PDA

View Full Version : One-on-One With Tony Richardson



singersp
06-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Tuesday, May 2, 2006

One-on-One With Tony Richardson

By Hanna Loberg

The term "good guy" is not heard or used as often as it should be in the National Football League. In the media, we hear more about athletes being arrested than athletes lending a hand in the community. Every athlete in the limelight makes the choice to be tagged the "good guy" or the "trouble maker."

Minnesota Vikings' newly-acquired veteran fullback Tony Richardson has made the commitment to continue to be one of the elite "good guys" in the league. Take a minute to step inside the mind of T-Rich and learn what makes him a "good guy."

Hanna Loberg: After moving to Minnesota from Kansas City after 11 years, what will become of your charity work in KC?

Tony Richardson: I will still be heavily involved with Kansas City, still sitting on the board of directors for the Boys and Girls Club. Pretty much everything I've had going in KC I'll keep going because KC has been so great to me. Basically, I'll try to do just as much in Minnesota. [The] Rich in Spirit Foundation will stay in Kansas City.

HL: What sparks you to give back to the community?

TR: To me, that's what it's all about. As a professional athlete, we sometimes judge by how many touchdowns were scored or how many Pro Bowls they played in. But at the end of the day, I think ultimately we are going to be judged by the number of people we touch. That's something my parents always taught me, you can never run out of good things to do to people.

HL: Who did you look up to?

TR: My Dad. But once in the league, Derrick Thomas, Rich Gannon, and Lamar Hunt.

HL: Since you're known as a "good guy" do you feel pressure to uphold that?

TR: I don't think it's pressure, I think you just live your life being the person you are. You're under the microscope, but at the end of the day, I realize that I'm far from being perfect and I make mistakes just like everyone else. If you just stay who you are and don't do anything out of character, then you shouldn't have any problem.

HL: Temptations in the NFL?

TR: In the league, it's really a kind of fantasy life. So much if given to you because of who you are. Anytime you're in a limelight position, people may try to take you down or get you down the wrong track. In any situation, I always ask, what could go wrong in this situation? Will it embarrass my family or the organization? That is what has helped me in situations.

HL: Favorite thing about being an athlete?

TR: An opportunity to bring entertainment to a city. When a team wins, a city prospers. A person can go to a game on a Sunday and if they're team wins, they can have a great Monday. But as an athlete, it just gives you a platform.

HL: What do you value the most?

TR: My family. First and foremost, my family.

HL: When you have free time?

TR: I'm the type of person who loves to stay around the house. For me, a good night at home, a good movie, and dinner. I'm a simple guy, sit around the house, read, and relax.

HL: Favorite movie?

TR: Everyone throws out Scarface. One of my favorite movies, believe it or not, is Pretty Woman.

HL: Best coach?

TR: Dick Vermeil.

HL: Favorite Food?

TR: Pasta.

HL: Favorite hobby?

TR: A lot of people don't know, but I collect wine.

HL: Chocolate or vanilla?

TR: Vanilla. I'm allergic to chocolate.

HL: One wish?

TR: A cure for world hunger.

HL: Favorite sport to watch?

TR: College basketball ... Duke.

One-on-One With Tony Richardson (http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2006/05/02/oneonone_with_tony_richardson.php)

NordicNed
06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Nice to see us bringing in more and more class act type players....

I'm looking forward to watching TR play for us this season.....

Zeus
06-02-2006, 02:19 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Nice to see us bringing in more and more class act type players....

I'm looking forward to watching TR play for us this season.....

Amen, Ned. He's a class act AND a punishing blocker!!

Behind McKinnie, Hutch, Birk and Richardson, Chester's gonna run for 1500!

=Z=

skum
06-02-2006, 03:34 PM
HL: Best coach?

TR: slick willy Vermeil.

HAHAHAHA :>

snowinapril
06-02-2006, 04:34 PM
The term "good guy" is not heard or used as often as it should be in the National Football League.


HL: One wish?

TR: A cure for world hunger.

HL: Favorite sport to watch?

TR: College basketball ... Duke

Just by these two comments alone, I can see he is a good guy.

He truly is a nice guy.

spunk_goblin
06-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah, great guy and a great player

seaniemck7
06-02-2006, 05:01 PM
"spunk_goblin" wrote:

Yeah, great guy and a great player

Yeah... except for the Duke part ;-)

NordicNed
06-02-2006, 05:07 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:


The term "good guy" is not heard or used as often as it should be in the National Football League.


HL: One wish?

TR: A cure for world hunger.

HL: Favorite sport to watch?

TR: College basketball ... Duke

Just by these two comments alone, I can see he is a good guy.

He truly is a nice guy.

Nice guy for sure, but the Duke part tells me he hasn't watched UCONN much..... :lol:

Ltrey33
06-02-2006, 05:08 PM
"seaniemck7" wrote:

"spunk_goblin" wrote:

Yeah, great guy and a great player

Yeah... except for the Duke part ;-)

ESPECIALLY the Duke part.

bigdaddy72_1
06-02-2006, 06:07 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

Nice to see us bringing in more and more class act type players....

I'm looking forward to watching TR play for us this season.....

Amen, Ned. He's a class act AND a punishing blocker!!

Behind McKinnie, Hutch, Birk and Richardson, Chester's gonna run for 1500!

=Z=

I think that besides Hutch, Richardson was are biggest FA signing, right allongside of Taylor.

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT OUR GROUND GAME!

ChiTownVike
06-02-2006, 06:12 PM
"skum" wrote:

HL: Best coach?

TR: slick willy Vermeil.

HAHAHAHA :>

:sign5:

I am really happy to hear about Richardson. No one really noticed we signed him, but everyone will come September

twill
06-02-2006, 06:30 PM
this guy is nasty, hes gonna make room for chester to get around.. it just confuses me why they did pick him up when they had k-sauce.

viks_fan21
06-02-2006, 06:56 PM
One day Tony Richardson will be known as the guy who blocked for Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, AND Chestor Taylor in a two-year span.

twill
06-02-2006, 07:19 PM
"viks_fan21" wrote:

One day Tony Richardson will be known as the guy who blocked for Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, AND Chestor Taylor in a two-year span.

lol.. ur right, but i hope your not tryin to compare chester against those RB's

Prophet
06-02-2006, 07:22 PM
"twill" wrote:

"viks_fan21" wrote:

One day Tony Richardson will be known as the guy who blocked for Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, AND Chestor Taylor in a two-year span.

lol.. ur right, but i hope your not tryin to compare chester against those RB's

Why not? Chester could have a great year soon. Larry Johnson was known as 'huggies' a few years ago. Taylor could come one strong too, and he doesn't have to take off the diapers to run the ball. Could happen, nobody knows, I like what I saw of Chester when he did get a chance to play.

twill
06-02-2006, 07:42 PM
look i hate to burst your bubbles guys, but theres no way that chester is gonna have more than 15 total TDs (rushing and receiving) let alone than priests and larry johnsons 25+ just rushing. mainly due to their high powered offense.

im a die hard viking fan, but im just being practical guys, sorry!

Prophet
06-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Who cares how many TDs he has. I don't. Fantasy football is another story. He's an integral part of the picture, I would take him over any of the backs we've had in recent years. If Childress runs the WCO like he claims he will there won't be any Holmesesque backs regardless of who the RB is. They need a durable and dependable back, and Chester fits the bill.

RussianNorman
06-02-2006, 08:56 PM
I’m living about 10 000 km from Metrodome; I can’t watch every game my favorite team and may be I don’t understand something, but I want to ask: Why everybody talk only about Chester, and no one word about Mewelde Moore?

In those games when I saw Mewelde as starter, he was great, almost had 100+ yards per game and Vikings always won.

nextvikingsstar
06-02-2006, 09:07 PM
i promise you taylor will have 15 touchdowns,baring injury.....

boognish
06-02-2006, 09:49 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"twill" wrote:

"viks_fan21" wrote:

One day Tony Richardson will be known as the guy who blocked for Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, AND Chestor Taylor in a two-year span.

lol.. ur right, but i hope your not tryin to compare chester against those RB's

Why not? Chester could have a great year soon. Larry Johnson was known as 'huggies' a few years ago. Taylor could come one strong too, and he doesn't have to take off the diapers to run the ball. Could happen, nobody knows, I like what I saw of Chester when he did get a chance to play.

Exactly...it wasn't that many years ago people were wondering who this career backup RB in Baltimore (Priest) was and how good he could be if he had the chance to start in the NFL; I think Terry Allen was their starter back then. When he got a chance in KC to carry the load, he became a pro-bowler.

Chester comes from the same system as Priest and is a little bit bigger than him too. I expect us to see great things from him this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see 1,500 yards and 15 TD's from him this year.

FuadFan
06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
"twill" wrote:

this guy is nasty, hes gonna make room for chester to get around.. it just confuses me why they did pick him up when they had k-sauce.

We can put Jimmy K. on the field as well to further power through the left side or to help the right side of the line we will still see plenty of him this season.

Prophet
06-02-2006, 10:46 PM
"RussianNorman" wrote:

I’m living about 10 000 km from Metrodome; I can’t watch every game my favorite team and may be I don’t understand something, but I want to ask: Why everybody talk only about Chester, and no one word about Mewelde Moore?

In those games when I saw Mewelde as starter, he was great, almost had 100+ yards per game and Vikings always won.

Welcome to the site! Introduce yourself in the 'free beer' forum. Don't worry about your English, it's better then most of the native-English speakers on the site. :cool:

If you do a search on the site for 'Memo' or 'Mewelde Moore' or 'Moore' you'll find more threads about him then any sane person would want to read.

sodaknick
06-02-2006, 10:56 PM
"RussianNorman" wrote:

I’m living about 10 000 km from Metrodome; I can’t watch every game my favorite team and may be I don’t understand something, but I want to ask: Why everybody talk only about Chester, and no one word about Mewelde Moore?

In those games when I saw Mewelde as starter, he was great, almost had 100+ yards per game and Vikings always won.

Welcome, comrade! I'd throw out some russian, but my keyboard doesn't type syrillic. My grandmother immigrated from St. Petersburg in the twenties.

As for Mewelde, I completely agree with you. I think if he can stay healthy (and that's a big IF) he has the skills to be extremely effective in the west coast offense.

Prophet
06-06-2006, 10:29 AM
KFFL
Vikings | Gannon likes Richardson signing
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 19:13:46 -0700

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports former NFL QB Rich Gannon thinks the Minnesota Vikings did a wise thing by signing FB Tony Richardson. "I'll tell you what, Tony Richardson's a great (signing). He's physical, he's a beast," Gannon said. "The guy can still run, he's a strong guy, he's going to be great for what they want to do. More importantly, he's a quality character guy. He's going to be great for those guys in the locker room, he's great with the young players, he's got a great work ethic, and he's going to do a phenomenal job for that football team."