PDA

View Full Version : Pat Williams not practicing - why?

COJOMAY
07-31-2006, 10:23 PM
Pat Williams not practicing
http://vikingsnow.blogspot.com/
Posted by Sean Jenses - Pioneer Press
It is unclear why, but starting nose tackle Pat Williams is running and stretching with a Vikings staffer.

He does not have a uniform on, and his unit is working with their helmets on.

I have an inkling why he's not practicing but I don't want to speculate.

The mystery deepens!

Prophet
07-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Not sure.

Thought this was funny:

The players were issued nice mountain bikes. But the most distinctive bike belonged to cornernack Fred Smoot, who had a small dirt bike, replete with spinning rims.

skum
07-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Too hot for the biggest man on the team :)

BloodyHorns82
07-31-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah I wouldn't want Big Pat running around too much in this heat. I don't think he'd fair too well.

muchluv4smoot
07-31-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm guessing he probably didn't pass the conditioning test, which is probably for the best. We don't need a big guy like him pushing it too hard in the test, when it's so hot.

C-PepNSalt
07-31-2006, 10:34 PM
we all know what' he's capable of, i wouldn't be too worried!

BloodyHorns82
07-31-2006, 10:36 PM
I think he'd be better suited being wheeled around the field in a wheel chair on hot days like this. :lol: I love him though.

skum
07-31-2006, 10:37 PM
LOL SMOOT!!

The players were issued nice mountain bikes. But the most distinctive bike belonged to cornernack Fred Smoot, who had a small dirt bike, replete with spinning rims.

Man i would like to see that..

SharperVikings
07-31-2006, 10:37 PM
"C-PepNSalt" wrote:

we all know what' he's capable of, i wouldn't be too worried!

Yes, but hopefully they are working him a little bit, so he can stay in shape! We dont want our fat pat to get winded every play, and have to come out because of it! :lol:

PurpleTide
08-01-2006, 12:03 AM
We need Big Pat to get his rump in shape! Hopefully this is not a problem down the road. Maybe it was just too hot, or his hydration wasn't right.

NodakVike
08-01-2006, 12:23 AM
http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikings/camp2006/photoviewer/73006/30.jpg

PurplePeopleEaters
08-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Fred Smoot rocks.

thepacksux
08-01-2006, 12:30 AM
at this point in pat's career, he knows exactly what he needs to do in order to be ready week one. I'm not worried.

NordicNed
08-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Pat W, was for sure one of our highlights last season, he should have made the Dam Pro Bowl in my opinion..

I can't wait to see what he brings to the field this season, the guy seems to give 110% all the time on the field, play after play...

One of my favorites on the team for sure.....

TheCol
08-01-2006, 01:16 AM
"skum" wrote:

LOL SMOOT!!

Man i would like to see that..

I have a pic of it. I was a pretty cool bike. I have to get a few things moved around by webby before I can add more photos as the usage space is full. When it's ready and I can get the rest of todays photos posted, I'll post that smoot bike also.

TheCol
08-01-2006, 01:17 AM
never mind. i seen one is up. hehe

nephilimstorm
08-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Smoot, has a nice bike prolly due to his mouth lol

briboy75
08-01-2006, 01:58 AM
KFan said Pat failed the conditioning test and thus is on the PUP list for the time being.

BadlandsVikings
08-01-2006, 02:04 AM
"briboy75" wrote:

KFan said Pat failed the conditioning test and thus is on the PUP list for the time being.It would kill the big man to workout in the awful heat,

Vikes_King
08-01-2006, 02:10 AM
yeah, they said that they would be having the conditioning tests early on in the morning long before any of the meetings or the practices

so im assuming that is what it would be

sabatajh
08-01-2006, 02:46 AM
I just heard on Kfan on my way home that Pat failed the conditioning test and was sent home.... Any one else hear anything about this?

Vikes_King
08-01-2006, 02:49 AM
hmmmmmm i could see him failing the conditioning test and having to sit out certain things.......

but sending him home because he's fat!? hmmm idk

sabatajh
08-01-2006, 02:52 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

hmmmmmm i could see him failing the conditioning test and having to sit out certain things.......

but sending him home because he's fat!? hmmm idk

Thats what I would say but Sludge and Lake were saying that they respect Childress for sending him home to show no ones above the team and what not... my question is how long before he comes back? I think he is too important to our D-line to try to make an example of, not to mention he needs to be in camp to learn a new defensive scheme...

Vikes_King
08-01-2006, 02:59 AM
no ones above the team? just because he failed a conditioning test doesnt mean he cant be at training camp and participate in other ways

boognish
08-01-2006, 03:00 AM
He'll be fine!

Monday, July 31, 2006
Pat Williams on Active PUP List

Vikings coach Brad Childress said defensive tackle Pat Williams was placed on the active physically unable to perform (PUP) list Monday. Childress said Williams had lost 14 to 15 pounds, but he still did not meet his weight requirement Sunday. Williams also did not meet the team's cardiovascular goal for him.

COJOMAY
08-01-2006, 03:37 AM
From the Star/Tribune
Monday, July 31st, 2006 by Kevin Seifert

The Vikings placed nose tackle Pat Williams on the physically-unable-to-perform list today, meaning he is barred from practicing with the team.

Coach Brad Childress said that Williams reported to camp overweight. Apparently, Williams, 33, also did not pass his conditioning test this morning. Childress would not say how heavy Williams is, nor would he elaborate on Williams’ conditioning level. But Childress indicated Williams will need perhaps a week or more to get himself into practice-quality condition.

Childress has harped on conditioning since he took the Vikings job in January, and his decision to sideline Williams — one of the team’s best players in 2005 – is significant. There is now no doubt that Childress will use his hammer if players don’t meet his expectations.

Williams declined comment this afternoon. During team drills, free agent signee Ross Kolodziej worked in Williams’ spot with the first team.

shawn9876uss
08-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Maybe this will send a message to the rest of the team

Vikes_King
08-01-2006, 04:01 AM
eh, i guess the days of a buddy-buddy coach really are over ^_^

BadlandsVikings
08-01-2006, 04:38 AM
I wonder how big Phat Pat has gotten, It must be a lot.

WBLVikeBabe
08-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Man, that is really too bad. I hope that he'll be back soon, he plays a big factor in our D-line it'd be too bad to see him sitting out for this reason.

DaunteHOF
08-01-2006, 04:54 AM
As long as its nothing serious

Aberration
08-01-2006, 05:49 AM
Hope he responds well to the Pup demotion... kind of had a bad feeling the whole offseason about how he would respond to the new coach, the only thing he really said all offseason is that he has never run this much in his life had no idea if there was bitterness in the statement though

digital420
08-01-2006, 07:18 AM
i think it's a way to show the rest of the team especially the youngsters that there is only one rule.. B.chill's rule!!!

pat is 4 sure one of the guys who can understand a coach making a statement. and i hope he takes it to mean he needs to get into shape. they have some time to work on his game shape, but i doubt he'll be on the pup list for long.

even B.chill knows he's our anchor on that front line!!

DiGiTaL

revprodeji
08-01-2006, 08:31 AM
couple things...

good precautionary on the near anniversary of Stringer's death.

now, I have a question. i never played d-line. But on kfan today they made a big deal about Pat Williams not working well in this scheme. Well, what exactly changes for a NT in this scheme? Stop the run, take on the double team and run after the pretty boy with the ball. How does that change in any other system? Seriously. I know how the linebackers change and the secondary. But whats the big deal with the d-line?

cogitans
08-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Pat Williams training by himself for now
Concerns about conditioning put him on PUP list
BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15169163.htm)

MANKATO, Minn. — The Vikings held their first full-squad practice of training camp Monday without defensive tackle Pat Williams, who was placed on the active physically-unable-to-perform list because of concerns about his weight and cardiovascular conditioning.

Coach Brad Childress was a little vague on the details, but he said enough to make it clear Williams also failed the team's morning conditioning test.

"I really think it was a few of those factors," Childress said. "We had a weight we were shopping with him. We didn't like where he came, even though he was within pounds of that. We wanted him to get to a certain spot. He had done just a great job. He had lost 14 or 15 pounds in the offseason, steady coming down, and it got away from him. He's as disappointed as I am, but you know you've got to make that call, and he's going to have to spend some time here and pull it back together."

How much time is uncertain.

By rule, Williams is not eligible to participate in practices or any team activities while on the PUP list, and Childress wouldn't speculate on when the 10-year veteran might come off.

"I'd be remiss in hanging a day on it," he said. "I know you're not going to change any cardio in three days, just from talking to the trainers. … You've got to see where it ends up. They weigh in and weigh out, and we usually see where they're at in the morning because that's kind of a truer indicator."

The 6-foot-3 Williams, whose listed weight is 317 pounds, spent Monday's practice running and working out on an adjoining field with a member of the team's training staff.

Asked coming off the field why he hadn't practiced, he said: "Just chilling. Trying to get right." Williams never mentioned that he had been placed on the PUP list.

"I'm still here. I'm still good," Williams added. "I have to drop about five pounds, and I'll be ready."

Approached by two reporters after Childress' news conference, while leaving the locker room, Williams declined to comment.

Unlike injured reserve, there is no set time a player must remain on the PUP list, so the Vikings could activate Williams at any point.

While disappointed for the veteran starter, Childress emphasized there was nothing punitive about the move.

"I want to make sure he's not harming himself," he said. "He did a great job conditioning in springtime, and that weight was headed down. I just want to make sure he takes care of his business from a cardio standpoint with this heat."

During team drills Monday, free-agent defensive tackle Ross Kolodziej worked in Williams' spot with the first team.

Except for Williams, Childress said he was happy with the results of the conditioning tests, which were held at 8:30 a.m. to beat the heat.

"I would say the great majority were way, way, way better than average," Childress said. "I was pleased with their level of conditioning, by and large."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at dseeholzer@pioneerpress.com.

singersp
08-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Heat taking toll on Vikings camp

By DAVE CAMPBELL

MANKATO, Minn. (AP) - The late afternoon sun was searing when the Minnesota Vikings finished Monday's workout. Jerseys, helmets and shoulder pads were quickly shed, and tired players in grey, sweat-soaked T-shirts streamed toward the big tubs of icy water to cool their big bodies.

The first full-squad practice of training camp was, well, a little warm: 38 C heat index, as coach Brad Childress plainly stated, and a toasty temperature of 34 C. Hydration trumped hitting, for sure, especially because the Vikings weren't in full pads for the 85-minute session.

"Those guys are doing an outstanding job taking care of themselves," Childress said.

Though it wasn't the typical two-a-day on the Minnesota State campus, players did have a conditioning test in the morning that Childress deemed, "by and large" a success.

Pat Williams, however, has some work to do. He was placed on the physically unable to perform list when Childress decided the six-foot-three defensive tackle - who is coming off his best season - should be in better shape. The move was also made, the first-year coach said, out of concern for the 10-year veteran's health and condition in the extreme heat.

Williams, listed in team publications at 317 pounds, plays closer to 340 and was apparently well above that this winter. He dropped about 15 pounds this spring, Childress said while praising Williams' effort, and he's currently near the weight the Vikings want. But he'll be doing cardiovascular activities with the medical staff while his teammates focus on football.

By league rules, players on the active PUP list are not allowed to participate in practice.

"He's as disappointed as I am," Childress said, "but we've got to make that call, and he's got to spend some time here and pull it back together."

Since their big right tackle, Korey Stringer, died of heatstroke following a sweltering practice in 2001, the Vikings and the rest of the NFL have increased measures for keeping players from harm.

"I don't think you fear it if you prepare for it," Childress said.

The team is testing players' urine to watch for susceptibility to dehydration and giving some of them special pills that monitor body temperature - along with making sure plenty of ice, water and shade is available on the field.

"The heat's good," guard Chris Liwienski said. "It gets you in condition, but too much can be a little dangerous. We're taking all the precautions."

Liwienski stopped next to a fence near the practice field entrance to talk, clutching a fast-disappearing bottle of Gatorade in one hand. He's one of only three players left from 2001 - exactly five years ago Tuesday - when Stringer died.

"He definitely enters in my thoughts from time to time. There's no doubt about it," Liwienski said. "I played a number of good years with him, and he's still dearly missed."

Heat taking toll on Vikings camp (http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2006/07/31/1712545-ap.html)

singersp
08-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Weighty problem for Williams

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
Last update: July 31, 2006 – 11:16 PM

MANKATO - The Vikings placed nose tackle Pat Williams on the physically unable to perform list Monday, apparently concerned about his weight and conditioning levels on the first day of full-squad workouts.
Coach Brad Childress said Williams reported Sunday heavier than his prescribed weight and also indicated Williams did not pass Monday morning's conditioning test. Childress said Williams is "within pounds" of his prescribed weight but that he wanted "to make sure [Williams] is not a harm to himself." Williams was listed at 317 pounds in last year's media guide.

"He's as disappointed as I am," Childress said. " you've got to make that call, and he's going to have to spend some time here and pull it back together."

Williams, 33, was one of the Vikings' top defensive players last season, compiling 66 tackles. But Childress has been harping on conditioning and weight levels since taking the Vikings job in January, and Williams was among the players he targeted.

Childress said Williams did a "great job" during the spring strength and conditioning program, losing 14 or 15 pounds. Since then, however, Williams' weight "got away from him," Childress said.

Williams declined comment after Monday's practice. Childress would not speculate on how long Williams will be on the P.U.P list, which prohibits him from practicing with the team. But Childress did say that "you're not going to change any cardio in three days."

As for Williams' weight, Childress said the team will hold off on activating him until he reaches his prescribed weight and maintains it for a period of time.

During team drills Monday, veteran free agent Ross Kolodziej worked at nose tackle with the first team.

[b]Etc.

• Receiver Koren Robinson said Monday he was pleased with his offseason decision to take classes in an effort to maintain his sobriety. "There's no distraction from me anywhere," he said. "I've got to do what I've got to do to better myself as a person, as a father, husband, brother, all that -- as a teammate. I just had to take some time for myself to get right. That's all pretty much. I don't want anybody to get worried about Koren or anything like that. Koren is good, this is the best Koren right now. I'm going to have fun, joke around, and come out here and make plays."

• The Vikings' conditioning test Monday morning included 16 half-gassers (goal line to the 50-yard line and back). The Vikings had a similar drill after their May minicamp but this time players had to complete each one in 19 seconds instead of 20. "It was pretty intense but the guys responded well," fullback Tony Richardson said.

• Receiver Billy McMullen, obtained from Philadelphia in an offseason trade, changed his jersey number from 84 to 12. McMullen said he prefers wearing a number in the teens. McMullen also would have been the first Viking to wear 84 since receiver Randy Moss was dealt to Oakland. "It's something you don't need," McMullen said of the possible distraction.

• Napoleon Harris worked with the first team at middle linebacker, playing between E.J. Henderson and Ben Leber. Dontarrious Thomas was with the second unit. At safety, Tank Williams and Dwight Smith both saw time with the first team opposite Darren Sharper.

• Defensive lineman Manase Hopoi did not practice because of a swollen foot.

Weighty problem for Williams (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/586903.html)

cogitans
08-01-2006, 12:21 PM
"singersp" wrote:

:scratch: Didn't I read in a thread earlier in the offseason that Pat was in shape?

I think it's overdone somewhat at this point, because it is the story of the day. Childress stated that he started out fine, and has lost 14-15 pounds, but in the end it 'got away from him'. So he must have been looking to go in the right direction at some point, and therefore as working to get in better shape.

He is apparently 'within the area' of where he needs to be - 5 pounds according to himself - so they are just helping him to get down there, and not taking any risks with his health. Him beeing a big guy in that heat is not two things that mix well.

singersp
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

:scratch: Didn't I read in a thread earlier in the offseason that Pat was in shape?

I think it's overdone somewhat at this point, because it is the story of the day. Childress stated that he started out fine, and has lost 14-15 pounds, but in the end it 'got away from him'. So he must have been looking to go in the right direction at some point, and therefore as working to get in better shape.

He is apparently 'within the area' of where he needs to be - 5 pounds according to himself - so they are just helping him to get down there, and not taking any risks with his health. Him beeing a big guy in that heat is not two things that mix well.

Yeah, I picked that up when I read the article I posted after that, so I edited my first post.

cogitans
08-01-2006, 12:29 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Yeah, I picked that up when I read the article I posted after that, so I edited my first post.

Oops. I guess I caught you before the edit. Do you want me to remove my post.

singersp
08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
"cogitans" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"cogitans" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Oops. I guess I caught you before the edit. Do you want me to remove my post.

Nope! You saw my question & responded to it. It's what I had expected someone to do. :wink:

Benet
08-01-2006, 12:44 PM
No biggie.. Half of the Patriots' squad is on the PUP list.

magicci
08-01-2006, 11:14 PM
why isn't CJ Mosley taking his spot?

Vikes_King
08-02-2006, 12:09 AM
thats what i was wondering.

oh well, Phat Pat will come back Not-as-Phat Pat and dominate once again, im really proud of the way he's reacting to this move, and really glad we have a coach that sticks by what he says

thetrenches68OL
08-02-2006, 03:53 AM
let the man practice it will only help him loose weight

BadlandsVikings
08-02-2006, 04:22 AM
"thetrenches68OL" wrote:

let the man practice it will only help him loose weightI think that would kill him in the heat.

thetrenches68OL
08-02-2006, 04:49 AM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

"thetrenches68OL" wrote:

let the man practice it will only help him loose weightI think that would kill him in the heat.

speaking of heat i hope it cools off before my big A$$ has to report for camp lol

Aberration
08-02-2006, 05:10 AM
Seems odd to me too that Mosely isn't taking the spot too...
anyone else notice the "bottom line" on Kfan where they are listing their ranking of the roster 44 to 68 thus saying who is going to get cut
on it they have both Spencer Johnson and Mosely getting cut, but its crap as they also have Ray Edwards getting cut which isn't going to happen as he's a 2006 draft pick bottom line (http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikings/camp2006/index.html)

kind of fun anyway

ZDoy379
08-02-2006, 05:19 AM
mcmullen changed his number to twelve. thast gay i like wrs to have the typical 80's numbers. he should have just taken 80. i mean nobody is ever gonna take 84 again i dont think. i know i wouldnt unless i was calvin johnson or dwyane jarret.

whackthepack
08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
"Aberration" wrote:

Seems odd to me too that Mosely isn't taking the spot too...
anyone else notice the "bottom line" on Kfan where they are listing their ranking of the roster 44 to 68 thus saying who is going to get cut
on it they have both Spencer Johnson and Mosely getting cut, but its crap as they also have Ray Edwards getting cut which isn't going to happen as he's a 2006 draft pick bottom line (http://www.kfan.com/pages/vikings/camp2006/index.html)

kind of fun anyway

I agree Mosley played great when he was filling in last year as a rookie and he has the talent to be Pat's successor.

singersp
08-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Posted on Thu, Aug. 03, 2006

Agent defends Williams

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

MANKATO, Minn. — Vikings coach Brad Childress was diplomatic and even complimentary of Pat Williams in announcing that the veteran defensive tackle would start training camp on the physically unable to perform list on Monday.

But Williams' agent, Angelo Wright, defended his client Wednesday after a blunt analysis of the veteran.

"It creates a public perception that Pat's out of shape, when he's actually lighter than he was last year at training camp," Wright said. "He participated in the whole offseason program. I doubt he ate himself into oblivion in the last few weeks."

Tomlin, though, said of Williams' conditioning, "He's not where he needs to be."

Asked if that is disappointing, Tomlin said, "Absolutely.

"It's disappointing for me, it's disappointing for his teammates, and it's disappointing for him," Tomlin said. "We've got one standard here in physical conditioning, in preseason and in anything else. As of right now, he's not up to snuff, so he's got some work to do."

Tomlin declined to provide a timetable for Williams to return.

Williams declined comment Wednesday.

Wright, though, doesn't mind that his client is on the PUP.

"PUP is a nice way to keep a player from getting hurt early," Wright said. "Pat's in shape. But they deemed him to be a little heavy. That's their right."

Teammates suggested there is no rift between Williams and the coaches, with several players saying that the club is just being cautious.

"I'm sure he'd like to be out there," defensive end Darrion Scott said. "The first day I got here, when I found out, he wasn't happy that he wasn't going to be out there. But as days go by, we understand that we need Pat during the season. As long as Pat is out here and running and staying in shape, and losing weight, we appreciate him coming out every day and working."

Bennett traded to Chiefs: Running back Michael Bennett will be in Mankato for training camp this year, after all. The Kansas City Chiefs traded an undisclosed draft pick to the New Orleans Saints for Bennett, who played his first five NFL seasons with the Vikings.

As long as he passes a physical, Bennett should be in Mankato for the Chiefs-Vikings practices Friday.

Chiefs President Carl Peterson said Bennett would be a backup to Larry Johnson.

"It's good that he's found a place where they can use him," Vikings running back Mewelde Moore said of Bennett.

Moore hung out with Bennett throughout the offseason. He said Bennett remained in good spirits, despite the Saints' signing him and then drafting Reggie Bush with the No. 2 pick.

"It was tough for him in New Orleans, when they drafted Reggie Bush," Vikings tight end Jermaine Wiggins said. "But Michael can play in this league; he rushed for over 1,000 yards one season."

Briefly: Vikings receiver Koren Robinson said he wants to return kicks but hasn't been told one way or the other.

"I just know that (Childress) said everyone will be on at least one special teams," Robinson said.

• Tomlin on the long-standing skirmishes between the Vikings and Chiefs during training camp: "We're not naive. We realize that tempers run hot from time to time, but that has nothing to do with developing winning football, and that's why we're here. In no way do we condone those kinds of activities, and if they occur they will be dealt with."

• Safety Dwight Smith returned to practice after missing some of the Tuesday afternoon practice because of cramps.

Sean Jensen can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

Agent defends Williams (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15184387.htm)

Del Rio
08-03-2006, 12:15 PM
His agent sounds like a numbnut.

PUP is a good way to start because it keeps my client from getting hurt........LMAO!!! Yeah it keeps your client from learning the new system and helping the team too.

I like Tomlin thus far. He says it like it is. Just by exsisting he is already 100X better then Cottrell.

AngloVike
08-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Given the Vikes history with heat and players you'd think that the agent would be onto his client to ensure that he reported to camp in the condition that the team required. To say that he's lighter than last year is not enough, if the team think he's too heavy now then thats the way it is. Standards are changing each year and what was previously acceptable by teams might not be now.
Also it may be that the Vikes have a sliding scale of what players can be for off-season compared to pre-season. Lets not forget that the first game is only 11 days off so there is less time to have a player trying to make the standard.
At this point I like Tomlin's and Childress's moves on this, no-one likes to see a good player not being able to contribute, but if its because he's not doing what is required then he has only himslef to blame.

singersp
08-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Posted on Thu, Aug. 03, 2006

HEAVY ISSUE

NFL:The weight of one member of the Minnesota Vikings is no longer a joke.

BY JON KRAWCZYNSKI
ASSOCIATED PRESS

MANKATO, Minn. - Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Pat Williams' rotund frame has always been a punch line.

Listed at 317 pounds in the team media guide, jokes like, "You mean his high school media guide?" have become common around here.

No one is laughing now.

One of the leaders of the Vikings' defense has missed the first three days of training camp because of weight and conditioning issues, and defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin called the situation "disappointing" on Wednesday.

With temperatures soaring early in the week, Williams was placed on the active physically unable to perform list after showing up to camp a few pounds overweight and slightly out of shape. But even after heavy rain cooled things off, Williams still was not in uniform.

Coach Brad Childress has reasons to be cautious. He was coaching in Philadelphia five years ago on the day when massive Vikings tackle Korey Stringer collapsed in the sweltering heat in Mankato. Stringer's heatstroke death cast a pall over the franchise and prompted every team to examine how it conducts training camp.

"He isn't where he needs to be," Tomlin said bluntly. "It's disappointing for me, it's disappointing for his teammates, it's disappointing for him. We've got one standard here in physical conditioning, in preseason and in anything else. As of right now, he's not up to snuff so he's got some work to do."

Williams, who struggled in a conditioning test on Monday but did not appear to be much heavier than he usually is, declined an interview request.

Coming off a career season in which he narrowly missed the Pro Bowl, the Vikings need Williams to be the run-stuffing nose tackle in Tomlin's new "Tampa 2" defense. Tomlin, the former secondary coach in Tampa Bay, envisions Williams as the Vikings' version of Booger McFarland -- a disruptive, athletic and powerful force in the middle.

Williams showed he could be just that last season. Playing closer to 340 pounds didn't keep the 10-year veteran from running sideline-to-sideline to chase down running backs, quarterbacks and sometimes even receivers.

He has dealt with weight issues his entire career, and most of his teammates didn't think Williams would have much trouble getting things under control.

"Pat's doing real good," cornerback Fred Smoot said. "They're just trying to take special precautions, make sure everything's good. Nothing's actually big about the situation."

Nothing, that is, except for "Big Pat." His teammates endearingly gave the jovial Williams that moniker, though it refers more to his play on the field than the reading on the scale.

More than just a hole-plugger who gobbles up blocks to free up his teammates, Williams led all Vikings defensive linemen with 88 tackles and nine tackles for loss last season.

Perhaps that's why Tomlin was so pointed in his remarks on Wednesday -- he knows how important Williams is to the success of his defense, which is predicated on the front four putting pressure on the quarterback and stopping the run.

Playing alongside former All-Pro Kevin Williams, Tomlin thinks the two friends can create the kind of havoc on the interior that McFarland and Warren Sapp did for so many years in Tampa.

Tomlin didn't set a timeline for Pat Williams' return, saying "that will be determined based on his progress."

Childress was a little less pointed earlier in the week, when he first placed Williams on the active PUP list, which means he cannot practice or workout with the team.

"He had done just a great job. He had lost 14 or 15 pounds in the offseason, steady coming down, and it got away from him," Childress said. "He's as disappointed as I am. You've got to make that call and he's going to have to spend some time here and pull it back together."

When Pat Williams does get back, everyone better watch out.

"Pat's hungry to get out here," Smoot said, pardon the pun. "He wants to get him a piece."

HEAVY ISSUE (http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/15187212.htm)

digital420
08-03-2006, 01:16 PM
i'm not worried about phat pat's playing ability. nor am i worried about his conditioning.. i'm sure the coaches will get him to where they think he'll be able to play his best.

ohh our D is gonna hurt people!!!!

DiGiTaL

whackthepack
08-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Pat did not have 88 tackles last year he had 66!

41 solos and 25 assists.

Del Rio
08-03-2006, 03:05 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Pat did not have 88 tackles last year he had 66!

41 solos and 25 assists.

I was thinking that was a bit high lol.

Then again 66 tackles for a guy who doesn't play every snap is not bad at all.

Prophet
08-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Blast from the past right after Childress came aboard Vikings 6-foot-3, 317-pound nose tackle Pat Williams, to Childress: "Don't worry about anything; I've got your back."

Del Rio
08-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Prophet:

Email me, ever since I moved jobs my PM's are filtered.
harms_2001@msn.com

Prophet
08-03-2006, 05:29 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Prophet:

harms_2001@msn.com

Just sent one. p.s. http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RPM40/438.gif :cool:

Del Rio
08-03-2006, 05:40 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Prophet:

harms_2001@msn.com

Just sent one. p.s. http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a83/RPM40/438.gif :cool:

I can't check it until I get home.....I have NEWS...... :twisted:

singersp
08-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Rift Between Vikes and Pat Williams? (http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=552505)

whackthepack
08-04-2006, 02:31 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Rift Between Vikes and Pat Williams? (http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=93&p=2&c=552505)

At this point I don't think it is much to be concerned about, but if it goes on for a long time Pat could start to get pissed and want out of here. I hope that is does not come to that and that he can start to practice with the team soon.

singersp
08-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Williams will be back soon

Vikings coach Brad Childress said Friday night that nose tackle Pat Williams should be cleared for practice "hopefully in the not-too-far future."

Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
Last update: August 05, 2006 – 1:45 AM

MANKATO - Vikings coach Brad Childress said Friday night that nose tackle Pat Williams should be cleared for practice "hopefully in the not-too-far future." The pronouncement came several hours after the two men engaged in a cordial discussion about Williams' status during a morning workout.

"I think he understands where I'm coming from," Childress said. "And I understand where he's coming from. So he's got his nose to the grindstone."

Williams has been on the physically-unable-to-perform (P.U.P.) list since Monday, when he reported to camp several pounds overweight and apparently did not pass a precamp conditioning test. He has declined to comment, but his agent, Angelo Wright, continued to downplay the situation.

"He's not out of shape," Wright said. "He's just a little heavy."

As long as he is on the P.U.P list, Williams cannot practice with the team. Childress indicated he is targeting a low-contact practice for Williams' return to help ease the transition.

"I don't think it's fair to reintroduce him on a day when we're really tumbling around," he said. "He's got to build that football conditioning, too."

Childress' practice schedule calls for the Vikings to practice in shorts this morning, but they will be in full pads this afternoon and will have at least one full-pads practice for each of the next seven days."

Williams' spot with the first-team defense has been filled by veteran Ross Kolodziej.

Chiefs highlights

As promised, the Vikings' practice Friday night with Kansas City was just that: a practice. Tackling was strictly prohibited, and a crowd of about 7,500 saw about 1½ hours of drills.

Childress spent the entire practice with the offense and said: "I'd say they're solid, but they're not the finished product. This is one week of training camp through the process."

Previous Vikings-Chiefs practices have been marred by fights, but hardly any shoving erupted Friday night.

"It felt good," tight end Jermaine Wiggins said. "We had a good tempo. Obviously we're taking care of each other. Both sides. The coaching staff did a great job on both sides of having guys go out there and being professional about it. No scuffling, none of that dumb stuff. We went out there and got a lot done."

One offensive highlight included the play of receiver Troy Williamson, who made several strong receptions inside. On one play, Williamson made a diving catch after Chiefs cornerback Julian Battle missed an attempt to tip the pass.

"He had a couple tries where he was in traffic," Childress said. "I was pleased to see him get them."

Etc.

• Rookie cornerback Charles Gordon has cartilage damage in his left knee, Childress said, and will undergo surgery Monday. Gordon's star had been rising in camp, but he will miss at least the rest of the preseason and seems destined for injured reserve.

• Receiver Marcus Robinson had a death in the family and will miss practice today.

Williams will be back soon (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/596889.html)

whackthepack
08-05-2006, 02:14 PM
That's good news and hope he gets in practice soon enough to play against the Raiders next weekend.

Mr. Purple
08-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Yea, a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.I really wanna see Pat in camp asap, we need him in there.

Prophet
08-05-2006, 06:17 PM
KFFL
Vikings | P. Williams should return soon
Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:12:24 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings DL Pat Williams should be cleared for practice "hopefully in the not-too-far future," according to head coach Brad Childress. Childress made the announcement several hours after he engaged Williams in a cordial discussion. Childress added, "I think he understands where I'm coming from. And I understand where he's coming from. So he's got his nose to the grindstone."

=============================================

Vikings | P. Williams activated from PUP list
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 09:27:29 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings DL Pat Williams has been activated from the physically unable to perform list.

Mr. Purple
08-07-2006, 03:51 PM
http://vikingsnow.blogspot.com/

Looks like Pat is back at it today!

vike_mike
08-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Fantastic news. Get the big man back into the mix of things.

singersp
08-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Pat Williams back at practice with Vikings

Associated Press

MANKATO, Minn. - The Minnesota Vikings activated Pat Williams from the physically unable to perform list, and the defensive tackle was back on the field practicing with the team on Monday.

Williams declined to comment. He worked out with trainers for the first week of camp, after coach Brad Childress decided he wasn't in good enough condition. Williams just missed meeting the weight targeted for him by the Vikings.

Listed at 317 pounds in team publications, Williams normally plays much heavier than that and didn't appear to be any bigger than he was last season, when he had a career year and led Minnesota linemen with 88 tackles - nine for loss.

Childress was not available to the media Monday. He made a brief comment about Williams' return during an appearance on KFAN-AM radio, indicating that Williams was in better condition but that he still has plenty of work to get back in football shape.

Pat Williams back at practice with Vikings (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/15218976.htm)

cajunvike
08-08-2006, 01:26 AM
'Cause you know he's about to rip sh!t up! - Dre

whackthepack
08-08-2006, 04:24 AM
when he had a career year and led Minnesota linemen with 88 tackles - nine for loss.

I guess I don't understand why the national media keeps saying he had 88 tackles and I have checked on the NFL site, the Viking site and ESPN and everybody has him at 66 tackles not 88.