PDA

View Full Version : They said it & Who's hot & who's not: Thur. & Fri. edition

singersp
08-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Posted on Thu, Aug. 10, 2006

THEY SAID IT
WEDNESDAY'S HIGHLIGHT

If it were put to a vote of the players, coach Brad Childress' decision to cancel the afternoon practice would win in a landslide.

Who are we to argue?

After another physical, full-pads morning session in which three players walked off the field with injuries, the Vikings needed a break, and an afternoon off could be just what the doctor ordered.

WHO'S HOT

The morning practice featured some nice interceptions, including one by safety Willie Offord on a carom off tight end Jermaine Wiggins.

Rookie linebacker Kyle McKenzie and cornerback Dustin Fox had the other picks, and blocking tight end Jim Kleinsasser made a pretty fingertip grab of a pass from J.T. O'Sullivan.

WHO'S NOT

Rookie Ryan Cook continues to struggle at right tackle, getting pushed around in a one-on-one blocking drill by rookie defensive end Jayme Mitchell.

Cook, listed as the No. 2 right tackle behind Marcus Johnson and the No. 3 center behind Matt Birk and Jason Whittle, was selected with a second-round draft choice the Vikings acquired from Miami for quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

WHO'S HURT

• Offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie left practice early with a partial fracture in his left hand but said he would return today.

• Running back Ciatrick Fason suffered a concussion, and it's uncertain how much time he will miss.

• Wide receiver Marcus Robinson sat out most of practice after suffering a minor neck injury.

• Safety Darren Sharper (hamstring) sat out all but the early portion of practice, and defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said he is day to day.

• Wide receiver Koren Robinson sat out all but the early portion of practice to rest a sore right calf.

THEY SAID IT

"It's beautiful. I'm about to eat and just relax. It's nice when they throw you a bone."

— Cornerback Antoine Winfield, on the coaches' decision to cancel the afternoon practice

— Sean Jensen, Don Seeholzer

THEY SAID IT (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15237631.htm)

vike_mike
08-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Brad is a work horse sounds like. Good, fantastic.

whackthepack
08-10-2006, 04:17 PM
• Offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie left practice early with a partial fracture in his left hand but said he would return today.

Bryant was on Huddle Up on FSN North last night and the segment was taped in the afternoon after the morning practice (the host asked him how nice it was to have the afternoon off), he had no bandages or tape on either of his hands and looked to be completely fine.

singersp
08-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Rookie Ryan Cook continues to struggle at right tackle, getting pushed around in a one-on-one blocking drill by rookie defensive end Jayme Mitchell.

I hate to hear that one of our top picks is getting pushed around by a rookie DE.

NodakPaul
08-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Cook is struggling, but he is also learning a new position, so that's to be expected.

However, given the fact that he is our #2 right tackle, it does worry me a little.

VikesfaninWis
08-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Some good, some not so good news.. I like the fact that McKinney is not going o miss any playing time.. These starters on the O-Line need to gel before the season starts..

I know it is expected that the rookie Ryan Cook is taking some time to learn a new position, but with him being the new #2 behind Johnson, that tends to scare me a little.. So what are they saying, that if Johnson goes down, that we are screwed?

I also like that all of the injuries that have happened aren't that serious.. The Vikings have taken some blows when it comes to starting players, and injuries.. I just hope everyone is healthy come the start of the season..

oakmage
08-11-2006, 05:04 AM
(knock on wood) I am just hoping that we are getting rid of the injuries now and not have them during the regular season

BadlandsVikings
08-11-2006, 05:13 AM
Would it be wrong to knock the pre-season games from four to two, just to prevent injuries?

ThorSPL
08-11-2006, 05:54 AM
Honestly, if they threw Cook in there and he blew it, you'd see Rosenthal there before Childress' foot could hit his ass.

Braddock
08-11-2006, 07:50 AM
I don't like how we've had some concussion, fason and greenway... head injuries scare me. And Mckinnie should miss some time, he can't break that hand worse. That'd put him out for longer.

spunk_goblin
08-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Sounds worrying re cook. Hopefully it's just growing pains and he'll be finew by the start of the season

ryanmurphy
08-11-2006, 10:48 AM
"singersp" wrote:

I hate to hear that one of our top picks is getting pushed around by a rookie DE.

But I do like to hear that one of our rookie DE's can push around a top pick... Lets keep the glass half full here :lol:

singersp
08-11-2006, 11:11 AM
Posted on Fri, Aug. 11, 2006

THEY SAID IT
THURSDAY'S HIGHLIGHT

Kicker Ryan Longwell, in his most extensive live action of training camp, had a perfect morning practice.

Longwell kicked a 48-yard field goal to end one two-minute drive and a 39-yarder to cap another. He then went 6 for 6 from various distances and angles during a rapid-fire kicking drill.

Longwell finished with a 49-yard, beat-the-clock effort, making it a 9-for-9 practice for the eighth-most accurate field-goal kicker in NFL history.

WHO'S HOT

Linebacker E.J. Henderson is on his way to retiring this award.

The Vikings' starting weak-side linebacker, whose big hits have been almost a daily occurrence during training camp, showed off his coverage skills with a nifty one-handed interception of a Brad Johnson pass during the seven-on-seven portion of practice.

WHO'S NOT

Rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson and the second-team offense didn't fare too well against the second-team defense during the two-minute portion of practice.

Jackson missed a sideline pass to wide receiver Chris Jones to end one possession, was tagged for a sack by cornerback Dustin Fox on another and had a Hail Mary pass to wide receiver Billy McMullen fall harmlessly incomplete in the end zone.

WHO'S HURT

• Wide receiver Koren Robinson was held out of practice to rest his swollen right knee but said he expects to return today and will play Monday night against Oakland.

• Backup center Jason Whittle left practice early because of a rapid heart rate but is not expected to miss any time.

• Running back Ciatrick Fason sat out practice because of a concussion he suffered Wednesday.

• Wide receiver Marcus Robinson was held out after twisting his neck in a handoff drill Wednesday.

• Offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie returned to practice with a wrap to protect a partial fracture in his left hand.

• Safety Darren Sharper (hamstring) participated in the full practice.

• Rookie cornerback Charles Gordon (knee) is off crutches and said he hopes to be back in two weeks.

THEY SAID IT

"You know what, there's not a game that I haven't gone out to since I've been coaching that I don't have butterflies involved. And that goes for preseason games."

— Brad Childress, asked if he expects to be nervous for his head-coaching debut Monday night against the Oakland Raiders at the Metrodome.

— Don Seeholzer

THEY SAID IT (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15246966.htm)

whackthepack
08-11-2006, 04:11 PM
WHO'S HOT

Linebacker E.J. Henderson is on his way to retiring this award.

The Vikings' starting weak-side linebacker, whose big hits have been almost a daily occurrence during training camp, showed off his coverage skills with a nifty one-handed interception of a Brad Johnson pass during the seven-on-seven portion of practice.

Everything I have seen written about him or video he is either sticking RB's or receivers or intercepting a pass. This is great to see and let's hope that this is not just a training camp hero scenario, and that he is as effective the whole season.

Mr. Purple
08-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Glad to see McKinnie back on the field (figured he would) and I like everything I'm hearing about E.J.He sounds like a monster on the weakside right now...can anyone say breakout year for E.J.?

Benet
08-11-2006, 04:38 PM
After all this hype, if EJ doesn't have a monster season some people on here are going to be hugely disappointed.

2beersTommy
08-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I dont like the fact that the"whos hurt" list is far larger than the "whos hot" list..and that only 1 player is on that list as well.

2beersTommy
08-11-2006, 04:56 PM
"Benet" wrote:

After all this hype, if EJ doesn't have a monster season some people on here are going to be hugely disappointed.

speaking of hype..I personally think the Vikes should have signed Rooney as their place kicker..he seems to have a knack for kicking balls..i dunno lol

seaniemck7
08-11-2006, 05:37 PM
For all you Gordon fans, its seems like his injury was not too serious. I may have missed some news over the past few days, but that sounds promising for him to get back to work.

tastywaves
08-11-2006, 05:50 PM
"Benet" wrote:

It's going to be hard for both EJ and Greenway to have monster seasons at weakside LB. Haven't been paying attention for a while, is EJ getting the nod over Chad as the starting WLB?

marcosMN
08-11-2006, 06:00 PM
"tastywaves" wrote:

"Benet" wrote:

It's going to be hard for both EJ and Greenway to have monster seasons at weakside LB. Haven't been paying attention for a while, is EJ getting the nod over Chad as the starting WLB?

I would sure hope so. I'd rather have a hard-hitting, pass-picking will in there. No offense to Chad, but... E.J. is the man right now.

Potus2028
08-11-2006, 06:01 PM
"2beersTommy" wrote:

I dont like the fact that the"whos hurt" list is far larger than the "whos hot" list..and that only 1 player is on that list as well.

IMO, injuries in preseason are mostly a bigger deal than they really are. its prolly just little things, and they arent practicing because it could turn into a big thing.

Ddawg84
08-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I want EJ starting more than anyone... I have always had huge hopes for him, and after watching him at camp this year he looks like a beast and is out performing any other linebacker we have! I just do want at some point to see Greenway start... thats why i really wish they would just move EJ back to the middle! Leber, EJ, Greenway.... i keep praying for that scenerio!

Charles Gordon is gunna be back before the preseason is actually over... that is awesome that he still has a good chance of making this team and not just being put on the practice squad!

petrodemos
08-11-2006, 06:50 PM
god nooooo, what are you praying for 200yds rushing yards vs the vikings every game? dont move him, if hes good at WLB keep him there, by all means, do not put him in the middle. he sucked last year in the middle. maybe greenway can take over lebers spot or middle. Harris im hoping can come back with a chip on his shoulder, otherwise let DT try middle, but if EJ is going to secure one LB spot lets let him do that, instead of have players in spots they cant play. EJ=WLB he proved he can play that spot and hes going to be good in that spot, move him to the middle and were going to have an added questionmark in our LB core. now lets secure the other two.

what happened to keith newman? hes was pretty good at SLB last year
edit: nevermind, he went to the dolphins.

Ddawg84
08-11-2006, 07:21 PM
I agree with you petrodemos that he should be playing where he has been exceling... but this is not the same Defense as last year... and we have new coaches that can teach him to be the middle linebacker he was brought in the league to play! Plus you said he sucked in the middle last year... and just to remind you we had a guy named Sam Cowart that was our middle linebacker last year... I guess I am just worried that EJ being in contract year is going to get screwed with the fact that they drafted Greenway to play that position for the future! But i guess we will see... I just hope with the way EJ has been playin that it all works out!