PDA

View Full Version : Rick Spielman to the Vikings???

burger13
05-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Saw a thread on finheaven.com (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=144062) that Rick Spielman (former Dolphins' GM) was going to work for the Vikings. Supposedly reported by Chris Spielman on his radio show on sports radio 1460.

If I were you guys, I would hope that it's not true, or if it is, that he will have very limited responsibilities (like running on the field to retrieve the kicking tee).

Prophet
05-30-2006, 07:30 PM
I agree. Spielman is a joke. I sure hope he doesn't wander up to Minnesota.

Property0f
05-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Yup its true..Hes our new VP of Player Personnel..

The Minnesota Vikings have named Rick Spielman as Vice President of Player Personnel. Spielman brings 15 seasons of NFL personnel experience with Detroit, Chicago, and Miami to the position.

"We are extremely excited to hire Rick as our Vice President of Player Personnel," said Vikings Owner/Chairman Zygi Wilf. "We are impressed with Rick's expertise, passion, character and work ethic."

His professional experience already has Spielman familiar with the NFC North as he spent his opening 10 years in the profession with Detroit (1990-96) and Chicago (1997-99) before spending five seasons in Miami (2000-04).

During his NFL tenure, Spielman has been a part of 3 divisional championships and 6 playoff teams.

The brother of former Detroit and Buffalo Pro Bowl LB Chris Spielman, Rick and his wife, Michelle, have adopted four children, are in the process of adopting two more, and are known for their generosity with children's charities. A native of Massillon, OH, Spielman was a LB at Southern Illinois University from 1983-86 and earned 1st-team All-Gateway Conference honors as a junior in 1985. He was a part of the Salukis' Division IAA national championship team in 1983 as a redshirt freshman. Spielman has a bachelor's degree from SIU and a master's from Ohio State.

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_RickSpielman53006.html

COJOMAY
05-30-2006, 08:54 PM
Is he taking Foley's place?
O Gads, the Fins board is having a blast with this one. Telling us the Vikes just made a worse decision than giving Culpepper to them.

cajunvike
05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
I would rather have hired CHRIS Spielman!!! :mad:

VikingKen
05-30-2006, 09:19 PM
A few personnel decisions made by Rick Spielman while with the Dolphins

Opting against drafting a young, speedy wide receiver Rick Spielman acquired an injury prone and behavior risk David Boston. Boston got hurt in the preseason and missed the entire year. David Boston now plays for Tampa Bay.

Traded defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, the Dolphins’s 2003 Most Valuable Player for less than fair market value (WR Marty Booker and a 2005 third round pick)

Replaced Adewale Ogunleye with Chidi Ahanotu, a player who ended up quitting the Dolphins mid season.

Instead of signing a solid veteran player to lead a veteran Miami Dolphin team with a limited window of opportunity to win, Rick Spielman overpaid for A.J. Feeley and then re-signed Jay Fiedler. Both are no longer with the Dolphins.

BadlandsVikings
05-30-2006, 09:20 PM
"VikingKen" wrote:

A few personnel decisions made by Rick Spielman while with the Dolphins

Opting against drafting a young, speedy wide receiver Rick Spielman acquired an injury prone and behavior risk David Boston. Boston got hurt in the preseason and missed the entire year. David Boston now plays for Tampa Bay.

Traded defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, the Dolphins’s 2003 Most Valuable Player for less than fair market value (WR Marty Booker and a 2005 third round pick)

Replaced Adewale Ogunleye with Chidi Ahanotu, a player who ended up quitting the Dolphins mid season.

Instead of signing a solid veteran player to lead a veteran Miami Dolphin team with a limited window of opportunity to win, Rick Spielman overpaid for A.J. Feeley and then re-signed Jay Fiedler. Both are no longer with the Dolphins.Why do we hire these people????

cogitans
05-30-2006, 09:23 PM
It seems like a bad dream. What are these jokers thinking.

I thought we were supposed to get an upgrade over Foley.

mblack76
05-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Seems like a catalogue of errors... :cry:

FuadFan
05-30-2006, 09:46 PM
If he is willing to work with others and value their opinions I have no problem with hiring him.

Caine
05-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Not real knowledgable about Mr. Spielman....but none of the initial information is encouraging. I wonder, did Zygi hire this guy simply to hire someone?

Zygi, you're starting to worry me....you really are.

Caine

olson_10
05-30-2006, 10:00 PM
the team is already in place for this season and he wont have any role in player personnel decisions anyways

VikingPatrick
05-30-2006, 10:07 PM
Maybe he will try to aquire the rights to Hershall Walker from Pros vs Joes.
I hear he still has something left in the tank!! And considering gas prices these days....Maybe we can aquire him for 3 gallons of gas, some magic beans, a $25 gift card from Menards, a box of take out ribs from the Market BBQ, and our next 6 # 1 draft picks!!!
It really sounds like we have NO CLUE!!!
GADZOOKS!!!!

Ltrey33
05-30-2006, 10:14 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/MIN/9469829

Former Dolphins GM Spielman joins Vikings

NFL.com wire reports

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (May 30, 2006) -- The Minnesota Vikings hired Rick Spielman as vice president for player personnel.

Spielman left the Miami Dolphins in June 2005 after five seasons with the club, including one as general manager. Before that, he was with Detroit from 1990-96 and Chicago from 1997-99. Spielman left the Dolphins as he became increasingly irrelevant with new coach Nick Saban having complete control over the roster.

As general manager, Spielman was widely criticized throughout the 2004 season for personnel decisions. Miami went 4-12 that season, one of the worst records in franchise history.

Spielman replaces Fran Foley, who was fired after three months on the job following a controversy about inaccuracies on his resume and a draft that got mixed reviews.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another move by the Vikings that has me scratching my head.

PurplePeopleEaters
05-30-2006, 10:18 PM
Wow. I don't know much about the guy but he sounds horrible. Look at the decisions he made in Miami. I'm going to stay optimistic but as of now it looks like a horrible move. :sad:

VikingPatrick
05-30-2006, 10:18 PM
just like a turd.....it stinks from one end to the other!!

PurplePeopleEaters
05-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Wow. I don't know much about the guy but he sounds horrible. Look at the decisions he made in Miami. I'm going to stay optimistic but as of now it looks like a horrible move. :sad:

Ltrey33
05-30-2006, 10:27 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:

I agree PPE. Those teams in Detroit were terrible. They were the ones that couldn't make the playoffs WITH Barry Sanders, and the Bears teams from '97-'99 were bad too. :banghead:

RK.
05-30-2006, 10:29 PM
:scratch:

Well at least we know that Wilf doesn't have a problem firing someone if they aren't working out.

In his defense anyone that has been on the job for 15 yrs is going to have a record of some less than stellar decisions here and there. Maybe he just wasn't getting on with Saban when he came in. It sounds like Saban took over most of his job and sort of pushed him out. It may not have been Spielman's fault that it was a bad year. He did help take teams to the playoffs so all of his decisions can't have been bad ones.

We will just have to wait and see how he does. I think I will wait and judge him on what he does for us. :wink:

Prophet
05-30-2006, 10:35 PM
"RK." wrote:

:scratch:

Well at least we know that Wilf doesn't have a problem firing someone if they aren't working out.

In his defense anyone that has been on the job for 15 yrs is going to have a record of some less than stellar decisions here and there. Maybe he just wasn't getting on with Saban when he came in. It sounds like Saban took over most of his job and sort of pushed him out. It may not have been Spielman's fault that it was a bad year. He did help take teams to the playoffs so all of his decisions can't have been bad ones.

We will just have to wait and see how he does. I think I will wait and judge him on what he does for us. :wink:

Stop using logic :cool: . I want to hate him for a little while before I give him a chance, can't I do that in peace?

I wish the season would just start.

whackthepack
05-30-2006, 10:40 PM
I just hope the Vikes checked his resume, a month from now I do not want to hear reporters ripping on the Vikings about not checking his job history.

Not thrilled with this move, but I hope that it works out for the best. I would rather the Vikes had hired a real GM that would run the entire football side of the operation, not somebody to just oversee the player personnel dept.

RK.
05-30-2006, 10:40 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

I wish the season would just start.

Amen to that Prophet. :smile:

mogwai
05-30-2006, 10:59 PM
this is the same joker that gave up a 2nd rd. pick for aj feeley...another bad front office move.come on zygi

Prophet
05-30-2006, 11:05 PM
POSTED 3:45 p.m. EDT, May 30, 2006

VIKES HIRE SPIELMAN
Mike Florio (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

The Minnesota Vikings have hired former Dolphins G.M. Rick Spielman as the team's new vice president of player personnel. (http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_RickSpielman53006.html)

On the surface, the move isn't surprising. Spielman had been mentioned as a possible candidate to replace former V.P. of player personnel Fran Foley, who was abruptly fired in early May, due in part to the fact that he treated his resume like an exercise in creative writing.

What's surprising to us is that the Vikes somehow managed to fill the position quietly and discreetly, after a tumultuous year in which there has been nothing quiet nor discreet about the organization.

Heck, no one even knew that the Vikings were interviewing. There were rumors of other potential candidates after Foley got flushed, but it eventually appeared that the Vikes would stand pat with coach Brad Childress and cap guy Rob Brzezinski running the show.

At this point, it's not known whether there were other interviews, or other candidates. Jaguars director of pro personnel Charles Bailey was a finalist for the job when Foley was hired, but Bailey was at least No. 2 again (if not lower) when the job was re-filled.

Spielman generally has been an enigma during his stints with the Lions, Bears and Dolphins. On one hand, he is generally respected and liked in league circles. On the other hand, his results have been far from stellar.

And although fans and the local media might offer up some criticism of the move, Spielman's stint in Bristol likely will secure for him a certain degree of immunity from the ESPN scribes and talking heads, similar to the kid-gloves treatment that Vinny Cerrato, Tom Donahoe, and other grads of ESPNU have received.

As long, of course, as they either take or return calls from the guys who get paid to gather the info.

boognish
05-30-2006, 11:07 PM
"mogwai" wrote:

this is the same joker that gave up a 2nd rd. pick for aj feeley...another bad front office move.come on zygi

Ya gotta wonder where he's getting his advice. From everything I've read, this guy is the Kevin McHale of the NFL (i.e. giving away draft picks like there's no tomorrow, often in return for very little). :roll:

Bruvikes
05-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Give the guy a break, who was making the calls and how much money did he have to work with. You make it sound like the lions and the Bears stunk because of him alone. Was he the coach and the players to? He did all right by getting Culpepper for nothing but maybe he didn't have anything to do with that either.

stateVIKE44
05-30-2006, 11:18 PM
I agree with most of you in that this is definately a questionable hire. But, he does have a lot of experience in scouting and covering the draft. This could become very helpful having him grade out college players. Hopefully he can do a good job and mesh well with the rest of the staff.

happy camper
05-30-2006, 11:33 PM
"Bruvikes" wrote:

Give the guy a break, who was making the calls and how much money did he have to work with. You make it sound like the lions and the Bears stunk because of him alone. Was he the coach and the players to? He did all right by getting Culpepper for nothing but maybe he didn't have anything to do with that either.

amen

Ltrey33
05-30-2006, 11:40 PM
"boognish" wrote:

"mogwai" wrote:

Ya gotta wonder where he's getting his advice. From everything I've read, this guy is the Kevin McHale of the NFL (i.e. giving away draft picks like there's no tomorrow, often in return for very little). :roll:

I guess that's better than the Isiah Thomas of the NFL!

burger13
05-31-2006, 12:01 AM
in all fairness to Spielman........Wannstedt had a lot of say in the decision making in Miami. That didn't help. One example is that it was Wanny's call to draft Eddie Moore over Anquan Boldin, although Spielman had Boldin higher on the draft board.

I'm not giving Rick a free pass, just saying that he wasn't getting much help.

boognish
05-31-2006, 12:13 AM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"boognish" wrote:

"mogwai" wrote:

I guess that's better than the Isiah Thomas of the NFL!

That's arguable...Either way, it's like comparing the stench from two turds to determine which is worst.

boognish
05-31-2006, 12:17 AM
Here's a perspective from a Dolphins website.

Spielman Leaves Mixed Legacy in Miami

by Chris Shashaty, Phins.com Columnist

The last major player of the Dave Wannstedt Era finally ushered himself out. Good thing. Otherwise, Nick Saban would have done it for him.

As a scout and researcher, ex-Dolphin General Manager Rick Spielman has few peers. His attention to detail and his capacity for work have earned him praise and respect throughout the NFL. He knows how to properly run a personnel department and he does it as well as anyone in the business. During Spielman’s tenure, the Dolphin personnel department was improved in many ways, including the addition of more scouts, more comprehensive college and pro personnel reporting, and rapid information sharing at the point of need.

Unfortunately, all of the above is for naught if the due diligence cannot be consistently converted into sound decisions. In this regard, Spielman was a failure in Miami.

In 2004, the price of this failure was paid for with a 4-12 record. 4-12 is what happens when a team doesn’t have the talent to win (See the Packers).

That is why Nick Saban is now the head coach and Spielman and Wannstedt are elsewhere.

Certainly, Wannstedt bears his share of the blame for the Dolphin train wreck. But it was Spielman who was the chief personnel man during Wannstedt’s tenure. It was Spielman who recommended the players to Wannstedt, or picked them himself.

In the end, Rick Spielman leaves Miami with mixed feelings and mixed results.

Perhaps nothing doomed Spielman more than his penchant for trading away valuable draft picks and failing to secure fair compensation for key players lost to free agency.

In the case of free agency, two glaring examples come to mind. Both situations punched damaging holes in Spielman’s credibility in the eyes of the players and the fans.

The first is the lamentable trade of DE Adewale Ogunleye to the Chicago Bears for less than fair market value (WR Marty Booker and a 2005 third round pick).

No disrespect towards Booker, a fine player in his own right, but Spielman’s portrayal of him as equal to first round compensation (which the Dolphins were entitled to) was a ludicrous boast that no one who truly knows football believed.

Spielman’s pick to replace Ogunleye? Chidi Ahanotu, a player who ended up quitting the team in October.

The second was the decision to allow RT Todd Wade to walk away in free agency (Texans).

Not placing a franchise tag on Wade was a foolish move. Not only did the Dolphins downgrade themselves at the position, they failed to gain any compensation for Wade (the team’s second round pick in 2000).

Further, it forced them to sign free agents (John St. Clair and Damion McIntosh) and spend high draft picks (Vernon Carey, more on him later) to shore up the position.

At the end of the day, it was all in vain. The Dolphins lost big. In the case of trading draft picks away, the list of mistakes is long and ugly.

Two of the more questionable moves were the trades for QB A.J. Feeley (2005 second round pick) and RB Lamar Gordon (2005 third round pick). Nothing against Feeley or Gordon, Spielman simply and badly overpaid.

At least Feeley has good upside and figures to stick around for a while. Gordon was a bust in Mike Martz’s system and is far from a sure bet to make the 2005 roster, especially if Ricky Williams returns. Saban’s trade of Patrick Surtain to the Kansas City Chiefs was made, in part, to compensate for the loss of the second rounder.

Of course few will soon forget Spielman’s notorious mismanagement of the first round of the 2004 NFL Draft. Though he’d never admit it if he did, Saban might have actually laughed at how his old buddy Bill Belichick helped sucker Spielman into surrendering a fourth round pick to move up one lousy spot to select Carey.

At first the move was somewhat understandable. Tackle was a real need position and the 2004 Draft was shallow in terms of first round quality offensive lineman.

Unfortunately, Carey hasn’t made a meaningful contribution on the field. To say that Carey is a “bust” at this point is unfair, though the situation has clearly been a major disappointment. Meanwhile, the guy who Spielman should have picked, DT Vince Wilfork, is playing quality football for…you got it… Belichick.

With the retirement of Tim Bowens and the uncertain status of Larry Chester, the Dolphins sure could have benefited from Wilfork’s services.

As for trades for players who made zero contribution in 2004, Saban continues to try and salvage value. David Boston (from San Diego for a 2005 sixth round selection and CB Jamar Fletcher) never made it out of training camp. Boston, a proven injury and behavioral risk, not surprisingly ended up hurt and, later, in trouble with the law.

In Ricky Williams’s case, the cost to the team was significantly higher…two first round draft picks plus an exchange of fourth rounders for a guy who played just two seasons, quit on a third, and is not a sure bet to be a Dolphin beyond 2005 (provided he returns to the team).

There are still more examples to cite, like questionable free agent signings (e.g. Derrius Thompson), re-signings (Jay Fiedler), and Spielman’s poor track record of success in the upper rounds of the draft.

You get the idea.

Spielman never did. Rather, he was mystified how others couldn’t see the brilliance of his decisions. In his own world, he was a genius.

Objectively, Spielman does deserve credit for finding some very good players, many in later rounds. Wade was a second rounder as was Chris Chambers. Seth McKinney was a decent third round pick, as was Travis Minor. Randy McMichael and Will Poole were terrific finds in the fourth round. Up and comers Tony Bua (fifth round) and Rex Hadnot (sixth round) appear to be real steals as is seventh rounder Derrick Pope.

There were also some good trades, the best example of which was the deal for LB Junior Seau (2004 fifth rounder). Seau has since won the team’s leadership award two years running, an honor voted on by the players.

Spielman is also to be commended for his professionalism in helping Saban prepare for the draft and free agency. It could not have been easy for Spielman to continue to work under such uncertain circumstances. By all accounts, he did a good job supporting Saban’s agenda.

Perhaps Spielman hoped to convince Saban to keep him in some major capacity, just as he did in 2004 when he persuaded owner H. Wayne Huizenga to name him GM over a slew of outsiders, including newly minted GM Randy Mueller.

Spielman never had a chance. Mueller’s arrival is a stark reminder that things are indeed different in Miami.

More of the same is a thing of the past. So, now, is Spielman.

truncatus
05-31-2006, 12:25 AM
"Bruvikes" wrote:

He had nothing to do with getting Culpepper. The Fins's new GM Mueller and Saban spearheaded that deal.

VikesfaninWis
05-31-2006, 01:01 AM
I don't know much about him, but it has to be better then Fran Foley.. Lets see what happens..

cajunvike
05-31-2006, 01:08 AM
On the good side, he's probably STILL BETTER than Fran (Fookin') Foley!

FuadFan
05-31-2006, 01:09 AM
They will be talking to Speilman in the next couple of minutes on Total Access.

twill
05-31-2006, 01:18 AM
bro im really suprised in the moves this franchise makes, its like they are trying to be worse and worse.. here are sum of spielmans highlights:

for instance trade a 2nd rounder for AJ Feely. Lamar Gordon for a 3rd Rounder. The o-line he went after in the FA period was a bunch of bums. That line couldnt of even blocked for Barry Sanders. With that shytty o-line Ricky couldnt take it no more and retired. Their draft after the Jimmy Johnson era was horrible and probaly one of the worst drafts in franchise history which lead the team to have the 2 worst record in the NFL that landed them Ronnie Brown. example of their 1st round picks have been people like Jamar Fletcher.

COJOMAY
05-31-2006, 01:18 AM
Scouting is a crap shoot no matter who the "picker" is. Every team has made some crappy decisions. If he's only made a handful in all his 15 years, he's to be commended.

seaniemck7
05-31-2006, 01:20 AM
As a scout and researcher, ex-Dolphin General Manager Rick Spielman has few peers. His attention to detail and his capacity for work have earned him praise and respect throughout the NFL. He knows how to properly run a personnel department and he does it as well as anyone in the business. During Spielman’s tenure, the Dolphin personnel department was improved in many ways, including the addition of more scouts, more comprehensive college and pro personnel reporting, and rapid information sharing at the point of need.

This tidbit is encouraging. The personnel we have currently in place for pro and college scouting is a sound. As long as we have checks and balances in place, I think things will work out just fine.

stjmnsota
05-31-2006, 01:26 AM
I have to think that all of his decisions haven't been without input or influence from other parties within the respective organizations. Although I guess he would be the guy that makes the final decisions though.

Who has he had to work with in Detroit, Chicago and Miami though? Take a look at the coaches there.

I'm willing to give him a chance. Can't make worse decisions than the Vikes have made this past draft/offseason (with the exception of trading Culpepper) or even in recent years. I hope.

shawn9876uss
05-31-2006, 01:35 AM
I am mixed with this decision, he doesn't have a great track record.

singersp
05-31-2006, 01:57 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

On the good side, he's probably STILL BETTER than Fran (Fookin') Foley!

You mean Fooley, don't you? :wink:

Wiggles67
05-31-2006, 03:16 AM
no idea what to say on this...but from everyone else's response I'm not too thrilled

Muggsy
05-31-2006, 03:38 AM
Da stuff youse mugs are sayin' about dis palooka Spielman ain't exactly got me doin' handsprings over Zygi's latest hire. I was hopin' mebbe we would get dat Charles Bailey from Jacksonville. I mean, he was considered da runner-up to Foley, shouldn't he have gotten da job?

I dunno 'bout dis, y'know? He spent most of his time wit' losers, da Bears and da Lions, and da 'Fins weren't exactly scarin' people when he was there, y'know? I wonder how Zygi makes his decisions. Dart Board?

I hopes dis woiks out, but I'm startin' to have some doubts about da way Zygi does things, y'know?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/Brummbar/Speilman.jpg

singersp
05-31-2006, 03:41 AM
"boognish" wrote:

That's arguable...Either way, it's like comparing the stench from two turds to determine which is worst.

I wouldn't know. I've never done that! :lol:

BradTheMan14
05-31-2006, 04:50 AM
just because he took some chances in miama doesnt mean he isnt good. i think this is a great move..spielman is awesome..

ThePurplePotato
05-31-2006, 04:55 AM
Is the TOA still part of the plan? If it is, I'm sure the power has evened out some between Childress and Spielman. Foley had a majority of the power when he was around and I don't think Zygi is going to make that mistake again.

singersp
05-31-2006, 05:37 AM
Posted on Tue, May. 30, 2006

Spielman a safe choice as Vikings' vice president of personnel

BY TOM POWERS
Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Rick Spielman has a couple of things going for him as the Vikings' new vice president of player personnel. First, his resume is easily verifiable.

Second, he isn't exactly following a legend.

And after dealing with Ricky Williams in Miami he is uniquely prepared to communicate with some of the goofballs the Vikings tend to produce.

Spielman is a safe choice. And that's what the organization needs right now: plain vanilla. There's never a surprise with vanilla. There's never any controversy with vanilla. You're rarely embarrassed ordering a scoop of vanilla.

The addition of Spielman also reinflates the Vikings' famous Triangle of Authority, which collapsed after Fran Foley was given the New Jersey salute last month.

"I was on the outside and looked at this Triangle of Authority," Spielman said. "I think that was something the media labeled on this thing. I don't think there's a Triangle of Authority."

Well, that's a term that Zygi - Mr. Wilf to you, Rick - first used. So you might want to get used to the geometric reference.

It's usually safe to assume that anyone hired by the Vikings has a fatal flaw. It's just a matter of when it becomes manifest to the public. So maybe this fellow once went on a baby seal hunt in the Bering Strait or forgot to genuflect before reading from the Vikings Code of Conduct.

Or maybe - God help me, experience tells me I'm going to regret saying this - the Vikings actually stumbled onto the right guy for this particular job.

Spielman has been around front offices long enough to be part of the insiders network. His track record as a personnel director is . . . OK. He made some good moves and some bad ones in Miami. But at least he has a track record. Besides, he is not going to be asked to reinvent the wheel this season. Most of the heavy lifting already has been done.

His No. 1 priority for the rest of the summer is to not implode and bring more shame upon the organization. Good luck on that.

"Well, I was just trying to find my office first," he said of his first concern. It's the one with "Foley" on the door. "I want to get to know the coaches," he said. "I want to build a relationship with the coaches and with the personnel staff."

It should be noted the Vikings passed over Spielman during their first search for a vice president of player personnel. Sharpies that they are, they zeroed in on Fran Foley instead. Spielman insisted that he doesn't have a problem with that. In fact, he went out of his way to praise everybody in the organization on Tuesday.

Seriously, he probably had to buy some ChapStick after doing all that kissing up. But it wasn't just random apple-polishing. Spielman clearly was going out of his way to show that he is a team player and not a glory hound.

That's good, too, because the Triangle of Authority now looks to be something other than an equilateral triangle. It's obvious coach Brad Childress is going to have the final say on most everything, including which brand of tissues are used in the executive washroom.

"Again, I don't want to get into exactly who has what and who has this because that's not important," Spielman said. The one odd thing about the hiring is that Spielman is coming off a gig as both a TV analyst and an online writer for ESPN. It seems strange that the most media-unfriendly organization around would hire someone from TV.

Consider that under the Childress regime, the TV (and newspaper) reporters have been permanently kicked out of the Winter Park complex and stationed in the basement of an office building across the street.

Perhaps Spielman had the good sense to leave that ESPN stuff off his resume.

I think it's OK to leave stuff off. But it's a real problem when you add stuff.

Spielman a safe choice as Vikings' vice president of personnel (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/14702115.htm)

Muggsy
05-31-2006, 05:57 AM
Anytime dat punk Tom Powers likes sumpin', it REALLY makes me noivous, y'know?

ejmat
05-31-2006, 06:08 AM
Guys and Gals, this isn't a good thing. I watched him tear apart a good Miami Dolphin team. This is sad news. He sucks!!!!!!

ejmat
05-31-2006, 06:12 AM
"BradTheMan14" wrote:

just because he took some chances in miama doesnt mean he isnt good. i think this is a great move..spielman is awesome..

What exactly are you basing this on? I lived in Ft. Lauderdale during his regime there. He SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He took a contender and turned them into the laughing stock.

divine_roos
05-31-2006, 06:38 AM
i thought this was an interesting article from the startribune because towards the end it talks about the new power structure in more detail than some of these other articles.

Vikings hire Rick Spielman to replace Foley

New hire Rick Spielman seems willing to play nice within the team's power structure.

Mark Craig, Star Tribune

The Vikings' Triangle of Authority was geometrically restored and effectively vague Tuesday when ESPN analyst and former Miami Dolphins General Manager Rick Spielman was hired as vice president of player personnel.

Spielman spoke at length during his introductory news conference but kept details of the team's power structure tucked neatly behind a made-for-TV smile. Meanwhile, the other legs of the Triangle -- coach Brad Childress and Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski -- weren't made available to the media, and owner Zygi Wilf issued only a two-sentence statement that said the team was "excited to hire" Spielman and is "impressed with Rick's expertise, passion, character and work ethic."

Spielman spent 15 years in the personnel departments of the Detroit Lions (1990-96), Chicago Bears (1997-99) and Dolphins (2000-04), working his way up from a low-level scout with the Lions to director of pro personnel with the Bears to the top player personnel executive with the Dolphins.

He spent one year as the Dolphins' general manager but left on June 3, 2005, when it became obvious that his job was irrelevant alongside new coach Nick Saban, who was given full control of the team.

Spielman joined ESPN in a variety of roles, working in TV, radio and writing a column for ESPN.com. He originally lost the Vikings' job to Fran Foley four months ago. But Foley was fired May 3 because of inaccuracies in his résumé and differences with other members of the organization, including Childress. Foley filed a complaint for wrongful termination with the league and is awaiting an arbitration hearing.

Getting along with his co-workers doesn't appear to be a problem for Spielman. He distanced himself from the Foley fiasco, saying it didn't cause him a moment of hesitation in accepting the job.

As for filling the power void in the so-called Triangle of Authority, Spielman said that was a term created by the media -- "of which I was part of, remember" -- and not one he believes is accurate in describing the Vikings' power structure.

If anything, Spielman expanded the triangle into a square to include Scott Studwell, the team's director of college scouting.

"Without getting into the front office standpoint as far as how everything is going to work, I will be running the personnel side, Coach will be running the coaches side, and Scott Studwell will be running the college draft," Spielman said. "And then we will work together to come up with the best decision for this organization."

Spielman said he's convinced the consensus style of management can work with the Vikings, an organization he praised profusely. He said Childress was at the top of the Dolphins' list of coaching candidates last year, but they couldn't interview him because Childress' Philadelphia Eagles made it to the Super Bowl. Spielman also said Brzezinski is one of the "top two or three" salary cap experts in the league, and Studwell was one of the NFL's top college talent evaluators.

"All of the successful teams are able to interact and communicate to get on the same page when it comes time to make decisions that are best for the organizations," Spielman said. "I may want to do this, but Rob will come to me and say from a cap standpoint this is why you can't do that. Oh, OK. Or the coach may say from a schematic standpoint, this is why you can't do that. Everyone has to work together."

Note

• Vikings guard Adam Goldberg signed his one-year, $425,000 tender offer as an exclusive-rights free agent.

V-Unit
05-31-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm not a fan of this. Judging from his TV appearances, he seems like a dod who has no idea what he is talking about. When has he been in a place that succeeded? Never! This guy is an overpaid scout.

LAVike
05-31-2006, 08:39 AM
If he's great at making under-valued trades, then he'll fit right in with the Vikes! Seriously though, I hope either his placement in the organization is having little to no authority, or he's learned his lessons and makes some of the best moves ever seen by a franchise.

BradTheMan14
05-31-2006, 08:45 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"BradTheMan14" wrote:

What exactly are you basing this on? I lived in Ft. Lauderdale during his regime there. He SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He took a contender and turned them into the laughing stock.

at least ive heard of him and his analysis of the draft was good..he wont be the only guy in charge like he was in miama so he will do great..plus he has roots with the vikes..and hes a cutie

Warp
05-31-2006, 08:48 AM
Kind of a head scratcher here. I guess i dont mind the move since hes better than foley. When i seen him on espn he seemed like he was good at scouting players but so does everyone on tv( or they would like you to think they do). I hope he knows what hes doing. :???:

ejmat
05-31-2006, 09:16 AM
"BradTheMan14" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"BradTheMan14" wrote:

at least ive heard of him and his analysis of the draft was good..he wont be the only guy in charge like he was in miama so he will do great..plus he has roots with the vikes..and hes a cutie

Oh, he's cute. Okay well I guess he's our man then. I heard of him too and I watched him destroy what was a good team. Look at where else he's been. Detroit and Chicago. Did nothing in either place. He did do something in Miami. He ruined the team to where they had to rebuild. Granted, in 2004 a lot of horrible things happened in Miami. All the injuries and other problems were beyond anyone's control. Having Dave Wanstadt as head coach didn't help much either. But this guy is an idiot. Sure, he sounded okay when analyzing the draft. Anyone can sound good doing that. It's actually being a part of the draft and making good decisions when it counts.

I know we should have hired Aly Landry or Shania Twain. They're hot so I guess they can be the GM. I just being sarcastic (obviously) and having a little fun so don't take it personal. Everyone has a right to their opinion. I respect your opinion. I just don't agree with it.

singersp
05-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Posted on Wed, May. 31, 2006

Building consensus

In aftermath of Foley debacle, Spielman vows to work together with front office

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press

So who is Rick Spielman?

The more relevant answer at the moment is who the Vikings' new vice president of player personnel apparently isn't.

Based on Tuesday's introductory news conference and the early reviews, Spielman is someone who can be expected to work well with coach Brad Childress and other members of the front office in a shared power arrangement.

Details of exactly how that will work weren't forthcoming Tuesday, but Spielman arrives with a reputation as the anti-Fran Foley, who was hired to the same position in January but was fired three months later because of an embellished résumé and what sources have said was an abrasive personality that led to confrontations with Childress and other members of the organization.

Spielman, who signed a three-year contract, went to great lengths to praise Childress and emphasize that any major decisions would be made by consensus with the greater good of the team in mind.

"Without getting into the front-office standpoint as far as how everything is going to work, I will be running the personnel side," he said. "Coach will be running the coach's side, (director of college scouting) Scott Studwell will be running the college draft, and then we will work together to come up with what's the best for this organization."

That could signal an end to the Vikings' so-called Triangle of Authority, in which Foley, Childress and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski were supposed to operate on a separate-but-equal footing, with Foley having the final decision in personnel areas such as draft choices.

The Vikings didn't make Childress or Brzezinski available for comment Tuesday, and Wilf was out of town, confining his remarks to a team statement in which he said: "We are extremely excited to hire Rick. … We are impressed with Rick's expertise, passion, character and work ethic."

Spielman, who has 15 seasons of NFL personnel experience with Chicago, Detroit and Miami, had highlights and lowlights during his five seasons with the Dolphins. League reaction to the hire, though, was generally positive.

"Rick is a good guy," said former Atlanta and Jacksonville personnel director Ron Hill, like Spielman one of seven candidates to interview for the Vikings' position the first time around. "He'll do a good job for them. He's been in the league a long time. He and Brzezinski have a relationship, having both worked at Miami, so he'll have that going for him walking into the building."

Former Atlanta and Green Bay personnel executive Ken Herock was even more effusive.

"Good hire," he said. "He has experience. He's a hard worker. I know the guy. He's one of those guys who comes to work at 6 in the morning and closes the place down. He's also the kind of guy who works well with people."

Spielman, 43, had some draft hits during his five seasons (2000-04) with the Dolphins, selecting Pro Bowl receiver Chris Chambers in the second round in 2001 and tight end Randy McMichael in the fourth round the next year.

But he also missed badly on first-round cornerback Jamar Fletcher in 2001 and was widely criticized for two 2004 trades: a swap in which he sent Pro Bowl defensive end Adewale Ogunleye to Chicago for receiver Marty Booker and a disastrous deal in which he sent a second-round 2005 draft choice to Philadelphia for quarterback A.J. Feeley.

Spielman was No. 2 to coach Dave Wannstedt in personnel decisions for all but the last of those seasons, when he was promoted to general manager, but after a 4-12 finish in 2004 he followed Wannstedt out the door last June and has been working since as an NFL analyst for ESPN.

Herock believes Spielman is a much better hire, though, than Foley, who was No. 3 on San Diego's personnel depth chart when he joined the Vikings and had never run a draft war room.

"Much more solid," Herock said. "This guy has been there. He knows how to set up and run a draft. The Vikings are better off now, making the hire they did. It'll establish more credibility."

Spielman wouldn't discuss the timing of his hiring by the Vikings, and it's not known how many other candidates they might have interviewed.

The brother of former Detroit and Buffalo linebacker Chris Spielman did say he thought the Vikings did a good job of addressing their needs in the offseason and that he is excited to be getting back to his element after his brief stint in the media.

Spielman said he will remain in Minnesota for the next two weeks and that his first order of business will be putting his Davie, Fla., house on the market and buying one here this weekend.

Briefly: The Vikings are expected to announce extensions soon for most members of the scouting department, whose contracts were due to expire today.

• Spielman and his wife have adopted four children and are in the process of adopting two more.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at dseeholzer@pioneerpress.com.

Building consensus (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14702869.htm)

Prophet
05-31-2006, 01:09 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Spielman to run the personnel side
Tue, 30 May 2006 19:58:04 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said he would be in charge of the team's personnel decisions. "Without getting into the front-office standpoint as far as how everything is going to work, I will be running the personnel side," he said. "Coach will be running the coach's side, (director of college scouting) Scott Studwell will be running the college draft, and then we will work together to come up with what's the best for this organization." That could signal an end to the Vikings' so-called Triangle of Authority, in which former vice president of personnel Fran Foley, head coach Brad Childress and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski were supposed to operate on a separate-but-equal footing, with Foley having the final decision in personnel areas such as draft choices. Spielman wouldn't discuss the timing of his hiring by the Vikings, and it's not known how many other candidates they might have interviewed.

COJOMAY
05-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Four quotes I found interesting in these articles...

First from the Tom Powers at the Pioneer Press:
The one odd thing about the hiring is that Spielman is coming off a gig as both a TV analyst and an online writer for ESPN. It seems strange that the most media-unfriendly organization around would hire someone from TV.
When are they gonna get off this "unfriendly to the media" kick. Just because they don't have a big mouth like Tice they are "media unfriendly." Get a life you reporters and GET TO WORK!

Secondly from Mark Craig at the Star/Tribune:
He said Childress was at the top of the Dolphins' list of coaching candidates last year, but they couldn't interview him because Childress' Philadelphia Eagles made it to the Super Bowl.
That's the first time I've heard that statement made. So why isn't the Fin's media unfair for making this a secret? :lol:

Next from Don Seeholzer at the Pioneer Press:
Scott Studwell will be running the college draft, I like hearing this. Studwell has always been a good guy in my estimation.

And lastly this quote from Seeholzer:
The Vikings are expected to announce extensions soon for most members of the scouting department, whose contracts were due to expire today. With Foly they would have been all gone including Studwell. Good news! We've had enough turnover in management and coaching for awhile. :shock:

snowinapril
05-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Can anyone say "Figure Head."

whackthepack
05-31-2006, 03:44 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I'm not a fan of this. Judging from his TV appearances, he seems like a dod who has no idea what he is talking about. When has he been in a place that succeeded? Never! This guy is an overpaid scout.

What does dod mean?

whackthepack
05-31-2006, 03:50 PM
First from the Tom Powers at the Pioneer Press: The one odd thing about the hiring is that Spielman is coming off a gig as both a TV analyst and an online writer for ESPN. It seems strange that the most media-unfriendly organization around would hire someone from TV.

"COJOMAY" wrote:

When are they gonna get off this "unfriendly to the media" kick. Just because they don't have a big mouth like Tice they are "media unfriendly." Get a life you reporters and GET TO WORK!

Good post Cojomay, I agree the media in this town are a bunch of cry babies!

boognish
05-31-2006, 03:59 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Okay, after my initial reaction of NOOOO!!!!, I've come back to Earth and am starting to think that this might be all right, IF Spielman is used correctly. I re-read that article from fins.com that I posted on page two of this thread (to get an insider's view of him) and found that Spielman actually brings quite a few positives to the table, including:

-"As a scout and researcher, ex-Dolphin General Manager Rick Spielman has few peers. His attention to detail and his capacity for work have earned him praise and respect throughout the NFL. He knows how to properly run a personnel department and he does it as well as anyone in the business. During Spielman’s tenure, the Dolphin personnel department was improved in many ways, including the addition of more scouts, more comprehensive college and pro personnel reporting, and rapid information sharing at the point of need"

His achilles heel seems to be his penchant to trade away draft picks for questionable players and for making poor final decisions, in general. If the Vikings leave the final decisions with Childress and simply utilize the organizational skills of Spielman, I think that this might be a good move for our team.

snowinapril
05-31-2006, 04:07 PM
The Head at the top of the Triangle, just sitting there!

I didn't mean the Figure Head thing as a negative as much as a comment about the division of power.

Rick 5% (5% is good, normally a figure head gets none)
Rob 25%
Brad 70%

This is all in jest!!

boognish
05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

What does dod mean?

DOD=Dashing Old Dude?

DOD=Dastardly Ornery Dumba**

DOD=Decidedly Overwhelmed Dupe

boognish
05-31-2006, 04:15 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I didn't mean the Figure Head thing as a negative as much as a comment about the division of power.

Rob 25%
Brad 70%

This is all in jest!!

Oh yeah... I was agreeing with you. He should be a figure head who works behind the scenes making sure the "machine" is well oiled and operating smoothly; the real decision-making power should lie with Childress and Zygi though, IMHO.

mvfan
05-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi, I'm a long time Dolphin fan and I must say that I'm scratching my head on your hire of Rick Spielman. I picked this up from a site I read quite often called dolphinblog.com and this guy pretty much knows the history of Dave Wannstedt and Rick Spielman better than anybody. Before he did dolphinblog he ran the firedavewannstedt.com site and he was dead on way before anybody about Wannstedt and Spielman.

You've really got to know the collective history of these two from their Bear days and the Phin days to know the magnitude of how bad they were at evaluating talent.

I wish you guys the best of luck but don't kid yourselves into thinking that Spielman is a talented personnel evaluator, because he's simply not.

From dolphinblog.com

What is it with the Vikings?

Before this off-season, I never wrote a word about the Minnesota Vikings. That's changed considerably the last couple of months with the Daunte trade, Brad Childress's diarrhea of the mouth, and now the hiring of our lovable ex-GM, Rick Spielman. I find myself writing about this Keystone cop franchise quite often.

I just checked out the Viking fan forum and most of the posters, those with half a brain, are saying WTF? It's not to hard to run a quick Bio on little Ricky to find out that they just hired a guy with a large L on his forehead. If I were a Viking fan right now, I'd be worried sick with the direction of my franchise.

The win/loss record in Spielmans final season with the Phins and the Bears is a combined 8-24.

4-12 with the Bears, 4-12 with the Phins.

His years as a player personnel advisor for both franchises was a combined 8 years. 3 with the Bears, 5 with the Phins.

So let's put this in a nutshell:

Spielman who had a great deal of say-so in the personnel decisions of both teams, advised both franchises to bring in players that ultimately led to a combined win/loss record of 8-24 in his final season with both teams.

Am I missing something here? Is there anyway to rationalize that this guy brought any success to the Bears and Phins? Both the teams that he's been associated with within the last 8 seasons, ended up as cellar dwellers in the NFL.

I'll ask again---where can you find any success with these facts?

I won't even go into the questionable trades that this guy was involved with.

OK--maybe two.

Many use the AJ Feeley trade as a the best example of Spielmans ineptness, but most forget that the dude was heavily involved with the Rick Mirer trade back in Chicago. Me-thinks that that trade usurps the Feeley trade with stupidity.

Hey--The Phins only gave up a 2nd round pick for Feeley (cough-cough) compared to a 1st and a 4th round pick the Bears gave to Seattle for Mirer. BUT then again, when the Phins traded Feeley to the Chargers, they had to give up a 6th round pick just to unload him, so who knows, maybe it was a wash.

Side note with irony... The guy who suckered Wanny and Spielman in the Mirer trade was none other than Randy Mueller, our current GM. Chuckle--chuckle...

BUT what's the point in cherry picking a few of Spielmans bad deals when the totality of his work speaks for itself?

It is a record of a Loser and if you try to argue otherwise---well...then you deserve what you get.

On edit:

It's funny-- but I write a whole big post detailing Spielmans failure the last several seasons as a personnel advisor and I forget one of the more glaring examples of how bad he was.

In the 4 drafts that he was involved in prior to Nick Saban coming to town, only two players, Chris Chambers and Randy McMichael are current starters for the Phins. TWO!

Nuff said....

Zeus
05-31-2006, 04:29 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Rob 25%
Brad 70%

This is all in jest!!

It's not a triangle, tho. It's a rhombus.

Brad on one corner, Rob on the next, Spielman on the next and Studwell on the 4th.

The Rhombus of Reason!

=Z=

snowinapril
05-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Wow! to the phin post...

snowinapril
05-31-2006, 04:35 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Rob 25%
Brad 70%

This is all in jest!!

Brad on one corner, Rob on the next, Spielman on the next and Studwell on the 4th.

The Rhombus of Reason!

=Z=

The Rhombus of Reason!

That is catchie

Good one =Z=!!

boognish
05-31-2006, 05:07 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Rob 25%
Brad 70%

This is all in jest!!

The Rhombus of Reason!

=Z=

Don't forget about Zygi...perhaps the "Pentagon of Power" would be more appropriate :wink:

Prophet
05-31-2006, 05:12 PM
"mvfan" wrote:

...In the 4 drafts that he was involved in prior to Nick Saban coming to town, only two players, Chris Chambers and Randy McMichael are current starters for the Phins. TWO!

Nuff said....
http://dolphinblog.com/index0530061155pm.may30.4.htm

That comment means nothing to me. What I would like to know is how is that in comparison to other folks in his position in the draft? What percentage of draft picks typically become long-term starters? I'm too lazy to figure it out, but it would shed light onto the situation.

My gut instinct is that there are relatively few draftees percentage-wise that make it onto the starting roster and stay there (pure speculation, my guess would be ~40% at best).

I'm not drooling over the 'other Ricky' from the Fins that now calls Winter Park home. But, I would like to know how he has done in comparison with other so-called draft wizards.

Prophet
05-31-2006, 05:21 PM
SPIELMAN'S ROLE CLEARLY UNCLEAR
POSTED 9:10 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 10:38 a.m. EDT, May 31, 2006

New Vikings V.P. of player personnel Rick Spielman provided few details during his introductory news conference as to whether he's the rock, the scissors, or the paper in the reconfigured Minnesota front office.

Spielman, a surprise hire which came at a time when it appeared that the position vacated by Fran Foley wouldn't be filled in 2006, said that he'll be in charge of the personnel department, that director of college scouting Scott Studwell will run the draft, and that coach Brad Childress "will be running the coaches side."

The picture painted by Spielman is that decisions will be made by consensus.

"All of the successful teams are able to interact and communicate to get on the same page when it comes time to make decisions that are best for the organizations," said Spielman, who signed a three-year contract with the team. "I may want to do this, but Rob [Brzezinski] will come to me and say from a cap standpoint this is why you can't do that. Oh, OK. Or the coach may say from a schematic standpoint, this is why you can't do that. Everyone has to work together."

Great idea, in theory. But a little harder to apply when four different guys with four different personalities have genuinely held but diverging ideas about what's best for the team. Someone has to have the ability to break the tie, and football front offices rarely resolve their disagreements with Chip 'n' Dale diplomacy.

Our guess? Spielman will be the guy charged with building consensus by rubbing nuts. And that's why his reputation as a "good guy" will serve him well in the job.

Said one league source: "Rick was willing to work under any set of circumstances. He couldn't get a sniff at any job. Now [Childress and Brezeinski] know they have someone they can control, and they know Rick won't do anything as dumb as Foley and he won't rub people the wrong way, he's too good a person."

Still, Spielman's overall competence and effectiveness remain valid concerns. His single season as an NFL G.M. was a nightmare. Thrust into the Miami job in 2004 after Dan Marino backed away from a front-office gig less than a month after accepting it, the circumstances created an unhealthy sense of desperation within the organization as both Spielman and then-coach Dave Wannstedt knew that they needed to go deep into the playoffs or better in order to remain employed in South Florida. Sure, it didn't help the cause when Ricky Williams abruptly retired. But it was Wannstedt and Spielman who traded for the guy, and Ricky had a track record at the time he was acquired of oft-bizarre behavior. Spielman and Wannstedt also sent a second-round pick to the Eagles for quarterback A.J. Feeley, who was a complete bust. Shortly before the season started, they shipped defensive end Adewale Ogunleye to Chicago for receiver Marty Booker -- whose $3 million salary in 2006 could make him a former Dolphins before too long.

Beyond raw ability, there are two other factors that, based on our discussions with multiple league insiders over the years, are crucial to the question of whether a guy is a good hire: attention to detail and integrity.

As to the latter, we generally believe that Spielman passes the sniff test. However, we're troubled by accounts from multiple readers of Spielman the ESPN football analyst crotch-nuzzling the Vikings in the days prior to the announcement of his hiring. We don't have a problem with a guy pimping his moneymaker, as long as the connection is obvious. Spielman's recent words of praise regarding the Vikings came at a time when no one knew that he was so close to getting hired by them, and it's a fact that should have been disclosed to the audience.

As to the former, Spielman said something during his introductory press conference (http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_RickSpielman53006.html) that elicited from us a Krameresque head jerk. Specifically, Spielman claimed that the term "Triangle of Authority" was label devised by the media, and not one that he believes is accurate in describing the Vikings' power structure.

Hoochiemama.

Technically, the term "Triangle of Authority" originated in the media, since the media reported that it was a phrase coined by Vikings owner Zygi Wilf (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2305418) to describe the Vikings' power structure.

The fact that Spielman didn't know this doesn't speak well of his overall preparation to pursue the job for which he has been hired, and it likewise doesn't reflect well on his ability to gather, process, and recall information that came his way as a member of the media.

Bottom line? He's a nice guy with the skills to be a solid lieutenant, but never the captain. As long as the Vikings know how to use him, and as long as he accepts the limits of his role, it shouldn't be a problem.

But if that title goes to his head (as it did with his predecessor), it's going to be yet another train wreck for a once-proud franchise that has had as bad a year outside the lines as any team in the history of professional sports.

DolFan1971
05-31-2006, 06:22 PM
I really feel sorry for you Vikes fans after your owner hired Rick Speildork. I won't go into all the morbid details because many will just say "we will wait and see for ourselves" but be advised. Rick's resume is not a good one and all us in Phin Nation were very glad when Saban showed this dude the door.

Good luck.

V-Unit
05-31-2006, 06:40 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

What's the point of hiring such a person just to be a figure head? Why not just hire some unknown who nobody cares about and have him do nothing in the office? It's not as if Spielman is a popular guy, he brings the Vikings more bad press and negative opinions by the fans.

RK.
05-31-2006, 07:00 PM
Just a couple of points. There are many reasons for the 4-12 seasons of the Bears and Dolphins beyond what Spielman did or did not do. He wasn't the coach or calling the plays. I doubt those teams did poorly simply because of who they drafted. They just sucked all the way around.

Also it has been clearly stated that Studwell is the guy that will run the draft and player evaluation for the Vikes. The player personnel dept does more than just run the draft. Speilman was brought in to oversee the dept not pick players. He will be dealing with guys that want their contracts
re-done, and helping with personal problems for some players, and things like that. I think it was made very clear to him the limits of his duties in this job especially after the Foley fiasco.

Muggsy
05-31-2006, 07:00 PM
God, from what I keep hearin' from da Fins fans, Zygi must have been smokin' some heavy stuff to hire dis loser, y'know? What was he thinkin'??? Once again, da Vikes look like they don't know what they're doin', y'know?

Why, why, why, didn't Zygi hire Charles Bailey, someone who knows what da heck he's doin'? I hate dis move more dan ANY Zygi has made so far in da org, y'know? Spielman's such an obvious figure head it's ridiculous.

Oh, jeez. Spielman's gonna have to do da best he has EVER done just to not screw up! Da Vikes look like grade-A, foist class Chumps!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/Brummbar/Spielman.jpg

mvfan
05-31-2006, 07:13 PM
"RK." wrote:

Just a couple of points. There are many reasons for the 4-12 seasons of the Bears and Dolphins beyond what Spielman did or did not do. He wasn't the coach or calling the plays. I doubt those teams did poorly simply because of who they drafted. They just sucked all the way around.

Also it has been clearly stated that Studwell is the guy that will run the draft and player evaluation for the Vikes. The player personnel dept does more than just run the draft. Speilman was brought in to oversee the dept not pick players. He will be dealing with guys that want their contracts
re-done, and helping with personal problems for some players, and things like that. I think it was made very clear to him the limits of his duties in this job especially after the Foley fiasco.

The point is---he was in the position to evaluate talent for the Bears and the Phins and that talent was responsible along with the coaching for making both teams horrible.

snowinapril
05-31-2006, 08:12 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

What's the point of hiring such a person just to be a figure head? Why not just hire some unknown who nobody cares about and have him do nothing in the office? It's not as if Spielman is a popular guy, he brings the Vikings more bad press and negative opinions by the fans.

Your comments seem true.

His track record is not the greatest.

I hope he does a better job here.

happy camper
05-31-2006, 08:27 PM
a guy who has made mistakes.. at least has had mistakes to learn from.

a guy who has made no mistakes.. has no mistakes to learn from.

BadlandsVikings
05-31-2006, 08:32 PM
"Muggsy" wrote:

God, from what I keep hearin' from da Fins fans, Zygi must have been smokin' some heavy stuff to hire dis loser, y'know? What was he thinkin'??? Once again, da Vikes look like they don't know what they're doin', y'know?

Why, why, why, didn't Zygi hire Charles Bailey, someone who knows what da heck he's doin'? I hate dis move more dan ANY Zygi has made so far in da org, y'know? Spielman's such an obvious figure head it's ridiculous.

Oh, jeez. Spielman's gonna have to do da best he has EVER done just to not screw up! Da Vikes look like grade-A, foist class Chumps!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/Brummbar/Spielman.jpg

He looks kind of goofy, I hope he can help us, and not screw anything up.

DolFan1971
05-31-2006, 09:04 PM
"RK." wrote:

As long as speildork doesn't have final say or control over personnel matters you should be ok. If he does then look out is all I am saying.

You are correct there is more to a 4-12 year than just the GM, however the GM or personnel guy lays the foundation of the team. If he does not manage the draft or FA very well and gets average or sub-par players then its going to be a rough year regardless. Just look at the Bears and Phins records the time both wannsuck and speildork were there. Both declined to 4-12 seasons. Saban in one year got us back to 9-7, obtained your former pro bowl QB and has stedily improved the roster. Speildork got us Feelme who is no longer here for a 2nd round pick, sent Ogun packing and didn't even try to keep Todd Wade, we lost him for nothing to the Texans. The guy is a complete idiot when it comes to trades and personnel matters. The only two starters we have from the wannsuck speildork era is Chris Chambers and Randy McMichal and thats sad.

Zeus
05-31-2006, 09:14 PM
"DolFan1971" wrote:

I really feel sorry for you Vikes fans after your owner hired Rick Speildork. I won't go into all the morbid details because many will just say "we will wait and see for ourselves" but be advised. Rick's resume is not a good one and all us in Phin Nation were very glad when Saban showed this dude the door.

Good luck.

And exactly when since 1972 has *anyone* done a good job in "Phin Nation"? Best QB in NFL history and your boys barely sniffed the Super Bowl.

Pardon me if I take your criticism with a salt lick.

=Z=

DolFan1971
05-31-2006, 09:31 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

Good luck.

And exactly when since 1972 has *anyone* done a good job in "Phin Nation"? Best QB in NFL history and your boys barely sniffed the Super Bowl.

=Z=

Wannsuck and speildork took us to 4-12. Do you know when the last time the Phins were 4-12? Take it however you want but if he has control or final say over personnel matters look out. I am sure any Bears fan will tell you the same thing.

JDogg926
05-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Is this guy related to Chris Spielman?

DolFan1971
05-31-2006, 09:44 PM
"JDogg926" wrote:

Yeah they are brothers.

cajunvike
05-31-2006, 09:50 PM
"DolFan1971" wrote:

"AWZeus" wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

Good luck.

=Z=

Wannsuck and speildork took us to 4-12. Do you know when the last time the Phins were 4-12? Take it however you want but if he has control or final say over personnel matters look out. I am sure any Bears fan will tell you the same thing.

I won't blast you for telling us like it is...thanks for the heads up! I just hope that Wilf doesn't wait as long as Huizenga did to give him the boot if he screws up...now that would be STUPID!!!

FuadFan
05-31-2006, 09:54 PM
Once you get over the Feeley trade I don't see what the problems are with him he is a veteran at what he does and the Bears, Lions, and Dolphins were hardly in a position to be playoff teams regardless of what he could do.Our roster is already set and our head coach already choose to send the equivalent of a second round pick to get his own choice at QB.

JDogg926
05-31-2006, 10:12 PM
"DolFan1971" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

Yeah they are brothers.

If this guy's Spielman's brother, and this isn't much of a basis on which to judge him, I think he'll be alright. I think the Ricky Williams thing was the main cause for Miami's 4-12 season. Yes, you could argue, rather than relying on the the running game and one workhorse back, maybe he should have done a better job providing depth and better players for a passing game, but the coach also lost control of that team, similar to Denny in his last year with Minnesota. It's not all about personnel, it's also about execution, hard work, etc.

DolFan1971
05-31-2006, 10:33 PM
<<<I won't blast you for telling us like it is...thanks for the heads up! I just hope that Wilf doesn't wait as long as Huizenga did to give him the boot if he screws up...now that would be STUPID!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks and I hope not also for your guys sake. However I must admit I was as suprised as anybody when I heard speildork got a VP of personnel job with any club much less the Vikings. If it was up to me he wouldn't VP in a pony league team.

RK.
05-31-2006, 10:42 PM
"DolFan1971" wrote:

<<<I won't blast you for telling us like it is...thanks for the heads up! I just hope that Wilf doesn't wait as long as Huizenga did to give him the boot if he screws up...now that would be STUPID!!!
Thanks and I hope not also for your guys sake. However I must admit I was as suprised as anybody when I heard speildork got a VP of personnel job with any club much less the Vikings. If it was up to me he wouldn't VP in a pony league team.
Well I hope your new GM puts together a hell of an O line for you guys because if not you will get to see small hands Culpeper fumble away your playoff dreams for you. :wink:

DolFan1971
05-31-2006, 10:50 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

Once you get over the Feeley trade I don't see what the problems are with him he is a veteran at what he does and the Bears, Lions, and Dolphins were hardly in a position to be playoff teams regardless of what he could do.Our roster is already set and our head coach already choose to send the equivalent of a second round pick to get his own choice at QB.
Its much more than just the feelme trade. Look at speildorks track record in the draft and FA as far back as the Bears. He was instrumental in getting QB Rick Mirer from Seattle for a 1st and 4th round pick. I did some research on both wannsuck and speildork when JJ bailed on us and Mr. H. basically handed the reins of the Phins to these two. I was worried wether or not the Phins would succeed under their leadership. I hoped they would but time and history showed otherwise. I guess I am saying just don't be too disappointed if speildork screws your team up. The only way the Vikings will be safe from him is if he does not have control or final say over personel matters.

boognish
05-31-2006, 10:56 PM
"RK." wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

Well I hope your new GM puts together a hell of an O line for you guys because if not you will get to see small hands Culpeper fumble away your playoff dreams for you. :wink:

LOL.. exactly what I was thinking. These Phins fans should worry about their own anemic roster, instead of worrying about our front office. Gus Ferotte is giong to look like a star when compared to the dopey, interception/fumble machine known as Dainty Culpecker.

ejmat
06-01-2006, 03:39 AM
I agree with every Dolphin fan that has posted here. I know this too as I lived in the Ft Lauderdale area up until last August and saw what this guy did to the team. He has done nothing good. Being somewhat of a Phin fan myself (exxcept when they play the Vikes) I watched him bring a solid contender to a nothing.

singersp
06-01-2006, 04:05 AM
From what I've been reading, we got ourselves another loser.

Can't wait until next years draft. :roll:

What I find odd is Wilf hired this guy out of the clear blue. I don't recall any mention of any other names for a replacement prior to his hiring, with the exception of Studwell.

Sounds to me like he hired the 1st guy he came across.

packerkiller
06-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Muggsy
Jailhouse Insider

Please learn how to spell its THE not DA and THIS not DIS

singersp
06-01-2006, 04:51 AM
"packerkiller" wrote:

Muggsy
Jailhouse Insider

Not a good 1st post packerkiller.

1. Welcome to the site! :cheers:

2. We do not correct people on or make fun of their spelling or grammer errors on this site. It's a big no-no. (The exception is trolls when merited)

3. That's Mugsy's writing style & it is intentionally written that way. He does know how to spell. :wink:

boognish
06-01-2006, 05:02 AM
"packerkiller" wrote:

Muggsy
Jailhouse Insider

Lighten up killer; did you see Mugsy's photo under his name? He's a kickback from another era and he's one tough mofo. I, for one, really appreciate his style. Go watch a couple of old gangster movies and get back to us on this one.

Keep up the good work Mugs.

P.S. Keep the faith; Zygi won't give Spielman enough power to screw things up.

boognish
06-01-2006, 05:03 AM
"packerkiller" wrote:

Muggsy
Jailhouse Insider

Lighten up killer; did you see Muggsy's photo under his name? He's a kickback from another era and he's one tough mofo. I, for one, really appreciate his style. Go watch a couple of old gangster movies and get back to us on this one.

Keep up the good work Mugs.

P.S. Keep the faith; Zygi won't give Spielman enough power to screw things up.

Muggsy
06-01-2006, 05:19 AM
"packerkiller" wrote:

Muggsy
Jailhouse Insider

Hey, sorry 'bout dat, pk. I'll try an do what youse says, y'know? But, da guards don't let me inta da library no more since I tried to tunnel outta dere once.

Vikes_King
06-01-2006, 05:53 AM
packerkiller, i personally dont like the little preppy white kids that say "dis and dat" etc, but you dont even know shit about muggsy and you're smarting off to him your first post here...gtfo

<3 muggsy

MaddenVodkaAddict
06-01-2006, 06:02 AM
"packerkiller" wrote:

Muggsy
Jailhouse Insider

I apologize sir, but the correct spelling in your post should be "it's" rather than "its", as "its" demonstrates possession whereas "it's" is a contraction for "it is". Anyway, sir, please allow yourself to enjoy the site.

cajunvike
06-01-2006, 06:11 AM
"packerkiller" wrote:

Muggsy
Jailhouse Insider

Watch your step, waterboy...you never know where the doo doo is on this site! We take care of our own...and the difference between a troll and an uninformed member can be very slight the first couple of weeks.

But for now, we give you the benefit of the doubt...so welcome aboard and enjoy your time here on the site!

Go on over to the Free Beer forum and properly introduce yourself (i.e., create a thread and tell us something about yourself)...and our Official Beer Distributor will come along and gift you with a Virtual Beer or three!

Mr. Purple
06-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Well its days later and I'm still on the fence about this move. I havnt posted on it just becuz I dont kno what the heck to say.I guess time will tell if it was a good choice. I have faith in our orginization.I wish Foley wouldnt have lied and messed up the flow of the new committie.

Odin VAVikefan
06-01-2006, 08:09 AM
"Property0f" wrote:

His professional experience already has Spielman familiar with the NFC North as he spent his opening 10 years in the profession with Detroit (1990-96) and Chicago (1997-99) before spending five seasons in Miami (2000-04).

Hate to say it, but even looking past the trail of bad personnel moves the Dolphins made under his tenure, one look at his timespans with his former teams shows me periods when those teams were each more or less unable to seriously compete at all.

(If this has already been said, I apologize; don't have time to read the whole thread).

V-Unit
06-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Actually after thinking about this a little, I'm glad about the hiring. It gives me hope. Hope that I will someday be a part of the Vikings Front Office, because Wilf is fine with signing just about anybody, maybe even a random fan off of the streets. Is anyone else in the same boat? I'm going to Winter Park tommorow to see if I can get me a job!

Odin VAVikefan
06-01-2006, 10:46 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

Actually after thinking about this a little, I'm glad about the hiring. It gives me hope. Hope that I will someday be a part of the Vikings Front Office, because Wilf is fine with signing just about anybody, maybe even a random fan off of the streets. Is anyone else in the same boat? I'm going to Winter Park tommorow to see if I can get me a job!

:lol: First come first served at Winter Park, apparently.

I've liked some of our offseason moves, but overall I'm still very, very "wait and see" about Wilf and Childress.

singersp
06-01-2006, 12:48 PM
From KFFL;

Vikings | Childress the only one who can overrule Spielman
Wed, 31 May 2006 21:13:21 -0700

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings still don't have a general manager, but it's obvious that new vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman will be overruled only by head coach Brad Childress when it comes to players the team adds to the roster.

Director of college scouting Scott Studwell and all the scouts will be under the supervision of Spielman. Spielman and Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski are also longtime friends. Brzezinski will continue to concentrate on the salary cap and the signing of players.

vike_mike
06-01-2006, 12:52 PM
I want to be optimistic, but doesn't seem like we keep getting in our own way? I don't understand why Scott Studwell wasn't made VP. I just don't understand. I can only hope that the decision turns out to be a good one. It had better. This regime is in serious trouble if it doesn't pan out.

whackthepack
06-01-2006, 03:33 PM
"vike_mike" wrote:

I want to be optimistic, but doesn't seem like we keep getting in our own way? I don't understand why Scott Studwell wasn't made VP. I just don't understand. I can only hope that the decision turns out to be a good one. It had better. This regime is in serious trouble if it doesn't pan out.

He did not want the job, he said he wanted to head the college scouting department.

COJOMAY
06-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Looks as if Vikings have hired anti-Fran
http://www.startribune.com/101/story/466014.html
Mark Craig

The NFL, the Vikings and the attorney for ousted Vice President of Player Personnel Fran Foley have reached an agreement.

Not a settlement. An agreement.

"We have reached an agreement not to comment at this time," said the attorney, Jeffrey Kessler.

If only the NFL could sew that into its game balls. And, while we're at it, league spokesman Greg Aiello could save everyone a lot of time if all incoming calls from the 612 area code were funneled into a friendly recording that said, "The NFL is monitoring the investigation..."

In the NFL, the ability to speak with a smile while revealing as little as possible is a bullet point for the résumé. Until Rick Spielman, VP of player personnel Take 2, arrived Tuesday with his "I'm not Fran Foley" subliminal transmitter, the Vikings had no one to fill this role.

Watching owner Zygi Wilf speak publicly causes flashbacks to ninth-grade Earth science. I swear I hear crickets when he cracks a joke.

Then there's coach Brad Childress and Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski. Nice enough guys, but basically they treat the media the way I do when the in-laws visit: Run upstairs and wait for them to leave.

And we all know how low Foley set the bar as a team spokesman. I'm not a PR expert, but I'm pretty sure it's not a good thing to invite people to your introductory news conference and then tell them in a gruff, condescending manner that you're a very busy man who doesn't have time for this. (We would say he's had plenty of time since May 3, but that would be mean.)

Who knows if Spielman will be any better at his job than Foley was? But the Vikings can rest easy from a PR standpoint, which is no easy feat for these fellows.

Spielman spent 15 years in NFL front offices and the last year polishing an already shiny disposition at ESPN. No one who has done that is going to go Fran Foley in front of the camera or behind the scenes, where Fran scored low marks for his ability to play nice with others.

As an ESPN.com columnist, Spielman used his insight to teach the reader, but wasn't critical of his former peers. Once, in his lead, he asked, "Are the Bengals for real?" He went on for about 20 inches and never answered his question. As a writer, Spielman was the first to admit he's clearly back where he belongs, which is making news from inside the NFL.

No one at Winter Park will come out and say it, but no player will enter the building without Childress' stamp of approval. But that doesn't mean Spielman won't serve an important role.

In New England, coach Bill Belichick runs the show, but Vice President of Player Personnel Scott Pioli is vital because he finds the exact players he knows Belichick prefers. It's efficient and there's enough kudos to go around if a team wins three Super Bowls in four years.

Spielman's track record as a top personnel guy is about 50-50. Nothing great. But no Herschel Walker deals either. Taking Chris Chambers in the second round in 2001 in Miami was a good thing. Trading one of Miami's second-round picks to Philly for A.J. Feeley wasn't so good.

Spielman was criticized for the Dolphins' 4-12 record in 2004, his only season as a general manager. But we'll give him a mulligan on that one. Lombardi's Packers couldn't have sustained Ricky Williams retiring on the eve of training camp before the NFL weed police caught up to him.

There's another role Spielman might be able to fill with the Vikings: face of the team. Or at least the voice of the team.

Philadelphia, where Childress developed into a top assistant, has a setup the Vikings might be trying to duplicate. Eagles head coach Andy Reid doesn't like the spotlight, so many times Tom Heckert, who was vice president of player personnel before being promoted to GM in January, got the team's message out to the public.

So, whaddaya think, Rick?

"I think everything will evolve in time," he said. Then he broke into a smile and started laughing. "Right now," he said, "I'm just trying to get to my desk and unpack a few boxes."

Smooth. NFL smooth.

COJOMAY
06-01-2006, 03:47 PM
More from Sid Hartman's article on Spielman:

The Wilfs must finally have decided they needed somebody to take over. The only mistake they made is not hiring Rick Spielman in the first place.

The Vikings still don't have a general manager, like many teams do, but it's obvious that new Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman will be overruled only by coach Brad Childress when it comes to players the team adds to the roster.

Director of College Scouting Scott Studwell and all the scouts will be under the supervision of Spielman.

However, Spielman and Studwell are longtime friends, so look for Spielman to continue to allow Studwell to do what he has done very well in the past.

Originally, owner Zygi Wilf and his brother, Mark, were going to wait before replacing Fran Foley. But they must have finally decided they needed somebody to take charge.

"I think he's a team player, I think he has tremendous skills in terms of evaluation, and he fits well into what we want to be about," Zygi Wilf said of Spielman on Wednesday.

There is no doubt Spielman will fit better in the organization than Foley did in the short period he worked for the Vikings before being fired. Foley apparently didn't get along with anybody. The only mistake the Wilfs made is not hiring Spielman in the first place.

Spielman and Vice President of Football Operations Rob Brzezinski are also longtime friends. Brzezinski will continue to concentrate on the salary cap and the signing of players.

Spielman has been great with handling people wherever he has worked -- including the Lions, Bears and Dolphins.

While the Vikings currently are $12 million under the salary cap, with about $2 million needed to sign draft choices, apparently there aren't any plans to sign more players.

Work on football

"Well, the stadium thing is over right now, but we're going to revisit it next year, and next session, but in the meantime, yes, we're going to really concentrate on football, as we have been doing," Zygi Wilf said. "I am going to free my time up to be able to spend more time on the football side of everything."

Wilf made it clear Blaine is still No. 1 in his stadium plans, and that he wants a roof on the proposed stadium.

Meanwhile, Spielman said Wednesday that Paul Wiggin and Jeff Robinson, whose contracts expired this week, will be back with the team. Wiggin is a senior consultant on pro personnel, and Robinson is coordinator of pro personnel.

Jerry Reichow, a former Vikings player and longtime scout, is expected to retire, while Frank Gilliam, a regional scout and consultant, has signed a contract for another year.

COJOMAY
06-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Building consensus

BY DON SEEHOLZER
Pioneer Press
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14702869.htm

So who is Rick Spielman?

The more relevant answer at the moment is who the Vikings' new vice president of player personnel apparently isn't.

Based on Tuesday's introductory news conference and the early reviews, Spielman is someone who can be expected to work well with coach Brad Childress and other members of the front office in a shared power arrangement.

Details of exactly how that will work weren't forthcoming Tuesday, but Spielman arrives with a reputation as the anti-Fran Foley, who was hired to the same position in January but was fired three months later because of an embellished résumé and what sources have said was an abrasive personality that led to confrontations with Childress and other members of the organization.

Spielman, who signed a three-year contract, went to great lengths to praise Childress and emphasize that any major decisions would be made by consensus with the greater good of the team in mind.

"Without getting into the front-office standpoint as far as how everything is going to work, I will be running the personnel side," he said. "Coach will be running the coach's side, (director of college scouting) Scott Studwell will be running the college draft, and then we will work together to come up with what's the best for this organization."

That could signal an end to the Vikings' so-called Triangle of Authority, in which Foley, Childress and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski were supposed to operate on a separate-but-equal footing, with Foley having the final decision in personnel areas such as draft choices.

The Vikings didn't make Childress or Brzezinski available for comment Tuesday, and Wilf was out of town, confining his remarks to a team statement in which he said: "We are extremely excited to hire Rick. … We are impressed with Rick's expertise, passion, character and work ethic."

Spielman, who has 15 seasons of NFL personnel experience with Chicago, Detroit and Miami, had highlights and lowlights during his five seasons with the Dolphins. League reaction to the hire, though, was generally positive.

"Rick is a good guy," said former Atlanta and Jacksonville personnel director Ron Hill, like Spielman one of seven candidates to interview for the Vikings' position the first time around. "He'll do a good job for them. He's been in the league a long time. He and Brzezinski have a relationship, having both worked at Miami, so he'll have that going for him walking into the building."

Former Atlanta and Green Bay personnel executive Ken Herock was even more effusive.

"Good hire," he said. "He has experience. He's a hard worker. I know the guy. He's one of those guys who comes to work at 6 in the morning and closes the place down. He's also the kind of guy who works well with people."

Spielman, 43, had some draft hits during his five seasons (2000-04) with the Dolphins, selecting Pro Bowl receiver Chris Chambers in the second round in 2001 and tight end Randy McMichael in the fourth round the next year.

But he also missed badly on first-round cornerback Jamar Fletcher in 2001 and was widely criticized for two 2004 trades: a swap in which he sent Pro Bowl defensive end Adewale Ogunleye to Chicago for receiver Marty Booker and a disastrous deal in which he sent a second-round 2005 draft choice to Philadelphia for quarterback A.J. Feeley.

Spielman was No. 2 to coach Dave Wannstedt in personnel decisions for all but the last of those seasons, when he was promoted to general manager, but after a 4-12 finish in 2004 he followed Wannstedt out the door last June and has been working since as an NFL analyst for ESPN.

Herock believes Spielman is a much better hire, though, than Foley, who was No. 3 on San Diego's personnel depth chart when he joined the Vikings and had never run a draft war room.

"Much more solid," Herock said. "This guy has been there. He knows how to set up and run a draft. The Vikings are better off now, making the hire they did. It'll establish more credibility."

Spielman wouldn't discuss the timing of his hiring by the Vikings, and it's not known how many other candidates they might have interviewed.

The brother of former Detroit and Buffalo linebacker Chris Spielman did say he thought the Vikings did a good job of addressing their needs in the offseason and that he is excited to be getting back to his element after his brief stint in the media.

Spielman said he will remain in Minnesota for the next two weeks and that his first order of business will be putting his Davie, Fla., house on the market and buying one here this weekend.

COJOMAY
06-01-2006, 03:52 PM
New executive has OK résumé
TOM POWERS
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14702872.htm
Rick Spielman has a couple of things going for him as the Vikings' new vice president of player personnel. First, his résumé is easily verifiable. Second, he isn't exactly following a legend.

And after dealing with Ricky Williams in Miami, he is uniquely prepared to communicate with some of the goofballs the Vikings tend to produce.

Spielman is a safe choice. And that's what the organization needs right now: plain vanilla. There's never a surprise with vanilla. There's never any controversy with vanilla. You're rarely embarrassed ordering a scoop of vanilla.

The addition of Spielman also reinflates the Vikings' famous Triangle of Authority, which collapsed after Fran Foley was given the New Jersey salute last month.

"I was on the outside and looked at this Triangle of Authority," Spielman said. "I think that was something the media labeled on this thing. I don't think there's a Triangle of Authority."

Well, that's a term that Zygi — Mr. Wilf to you, Rick — first used. So you might want to get used to the geometric reference.

It's usually safe to assume that anyone hired by the Vikings has a fatal flaw. It's just a matter of when it becomes manifest to the public. So maybe this fellow once went on a baby seal hunt in the Bering Strait or forgot to genuflect before reading from the Vikings Code of Conduct.

Or maybe — God help me, experience tells me I'm going to regret saying this — the Vikings actually stumbled onto the right guy for this particular job.

Spielman has been around front offices long enough to be part of the insiders network. His track record as a personnel director is... OK. He made some good moves and some bad ones in Miami. But at least he has a track record. Besides, he is not going to be asked to reinvent the wheel this season. Most of the heavy lifting already has been done.

Prophet
06-01-2006, 03:57 PM
COJ, meet Bill :lol:

http://purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22997&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Click on Bill’s face
http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/callingtheshots/images/groundhog_day.jpg (http://www.linuxbench.org/Posting.html)

COJOMAY
06-01-2006, 04:00 PM
Prophet:
I checked that thread and none of this information was in that thread that I could find.

Prophet
06-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I'm not saying it was. The powers that be prefer to have a single thread discussing the topic rather than a splattering of threads.

Besides, I haven't used the 'groundhog day' icon yet today and you gave me the perfect opportunity.

jdvike
06-01-2006, 04:16 PM
There is no doubt Spielman will fit better in the organization than Foley did in the short period he worked for the Vikings before being fired.

Better than Foley doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement :roll:

What would we do if our beloved Vikings didn't give us something to piss and moan about :wink:

DolFan1971
06-01-2006, 04:32 PM
"RK." wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

Our O-line should be ok, we got a great FA pickup in Shelton and Houke had the o-line playing pretty good in the latter part of the season. I would rather have Culpepper fumbling the ball than feelme or feebler throwing easy pick sixes for defenses. Culpepper was a huge upgrade over the Qbs we had since Marino retired, I can't honestly say speildork is an upgrade over what you had before him.

However its out of our control either way so heres hoping both Culpepper and speildork go above a beyond for our teams. Time will tell.

DolFan1971
06-01-2006, 04:38 PM
"boognish" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

LOL.. exactly what I was thinking. These Phins fans should worry about their own anemic roster, instead of worrying about our front office. Gus Ferotte is giong to look like a star when compared to the dopey, interception/fumble machine known as Dainty Culpecker.
I know I risked some critisism for coming here and trying to let you guys know who you had in speildork, we had viking trolls come to our board and trash Culpepper. However my intent is not to troll but just to inform, forwarned is forarmed so just don't be too critical of speildork when he screws up your trade and FA deals with the wrong guys, he can't help it.

Beleive me I am concerned about the holes my team still has but am confident Saban will get us back in SB contention, a place we haven't been since the early to mid 80s.

boognish
06-01-2006, 04:43 PM
"DolFan1971" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

Our O-line should be ok, we got a great FA pickup in Shelton and Houke had the o-line playing pretty good in the latter part of the season. I would rather have Culpepper fumbling the ball than feelme or feebler throwing easy pick sixes for defenses. Culpepper was a huge upgrade over the Qbs we had since Marino retired, I can't honestly say speildork is an upgrade over what you had before him.

However its out of our control either way so heres hoping both Culpepper and speildork go above a beyond for our teams. Time will tell.

Culpecker is pretty good at throwing INT's too. Never underestimate his ability to choke when the game is on the line. He used to play well when the game was in hand, but I'm not sure he ever led the team to a comeback victory. IF he returns to form (which is a big if), he'll be a stat machine for you...no more, no less. The guy definitely isn't a leader. It's arguable whether or not he's an upgrade over Ferotte.

If I were you, I'd be praying that Joey blossoms in a new system and fulfills all that potential he showed in college. His upside is much greater than Dainty's.

Top_Speed
06-01-2006, 05:40 PM
"DolFan1971" wrote:

"boognish" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

I know I risked some critisism for coming here and trying to let you guys know who you had in speildork, we had viking trolls come to our board and trash Culpepper. However my intent is not to troll but just to inform, forwarned is forarmed so just don't be too critical of speildork when he screws up your trade and FA deals with the wrong guys, he can't help it.

Beleive me I am concerned about the holes my team still has but am confident Saban will get us back in SB contention, a place we haven't been since the early to mid 80s.

You sound like a descent guy. I won't bash Pepp, actually loved his play 2 to 3 seasons ago (but then again he did have his safety blanket in Moss).

I think (if he's recovered like they say) he will upgrade the Dolphins O big time. If the Vikes aren't on at the time the phins are... I'll be checking him out (can't lie!) Good luck!

DCPologirl
06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
"Caine" wrote:

Not real knowledgable about Mr. Spielman....but none of the initial information is encouraging. I wonder, did Zygi hire this guy simply to hire someone?

Zygi, you're starting to worry me....you really are.

Caine

me too :evil:

DolFan1971
06-01-2006, 06:32 PM
"boognish" wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

Culpecker is pretty good at throwing INT's too. Never underestimate his ability to choke when the game is on the line. He used to play well when the game was in hand, but I'm not sure he ever led the team to a comeback victory. IF he returns to form (which is a big if), he'll be a stat machine for you...no more, no less. The guy definitely isn't a leader. It's arguable whether or not he's an upgrade over Ferotte.

If I were you, I'd be praying that Joey blossoms in a new system and fulfills all that potential he showed in college. His upside is much greater than Dainty's.
Marino was a stat machine for us too, the difference was most of Marino's career we had neither a running game nor a defense so we basically wasted those years with Marino. If Culpepper is a stat machine he should do ok as we now have a running game and a pretty decent defense. I understand Culpepper has a huge leadership question mark and does not make the best decisions with the ball at times, but neither did frerrote or any other QB we had since Marino. Perhaps C'pepe can can improve his leadership and ball handling skills. His knee is also still a question mark as well however reports have him ahead of schedule and he is running and starting to make some small cuts working out. I still am not sure if he will be ready by the season opener or not. Harrington is a question mark also but I will still take both over frerrote and feelme. From what I have heard about your former personnel man I gather you would take speilman over him as well.

Like I said before we are both stuck with what we have so I hope all works out.

DolFan1971
06-01-2006, 06:58 PM
"Top_Speed" wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

"boognish" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

You sound like a descent guy. I won't bash Pepp, actually loved his play 2 to 3 seasons ago (but then again he did have his safety blanket in Moss).

I think (if he's recovered like they say) he will upgrade the Dolphins O big time. If the Vikes aren't on at the time the phins are... I'll be checking him out (can't lie!) Good luck!
Thanks Top Speed I really appriciate that. :grin:

whackthepack
06-01-2006, 07:20 PM
"DolFan1971" wrote:

"boognish" wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

Marino was a stat machine for us too, the difference was most of Marino's career we had neither a running game nor a defense so we basically wasted those years with Marino. If Culpepper is a stat machine he should do ok as we now have a running game and a pretty decent defense. I understand Culpepper has a huge leadership question mark and does not make the best decisions with the ball at times, but neither did frerrote or any other QB we had since Marino. Perhaps C'pepe can can improve his leadership and ball handling skills. His knee is also still a question mark as well however reports have him ahead of schedule and he is running and starting to make some small cuts working out. I still am not sure if he will be ready by the season opener or not. Harrington is a question mark also but I will still take both over frerrote and feelme. From what I have heard about your former personnel man I gather you would take speilman over him as well.

Ferotte was with the Vikes before the Phins signed him as a FA, when Daunte got hurt during the 2003 season Ferrote came in and ran the offense better than Daunte had for 3 games.

Not trying to jerk your chain or make you feel bad but that is what happened and a lot of people wanted Ferotte to remain the starter, I was not one of them as I figured C-pep had the best upside!

DarrinNelsonguy
06-01-2006, 07:22 PM
Spielman was on PA and Dubay (KFAN radio) today and he seems like he is very down to earth and a team player whos only goal is to win a championship here in MN. I think he should have got the job to begin with due to his 15 years of experience.

cajunvike
06-01-2006, 07:47 PM
"boognish" wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

Vikings vs. Packers, Metrodome, last season...I witnessed it live and in person. But the flops do far outweigh the comebacks for Pep...I hope he does well...but I also hope that we do even better...so he regrets forcing the Vikings hand on this issue.

DolFan1971
06-01-2006, 10:31 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

"boognish" wrote:

"DolFan1971" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

Ferotte was with the Vikes before the Phins signed him as a FA, when Daunte got hurt during the 2003 season Ferrote came in and ran the offense better than Daunte had for 3 games.

Not trying to jerk your chain or make you feel bad but that is what happened and a lot of people wanted Ferotte to remain the starter, I was not one of them as I figured C-pep had the best upside!
I understand what you're saying. Frerrote was our starter all last season under Linehan's system, the same basic one he knew while with the Vikings. For half of Frerrotes games he looked really good and had nice QB ratings, for the other half he was god awful and posted terrible QB ratings. That's Gus and is why he has been a journeyman QB his entire career. C'pep basically had one lousey year in his career and his numbers look a whole lot better than the ferrets. I am not advocating C'pep will be another Marino, but I think the passing game has been upgraded over what it was. C'pep is way more mobile than Gus and more accurate down field in my opinion. I know the few games my Phins played your Viking when C'pep was Qb he always gave us fits with both his arm and legs.

cajunvike
06-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Quoted from the Mark Craig article on the PP.O Main Page:

"Spielman's track record as a top personnel guy is about 50-50. Nothing great. But no Herschel Walker deals either. Taking Chris Chambers in the second round in 2001 in Miami was a good thing. Trading one of Miami's second-round picks to Philly for A.J. Feeley wasn't so good.

Spielman was criticized for the Dolphins' 4-12 record in 2004, his only season as a general manager. But we'll give him a mulligan on that one. Lombardi's Packers couldn't have sustained Ricky Williams retiring on the eve of training camp before the NFL weed police caught up to him."

At least he's not as bad as Mike Lynn was. *shudder*

singersp
06-02-2006, 01:43 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Prophet:
I checked that thread and none of this information was in that thread that I could find.

LMAO Cojo! "Building Concensus" was posted yesterday. You even commented on two quotes from it yesterday! (See pg. 4)

I hope your not getting senile on us! :grin: J/K

DolFan1971
06-02-2006, 02:51 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Quoted from the Mark Craig article on the PP.O Main Page:

"Spielman's track record as a top personnel guy is about 50-50. Nothing great. But no Herschel Walker deals either. Taking Chris Chambers in the second round in 2001 in Miami was a good thing. Trading one of Miami's second-round picks to Philly for A.J. Feeley wasn't so good.

Spielman was criticized for the Dolphins' 4-12 record in 2004, his only season as a general manager. But we'll give him a mulligan on that one. Lombardi's Packers couldn't have sustained Ricky Williams retiring on the eve of training camp before the NFL weed police caught up to him."

At least he's not as bad as Mike Lynn was. *shudder*
Speilman isn't a bad guy, he just doesn't make the most prudent decisions with personnel. For the life of me I willl never understand trades like Feeley and Mirer. Feeley was basically an untested third string QB on Philly when Speilman traded away our number two pick for him. He advised wanny on draft and personnel moves the whole five years these two were with the Phins and wanny often went with his recomendations. Taking Jamar Fletcher and passing on much better players is the usual result of their drafts. In the five season they picked drafts we only have two starters on the team which isn't very impressive.

By comparison in Saban's first draft in 2005 we have Ronnie Brown starting 14 games last year. Channing Crowder and Travis Daniels played in all 16 games last year and are first on the depth chart so both should start this year. Matt Roth also has the potential of being a starter. Had Speilaman and Wanny not traded away most of our picks every year on bust FA's and knew how to draft maybe we would be a playoff team and they would still have jobs with the Phins.

It looks like perhaps your owner will not allow speilman the power he had in Miami and if that is the case you may be ok. But like I said before his personnel track record is a poor one and if he does get total control/final decision on personnel matters look out.

twill
06-02-2006, 06:34 PM
speilman might not be a bad guy, but some of things that has happened and the guys hes picked up were huge question marks. i personally would of liked to see the guy from denver or jaq. i live in miami, and whenever u bring this guys name up over here, u can see the anger in peoples faces.

DolFan1971
06-02-2006, 06:52 PM
"twill" wrote:

speilman might not be a bad guy, but some of things that has happened and the guys hes picked up were huge question marks. i personally would of liked to see the guy from denver or jaq. i live in miami, and whenever u bring this guys name up over here, u can see the anger in peoples faces.
I know what you mean, DolFans are still steaming over both wanny and speilman. I know I am :mad:

COJOMAY
06-02-2006, 07:19 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

Prophet:

LMAO Cojo! "Building Concensus" was posted yesterday. You even commented on two quotes from it yesterday! (See pg. 4)

I hope your not getting senile on us! :grin: J/K
I was talking about the "Anti-Fran" article that I posted as the first one on that thread.

singersp
06-05-2006, 05:00 AM
Vikings continue to bumble with GM hire

Team's hiring of Spielman perplexing, considering his sub-par track record

NBCSports.com contributor
Updated: 1 hour, 15 minutes ago

Two men were recently up for a job with an NFL team.

The first man interviewed with the team twice. He was one of two men who got the privilege of a second interview. He has spent 16 years in the personnel side of the business, working for three teams.

During that time, the teams he worked for compiled a record of 142-114, went to the playoffs nine times, won five division titles, won seven playoffs and made the Super Bowl once. In his most recent year on the job, his team was 12-4 and made the playoffs.

The second man interviewed with the team once, coming into the process late after a snafu that had nothing to do with him. He has spent 15 years in the personnel side of the business, working for three teams.

During that time, the teams he worked for compiled a record of 116-124, went to the playoffs six times, won three division titles, won two playoff games and never even made a conference championship game. In his most recent year on the job, his team was 4-12 and put together one of the most embarrassing seasons in the history over the franchise.

The first man is Charlie Bailey, who runs pro personnel with Jacksonville. The second man is Rick Spielman, late of ESPN and who is now the GM of the Minnesota Vikings. Spielman was hired this week by Minnesota after it endured the entire Fran Foley resume fiasco.

While some people in NFL circles will tell you that the list of candidates for the job wasn’t particularly strong (up-and-coming Eagles personnel man Jason Licht wouldn’t touch the job), when you look at Bailey vs. Spielman, the decision to hire Spielman is simply dumbfounding.

Certainly to John Wooten, who is the head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which promotes minority hiring. Three weeks ago, Wooten thought the hiring of Bailey, who is black, was a foregone conclusion.

“Heck, Charlie deserved that job over Fran Foley, no question,” Wooten said, referring to the original process. “When they told us it was Fran Foley getting the job, we were shocked. I was thinking to myself, ‘What is that?’ Fran Foley has never even put together a draft board.”

Foley, who is a good man, unfortunately hadn’t done a lot of things he claimed, which triggered this mess. However, now that he was out, Wooten simply assumed that Bailey was next in line.

Funny thing is that the Vikings never even picked up a line to call Bailey after the Foley mess. Instead, they went with Spielman, who happens to be close with Minnesota President Rob Brzezinski from their days together in Miami.

While it’s tempting to invoke race into this story, it’s not even relevant. The bottom line is this: Bailey, who has his detractors, is simply better than Spielman when you put the resumes next to each other.

Examine it further, and the gap is wider.

Fortunately for the Vikings, Spielman will not have final say over personnel decision. That’s because he’s terrible at that.

In his one year as GM of the Dolphins in 2004, Spielman personally set the Dolphins back for years. He traded a second-round pick for quarterback A.J. Feeley, who proceeded to help the 2004 Dolphins set an NFL record for most interceptions returned for touchdowns.

Spielman traded a third-round pick Lamar Gordon, who played two games in 2004 before getting hurt. OK, that happens. But Gordon was so bad in training camp in 2005 that the Dolphins couldn’t even trade him for a seventh-round pick and had to cut him.

Spielman traded Pro Bowl defensive end Adewale Ogunleye to Chicago for wide receiver Marty Booker and a third-round pick when he couldn’t get Ogunleye signed. Right now, the Dolphins are trying to upgrade on Booker and the third-round pick was essentially later traded for Gordon.

Best of all, in the 2004 draft, Spielman got snookered by former Vikings coach Mike Tice. Tice convinced Spielman that the Dolphins needed to trade up one spot in the first round to grab right tackle Vernon Carey. Miami paid a fourth-round pick for the right to do that when no other team really wanted to trade up with the Vikings, who parlayed that extra pick into running back Mewelde Moore.

Spielman also was the point man on three other drafts with the Dolphins. Overall, his four drafts produced one Pro Bowl player, wide receiver Chris Chambers (Ogunleye was undrafted and was signed before Spielman got there). The rest is a litany of mediocrity, ranging from tight end Randy McMichael as the best pick to cornerback Jamar Fletcher as the consummate bust as a first-round pick.

That’s to say nothing of Spielman’s other foibles, such as his lack of vision to get players such as Ogunleye, right tackle Todd Wade and kicker Olindo Mare signed to extensions before they hit unrestricted free agency.

In fact, there was a great moment regarding Mare in the 2001 season. As Mare was on his way to his second year making at least 90 percent of his field to go with his strong kickoff and onside ability, Spielman was asked what he would do to sign the best all-around kicker in the game at the time?

“Who says Mare is that good?” Spielman said, rhetorically. Eventually, the Dolphins did because Mare became the highest paid kicker in the NFL after that season.

Spielman had a knack with the Dolphins for angering his players. He once told linebacker Zach Thomas that Thomas was “overrated.” At least that’s how Thomas put it. Other players thought Spielman was just oddly confrontational.

During his year with ESPN, fans constantly ripped Spielman and his “analysis” of the draft this year was often show-stopping because of how inane it sounded.

This week, after getting hired, Spielman even started to stretch the truth, a la Foley. He said that after the 2004 season, new Vikings coach Brad Childress was among the people the Dolphins were considering before they hired Nick Saban.

That’s interesting since Spielman had nothing to do with the hiring process. That was done completely by owner Wayne Huizenga and then-President Eddie Jones.

Yet this is the guy the Vikings hire rather than Bailey?

Again, this is not about race, even if it could be. It’s just looking at the facts. Again, Bailey has his detractors. One person who worked with Bailey said Bailey simply didn’t work that hard and others with knowledge of the business agreed that sometimes Bailey only goes through the motions.

By contrast, Spielman will impress with his tireless work ethic. He loves to travel to do his own scouting. He will watch practice and tape till the wee hours. He even loves to warm up with the players before games by throwing passes during drills, which is again pretty odd.

But as the saying goes, don’t confuse activity with achievement. In this case, the resumes prove that. The Vikings chose a guy who had achieved a lot less in his career and that’s just weird.

This and that

Now, to the race issue on this matter: Wooten said he started to get concerned about Bailey’s chances for the job when he read a quote from Vikings owner Zygi Wilf last month. Wilf, according to Wooten, essentially said he was going to “go with his gut feelings” this time around. As Wooten, a long-time former NFL personnel man, said: “Gut feeling usually goes against minorities in this business.” Wooten added later in the conversation: “This is an example of the inner-circle initiative we talk about in trying to get guys interviews. The way it works if minorities don’t get a chance, guys get two and three chances to accomplish absolutely nothing. That’s why it’s frustrating.”

Teams looking for linebackers may have a couple of interesting choices in the supplemental draft that will be held in July. Aside from former Virginia standout Ahmad Brooks, Jason Berryman of Iowa State and David Dixon of Hutchinson Community College are intriguing athletes. John Murphy of Next Level Scouting posted an extensive write up on all three and a couple of other players who figure to be eligible on his Web site and Yahoo.com. Look for the Dolphins, who still need a top-notch outside linebacker opposite Jason Taylor, to take a long look at Brooks, Berryman and Dixon.

The lunacy in Detroit under President Matt Millen continues after the Lions decided to give former Cleveland offensive lineman Ross Verba a five-year, $20 milllion deal that includes $4 million in the first year. Why? The Lions are swimming in cap room right now and basically can overpay for the little bit of talent that left on the free agent market. But giving Verba, a guy who has issues, anything more than the minimum is just silly. Verba didn’t play last season after buying his way out of his contract with Cleveland. In short, nobody wanted Verba that bad last year. Why did Detroit have to pay this year?

Jason Cole writes regularly for NBCSports.com and covers the NFL and the Dolphins for the Miami Herald.

Vikings continue to bumble with GM hire (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13137825/)

Muggsy
06-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Well, we're stuck wit' Spielman, so what does it matter, y'know?

Still, I wished we had gotten dat mug, Bailey. I wanted him all along, instead of Foley or Spielman.

Oh, well. It's Zygi's team. I hopes it all woiks out, y'know?

singersp
06-05-2006, 12:28 PM
"Muggsy" wrote:

Well, we're stuck wit' Spielman, so what does it matter, y'know?

Still, I wished we had gotten dat mug, Bailey. I wanted him all along, instead of Foley or Spielman.

Oh, well. It's Zygi's team. I hopes it all woiks out, y'know?

I didn't even know they were looking at Spielman, Bailey or anyone for the position.

The announcement that Spielman was hired was the first I had heard of it.

Prophet
06-07-2006, 01:02 AM
POSTED 9:40 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 1:09 p.m. EDT, June 6, 2006

KUHARICH WAS VIKES' FIRST SECOND CHOICE

A league source tells us that the Minnesota Vikings offered the position of V.P. of player personnel to Chiefs V.P. of player personnel Bill Kuharich before an offer was extended to Rick Spielman, who ultimately accepted the job after Fran Foley was fired.

Per the source, Kuharich decided against a lateral move to Minnesota. We're told that Kuharich enjoys his current situation in Kansas City, and that absent a bump to G.M. he wasn't inclined to leave.

In February, Kuharich was promoted into his current position. He previously served as V.P. of pro personnel with the Chiefs, and he has worked in the NFL for 20 years. His father, Joe, was the head coach at Notre Dame from 1959 through 1962.

twill
06-07-2006, 02:31 AM
im begining to think that zigi is a big idiot.. hes a giant fan, that is trying to do the right thing for this team but doesnt know what to do. if this guy sends the vikes back a couple years just like how he did the dolphins, then seriously not only speilman needs to go, but zigi does to

whackthepack
06-07-2006, 03:02 AM
"twill" wrote:

im begining to think that zigi is a big idiot.. hes a giant fan, that is trying to do the right thing for this team but doesnt know what to do. if this guy sends the vikes back a couple years just like how he did the dolphins, then seriously not only speilman needs to go, but zigi does to

One thing I would not call Zigi, and that is an idiot. He may need some time to get things down, but he took over a screwed up organization from Red and he has done a lot to get us on the right track.

He has fixed up Winter Park to the tune of around 5 million dollars, because Red had let it get so run down! Now we can have free agents that come here that don't laugh, the place did not even have air-conditioning.

He is trying to clean up the personnel side that had a new embarrassment every other week and make the players be responsible for their actions. He has pledged to spend the money that will bring a championship to Minnesota.

So Because he hired somebody that you have never met or spoken with that they liked, who has not done anything yet to be criticized for you think Wilf should leave town! If I have my choice you can leave town and he can stay!

jdvike
06-07-2006, 04:21 AM
ummmm if Wilf leaves town....so do the Vikings.
I agree with you whack

Ltrey33
06-07-2006, 04:54 AM
It's still depressing to see this thread title.

COJOMAY
06-07-2006, 05:25 AM
You need to read this article carefully to pick out the nuggest found within it.

Again, Bailey has his detractors. One person who worked with Bailey said Bailey simply didn’t work that hard and others with knowledge of the business agreed that sometimes Bailey only goes through the motions.

By contrast, Spielman will impress with his tireless work ethic. He loves to travel to do his own scouting. He will watch practice and tape till the wee hours.

Spielman will not have final say over personnel decision.

So here's what I get out of the article...Speilman is a hard worker and will have no control over the draft. He's a personnel man who will work with not only the players but all the personnal in the Vikings organization. Bailey, on the other hand is lazy and he only wants to work with players which Childress wants control over. (And can you blame him?)

Then of course, the article has to play the race card. How in the name of heaven can you tie this quote to not wanting to hire a black:
Wilf, according to Wooten, essentially said he was going to “go with his gut feelings” this time around. As Wooten, a long-time former NFL personnel man, said: “Gut feeling usually goes against minorities in this business.” Boy is that making a stretch in my esitmation.

I guessing there is far more to this than the writers know and again, I trust Wilf's business decisions. He hasn't made many poor ones and a TON opf good ones.

Purple Floyd
06-07-2006, 05:28 AM
I'm not convinced they hired the best guy available for the job, but I am going to reserve criticism until he has some time track record with the team before I pass judgement.

Remember, you can go through the past 20 drafts of the fins,lions and bears and find bad trades and picks even in the years he wasn't there. And their front office organization has not been good so he hasn't exactly been put in a position to succeed.

Plus, look at some of the trades and signings that we have had in the past 20 years. Remember us giving up half a defense and half a decade of draft picks for an "I" formation tailback when we ran a split back offense? Also, we let two quarterback go in the mid-90's in order to clear a way for culpepper that ended up taking their respective teams to the superbowl while their replacement got hammered by the giants in hisbiggest playoff game and could never manage to move the offense in critical playoff games when we needed him.

I am not comfortable at all with many decisions the organization has made, but I remain hopeful that we have assembled a great staff and can regain the division and conference titles.

petrodemos
06-07-2006, 06:10 AM
good lord, this thread is getting long.

my thoughts on this, someone who played football does not a front office man make. why do they need any one at all if all hes going to do is kiss everybodys arse, and be all lovey dovey about everything. its a stupid hire without much thought, and Wilf needs to get his head out of Tags butt and run the front office like he wants to run it.

first it was a tornado running through the office and now its Everythings Zen through the office. hire from within, hiring people from outside just pisses off everyone.

Foley on the way out:
"I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?"

petrodemos
06-07-2006, 06:19 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I guessing there is far more to this than the writers know and again, I trust Wilf's business decisions. He hasn't made many poor ones and a TON opf good ones.

so far the only good decision he made was buying the vikings.

other than that, timing of hiring and firing has been terrible. how can you fire a coach when hes running through the tunnel on the way in from winning his last game? it was tices time to go, but the timing...same with foley....what else has he done? FA signings? please......we could have had edge and arrington for the price he payed those players...now that would have been exciting

divine_roos
06-07-2006, 06:26 AM
i dont know if this has been posted in a different thread, but I thought this was an interesting article which gave the hire a different perspective. i think this is a good move. ill reserve real judgement for later though...

link to original on the vikings.scout.com...

http://vikings.scout.com/2/537398.html

Spielman Could Be Front Man for Media
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scout.com
VikingUpdate.com Jun 6, 2006

Rick Spielman’s media savvy could make him the leading candidate to speak to the media and public on player personnel matters. While he may not give up a lot of information, he is one of the few media-friendly voices at Winter Park.

While it remains to be seen how Rick Spielman will fare as the Vikings’ vice president of player personnel, it didn’t take much for him to get off to a far better start with the media than his predecessor Fran Foley.

Foley, who lasted three months in the personnel job before being dumped, made it clear at his introductory news conference that he was a very busy man and didn’t have much interest or time to offer up any useful information.

And, sadly, that might have been the highlight for Foley, who found it impossible to play nice with others and also embellished his resume.

Compared to Foley, Spielman all but did a standup routine at his first news conference. As a member of the Vikings’ media relations staff reminded reporters to put their cell phones on vibrate or shut them off before the news conference, Spielman took his phone from his jacket and shut it off, joking that he didn’t want to violate the rules.

Spielman, who comes to Minnesota from a stint at ESPN in which he worked his way up from writing an online column for the network’s website to serving as an analyst on “NFL Live,” also explained that he realized how difficult of job the media has.

Pure genius.

But Spielman, who received a three-year contract, also knows how to play the front-office game, having held executive positions with Detroit (1990-96), Chicago (1997-99) and Miami (2000-2004).

He answers questions in a polite manner with complete sentences but also knows how to say next to nothing while doing it. This isn’t a knock but rather a compliment. With the Vikings’ front office structure, it was an absolute necessity owner Zygi Wilf hired someone like this for such a key role.

It already is obvious that new coach Brad Childress isn’t a huge fan of dealing with the media and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski always has attempted to keep clear of reporters. Scott Studwell, the team’s director of college scouting, has done the same.

This means Spielman likely will spend much of his time in front of the cameras and answering for the decisions made by Childress and his associates. Doing it with a smile, will make life that much easier for everyone involved.

V-Unit
06-07-2006, 08:01 PM
"divine_roos" wrote:

i dont know if this has been posted in a different thread, but I thought this was an interesting article which gave the hire a different perspective. i think this is a good move. ill reserve real judgement for later though...

link to original on the vikings.scout.com...

http//vikings.scout.com/2/537398.html

Spielman Could Be Front Man for Media
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scout.com
VikingUpdate.com Jun 6, 2006

Rick Spielman’s media savvy could make him the leading candidate to speak to the media and public on player personnel matters. While he may not give up a lot of information, he is one of the few media-friendly voices at Winter Park.

While it remains to be seen how Rick Spielman will fare as the Vikings’ vice president of player personnel, it didn’t take much for him to get off to a far better start with the media than his predecessor Fran Foley.

Foley, who lasted three months in the personnel job before being dumped, made it clear at his introductory news conference that he was a very busy man and didn’t have much interest or time to offer up any useful information.

And, sadly, that might have been the highlight for Foley, who found it impossible to play nice with others and also embellished his resume.

Compared to Foley, Spielman all but did a standup routine at his first news conference. As a member of the Vikings’ media relations staff reminded reporters to put their cell phones on vibrate or shut them off before the news conference, Spielman took his phone from his jacket and shut it off, joking that he didn’t want to violate the rules.

Spielman, who comes to Minnesota from a stint at ESPN in which he worked his way up from writing an online column for the network’s website to serving as an analyst on “NFL Live,” also explained that he realized how difficult of job the media has.

Pure genius.

But Spielman, who received a three-year contract, also knows how to play the front-office game, having held executive positions with Detroit (1990-96), Chicago (1997-99) and Miami (2000-2004).

He answers questions in a polite manner with complete sentences but also knows how to say next to nothing while doing it. This isn’t a knock but rather a compliment. With the Vikings’ front office structure, it was an absolute necessity owner Zygi Wilf hired someone like this for such a key role.

It already is obvious that new coach Brad Childress isn’t a huge fan of dealing with the media and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski always has attempted to keep clear of reporters. Scott Studwell, the team’s director of college scouting, has done the same.

This means Spielman likely will spend much of his time in front of the cameras and answering for the decisions made by Childress and his associates. Doing it with a smile, will make life that much easier for everyone involved.So basically,Spielman is better than Foley. - That isn't saying much.
Spielman will answer the media's questions about the Vikings. - That is what worries me most. Did anyone see Spielman on ESPN? I remember thinking, "this guy is a bumbling idiot" during the draft. Broken sentences, and he had no idea what to say. I hoenstly think he is not the person you want as the voice of your franchise.

petrodemos
06-08-2006, 05:25 AM
minnesota reporters are going to eat this guy alive and spit him out before lunch. Good Luck !!!!

singersp
06-08-2006, 01:00 PM
From CantonRep.com;

Spielman in ‘dream job’ with Vikings

Thursday, June 8, 2006
By Steve Doerschuk Repository sports writer

Rick Spielman’s status as one of Stark County’s new-generation NFL movers and shakers is back on. The former Canton Timken and Massillon high school football player is fired up about it.

“It was a great sabbatical for a year,” Spielman told The Repository after his first week on the job as a Minnesota Vikings vice president. “I enjoyed working for ESPN. My dream job is where I am right now.”

He indicated a triangle of power under Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has a clear-cut surface: “Brad Childress is coaching. I’m running personnel. Rob Brzezinski will do the contract stuff.”

That is similar to the structure installed in Cleveland in 2005, when Romeo Crennel became coach, Phil Savage became general manager and holdover Trip MacCracken was salary cap coordinator.

Spielman’s previous team, Miami, was like that when Dave Wannstedt was coach and Spielman was personnel chief. Wannstedt resigned during a 2004 season that crashed with a 4-12 record.

After Nick Saban was hired with powers Browns fans associate with Butch Davis, Spielman hung on as general manager, but only through the Dolphins’ 2005 draft. He said there is no bitterness.

“I learned a lot from Nick Saban,” Spielman said. “I was exposed to a whole different view of things.”

The vision had been to help Wannstedt put Miami in a Super Bowl. After the Dolphins went 11-5 in 2001 but lost in the first round of the playoffs, Spielman gambled. He engineered a trade for Ricky Williams, which cost Miami two first-round draft picks.

Williams rushed for 1,853 yards in 2002, but the Dolphins slipped to 9-7 and lost a tie-breaker that sent Cleveland to the playoffs.

Miami went 10-6 in 2003 but missed the playoffs again, and Spielman’s seat warmed up. He gambled again, giving the Eagles (whose offensive coordinator was Childress) a second-round pick for quarterback A.J. Feeley. The thinking was that Feeley was a good but not great quarterback who would be effective in an offense built around Williams.

“We got hit with the Ricky thing unexpectedly,” Spielman said.

Williams retired before the 2004 season, which hit the team as hard as a hurricane. Williams “un-retired” in 2005, giving Miami 83 yards in a 22-0 loss at Cleveland, but by then Spielman was between jobs.

He was hired by ESPN, where he wrote an Internet column and did on-camera and radio analysis. He laughs about all the speech and communications courses he should have taken at Timken and Massillon.

“I took the ESPN job seriously, the way I would any job,” Spielman said. “I prepared for the draft the way I normally prepare.”

What damage did Spielman’s unhappy ending in Miami inflict on his career?

“I never worried about it one bit,” he said. “Behind the scenes, people know what your abilities are. They understand situations.

“Why take a woe-is-me approach after one bad year? My attitude is, ‘Man, I’ve had some experiences ... other people haven’t had.’

“Going back to my time in Stark County, I wouldn’t be in this situation without all I’ve experienced. Now I’m in a great situation, and I’m still very young in this profession.”

Spielman, 43, said life since the Vikings hired him last week has been a “whirlwind.” He and his wife Michelle have six adopted children ranging in age from 4 to 16.

The family had gotten used to Miami’s winter warmth. Minnesota freezes over early.

“I did take an ice-fishing class at Ohio State,” Spielman said.

He doubts he’ll use the knowledge in “the land of 10,000 lakes.” His mission is to help thaw the deep freeze amid which the Vikings haven’t been to a Super Bowl since he was an Edgefield School sixth-grader in Plain Township. Breaking through this season would be a twist in Spielman’s career — the Super Bowl is in Miami.

Reach Repository sports writer Steve Doerschuk at (330) 580-8347 or e-mail: steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com

The Massillon QB club

Former Massillon quarterbacks have spanned generations as leading NFL decision-makers.

Paul Brown was founding head coach and personnel chief of the Browns and Bengals. He ran the Bengals until his death in 1991.

John McVay won five Super Bowl rings as a 49ers personnel executive, and worked for the team until recently.

Rick Spielman has been a personnel man for the Lions, Bears and Dolphins, and is personnel chief for the Vikings.

Spielman in ‘dream job’ with Vikings (http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=290502&Category=17)

sunny
06-08-2006, 11:13 PM

If this guy had to take a class to learn to ice-fish we are in trouble.

Class starts now.

1) In the winter you need to drill a hole in the ice to get to the fish.
2) You use an ice fishing rod not an eight foot pole.
3) Drink as much as possible to stay warm.
4) It is allowable to pee on the ice. NOT allowable to pee in your buddies fishing hole.

There you have it.

seaniemck7
06-09-2006, 04:54 PM
"sunny" wrote:

Class starts now.

4) It is allowable to pee on the ice. NOT allowable to pee in your buddies fishing hole.

There you have it.

Note. However I did take a bowling class in college which could look like this:

1) get beer
2) roll ball

Bdubya
06-09-2006, 04:55 PM
"seaniemck7" wrote:

"sunny" wrote:

Class starts now.

There you have it.

Note. However I did take a bowling class in college which could look like this:

1) get beer
2) roll ball

I think there is a walking class at Central Michigan