PDA

View Full Version : Vikings should release Rosenthal

singersp
05-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Vikings should release Rosenthal

By Eric Krupka on May 25, 2006 01:19 AM

It's tough being a professional athlete. When things are going good, all the praise is there. However, it's very easy to fall from the good graces of fans. Sometimes it gets nasty. Unfortunately for Minnesota Vikings right tackle Mike Rosenthal, he has already lost plenty of fan support and soon may be on the unemployment line.

When the June 1 roster cuts are made, don't be surprised to see Rosenthal's name among those released. While players are usually released in June in order for teams to avoid taking a salary cap hit, or to get themselves under the salary cap, in Rosenthal's case it would be because he has drastically underperformed.

Since signing a six-year contract extension in September of 2004, the Minnesota Vikings ' right tackle has been a sub-par performer on what was a mediocre offensive line. The line has since been addressed with the addition of All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson, the returned health of center Matt Birk and addition of tackle Artis Hicks via trade.

Rosenthal injured his foot after just two games in '04 and was placed on injured reserve. In a Monday Night Football matchup with the rival Green Bay Packers last season, he hit rock bottom. Play after play he was getting his proverbial tail whipped by Packers defensive end Aaron Kampman. After being called for a holding penalty negating a Michael Bennett seven-yard run, and then getting destroyed five plays later by Kampman, again giving up a sack, he was promptly removed from the lineup in favor of rookie Marcus Johnson.

The trade for Hicks has pretty much all but sealed his fate with the team. There is now an abundance of able bodies competing for the positions. With Hicks assuming Rosenthal's starting spot, there is no reason for the team to keep him around.

In March, he restructured his contract, but did not take a pay cut. He still has five years and $10 million remaining on his contract. There is no need to pay a backup that much, so his contract should be his shipping card out of town.

It's too bad his play wasn't at the Pro Bowl level the team had hoped. Overpaid and underperforming players won't stick around long on the "new" Vikings.

On June 1, Rosenthal should get the news to clean out his locker and begin his search for a new team.

Get more Minnesota Vikings info at RealFootball365.com

-Eric Krupka can be reached at ekrupka@realfootball365.com

Vikings should release Rosenthal (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/05/mike-rosenthal-vikings250506.html)

V4L
05-26-2006, 12:54 AM
It would free up a decent amount of room that we should never pay for a back up!

Im looking forward to seeing his name on the cut list, although I do wish him well because he is a class act guy just underperformed for us

Good luck Mikey!

FuadFan
05-26-2006, 01:05 AM
While I would have no problem with cutting Rosenthal this guy bases his opinion on Artis Hicks being a tackle when we all know that the starting right guard spot is his to lose.

cajunvike
05-26-2006, 01:13 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

While I would have no problem with cutting Rosenthal this guy bases his opinion on Artis Hicks being a tackle when we all know that the starting right guard spot is his to lose.

IF Marcus is really ready, then cutting Rosenthal makes PERFECT sense.

FuadFan
05-26-2006, 01:17 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

"FuadFan" wrote:

IF Marcus is really ready, then cutting Rosenthal makes PERFECT sense.I know I'm just saying that his basis for his thought on the subject is wrong I'm sure any other tackle on the roster can play as well as Rosenthal as our backup. The other issue is that we will actually have to pay a bit off our cap if we do release him which is why he wouldn't take a pay cut in the first place.

ejmat
05-26-2006, 02:22 AM
I think he should be cut. He has done nothing but badly since coming over from the Giants. I do agree he's a class act but has done nothing to prove his worth.

NordicNed
05-26-2006, 03:10 AM
Sorry to say folks, but I was saying this all last year, Rosenthal sucks.....

He constantly gets beat on pass protection and just isn't that good of a player, Period.

Ask Singer and Caine, I pointed out the whole game VS the bears how much we should get rid of this guy......

Number One: He truly sucks Two: We don't need him...

Bye Bye Rosy....

V-Unit
05-26-2006, 03:20 AM
You think he will find work somewhere else or is he really that bad now?

whackthepack
05-26-2006, 05:00 PM
"FuadFan" wrote:

You are right Faud.

Hicks will be at right guard spot and Marcus Johnson will be at right tackle, but I am not so sure that Rossy is gone just yet. With Marcus being a 2nd year man the Vikes could bring Rosenthal into camp just to be on the safe side for insurance encase Johnson doesn't improve as much as they hope from his rookie year.

Ltrey33
05-26-2006, 05:22 PM
I hope they do cut Rosenthal. He's been a complete disappointment and he gets paid wayyyy too much to sit on the bench.

PurplePeopleEaters89
05-26-2006, 09:55 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

He constantly gets beat on pass protection and just isn't that good of a player, Period.

Ask Singer and Caine, I pointed out the whole game VS the bears how much we should get rid of this guy......

Bye Bye Rosy....

Yeah, i am pretty sure i was saying the same thing!!! I even used to have him under my "favorite players list" LOL!!! :grin: I can't wait to get rid of him!!!

Top_Speed
05-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Said that all of last year. Why we ever picked up the Giants trash anyway is beyond me.

VikesfaninWis
05-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Nah Nah Nah Nah

Nah Nah Nah Nah

Hey Hey Hey

Goodbye....

ItalianStallion
05-26-2006, 10:28 PM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

Bye Bye Rosy....

Yeah, i am pretty sure i was saying the same thing!!! I even used to have him under my "favorite players list" LOL!!! :grin: I can't wait to get rid of him!!!

Rosenthal should have been gone when he gave up 4 sacks to Leonard Little 3 years ago. Him sucking is not new news.

ultravikingfan
05-26-2006, 11:54 PM
I got one word:

GOOD!

vikesoto
05-27-2006, 12:03 AM
I really thought he was going to gone prior to last season.......

singersp
05-27-2006, 12:22 AM
If they wanted to cut him, why did they just resign him?

ItalianStallion
05-27-2006, 01:43 AM
"singersp" wrote:

They re-signed him because Tice is a meathead.

threadking
05-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Every time we had a big play you could count on Rosy holding. Watching him play almost put me in the psych ward. Cut that Beootch.

marshallvike
05-27-2006, 02:11 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Vikings should release Rosenthal

By Eric Krupka on May 25, 2006 01:19 AM

It's too bad his play wasn't at the Pro Bowl level the team had hoped. Overpaid and underperforming players won't stick around long on the "new" Vikings.

On June 1, Rosenthal should get the news to clean out his locker and begin his search for a new team.

Get more Minnesota Vikings info at RealFootball365.com

-Eric Krupka can be reached at ekrupka@realfootball365.com

Vikings should release Rosenthal (http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/05/mike-rosenthal-vikings250506.html)that wouldn't work on the old vikes either. or too many other nfl teams.

jonnyb
05-27-2006, 02:22 AM
Wasnt he a major free agent when we signed him? I thought he was spose to be a stud when we got him. chalk up another great move by tice.

Mr. Purple
05-27-2006, 02:31 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

You think he will find work somewhere else or is he really that bad now?

The Bucs will sign him. They take anything over-weight,over-raited, and over-paid we dont want.

singersp
05-27-2006, 02:45 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

What I meant was why did they bother restructuring Rosenthal's contract if he was going to be cut?

Tice was long gone when they restructured his contract just a month ago.

BigMoInAZ
05-27-2006, 03:19 AM
"jonnyb" wrote:

Wasnt he a major free agent when we signed him? I thought he was spose to be a stud when we got him. chalk up another great move by tice.NOPE!http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/BigMo58/bc42f0e0.gif

PurplePeopleEaters89
05-27-2006, 03:28 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"VikingNed" wrote:

Bye Bye Rosy....

Rosenthal should have been gone when he gave up 4 sacks to Leonard Little 3 years ago. Him sucking is not new news.

I agree, but no team in their right mind would cut a player just for one terrible game!!! If that was the case, we wouldn't have anyone from last year!! (Fred Smoot, EJ Henderson, Napoleon Harris, Dontarrious Thomas, actually pretty much our whole LB core!!!)

PurplePeopleEaters89
05-27-2006, 03:30 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

What I meant was why did they bother restructuring Rosenthal's contract if he was going to be cut?

are you sure they restructered his contract?? I don't remember hearing about that!?! I know they did it when Tice was here, but i don't remember when Childress was the coach!!!

vikinginvirginia
05-27-2006, 04:43 AM

"singersp" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

are you sure they restructered his contract?? I don't remember hearing about that!?! I know they did it when Tice was here, but i don't remember when Childress was the coach!!!

From KFFL webiste
Vikings | Team reworks Rosenthal’s contract
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 05:58:08 -0800

The Star Tribune reports Minnesota Vikings OT Mike Rosenthal has agreed to a reworked contract but did not take a pay cut, according to his agent, Joe Linta. His deal has five years and $10 million remaining but now will be a split base, meaning if he's placed on injured reserve his base salary will be lower.

I'd say he will be cut unless his agent was able to slip something into the negotiation when they were talking restructure.

vikeswin2005
05-27-2006, 04:54 AM
C-YA

BadlandsVikings
05-27-2006, 04:56 AM
Sounds like Bye-Bye to me.

vikinggreg
05-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Why don't the Vikes just trade him to the pack for a few footballs or some rolls of tape, GB might give him a raise, his false starts could prevent some of Farve's picks

singersp
05-27-2006, 06:06 AM

"singersp" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Positive! I started a thread on it; Rosenthal restructures contract (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20483&highlight=Mike+Rosenthal)

nareg
05-27-2006, 07:10 AM
they reali shuld man the guys a mess injuerd or penalites? last time i checked thats not good!!!

bigdaddy72_1
05-27-2006, 07:36 AM
I would assume that the Vikes have tried to shop him around, trying to get something in the trade market. At this point I think that we will probably cut him. He has to big of a contract to have him sitting on the bench. If the Vikings keep him it puts them in a very difficult situation when signing, resigning, or restructuring any other offensive lineman. Taking things like this into consideration I think that the Vikings definitely have to cut him.

Plus the guy really isn't a good player. We don't want to have a questionable guy at back-up who has been in the league for as long as he has been, he's on the down slope. We want to go and get someone who is an up-and-comer to be a back-up, or a SOLID veteran guy.

Bye bye.

MensaTice
05-27-2006, 08:10 AM
"nareg" wrote:

they reali shuld man the guys a mess injuerd or penalites? last time i checked thats not good!!!

:beer5:

Top_Speed
05-27-2006, 03:18 PM
If we have to deal with his penalties and sub-par play this upcoming season...

ALL VIKING FANS WILL NEED THIS...
:beer5: :beer5: :beer5: :beer5: