PDA

View Full Version : Was it Good us in the long run?

Kleinsasser40
08-31-2004, 04:25 PM
I've really been thinking about what happened last year vs the Cardinals. Could what happened there become a really good thing for the Vikes?

Lasat year they learned a lesson...it is NEVER over. After week 7 I am sure about every player on the team saw nothing but the playoffs in front of them, they thought it was in the bag. As we all know, they were knocked out in the last possible seconds of the regular season. I think they all learned something that day. Its not set and done till the very last play of the very last game, and that is somrthing that the Vikes did not know prior to this event. In that sense they were immature players.

Also, think back to the 03-04 team, sure they were pretty good, but did they have what it would have taken to win the big one? To defeat the Pats? I Personally think they would have gone out the same time the Pack did. That team did not have what it would have taken to win it all.

Now, look at this year. We have a team that knows more about what it will take to make it to the playoffs, they need to keep playing, even if they go undefeated for any number of games. A WR and QB who are in the prime of their game. A wall of an O-Line. A revamped defense full of rookie and free agency talent, along with team vets on both sides of the ball. And in time, we may even have Gary Anderson back kicking. This team does have what it takes to win it all. The defense, rock solid. The offense, explosive and matured.

Most importantly the mental game. Did you see Chris Hovan's face after the Cardinals game? Did you see the team laying on the field? They were all changed after that game. They are a team with heart now. They all suffered a together. They saw the pain of defeat in eachother's eyes. They are going to go out there this year and play as a team. Fighting through that tragic loss together as a team, as friends, will bring them closer to being one strong unit of a team. They have got what it takes this year, and in a way, I think we will be, in the end, understanding why that happened last year.

NeoVikesTX
08-31-2004, 04:33 PM
Great post!

We all have to agree that what happened last season was for the better. I always tell my friends that we wouldn't of won the Superbowl last year anyway, so this will allow us to get some better draft picks and improve our lousy D. No way we win the Superbowl or even get there for that matter with a 26th rank defense.

I say to everyone, think positively. I know last season sucked and none of us want to go through that again, but we have to be patient this season. We have great things coming our way!

little redhead
08-31-2004, 04:35 PM
We can sure hope that is the case. I know they don't want to repeat what happened last year. They had the division lead all the way until the last second of the whole last season actually you have to say even after the last second of the season as time had expired before the call was made I think but anyway I don't think anyone wants to live that type of thing over again so hopefully they will take with them this whole year of how crappy they felt at the end of that Arizona game and use it to push themselves to finish every play and every second of every game.

muchluv4smoot
08-31-2004, 06:28 PM
I think it was good, because we got 2 absolute stars on our D, in the draft, that we wouldn't have gotten if we would have made the playoffs. Udeze and dontarrious would not be vikes if we won that game, and those 2 are gonna be pro bowl players on our D quickly.

sdvikefan
08-31-2004, 07:07 PM
It was painful, it was ugly, I almost broke a window over it, but that game may turn out to have a silver lining. The team had two ways to go with that loss. They could either stew over it all offseason, let it get them down and come into this season with no confidence. Or they could get pissed about it and use it as motivation to kick a$$ this year. Based on everything I have heard out of camp and from the players mouths, they went with the second choice.

LosAngelis
08-31-2004, 07:12 PM
Muchluv, that was a pretty astute post.

There's a saying...there's no such thing as mistakes, only "learnings".

I don't know how well that applies to Ricky Williams, but in your case, its a possibility. The guy that needs to learn fast, though, is Tice. The coach is the glue that holds a team together, and its pretty obvious the Vikes became doused with laquer thinner as the season finished.

whackthepack
08-31-2004, 07:21 PM
Los it is great that you have stuck around, the other packer fans have not been around much the last few weeks (texpack, Jer, and I hate to see him ever come back PackmanXXXI).

Good to see you stick around!

triedandtruevikesfan
08-31-2004, 08:35 PM
tex is just plain no longer around. Los will always be around cause he loves us just as much as he hates us!

Kleinsasser thats one of the best posts that I've read in a while! I've never thought of it that way, but it does make a lot of sense! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Kleinsasser40
08-31-2004, 10:19 PM
"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:

tex is just plain no longer around. Los will always be around cause he loves us just as much as he hates us!

Kleinsasser thats one of the best posts that I've read in a while! I've never thought of it that way, but it does make a lot of sense! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

No Problem TTVF! Thanks for the compliment :D

shockzilla
09-01-2004, 01:46 PM
I agree, Kleinsasser! Like I wrote in my column, we have a PURPLE PASSION, and you are definitely blessed with it! And as far as LOS goes, perhaps he could teach a certain person around here a little something I like to call manners. LOS, much as we hate the fact that you're a PACKER FAN :banghead: , at least you are honest with you're opinions and respectful of us purpleheads! Thanks for being you and don't stop posting!

:salute:

SKOL!!!!!!!!

casper
09-01-2004, 03:11 PM
"Kleinsasser40" wrote:

"triedandtruevikesfan" wrote:
[quote]tex is just plain no longer around. Los will always be around cause he loves us just as much as he hates us!

Absolutely :salute: great post Kliensasser40

then most of all could not have been said any better or to a finer poster

Shock said "And as far as LOS goes, perhaps he could teach a certain person around here a little something I like to call manners. LOS, much as we hate the fact that you're a PACKER FAN , at least you are honest with you're opinions and respectful of us purpleheads! Thanks for being you and don't stop posting!"

Man I could not agree with you more Shockzilla LA even though you don't have a section please continue to write your articals as well...

we love you no matter what team you cheer for :banghead: dam did I say that J/K on what ever team you cheer for :bootyshake: :occasion5:

muchluv4smoot
09-01-2004, 06:07 PM
"LosAngelis" wrote:

Muchluv, that was a pretty astute post.

There's a saying...there's no such thing as mistakes, only "learnings".

I don't know how well that applies to Ricky Williams, but in your case, its a possibility. The guy that needs to learn fast, though, is Tice. The coach is the glue that holds a team together, and its pretty obvious the Vikes became doused with laquer thinner as the season finished.

Hey, I knew, as well as many of vikes fans, that we didn't have the D to go anywhere if we would have made the playoffs last year. Thanks to us loosing to arizona, we now have 2 stud D players, that we wouldn't have IMO, if we would have won. Now, this year, we will have the D, to do something while we are in the playoffs, so loosing will never be good this year. Sure it sounds like a bad way to look at it, but I see it as looking at that game and loss as a positive.

LosAngelis
09-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Golly. I am so, like, blushing right now, guys. Stop...stop...STOP!!! (Okay, keep going...)

tlk23
09-01-2004, 06:55 PM
I don't agree because when the Vikings make the playoffs this year, it will be the 1st playoff game for about 95% of the roster. The Vikings would have played Seattle at Minnesota were we just killed them in the regular season. Then on the Philly and the Eagles didn't look good in that game.

muchluv4smoot
09-01-2004, 07:06 PM
"tlk23" wrote:

I don't agree because when the Vikings make the playoffs this year, it will be the 1st playoff game for about 95% of the roster. The Vikings would have played Seattle at Minnesota were we just killed them in the regular season. Then on the Philly and the Eagles didn't look good in that game.

Wow, that kind of sounds like the packers saying they lost a super bowl ring, by loosing to the eagles. They overlooked the carolina game and the pats in the super bowl.

What we did to seattle in the regular season, would mean nothing once the playoffs started. We were didn't have that many more guys on last years team, that had playoff experience, so it wouldn't have been much different in that department. The difference is, TALENT. We have way way more talent on this years D, then last year.

What the pats showed last year, with giving all their rookies significant playing time in the playoffs, is that youth today isn't necessary a bad thing.

Our D was bad last year, thus I say we had no shot of doing anything in the playoffs, but our D will be much improved this year, thus we have a good chance at getting to the super bowl.

tlk23
09-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Name one player on the roster that played in the Vikings last playoff run besides Culpepper, Moss, Birk, and Dixon. Experience counts for something and if you don't look ahead then you're always looking back.

hawaiianvike21
09-03-2004, 03:48 AM
"tlk23" wrote:

Name one player on the roster that played in the Vikings last playoff run besides Culpepper, Moss, Birk, and Dixon. Experience counts for something and if you don't look ahead then you're always looking back.

I think chris liwienski, kleinny, hovan for sure. I think thats all.