PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Bennett and Bryant M will be ok

VikingsTw
08-28-2004, 03:14 PM
Mark Craig, Star Tribune
August 28, 2004

"I'll be fine," Bennett said. "It's just a little sore. No big deal. I'll play" against Seattle in the preseason finale on Thursday.

McKinnie also said his knee should be fine, although he said he wouldn't be surprised if he is held out against the Seahawks for precautionary reasons.

Looks that its not to bad, sure gave me a scare for awhile. I dont know if they had MRI's but this is all i could find concerning there injuries this morning.

rjkvikings
08-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Lets hope it's not too bad. I don't know that Bennett should play against Seattle though. I think they should both be held as McKinnie said he might be.

desertviking
08-28-2004, 03:21 PM
That is good to know I have been worried about that since I saw them go down last night. Lets just hope that the MRI's don't show any surprises. We need those boys!!!!!!!

desertviking
08-28-2004, 03:23 PM
Ooops sorry about that hit the wrong button my bad!!!!!

pepper 0n moss
08-28-2004, 03:24 PM
THANK GOD ... LIKE I SAID ... OUR BIGGEST ROADBLOCKS ON THE WAY TO JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR WILL BE OURSELVES AND THE INJURY BUG

IF SF WASN'T SO DAMN BAD, WE COULD'VE BEATEN OURSELVES ON FRIDAY AND TWO STARS OF OUR OFFENSE GOES DOWN

SCARY

NeoVikesTX
08-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Good news to hear. I was really worried that it would be something serious. We need both of these guys to be healthy.

Now Tice, take this as a lesson and pull our key player out early against Seattle!

sdvikefan
08-28-2004, 05:19 PM
I am not comfortable with them playing next week either, especially McKinnie it sounded like he was in serious pain right after the injury. I would rather they sit out the game completely. There is no real need to have them play this final game. They both have plenty of practice and look primed for a great season. Who cares if we lose to Seattle in the preseason, I'd rather beat them in the regular and possibly post season.

muchluv4smoot
08-28-2004, 05:22 PM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

I am not comfortable with them playing next week either, especially McKinnie it sounded like he was in serious pain right after the injury. I would rather they sit out the game completely. There is no real need to have them play this final game. They both have plenty of practice and look primed for a great season. Who cares if we lose to Seattle in the preseason, I'd rather beat them in the regular and possibly post season.

God, if they play next wek, tice needs a serious head slap. I don't see any reason they need to play next week, just like they didn't need to play in the 2nd half last night.

Also I am not gonna feel happy, until I hear the results of their MRI's, that tells the real story.

duffVIkEs
08-28-2004, 05:27 PM
thats great news, if we lost bennet again, that would be bad news

thepacksux
08-28-2004, 05:54 PM
WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT ARTICLE VIKINGSTW??

VikingsTw
08-28-2004, 07:06 PM
At the top of the post is says startribune and all that good stuff but it was under the title of something about burelson.

rjkvikings
08-28-2004, 07:10 PM
http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/4952599.html

Big Daddy
08-28-2004, 07:48 PM
Just read that Bennett is out 1-3 weeks, guess the MRI showed some damage and now he is questionable for the opener

Big Daddy
08-28-2004, 07:50 PM
Sorry I forgot to put the link in, here you go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1870150

Lets just hope he'll be ok and can play against Dallas.

VKG4LFE
08-28-2004, 07:57 PM
I am comfortbale with Moe carrying the load for a couple of games, but we need McKinnie to guard peps blind spot!! F*&#ing Ontarrio!!

Toss2Moss84
08-28-2004, 11:41 PM
Bennett to miss season opener and probably Philly Game....

Bennett will miss Vikings' season opener
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
August 29, 2004

Anyone wondering why the Vikings haven't traded one of their running backs should understand now. The team learned Saturday that starter Michael Bennett will miss up to a month because of a sprained right knee, a surprising prognosis for an injury initially deemed minor in the aftermath of Friday's 23-10 preseason victory against San Francisco.

An MRI performed Saturday revealed a second-degree sprain of Bennett's medial collateral ligament, giving him virtually no chance to play in the Sept. 12 season opener against Dallas. Privately, team officials are bracing for him to miss the Sept. 20 game at Philadelphia as well and are hoping he can return Sept. 26 against Chicago.

With backup Onterrio Smith expected to serve a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, the Vikings will start veteran Moe Williams against the Cowboys, coach Mike Tice said. Williams, rookie Mewelde Moore and first-year player Larry Ned will split time in the absence of Bennett and Smith.

"That's why we kept the depth, so we wouldn't have to worry about something like this," Tice said after the Vikings' 45-minute workout Saturday at Winter Park. "If we didn't have the kind of depth we have, we'd be worried. It's a shame to lose Mike, but this isn't golf. Injuries happen."

Williams filled in capably last season when Bennett sat out eight games because of a stress fracture in his foot, but the Vikings will miss one of their key playmakers. After quiet performances in the first two preseason games, Bennett ran for 91 yards on 11 carries Friday night.

However, at the end of an 11-yard run in the third quarter, 49ers safety Erik Totten hit Bennett's right knee with his helmet. Left tackle Bryant McKinnie injured his right knee on the same play, but tests revealed only a minor sprain. McKinnie will miss Thursday's preseason finale but will start against Dallas.

Bennett was convinced Friday night that his injury was minor as well. After his injury-shortened 2003 season, he was primed for a breakout performance this season.

Instead, injuries will shorten a season for the third time in his four-year career. Bennett appeared distraught by Saturday's news as he left Winter Park.

"I have no comment," he said. "It just feels real sore, man."

Tice acknowledged he briefly second-guessed his decision to send the starting offense onto the field for the first series of the third quarter. Along with many other NFL coaches, Tice uses the third preseason game to give his first-team players the sensation of returning to competition after the halftime cooldown.

When both Bennett and McKinnie were hurt on the same play, Tice wondered if the approach was worth the additional injury risk.

"But the more I thought about it, the more I realized an injury can happen any time," Tice said. "Michael could have done the same thing in the first quarter, and it wouldn't be an issue. [Extending starters into the third quarter] is something you have to do. How can your team be in game shape when the season starts if they haven't even played into the second half in one preseason game? It's a shame, but injuries are a part of football."

The Vikings could do worse than start Williams against Dallsas. He rushed for a career-high 745 yards last season, including a combined 283 yards in the first three games. He was limited during this year's training camp by a strained calf muscle but said Saturday, "I feel great now."

Tice traditionally limits the play of rookies early in the season; last year, Williams carried 22 times in the opener at Green Bay while Smith did not play. But Moore should take some carries against Dallas, and the Vikings are hoping that Ned -- who reeled off a 24-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter Friday -- can contribute as well.

Ned will play extensively Thursday against the Seahawks.

"I came to camp knowing that I needed to be ready for anything," said Ned, who spent last year on the practice squad. "I needed to be ready to step up when the opportunity is there. Unfortunately, Bennett is out. He'll come back and be well. But in the meantime, the rest of us have to step up -- me, Mewelde and Moe."

VikingsTw
08-29-2004, 02:15 AM
We will be ok for the first couple games, shoot i bet larry ned could run behind that line and we would be just fine. But i feel real comfortable with Moe hes a pro all the way and he always bails us out on 3rd downs.

pepper 0n moss
08-29-2004, 03:14 AM
ok everyone stop blaming tice and the coaching staff for bennett's injury. for the past couple days, everyone has been saying how it was stupid how tice played his started through the third quarter. however, let's not forget that:::

a. most of the players asked tice to extend their playing time to the third quarter.

b. we need the practice. games are won and lost in the second half and we need to condition our players and have them have experience opening up the second half. personally, i would not want dallas rolling into the dome with all of our starters not having experience this year of extending their game into the second half. especially on the defensive side of the ball where we will start two rookies.

just my opinion, bash me at will---

rjkvikings
08-29-2004, 03:25 AM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

ok everyone stop blaming tice and the coaching staff for bennett's injury. for the past couple days, everyone has been saying how it was stupid how tice played his started through the third quarter. however, let's not forget that:::

a. most of the players asked tice to extend their playing time to the third quarter.

b. we need the practice. games are won and lost in the second half and we need to condition our players and have them have experience opening up the second half. personally, i would not want dallas rolling into the dome with all of our starters not having experience this year of extending their game into the second half. especially on the defensive side of the ball where we will start two rookies.

just my opinion, bash me at will---Not only will I not bash u, but I will agree with you. The starters need to be able to come out after the 1st half and continue to play as well as they did before halftime. Otherwise, our team is in a lot of trouble.

pepper 0n moss
08-29-2004, 03:41 AM
yes, and we need to rid our reputation of getting off to a hot start and flaming out faster than a white boy diggin a shovel

Viking_Spirit
08-29-2004, 12:16 PM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

If Tice does something just because the players ask them, that's crap coaching if you ask me. Remember, HE draws the line, not the players. He needs to take charge and lay down the law-the players should have zero say in their playing time, the coach should be making that decision-and the players should have no say in it whatsoever.

Tice is an idiot for playing our starters in the second half. Hopefully Tice stops making stupid choices by the Dallas game.

Webby
08-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Couldn't disagree with you more, VS. Its clear why he does so, and if you read and understand the reasoning behind the decision, it is solid. You should then call the majority of NFL coaches stupid and interview for a position yourself.

Viking_Spirit
08-29-2004, 12:45 PM
"webmaster" wrote:

Couldn't disagree with you more, VS. Its clear why he does so, and if you read and understand the reasoning behind the decision, it is solid. You should then call the majority of NFL coaches stupid and interview for a position yourself.
"Tice uses the third preseason game to give his first-team players the sensation of returning to competition after the halftime cooldown. "
There's his reason. That's a horrible reason to play starters in the 2nd half. Especially when you then get 2 guys injured as a result of that decision. And, I also read at the top of this page that Bennett will miss the opener. That wouldn't be such a problem if Smith didn't get suspended, and I blame that on Tice as a result of a breakdown of team discipline. If we lose the opener.....thanks Tice.

The thing is that most NFL coaches who do this don't have a history of making stupid decisions. Tice consistently makes stupid decisions, and I'm starting to get fed up with it. Tice needs to fix it up soon. We've got a great shot to take it all the way this year, and I don't want Tice screwing it up.

The reasoning behind this is anything but solid IMO. You may find it a sufficient explanation, but I think it's stupid reasoning and an unsufficient explenation.

Hopefully I'm wrong about Tice.

pepper 0n moss
08-29-2004, 02:31 PM
There's his reason. That's a horrible reason to play starters in the 2nd half. Especially when you then get 2 guys injured as a result of that decision.

ehhh... let's put it this way... if bennett // bryant's injury happened on the first drive and in the first quarter of action, we wouldn't be saying sh!t.

it was a freak accident waiting to happen and we just need to accept the reality that injuries are a part of the game.

if nothing happened to bennett or bryant, i believe we would all be praising tice for his reasoning of leaving the starters in the second half.

muchluv4smoot
08-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Since no one commented after I posted this response on the mckinnie thread, I will repost it here.

TICE SCREWED UP!
I am not disputing that starters usually play a series or two in the 2nd half of the 3rd preseason game, but there are certainly circumstances that come up, where it is totally not necessary. Let me ask this question, if the score was 50-0, do you think the starters would or should have been out playing in the third quarter? If you answer yes to that question, then you are mental. Of coarse the starters wouldn't even have been in the game, they wouldn't even have played the whole 1st half, if they were dominating that much. I don't care if it is the 3rd preseason game, and it is common for starters to play into the third quarter(even though I saw way more teams who didn't play there starters in the 3rd last night, than did), if a team is dominating like we did in the first half, there is absolutely no reason for them to be playing anymore, NONE. 330 yards of offense to 60 for the 49ers in the first half!

Again I say that if the game was close or if our starters hadn't absolutley dominated in the first half, then yes you do put the starters out there in the 3rd. We did the same thing in the third preseason game last year, because we didn't outgain the other team by 270 yards in the 1st half. I had no problem with that. This is a totally different situation. As soon as bennett and McKinnie got hurt, Tice realized that it was stupid to have his starters out there and he didn't even play his D starters in the 3rd because of that. There must have been a reason he played the offensive starters and not the D starters in the 3rd, don't you think?

Don't make this out to be a debate on playing starters in the 3rd vs not playing them in the 3rd, because I am not debating that. I am debating that the starters have no need to be out there i the 3rd when they gained 270 more yards than the opponent in the first half. Tice said before the game that his starters would probably play in the 3rd, but THAT IT WASN'T ETCHED IN STONE. I wonder what more our team needed to have done in the first half, to get him not to play them in the 2nd?

muchluv4smoot
08-29-2004, 02:38 PM
And you can also look at the vikes 49ers game thread, where you will see that I said early in the first half, that no way the starters should play in the 3rd, because of the way they were dominating the first half. So that will show I am not saying this just because guys got hurt.

pepper 0n moss
08-29-2004, 02:39 PM
good points, but dominating in total yards doesn't mean jack if we were only up 16-0.

Viking_Spirit
08-29-2004, 02:43 PM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

There's his reason. That's a horrible reason to play starters in the 2nd half. Especially when you then get 2 guys injured as a result of that decision.

ehhh... let's put it this way... if bennett // bryant's injury happened on the first drive and in the first quarter of action, we wouldn't be saying sh!t.

it was a freak accident waiting to happen and we just need to accept the reality that injuries are a part of the game.

if nothing happened to bennett or bryant, i believe we would all be praising tice for his reasoning of leaving the starters in the second half.
Of course I wouldn't be saying shit about Tice if this happened in the 1st half. I'm saying shit about him because this "freak accident" would have not happened if he would have made the right decision. Yes, injuries are part of the game, but when they happen as a result of a stupid decision, the person who made the decision needs to be held accountable.

If these injuries didn't happen, I would not be praising Tice for playing starters in the 2nd half. I think the whole idea of that is stupid and not worth the risks that associate with it.

muchluv4smoot
08-29-2004, 02:58 PM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

good points, but dominating in total yards doesn't mean jack if we were only up 16-0.

We were only up 16-0???? Lets see, first elling missed an extra point, then a field goal, is 20-0 good enough of a score to sit the starters? Second and most importantly, what the heck does the score of a preseason game mean?? NOTHING. Who cares what the score was, we absolutely did whatever we wanted on offense and on D. The only time we were stopped on offense was by ourselves. The was no reason for our starters to be out there on the field after how badly them dominated the 1st half, PERIOD. What were they suppose to be proving anyways, against the 49ers 2nd team D? This was a horrible descision by tice and he realized it and told his D starters that they weren't gonna play in the 2nd half, after bennett and mckinnie got hurt.

Big Daddy
08-29-2004, 07:34 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

We were only up 16-0???? Lets see, first elling missed an extra point, then a field goal, is 20-0 good enough of a score to sit the starters? Second and most importantly, what the heck does the score of a preseason game mean?? NOTHING. Who cares what the score was, we absolutely did whatever we wanted on offense and on D. The only time we were stopped on offense was by ourselves. The was no reason for our starters to be out there on the field after how badly them dominated the 1st half, PERIOD. What were they suppose to be proving anyways, against the 49ers 2nd team D? This was a horrible descision by tice and he realized it and told his D starters that they weren't gonna play in the 2nd half, after bennett and mckinnie got hurt.

I think what pepper on moss was getting at was after the first 2 drives we didn't do anything. We did not finnish off our drives like we need to in the regular season. Elling shouldn't have missed his field goal, but guess what we shoul have scored a Td instead. You shouldn't have to kick a 44 yard field goal after you have a first and 10 on the 17 yardline! Maybe if the Viks wouldn't have had all the mental errors and scored 4 TD they wouldn't have played in the second half. Moving the ball and gaining yards doesn't mean anything unless you finnish off your drives and get points on the board.

muchluv4smoot
08-29-2004, 08:08 PM
"Big Daddy" wrote:

"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

I think what pepper on moss was getting at was after the first 2 drives we didn't do anything. We did not finnish off our drives like we need to in the regular season. Elling shouldn't have missed his field goal, but guess what we shoul have scored a Td instead. You shouldn't have to kick a 44 yard field goal after you have a first and 10 on the 17 yardline! Maybe if the Viks wouldn't have had all the mental errors and scored 4 TD they wouldn't have played in the second half. Moving the ball and gaining yards doesn't mean anything unless you finnish off your drives and get points on the board.

Elling makes his kicks and it was a 20-0, then moss doesn't fumble and it was 23 or 27-0, isn't that good enough? Ellings kicks had nothing to do with our first team offense. Moss' fumble was not something you put your starters out in the 2nd half of the game, to fix. It was a fumble and those things happen. There was nothing more to prove, and they shouldn't have played. We aren't gonna score TD's on every damn drive like some people want us to. Field goals are good too guys.

No one can argue that we absolutely dominated them in the first half. It looked like we were playing a college team. 330 yards to 60. I don't think it is neccessary for your starters to play in the 2nd half of a preseason game, against the opponents 2nd string D, to try and score more TD's. STUPID STUPID STUPID and we are now gonna pay for Tice's stupid descision. Lets hope we don't pay for one of his stupid descisions, in the playoffs this year.

pepper 0n moss
08-29-2004, 08:40 PM
i don't think tice played the starters in the second half with the mentatlity of "ohh, let's try to score more TD's"

more repititions against an opponent, 2nd string or not translates into more situations you can't emulate in practice, which translates into smarter playing by the players, which translates into a team with more confidence, which translates into a team with more precision, which in turn, gives us a very dangerous viking team.

with more and more reps and practice against other opponents, we don't get those stupid drive killing penalties. we don't get those stupid drive killing fumbles. we don't get those stupid mistakes that make us settle for 3 instead of 6 [7 if elling converts]

our biggest opponent last year was ourselves and i admire how tice is not going to let that happen this year.

RandyMoss8404
08-29-2004, 09:30 PM
These injuries are not a good sign. I won't count the Vikings out but my confidence is definately shaken a bit by these recent developments.

PacNWVike
08-29-2004, 11:44 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

I am comfortbale with Moe carrying the load for a couple of games, but we need McKinnie to guard peps blind spot!! F*&#ing Ontarrio!!

Now let me see... SOD has an excellent paying job that requires him to be drug free. He knows he will be randomly tested. If he tests positive he knows he will be punished and if it continues, will lose his NFL status. He still uses illegal drugs... :roll: What am I missing here guys? Maturity level? :drunken:

pepper 0n moss
08-30-2004, 12:22 AM
at least he didn't bail on us right before training camp to smoke weed everyday =)

ItalianStallion
08-30-2004, 12:36 AM
Give him a bunch of money like Ricky got and he just might.

muchluv4smoot
08-30-2004, 07:31 PM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

i don't think tice played the starters in the second half with the mentatlity of "ohh, let's try to score more TD's"

more repititions against an opponent, 2nd string or not translates into more situations you can't emulate in practice, which translates into smarter playing by the players, which translates into a team with more confidence, which translates into a team with more precision, which in turn, gives us a very dangerous viking team.

with more and more reps and practice against other opponents, we don't get those stupid drive killing penalties. we don't get those stupid drive killing fumbles. we don't get those stupid mistakes that make us settle for 3 instead of 6 [7 if elling converts]

our biggest opponent last year was ourselves and i admire how tice is not going to let that happen this year.

STUPID STUPID STUPID descision by Tice! Again, I said in the 1st quarter of the game in a different thread, that no way the starters should be out there in the 3rd, so I am not saying this just because someone got hurt.

Our biggest problem last year was ourselves, I agree with you there. Ourselves, includes Tice, and he just made another bad descision that is gonna hurt the team, and I don't admire that.

Also, no matter how many repititions our offense gets, it isn't gonna stop us from fumbling or getting penalties. False starts or holding penalties aren't because guys haven't got enough repititions, those are things that just happen. Fumbles are part of the game, and Moss playing every minute of every preseason game, isn't gonna have any effect on if he fumbles again this year.

Fact is, when we are in the playoffs this year, and if the game is close, I will be worrying about what stupid thing Tice can do to loose us the game, and I bet a lot of others will be too.

muchluv4smoot
08-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Also, if the starters were out there for repititions, then why did they only play that short first series? Tice did say they were suppose to play more than just the first series in the 3rd, so I must assume he realized how stupid it was that he was playing his starters still, AGAINST THE 49ERS 2ND STRING D. If he wasn't satisfied with what our offense did in the first half, I wouldn't think their one drive in the 3rd would make him happy? Injuries are something that can't be controlled and happen no matter when guys play, so that arguement would follow here too then right? So if he shouldn't worry about injuries happening and play guys in the 3rd, then he shouldn't worry about them happening after bennett and mckinnie left right? It goes both ways.