PDA

View Full Version : Mckinnie down

DiehardVikesFan
08-27-2004, 09:53 PM
yikes...

BigEasyViking
08-27-2004, 10:18 PM
I can't watch the game, does it look serious or not? Man I hope not...

muchluv4smoot
08-27-2004, 10:18 PM
"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:

yikes...

Yeah, bennett also sprained his kneee on the same damn play! It sure is worth playing your starters in the 2nd half of a preseason game! Especially when they have already dominated the whole first half.

vikings_fan66
08-27-2004, 10:33 PM
looked bad but he went of on his own power so thats promising.

muchluv4smoot
08-27-2004, 10:44 PM
"vikings_fan66" wrote:

looked bad but he went of on his own power so thats promising.

Yeah, but I think(could be wrong) that both tyrone carter and brian williams also both walked off the field as well. Knee injuries are always bad, no matter how severe they are.

Hey, did anyone else notice that one of the local announcers said sh*t when watching the replay of mckinnie's injury? I think both announcers thought that it was on commercial and they were on live, and it was a commercial very quickly after the announcer said sh*t. Kind of funny.

Viking_Spirit
08-27-2004, 11:30 PM
"muchluv4moss" wrote:

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:

yikes...

Yeah, bennett also sprained his kneee on the same damn play! It sure is worth playing your starters in the 2nd half of a preseason game! Especially when they have already dominated the whole first half.
Tice played starters in the 2nd half? What an idiot. That's so stupid.......

BigEasyViking
08-27-2004, 11:34 PM
Did they say what the injuries were to, McKinney, Bennet, or Irvin? These are all guys that we just can't afford to lose. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

muchluv4smoot
08-27-2004, 11:37 PM
"BigEasyViking" wrote:

Did they say what the injuries were to, McKinney, Bennet, or Irvin? These are all guys that we just can't afford to lose. Lets keep our fingers crossed!

Irvin played after he left the field for his injury, and all they said was knee sprains for mckinnie and bennett. The announcers said that they didn't think either sprains were too serious, but brian williams' wasn't serious either.

Viking_Spirit
08-27-2004, 11:38 PM
"BigEasyViking" wrote:

The fact that these guys got injured in the 2nd half (where they should NOT be playing) just pisses me off. It's ridiculous that Tice put them in in the 2nd half. You do NOT play your starters in the 2nd half of a preseason game! If these injuries end up getting these guys out during the regular season, I'm gonna be pretty pissed at Tice.....I'm starting to lose confidince in him as a coach.

BigEasyViking
08-27-2004, 11:39 PM
yeah, no kidding Muchluv! Any injury that has to do with a knee worries me. It seems like any knee injury now a days calls for a player to miss at least 3 weeks. I'm just ready for the season to start. I hate the idea of losing guys in preseason, when the games don't even count.

sdvikefan
08-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah I don't understand it either. Especially with Bennett, he should only be playing a few downs in the first quarter of each preseason game. This is a chance for Onterrio, Moore, and Ned to get some carries. I can't believe he would take that big a chance with Bennett.

I am also starting to have some doubts about Tice. I hope they go away as we get into the regular season.

jackyl
08-27-2004, 11:42 PM
Minnesota's Bennett, McKinnie suffer sprained knees
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) _ Minnesota Vikings running back Michael Bennett and left tackle Bryant McKinnie left Friday night's exhibition game against the San Francisco 49ers with sprained right knees.

Both players were hurt on the first unit's lone series in the third quarter. Bennett, a Pro Bowl selection in 2002, injured his right knee after rushing for about 10 yards. He was hit low on the play, which was called back on a penalty.

McKinnie went down on the same play. It wasn't immediately clear how he was injured, but McKinnie lay on the turf for a couple of minutes while trainers tended to his right knee.

Both players were able to walk off the field.

Viking_Spirit
08-27-2004, 11:42 PM
"sdvikefan" wrote:

I am also starting to have some doubts about Tice. I hope they go away as we get into the regular season.
I too am starting to have doubts......and at the rate we are going I don't see it going away, and I don't see how he's improved his decision making from last year (which he needed to do).

muchluv4smoot
08-27-2004, 11:51 PM
"Viking_Spirit" wrote:

"sdvikefan" wrote:

I too am starting to have doubts......and at the rate we are going I don't see it going away, and I don't see how he's improved his decision making from last year (which he needed to do).

Finally some people are seeing what I have been talking about in the thread about our coaching descisions. I just plain have no trust in tice and his descisions in games. I hope he doesn't cost us wins this year, but I will worry about him, if we are in a close game in the playoffs.

Big Daddy
08-28-2004, 12:39 AM
"Viking_Spirit" wrote:

"BigEasyViking" wrote:

The fact that these guys got injured in the 2nd half (where they should NOT be playing) just pisses me off. It's ridiculous that Tice put them in in the 2nd half. You do NOT play your starters in the 2nd half of a preseason game! If these injuries end up getting these guys out during the regular season, I'm gonna be pretty pissed at Tice.....I'm starting to lose confidince in him as a coach.

I don't know if this matters but while I was listening to the game on the radio the announcers said that All the starters were begging Tice to let them play in the second half before the game. They said Tice didn't want them too but said "we'll see." I don't think it is fair to blame Tice for the players wanting to play longer. Was anyone else listening to the game that heard that? Other teams will be playing their starters in the 3rd quarter because it is the 3rd preseason game.

thepacksux
08-28-2004, 12:40 AM
I agree with all that you guys have said, but practicing makin adjustments after the half and coming out in stride is something that the vikings have needed to work on for years. They have a tendency to come out flat and now is a good time to work on it... injuries suck no matter who is injured for what team, but they are a fact of life, lets just hope they are very minimal and all will be good for the season opener.

DiehardVikesFan
08-28-2004, 12:54 AM
It's football, injuries are part of the game and you have to deal with them...Tice isn't really at fault for that...

UTVikfan
08-28-2004, 12:55 AM
I have read several places the third game is time to keep the starters in a little longer and let them get it all together. Kinda simulate real game play. This is on enough sites, that I think it is common protocol. Last year Bennett was gone because of a treadmill. Look on NFL.com at the injuries in preseason. The vast majority of them are in practice. You just never do know when it will happen, they coulda also played the whole game and been just fine. If that is common protocol in preseason, and should really make our team better come the season, how is that bad coaching? BUT, I pray it isn't anything bad, to either of them. Both are needed.

Big Daddy
08-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Look I'm not standing up for Tice but man would it suck to have everyone second guess everything that you do. Some of these post on this thred make it sound like he did something that was totally unheard of and retarded. 2 players got hurt, and hopefully both of them are NOT serious, but I just don't think it is Tices fault.

muchluv4smoot
08-28-2004, 01:13 AM
"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:

It's football, injuries are part of the game and you have to deal with them...Tice isn't really at fault for that...

What did our offense need to prove in the 3rd quarter, that they hadden't done in the first half? We had like 350 yards in the first half, I didn't see a need to put the starters out there in the 3rd. Sure it is nice to see how guys adjust at halftime, but there wasn't even a need for adjustments. What adjustments do you make to an offense that had 350 yards in a half?

For the person who said the players were asking tice to let them play through the 3rd quarter: Sorry, but a coach has the final say as too when his players play and don't play. I bet Mike vick wanted to play more in his first preseason game this year against the ravens, but his coach told him that he would only play him one series no matter what. I don't care what the players wanted, tice is the coach and he has to so no, there is no need to be out there in the 3rd after what you guys did in the 1st half.

whackthepack
08-28-2004, 01:25 AM
It is very common in the 3rd preseason game to play your starters into the 3rd quarter. In the 4th preseason game you play them for 2 series and then you rest them.
It's been done that way for years, not saying it's right or wrong but to blame Tice is not right and I am pissed off as anybody about the injuries.

I just watched the replay on ESPN and the guy that hurt Bennett went low with his helmet, which is really cheap (looked like he went for the knee on purpose)! And McKinney was hit in the back of his leg by a 49er that tried to hit Bennett when he was running by and missed and hit McKinney.

Webby
08-28-2004, 01:29 AM
Oh please, this isn't a Tice issue. Injuries happen on all series in every game of preseason. If you want to argue it, argue the value of a long preseason.

He did nothing different than is standard for the league in preseason game 3.

SKOL
08-28-2004, 01:33 AM
I agree Webby, Tice did nothing wrong. He committed before the game to one series of the third quarter with the starters. This is normal for the third game.

I watched McKinnie on the sidelines after his injury. He sat for the rest of the third quarter, but by the 4th quarter he was walking around without a noticeable limp.

Kleinsasser40
08-28-2004, 01:34 AM
i'd have to second that. Tice did nothing wrong. These guys need to get eased back into a four quarter game, thats what a lot of coaches do in the 3rd and 4th preseason game, keep the people you think will be starting in longer and longer. I was in my car listening on the radio when I heard it, it scared the living sh*t out of me, they way they were listing off injuries i though the whole team had just all tripped at once and broken all of their legs. I almost came to a dead stop on the highway when they said it, lol.

muchluv4smoot
08-28-2004, 01:35 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

It is very common in the 3rd preseason game to play your starters into the 3rd quarter. In the 4th preseason game you play them for 2 series and then you rest them.
It's been done that way for years, not saying it's right or wrong but to blame Tice is not right and I am pissed off as anybody about the injuries.

I just watched the replay on ESPN and the guy that hurt Bennett went low with his helmet, which is really cheap (looked like he went for the knee on purpose)! And McKinney was hit in the back of his leg by a 49er that tried to hit Bennett when he was running by and missed and hit McKinney.

Sure I know that starters usually play into the 3rd quarter of the 3rd preseason game, but not when they are dominant in the first half, only when there is a reason to play them in the 2nd half, like adjustments. We had 350 yards of offense in the 1st half! I think that would qualify as a dominat first half by our offense, so what is the need for them to play in the 3rd? Because it is common for teams to play their starters into the 3rd quarter of the 3rd preseason game? NO. Fact is, there was absolutely no need for the starters to be out there in the 3rd. Did tice play our D starters in the 3rd? No.

Hey I have no problem with starters playing into the 3rd quarter in the 3rd preseason game, but that is only when it is neccessary for adjustments. If we wouldn't have had so many yards and have moved the ball at will in the 1st half, then I would say absolutely put the starters out there after the half and wouldn't be mad that bennett and mckinnie got hurt, but this wasn't the case. This is my point.

muchluv4smoot
08-28-2004, 01:38 AM
"webmaster" wrote:

Oh please, this isn't a Tice issue. Injuries happen on all series in every game of preseason. If you want to argue it, argue the value of a long preseason.

He did nothing different than is standard for the league in preseason game 3.

49ers, rams, redskins are 3 teams in the only 2 games I watched tonight, that didn't play their starters in the 2nd half. And their offenses weren't dominating the game like ours did in the first half of this game. Again that is my point. Why play them when they had so many yards and moved the ball at will in the first half? It wasn't neccessary. They didn't have to make any halftime adjustments when they had 350 yards of offensein the first half.

muchluv4smoot
08-28-2004, 01:43 AM
Packers, jags, chargers, texans to name 4 more teams that didn't have their starters in during the 2nd half, and I bet none of them had anywhere near the dominating half that our starters did.

I remember tice saying the starters might play into the 3rd quarter tonight, but he also said it wasn't etched in stone. I would have thought the preformance in the first half would have been good enough forour starters!

olympiavikefan
08-28-2004, 01:44 AM
You guys are being awful hard on Tice. I don't know how long the starters played into the third quarter, but in game 3 of the preseason it seems to be common practice to get the starters one more series after the half.

I hope to see both McKinnie and Bennett this Thursday in Seattle. Could be an NFC Championship preview. :thumbleft:

muchluv4smoot
08-28-2004, 01:47 AM
"olympiavikefan" wrote:

You guys are being awful hard on Tice. I don't know how long the starters played into the third quarter, but in game 3 of the preseason it seems to be common practice to get the starters one more series after the half.

I hope to see both McKinnie and Bennett this Thursday in Seattle. Could be an NFC Championship preview. :thumbleft:

Then you must not have seen how dominating we were in the first half ofthe game. It was like 350 yards to 80. I don't care how common people say it is, we accomplished enough in the first half.

I have yet to see a team that played tonight, that had their starters in, in the 2nd half. It doesn't look that common tonight.

olympiavikefan
08-28-2004, 02:11 AM
I wish I could have seen the first half, but I'm in Seattle. I even tried to get the Vikings with KFAN on the internet (all I received was advertisements). Of course, I did watch the Hawks vs. Chargers and Holmgrem had the first offense in for the first series of the 2nd half.

Injuries are a big part of the game and Champions are usually teams that get some big breaks and stay healthy. Of course, what does a fan of Minnesota and Seattle know about championships??? I should be writing about heartache.

Anyway, I'm just going to relax and enjoy a great season. I will see Minnesota this Thursday in Seattle, and I'm expecting to see them again in January.

ItalianStallion
08-28-2004, 02:16 AM
You know what they say, depth wins championships. Hopefully we have enough.

Look at last year, the Patriots were destroyed with injuries early on but still won it all.

briboy75
08-28-2004, 03:29 AM
in the 3rd preseason game, starter usually play about as long as our starters did. ease off tice. the starters need to play longer to prepare for the season. if no one got injured, no one would bbe even bringing it up.

VikingsTw
08-28-2004, 03:42 AM
Yeah lets forget about tice theres nothing we can do about that, but lets start thinking about bennett, it sounds like mckinnie is ok but damn did u see that hit that guy gave bennett he ran into him goin 100 miles an hour straight into his knees. We need bennett he was showing us tonight what he can do all season if he stays healthy he looked absolutly great. We'll just have to see in the morning.

BigEasyViking
08-28-2004, 03:46 AM
Yeah, I agree that injuries happen! I really don't think that you could blame that on Tice. In my opinion Tice has done a damn fine job this year. Now if we choke for the second half of the season again I won't be so easy on him. But, tonight the starters needed to see that they could come out strong in the second half. Next week will be the true test though. I think that the starters will be in for most of the game. Keep your fingers crossed that we don't have anyone else get hurt.

muchluv4smoot
08-28-2004, 04:50 PM
"briboy75" wrote:

in the 3rd preseason game, starter usually play about as long as our starters did. ease off tice. the starters need to play longer to prepare for the season. if no one got injured, no one would bbe even bringing it up.

I am not disputing that starters usually play a series or two in the 2nd half of the 3rd preseason game, but there are certainly circumstances that come up, where it is totally not necessary. Let me ask this question, if the score was 50-0, do you think the starters would or should have been out playing in the third quarter? If you answer yes to that question, then you are mental. Of coarse the starters wouldn't even have been in the game for the whole half, if they were dominating that much. I don't care if it is the 3rd preseason game, and it is common for starters to play into the third quarter(even though I saw way more teams who didn't play there starters in the 3rd last night, than did), if a team is dominating like we did in the first half, there is absolutely no reason for them to be playing anymore, NONE. 330 yards of offense to 60 for the 49ers in the first half!

Again I say that if the game was close or if our starters hadn't absolutley dominated in the first half, then yes you do put the starters out there in the 3rd. We did the same thing in the third preseason game last year, because we didn't outgain the other team by 270 yards in the 1st half. I had no problem with that. This is a totally different situation. As soon as bennett and McKinnie got hurt, Tice realized that it was stupid to have his starters out there and he didn't even play his D starters in the 3rd because of that. There must have been a reason he played the offensive starters and not the D starters in the 3rd, don't you think?

Don't make this out to be a debate on playing starters in the 3rd vs not playing them in the 3rd, because I am not debating that. I am debating that the starters have no need to be out there i the 3rd when they gained 270 more yards than the opponent in the first half. Tice said before the game that his starters would probably play in the 3rd, but THAT IT WASN'T ETCHED IN STONE. I wonder what more our team needed to have done in the first half, to get him not to play them in the 2nd?