PDA

View Full Version : Bryant Mckinnie

vikings11_27
06-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I thought that we had him till the end of the 2008 season, but I've been looking for it and so far every site says this is his contract year.

Does anyone know when his contract actually runs out???

NordicNed
06-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Without looking, I also thought this was his last contract year. But then again, I may be wrong....

SKOL
06-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Found this on NFL.com:

LAYING IT ON THE LINE
Having poured $49 million into its offensive line, the Minnesota Vikings are prepared to spend some more.

Vikings left tackle Bryant McKinnie is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season and some NFL executives believe Steve Hutchinson's new $49 million contract with Minnesota could influence those negotiations.

For starters, Hutchinson's contract contains a clause -- the "poison pill" that prevented Seattle from matching the offer sheet -- that mandates he be the highest-paid offensive lineman on his team this season or his contract must be fully guaranteed.

This means that if the Vikings were to negotiate a contract extension with McKinnie this season, it could not pay him more than $7 million per year, or they would have to guarantee Hutchinson's contract in full.

But after the Vikings play their last game this season, there would be no restrictions on what they could pay McKinnie, a 26-year-old ascending offensive tackle whose biggest asset is his pass-protection skills.

The Vikings have been fully aware of McKinnie's contract status, but it doesn't change the fact that, at this time next year, the team could be pouring a ton of money into the left side of its offensive line.

This year, Hutchinson cashed in. Sometime in the next year, McKinnie will.

damien927
06-03-2006, 07:48 PM
yeah, he will be a FA after this year....

I hope they are working on a deal now, rather than waiting......

I also hope that the Hutchinson pill doesn't hurt our chances of keeping him.

singersp
06-03-2006, 07:48 PM
LAYING IT ON THE LINE

Having poured $49 million into its offensive line, the Minnesota Vikings are prepared to spend some more.

Vikings left tackle Bryant McKinnie is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season and some NFL executives believe Steve Hutchinson's new $49 million contract with Minnesota could influence those negotiations.

For starters, Hutchinson's contract contains a clause -- the "poison pill" that prevented Seattle from matching the offer sheet -- that mandates he be the highest-paid offensive lineman on his team this season or his contract must be fully guaranteed.

This means that if the Vikings were to negotiate a contract extension with McKinnie this season, it could not pay him more than $7 million per year, or they would have to guarantee Hutchinson's contract in full.

But after the Vikings play their last game this season, there would be no restrictions on what they could pay McKinnie, a 26-year-old ascending offensive tackle whose biggest asset is his pass-protection skills.

The Vikings have been fully aware of McKinnie's contract status, but it doesn't change the fact that, at this time next year, the team could be pouring a ton of money into the left side of its offensive line.

This year, Hutchinson cashed in. Sometime in the next year, McKinnie will.

LAYING IT ON THE LINE (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9326885)

vikings11_27
06-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks SKOL.

That sucks though, cause I don't think he'll re-sign. He said that he wanted to be released or traded if we dealt C-pep. He is gonna be the best OT in the game in a year or 2. I really hopewe give him a lot of money and then add an extra year that is worth nothing (like the deal Walter Jones did) so we can keep him and not guaruntee hutch.

snowinapril
06-03-2006, 08:00 PM
"vikings11_27" wrote:

Thanks SKOL.

That sucks though, cause I don't think he'll re-sign. He said that he wanted to be released or traded if we dealt C-pep. He is gonna be the best OT in the game in a year or 2. I really hopewe give him a lot of money and then add an extra year that is worth nothing (like the deal Walter Jones did) so we can keep him and not guaruntee hutch.

I have seen him interviewed since the trade and his tune has changed. Money talks, and we will see if he will listen to us or test the market.

Initially, I think he was in the dirt with DC, and it was all for one, one for all. Since the trade actually happened, I think he has become Viking friendly again.

VikesfaninWis
06-03-2006, 08:01 PM
What can McKinney really expect? Yes he is good, and yes he has been an anchor for our line to this point. Can the Vikes actually pay him All Pro money for someone that has not yet made the Pro Bowl? I would say pay him as much as they can without messing with the Hutchinson deal.. That is if he agrees to it.

snowinapril
06-03-2006, 08:11 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

What can McKinney really expect? Yes he is good, and yes he has been an anchor for our line to this point. Can the Vikes actually pay him All Pro money for someone that has not yet made the Pro Bowl? I would say pay him as much as they can without messing with the Hutchinson deal.. That is if he agrees to it.

I think they get the deal done before the end of the season. Before the FA bigins that is. It won't be Hutch money, if it is, they will let him go. Let's see how it goes this season.

Pro Bowl money?????? Maybe he will make the Pro Bowl??

DarrinNelsonguy
06-03-2006, 08:14 PM
He really seemed to develop into a more consistant player this last year, and I hope he continues to improve to merit a big pay day.

pepper 0n moss
06-03-2006, 08:16 PM
McKinnie will never stand a chance to make the NFC pro bowl roster as long as Orlando Pace and Walter Jones stay healthy.

vikenheel_zdl16
06-03-2006, 08:38 PM
I think McKinnie is our second best OL behind Hutchingson.

COJOMAY
06-03-2006, 09:11 PM
[quote]For starters, Hutchinson's contract contains a clause -- the "poison pill" that prevented Seattle from matching the offer sheet -- that mandates he be the highest-paid offensive lineman on his team this season or his contract must be fully guaranteed.[quote]

So my question is this -- how long a time from the end of the season until FA begins? They can do a contract the day the season ends and the poison pill has no effect. And if the Vikes have a good season and look good for the future, McKinnie would sign in a hurry to be playing with a Super Bowl contender. It's a long time before the season ends though and anything can happen. Either Mckinnie or Hutch could get badly injured.

snowinapril
06-03-2006, 09:54 PM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

McKinnie will never stand a chance to make the NFC pro bowl roster as long as Orlando Pace and Walter Jones stay healthy.

Maybe not this year, but on a NFC champioinship team with a 1200-1500 yard rusher, he could unseed the others.

I hear ya!

But it is possible, a lot of it is being on the right team, a winning team. There are a handful of guys that have very similar abilities and winning and reputation puts them over the top

I would say that the high profile position guys differentiate themselves better than linemen, but then I just have to mention Matt Hasselbeck and that arguement goes out the window. LOL!

howkings
06-03-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm thinking we franchise him if we don't get a deal done by the end of this season.

snowinapril
06-03-2006, 10:30 PM
"howkings" wrote:

I'm thinking we franchise him if we don't get a deal done by the end of this season.

Ya, if we think we are close to our goal of winning the NFC in 2007-2008, and contending for the SB, that would be an option for us.

Even if I don't like the TAG!

Mr. Purple
06-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Believe me, our orginization knows hes gonna be a UFA and I'm sure thier already planning on getting him back. Hutch is the highest paid offensive linemen...But even McKinnie knows he deserves the money hes getting. I think this season will determine if McKinnie resigns or walks.He was one of the players who was strongly against trading Culpepper...and I feel that if we have a sub par season, he'll walk.

PurplePeopleEaters89
06-03-2006, 10:49 PM
I think if he has a really good season we either Franchise him (if we can) or we give him a big, long deal that keeps him, Hutch, and Birk here for a really long time!!

VikingKen
06-03-2006, 11:21 PM
I like McKinnie but I question some of his actions. IMHO I think the whole boat thing has hurt him and smoot with managment. If either of them have a less than stellar season this year they'll be gone.

FuadFan
06-04-2006, 03:31 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"howkings" wrote:

Ya, if we think we are close to our goal of winning the NFC in 2007-2008, and contending for the SB, that would be an option for us.

It will cost more then 9 million dollars to give him the tag next year either sign him or let him go and right now he should not make more money then Steve Hutchinson.

ejmat
06-04-2006, 06:17 AM
"pepper 0n moss" wrote:

Walter Jones had Hutch next to him last year. Makes a big difference who else is on the line with you.

snowinapril
06-04-2006, 07:56 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"howkings" wrote:

It will cost more then 9 million dollars to give him the tag next year either sign him or let him go and right now he should not make more money then Steve Hutchinson.

Are you thinking that the cost of a lineman is going to go up this year. Isn't Hutch the highest paid OL player???

The Tag is the average of the top five salaries at his position, and that will put him above Hutch??????? Are you sure??

DarrinNelsonguy
06-04-2006, 08:00 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"howkings" wrote:

Are you thinking that the cost of a lineman is going to go up this year. Isn't Hutch the highest paid OL player???

The Tag is the average of the top five salaries at his position, and that will put him above Hutch??????? Are you sure??

I think Hutch is the highest paid Guard because I think Walter Jones and a couple other tackles make 9 million/yr and it would be the average of the top 5 OT in the game if we franchise McKinnie.

Lando
06-04-2006, 04:28 PM
They group all OL into one for salary cap comparison. You are now comparing with C's and LG's also.

Jarlvik2006
06-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Let's play the season and see how it works. He's been good, but not yet great. With this being a "contract year", I would expect BIG things from him. If so, let the bidding begin. Part of me would rather get the deal done now so there's no drama during the season...but I still need to see a true Pro Bowl season to be sure of his value.

singersp
06-04-2006, 05:02 PM
I do believe also, that McKinnie is a RFA next year & not an UFA, which means we would get compensated for him if we lost him.

The only UFA's we have next year are;

linebacker E.J. Henderson
quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan
wide receiver Travis Taylor
offensive lineman Jason Whittle
tight end Richard Angulo.

Mauer continues to prove Twins made right move (http://www.startribune.com/507/story/471870.html)

thetrenches68OL
06-04-2006, 05:11 PM
i just hope we dont lose him he is a beast

thepacksux
06-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Player Profile
McKinnie, Bryant
View Stats at Players Inc Site
Player Info
Draft Info

OL (#)
Year: 2002

Minnesota Vikings
Round: 1

Miami, FL
Position: 7

Salary History

2002 1416666.00
2003 600000.00
2004 600000.00
2005 700000.00
2006 900000.00
2007 1445500.00
2008 1890998.00

* taken from nflpa.com

thepacksux
06-04-2006, 06:02 PM
im pretty sure the '08 season is a voidable option year, so he is with us for at least two more years

snowinapril
06-04-2006, 06:16 PM
"thepacksux" wrote:

im pretty sure the '08 season is a voidable option year, so he is with us for at least two more years

Yes, he gets to test the market after this year.

I think we either renegotiate, and pay him a nice sizable amount or he test the market and we have to match it, unless they poison pill us some how. It isn't that difficult to do, Nate.

Bills Writer's Perspective
(http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2006/06/03/nfl_crystal_ball_time.php)

Bryant McKinnie was not the guy the team wanted, and the ensuing contract negotiations reflected it. They attempted to lowball McKinnie into accepting a contract with millions less than the man picked one slot after him. The holdout was ugly, and lasted 100 days. There was a very real possibility that McKinnie would have held out until he could re-enter the draft in 2003. The team and McKinney agreed on a contract that expires after the 2007 season.

Most recently, the Vikings have negotiated a restricted free agent contract with left guard Steve Hutchinson containing a poison pill clause that would result in the entire contract becoming guaranteed if he is not the most highly paid offensive lineman on the team. The deal will put an automatic roof on any contract negotiations between McKinnie and the team.

Given his past history with the club, his affinity for the Miami area, the presence of the Hutchinson deal, his involvement in the 'Love Boat' scandal, and his recent public disillusionment over the Moss and Culpepper trades, my crystal ball shows me Bryant McKinnie wearing aqua and orange at the very latest by 2008, with a strong possibility for a trade or release by 2007. The Dolphins recently signed L.J. Shelton to a modest three-year contract, but his career play should not discourage the team for finding a franchise bookend when one falls in their laps

Vikes_King
06-04-2006, 08:51 PM
i dont see us letting him get away, im not worried about it

thepacksux
06-05-2006, 12:43 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"thepacksux" wrote:

Yes, he gets to test the market after this year.

I think we either renegotiate, and pay him a nice sizable amount or he test the market and we have to match it, unless they poison pill us some how. It isn't that difficult to do, Nate.

Bills Writer's Perspective
(http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2006/06/03/nfl_crystal_ball_time.php)

Bryant McKinnie was not the guy the team wanted, and the ensuing contract negotiations reflected it. They attempted to lowball McKinnie into accepting a contract with millions less than the man picked one slot after him. The holdout was ugly, and lasted 100 days. There was a very real possibility that McKinnie would have held out until he could re-enter the draft in 2003. The team and McKinney agreed on a contract that expires after the 2007 season.

Most recently, the Vikings have negotiated a restricted free agent contract with left guard Steve Hutchinson containing a poison pill clause that would result in the entire contract becoming guaranteed if he is not the most highly paid offensive lineman on the team. The deal will put an automatic roof on any contract negotiations between McKinnie and the team.

Given his past history with the club, his affinity for the Miami area, the presence of the Hutchinson deal, his involvement in the 'Love Boat' scandal, and his recent public disillusionment over the Moss and Culpepper trades, my crystal ball shows me Bryant McKinnie wearing aqua and orange at the very latest by 2008, with a strong possibility for a trade or release by 2007. The Dolphins recently signed L.J. Shelton to a modest three-year contract, but his career play should not discourage the team for finding a franchise bookend when one falls in their laps

so like i said, after next year, the '07 season, he will be a free agent. Not after this season

ItalianStallion
06-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Since when has McKinnie shown he deserves to be paid more than Hutchinson who is the best in the game at his position?

twill
06-05-2006, 02:11 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Since when has McKinnie shown he deserves to be paid more than Hutchinson who is the best in the game at his position?

ditto, but what do you do if mckinney has a good season, goes to the pro bowl, u knw hes ognna be hunting for the most loot. would we consider givin him a similar figure that was given to hutch?

Vikes_King
06-05-2006, 02:34 AM
absolutely, but of course, a tiny bit less ;), if it isnt obvious now after the hutch deal, our guys are amazing at crunching the numbers (<3 robby), if we really want him they'll figure out a way to keep him.

besides, if the contract itself is "too low" for him since we'd keep it below hutch's, throw on signing bonuses, those are factored into the actual contract worth

AngloVike
06-05-2006, 11:16 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Good point, McKinnie is good at pass blocking without a doubt but his run block is nowhere near the same level. If he wants the big bucks then he's going to have to get that side of his game up to speed.
I guess I've always had a little bit of a downer on McKinnie with all the nonsense that went with his contract negotiations after his signing and have sometimes questioned how much he is committed to the team. There was a lot of hype pre-draft with how good a tackle he was at Miami and I think some of that went to his head. Maybe with Hutchinson being brought in he now feels that he's lost the opportunity to be the highest paid lineman on the team.
So don't be surprised to see him play out of his skin this year in order to get signed up by another team - like Miami for example ? That way he can link up with Pep again and also return to his adoring fans back down in Florida.
Just my two pennyworth on the subject

sunny
06-05-2006, 03:36 PM
The good news is that the salary cap is just going to keep going up. With that siad, I'll bet that within 1 to 2 years Hutch is not the highest paid gaurd in the league and signing McKinnie will be expensive but it wont kill us with the cap either. McKinnie, show us your worth it and we'll pay you!(thats easy for me to say as I'm not the one writing the check).

thepacksux
06-05-2006, 07:18 PM
the left tackle position makes the money go up. I agree if he re-signed today he would not get that kind of money. However, if he picks up where he left off last season and continues to improve, look for him to get a similar deal to hutch.

thanatoschristou
06-05-2006, 08:30 PM
We will really improve this year as a team and b mic has to see we will be getting continually better. Why would you leave a team Super Bowl bound in the next three years?

singersp
06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
What I want to see him accomplish is to get his fat ass out of his 3 point stance quicker.

Plus he is still getting beat on the outside.

Bdubya
06-05-2006, 09:06 PM
As of right now, there is no way McKinnie is worth Hutchinson money. If he doesn't improve greatly this year, I don't see the reason that we should pay him that kind of money. Sure, he is only going to improve, but at what point does he stop progressing, and how much are we going to pay to see him get there?

AngloVike
06-05-2006, 09:09 PM
"singersp" wrote:

What I want to see him accomplish is to get his fat jiggly butt out of his 3 point stance quicker.

Plus he is still getting beat on the outside.
that was one thing that really bugged me his first season..... he'd hung around so long with the contract negotiations and he still came into the team out of condition and practice. I think he spent the rest of the season setting in a 2-point stance.
I expected to se him come in and show why he was worth all the waiting and hassle and then pulled that little trick ....

AngloVike
06-05-2006, 09:13 PM
"Bdubya" wrote:

As of right now, there is no way McKinnie is worth Hutchinson money. If he doesn't improve greatly this year, I don't see the reason that we should pay him that kind of money. Sure, he is only going to improve, but at what point does he stop progressing, and how much are we going to pay to see him get there?
anyone know of any up and coming LTs that may be worth drafting nxt year ? Maybe if there is then he could be expendable or slapping a tender on that will garner a first round pick - assuming another team thinks he is worth what HE thinks he is worth

seaniemck7
06-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Keep in mind, Childress is big on building a team around the Offensive and Defensive lines. If he feels McKinney fits his system and plays well, he will get him paid.

cajunvike
06-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey, if he earns a raise, give him one. If he doesn't, let him walk. We can always find someone who wants to earn their money the honest way!

olson_10
06-05-2006, 10:21 PM
"vikenheel_zdl16" wrote:

I think McKinnie is our second best OL behind Hutchingson.
hes nowhere near as good at LT than matt birk is at C

stjmnsota
06-06-2006, 10:48 PM
don't think that other teams won't be throwing "poison pill" clauses at Mckinnie to get him away from the Vikes. They better work on a deal now.

NodakPaul
06-06-2006, 11:21 PM
McKinnie is smart enough to know (or at least his agent is smart enough to know) that he is one of the most important pieces of our line. Add to that his outspoken dissatisifcation of the Culpepper situation, it will be very hard to keep McKinnie in Minnesota for anything less than a monster contract or a franchise tag.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see us to franchise him at the end of this year.

ejmat
06-06-2006, 11:29 PM
He will most likely get some kind of tag. As far as a "poison pill" they will probably be illegal when it comes down to FAs by the signing period next year. Bottom line is McKinney has to still prove himself. He had a good 2nd half to last season but prior to that, he wasn't that great. I watched him in Miami and he was awesome. He never let up a sack in college. I hope he gets that form back in the pros. The Pep situation will be long gone by next year if the Vikings have a good season.

Benet
06-06-2006, 11:32 PM
The Vikes can only agree a contract with McKinnie in principle; the moment it gets signed and it's above the $49 million Hutchinson is getting paid, Hutchinson's deal becomes entirely guaranteed and our whole salary cap management is thrown outta whack.

Needless to say, nothing will get done til the end of the 2006 season. As has been mentioned before, when this coming season ends, the Vikings will be free to sign McKinnie to a contract that he expects, and based on the salary for a franchise left-tackle (which let's not forget McKinnie is) is higher than 7 years and $49 million (see Walter Jones and Orlando Pace, not that I think McKinnie deserves that kinda money, but that's what he'll want), the Vikes will have the freedom to negotiate around that figure without having to guarantee Hutchinson's entire contract.

So let's not worry about this til next year, yeah?

NodakPaul
06-06-2006, 11:37 PM
"Benet" wrote:

Oh come on Benet, the off season is boring... what else do we have to worry about? :wink:

ItalianStallion
06-07-2006, 01:11 AM
The fact of the matter is we are talking about a player that has been consistent in one of his four seasons here, and who has made zero probowls and will likely be asking for Top 5 tackle money.

Sorry that doesn't add up.

twill
06-07-2006, 02:32 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

The fact of the matter is we are talking about a player that has been consistent in one of his four seasons here, and who has made zero probowls and will likely be asking for Top 5 tackle money.

very true. but i also dont want to let him go

PurplePeopleEaters89
06-07-2006, 02:38 AM
"twill" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

very true. but i also dont want to let him go

exactly!! I wouldn't just let him go because he hasn't made a Probowl!! Look at Pat Williams!! he did awesome last year for us, but he didn't make the Probowl!! I would still give him top 5 money!! OR Koren Robinson, he made it to the Probowl, but does he deserve top 5 money!! There is alot of things that go into deciding if he deserves more money!! I would say wait this year, if he has a good year then give him the money he deserves!!! :cool:

Purple Floyd
06-07-2006, 04:42 AM
If our coaching staff is doing it's job, we will not only be developing him into a more complete player but also be developing someone to step in and replace him if he decides to leave.

Benet
06-07-2006, 11:45 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Benet" wrote:

Oh come on Benet, the off season is boring... what else do we have to worry about? :wink:

Good point.. Oh well, I tried! :razz:

And to Stallion's point: I agree, but if McKinnie can have another consistent season then he will be in line to demand a lot of money, if only by virtue of the fact that he plays Left-Tackle which has become a premier position as of late.

As has been said around the boards, having Hutchinson, Birk, and Tony Richardson blocking will make him look that much better on the left side. And it wouldn't surprise me if, due to the higher profile of the Vikings O-Line thanks to Hutchinson's massive contract and Matt Birk's recovery, we saw McKinnie, Hutchinson, and Birk in the NFC Pro-Bowl Squad come next February. (McKinnie would probably make the stand-by list, but he'll get in there all the same).

Zeus
06-07-2006, 03:05 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

exactly!! I wouldn't just let him go because he hasn't made a Probowl!! Look at Pat Williams!! he did awesome last year for us, but he didn't make the Probowl!! I would still give him top 5 money!!

You don't give "top 5 money" to 33-year-old (34 by the end of the season) 350+ DTs. No matter how well they played.

And I'm a HUGE Pat Williams fan - I wanted to buy his jersey last year and I bought it this year the day after they went on sale.

But being a fan and doing what you should do contract-wise for the sake of the TEAM are very very very different things.

I am a Vikings fan FIRST and a fan of any individual Viking second. If the long-term money future of the Vikes depends upon nickle and diming certain players, then so be it.

As for McKinnie - he also doesn't deserve top5 tackle money....yet. If Chester runs for 1800 yards with 1500 of them coming while running to the left and Bryant only gives up a couple of sacks all season, then it's time to give him the big $$$. Because that's what Walter Jones and Jonathan Ogden do every year.

=Z=

NodakPaul
06-07-2006, 03:36 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

It becomes part of the on going struggle between paying a player based on their previous play, or paying a player based on how you expect them to perform in the future. There are a lot of people in this forum who would like to pay a player only his demonstrated worth, and not bank on potential. That is a very safe, conservative mindset, because it will prevent you from overpaying players who never live up to expectations. However, you stand a very good chance of underpaying future stars, and losing them to teams who are willing to take more of a chance.

McKinnie is is poised to start performing at a Top 5 level. He did play very well last season, although that could be attributed to the general suckiness of the rest of the line too (why try to run through McKinnie when you can walk all over the rest of the line at will). Flanked by Hutch and Birk, he will likely have the best year so far in his career.

Zeus
06-07-2006, 03:45 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

McKinnie is is poised to start performing at a Top 5 level. He did play very well last season, although that could be attributed to the general suckiness of the rest of the line too (why try to run through McKinnie when you can walk all over the rest of the line at will). Flanked by Hutch and Birk, he will likely have the best year so far in his career.

Hutch will be flanked by McKinnie and Birk - he's the guard! :grin:

But I agree - the left side of our line should be monstrous.

=Z=

NodakPaul
06-07-2006, 04:22 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"NodakPaul" wrote:

Hutch will be flanked by McKinnie and Birk - he's the guard! :grin:

But I agree - the left side of our line should be monstrous.

=Z=

LOL. That's what I get for trying to think too early in the morning. Next I'll be calling BJ a running back... :grin:

I meant to say lined up along side Hutch and Birk... :oops:

V-Unit
06-07-2006, 06:53 PM
I have nothing against Mckinnie, but he is only being hyped because he was the only solid part of a horrible OL from last year. Hopefully playing beside Birk and Hutch will make him even better, but as the Stallion said, his bad years outnumber his good ones. I would only want to keep him because good OLs are lines that have played together for many years. Otherwise I see him as just another piece of the puzzle, and our 3rd best OL.

PackSux!
06-08-2006, 01:59 AM
"Benet" wrote:

The Vikes can only agree a contract with McKinnie in principle; the moment it gets signed and it's above the $49 million Hutchinson is getting paid, Hutchinson's deal becomes entirely guaranteed and our whole salary cap management is thrown outta whack.

Needless to say, nothing will get done til the end of the 2006 season. As has been mentioned before, when this coming season ends, the Vikings will be free to sign McKinnie to a contract that he expects, and based on the salary for a franchise left-tackle (which let's not forget McKinnie is) is higher than 7 years and $49 million (see Walter Jones and Orlando Pace, not that I think McKinnie deserves that kinda money, but that's what he'll want), the Vikes will have the freedom to negotiate around that figure without having to guarantee Hutchinson's entire contract.

Besides that he will tagged with the Franchise Tag if he doesnt like the Vikes offer and wants to test the FA market. I Think the franchise tag will be used because we all seen what happened when hutch didnt get the franchise tag. Another team will be very interested in mcKinney next year, you can bet on that.