PDA

View Full Version : what will happen to our running backs?

TheMaineViking
09-01-2004, 10:20 PM
i like having all these guys in the backfield and right now looks like we need it. but it isn't gonna be this way forever. used to be before free agency you could do this kind of thing but not anymore. here is what i think will happen.

michael bennett will remain the starter and get most yards and carries as long as he stays healthy. moe williams is just awesome but his time is almost over. mewelde will become the next moe williams getting goal line and 3rd down carries.

larry ned is a great player and on most teams would probably be a good #3 or even #2 back if he got the chance but because we have so many good backs he hasn't. but he will stick around for depth purposes.

onterrio smith is a moron. i really hate this guy right now. we need him as a reliable #2 back with bennett still injury prone but instead the guy goes out and blows it with this stupid drug suspension. i don't know how long bennett will be out for but if he sits out the first couple of games, smith could have proven himself against two very good defenses which he did not face last year. but not now. if bennett gets hurt again we will need onterrio. but if bennett stays healthy for the next couple years, i say we let smith go at the end of his rookie contract. i don't care what he can do on the field. the guy has no discipline. i really hope he proves me wrong.

but somebody in this backfield will be gone in the near future and i think it will be and should be onterrio smith UNLESS he changes his ways and proves himself able to carry the full load in bennetts absence.

dart18
09-01-2004, 10:28 PM
im sick of Bennets inconsistency, our for 3 games maybe?? are you kidding, trade him and draft a RB next year, i have no patience for him any more or Onterio, Moe is the best we got and he should be rewarded

TheMaineViking
09-01-2004, 10:32 PM
trade bennett just because he gets injured...no way. remember robert smith was always injured but we still got lots of good games out of him. keep bennett, trade onterrio. he still has not proven himself and even though he could have had the chance he blew it.

pepper 0n moss
09-01-2004, 10:44 PM
umm, looking back to last year, i think we were 6-1 without the services of bennett. when he came back for that game against the pack, we ended up losing and went on a 3-6 downhill stumble.

do we really need bennett's "homerun capability"? the patriots won it 2 times in the past 3 years with a guy by the name of antwoine smith. the bucs won it with mike alstott [a fullback] leading the way.

i think running games are overrated, personally. i bet teams can get by just fine with 3 decent backs who gain about 300-500 yards each instead of having a marquee back.

TheMaineViking
09-01-2004, 10:58 PM
that losing streak had absolutely nothing to do with bennett coming back.

moe did his job for us but you could tell the running game was lacking with bennett out. it took both williams and smith to even come close to getting bennett's production.

can't compare us to the pats they have a very different offense from ours. we rely much more on the running game than they do.

VikingsTw
09-02-2004, 12:43 AM
Man u guys are harsh on onterrio the guy made a freakin mistake we are all human i bet it won't happen again. I stand to defend him, he smoked some bud yeah hes a pro but damn its not like the third time he did it if he does it again we know he has a problem but jease this was his first problem since bein on the team. We cant just judge the guy because he smoked some bud he didnt kill anybody. I bet some of u guys were saying this same shit when moss had his issues but now u love him cause he hasnt had any problems lately. Thats the thing with some fans when a player is in a slump, they go to the second option. Last year when culpepper was injured and had a little slump it was a huge deal but now he looks better than ever and i dont hear anything.

MaineViking i bet if u knew him personaly u wouldnt be saying this stuff about him. I bet u would be all over his bandwagon if he rushed for 1,600 yards this season. I like onterrio and i dont think he will make this same mistake twice.

By the way lets not even think about trading anybody, and worry about that stuff next year, for now they are gonna be on the team for the whole year.

dan3ski
09-02-2004, 12:47 AM
It is the third time for Smith that is why he got suspended

SKOL
09-02-2004, 02:16 AM
He failed 3 drug tests with the Vikings, and fell in the draft because he had Marijuana problems in college. I hope he's enjoying himself because his stupidity is eventually going to cost him millions of dollars. Look at the millions Ricky Williams has thrown away. I just don't get it. All this for a drug that's not even addictive. There's no excuse.

Nightgaunt
09-02-2004, 02:18 AM
I have to agree with Dart18, Bennet really needs to go, all he knows what to do as of lately is get injured. And to be honest he's not that great. OMG but he's fast. Plllleeasse, he gets hit by one guy and he crumples like a wet noodle. Im tired of him, and tired of splitting time between 3 different backs. Ditch his ass for some decent draft picks and get a RB, or maybe look to Buffalo, they have 2 better RB's far better then bennet imho.

muchluv4smoot
09-02-2004, 02:56 AM
This one is tough. We will definitely have to get rid of either bennett or onterrio at the end of this year, since they will both be in their last year of their contract and because both wanna be starters. I don't trust bennett to stay healthy at all, but I also don't trust onterrio to stay out of trouble. What do you do, when you can't trust either guy for different reasons?

Before onterrio got suspended, i would have said definitely get rid of bennett, but now it is hard to say. I still would lean towards keeping onterrio. He is clearly more of a complete RB and will be more durable. Tice would then need to sit down with him and say hey, we are going with you as our #1 guy, so you need to act like a professional and stay out of trouble.

These bennett injuries are really starting to get irritating!

casper
09-02-2004, 04:02 AM
ok i understand our frustrations about the teams running backs but just a couple of points that are missing here

One :scratch: we are going into the season with both of these "Stars" out of action :?: WTFO...

Two :shaking: does this mean mighty Moe, Mewelde, Avery,and Ned are what we have to start...

Folks I am here to say if these four guys work it out and run the ball for us put these other two yaho's on waiver, injury reseve, trade them for draft pick next year and lets play some football...

my humble opion 8)

by the way good post MaineViking and welcome aboard Nightgaunt good to see you jumping right in enjopy the board and the season

You can't hide from the purple pride 8)

Kleinsasser40
09-02-2004, 04:08 AM
Bennett is a good back. He can do a lot for the team, he just needs to stay healthy. I Did not see the injuries from last year, but look at the play that he got hurt on. ANYONE would get hurt if that happened to your leg. Injuries happen. I am just glad that the injury + suspention happened in an aera that we do have the most depth in. I mean, we've got Moe, Moore, AND Ned. The only one good enough to start I think would be Moe, but all three of them sharing the ball could make one helluva ordeal for the defense. I think we are find for the time being.

hawaiianvike21
09-02-2004, 04:19 AM
wow everyone seems so down on both rbs'. Granted one gets injured a lot but does that mean we have to trade him???? Remember we havent got rid of Raonall Smith just yet either so give bennett a chance.

As for onterrio, hes a good runner and a lot of athletes in the nlf do that kind of stuff that gets them in trouble. Just move on and get him into some kind of disciplinary class. Hes too good of talent to be throwing away.

Moe williams is on the downside of his career and hit the past the prime age at 30. Hes the one that will have to be replaced first then bennett or onterrio.

WE dont NEED A RB NEXT YEAR. We need DEFENSE!!!!!

Del Rio
09-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Basically unless you run the ball extreemly well the running game serves as a way to:

Run time down, Tire the opponents, set up play action, throw the fatties in the line a bone, they love nothing more then pulling and hitting a db!

So with our passing game and Pepper's running ability I'd say from what I've seen that we mainly set up the play action. Benett is scary he can break a 60 yarder easily, that keeps the defense on it's heals.

We don't need a well rounded back in our offense. We need one that has explosive speed to threatin the long run and that can block semi good.

Benett needs to stay healthy, and I think he will be around a long time. Having this many running backs doesn't hurt your team especially when they play well on special teams. Larry Ned for example will probably be held on to just because of his special team play.

Personally I think we are in a good situation. I give Onterio the benifit of the doubt. He has money now. He wanted to try some good stuff that he didn't have to sift through picking out stems and seeds. Now that he's had it time to play ball.

casper
09-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Dr. I hope you are right time will tell and Onterio could have shared with us some of those stems and seeds... but as they say no stems or seeds that we don't need Hawaiin weed is mighty bad @$$ weed...

whackthepack
09-02-2004, 09:25 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

He failed 3 drug tests with the Vikings, and fell in the draft because he had Marijuana problems in college. I hope he's enjoying himself because his stupidity is eventually going to cost him millions of dollars. Look at the millions Ricky Williams has thrown away. I just don't get it. All this for a drug that's not even addictive. There's no excuse.

If he would come out and say that I need help and while he is on vacation for the next 4 weeks if he would go to a rehab and get the help that he needs I would have some hope for him.

If he goes and hangs with his boys for the next month, he will be nailed again within the next year and then he is gone for a year. :pale:

muchluv4smoot
09-02-2004, 09:54 AM
"hawaiianvike21" wrote:

wow everyone seems so down on both rbs'. Granted one gets injured a lot but does that mean we have to trade him???? Remember we havent got rid of Raonall Smith just yet either so give bennett a chance.

As for onterrio, hes a good runner and a lot of athletes in the nlf do that kind of stuff that gets them in trouble. Just move on and get him into some kind of disciplinary class. Hes too good of talent to be throwing away.

Moe williams is on the downside of his career and hit the past the prime age at 30. Hes the one that will have to be replaced first then bennett or onterrio.

WE dont NEED A RB NEXT YEAR. We need DEFENSE!!!!!

No one is saying we need to trade them now, but next offseason we will have to pick one and get rid of the other. They both wanna be starters, and that obviously can't happen unless we trade one of them. They will both be in the last year of their contract, so we will have to pick one guy and trade the other. Otherwise, if we let them play out their contracts, one of them will leave and we will get nothing in return for that player.

Mewelde Moore will soon show that we have 4 very capable starting RB's on our team, and he will make it easy for us, to get rid of either benett or onterrio next offseason. What probably won't be easy, is choosing which one stays and which one goes.

whackthepack
09-02-2004, 11:09 AM
I think Bennett will over come this injury and will have an outstanding year! If weed-boy can come out and show the talent he displayed last that he did in the final month, then I think he will be good trade bait and we should keep bennet and trade the pot head because he will get nailed again.

dart18
09-02-2004, 11:12 AM
I know it sounds easy to say i dont want either due to different reasons, Moe is awesome and he and the others will no doubt get the job done but Bennett missed half the year last year and now atleast 2 games this year, if not three, it is so damn frustrating, some people have a tendency to get hurt, Bennett is in that category, also Roanall Smith should have been kicked off the team last year, as for Onterio, stupid is as stupid does, and he was but hopefully wont be stupid in the future, if he tests positive again he is bye bye so i hope he realizes that and maybe picks some new friends and new hobbies (build model cars, thats always cool), like espn said in an article this year "Has Playmakers tought us nothing??"

whackthepack
09-02-2004, 11:16 AM
less we forget Robert Smith went through 3 years of injuries before he finally got through them, and was a very productive back after that.

If he would have not retired and played out his remaining years as a Vike he would have probably held all of the Vikes rushing records.

bigdogbovy
09-02-2004, 12:21 PM
I beleive Bennett will be the back for the next 2 years. And his backup (successor) will be .....

Mwelde Moore

why? OS with one more violation recieves an indefinate suspension. this means trade the man. Moe is getting old. but will be a grest teacher escpecially for blocking.

Mwelde is a Priest Holmes. Priest is in his eighth year. he didn't comeout with a bang, wasn't even drafted. I saw him some back in 1998 then in 2000 and I said this guy is good can catch good running skills. I picked him as a sleeper for 2001 fantasy, and I was right!, even more right the following 2 years. I see that same thing in MM Bennett will last for 2 years, and we will probably trade him because MM is looking so good.

pepper 0n moss
09-02-2004, 01:00 PM
personally, i think we should start onterrio, regardless of his drug problems. onterrio is quick and strong, which means he can run the sweep as well as he goes up the middle.

start onterrio and have him wear down the opposing defense. then, when they're tired, throw in bennett so he can flash off his "homerun" ability. i have a feeling bennett is going to be the next fred taylor, a good caliber player who is almost always injured. i mean... getting an injury running on a treadmill??? come on now...

it's too early to tell whether or not mdub is a priest holmes caliber player. even if he was, i would hope that we don't give him the ball 30-40 times a game like they do with priest over in KC.

running back by committee is fine and we have enough explosiveness to get by with it. trust me people, i'd be worrying much more if i had an unproven guy like travis minor getting the carries out of our backfield. we have proven leadership in moe and a good change of pace depth with mdub and somewhat L-ned.

TheMaineViking
09-02-2004, 02:51 PM
yeah robert smith was injured a lot he only played one complete season. but we still had a lot of great games with him. it helps that we have such an explosive passing game.

it is a tough question because they are both good backs with their own problems. but i have no tolerance for what onterrio smith did. to say if i knew him i would be easier on him is total bs. this is his third violation and he still hasn't given any sign he will change. that will be a bigger problem for us down the road than anything bennett has.

Big C
09-02-2004, 04:30 PM
I think Bennet should be our franchise RB. His "homerun ability" is important. The defense will put more men in the box to stop Bennett than they would Smith. This will open up the passing game a little more.

And for crying out loud, Bennett got INJURED. He got injured playing the frickin game!! He didn't get SUSPENDED smoking pot just before a season! He got injured in a preseason game where he had 91 yards off 9 or 10 carries. That's like a 10 yard per carry average! And some of you are thinking of trading him?! If you don't want a player because they get injured I'm afraid you're following the wrong sport. We've got the likes of Raonal Smith and Marcus Robinson on the team and you want to trade Bennet?! I know they are not part of the discussion but I don't care. Sure he was injured last year but once he came back we got production out of him.

I'm still mad at Smith for the pot incident so I'll just not say anything about him right now. That would obviously make him the trade candidate next off-season cos I think Moore will make an excellent backup.

OK, end of rant. Peace.

Big C
09-02-2004, 04:36 PM
I think Bennet should be our franchise RB. His "homerun ability" is important. The defense will put more men in the box to stop Bennett than they would Smith. This will open up the passing game a little more.

And for crying out loud, Bennett got INJURED. He got injured playing the frickin game!! He didn't get SUSPENDED smoking pot just before a season! He got injured in a preseason game where he had 91 yards off 9 or 10 carries. That's like a 10 yard per carry average! And some of you are thinking of trading him?! If you don't want a player because they get injured I'm afraid you're following the wrong sport. We've got the likes of Raonal Smith and Marcus Robinson on the team and you want to trade Bennet?! I know they are not part of the discussion but I don't care. Sure he was injured last year but once he came back we got production out of him.

I'm still mad at Smith for the pot incident so I'll just not say anything about him right now. That would obviously make him the trade candidate next off-season cos I think Moore will make an excellent backup.

OK, end of rant. Peace.

bigdogbovy
09-03-2004, 11:49 AM
This is what I'm talking about with Moore. that ability to run & catch like priest

From vikingsupdate

"Twice in Minnesota’s first series it had the Vikings facing third-and-long, and both times the Vikings broke free thanks to starting running back Mewelde Moore. On third-and-9, Moore took a screen and followed his blocking beautifully, shimmying his way to an 18-yard pickup. Five plays later, on third-and-11, Moore took a dump pass from Culpepper and broke tackles en route to a 38-yard catch-and-run. On the next play, Culpepper found tight end Jermaine Wiggins wide open for a 22-yard touchdown with 5:49 left in the first quarter for a 7-0 lead. "

not next season but the season after, moore should be our starter and we should have gotten great trade value from Smith and bennet

ItalianStallion
09-03-2004, 12:09 PM
I'll reserve my judgement for Bennett until after the season. Personally I don't believe he has the durability to be a franchise back. Unless both Bennett and Smith have great games this year, I don't think we would get much value for either unless a team is really starved (3rd round pick maybe, 2nd rounder would be the best case).

I like Mewelde. I saw him for the first time yesterday and he has impressd me with his playmaking. Dunno about comparisons to Priest though, it is a little impossible to predict that.

Moe is our best back but there is no way he can last the whole year as a starter.

whackthepack
09-03-2004, 12:41 PM
I think we will be fine at RB and with Moe and Moore and Ned (both of these guys looked good last night). We will be OK until both Bennett and Smith are back.

More worried about safty depth and corner depth than running back.

johnnyb22
09-03-2004, 12:41 PM
I think most people on this site have made valid points. Bennett is suseptable to injuries and Smith is prone to party. That makes it even more important to keep them both. Between the two of them you have one really good back. If you get rid of one of them there is possibility that we do not have a talented back to start an important game. The weaknesses they have makes it crucial IMO to keep them both if we are going to go far in the playoffs.

bigdogbovy
09-03-2004, 12:44 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Moe is our best back but there is no way he can last the whole year as a starter.

I remeber in the bears game last year, Urlacher came on a blitz and Moe put a block on him that lifted him off the ground and put him on his @$$.

I laughed for a half and hour, mostly because I was watching it with my friend who was a bear fan.

muchluv4smoot
09-03-2004, 02:27 PM
"johnnyb22" wrote:

I think most people on this site have made valid points. Bennett is suseptable to injuries and Smith is prone to party. That makes it even more important to keep them both. Between the two of them you have one really good back. If you get rid of one of them there is possibility that we do not have a talented back to start an important game. The weaknesses they have makes it crucial IMO to keep them both if we are going to go far in the playoffs.

I don't think it makes any sense to keep them both. We have moe and mewelde, 2 very capable starting RB's. If we keep them both, we will loose one of them to FA at the end of next season, and get nothing in return. We used a 4th on onterrio, so a 2nd round pick would be worth a trade at the end of this year, no? We would still have bennett, moe, and mewelde moore, a very deep and talented backfield. I don't like the idea of letting them play out there contracts and sign with someone else in FA. If anyone thinks they are both gonna wanna stay here and split carries with each other, that ain't gonna happen.

Big C
09-03-2004, 03:38 PM
I agree that Moe, Moore and Ned are good RBs. However Moe is getting old and won't be able to be a starting RB for the future. Moore is really good but I think one reason he slipped in the draft was that his speed was in question. So like it or not Bennet and/or Smith will be the #1 RB for years to come.

I'm leaning towards that being Bennet because he gives us something that neither of the others do. Speed. Blazing speed. That's the potential to turn a game around.

I haven't seen Smith play much (live in Chicago) but what does he offer (as a #1 RB) that Moore, Moe or Ned cannot provide?