PDA

View Full Version : No Daunte, no Randy, now what?

singersp
05-31-2006, 03:08 AM
Vikings: No Daunte, no Randy, now what?

May 30, 2006

Questions, questions: All 32 NFL teams have them heading into the 2006 season. Today, we're addressing the Vikings' burning question:

What's in store for the "cleaned-house" offense?

The Vikings fans in the Twin Cities who bought Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss jerseys thought they were making good long-term investments. A few heated conversations, misdemeanors and ill-fated boat trips later, the team abandoned its two biggest names to save a sinking ship.

So now that Minnesota's powers who be think the Vikings have a sharper image, how will the offense come into focus without Daunte or Randy? It's a good thing owner Zygi Wilf had some money to spend on his dome-improvement project.

It started with the change at coach to Brad Childress, one of the game's brightest offensive minds. Former Ravens backup back Chester Taylor was quickly signed and was just as quickly anointed the starter, ending a long stretch of a "committee" approach.

Then came the biggest splash, breaking the bank for the game's top guard, former Seahawk Steve Hutchinson, which in a sense also cost the team wide receiver Nate Burleson, who was signed by Seattle in a retaliation move.

Hutchinson blocked Shaun Alexander's way to MVP last season, and he will be key in springing Taylor this season. Taylor can run hard between the tackles, catch passes, make plays in the open field and score in the red zone -- all things the Vikings used to need many backs to do.

Look for them to run several play to Hutchinson's area, which will be flanked nicely by massive left tackle Bryant McKinnie and center Matt Birk, whose return from injury is vital to the line's cohesiveness.

OK, now let's get to life after Culpepper at quarterback, two years removed from Moss at wide receiver. Culpepper's Vikes' tenure really ended with his season-ending knee injury last season, so Brad Johnson has settled into the job again after nine straight starts.

Johnson threw TD passes in only five of those starts, but more importantly, he went 7-2 to nearly push the team into the playoffs. Johnson always has been more substance than style and is a smart, efficient leader. Whether his 37-year-old, battered body can hold up is a big question, especially behind a line that's better built for run blocking.

As for the wide receivers, Troy Williamson and Koren Robinson have potential to provide a 1-2 punch as speedy downfield threats, but when you throw them into the mix with Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson and the tight ends, it's a not a unit that inspires fear in opponents.

So, expect this team to perform much like '05 Raiders or '05 Browns, with a lot of offense consistently churning through its running back, but there won't be enough big plays from the passing game or defense to get it to .500.

For the first critical look at the 2006 Minnesota Vikings, go to the Vikings Offseason Support Group in Pro Football War Room.

No Daunte, no Randy, now what? (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=96336)

Vikes_King
05-31-2006, 03:12 AM
wont get past .500 because of passing game or defense???

k-rob, marcus robinson, travis taylor & t-will?

and our defense.......? plz

ChiTownVike
05-31-2006, 03:13 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings No Daunte, no Randy, now what?

May 30, 2006

Questions, questions All 32 NFL teams have them heading into the 2006 season. Today, we're addressing the Vikings' burning question

What's in store for the "cleaned-house" offense?

The Vikings fans in the Twin Cities who bought Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss jerseys thought they were making good long-term investments. A few heated conversations, misdemeanors and ill-fated boat trips later, the team abandoned its two biggest names to save a sinking ship.

So now that Minnesota's powers who be think the Vikings have a sharper image, how will the offense come into focus without Daunte or Randy? It's a good thing owner Zygi Wilf had some money to spend on his dome-improvement project.

It started with the change at coach to Brad Childress, one of the game's brightest offensive minds. Former Ravens backup back Chester Taylor was quickly signed and was just as quickly anointed the starter, ending a long stretch of a "committee" approach.

Then came the biggest splash, breaking the bank for the game's top guard, former Seahawk Steve Hutchinson, which in a sense also cost the team wide receiver Nate Burleson, who was signed by Seattle in a retaliation move.

Hutchinson blocked Shaun Alexander's way to MVP last season, and he will be key in springing Taylor this season. Taylor can run hard between the tackles, catch passes, make plays in the open field and score in the red zone -- all things the Vikings used to need many backs to do.

Look for them to run several play to Hutchinson's area, which will be flanked nicely by massive left tackle Bryant McKinnie and center Matt Birk, whose return from injury is vital to the line's cohesiveness.

OK, now let's get to life after Culpepper at quarterback, two years removed from Moss at wide receiver. Culpepper's Vikes' tenure really ended with his season-ending knee injury last season, so Brad Johnson has settled into the job again after nine straight starts.

Johnson threw TD passes in only five of those starts, but more importantly, he went 7-2 to nearly push the team into the playoffs. Johnson always has been more substance than style and is a smart, efficient leader. Whether his 37-year-old, battered body can hold up is a big question, especially behind a line that's better built for run blocking.

As for the wide receivers, Troy Williamson and Koren Robinson have potential to provide a 1-2 punch as speedy downfield threats, but when you throw them into the mix with Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson and the tight ends, it's a not a unit that inspires fear in opponents.

So, expect this team to perform much like '05 Raiders or '05 Browns, with a lot of offense consistently churning through its running back, but there won't be enough big plays from the passing game or defense to get it to .500.

For the first critical look at the 2006 Minnesota Vikings, go to the Vikings Offseason Support Group in Pro Football War Room.

No Daunte, no Randy, now what? (http//www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=96336)Troy Williamson, I think, will have a HUGE year this year. I dunno know about you guys, but I think our defense is darn good and we have just enought offense to be an above .5000 team

Wiggles67
05-31-2006, 03:18 AM
.500 this year and I will be happy with all the changes that have taken place this off season I think that would be a heck of a feat for this franchise

2beersTommy
05-31-2006, 03:20 AM
No Daunte, No Randy..No Problem(s)

triedandtruevikesfan
05-31-2006, 03:33 AM
What a bunch of crap. We were above .500 last year and most of that was with Brad leading the team. We survived year 1 without Moss and year 1/2 without D.C. Maybe we're not superbowl bound THIS year, but we will survive WITH a winning record!

jaymz7
05-31-2006, 03:34 AM
In the this era when teams are going from 3 wins one year to a deep playoff charge or superbowl the next how can anyone predict what a team will do.

The Vikes were predicted as a superbowl continder last year, but nobody could have guessed they would play as bad as they did at the start or the injuries they would have.

I am a bit of a realist and I can see they Vikes finishing .500, but I also know they could get a few breaks and suprise a few teams and finish the season with 10 or 11 wins. You never no which team is going to have an off game or sustain a major injury. Thats why they play all the games.

I am just excited to see the Vikes making positive changes to the whole team. I will enjoy watching the new guys as well as the returning players adjust to the new offense and defense schemes and hope they are the next team to go from worst to first.

Anything could happen.

Go Vikes!

Ltrey33
05-31-2006, 03:40 AM
"Wiggles67" wrote:

.500 this year and I will be happy with all the changes that have taken place this off season I think that would be a heck of a feat for this franchise

I think 8-8 is the benchmark this year. 8-8 is a successful season...with anything above that being impressive and anything below being disappointing.

COJOMAY
05-31-2006, 03:55 AM
Most of you are too young to remember old-time Big 10 Football. It used to be called "4 Yards And A Cloud Of Dust." That's because everything was predicated on the running game and if they averaged 4 yards per play they could keep the ball moving. That kinda the way I see the Vikings this year. Oh ya, you're gonna see some long passes but it's gonna be a running game first with some dinks and dunks thrown in to keep the defense on their tows. It may not be the most exciting football in the world to watch, but if it works it will win a LOT of games.

singersp
05-31-2006, 03:58 AM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"Wiggles67" wrote:

I think 8-8 is the benchmark this year. 8-8 is a successful season...with anything above that being impressive and anything below being disappointing.

IMO, I don't think 8-8 is a successful season. You play to win, no excuses.

The assistant coaches are much better than the malcontents Tice had to work with, the O-line has improved wih Hutch & Birk is back.

Sharper, Smoot & Winfield are still in the backfield. We pretty much the same corp of recievers with K-Rob being a starter.

We have a better kicker (supposedly) & people like Chester Taylor more than Bennett.

So there is absolutely no reason we shouldn't finish better than last year.

8-8 would be a travisty.

VikesfaninWis
05-31-2006, 04:17 AM
Whether his 37-year-old, battered body can hold up is a big question, especially behind a line that's better built for run blocking.

but there won't be enough big plays from the passing game or defense to get it to .500.

Where do these people come up with this crap?

Johnson's body is not battered.. He is going to be 38 when the season starts, and younger QB's like Culpepper, Mcnabb, Mcnair, Bulger, Brees, and Griese have all had much more serious injuries in their careers then Johnson has. I'm sick of these reporters saying that BJ doesn't have what it takes. If memory serves me correct, BJ has more SB rings then those guys combined.. Yes 1, and thats all it takes.

Also, we were without Moss and Culpepper last season, and we finished 1 game better then we did when we had both of them in the lineup the previous season. We finished above .500 last year with alot of new players, we will for sure finish as good if not better then we did last season. Our O-Line has improved tremendously, our running game has gotten better, and our Defense has improved.. These people are just writing stories to hear themselves talk.. They need to get their heads out of their a$$e$ and figure out the truth before rambling off at the mouth..

gpless05
05-31-2006, 04:24 AM
i think all you can do is move on....whats done is done. We have lost plenty of people but have always been able to recover after each one.

BadlandsVikings
05-31-2006, 04:42 AM
No Daunte, no Randy, now what? Get over them and deal with all the new peronnel and players and hope we don't go 3-13.

Eyedea
05-31-2006, 04:59 AM
I agree with him. We really don't have a go-to guy. That could have its advantages (no complaining if he doesnt get the ball), but has more negitives. Who do we go to when its third in five late in the forth? No one on our offense scares a defesense. We just solid or average in nearly every postion on offensive.

Brad Johnson isn't going to lose anygames, but he isn't going to win any games by himself, like culpepper could. Look what he had when he was successful. In minnesota: carter, robert smith, and a good defense. In Tampa: a fantastic defense. He is good at managing games and giving the good players chances to win games by not turning the ball over. Last year, during the 7-2 strech, the defense forced over 2.5 turnovers a game. The defensive made the plays while Johnson didn't lose it. he is not going to win very many games alone, which we probably need right now from the quarterback.

I think we will hover around the .500 mark like we did the past 2 years.

singersp
05-31-2006, 05:09 AM
So the people who think we will be around .500, must think we made no improvements to the team this year or are actually worse than we were a year ago (9-7)

I say bullshit.

ultravikingfan
05-31-2006, 05:27 AM
No Daunte, no Randy...who gives a crap?

Not me.

VikingKen
05-31-2006, 06:19 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

No Daunte, no Randy...who gives a crap?

Randy was a selfish phenom with huge potential that deserves to be on the ego heavy Raiders. Daunte was dumb and emotionally fragile. IMHO he was treated with kid gloves by Tice and he knew that wasn't going to happen with Brad Childress so he bailed. It seemed like every game there was an issue or an excuse regarding Tice, Daunte and Moss.

IMHO what the modern day purple needs is less ego and more old school "Purple People Eaters" era attitude. It wasn't that long ago teams were afraid to play the purple. Just look at the Vikings in the HOF. Tarkenton, Page, Eller, Krause all had the ability to strike fear into opposing coaches and players. 98 had that same vibe. Robert Smith, Randall Cunningham, Randall McDaniel, John Randle and Cris Carter.
Opposing coaches and players just didn't want to play the vikings in 98.

So what flavor is 2006 going to bring us? Gimme some Old School

thetrenches68OL
05-31-2006, 06:26 AM
2 good players are gone but also 2 people that didnt want to play for the vikes

PackSux!
05-31-2006, 06:38 AM
14-2. Mark my words. Oh yeah and undefeated after the regular season.

PurplePeopleEaters89
05-31-2006, 07:05 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

wont get past .500 because of passing game or defense???

k-rob, marcus robinson, travis taylor & t-will?

and our defense.......? plz

LOL!!! How will we not get past .500!?!? Who did we lose that helped us last season!! I think this dude is forgetting the fact that Daunte sucked it up last season!!! We added the best OG in the NFL, we added a good RB, fixed our Kicking problem, and i think, i hope, we have a good LB core!! If everybody can come in and learn this playbook (offense/defense) then we have a really good chance and being really good this season!!!

bfld
05-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Definitely better than .500. There's better coaching talent and more reliable (if not better) field talent and the rest of the division is not that much improved.

Jarlvik2006
05-31-2006, 02:00 PM
If everyone picks up the new systems, developes a "team first" attitude, and gels as a unit, I don't see the Vikings being any worse than 10-6. That being said, everyone in the NFC North (even the Packers) have done something to improve. The NFC East has improved also. I look forward to one of the more interesting and exciting seasons in recent memory.
Screw the guys who didn't want to be here, regardless of talent. They're not coming back. Neither is the '98 team. These are they guys we've got and I'm ready for the first game right now. Bring it on! Let's what these "pundits" have to say once the Vikings start winning.

singersp
05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
"thetrenches68OL" wrote:

Um, we traded Randy, he did not want to leave MN. He wanted to finish his career here.

Top_Speed
05-31-2006, 02:37 PM
"bfld" wrote:

Definitely better than .500. There's better coaching talent and more reliable (if not better) field talent and the rest of the division is not that much improved.

This year will be about the "CC" (and I don't mean Chris Carter either)

Coaching and Chemistry.
Both are unproven with this group. Only time will tell but I think if they can get off on a good foot the momentum will build through the year.

Prophet
05-31-2006, 02:59 PM
"Top_Speed" wrote:

This year will be about the "CC" (and I don't mean Chris Carter either)

Coaching and Chemistry.
Both are unproven with this group. Only time will tell but I think if they can get off on a good foot the momentum will build through the year.

Coaching and chemistry was proven in the last group. Neither existed. The worse case scenario is that the Vikings have what they already had, shitty chemistry and shitty coaching. My prediction is that both will improve, even with a minor improvement in CC we will see the results on the field.

spunk_goblin
05-31-2006, 03:00 PM
This is crap. Whilst we don't have as good an O as we did under Denny Green (but then no other team in the history of football did...and that is a FACT), we have something we haven't had for a long long time - a great D, and that alone will win you a few games a year

UndisputedVike
05-31-2006, 03:01 PM
I find it funny how they all say were doomed without them but the fact of the matter is what have they done for us lately? We never went anywhere with those two we were never going anywhere with those two.

It's over and I personally am glad, we got a sleeper in the second round at QB who if all goes well in a few years will be an All-Pro QB better than McNabb and Culpepper, but for now Brad will be fine. I'm pretty happy about our situation I think we have a real shot to make some real runs at a Superbowl.

kjdaddy
05-31-2006, 03:07 PM
No Nate, No Corey.

kjdaddy
05-31-2006, 03:10 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"thetrenches68OL" wrote:

Um, we traded Randy, he did not want to leave MN. He wanted to finish his career here.

One of these guys only wanted to play about 50% of the time. I loved him, but he killed me.

PurplePeopleEaters
05-31-2006, 03:28 PM
"Eyedea" wrote:

I agree with him. We really don't have a go-to guy. That could have its advantages (no complaining if he doesnt get the ball), but has more negitives. Who do we go to when its third in five late in the forth? No one on our offense scares a defesense. We just solid or average in nearly every postion on offensive.

Brad Johnson isn't going to lose anygames, but he isn't going to win any games by himself, like culpepper could. Look what he had when he was successful. In minnesota: carter, robert smith, and a good defense. In Tampa: a fantastic defense. He is good at managing games and giving the good players chances to win games by not turning the ball over. Last year, during the 7-2 strech, the defense forced over 2.5 turnovers a game. The defensive made the plays while Johnson didn't lose it. he is not going to win very many games alone, which we probably need right now from the quarterback.

You play as a team, you win as a team. Right now we have a solid team mentality. We may not have any incredible offensive players apart from the o-lineman, but we still do not have any holes on the offense.

Last time I checked, culpepper was losing games for us by himself. Did you see the start we had last season? He was pathetic...

And your bolded comment is why we will not hover around .500 again. Because Johnson rarely makes mistakes. Defense wins championships and it's not impossible to force 2 turnovers a game on defense. If our defense plays as good as it was near the end of the season last year and Brad plays mistake free football as usual, we will be playoff bound.

PurplePeopleEaters
05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
"UndisputedVike" wrote:

I find it funny how they all say were doomed without them but the fact of the matter is what have they done for us lately? We never went anywhere with those two we were never going anywhere with those two.

It's over and I personally am glad, we got a sleeper in the second round at QB who if all goes well in a few years will be an All-Pro QB better than McNabb and Culpepper, but for now Brad will be fine. I'm pretty happy about our situation I think we have a real shot to make some real runs at a Superbowl.

That's what I always wonder. They make it seem like Daunte and Randy won multiple super bowls in their time in Minnesota. I don't think either of them would have won superbowls in minnesota either.

I'm glad about tarvaris too but that's a pretty lofty prediction.... :lol:

UndisputedVike
05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Lofty indeed but as I said if all goes well he has all the workings to be one. Plus a guy can dream can't he :twisted:

Eyedea
05-31-2006, 04:20 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

"Eyedea" wrote:

You play as a team, you win as a team. Right now we have a solid team mentality. We may not have any incredible offensive players apart from the o-lineman, but we still do not have any holes on the offense.

Last time I checked, culpepper was losing games for us by himself. Did you see the start we had last season? He was pathetic...

And your bolded comment is why we will not hover around .500 again. Because Johnson rarely makes mistakes. Defense wins championships and it's not impossible to force 2 turnovers a game on defense. If our defense plays as good as it was near the end of the season last year and Brad plays mistake free football as usual, we will be playoff bound.

I think thats a big if.

I think the losses of moss and culpepper have been offset by other moves in teh past two years. However, that doesn't mean we will be much better than .500. In the past two years we have been 17-15, and I don't see us being much better than those Viking teams.

boognish
05-31-2006, 04:27 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Most of you are too young to remember old-time Big 10 Football. It used to be called "4 Yards And A Cloud Of Dust." That's because everything was predicated on the running game and if they averaged 4 yards per play they could keep the ball moving. That kinda the way I see the Vikings this year. Oh ya, you're gonna see some long passes but it's gonna be a running game first with some dinks and dunks thrown in to keep the defense on their tows. It may not be the most exciting football in the world to watch, but if it works it will win a LOT of games.

You're so right. Instead of Denny's traveling circus being in town, with its high flying offense, this team seems to be morphing into a good, old-fashioned, black-n-blue division power running team and I can't wait to see it on the field. Play solid defense, exert your will early and often in the game by running it right down their throats and you can run the other, exhausted team over in the fourth quarter.

I'm excited...real, solid football has returned to MN!!

JDogg926
05-31-2006, 04:40 PM
As long as the Vikings win, it's exciting football to watch, whether it's 3-0, 49-45, or 27-13, who cares, as long as we win.

PurplePeopleEaters
05-31-2006, 05:10 PM
"Eyedea" wrote:

"Eyedea" wrote:

I think thats a big if.

I think the losses of moss and culpepper have been offset by other moves in teh past two years. However, that doesn't mean we will be much better than .500. In the past two years we have been 17-15, and I don't see us being much better than those Viking teams.

What makes you think it won't play as well? Tank Williams is better than Corey Chavous (especially in the cover 2). Sam Cowart and Keith Newman may have been good but no better than what we have now. The biggest difference is Mike Tomlin, perhaps a real defensive coordinator rather than that idiot Ted Cotrell. That alone will make our defense loads better.. Not having the corenerbacks play 20 yards off the reciever, not having Fred Smoot stuck on Steve Smith in single coverage...

If you look at the moves we have made this year to upgrade our running game especially, I think we will be much better. We have successfully built a team around schemes, exactly what you need to do in the NFL today. We have a great defense for the Cover 2 and a perfect west coast offense. What more can you ask for?

Eyedea
05-31-2006, 05:29 PM

"Eyedea" wrote:

"Eyedea" wrote:

I think thats a big if.

What makes you think it won't play as well? Tank Williams is better than Corey Chavous (especially in the cover 2). Sam Cowart and Keith Newman may have been good but no better than what we have now. The biggest difference is Mike Tomlin, perhaps a real defensive coordinator rather than that idiot Ted Cotrell. That alone will make our defense loads better.. Not having the corenerbacks play 20 yards off the reciever, not having Fred Smoot stuck on Steve Smith in single coverage...

If you look at the moves we have made this year to upgrade our running game especially, I think we will be much better. We have successfully built a team around schemes, exactly what you need to do in the NFL today. We have a great defense for the Cover 2 and a perfect west coast offense. What more can you ask for?

Look who the defense played the last nine games: Harrington and the lions twice (needs no explination), the browns, 3rd string qb fritzpatrick and teh rams, then boller and the ravens, then the bears backups. As we all know those offenses are some of the worst.

FuadFan
05-31-2006, 06:08 PM
"Eyedea" wrote:

"Eyedea" wrote:

"Eyedea" wrote:

Brad Johnson isn't going to lose anygames, but he isn't going to win any games by himself, like culpepper could. Look what he had when he was successful. In minnesota carter, robert smith, and a good defense. In Tampa a fantastic defense. He is good at managing games and giving the good players chances to win games by not turning the ball over. Last year, during the 7-2 strech, the defense forced over 2.5 turnovers a game. The defensive made the plays while Johnson didn't lose it. he is not going to win very many games alone, which we probably need right now from the quarterback.

I think thats a big if.

Look who the defense played the last nine games Harrington and the lions twice (needs no explination), the browns, 3rd string qb fritzpatrick and teh rams, then boller and the ravens, then the bears backups. As we all know those offenses are some of the worst.Two years ago these same type of offenses were still able to score 20-30 points on us because we were that much worse.

JellyBean2144
06-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Daunte will be missed. And so will Randy, but get over it. I believe that we will win 60-70% of our games; 10-12 wins this year. I like our look and our attitude.