PDA

View Full Version : Star Key to Hutch

COJOMAY
06-06-2006, 03:44 PM
I found this on another website but didn't see it reported here. I found it interesting becauser a couple of weeks ago in another thread on this page I compared the Vikings to the older Big 10 philosphy which was called "Four Yards and a Cloud of Dust." which meant it was a grind it out on the ground (ball control) kind of football that you would see from the Vikings this year. Looks like this writer is agreeing with me. It won't be exciting football but it will be "winning football!"

Star Key to Hutch

By: Viking Update Staff

Date: Jun 5, 2006

The days of the Vikings being the high-octane offense that puts the fear of God into NFL defensive coordinators are over. The new-look Vikings are going to take the approach that has made teams famous in recent years -- ball control, clock management and a power running game.

To be successful in the NFL, you don't need a top-rated offense. It helps, but isn't mandatory. Over the past few years, the Vikings, Colts and Chiefs have consistently posted some of the game's most prolific offensive numbers. Yet, they have no championships to show for it -- or even a single Super Bowl appearance.

No, the Vikings and new head coach Brad Childress are veering in a very different direction. They didn't go out and make a running back like Edgerrin James or a quarterback like Drew Brees their biggest free agent signing in franchise history. Instead, they spent their money on guard Steve Hutchinson, who signed the now-infamous "poison pill" contract for seven years and $49 million.

That should have sent a clear message to the rest of the NFC North. These aren't your Dad's Vikings. This group is going to be different.

The Vikings offense is being built around Brad Johnson, who at his best is a ball-control quarterback. His biggest downfall in the past is that he doesn't throw the deep ball and teams can pack in the safeties. But, when he's got an efficient running game, that all changes.

The signing of Hutchinson completes what the Vikings are convinced will be an offense similar to that run by the Seahawks -- a system capable of the big play, but whose bread and butter is running behind a massive left side of the offensive line. With Hutchinson now flanked by Pro Bowler Matt Birk and potential Pro Bowler Bryant McKinnie, the Vikings have the capability of running that ball 30-40 times a game and being effective.

The days of the bombs to Randy Moss for a quick-strike seven appear to be over for the Vikings. Fans are going to have to get used to a Seattle or Philly style of offense. But, seeing as those thems have been to the last four NFC title games and the last two Super Bowls, maybe that's not such a bad thing to aspire to.

Bdubya
06-06-2006, 03:50 PM
I'll miss those days :cry: , but I guess we gotta do what we gotta do to win, and if that means a more boring offense, I'm all for it. I'll exchange a Super Bowl for some long bombs.

Mr. Purple
06-06-2006, 04:04 PM
I'll miss those days too. But now we're in it to win, not fill seats.

NodakPaul
06-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Winning will fill in the seats. I loved seeing Randy streak down the sidelines and catch a 60 yard bomb from C-Pep, but the fact is we never made it to the big game. I would much rather have a superbowl than a super star...

damien927
06-06-2006, 04:50 PM
granted, we all like big plays, but they aren't everything..... I know pumped and having a good time every time the Vikes get a first down. As long as they win, all will be fine.

Perch56
06-06-2006, 05:26 PM
i miss those days too, but we will still see big plays. troy williamson and koren robinson will light up some defenses

FedjeViking
06-06-2006, 05:31 PM
I'll miss those days too. But I'm all for change if it will have all players play as a team for the purpose of winning!

Bdubya
06-06-2006, 05:37 PM
I don't quite get the title of the article though. What exactly does "Star Key to Hutch" mean?

bigdaddy72_1
06-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Our defense will be exciting to watch, and our offense wil still have big plays. The offense will actually have the opportunity to be more effecient with our big plays, think about the Steelers. They do what we will want to do on offense, except we'll throw more, and when they go for the big play they have set it up so it usually works.

FedjeViking
06-06-2006, 05:46 PM
"Bdubya" wrote:

I don't quite get the title of the article though. What exactly does "Star Key to Hutch" mean?

The 'key' to Brad being 'star' is 'Hutch'

Bdubya
06-06-2006, 05:51 PM
"FedjeViking" wrote:

"Bdubya" wrote:

The 'key' to Brad being 'star' is 'Hutch'

The way it's worded makes it look like Hutch needs some star to do good for him to be successful

COJOMAY
06-06-2006, 06:10 PM
I was confused by the title, too. But I wanted to print it as is so that there would not be confusion with another article.

josdin00
06-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Those offenses were fun to watch, but I've always been more excited by the games where our defense dominated. Maybe it's because those have been pretty rare, and therefore something to savor. Maybe it's because I live in the Chicago area, and Bears fans are contagious. Maybe it's because deep down I'm a sick, malicious guy, and I enjoy the look on the faces of the opposing team's fans when their team goes 3 and out. Again. I don't know exactly why it is, but I'm a much bigger fan of the defensive side of the ball, and with that unit improving, I am a happy Viking fan.

Zeus
06-06-2006, 06:30 PM
"Bdubya" wrote:

I'll miss those days :cry: , but I guess we gotta do what we gotta do to win, and if that means a more boring offense, I'm all for it. I'll exchange a Super Bowl for some long bombs.

I don't recall the San Francisco 49ers offense of the 1980s and 90s as being "boring". Name the stars of those teams: Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Dwight Clark, Roger Craig & Ronnie Lott. 5 offensive players and 1 defensive.

Just because the Vikings aren't hucking it deep to Randy doesn't mean that it will be boring. If they are moving the chains and scoring TDs, that will be exciting to me.

The goal is to make the Vikes the 1989 49ers, not the 2000 Ravens.

=Z=

Bdubya
06-06-2006, 06:36 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Bdubya" wrote:

I don't recall the San Francisco 49ers offense of the 1980s and 90s as being "boring". Name the stars of those teams: Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Dwight Clark, Roger Craig & Ronnie Lott. 5 offensive players and 1 defensive.

Just because the Vikings aren't hucking it deep to Randy doesn't mean that it will be boring. If they are moving the chains and scoring TDs, that will be exciting to me.

The goal is to make the Vikes the 1989 49ers, not the 2000 Ravens.

=Z=

What I mean by boring is that now they are going to be like most of the other teams in the league, in terms of how they play offense. Back in the day, the Vikings were so exciting to watch, and no other team in the league could compete with their firepower. I will just have to get used to a different style of play.

NordicNed
06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Personaly,

I'll welcome anything we do, besides what weve been doing for the past 5 years......

I think we are off to a great start with the new Coaches, Owner, and Players we've been bringing in.

For the first time in a long time, I also have a feeling that we are not only looking like a TEAM, but we are bringing back the attitude of TEAM WORK.......Thats who wins in any sport.....A TEAM