PDA

View Full Version : Vikings to give Packers PK a tryout

singersp
06-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Vikings | Lloyd to be given a tryout
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 19:40:43 -0700

Jeff Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports free agent PK Rhys Lloyd (Packers) will be given a tryout by the Minnesota Vikings Tuesday, June 13.
[hr]

:scratch: I'm wondering why were looking at another place kicker.

Is it for kickoffs only or is there something wrong with Longwell?

COJOMAY
06-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Gads, I hope nothing's wring with him. I've never heard of a team carrying a back-up PK on the roster. Curious?

jdvike
06-09-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm just speculating here.. but even when a team has a kicker entrenched in the starting role,teams still bring in competition just to keep the kicker sharp, and to let him know that nobody is irreplaceable JMHO

singersp
06-09-2006, 02:38 PM
"jdvike" wrote:

I'm just speculating here.. but even when a team has a kicker entrenched in the starting role,teams still bring in competition just to keep the kicker sharp, and to let him know that nobody is irreplaceable JMHO

I'm not buying that. Everyone knows there is no way in hell he would provide competion at that level. Not even on a mental level.

My only thought is they bring him in only for the camps so he can share in the duties of PKing & kickoffs when practicing those plays, so Longwell isn't kicking 100% of the time & wearing himself out.

jdvike
06-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Well I meant for training camp.
I go to Mankato every year and there is always 3 or 4 kickers there.

I read somewhere that the Packers weren't happy with his kickoffs so that could be the idea here too.
Who knows :scratch:

Vikes_King
06-09-2006, 03:18 PM
you would trust the packer's judgement?

Bdubya
06-09-2006, 03:22 PM
We could always have an extra kicker on the roster just for kick-offs like we did two years ago!

Webby
06-09-2006, 03:31 PM
They are probably just teasing the poor lad, giving him a taste of a winning team before sending him back to that pile they call a team in GB.

Zeus
06-09-2006, 03:39 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Is it for kickoffs only or is there something wrong with Longwell?

Nothing wrong with Longwell that I've heard or read.

I would assume it's training camp fodder and for pre-season games. Plus, you've seen someone else in case Longwell does get hurt and you need to bring someone in later in the season.

=Z=

Bdubya
06-09-2006, 03:40 PM
Didn't some people want us to draft Rhys Lloyd last year?

mnjamie
06-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Just a little twist, he also punted in college. Maybe Kluwe isn't as healthy as they are leading on?? Just a thought ....

cogitans
06-09-2006, 04:04 PM
"mnjamie" wrote:

Just a little twist, he also punted in college. Maybe Kluwe isn't as healthy as they are leading on?? Just a thought ....

But didn't they allready bring in another punter for that?

cajunvike
06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
They just want to give the little punter (English slang, not his position) some training camp experience! :lol:

Ltrey33
06-09-2006, 05:23 PM
That's odd! Maybe Longwell doesn't want to do kickoffs any longer.

twill
06-09-2006, 05:27 PM
why r we lookin in this direction, i would of rather spent this time lookin at sum of the LBs that are available

whackthepack
06-09-2006, 07:37 PM
"Bdubya" wrote:

Didn't some people want us to draft Rhys Lloyd last year?

He is a former Golden Gopher.

I myself hated him as a Gopher! 1 kickoff would be great the next he would shank it out of bounds on the 40 yard line, very inconsistent at kicking and punting both.

He was with the Packers for about 4 days and they cut him, have no idea what the Vikes are thinking with this move. There are some veterans kickers that are available bring one of them in not this putz!

finnishvikingsfan
06-09-2006, 07:52 PM
The only reason the vikings signed him was because he went to the U of M. The vikings have done this with other Gopher players that never had a chance in the NFL. He wont make it through the preseason. I think the vikings are just being nice to him by giving him a shot to kick in the area where he went to school.

DarrinNelsonguy
06-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I have just as good a shot of making the final roster as Rhys Llyod does.

singersp
06-10-2006, 01:28 AM
"Webby" wrote:

They are probably just teasing the poor lad, giving him a taste of a winning team before sending him back to that pile they call a team in GB.

:laughing3: :sign5:

Perhaps they'll sign him just so J.T. O'Sullivan doesn't feel like the only worthless one on the team. :grin:

VikesfaninWis
06-10-2006, 02:02 AM
If something was wrong with Longwell, we would have known about it by now.. Not to sure why they would give the assclown a shot though?