PDA

View Full Version : Denny doesn't seem so bad after listening to Brad

COJOMAY
05-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Denny doesn't seem so bad after listening to Brad
http://www.startribune.com/508/story/457836.html
Patrick Reusse, Star Tribune

Come back, Dennis Green. I've checked with the cabal of conspirators and, from our end, all is forgiven.

There were a few moments when we thought you had gotten a touch goofy -- particularly in 1997 with the publication of "No Room for Crybabies," the book in which you basically threatened to fire the team's owners.

If bygones are going to be bygones, there are a couple of admissions to make, Coach:

There were smirks in the Metrodome press box as you shuffled off the field following Atlanta's stunning overtime victory in the NFC title game of January 1999. And there was knee-slapping laughter in the Giants Stadium press box during the 41-0 loss in the title game in January 2001.

We know better now, Denny. We promise to remain somber following every playoff loss, no matter how unexpected or humiliating.

You were at least putting us on with the gibberish offered in news conferences. You would say something such as, "Football is about winning and losing, and we would rather win than lose," and then walk away, offering a wink to friends who were in on the joke.

This guy we have up here now, this Brad Childress character ... I'm afraid he's bonkers. He spews nonsense not as a jab at the media but because he thinks it means something.

This is what Childress had to say about rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson earlier this month:

"I thought probably the most impressive thing was just him delivering the essay in the huddle. ... You have to know when to take a breath and where to take a breath, so that everything flows when you are passing out that information.

"You are basically painting a picture with words. You can see the right look in his eye, knowing exactly what he is creating. He can see the picture in his eye of what's going on."

I know you think the cabal embellished a few things during your tenure, Denny, but this is the honest truth: Childress was impressed with Jackson's breathing.

And there was more:

"I can go back and remember in 1985 [in Indianapolis], Art Schlichter was our starting quarterback and, with all the essay that is said, I know that coming to the line of scrimmage he was still thinking about who was moving where when he was moving his foot up."

Childress was a quality-control coach with the Colts. When he wasn't making sure there was fresh coffee, he apparently was monitoring Schlichter's essays.

As it turned out, the lack of focus Childress detected from the quarterback was Artie's concern over whether this would be the night bookmakers he owed money to would have his legs broken.

Denny, you also had a rookie quarterback, Matt Leinart, in minicamp this month. By comparison to our Little Major, you were a beacon of clarity in these comments:

"He throws a terrific ball, throws it high; he's tall, of course, 6-5, and he has a very good release at the top. He throws it shoulder-to-shoulder. You never see his ball diving. It is easy to catch."

The shoulder-to-shoulder part -- that might have been a little Mel Kiper-like -- but we'll take it, in contrast to the Little Major's tribute to Tarvaris.

There also have been workouts taking place in the Miami Dolphins facility this month. In late March, Childress had suggested a reason for trading Daunte Culpepper was the quarterback rehabbing his surgically repaired right knee in an inferior facility in Orlando.

"I've spent some time in [Florida]," the Little Major said. "I close my eyes. I'm seeing a Chinese restaurant, a HealthSouth place, a laundromat ... basically, a strip mall that he's rehabbing himself."

That was a Childress superfecta: insults that were ethnic, corporate, geographic and personal.

Apparently, the Little Major's concerns about Culpepper's commitment to rehab are not shared in Miami. He's now at the Dolphins facility on a regular basis, and coach Nick Saban said Wednesday:

"Daunte has done more than we ever thought he could at this time in terms of his physical ability. He's been cleared to do things at his position -- to start taking three-step, five-step, seven-step drops, and throw it."

Drops and throws are fine, but what Saban did not clarify was Culpepper's work in the important areas -- delivering the essay and breathing.

Prophet
05-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Funny read. Ignores the moronic 'interim' follow-up coach after Green and Daunte's graceful exit created by the mental midget himself. Reusse is on par with Jeff Duncan from nola.com in his journalistic abilities. The only difference is Duncan loves the Saints and Reusse loves himself, both are blind.

I'll give Reusse credit for using excerpts from quotes and writing a bunch of gibberish and providing a few minutes of marginal entertainment. This part of the offseason is just painful, especially when we're forced to endure Reusse's ramblings to pass the time.

whiteviking24
05-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Why don't they just wait till Childress has coached at least a year or two to see if he can coach!!! rather then what he says to reporters and then comparing him to a past coach we had.....they are running out of material

VikesfaninWis
05-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Wow, nothing like taking a worthless jab at something or somebody that is not even an issue. They really need to get their heads out of their a$$e$ and start writing about something that matters.

Ltrey33
05-28-2006, 04:38 PM
I HATE the TC media! Don't they ever have anything positive to say? Let the guy coach damnit!

snowinapril
05-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Wow, that was a downright kick in the crotch for the Little Major.

Del Rio
05-28-2006, 04:49 PM
Green had brilliant assistants that have gone on the great things.

In the end though only one head coach was better for the Vikings then Denny.

whackthepack
05-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Reusse I hope you sometimes stop in PPO and read some of the things people say about you!

You are an old curmudgeon and you hate sports, so why are you a sports writer you piece of dog excrement?

You always know more than every owner and every coaching staff in town! So why don't you start a girls pro bowling team, and leave the sports fans in the Twin Cities area alone! You are worthless and you are mad because the new Vikes owners and coaches do not kiss your a$$ like Red and Tice did! That is all you and Souhan care about, and that is the reason that you 2 worthless excuses for humans are so upset that the new Vikings coaches do not grant you 2 interviews so you keep taking shots!

Like I said earlier why are you a sports writer when you hate sports so much, retire and go away and never bother the sporting public again with you useless blathering that you call an article! I am not saying you should kill yourself, but all good ideas have their time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ltrey33
05-28-2006, 05:19 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Les Steckel?

snowinapril
05-28-2006, 05:25 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Good point. More specific, I also like the fact that we had some good defensive minds under Denny that have gone on to do Defense in the NFL.

snowinapril
05-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Kniffon - Built a SuperBowl D - Has a ring.
Dungy - Built a SuperBowl Team - got the shaft then went to Indy and has been building a better team each year.
Billeck - Won a SB, has the Ring, he actually won with D.

Am I leaving anyone off the list.

boognish
05-28-2006, 05:56 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

Reusse I hope you sometimes stop in PPO and read some of the things people say about you!

You are an old curmudgeon and you hate sports, so why are you a sports writer you piece of dog excrement?

You always know more than every owner and every coaching staff in town! So why don't you start a girls pro bowling team, and leave the sports fans in the Twin Cities area alone! You are worthless and you are mad because the new Vikes owners and coaches do not kiss your a$$ like Red and Tice did! That is all you and Souhan care about, and that is the reason that you 2 worthless excuses for humans are so upset that the new Vikings coaches do not grant you 2 interviews so you keep taking shots!

Like I said earlier why are you a sports writer when you hate sports so much, retire and go away and never bother the sporting public again with you useless blathering that you call an article! I am not saying you should kill yourself, but all good ideas have their time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO! My thoughts exactly. The Star Tribune isn't good enough to wrap my fish in; with the possible exception of Sid, every sports writer in the TC seems far to eager to try and attack our teams. This article could easily have been written by that idiot Souhan too.

We need some homers in the media, like the Peckers do (i.e. Chris "the homer" Havel).

2beersTommy
05-28-2006, 06:17 PM
"boognish" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

LMAO! My thoughts exactly. ; with the possible exception of Sid, every sports writer in the TC seems far to eager to try and attack our teams. This The Star Tribune isn't good enough to wrap my fish inarticle could easily have been written by that idiot Souhan too.

I love it !! LOL

We need some homers in the media, like the Peckers do (i.e. Chris "the homer" Havel).

2beersTommy
05-28-2006, 06:17 PM
"boognish" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

LMAO! My thoughts exactly. ; with the possible exception of Sid, every sports writer in the TC seems far to eager to try and attack our teams. This The Star Tribune isn't good enough to wrap my fish inarticle could easily have been written by that idiot Souhan too.

I love it !! LOL

Vikes_King
05-28-2006, 09:15 PM
definatly one of the more... interesting articles i've read about childress

fourdoorchevelle
05-29-2006, 12:46 AM
BLAH...BLAH...BLAH

anything to write about or are we recycling old news with a anti-viking twist?

YogidAbEAR
05-29-2006, 01:09 AM
i dunno, this sites seems less intresting than ussual. no new news i guess

fourdoorchevelle
05-29-2006, 01:25 AM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

i dunno, this sites seems less intresting than ussual. no new news i guess

i was talking about the article this thread is about. PPO is outstanding and my first pick when it comes to viking news and chatter. :wink:

sirweeze
05-29-2006, 01:55 AM
"whackthepack" wrote:

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking: just another impossibly bitter old guy who hates sports, and tries to drag everyone else down with him. See also: Powers, Tom. But at least Powers can be funny once in a while with his relentless overbearing cynicism.

Caine
05-29-2006, 03:17 AM
This guy OBVIOUSLY doesn't remember all that Denny Green did in Minnesota...

...like taking a Superbowl caliber team and tanking in the NFC Championship game,

...like completely ignoring the Defense while building a high-powered Offence that tanked in his final year.

...Like DEMANDING more control over the team, and playing the race card when it was denied.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief when Denny Green was fired.

The proof of a coach is in his RESULTS, not in his preseason quotes to bitter pundits who can no longer belly up to the trough and get their stories handed to them. If Patrick Reusse wants Denny Green to be the head coach so badly, I suggest he moves to Arizona. I'm sure they could use another crappy wanna-be sports journalist down there. Lord knows we have plenty up here in the North.

Caine

olson_10
05-29-2006, 04:39 AM
this writer doesnt deserve to have a job..flat out, one of the most pointless articles ive ever read..another "no stadium" idiot trying to convince the minnesota public to not support the vikings new stadium bid

jonnyb
05-30-2006, 03:45 AM
Say what you want about reusse, the article made a good point. the comments brad made about jackson were retarded. "he breaths well while delivering the essay"... jeez, thanks for that bit of knowledge brad.

Ltrey33
05-30-2006, 03:50 AM
"Caine" wrote:

...like taking a Superbowl caliber team and tanking in the NFC Championship game,

...like completely ignoring the Defense while building a high-powered Offence that tanked in his final year.

...Like DEMANDING more control over the team, and playing the race card when it was denied.

I breathed a huge sigh of relief when Denny Green was fired.

The proof of a coach is in his RESULTS, not in his preseason quotes to bitter pundits who can no longer belly up to the trough and get their stories handed to them. If Patrick Reusse wants Denny Green to be the head coach so badly, I suggest he moves to Arizona. I'm sure they could use another crappy wanna-be sports journalist down there. Lord knows we have plenty up here in the North.

Caine

:thumbright:

Caine
05-30-2006, 06:36 AM
"jonnyb" wrote:

Say what you want about reusse, the article made a good point. the comments brad made about jackson were Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd. "he breaths well while delivering the essay"... jeez, thanks for that bit of knowledge brad.

Perhaps the problem isn't with the quote, perhaps the problem is in the author's (and, possibly, your) understanding of what Childress is talking about.

Childress is evaluating a young, undercoached Quarterback, trying to determine what he has to work with, and what he'll have to do to get him ready. His comments appear - in my opinion - to be about Jackson's focus, and breathing while delivering critical information (The play or "essay" in this case I would assume) before the play. The overall flavor I got from the out-of-context information the author gave us was that Tarvaris was focused. His breathing, being under control, would also indicate a certain amount of poise and confidence (whereas ragged breathing would indicate uncertainty, tiredness, or panic).

As I said before, the so-called-journalists are still ticked that they actually have to work for their stories now, so if it isn't spoon fed, they whine.

Now, I'm not a member of the Vikings Coaching staff, and I may be completely off base about what I said here. However, I'm willing to gamble and say that Childress isn't a complete moron, so until I hear otherwise, my money's on my interpretation...or something similar.

Caine

PurplePeopleEaters89
05-30-2006, 07:12 AM
"whiteviking24" wrote:

Why don't they just wait till Childress has coached at least a year or two to see if he can coach!!! rather then what he says to reporters and then comparing him to a past coach we had.....they are running out of material

Yeah, but like you said, they are running out of material!! Just wait until June 1st when the first cuts happen!!! They just get bored and need something to talk about!!!

Prophet
05-30-2006, 02:36 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

"whiteviking24" wrote:

Yeah, but like you said, they are running out of material!! Just wait until June 1st when the first cuts happen!!! They just get bored and need something to talk about!!!

True, but Reusse's shoddy journalistic skills permeate the paper even during newsworthy events.

COJOMAY
05-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Caine:
You are 100% correct in your assessment. I don't think that the writer even knew what he tas talking about when Childress used the word "Essay." You are correct in your explanation. When calling a longer play, it is necessary to give information in order. There are probably about three critical pieces in the essay. You breath at the end of each one of these so that each is a piece of information in and of itself. If you break it up other places it loses it's effectiveness. It is a very important trait so that all players get the essay in as clear a manner as possible.
A rookie just blathers it out very often making it hard for the other team members to grasp it easily. Travis apparently got the hang of it right away and that is an excellent indication of his study habits and coaching.

tastywaves
05-30-2006, 03:38 PM
This writer reminds me of a Letterman or Leno who usually target the current president for comic material. Reusse (obviously not a football fan), likes to target the current headcoach of the Vikings for his material. You can always find a few gems for material if your looking for it (with Tice his job was very easy). Times are slow, find something idiotic to write about and ruffle a few loyal's feathers and get a few smirks from those that don't live and die purple. As long as somebody reads it he gets to write another one.

Del Rio
05-30-2006, 03:41 PM

LMAO! The team Denny Green BUILT! Irony?

And in the process supposedly building a superbowl caliber team?! He drafted plenty of defense. They just didn't pan out. He also had a dominant defense for a handful of years, I attribute that to Dungy, but it was there.

I love it, WAAAAAAAAAAA he ignored the Defense.....WAAAAAAA he built a superbowl caliber team................ how exactly does that work?

Yeah well coaching under a piss poor ownership can do that to a guy I suppose.

The proof of a coach is in his RESULTS,

I agree, and no one got us into the post season more often then Denny Green with the exception of the HOF coach Bud Grant. So you want results? You got em, now weather or not you can accept them is your own problem.

snowinapril
05-30-2006, 03:49 PM
"jonnyb" wrote:

Say what you want about reusse, the article made a good point. the comments brad made about jackson were Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd. "he breaths well while delivering the essay"... jeez, thanks for that bit of knowledge brad.

He doesn't get excited while commanding the huddle. He is not a normal rookie, he is above par.

That is what I took that statement to mean.

To me that is encouraging to know.

The other reporters saw TJ throw in the workouts and had positive things to say about his arm. What's the big deal??

I think one would have to go back and look at the whole of what Childress said that day he spewed out the Essay comment and he probably did give some better info. Once again, the writer is using a quote for his own benefit, somewhat out of context I bet.

whackthepack
05-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Reusse (the I hate sports reporter) again had to take a shot at Brad Childress and the Vikings in his column in today's Red Star & Trib!

http://www.startribune.com/508/story/461557.html

Packers: Attention is good

The Vikings and Packers have a different view of the benefits of public scrutiny of their roster.

The Vikings, with new coach Brad Childress, have banned outsiders from the practice area and facility during workouts in developmental camp. The Packers, with new coach Mike McCarthy, open their camp Wednesday. Practices are partially open to the public and the media, including videotaping by television crews. The Packers even have scheduled (tentatively) a news conference with Brett Favre on June 8.

And just think -- Green Bay already has its new, high-revenue stadium.

Del Rio
05-30-2006, 07:14 PM
And yet he makes a point. You want the public to pay for your stadium and you are closing off the public from the team.

whackthepack
05-30-2006, 07:27 PM
How the Vikings practice has nothing to do with if the Vikings deserve a stadium, or not.

The Vikings open their training camp to the public everyday, but when they have a practice at Winter Park it is not open to the public and it wasn't under Green or Tice either. Never heard either one of those moron's complaining that the public couldn't watch practice because Tice gave them every bit of info on the team, and he used those two a$$holes to call out players in the papers.

This has to do with the fact that Souhan and Reusse have not been given access to the Vikings like they had under Tice, and they are taking shots every chance they get. Other reporters have been given numerous interviews and have been allowed to attend the practices and mini-camps, but not these 2 so they are throwing temper tantrums like 2 year olds. But it has nothing to do with the fact that the public can not attend practice it has to do with these jerk-offs!

Del Rio
05-30-2006, 07:31 PM
I never said it had anything to do with him deserving one or not.

Neither did the evil sportswriter.

It isn't solely about the practices. The team went stealth/silent mode with information it keeps the fans in the dark. Fans that they want to fork out real money so they can make more money................

boognish
05-30-2006, 07:39 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

How the Vikings practice has nothing to do with if the Vikings deserve a stadium, or not.

The Vikings open their training camp to the public everyday, but when they have a practice at Winter Park it is not open to the public and it wasn't under Green or Tice either. Never heard either one of those silly guy's complaining that the public couldn't watch practice because Tice gave them every bit of info on the team, and he used those two a$$holes to call out players in the papers.

This has to do with the fact that Souhan and Reusse have not been given access to the Vikings like they had under Tice, and they are taking shots every chance they get. Other reporters have been given numerous interviews and have been allowed to attend the practices and mini-camps, but not these 2 so they are throwing temper tantrums like 2 year olds. But it has nothing to do with the fact that the public can not attend practice it has to do with these jerk-offs!

You're so right about the media throwing a fit because their access has been restricted. I have a feeling that Childress and Co., being new coaches with a new team, are bending every rule they can in order to push our players to the limitin order to field a solid team. Guys like Souhan, Reusse, and Sansevere would be the first ones to turn in tape to the NFL regarding any practices that may be "borderline" in regard to contact, duration, etc... They'll open up training camp to the public, as they always do; they just won't open up these intense minicamp sessions to the media. Waaaaa.... :cry:

Del Rio
05-30-2006, 07:41 PM
"boognish" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

The Vikings open their training camp to the public everyday, but when they have a practice at Winter Park it is not open to the public and it wasn't under Green or Tice either. Never heard either one of those silly guy's complaining that the public couldn't watch practice because Tice gave them every bit of info on the team, and he used those two a$$holes to call out players in the papers.

You're so right about the media throwing a fit because their access has been restricted. I have a feeling that Childress and Co., being new coaches with a new team, are bending every rule they can in order to push our players to the limitin order to field a solid team. Guys like Souhan, Reusse, and Sansevere would be the first ones to turn in tape to the NFL regarding any practices that may be "borderline" in regard to contact, duration, etc... They'll open up training camp to the public, as they always do; they just won't open up these intense minicamp sessions to the media. Waaaaa.... :cry:

That's an interesting take.

He is keeping the media out becuase he is breaking the rules. Rules that if are broken place our players at risk and give us an unfair advantage.

I certainly hope that is not his reason.

Prophet
05-30-2006, 07:48 PM
The evil sports writer did make a point in that article, slanted as usual.

It is still amazing to me that this guy has a job and it's not because I don't like that he favors the negative slant towards the Vikings. He consistently portrays his angle intertwined with facts that support it. Some say that is good journalism.

I prefer someone that shows the various sides of the argument and then takes a position and defends their position rather then taking a position and defending it with various tidbits of information that supports their argument. There is a big difference.

Reusse is very mediocre at his job.

Del Rio
05-30-2006, 07:51 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

The evil sports writer did make a point in that article, slanted as usual.

It is still amazing to me that this guy has a job and it's not because I don't like that he favors the negative slant towards the Vikings. He consistently portrays his angle intertwined with facts that support it. Some say that is good journalism.

I prefer someone that shows the various sides of the argument and then takes a position and defends their position rather then taking a position and defending it with various tidbits of information that supports their argument. There is a big difference.

Reusse is very mediocre at his job.

Wishful thinking, but a good wish none the less.

Camus would be proud.

boognish
05-30-2006, 08:06 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"boognish" wrote:

"whackthepack" wrote:

That's an interesting take.

He is keeping the media out becuase he is breaking the rules. Rules that if are broken place our players at risk and give us an unfair advantage.

I certainly hope that is not his reason.

I never said breaking the rules, but it is naive to think that Childress isn't pushing the boundaries in these minicamps; he wants to find out who his likely starters are, so he can focus on getting these guys up to the elite level they will need to be at. I would bet that most private practices around the league aren't open to the public; that comes during training camp.

Del Rio
05-30-2006, 08:13 PM
If all he is doing is "BENDING" then what would be the point of keeping out the media. Your whole theory is based on the media exposing the bending of the rule.

boognish
05-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Never mind, I don't want to keep going around in circles with you. Needless to say, anyone who has read what these hacks write has to know that they actively seek opportunities to write disparaging articles about the team; that alone is reason enough to keep them at bay.

snowinapril
05-30-2006, 08:31 PM
If he was bending or breaking rules, atleast we didn't have our own players, like the Lions, turn in the coach and staff for a few extra days off from camp.

Del Rio
05-30-2006, 08:37 PM
By all means quit then.

I was just saying if that is his reasoning for keeping them away then I'm not fond of it.

Del Rio
05-30-2006, 08:39 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

If he was bending or breaking rules, atleast we didn't have our own players, like the Lions, turn in the coach and staff for a few extra days off from camp.

Rules are rules.

If my boss was working me longer then he was legally allowed to work me you bet your ass I would be turning him in.

This is a job, their ability to make money depends on their health. There are rules in place to help lengthen their short careers. If those rules are broken, then it not only shames the spirit of fair play it also endangers the athletes longevity and well being.

Turn all their asses in IMO.

Caine
05-30-2006, 09:50 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

LMAO! The team Denny Green BUILT! Irony?

Yup - Denny built that team. Never said he didn't, did I? And they did what exactly? Oh, uum yeah....TANKED. Took Denny six seasons to get that far, and the one where he had all his ducks in a row....he tanked. He rolled over and died before haltime, and they came out flat in the 2nd.

So, 1st comment - I'm standing by it.

"Del Rio" wrote:

And in the process supposedly building a superbowl caliber team?! He drafted plenty of defense. They just didn't pan out. He also had a dominant defense for a handful of years, I attribute that to Dungy, but it was there.

I love it, WAAAAAAAAAAA he ignored the Defense.....WAAAAAAA he built a superbowl caliber team................ how exactly does that work?

How exactly does it work? It's called "Sequence Of Events" (If the complicated term is too tough for you, ask Cajun, he's a lawyer).

Yes, he built the '98 team, and AFTER that, with the departure of Dungy, it appeared to me that the Defensive play fell off significantly. And Denny - being Denny - continued to build the Offense. In short, it APPEARED that he attempted to overcome Defensive shortcomings with a more potent Offense.

Sure, he drafted defensive players, just not very good ones.

And, if you'll recall, I listed them in order. In your "WAAAAAA" response, you reversed it. If it had truly been reversed, I wouldn't have complained. Therefore, your "Waaaaa" response doesn't hold water because you altered the sequence of events (there's that complicated term again) in order to take a shot at a non-existant situation.

"Del Rio" wrote:

Yeah well coaching under a piss poor ownership can do that to a guy I suppose.

OK, so "piss poor ownership" is a justifiable excuse for Green, but not for Tice? Hmmmmm....nope. Further, Green had far better assistants than Tice was allowed to get. In short, Tice did as much (zero superbowl wins) as Green did...with less. I'm not saying that Tice is a better HC, but by your logic it would seem so...

"Del Rio" wrote:

The proof of a coach is in his RESULTS,

I agree, and no one got us into the post season more often then Denny Green with the exception of the HOF coach Bud Grant. So you want results? You got em, now weather or not you can accept them is your own problem.

Sure, Denny got us into the post season...where he went 4-8. Mike Sherman got Green Bay into the play-offs almost every year too - where they proceeded to tank. Does that make Sherman a great coach too? Maybe we should have grabbed HIM, huh?

Meanwhile, Childress hasn't played game 1 with the new team, and already writers are complaining.

The NFL allows the Media at certain times and certain phases of the pre-season...as far as I know, the Vikings have not violated those requirements. What they HAVE done is stopped spoon-feeding the media and, in response, the Media is digging for ways to negatively spin everything they do. So, again, if that particular writer likes Green so much, he can go cover the Cardinals.

Caine

whackthepack
05-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Packers: Attention is good

The Vikings and Packers have a different view of the benefits of public scrutiny of their roster.

The Vikings, with new coach Brad Childress, have banned outsiders from the practice area and facility during workouts in developmental camp. The Packers, with new coach Mike McCarthy, open their camp Wednesday. Practices are partially open to the public and the media, including videotaping by television crews. The Packers even have scheduled (tentatively) a news conference with Brett Favre on June 8.

And just think -- Green Bay already has its new, high-revenue stadium

"Del Rio" wrote:

And yet he makes a point. You want the public to pay for your stadium and you are closing off the public from the team

"Whackthepack" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

It isn't solely about the practices. The team went stealth/silent mode with information it keeps the fans in the dark. Fans that they want to fork out real money so they can make more money................

Del

The Vikes are giving the media information, they are just not giving them as much access as they had under Tice. I hear interviews all the time with Childress, Tomlin and Wilf, they announce every trade, signing or release. They just did not let the media into their entire minicamp (they did not let the media in for the last day when they ran the conditions sprints) the media was present for the rest of the minicamp, I saw footage from it everyday!

And it is not about the public being allowed to watch practice at Winter Park, because it was not that way under Green or Tice! And the media never said anything about it!

He is whining because the Vikings are not giving as much access to the media as they did under Tice, which was a ridiculous amount! If any team wanted to know who we were going to draft all they had to do was listen to Mike Morris on Kfan the Friday before the draft because he announced 4 years in a row who the Vikings were drafting. Trust me Morris is not smart enough to pick those players by himself, somebody at Winter Park was telling him. This year he was wrong, he picked Cutler as the player we were going to draft.

So this has nothing to do with the Vikes not giving the public access it is about 2 reporters that the Vikings have not given access, Reusse and Souhan and they are writing articles to make the Vikes look bad because of it to show the Vikings that they can! Believe me or not, but that is the way it is.

Wiggles67
05-31-2006, 03:25 AM
*sigh*

I would really like to see some type of media outlet support the Vikings up the cities. Definately my biggest gripe about minnesota sports.

snowinapril
05-31-2006, 03:44 AM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Rules are rules.

If my boss was working me longer then he was legally allowed to work me you bet your jiggly butt I would be turning him in.

This is a job, their ability to make money depends on their health. There are rules in place to help lengthen their short careers. If those rules are broken, then it not only shames the spirit of fair play it also endangers the athletes longevity and well being.

Turn all their asses in IMO.

There is a fine line between pushing the rules and abusing them.

It is wrong to bend or break the rules, I was just making a point that IF there was something going on, then the players are atleast united in the process.

NodakPaul
05-31-2006, 04:47 AM
Yawn.

I've been reading Patrick Reusse for years, and he has never, ever written a positive article about the Vikings. Even when he was writing about a subject he liked (Culpepper) he wrote with a negative twist (i.e. the fans just didn't know how good they had it, etc...).

This article is a perfect example of the bias of Reusse. He was always among the first to call for Denny's head after the loss to Atlanta. Constantly writing about the problems with his coaching and his ego. Now, he completely changes his tune and swears that Green in a great coach.

DOn't get me wrong. I liked Green. I also like Childress. They have two different styles and should not be compared in any column except wins.

This article is simply another in a long line of jabs at the Vikings by the author.

AngloVike
05-31-2006, 04:18 PM
I've always been amazed as just how little support the Vikes get at time from the TC media. In this day and age it is fashionable to be totally upfront and honest about a teams chances but how about a little hometown support for crying out loud.
They moaned about Tice and how much he gave away in his press conferences - usually at the reporters pressing for the answers. Now they bitch and whine because they don't get information handed out right, left and centre.
In some ways a lot of fans sites, like PP.O, can be harder in terms of making judgements on various issues when we get the information. However we will still have a large amount of backing and support for the team/individuals after. Reusse and co. are just straight in on the dark side of matters and never look for anything positive... it's like having Darth Vader's brothers lurking around the TC at times.
I just look forward to see how much ass kissing these clowns will doing later in the year when they realise that, given the chance, Childress does have an inkling of what the game is about - which is much more than they do. :pottytrain2:

VikingPatrick
05-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Who really gives a flying monkey crap what these guys or ANY reporter has to say!!
Its kinda like going to the movies soley based on what the reviewer has to say!
How many times have we gone to the movies and saw something that was given the "thumbs down" yet after watching it we liked it!
Its ALL a matter of Opinion.
The papers hire these guys to give their opinion and it stirs the pot. We read it and react to it....theyve done their job.
I for one read it, laugh at it, and let it go....because in the end....
I have MY OWN opinion and to me..... thats the one that counts!!
I will sit back....let the season progress...good or bad...and after the movie...I will give "thumbs up or down"

singersp
06-03-2006, 01:32 PM
The following are only two comments taken from the article Letters from sports readers (http://www.startribune.com/563/story/470853.html) as they pertain to the Vikings & the "Denny doesn't seem so bad after listening to Brad" article;

Letters from sports readers
Published: June 03, 2006

You're mad at us again

I've had enough of Patrick Reusse. I found his column about new Vikings head coach Brad Childress (Sunday, May 28) both disturbing and annoying. Childress has yet to coach a game for the Vikings or even to preside over a full scrimmage, but Reusse has already passed judgment in his usual style -- self-important, irrelevant, and childish.

He begins the article with an amateurish backhanded compliment to the thankfully departed Denny Green. He then poorly transitions to a criticism of Childress' refreshing compliments concerning rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson's maturity and judgment. Reusse goes on to unjustly accuse Childress of, "Insults that were ethnic, corporate, geographic and personal."

Interestingly, Reusse has his own long history of ethnic, corporate, geographic, and personal insults, both in his newspaper column and on KSTP AM-1500 radio.

Maybe Reusse should be encouraged to return to his hometown of Fulda, Minnesota and get a fresh start at the Fulda Free Press.

JAMES GAVISER, Minneapolis

•••

Why does the Star Tribune bother to have a sports page written by people who hate sports? Every four of five articles about the Vikings is negative and the fifth is rarely informative. Readers who are fans do exist, and it's sad that the local paper is one of the worst places to get real information about the local team. The Vikings have a new owner, new coach and many new players. How about kicking in some new reporters?

DAVID HENSON, Northfield

Prophet
06-03-2006, 01:36 PM
...Maybe Reusse should be encouraged to return to his hometown of Fulda, Minnesota and get a fresh start at the Fulda Free Press.

JAMES GAVISER, Minneapolis

I would say that's aiming too high for Reusse. What a dimwit.

NordicNed
06-03-2006, 01:57 PM
I think it would be neat if someone contacted one of the TC's papers and set up a weekly column where a guestion or situation about the Vikings is headlined, then the answers, opions, or forsight came from the fans themselves....

A column like... PPO Members Speak Oou on the Viks....

Our first column could explain the need for the column to begin with.....Lack of Support from Local Sports Writers....Why and What do you think?...

MaxVike
06-03-2006, 05:01 PM
The Reusse article reminds me of why I just don't read his drivel anymore. I got caught up in the excitement of new news in PPO and, somehow, finished the read. I've had several back and forth e-mail conversations with Jim Souhan, seems like a nice guy who knows his stuff...kinda the anti-Reusse.

Certainly not defending nor criticizing Childress, but, can anyone remember a successful coach without any quirks? Indeed, can these guys be normal given the crazy hours, the prima donna athletes, whacked fans, and media (fill in the blank) like Reusse?

snowinapril
06-03-2006, 05:05 PM
Someone (fan) should write a satire article (letter), one article for every reporter, ripping their butts.

jargomcfargo
06-03-2006, 07:20 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Childress doesn't just have rookies to get to know. He has to figure out his whole team's strengths and weaknesses.He's starting with basics such as the conditioning drill at the end of the first minicamp.

With only two minicamps and not seeing the tapes of the second minicamp, I don't think he had much to say because he doesn't know much yet.

You can't come in and say Tarvaris Jackson has all the tools to be the next NFL superstar. And you can't say I didn't really see much of him because I was too busy with the first string and Jackson will get my attention later when I have more time.(which in my opinion is the likely truth).

So he just said what he could,which was very generic and basic.

Press conferences weren't cancelled. No knew precedence was set.

I think we are seeing a less transparent style of information dissemination.

I ,as a fan, like that style.

As for the reporters story I could live without the 'little major' insult.
Otherwise I just see it as a lame attempt at humor.

skol!