PDA

View Full Version : Derek Ross??



hawaiianvike21
08-24-2004, 04:43 AM
Loooks like we got him. Dont know if i should say yay or nay. :?

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/4944362.html

casper
08-24-2004, 06:13 AM
IF he does come maybe he will take some of that hate he must have for dallas and parcells :wink: could be good for us :? his record did not look to bad until he fell out with the cowgirls new coach...but like you say we have to wait and see fingers crossed, Thanks for the artical

Kleinsasser40
08-24-2004, 09:27 AM
Looks good to me, 5 picks rookie season? Not bad at all. I say give the kid a shot. Maybe we'll get the "steal of free agency" after a few teams passed up on him :lol:

whackthepack
08-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Will he report? Will he be a Cancer? Will he stick? Is his knee OK? With rumors of gang affiliation is he a punk? :scratch: :scratch:

A lot of questions, the good news is he will be a back-up here. Can he handle it, thats another question. Hopefully he will realize that if he wants a career in the NFL he will have to start acting like a pro and not a child.


With Offord having knee problems now I hope that Russell and Chavous stay healthy, we are getting thinner and thinner. :shaking:

SKOL
08-24-2004, 03:45 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

With Offord having knee problems now I hope that Russell and Chavous stay healthy, we are getting thinner and thinner. :shaking:

What's this about Offord's knee? I couldn't find anything... You must have the inside scoop.

Big Daddy
08-24-2004, 04:16 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

With Offord having knee problems now I hope that Russell and Chavous stay healthy, we are getting thinner and thinner. :shaking:

What's this about Offord's knee? I couldn't find anything... You must have the inside scoop.

It was in the article hawaiian linked, about 1/2 way down the article.

daredevil25
08-24-2004, 05:23 PM
Don't even get happy about this guy. I've seen the same scenario on two different boards, people get hyped about this guy and he becomes a flat failure. Just pray he makes some contribution which I doubt he will.

jackyl
08-24-2004, 05:45 PM
I don't see how anything good overall can come from this guy.

VikingsTw
08-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Well i think its gonna have to do with the suport hes gonna get from the coaches and teamates, parcells is the type of guy that wont work with a player he'll just cut him, look what tice has did with moss he worked with him and now moss is on another level then what he was before. It's easy to be exited because his talent but then it brings u down because we dont know if he will turn out. Maybe he'll be fine, maybe hell have a different kind of respect for the viking coaches than he did for the dallas coaches. Its all a mystery we will soon find out.

VikingsTw
08-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Hey dare devil your a falcons fan right, what exactly happened there in atlanta did he get injured or did he just flat out suck?

jackyl
08-24-2004, 06:30 PM
He got released by the Saints too, because he missed his flight after he was claimed off waivers the day after being released by Atlanta.

whackthepack
08-24-2004, 07:37 PM
dot com tom from kfan posted this today. Thought it brought some insight into the Tice's thinking on a few issues.



KFAN dot com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Head coach Mike Tice hasn't decided whether enigmatic cornerback Derek Ross, claimed off waivers late Monday, is healthy or dedicated enough to help the Vikings' depleted secondary.

"We have (Ross)' rights," Tice said after Tuesday's morning practice, which Ross missed while taking a physical. "(But) I don't know if he'll ever see the field."

With starting cornerback Brian Williams out for at least another week and a young, inconsistent group of backups behind him, the Vikings needed a veteran corner to stabilize the unit.

But Ross' own stability -- health and otherwise -- has caused three teams to release him in less than nine months, including two in the past week.

Ross was a third-round draft pick of Dallas in 2002, and led all rookies with five interceptions.

But he clashed openly last season with new coach Bill Parcells, who questioned the former Ohio State standout's fundamentals, as well as the severity of a knee injury that forced Ross to miss six games. The Cowboys released him Dec. 2.

Atlanta, which signed Ross for the final two games of 2003, waived him last Tuesday after he missed more than a week of practice with a slightly-torn meniscus in his knee.

He was claimed off waivers by New Orleans, but the Saints revoked the claim after Ross missed a plane and failed to report on time.

Ross' nomadic career and the condition of his knee are pressing concerns, despite the Vikings' needs in the secondary, according to Tice.

"I have to find out why a player with that much talent has bounced around so much," Tice said. "I don't need another guy on the injured list."

Tice did not specify a timetable for deciding when or if Ross will practice with the team. Tice, Ross and secondary coach Chuck Knox, Jr. met Tuesday afternoon at Winter Park, several hours before a scheduled intrasquad passing scrimmage.

Depth at corner was especially thin Tuesday morning. Starting left cornerback Antoine Winfield missed practice to witness the birth of his third child. Reggie Austin, the Vikings' No. 4 cornerback last week, sat out for the third straight day with a sprained ankle.

Veteran Ken Irvin, who will start in Williams' place Friday against San Francisco, and Rushen Jones practiced with the first unit.

THE BLITZ
• Second-year linebacker Michael Nattiel will replace rookie Dontarrious Thomas on the weak side in the nickel package Friday, Tice said. Thomas will keep his starting job in the base defense.
• An MRI performed Monday on safety Willie Offord's sore left knee did not reveal any ligament damage. Offord practiced Tuesday morning.
• Richard Owens, an undrafted rookie out of Louisville, is pushing seventh-round draft pick Jeff Dugan for the fourth and likely final tight end spot.
• Rookie Cullen Loeffler still must improve his blocking to beat out incumbent long snapper Brody Liddiard, Tice said.
• Fifth-round draft pick Rod Davis has overtaken Max Yates for the backup spot at middle linebacker, but the club may keep both players on the active roster, according to Tice.
• Veteran center Billy Conaty's solid performance in camp, combined with starter Matt Birk's uncertain health, could lead Tice to keep 10 offensive linemen on the active roster. The Vikings kept eight last season, plus two on the practice squad.
• Center Cory Withrow will leave the team after Friday's game to attend to a family issue. He will return Monday morning.

daredevil25
08-24-2004, 07:41 PM
"vikingstw" wrote:

Hey dare devil your a falcons fan right, what exactly happened there in atlanta did he get injured or did he just flat out suck?A little of both. His injury kept him from playing preseason game our teams just played in, but he hasn't shown anything. I think his attitude is really not prioritized on football. Its a damn shame too, he has loads of talent, but when a guy gets cut twice in 9 months (most that time he had was boosted by the offseason) and he can't even catch a flight to his new team, something's wrong! I wouldn't get excited, I saw the joys we had when we got him on the waiver wire, I saw the joy the Saints had when they picked him up off waivers. Each resulted in dissappointment and shock. Every time people harp on his 5 INTs as a rookie and then realize that was in 02, its 04 and he's done little for the teams he was on in that timeframe.

PacNWVike
08-24-2004, 11:15 PM
Hmmmm... Tons of raw talent, possible trick knee, and an attitude. Should be interesting... :?:

SKOL
08-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Hey, it's the long lost and famous PacNWVike. Nice to see Webby let you back... :wink:

AngloVike
08-25-2004, 01:29 AM
"PacNWVike" wrote:

Hmmmm... Tons of raw talent, possible trick knee, and an attitude. Should be interesting... :?:

hey da man is back , so when did you finally find the door to get back on here? :lol:

casper
08-25-2004, 04:29 AM
Whackthepack thanks for the update from Tice and daredevil25 your insight was interesting for sure all we can do is wait and see but Tice has kind of put it out there in plain english put up or your out..no hangers on here. good for TICE I also notice that Starting left cornerback Antoine Winfield missed practice to witness the birth of his third child. Reggie Austin,
Congrate spiderman...Man this guy catches everything

muchluv4smoot
08-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Well, he has met with the coaches and has taken the physical, so we are ahead of where the saints got. Maybe he didn't fly down for the saints physical, because he didn't want to play for them? I know he should be happy to play for anyone at this time, but maybe he wasn't happy that the saints got him off waivers? Just a thought. It doesn't hurt to give him a shot and see what he does. He has a ton of talent and could definitely be a starter in this league again, if he is healthy and gets his mind in the right place. If anyone watched reggie austin in the last preseason game, then you know we desperately need some CB's and no way he will play as bad as austin did, even with an injured knee. This should be interesting to see what happens.

PacNWVike
08-25-2004, 07:26 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

Hey, it's the long lost and famous PacNWVike. Nice to see Webby let you back... :wink:

Thanks Skol! Webby figured out what was wrong with his neurotic HAL9000 and fixed the problem. I missed you guys! Skol Vikings!!!!

PacNWVike
08-25-2004, 07:29 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"PacNWVike" wrote:

Hmmmm... Tons of raw talent, possible trick knee, and an attitude. Should be interesting... :?:

hey da man is back , so when did you finally find the door to get back on here? :lol:

Peter my friend! Good to see you're alive and kicking across the pond! Which game are you coming over to see this year? I'm flying into Mpls for the Sept 26th Chicago game. If you come, I'll be you many pints of COLD American beer! Skol Vikings!

PS Don't forget to piss off the Frogs :thumbright:

VikingsTw
08-25-2004, 07:32 PM
I guess he played on the last series of the scrimage in Blaine so thats good at least hes on the field. Some reports made it sound like he was hurt right now and he couldnt play. Well i'm curious to see him in action it cant get any worse than what we have for back ups. We will proly get a good look at him agains the 49ers this weekend.

rkuriger04
08-25-2004, 10:07 PM
keep him out of trouble and ross is gonna b a perfect backup or even a replacement for b. williams

ItalianStallion
08-25-2004, 10:52 PM
Are you serious? This guy is not going to do anything to supplant Brian Williams.In his case I think we are lucky if when he plays, he manages to stay out of trouble.

VikingsTw
08-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Yeah theres no taking over B Williams spot but eventually maybe maybe Irvins if he isnt on the team much longer, but for now he serves as somebody with talent and maybe not menatlly stable, hopefully he can get his self together. I think he will probably make the team as the 5th CB.

AngloVike
08-26-2004, 02:43 AM
"PacNWVike" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

"PacNWVike" wrote:

Hmmmm... Tons of raw talent, possible trick knee, and an attitude. Should be interesting... :?:

hey da man is back , so when did you finally find the door to get back on here? :lol:

Peter my friend! Good to see you're alive and kicking across the pond! Which game are you coming over to see this year? I'm flying into Mpls for the Sept 26th Chicago game. If you come, I'll be you many pints of COLD American beer! Skol Vikings!

PS Don't forget to piss off the Frogs :thumbright:
I'm still alive and kicking and ready for kickoff ..... won't be in town for the Bears game but will be flying in for the Titans game in October. So if you're watching on TV then look for the Flag of St. George in one corner of the Dome !! :cheers:

hawaiianvike21
08-26-2004, 03:24 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"PacNWVike" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

"PacNWVike" wrote:

Hmmmm... Tons of raw talent, possible trick knee, and an attitude. Should be interesting... :?:

hey da man is back , so when did you finally find the door to get back on here? :lol:

Peter my friend! Good to see you're alive and kicking across the pond! Which game are you coming over to see this year? I'm flying into Mpls for the Sept 26th Chicago game. If you come, I'll be you many pints of COLD American beer! Skol Vikings!

PS Don't forget to piss off the Frogs :thumbright:
I'm still alive and kicking and ready for kickoff ..... won't be in town for the Bears game but will be flying in for the Titans game in October. So if you're watching on TV then look for the Flag of St. George in one corner of the Dome !! :cheers:

Hey anglo i saw a couple of times on t.v the english flag and this guy with a lot of cool viking memoribilia. Was that you??? I couldn't remember what game it was but i swear i think i saw it during the 98 season. It could have been another season but i saw an englishmen with his english flag having the best endzone seats you could get.

pudgesoprano
08-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Winfield is helping Ross so maybe that will help him

Antoine Winfield has taken on an added responsibility in his first season with the Vikings: help former Ohio State teammate and fellow cornerback Derek Ross get his NFL career back on track.

Winfield got right to it Wednesday morning by pulling aside the enigmatic Ross after a position meeting.

Ross said Winfield told him: "It's now or never, so take full advantage of it. You don't want to be getting that release (tag) behind your name."

Ross is carrying that label after Atlanta and New Orleans waived him in the past week. The Vikings claimed him on waivers Monday to add depth in the secondary. Selected by Dallas in the third round of the 2002 draft, Ross has struggled to remain in the NFL since the Cowboys waived him in December.

That came after Ross and hard-driving coach Bill Parcells butted heads. Parcells believed that Ross wasn't toughing through an injury. That is thought to be why Atlanta also waived Ross, who missed a week of practice with knee tendinitis. New Orleans rescinded its waiver claim when Ross missed a flight to join the team.

But Winfield views this as a new beginning for Ross, who showed promise as a rookie by intercepting five passes in nine starts.

Winfield, who played one season with Ross at Ohio State, said that when coach Mike Tice asked about Ross, he told Tice: "Just bring him up here. I'll work with him. If he wants me to study film with him, I'll definitely stay late. I've got an extra bedroom if he needs a place to stay.

"I hear about the things that happened in Atlanta and New Orleans, and everybody's trying to give him a bad rap. I don't see him like that. He's a good player and a good guy, and I hope he'll show some people that he can play."

Ross said Winfield was always willing to help the younger players at Ohio State. And Ross is willing to listen to the two-time All-American again.

"I think it's a perfect fit," Ross said. "Just being with a guy who played with me ##0133;## that's what I need."

AngloVike
08-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Hey anglo i saw a couple of times on t.v the english flag and this guy with a lot of cool viking memoribilia. Was that you??? I couldn't remember what game it was but i swear i think i saw it during the 98 season. It could have been another season but i saw an englishmen with his english flag having the best endzone seats you could get.

No that wasn't me, my first trip to the Dome was in 2000. I know of the guy you mean and think he used to go under the moniker of 'Limey Vike' on the old Viking Underground site. He was a friend of Mr C.O.D and company. I usually get seats around the goal line and the opposite side to where the Vikes come out into Dome. I'll have the Flag of St. George (red cross on white background) with me so thats where I'll be if the TV cameras point my way.

hawaiianvike21
08-27-2004, 02:59 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:



Hey anglo i saw a couple of times on t.v the english flag and this guy with a lot of cool viking memoribilia. Was that you??? I couldn't remember what game it was but i swear i think i saw it during the 98 season. It could have been another season but i saw an englishmen with his english flag having the best endzone seats you could get.

No that wasn't me, my first trip to the Dome was in 2000. I know of the guy you mean and think he used to go under the moniker of 'Limey Vike' on the old Viking Underground site. He was a friend of Mr C.O.D and company. I usually get seats around the goal line and the opposite side to where the Vikes come out into Dome. I'll have the Flag of St. George (red cross on white background) with me so thats where I'll be if the TV cameras point my way.

O, ok ill go look for you if the cameras point your way. Just make sure you have your flag visible.

BTW who is C.O.D??

casper
08-27-2004, 04:47 AM
"pudgesoprano" wrote:

Winfield is helping Ross so maybe that will help him

Antoine Winfield has taken on an added responsibility in his first season with the Vikings: help former Ohio State teammate and fellow cornerback Derek Ross get his NFL career back on track.

Winfield got right to it Wednesday morning by pulling aside the enigmatic Ross after a position meeting.

Ross said Winfield told him: "It's now or never, so take full advantage of it. You don't want to be getting that release (tag) behind your name."

Ross is carrying that label after Atlanta and New Orleans waived him in the past week. The Vikings claimed him on waivers Monday to add depth in the secondary. Selected by Dallas in the third round of the 2002 draft, Ross has struggled to remain in the NFL since the Cowboys waived him in December.

That came after Ross and hard-driving coach Bill Parcells butted heads. Parcells believed that Ross wasn't toughing through an injury. That is thought to be why Atlanta also waived Ross, who missed a week of practice with knee tendinitis. New Orleans rescinded its waiver claim when Ross missed a flight to join the team.

But Winfield views this as a new beginning for Ross, who showed promise as a rookie by intercepting five passes in nine starts.

Winfield, who played one season with Ross at Ohio State, said that when coach Mike Tice asked about Ross, he told Tice: "Just bring him up here. I'll work with him. If he wants me to study film with him, I'll definitely stay late. I've got an extra bedroom if he needs a place to stay.

"I hear about the things that happened in Atlanta and New Orleans, and everybody's trying to give him a bad rap. I don't see him like that. He's a good player and a good guy, and I hope he'll show some people that he can play."

Ross said Winfield was always willing to help the younger players at Ohio State. And Ross is willing to listen to the two-time All-American again.

"I think it's a perfect fit," Ross said. "Just being with a guy who played with me ##0133;## that's what I need."


Man that is great :thumbright: winfield is getting better the more you hear about this guy :thumbleft: my hats off to him SKOL

pudgesoprano
08-27-2004, 04:50 AM
"casper" wrote:

[


Man that is great :thumbright: winfield is getting better the more you hear about this guy :thumbleft: my hats off to him SKOL



that's the same thing i was thinking hopefully it will help ross because he could help our db's

muchluv4smoot
08-27-2004, 10:07 AM
According to Tice, Ross is still injured and probably won't play unbtil the regular season, if that.

If he gets his head on straight, which I think he will with winfield's help, and he gets healthy, he will give us a great first 4 CB's. It would be nice if he was ready for the dallas game, since it sounds like brian williams probably won't be.

AngloVike
08-30-2004, 02:30 AM
"hawaiianvike21" wrote:


O, ok ill go look for you if the cameras point your way. Just make sure you have your flag visible.

BTW who is C.O.D??

Mr C.O.D is Mr Cheer or Die and used to be a regular writer on the old Viking Underground site. He was also the first Vike's fan to be inducted into the Visa Fan Hall of Fame. If you do a search online you'll find some info about him

hawaiianvike21
08-30-2004, 03:09 AM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:


O, ok ill go look for you if the cameras point your way. Just make sure you have your flag visible.

BTW who is C.O.D??

Mr C.O.D is Mr Cheer or Die and used to be a regular writer on the old Viking Underground site. He was also the first Vike's fan to be inducted into the Visa Fan Hall of Fame. If you do a search online you'll find some info about him

OIc, cool, thanx.