got on top of Moss and wouldn't let him get up and started smacking him. But, rest assured the very next play Randy Moss gets a TD! Don't make him mad, that was very dumb on the part of the Cowboys DBs.

Anyway, great pic of Meshawn getting flipped over! I think our D really showed signs of improvement in the 2nd half!

Great game!!!!! :salute: :cheers:

ndakvikefan
09-12-2004, 11:02 PM
I mentioned this in another post so if you catch me repeating myself I am sorry. I noticed today that Kevin Williams makes this defense go. He was sick with an upset stomach today and did not play alot in the first half. The second half he played more and the D-line was more effective. Dallas has a couple pro-bowlers on that line and they are huge as a group and a good line, so don't be dissappointed in thier play, or the D as a whole.
I read people saying that if you can't stop old man Vinny then you have trouble. Well Vinny has Parcels giving him a game plan that works for him and if you give a 18 year vet time to throw the ball he will be effective against anyone. How many QB's in the league today do you see throw the ball immediatly to the spot where the blitzing safety is coming from? I saw him do it at least twice when Brian Russell blitzed Vinny did not even look anywhere else, he burned us right away.
Another thing, Vinny did throw for 355 yards, but he had to throw the ball 50 times. With the exception of one drive the D took away any running game at all. Alot of those yards came: On the last drive of the half when the D was in a prevent, and alot came because of the vikes being up by 18 and they played soft. Dallas only ran the ball once in the 4th quarter and Testeverde threw for 118 yards in the same quarter.
If the vikes offense plays like this and puts up this many points often then I would get used to seeing the secondary giving up 300+ yards alot.

thepacksux
09-13-2004, 02:14 AM
the coverage was soft because of all the blitz packages cottrell had going, it would be more shocking to see bump and run coverage when there is a three wide out or four wide out set and we are in a two deep zone, i was satisfied with winfields coverage against one of the best possession receivers in the game... would have liked to see cottrell show some more flavor on defense maybe? That really sucks about Irvin possibly done for the season... anybody know the status of sauce and moe???

GBFan
09-13-2004, 02:19 AM
From what I saw your secondary was awful.

dan3ski
09-13-2004, 03:49 AM
"GBFan" wrote:

From what I saw your secondary was awful.

If Green Bay plays Dallas this year we will see if your dee can hold them to 17 points.