PDA

View Full Version : Vikes banking on Childress, Johnson

singersp
06-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Vikes banking on Childress, Johnson

John Czarnecki / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 5 hours ago

Minnesota can be a great place. The lakes, the fresh air, the snowmobiles. But something is amiss with the Vikings, the pride of the Dakotas and the upper Midwest, too.

It started with the general lack of support for former head coach Mike Tice, who tried to micro-manage everything and failed. For some reason, the Vikings have always looked the other way on a player's character, and the club has paid the public-relations' price with such departed stars as Randy Moss and Daunte Culpepper and by giving $10 million to Fred Smoot of Love Boat infamey, such a talented cornerback that the Washington Redskins couldn't wait to pack his bags.

They gambled on running back Onterrio Smith and lost when he was caught with the Whizzanator, but that mistake didn't teach them anything. Instead, they picked up receiver Koren Robinson, who was suspended numerous times by the Seattle Seahawks before finally being put on the streets.

In the past, former head coach Denny Green could control the characters on this team, but his love-hate relationship with the media took its toll and he devised his own firing, leaving former owner Red McCombs shell-shocked and a lot poorer. McCombs then simply promoted Tice because it was easy and also fiscally responsible.

New owner Zygi Wilf inherited some of this baggage and after a rocky first season decided to clean house. Wilf totally whiffed on one of his first major hires, having already fired top personnel man Fran Foley, the legal settlement pending. Also, he rushed to hire Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress and give him all this power like he's the second coming of Bill Belichick.

Well, that's the way it is now, after the so-called Triangle of Authority disintegrated with the ousting of Foley. This week, Wilf hired Rick Spielman, whom he passed over originally, to assume Foley's role. Like other unemployed executives, Spielman was binding his time with ESPN waiting for his phone to ring.

Spielman probably owes his job to contract negotiator Rob Brzezinski, a club vice president. The two are good friends and should work well together. Both have plenty of compassion, being fathers of adopted children. They are good men. Wilf deserves credit for promoting both of them.

Spielman, though, has been an unlucky personnel director. When he worked pro personnel for the Chicago Bears, that team never had a Pro Bowl player, the signature of an excellent personnel judge. Chicago's big mistake during his tenure was wasting a first-round draft pick on quarterback Rick Mirer. Spielman then followed former Bears coach Dave Wannstedt to Miami where they spent a second-round pick on Eagles quarterback A.J. Feeley and gave up a ton to New Orleans for running back Ricky Williams. There is no doubt that Williams was productive, but he's out of the NFL and his retirement cost Wannstedt and Spielman their jobs.

So what part of the new Triangle of Authority fits Spielman?

"I was on the outside and looked at this Triangle of Authority," Spielman told Minnesota reporters. "I think that was something the media labeled on this thing. I don't think there's a Triangle of Authority. I want to get to know the coaches. I want to build a relationship with the coaches and the personnel staff."

The bottom line is that Spielman will attempt to do what is best for the organization.

Finally, what are the expectations? Minnesota's most recent college draft was roundly criticized league-wide, but there remains enormous pressure on the organization to improve on last year's 9-7 record. Why? Because the perception is that Tice messed it up and what he didn't mess up the players did by their foolish public sex party on the Love Boat. The idea is that Childress is no-nonsense and head and shoulders strategy-wise above Tice.

But is that reality?

Childress is banking on quarterback Brad Johnson, who will turn 38 in September. But will Johnson still be standing and be in one piece come December? The running game will now feature Mewelde Moore, who has been very unreliable, starting only eight games last season. The offensive line is solid, but the playmakers are tight end Jermaine Wiggins and Travis Taylor, two solid receivers; but neither is a game-breaker.

Childress needs Troy Williamson and Robinson to become stars right away. If that happens, Minnesota has a chance. But so much is riding on Johnson and Childress to deliver in a big way.

The best approach is probably to sit back and wait and see. For the most part, that's how Childress has treated the situation. He can do that, along with hiding from the media like he did when Spielman was hired.

Vikes banking on Childress, Johnson (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5663942)

NordicNed
06-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Just another bonehead wannabe sports writer......Hell, he didn't even mention T.Taylors name as our featured RB....He went with MM.....What a loser.......

Singer, these negetive sports writers are getting to be a bore man......I'de rater read Dear Abby...........................

singersp
06-05-2006, 12:52 PM
"I was on the outside and looked at this Triangle of Authority," Spielman told Minnesota reporters. "I think that was something the media labeled on this thing. I don't think there's a Triangle of Authority. "

What an idiot! He's been interviewed twice for the same position.

And he doesn't he even know it was Zygi who came up with the "Triangle of Authority" based off his personal business, not the media?

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

singersp
06-05-2006, 12:54 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Just another bonehead wannabe sports writer......Hell, he didn't even mention T.Taylors name as our featured RB....He went with MM.....What a loser.......

Singer, these negetive sports writers are getting to be a bore man......I'de rater read Dear Abby...........................

Welcome to the offseason. :wink:

cajunvike
06-05-2006, 01:52 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

That would be C. Taylor, Ned...but you are right...the writer is just another Vikings basher...one more guy to pimpslap when we exceed expectations this year!!! :lol:

Prophet
06-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Recycled off-the-cuff writing style, it works if you're in 7th grade and the term paper is due in the morning.

As far as the BJ debate goes, what would any coach do? The previous starter gets maimed and then goes psychotic. The Vikings are doing what any sane person would do, start the guy that unburied them from their horrid start in '05 while grooming a QB that will take the helm in the future. Is there a risk? Of course. There isn't a team in the NFL that isn't an injury away from upheaval. Any coaching staff will do their best to manage around these circumstances if at all possible.

There are too many other issues brought up by this author to delve into all of them. He lost credibility in my eyes when the only issues he brought up were the national media tidbits while missing out on key acquisitions and the combination of FA & draft moves based on team needs.

I am very relieved that Childress is concentrating on the lines, just like he said he would. That is the best form of insurance in today's salary cap driven NFL.

digital420
06-05-2006, 01:58 PM
heh..

what can you say.. more backwash coing from people who have to submit something in the form of written thought as deadlines approach..

u know. if one.. just one sports writer would simply go in and tell it how it is and not give 99% opioninated refirbished garbage he's prolly become the fav sports writer in MN!!

DiGiTaL

COJOMAY
06-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Formula for being a sports writer:
Go back at least five years (10 is better) and dredge up everything a team/owner/coach did wrong. Then come to the present date and make those pieces somehow fit into today's situation so they can make the mistakes of the past suddenly the mistakes of the present. Then kinda make some connection -- this writer's is a thing of beauty...
("The idea is that Childress is no-nonsense and head and shoulders strategy-wise above Tice.
But is that reality?
Childress is banking on quarterback Brad Johnson, who will turn 38 in September. But will Johnson still be standing and be in one piece come December?")
Then tie the whole thing together with a a top-notch catching ending like "Let's wait and see" and try to drag down the team and make yourself look good.
I would love to take a writer's column for the last 10 years and write a column on how many mistakes they have made as so-called "experts" and get it published in the same vehicle they write for.
Can anyone please tell me what this writer's quote I have included really means and how it ties into the article of the prediction the Vikings are in trouble? He's just asking stupid "what if" questions.

Bdubya
06-05-2006, 03:10 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Go back at least five years (10 is better) and dredge up everything a team/owner/coach did wrong. Then come to the present date and make those pieces somehow fit into today's situation so they can make the mistakes of the past suddenly the mistakes of the present. Then kinda make some connection -- this writer's is a thing of beauty...
("The idea is that Childress is no-nonsense and head and shoulders strategy-wise above Tice.
But is that reality?
Childress is banking on quarterback Brad Johnson, who will turn 38 in September. But will Johnson still be standing and be in one piece come December?")
Then tie the whole thing together with a a top-notch catching ending like "Let's wait and see" and try to drag down the team and make yourself look good.
I would love to take a writer's column for the last 10 years and write a column on how many mistakes they have made as so-called "experts" and get it published in the same vehicle they write for.
Can anyone please tell me what this writer's quote I have included really means and how it ties into the article of the prediction the Vikings are in trouble? He's just asking stupid "what if" questions.

Exactly. The fact is that Brad Johnson is still being productive. What this guy is saying is that Childress is counting on a quarterback that might get hurt, but he played longer last year than Daunte. Brad is a big boy, he can take hits.

snowinapril
06-05-2006, 03:12 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

But is that reality?

Without writing a whole other paragraph, he just assume the letting go of DC(forcing out/ butting heads) is the obvious. No nonsense = my way or the highway, it also equates to you got rid of a high caliber QB and instead of having DC and a quality/old backup, you have an old starter. He just doesn't think Brad will be standing and throwing ant the end of the season.

It is really hard to predict that one. If he was so sure, he would be putting everything he's got on a team to win the SB this year. Point, he doesn't have that kind of bet going in Vegas or anywhere else, it is a lot easier to write an article about some suspect teams than actually know something for certain.

None of us know!!

boognish
06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I see that I'm in the minority here, but I thought that was a pretty decent article summarizing a lot of the concerns many Vikes fans I know are expressing.

While I agree that the past isn't necessarily a predictor of the future, it is interesting to look at the organization's past and wonder if that culture will change with a new regime at the helm. There's no disputing the fact that the Vikes have been known for picking up players with questionable character and hoping that they can overcome that long enough to contribute on the field. We saw last season that bad character usually wins out, unfortunately. So now the house has been cleaned out for the most part and Zygi is talking a good game about the importance of good character players, but we'll see; sometimes changing the culture of an organization is easier said than done.

Regarding this season, there is no doubt that expectations are high in MN. Many fans, myself included, believe that Tice's lack of knowledge and lack of quality coaching personnel was the key reason that the team underperformed the last several seasons. Childress is being heralded as the saviour who will come in and straighten everything out (and I hope he does), but the truth is that this guy has never been a HC in the NFL and the OC and DC have never held that much responsibility either; they're all a bunch of rook's.

And, even if Big Johnson stays healthy he simply isn't an elite QB; he's adequate, but not great. We also haven't seen a #1 WR step up yet. Everyone is talking about K. Rob being the next Randy Moss, but he hasn't shown it on the field yet; he couldn't even find a spot on the starting roster for WR's last year. Chester could be great this year at RB, but now we're hearing reports that he showed up to camp way out of shape; maybe Moore will be the featured back after all.

There are a lot of question marks with this team, but I'm cautiously optimistic about our chances to make the playoffs this year. I'm pretty gun-shy though and won't be jumping on the superbowl bandwagon anytime soon, especially after last year's debacle (when most analysts had us going to the SuperBowl).

Json
06-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I couldn't agree more with you boognish. I felt the article was a decent summary about what the Vikings are going through at this time. The more and more the offseason as progressed the more and more skeptical I have become. I too will not be jumping on anytype of superbowl bandwagon. I will instead pray to the football gods that the Vikings win the North and put us in the playoffs for starters. I must stress PRAY.

Zeus
06-05-2006, 09:39 PM
"boognish" wrote:

I see that I'm in the minority here, but I thought that was a pretty decent article summarizing a lot of the concerns many Vikes fans I know are expressing.

Yes.

But that doesn't mean the author isn't a snarky wannabe who probably hasn't kissed a girl since the time he pecked on Fat Fanny Finkle during summer day camp back in '86.

=Z=

Bdubya
06-05-2006, 09:46 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"boognish" wrote:

Yes.

But that doesn't mean the author isn't a snarky wannabe who probably hasn't kissed a girl since the time he pecked on Fat Fanny Finkle during summer day camp back in '86.

=Z=

He doesn't want cooties dude.

thanatoschristou
06-05-2006, 10:38 PM
All coaches play hoping their QB don't get hurt. It is the flipping NFL, people get hurt. It is not like BJ has been on the shelf his whole career. He does not get hurt much. He will not get sacked a thousand times because the line rocks and he is smart, he will not hold onto the ball. BJ will be fine. The author is an idiot to say we made a mistake on Koren. He been drinking more than Koren did. WOW! We will be solid. A team doesn't necc need a game beaker, just don't make mistakes, score, and choke the otherr defense. We will do this.

V-Unit
06-06-2006, 07:03 AM
"Spielman probably owes his job to contract negotiator Rob Brzezinski, a club vice president. The two are good friends and should work well together. Both have plenty of compassion, being fathers of adopted children. They are good men. Wilf deserves credit for promoting both of them."

That is the paragraph that worries me the most. I don't care about the relationship the two men have with each other, I care about their ability to manage a team. The writer tries to argue that Spielman is the right man for the job, but the paragraph above is all he can muster for persausion. After reading that I am hopeful that the Vikings got better on the field, but doubtful the massive overhaul led to an improvement in the front office.

audioghost
06-06-2006, 07:56 AM
That article sucks....

COJOMAY
06-07-2006, 07:21 PM
I want to know how a professional writer makes mistakes like this:

Love Boat infamey The correct word is infamy.

Spielman was binding his time The correct word is biding.

Prophet
06-07-2006, 07:45 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

:lol: Professional writers have editors to take care of the small stuff. They get paid for their ideas and thinking process.

This guy is just trying to fill the offseason void by writing mind-numbing crap that we're stupid enough to read.

VikesFan4Life
06-07-2006, 07:55 PM
I just laughed when I read the article.

Who is this guy anyway? I've never heard of him.

PurpleRide
06-07-2006, 07:59 PM
he was right on the fact childress is banking on johnson. remember folks johnson choked big time when it came to playing semi-quality teams last year. if we have to depend on him for one second, i sugest leaving the stadium early or turning off the tv. I have no faith in johnson, he is washed up and cannot beat quality teams. please dont bring up the SB ring or the WC offense, that was in the distant past. Last year he sucked when it mattered.

V-Unit
06-07-2006, 08:06 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

he was right on the fact childress is banking on johnson. remember folks johnson choked big time when it came to playing semi-quality teams last year. if we have to depend on him for one second, i sugest leaving the stadium early or turning off the tv. I have no faith in johnson, he is washed up and cannot beat quality teams. please dont bring up the SB ring or the WC offense, that was in the distant past. Last year he sucked when it mattered.I see your point, but only two games mattered?
If it weren't for Brad those games would not have mattered at all. They would have been insignificant games for a team that had no chance of making the playoffs.

Not every ggod football player is a clutch footballplayer. Yes it is nice when you know a player has the ability to make a clutch play at the right time,but some fans prefer consistency. I like players who don't turn the ball over when protecting a 4th quarter lead.

Prophet
06-07-2006, 08:25 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

he was right on the fact childress is banking on johnson. remember folks johnson choked big time when it came to playing semi-quality teams last year. if we have to depend on him for one second, i sugest leaving the stadium early or turning off the tv. I have no faith in johnson, he is washed up and cannot beat quality teams. please dont bring up the SB ring or the WC offense, that was in the distant past. Last year he sucked when it mattered.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/6-kings/Hello.jpg

Vikes_King
06-07-2006, 08:42 PM
same thing, different author

PAvikesfan
06-07-2006, 08:46 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

that's kinda laughable...

NodakPaul
06-07-2006, 09:02 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

Yawn.

The same arguement could easily be made for Daunte. He only beat NO and the Packers last season. Every other "quality" team blew us out of the water. The surrounding cast have as much impact on the outcome of the game, if not more. In the offseason we upgraded key parts of that cast, from coaches to OL to RB. That is what I am banking on for this coming season.

And I don't leave the stadium early or shut off the TV... no matter how the game is going. :wink:

cajunvike
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I saw those earlier...but the BIGGEST mistake (one that showed that the author did NOT do any research besides checking to see what was on the Packer websites) is the one where he didn't even know that our running game will be anchored by Chester Taylor:

"The running game will now feature Mewelde Moore..."

What a DUMB BASS!!!

RK.
06-07-2006, 10:26 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

I see it was all Brads fault. Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression that maybe it was Tice's stupid game prep, and Cottrells idiot defensive schemes, an O line that was really weak and couldn't protect anyone or provide much of a running game to take the pressure off the quarterback. I didn't realize that it was all Brads fault that he lost 2 whole games last year. :roll: Glad to see you will be leaving the stadium early DA.

Redmption
06-07-2006, 10:47 PM
This guy is such an idiot and I dont think that just because I am a biased Vikings fan. The biggest points of his article are totally flawed. As previously pointed out C.T. is our running back not MM. Yeah Koren was a slight risk but his contract was only for a year and he was on a short leash. Now hes a pro bowl player and could be a #1 WR yet the author still talks like it was a bad move. Did this guy even follow the Vikings season and offseason? Its like he just took headlines and wrote an article meshing them all together. Brad won 8 games behind a terrible line and now the line is one of the best in the league, on paper. In theory Brad should be better, especially since he will have a run game now. Two everyone wants to talk about the loss of Burleson but he was injured a chunk of the year and was mostly ineffective the rest, so how does his loss so drastically hurt the team? The Vikes still have 3 first round picks for WR's. How many other teams have that luxury?? The quality of sports reporting is getting worse and worse these days. And editors dont only fix typos, they are supposed to review the general information within the article, so the starting RB comment should have been caught. Shows the great intelligence over at foxsports

whackthepack
06-07-2006, 11:30 PM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

You are getting hammered, so I thought I would join in and hammer some more! Kick a guy when he is down!

To blame Brad alone is ridiculous! The O-line was pathetic and was the area that got the most attention in the off season. We did not have a running game to any pressure off of our passing game, and against the better teams we paid the price.

If you dislike Brad that is your opinion, and I myself would rather see a different starting QB this year, but it is going to be Brad. I do not think you can blame him alone for what happened last year, he did go 7 - 2 when Daunte could only manage 2 - 5 with the same players! You can say it was against weak teams, but to go 7 -2 in the NFL against what ever teams you are facing is tough to do.

PurplePeopleEaters89
06-07-2006, 11:34 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I am just sick and tired of people that think they can come out with all this "information" and think they are sports writers!! It is just sad!!!