09-04-2004, 09:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1874795
I was suprised TC was cut and Ben Nelson but oh well

jackyl
09-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Derek Ross :lol: :lol:

vikesfan
09-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Personally, I'm a little disappointed with Derek Ross being cut. I don't know a lot about him and I've only seen him play in the Seattle game, but with our lack of depth at CB who does that leave us with? And although he did have two holding penalties against Seattle, one of those was a bad call and he also made a great play when he dove infront of a Seattle receiver and almost picked off a ball.

I am also disappointed that Tyrone Carter was cut. I know that he was hurt and couldn't help us out for the next month or so, but I thought that he was a very good backup safety. Now I'm even more worried about our depth at CB and Safety then I was a week ago. But I guess Tice knows what he's doing. I really hope that Cottrell had a say in what defensive players were cut. I'm sure he probably did. I would just feel much better knowing that he chose which players on defensive would stay and which ones wouldn't.

VikingsTw
09-04-2004, 11:30 PM
yeah i'm pretty pissed off with dereck ross and tyrone bein cut, especailly tyrone maybe he was healing to slowy but he was about all we had in depth at safety and i dont know what happened to ross, i thought he was good to make the team. Oh well.

daredevil25
09-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Well I said a while back D-Ross was nothing to get hyped over. Cut 4 times in less than a year (9 months I believe) and not a change to be spotted.

Oh well, atleast you guys didnt go up in fireworks like we Falcon fans did.

whackthepack
09-05-2004, 12:09 AM
I am a little shocked at the cuts, how many tight ends are we keeping? We need some back-ups in or D backfield.

thepacksux
09-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Latest news is we are looking at trading for backup safeties, and the titans have publicly made 2 safeties available. meanwhile we have an injury settlement with TC which means we can bring him back after week six, which is about the time he would be healthy anyways... We will need him for a serious playoff run

VikemanX84
09-05-2004, 01:30 PM
So far I think we suck at cutting. I don't think Lesnar should have been cut, and not TC, I don't think Ross either. (On a side not, just because he was cut 4 times in 9 months doesn't mean he sucks, it seems to me Kurt Warner, a two-time NFL MVP, was bagging groceries before playing for the Rams.)

And again, I know Tice was a TE, and I know he really likes having depth at the position, but this seems rather rediculous to me.

Also, Jermaine Mays seems to be a good special teams player.

I really, really, wish we have kept Jack Brewer though.

casper
09-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the artical Dart, these coaches have to see something we don't there are some pretty good past players that where cut :scratch:

VikingsTw
09-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah those cuts are made for a certain reason, wich we dont know, but i strongly agree with Vikeman we should have kept Jack Brewer not only was he a bomb specail teamer he was a good backup safety it just didnt make sense. I just got done watching the game and i was pretty impressed with Offord he's really good in the run game but needs to improve in the passing game, and Eiland looked really good to, he was all over the place i hate when coaches move players out of position, Eiland needs to stay safety.

sdvikefan
09-05-2004, 09:26 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

I am a little shocked at the cuts, how many tight ends are we keeping? We need some back-ups in or D backfield.

According to VU, Jermaine Wiggins had not been meeting expectations and was told he was playing for his roster spot. But his play in the last game as well as the injury to Angulo kind of sealed it for him. Seems like Tice is keeping Dugan and Richard Owens on the roster to give Wiggins some competition in the hopes that he will earn his spot.

To me it sounds like Tice had big plans for Wiggins and is kind of disappointed with him. So I think it was probably a good call to keep those backup TEs. Bottom line is Tice had to trim the roster down and that meant ditching some players we probably need but it's a tough call to make and I trust him on it.

hawaiianvike21
09-06-2004, 06:51 AM
We would have never kept lensar on the team. He would have been a waste of space as he doesnt have a lot of experience playing the game. We'll put him through nfl europe and keep him on the practice squad then waste a roster spot on him that hasnt done much at all this preseason.

triedandtruevikesfan
09-06-2004, 10:42 AM
We have to cut players to put them on the practice squad, some of those rookies that might be good some day will probably end up coming back as part of our practice squad

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2004, 01:03 PM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

According to VU, Jermaine Wiggins had not been meeting expectations and was told he was playing for his roster spot. But his play in the last game as well as the injury to Angulo kind of sealed it for him. Seems like Tice is keeping Dugan and Richard Owens on the roster to give Wiggins some competition in the hopes that he will earn his spot.

To me it sounds like Tice had big plans for Wiggins and is kind of disappointed with him. So I think it was probably a good call to keep those backup TEs. Bottom line is Tice had to trim the roster down and that meant ditching some players we probably need but it's a tough call to make and I trust him on it.

Anyone remember me saying that tice was way too high on wiggins? Sounds like he is starting to realize he was wrong about how good wiggins is. I really like angulo, what is the deal with him? Is he injured badly, or was he cut? I think he could be more of the receiving TE we have been looking for.

I can't believe we cut ross and kept rhett nelson, that is a dumb move. Nelson was beat on almost every pass that went his way in preseason. Ross may have gotten some penalties, but at least he was being aggressive and was near his man when the ball got there. I really didn't see anything that said ross wasn't good enough to make our final 53. I doubt this, but I hope tice puts him on practice squad and brings him back when he is 100% healthy.

I couldn't believe what I read, when I saw TC was cut, but now I understand the logic in that move.

Nick rogers should have never been moved to DE. He was a good LB and should have stayed at LB. He should still be a vike, as a LB, and raonall smith should have been cut.

sdvikefan
09-06-2004, 07:53 PM
But I do remember you said we need a TE who can go deep down the middle to take advantage of the cover 2 most teams throw at us and that Wiggins might be it, not Kleinsasser. I had thought Kleinsasser could be that but apparently Tice and co. do not. It does make sense the more I think about it though...we need someone to do the kind of thing Byron Chamberlain was supposed to do.

Angulo had been doing very well in camp but he had a knee injury and is now on IR. I guess he was actually pushing Wiggins for the starting spot. He might be the TE we are looking for but he's out so I think Tice kept these other guys to do the same thing Angulo was doing which is push Wiggins.

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2004, 08:11 PM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

But I do remember you said we need a TE who can go deep down the middle to take advantage of the cover 2 most teams throw at us and that Wiggins might be it, not Kleinsasser. I had thought Kleinsasser could be that but apparently Tice and co. do not. It does make sense the more I think about it though...we need someone to do the kind of thing Byron Chamberlain was supposed to do.

Angulo had been doing very well in camp but he had a knee injury and is now on IR. I guess he was actually pushing Wiggins for the starting spot. He might be the TE we are looking for but he's out so I think Tice kept these other guys to do the same thing Angulo was doing which is push Wiggins.

I still think wiggins isn't that TE. We need someone to be that TE though and jimmy can't do it. Is angulo out for the year or how long?

sdvikefan
09-06-2004, 08:14 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"sdvikefan" wrote:

I still think wiggins isn't that TE. We need someone to be that TE though and jimmy can't do it. Is angulo out for the year or how long?

Yep done for the season at least that's what I read. Too bad, he sounded like someone we could use.

muchluv4smoot
09-06-2004, 08:32 PM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"sdvikefan" wrote:

Yep done for the season at least that's what I read. Too bad, he sounded like someone we could use.

Man, that sucks. I think angulo can be a really good TE in this league. He looked good going downfield this preseason, a hell of a lot better than wiggins did.

whackthepack
09-07-2004, 12:01 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"sdvikefan" wrote:

The money we are paying these 2 tight ends they should step up and get it done!

Also Byron Chamberlain was released by Denver.