View Full Version : Williamson Progressing well

whackthepack
06-03-2006, 02:02 AM
http://www.startribune.com/510/story/470248.html

VIKE060306.OL
Last update: June 02, 2006 – 4:29 PM

Vikings' Williamson progressing well
Mark Craig, Star Tribune

Receiver Troy Williamson, who is recovering from surgery last month to remove an abscess from his left hip, met with a doctor Friday in South Carolina and is progressing well, according to Vikings coach Brad Childress.
"There is an outside chance that maybe he gets back for a little bit of that last minicamp," said Childress, referring to a voluntary camp June 19-21.

Williamson, the seventh overall draft pick in 2005, will meet with his doctor again in two weeks.

Meanwhile, Dr. James Andrews surgically repaired fullback Joey Goodspeed's torn anterior cruciate ligament on Thursday. Goodspeed is expected to miss the 2006 season.

Hosack the handyman

Former Gophers receiver and 2006 All-NFL Europe selection Aaron Hosack has been gobbling up passes during this week's Organized Team Activities (OTAs).

"[Hosack] has great hand-eye coordination," Childress said. "Obviously, he's a bigger target [6-5, 210], which quarterbacks love. He kind of vacuums up the football. As my old stats guy used to say, receivers by definition should receive, and he does a good job of doing that."

Greenway update

NFL teams get 14 of these OTAs. The Vikings started theirs on Tuesday and will wrap up June 22. There were 45 rookies and selected veterans participating on Friday, the only day the Vikings have opened an OTA to the media.

Running back Chester Taylor and right tackle Marcus Johnson were the only projected veteran starters who attended Friday's OTA. Rookie second round draft pick Tarvaris Jackson was the only quarterback on the field.

Jackson probably throws the ball as hard as any quarterback in the league. Of course, he throws it really hard to the wrong side sometimes. One of his lasers was intercepted Friday by rookie first round draft pick Chad Greenway, the projected starter at weak-side linebacker. Greenway showed good quickness just to get his hands up in time to snag the ball about 5 yards over the line of scrimmage.

"He did a good job coming off the back side," Childress said. "He's playing faster."

Etc.

• More veterans are expected to participate in OTAs beginning Monday. Asked how many he expects, Childress said, "All of them."

• Weird Sight of the Day: Receiver Billy McMullen wearing No. 84. He's the first Viking to wear it since Randy Moss.

• Weird Sight of the Day II: Rookie receiver Jason Carter wearing No. 11, Daunte Culpepper's old number.

©2006 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

Ltrey33
06-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Let's hope he makes a quick and healthy recovery. We don't want our new star receiver being laid up!

snowinapril
06-03-2006, 02:59 AM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

Let's hope he makes a quick and healthy recovery. We don't want our new star receiver being laid up!

Let's hope that this isn't a constant thing.

This is a condition from his burns received as a young child?????

singersp
06-03-2006, 03:09 AM
Jackson probably throws the ball as hard as any quarterback in the league. Of course, he throws it really hard to the wrong side sometimes

:shock: I just had a Spurgeon Wynn flashback when I read that!

DaunteHOF
06-03-2006, 03:24 AM
TJ will get his act together, he got a cannon for an arm

bigdaddy72_1
06-03-2006, 05:28 AM
I think that once Williamson gets back on the field what he is gonna need, to make sure he doesn't become one of those receivers with constant nagging injuries, are some subtle kicks in the butt to get him going again. Our coaching staff seems like they have what it takes to instill a tough attitude.

DarrinNelsonguy
06-03-2006, 05:32 AM
I think Williamson will become a solid contributor on a weekly basis this season.

thanatoschristou
06-03-2006, 05:55 AM
I agree. Williamson will be a beast with some time. WR never really contribute their first year.

PurplePeopleEaters89
06-03-2006, 05:58 AM
I like that Chad Greenway is making quick plays out there!! I could care less if TJ is throwing poorly right now, he isn't going to be starting this year!!!

twill
06-03-2006, 06:05 AM
Well you know how early he TJ will start (knock on wood) cuz of injuries.. but its nice to see chad nice and quick.. and i really see a big season comin from Twill.. He should be starting since Burly left, so that will get him alot more touches. last year when he was on the field, i just saw sumthin in him, he has that big play sense.

ZDoy379
06-03-2006, 03:53 PM
i remember that one game i saw on ESPN on christmas night. the pass he caught in the middle of the field like 10 yards away from the line of scrimmage, he ran like 30 yards after that. hes so fast he just never got any receptions. if he did hed be sick and he will this year, def.

Lotza
06-03-2006, 04:49 PM
we'll see.

VikesfaninWis
06-03-2006, 04:59 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Jackson probably throws the ball as hard as any quarterback in the league. Of course, he throws it really hard to the wrong side sometimes

:shock: I just had a Spurgeon Wynn flashback when I read that!

Can anyone really be that overrated, and that bad? :roll:

digital420
06-03-2006, 08:49 PM
well, i've said it before i'll say it again..

it's gonna be fun to watch T.j toss bullets to T.w!!!!
our TnT combo!!!

DiGiTaL

cajunvike
06-06-2006, 10:16 PM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

You should consider changing your screen name to TarvarisHOF...just a thought! :grin:

Ltrey33
06-06-2006, 10:26 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"DaunteHOF" wrote:

You should consider changing your screen name to TarvarisHOF...just a thought! :grin:

:lol:

Jeff George had a cannon for an arm too, remember. :roll:

ItalianStallion
06-06-2006, 10:31 PM
They should retire Moss' number, he is a HOFer who did so much for the Vikings. If not they should just avoid giving it to anyone for the time being.

Vikes_King
06-07-2006, 07:32 AM
they already gave it to someone =) and, moss is an amazing reciever, but didnt actually do that much for the team (besides make it fun to watch), love the guy, but he didnt do near enough to deserve a number retired in his honor

PurplePeopleEaters89
06-07-2006, 07:37 AM
"twill" wrote:

Well you know how early he TJ will start (knock on wood) cuz of injuries.. but its nice to see chad nice and quick.. and i really see a big season comin from Twill.. He should be starting since Burly left, so that will get him alot more touches. last year when he was on the field, i just saw sumthin in him, he has that big play sense.

I don't think he will start, i think it will be K-rob at #1 receiver and maybe he can beat out Travis Taylor for the #2 spot but i think that will have to be proven in Training camp!! Brad Childress really likes him so it should be a good battle during Training camp!!!

thetrenches68OL
06-07-2006, 07:59 AM
If we have K.Rob at #1 and Williamson at #2 that could be deadly because they are both burners then marcus robinson at #3 (good redzone WR)

ZDoy379
06-07-2006, 09:28 PM
#1-Koren Robinson
#2-Troy Williamson
#3-Travis Taylor
#4-Marcus Robinson
#5-Billy McMullen

#3 and #4 are sketchy between Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson but Travis did better than Marcus last year so I put Travis at #3. I like Marcus more than Travis though.

vikenheel_zdl16
06-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Our rotation at WR will be

1. K-Rob
2. T. Taylor
3. Williamson
4. Robinson
5. McMullen

Vikes_King
06-07-2006, 11:03 PM
sadly yea, mcmullen will be #5 since he knows the WCO and childress has to prove he knew what he was doign when he traded for him, this is what i would like

1 K-Rob
2 Taylor
3 Williamson
4 Robinson
5 Hosak

sodaknick
06-07-2006, 11:27 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

sadly yea, mcmullen will be #5 since he knows the WCO and childress has to prove he knew what he was doign when he traded for him, this is what i would like

1 K-Rob
2 Taylor
3 Williamson
4 Robinson
5 Hosak

I'm with you on that line-up. I think Taylor will surprise some people this year.

tastywaves
06-08-2006, 12:15 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

1 K-Rob
2 Taylor
3 Williamson
4 Robinson
5 Hosak

If Childress thinks he has a better chance of winning games with Hosack vs. McMullen, Hosack will get the roster spot. McMullen probably has the edge as a known entity with Childress, so Hosack will probably have to prove more in these minicamps and pre-season. I don't think the size of McMullen's contract is large enough to warrant an automatic roster spot.

Good to hear Chad picked one off in practice. I wouldn't be surprised if he nabbed 3-4 during the regular season as this is a dimension of his game that I think he excels at (pass coverage). If Tavaris is throwing missiles, then its a good sign that Chad has some decent hands. Not so good for TJ :smile:

V-Unit
06-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Taylor over Williamson? I don't think so. Unless Taylor greatly exceeds expectations in camp, there will be no reason to start him over Williamson. Williamson is younger and still has untapped potential and I don't think Childress is going to pull a Tice. He is going to give Troy a chance to produce on an everyday basis. Taylor already had that chance and didn't do too well.

Taylor will see plenty of playing time, but Williamson will be the starter week 1.

cajunvike
06-08-2006, 12:44 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

1 K-Rob
2 Taylor
3 Williamson
4 Robinson
5 Hosak

What will MOST likely happen is that Hosack will be on the practice squad...but he will be groomed to take over for Robinson the following season...UNLESS the Vikes fear that some other team might try to steal him away. McMullen will be here for at least ONE season and he will get his chances to prove his worth or he will get cut.

singersp
06-08-2006, 01:02 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Taylor over Williamson? I don't think so. Unless Taylor greatly exceeds expectations in camp, there will be no reason to start him over Williamson. Williamson is younger and still has untapped potential and I don't think Childress is going to pull a Tice. He is going to give Troy a chance to produce on an everyday basis. Taylor already had that chance and didn't do too well.

Taylor will see plenty of playing time, but Williamson will be the starter week 1.

Williamsom might have the speed on the long ball, but Taylor has the better hands.

PackSux!
06-08-2006, 01:45 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

Williamsom might have the speed on the long ball, but Taylor has the better hands.

And not to mention that Troy didnt play near as good as Taylor last year, With Troy running wrong routes and dropping easy catches i dont see him starting over Taylor.

ThorSPL
06-08-2006, 02:53 AM
Can Hosack still make it on the practice squad or is he too old?

singersp
06-08-2006, 03:01 AM
"ThorSPL" wrote:

He was a rookie in 2004.

Warp
06-08-2006, 03:40 AM
I like hosack, i really hope we keep him. In the long run i see us cleaning up the WR spot a little, and having Hosack as a 4th or 5th option.

ultravikingfan
06-08-2006, 04:20 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"ThorSPL" wrote:

He was a rookie in 2004.

^ http://www.smilies-and-more.de/pics/smilies/laughing/016.gif

Ha haa!