PDA

View Full Version : Vikings: Hicks gets off on the right foot

COJOMAY
06-10-2006, 04:07 AM
Vikings: Hicks gets off on the right foot

Artis Hicks was at the Philadelphia Eagles complex in January a couple of days after his offensive coordinator, Brad Childress, had accepted the Vikings' offer to become head coach.

"He was getting his last things together," Hicks said. "Me and another player had decided to go by and congratulate him. I told him, 'Congratulations, don't forget where you came from.' "

Childress did Hicks one better. He didn't forget about the offensive lineman, either. The Vikings obtained Hicks and a fourth-round selection in a draft weekend trade, sending two second-day picks to Childress' former employer. Hicks was immediately made the starter at right guard; he has been working with the first team in minicamp and Organized Team Activities since his arrival.

"It has been pretty good," Hicks said this week after an OTA workout. "I'm just trying to adjust a little bit. I'm playing on the opposite side of what I've been used to. The technique is a little different. But it's a good team, good coaches and there is a good atmosphere here."

Hicks, who is 6-4 and 335 pounds, spent his first four seasons with the Eagles after being signed as a rookie free agent out of Memphis. A versatile player -- Hicks was used at every offensive line position except for center -- he started 31 games, including 14 last season.

The majority of the time Hicks found himself at left guard. Of course, All-Pro Steve Hutchinson, who received $16 million in guaranteed money to leave Seattle, will anchor that spot for the Vikings.

Hicks, 27, said the biggest adjustment in making the move to the right side is footwork. "Just stepping with the opposite foot from what I've been doing the last four years," he said. "You try to program yourself to step with this foot, put this hand there. When you change teams, you are with a different coach, a different philosophy. So you've got to kind of erase what you've been taught in the past."

One advantage for Hicks is his familiarity with Childress and the West Coast offense the Vikings coach has been installing this offseason. But Hicks cautions that Childress is adding his own twists that will differ from those of Eagles coach Andy Reid.

"There are a lot of similarities, but there are a lot of differences, too," said Hicks, who started in the Eagles' loss to New England in Super Bowl XXXIX. "I know that with the blocking scheme up front, we're scheming things differently than they did in Philly. I think it's going to work out great. Everybody has their own twists. It's still going to be the West Coast, but it's going to be Coach Childress' West Coast."

Etc.

• Former Vikings backup quarterback Shaun Hill recently signed with the San Francisco 49ers. That leaves four Vikings free agents unsigned. The list includes cornerback Ralph Brown; kicker Paul Edinger; running back Moe Williams, and center Cory Withrow.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/484551.html

DarrinNelsonguy
06-10-2006, 04:16 AM
He is young and has started 31 of 37 games played in his career so I think he is a great addition to our team.

damien927
06-10-2006, 05:16 AM
I really like the addition of Hicks, the RG spot was like a revolving door last year...... one that couldn't keep anyone out.

twill
06-10-2006, 05:19 AM
i like this addition as well.. i cant wait to see what happens this year

PurplePeopleEaters
06-10-2006, 05:21 AM
Hicks will be one of the biggest additions on our team. He is overlooked by a lot of people (including the eagles organization). Obviously childress recognized that Hicks was one of the better players on the Eagles and went out and got him in a steal trade. If Marcus Johnson can emerge as a starter at RT then we will have a very solid o-line.

snowinapril
06-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Why did we get rid of Fonoti?

Just kidding!!!

I think Childress' WCO is going to have some smash mouth running to it also. Unlike the Reid WCO.

VikesfaninWis
06-10-2006, 06:23 AM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

He is young and has started 31 of 37 games played in his career so I think he is a great addition to our team.

I agree with you.. This seems like a pretty solid pickup.. It looks like he will be a solid starter right away for us Viking fans.. Glad to have him on board..

PurplePeopleEaters89
06-10-2006, 06:50 AM
I can't wait to see how good this OL is going to be!!!

cajunvike
06-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Sic 'em, Hicks!!!

singersp
06-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Vikings | Hicks working as starting right guard
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 19:18:02 -0700

Jeff Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings OL Artis Hicks was immediately made the starter at right guard after he was traded to the Vikings from the Philadelphia Eagles and he has been working with the first team in minicamp and organized team activities since his arrival.

"It has been pretty good," Hicks said this week after an OTA workout. "I'm just trying to adjust a little bit. I'm playing on the opposite side of what I've been used to. The technique is a little different. But it's a good team, good coaches and there is a good atmosphere here."

Vikes_King
06-10-2006, 11:07 PM
i was really glad when i heard about this pick up, needed some added strength to our right side to 'TRY' and meet up to our left

Perch56
06-10-2006, 11:51 PM
i think he was one of our best pick ups, i hope he can step up and make our line better