PDA

View Full Version : The Minnesota Vikings Have A Difficult Road Ahead

singersp
05-26-2006, 12:39 AM
The Minnesota Vikings Have A Difficult Road Ahead

Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:00 AM
sportsmemo.com

In the last two years, the Vikings have traded both a potential Hall of Famer at wide receiver in Randy Moss and their Pro-Bowl quarterback Daunte Culpepper. They let former first-round wide receiver Nate Burleson depart in free agency. And, after years of stockpiling running back talent, injuries and attrition leave them without a proven starter heading into training camp. The Vikings head into their offseason minicamps with more question marks at the skill positions than they’ve had in at least a decade.

Then we look at the quarterback problem. Yes, Brad Johnson guided the Buccaneers to a Super Bowl championship a few years back. But, as we all know, it was Tampa Bay’s defense that carried them to the title, not Johnson’s arm. Now, Johnson enters the season as the oldest starting quarterback in the NFL, older than Brett Favre.

It’s surely worth noting that Johnson has played in all 16 regular-season games only three times since he was drafted in the ninth round back in 1992. Behind him on the depth chart is Mike McMahon, who failed miserably as Donovan McNabb’s backup in Philadelphia last year. The Vikings quarterback situation is an accident waiting to happen.

Minnesota has all kinds of question marks on defense as well. Their linebacking corps is particularly problematic. Napoleon Harris, acquired in the Randy Moss-trade, has struggled with injuries throughout his career, and he has never played middle linebacker for any extended period in the NFL. Nevertheless, the Vikings have him penciled as their MLB starter for 2006. E.J. Henderson, newly acquired Ben Leber and 2006 first-round pick Chad Greenway are fighting for the other starting positions, leaving serious question marks.

Minnesota has a first-year head coach in Brad Childress, his first head-coaching gig on any level. Childress did not call the plays in Philadelphia, a rarity among NFL offensive coordinators, leaving that duty to head coach Andy Reid. And his hiring appears to have much to do with the “Midwest values” that he talked about in his first press conference. I guess he interviewed well.....

Even owner Zigy Wilf is a new kid on the block, left to pick up the pieces of the failed Mike Tice-era. The sudden dismissal of personnel executive Fran Foley following a subpar draft is only the latest mini-drama to engulf the Vikings, a team that seems to be embroiled in controversy more often than not. Two players are still awaiting trial from last year’s Lake Minnetonka boating incident, leaving it in the media spotlight during the summer. Minnesota’s off-field issues remain a problem heading into fall camp.

Minnesota came on strong during the second half of the season last year, in large part due to an exceptionally easy scheduling stretch. The Vikings also got the benefit of numerous bounces in their direction (remember that victory against the Giants?), losing the turnover battle only once in their final 10 games. Expecting the Vikings to match the nine victories they had in 2005 is not something this bettor is willing to do.

The Minnesota Vikings Have A Difficult Road Ahead (http://www.sportsmemo.com/handicappers/ted/articles/586/)

BadlandsVikings
05-26-2006, 12:42 AM
I hope everyting rolls our way, and all the changes don't hurt us.

shawn9876uss
05-26-2006, 12:49 AM
I hope we don't have a bad season.

V4L
05-26-2006, 12:52 AM
Im predicting a down season until we get the changes rolling..

Remember last year when it took a little over half the year for our D to pretty much fully gel?

Or the Pistons for basketball.. Took them awhile to gel but now they are amazing..

We have changes in the running game, passing game, WR game, coaches and some on D...

I hope everyone isn't predicting a huge year.. It could happen.. Just remember we need to gel

SKOL
05-26-2006, 01:02 AM
"singersp" wrote:

They let former first-round wide receiver Nate Burleson depart in free agency.

Uhhh, Burleson was a third rounder.

V4L
05-26-2006, 01:05 AM
I noticed that too Skol haha..

I was like wtf, who wrote this article?

Sportsmemo!

SKOL
05-26-2006, 01:07 AM
lol, I stopped reading after that. He obviusly doesn't know a lot about the Vikings.

tampaviking
05-26-2006, 01:36 AM
last year they we're supposed to be the #1 team in the NFC, 10 bucks says that someone wrote a similiar article about the steelers at the beginning of last year

Mr. Purple
05-26-2006, 01:46 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

lol, I stopped reading after that. He obviusly doesn't know a lot about the Vikings.

Exactly. If the guy dosnt know anything about our WR's, he deff dosnt know about this team.I stopped reading also.

Mr. Purple
05-26-2006, 01:47 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

"SKOL" wrote:

Exactly. If the guy dosnt know anything about our WR's, he deff dosnt know about this team.I stopped reading also.

Muggsy
05-26-2006, 01:48 AM
Hey, y'know, stoopid stuff like dis is sumpin' we can use ta get our head on straight, y'know? Let 'em all trash us, I couldn't care less! Crap like dat will just soive ta put dat chip on our shoulder, dat swagger we needs ta woik even harder ta prove all those so-called expoits wrong, y'know?

Nobody, I mean nobody knows how da Vikes are gonna do dis year. I have liked more than I have disliked about da new coaches and players and management, so I am lookin' forwards to dis season, y'know? We'll do woise than some people said, and better than others. All I knows is, I can't wait for da season ta start!

SKOL, Vikings!

ZDoy379
05-26-2006, 01:58 AM
maybe miss cleo would know thats about it. i dont pay attention to any of the stuff reporters say. only sometimes the positive stuff like about TJ. but i think hell be sick anyways before reading all those articles. the video was it for me.

ejmat
05-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Everyone has their opinions. The fact is no one will know how they do till they get out there. He does make a lot of good points (except for the Burly thiing). However, this team seems to have a good coaching staff. That is what we've been lacking. To be honest they remind me of the Pats when they won their first SB. No one predicted them to do well that year but they had a lot of unproven good talent that came together and played well enough as a team.

I guess we'll see but I agree with mugsy. I can't wait for the season to start. I hate this time of year.

DarrinNelsonguy
05-26-2006, 02:39 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I noticed the same thing and I questioned his credability because of that as well.

NordicNed
05-26-2006, 02:52 AM
I think, just like our new uniforms, we will come out of camp with a new and determined look and way of play......

I just have this gut feeling the league is going to notice us and look at us with wide eyes and fear...

Thats right, FEAR.....This is a whole new ball game for us this year, and we will dominate.......Trust Me

COJOMAY
05-26-2006, 04:15 AM
Childress did not call the plays in Philadelphia,
I don't recall that Tice called all the plays at Minnesota either.
But what really bothers me with that quote is the writer is making is sound like Childress didn't know what was going on with the offense. Yet he was offensive coordinator. And he says exactly the opposite of what I believe a former Phildelphia player said the other day when he said that Childress ran the offense and was responsible for everything offense related and knew his stuff.
So much for this guys credibility. He's just putting some words on paper.

singersp
05-26-2006, 04:22 AM
"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

"SKOL" wrote:

Other than not knowing what round Burleson was drafted in (it wasn't his main point anyways) I thought he made some damn good observations.

Especially this one.

"It’s surely worth noting that Johnson has played in all 16 regular-season games only three times since he was drafted in the ninth round back in 1992. Behind him on the depth chart is Mike McMahon, who failed miserably as Donovan McNabb’s backup in Philadelphia last year. The Vikings quarterback situation is an accident waiting to happen."

vikeswin2005
05-26-2006, 04:30 AM
good post singer we missed ya man

VikesfaninWis
05-26-2006, 04:46 AM
The Vikes will do just fine. This assclown couldn't even get what rd Burleson was drafted in right. He bombed on that by 2 rd's... I think the opposite. They are coming out of the gates with something to prove, including the new coaches. They will be determined to win at all costs, and I see them working well as a team right from the start.

happy camper
05-26-2006, 04:59 AM
its kinda funny.

just because he got it wrong the round burleson was drafted in, everyone likes to think the whole article is crap.

basically, most of the article is correct. if you do not see the problems he pointed out, then you have some serious purple glasses on.

Ltrey33
05-26-2006, 05:11 AM
We went through a lot this offseason, and I think there WILL be a learning curve. I think we are better than that article gives us credit for, but we're still going to have growing pains, IMO.

Caine
05-26-2006, 05:23 AM
"VikingNed" wrote:

I think, just like our new uniforms, we will come out of camp with a new and determined look and way of play......

I just have this gut feeling the league is going to notice us and look at us with wide eyes and fear...

Thats right, FEAR.....This is a whole new ball game for us this year, and we will dominate.......Trust Me

Wish I shared your optimism, Ned....but, honestly, I have some serious doubts.

I am concerned about Childress, I am concerned about Darrel Bevel, and I am concerned about our offensive direction. While I am a strong proponent of a tough running game, I'm not sure that we have to skill guys to get us there. Granted, we haven't seen anyone yet, so none of my concerns are factually based...but I still worry.

I am especially concerned about Zygi. I think he's trying to do too much, keep control of too much, and hiring a lot of "wrong" people for positions. I mean, really, what do Mark Wilf and and Leonard Wilf REALLY know about football? Aside from having had Giant's season tickets, I'd be willing to bet that many of us at PP.O know more....a LOT more in some cases...than they do. I have yet to see Zygi bring in a real "Football Guy" to run the show, and that is what he really needs to do.

I worry about our Linebackers. This group has been underachieving for years. I am, however, enthused about Mike Tomlin, I hope he brings some of that Tampa Bay "kick your teeth in on D" attitude to the Vikes.

So, as the season approaches, I am not riding any of the "Hype Wagons" that invariably pop up...but neither am I dreading the start of the season. Personally, I am willing to take this season as a learning experience...provided we actually LEARN from it (Unlike the past few seasons) and build a better team. The only things I really NEED from the Vikes this season is a sweep of the Packers, a sweep of the Bears, and at least 7 total wins. Add in a dose of "building for tomorrow" and I'm happy...for now.

PS: Who thinks that our lack of a high end QB this season indicates a strong possibility of aggressively trying to sign Schaub next year?

Caine

PurplePride80
05-26-2006, 05:25 AM
"happy camper" wrote:

its kinda funny.

just because he got it wrong the round burleson was drafted in, everyone likes to think the whole article is crap.

basically, most of the article is correct. if you do not see the problems he pointed out, then you have some serious purple glasses on.

Very good point, I agree with you.

In my opinion, we've got a long way to go, but I like the improvements we've made so far.

BadlandsVikings
05-26-2006, 05:30 AM
I just hope we don't end up being a 3-13 team this year because of all the changes. That's what I'm kind of worried about.

snowinapril
05-26-2006, 05:31 AM
"SKOL" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I caught that right away too.

It made me stop reading the article.

Get your facts straight, have someone proofread your article next time. :cool:

LOL

snowinapril
05-26-2006, 05:36 AM
"happy camper" wrote:

its kinda funny.

At this point, I don't think the rest of the article is crap, I didn't read it. I don't have the right to say the article is crap.

But if he said that just because we added players and changed the surrounding, is that going to make the Viking instantly a better team. If he said no, I would have to say he is right on.

I think that a title for a good article would be Lots to Prove!

We haven't even played a game yet, it is hard to say how we are going to perform, coaches, players and office alike.

cajunvike
05-26-2006, 06:29 AM
I think that our focus on building strong offensive and defensive lines will serve us well as the season wears on...just look at the one great season that Bennett had...it was because our OL was kicking butts and taking names...no reason to think that both Chester and MeMo (both of whom have way better vision than Bennett) won't be able to get the same kind of yardage if not more next season. Brad will be just fine behind that OL as well. On DEFENSE, if we can resolve the situation in the middle *cough* Donnie Edwards *cough*, we will be just fine as well...no shortage of LBs to play the outside positions! If our DBs can cover the WRs for a long enough time, our DL will eventually get to the QB and sack him or they will force the QBs into making poor throws which will get picked off.

I don't think that we will be great, but I do think that we will be solid...if we can win the winable games, then we may just have a shot at making the playoffs...I think that one or two of the teams in the other divisions will falter, giving us a shot at a wild card...who knows, maybe Chicago will choke and we can win the division outright! Wishful thinking given their depth, but stranger things have happened!!!

Big C
05-26-2006, 08:15 AM
I am expecting a solid 9-7 season from the Vikes this year. Despite all the negatives this reporter points out, here are the positives from my perspective:

1. We actually have an Offensive Coordinator.
2. We don't have Ted Cottrell anymore.
3. Childress seems marginally better than Tice so far.
4. Solid O-Line with quality depth.
5. Finally someone who can play #1 WR.
6. Studwell and Rob B have contract extensions.
7. Fran Foley is gone. We never should have taken him in the first place, but hell we did, learnt our lesson, and fired his ass.

Even though the coaching staff has no measurable experience, I have a HELL of a lot more confidence than the lot we had last year. No doubts about it.

My biggest concern is depth behind Brad. But once I put my purple shades on that concern goes away :grin:.

DCPologirl
05-26-2006, 08:20 AM
wow it sounds like I wrote that LOL. I swear that I have made every statement that was made in that article at my bar!

cogitans
05-26-2006, 10:22 AM
I noticed the Burly thing to.

And also the thing about Childress got me going. It's not so much that he hangs his hat on the fact that Reid wanted to call his own plays, but he seems to forget that Childress were probably the most wanted HC aspirant out there, and the Vikes were lucky to bring him in, imo.

That said I would agree with Ltrey33 that there is a possible learning curve for the team, and the young coaching staff this season. But as time goes I believe - well I have to :smile: - that we've got a formula for succes.

To the rest of the article, I agree that he has some good observations despite his allready mentioned ignorant comments.

First of all we are fragile at QB. Brad will most likely do well, but if he goes down he leaves a questionmark.

Then he questions our LB core. I am one of the believers for this coming season, but it is true that almost all of our players in that group are set for a season of proving their ability.

So all in all a good artikel, glad to have you back with us singersp.

Benet
05-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Decent article, funny thing is he got the hard part right and the easy part wrong.

Bruvikes
05-26-2006, 12:56 PM
I think he made some interesting comments, but a few things he missed. 1. Team chemistry- Should be greatly improved after getting rid of alot of the problems and instilling the attitude that everyone will be treated equal.
2. We have improved at every position except QB and maybe WR.
3. Our offensive line should be very solid if not exceptional which will keep our offensive on the field and are defensive rested.
4. Have the other teams in the NFC improved more than us. I don't think so

Our we SB contenders? I don't think were there yet, but it looks like we have a very solid base. Wars are won in the trenches and I would go to war against anybody with what we have. We have some holes to fill and some others have something to prove but I feel this team is greatly improved over last year. Everyone is entitled to their opinion even if it's wrong.

singersp
05-26-2006, 01:14 PM
"Big C" wrote:

I am expecting a solid 9-7 season from the Vikes this year. Despite all the negatives this reporter points out, here are the positives from my perspective:

1. We actually have an Offensive Coordinator.
2. We don't have Ted Cottrell anymore.
3. Childress seems marginally better than Tice so far.
4. Solid O-Line with quality depth.
5. Finally someone who can play #1 WR.
6. Studwell and Rob B have contract extensions.
7. Fran Foley is gone. We never should have taken him in the first place, but hell we did, learnt our lesson, and fired his jiggly butt.

Even though the coaching staff has no measurable experience, I have a HELL of a lot more confidence than the lot we had last year. No doubts about it.

My biggest concern is depth behind Brad. But once I put my purple shades on that concern goes away :grin:.

Sorry, but I'm not sold on your first statement at all.

Derrick Bevell was only a QB coach at GB.

He was only as good as Brett Favre was & has a lot to prove to me as an offensive coordinator.

There is a big difference in being a QB coach & being an offensive coordinator & until he proves to me otherwise, I don't think he was a good choice for that coaching position.

V-Unit
05-26-2006, 04:45 PM
There are just way too many question marks to think we are the best team in the NFC North right now. A playoff team returning 21 starters is going to gather more respect than a team who barely missed the playoffs, traded away their franchise QB, and let one of their top WRs go.

I do believe we are better, but the new look Vikings haven't proved anything yet. We have at least 7 new starters and a relatively inexperienced coaching staff. If you don't have purple glasses on that doesn't look too sweet.

snowinapril
05-26-2006, 05:15 PM
"VikingNed" wrote:

Seems like New Unis or New Stadiums help a teams phyche a bit when they come out on the field. It is kind of like confession or the knowing that you have a clean slate and you can now go out and Kick Butt or Smell Like Butt. We will see how the Vikes do on the field in due time, will it be Kick or Smell?

Good thing is, we aren't getting both a Stadium and Unis in the same year!

"cajunvike" wrote:

I think that our focus on building strong offensive and defensive lines will serve us well as the season wears on...just look at the one great season that Bennett had...it was because our OL was kicking butts and taking names...no reason to think that both Chester and MeMo (both of whom have way better vision than Bennett) won't be able to get the same kind of yardage if not more next season. Brad will be just fine behind that OL as well. On DEFENSE, if we can resolve the situation in the middle *cough* Donnie Edwards *cough*, we will be just fine as well...no shortage of LBs to play the outside positions! If our DBs can cover the WRs for a long enough time, our DL will eventually get to the QB and sack him or they will force the QBs into making poor throws which will get picked off.

Good point about the Lines! I think that is where Childress said he was going to make sure were solid this year. He said it from day one. Looks like we will be fine. I think the OL is more solid than the DL. The DL is going to need to be healthy the whole season this year.

BTW, I did get a chance to go back and read the article, and what sticks out at me is it is difficult to bet on something that you know nothing about. We have had so many changes the last 2 years, there isn't a lot to hang your hat on. When we had Moss and DC, the reporters were sticking their necks out for us and we chopped them off. Now, there is no real cornerstone to build on and without a vision into the future, it would be difficult to see us doing well.

Childress I think is the cornerstone. A solid leader will have to "stay the course" so to speak and not waiver. Tice was all over the place and provided no consistancy. Stick with what you believe until the players don't believe in you and you get fired.

This season comes down to the coaches and how well of a job they can do. This is the one year that it matters the most that the coaches Bat .1000 or win the chess matches.