PDA

View Full Version : Vikings stadium will have to wait

singersp
05-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Posted on Thu, May. 18, 2006

Vikings stadium will have to wait

STADIUM DEBATES: The Twins' proposal advances after the House-Senate conference committee decides to sever the two proposals

BY BRIAN BAKST
ASSOCIATED PRESS

ST. PAUL - The Minnesota Twins stood on the doorstep late Wednesday of landing their new ballpark after a House-Senate conference committee essentially agreed to make the Vikings wait until next year for approval of their stadium.

Nothing was formally ratified, but the Senate dropped its insistence that a full financing plan for the Vikings move in lock step with a Twins proposal.

Twins Sports Inc. president Jerry Bell said Minnesota baseball fans should take heart.

"There's some reason to be optimistic they may see baseball outside, on grass. We're closer than we've been before," he said.

Despite earlier talk of having separate votes in the Legislature for Twins and Vikings proposals, the chief Senate negotiator said he wouldn't insist on making the House vote on the football stadium.

Sen. Steve Kelley, DFL-Hopkins, said he didn't want the Vikings to be marred in the future by a negative recorded vote. His offer includes language to make sure the Vikings don't have to start from square one in 2007.

"It's designed -- as much as I hate to say this -- to keep this alive for another year," he said of the Vikings portion of his offer to the House.

The committee adjourned until this afternoon. Many key details need to be worked out, and the Senate hasn't abandoned a related push for regional mass transit funding as part of the stadium bill.

All night, lawmakers were headed toward severing the two stadium proposals. The

Twins are a good bet to get their stadium while the Vikings have been clinging to fleeting hopes for several days.

Hoping for a last-minute reprieve, the Vikings tweaked their stadium plan yet again, telling the conference committee that a property tax break and proceeds from the sale of the Metrodome could help cover a funding gap for the $675 million building.

House Speaker Steve Sviggum said he was willing to bring a Vikings bill to the floor for the vote, but was making no guarantees on the outcome.

"Do we have the votes to pass it on the floor? That's not my job," Sviggum, R-Kenyon, said. "I'm certainly questioning whether there's 69 votes to pass the bill."

The Twins have stood by as the Vikings reworked their plan a few times. The fate of the two teams were hitched after the Senate passed a dual stadium bill; the House has only passed a Twins plan for a $522 million Minneapolis ballpark based on a 0.15 percent Hennepin County sales tax.

House members were firm on having a Twins-only bill. Gov. Tim Pawlenty has said a dual bill probably won't fly with him.

Rep. Neil Peterson, R-Bloomington, said neither stadium can get built if the two remained linked.

"We need to separate these conjoined twins," he said.

Rep. Brad Finstad, R-New Ulm, was more frank. "I'm not going to bring a bill back to the House floor that ties the two together."

Vikings owner Zygi Wilf has committed $280 million to the stadium and Anoka County has agreed to impose a 0.75 percent sales tax for an equal share. The remaining $115 million has been harder to come by.

"This stadium cannot be financed without some form of state participation," said Lester Bagley, a Vikings vice president.

In the latest version, the Vikings would have captured profits from the Metrodome's sale. No appraisal has been done. In addition, the team wanted a property tax exemption for the 740-acre stadium and retail development. And, if need be, it would have fallen back on taxes on game tickets, food and beverage during Vikings home games.

The Metrodome is now used by the Vikings, Twins and University of Minnesota.

Vikings stadium will have to wait (http://www.bradenton.com/mld/bradenton/news/nation/14608033.htm)

singersp
05-18-2006, 12:32 PM
From KFFL;

Vikings | Team modifies stadium proposal in hope of winning approval
Wed, 17 May 2006 19:26:49 -0700

Brian Bakst, of the Associated Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings modified their stadium plan Wednesday, May 17, by telling a conference committee that a property tax break and proceeds from the sale of the Metrodome could help cover a funding gap. The newest version of the bill has the team taking the profits from the Metrodome's sale. The team also wants a property tax exemption for the stadium and retail development and it could fall back on taxes on game tickets, food and beverage during the team's home games. House speaker Steve Sviggum said he was willing to bring the team's bill to the floor for the vote, but has made no guarantees on the outcome.

singersp
05-18-2006, 12:51 PM
Posted on Thu, May. 18, 2006

Vikings' stadium hopes likely dead

But Twins ballpark appears headed for House, Senate votes

BY ARON KAHN
Pioneer Press

Despite a massive public relations campaign and a visit from pro football's commissioner, the Minnesota Vikings' stadium chase appeared to come to an end at midnight Wednesday.

The team's last-ditch proposal went unrequited at a state legislative conference committee that spun out a mixed bag of stadium proposals in an effort to build consensus for a plan the Legislature could love.

That ultimate compromise, expected to be endorsed by the committee today, essentially will offer the original Minnesota Twins ballpark bill for an expected affirmative vote on the House and Senate floors. No referendum would be required on the Hennepin County sales tax that would finance three-quarters of the project.

But the Vikings plan will be shifted to the 2007 legislative session. That was all but assured when the team's most crucial supporter at the Capitol, Sen. Steve Kelley of Hopkins, conference committee co-chairman and DFL gubernatorial candidate, offered a proposal that instructs the team and its partner, Anoka County, to hone an agreement for a retractable roof stadium during the legislative interim.

Dave Johnson, Anoka County's lobbyist and a former state senator, said it was clear to him that neither Gov. Tim Pawlenty nor the House leadership wanted to adopt a Vikings stadium bill this year, and a reluctant Kelley conceded his uphill battle was bound for defeat.

Indeed, as legislators picked up their many documents and headed for their cars early today, Kelley said the Vikings recommendation was the best he could do for the team. Had he somehow forced a vote on the House floor, a likely defeat would taint the team's stadium campaign next year, he said.

The denouement followed a high-stakes exchange of proposals between House and Senate members — a polite but strained tug of war that began to wear out the conferees as the legislative session headed toward a Monday adjournment at the latest.

The Vikings had hoped to be part of the Twins bill, given the baseball club's success at the Capitol, but House members on the conference committee refused to tie the stadium plans together out of a fear that a conjoined Vikings proposal might kill the Twins ballpark.

"We need to separate these conjoined twins,' said Rep. Neil Peterson, R-Bloomington, in a gentle reference to a recent high-profile surgery at the Mayo Clinic.

So the Twins bill, which is essentially the measure passed by the House in April, undoubtedly will be offered on the floors of both chambers in the next couple of days as the choice of the conference committee, along with a recommendation that the Vikings crusade continue next year.

That inevitability seemed certain as House members stuck to their Twins-only plan while senators pressed several times to marry the ballpark proposal with a Vikings stadium and hence be done with the thorny matter of sports facilities for years to come.

The Twins bill calls for a 0.15 percent Hennepin County sales tax — 3 cents on a $20 purchase — that would pay for most of the $522 million open-air project in the Minneapolis Warehouse District. The team would cover the rest, plus pay for operating expenses estimated at $10 million a year. It would receive all revenue from the ballpark.

The new Vikings arrangement, to be considered next year, would pay for a $115 million retractable roof from three sources:

• A Metrodome land sale, once that stadium is not longer needed.

• An exemption from the state commercial/industrial property tax in the 740-acre stadium district in Blaine.

• "User fees" paid by Vikings fans — captured by retaining sales taxes on tickets, food and beverages for the 10 home games each year. This source would be a backup should the first two funds not raise enough cash.

"It's our best effort, our best product,' said Vikings vice president Lester Bagley.

Together with $280 million from team owner Zygi Wilf, and an equal amount from a 0.75 percent Anoka County sales tax — 15 cents on a $20 purchase — the arrangement would create a $675 million stadium.

The proposal forgoes another $115 million that the Vikings and Anoka County had been seeking from the state for expedited road improvements — which previously brought the price tag to $790 million.

The committee still needs to reconcile a transit matter. Senators want the Twins bill to include money for mass transit improvements while House members say the issue should be addressed in a transportation bill.

Meanwhile, a second conference committee Wednesday night began trying to reconcile major differences in bills that would pave the way for a $248 million football stadium on the University of Minnesota's Minneapolis campus.

The House plan calls for the 50,000-seat open-air stadium to be built with a $9.4 million-a-year state payment, a $50-a-year student fee and a $35 million naming rights deal with TCF Bank. It also requires the university to create a huge nature preserve in Rosemount and eventually allow the state to buy the property for $1.

The Senate version increases the state contribution to $12.9 million a year and drops the student fee, the TCF naming rights deal and the nature preserve agreement. It was to be funded by a statewide sports memorabilia tax, but the committee voted Wednesday night to delete it from the compromise bill.

Aron Kahn can be reached at akahn@pioneerpress.com or 651-228-5420.

Vikings' stadium hopes likely dead (http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/14605547.htm)

vikeswin2005
05-18-2006, 12:52 PM
DUMB

jaymz7
05-18-2006, 01:06 PM
It is a shame that they can't get this resolved.

singersp
05-18-2006, 02:28 PM
If they don't get it done this year, don't they realize the cost will go up next year?

All it will do is postpone any tax increase one lousy year.

The way this is going, I'm beginning to loose faith that a Vikings stadium will ever get built.....

.....at least in Minnesota.

mnjamie
05-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Agree with ya Singer.

It makes no sense, with the way the Fed has been raising rates, to wait another year. Why not get them all done in one year? As previously stated, costs are only going to go up and both sides are going to only get more pissed at each other.

Fucking politians only wanted to forgo the Vikes proposal as they new it was an election year and didn't sense the public was fulling behind the Vikes proposal.

No offense to anyone, but screw the Twinkies. I'm not a baseball fan and everytime I see a twins game on TV, the place is empty. Empty like the way Devil Rays games look like on TV also down here in Tampa.

I hope one of two things happens:

a) Wilf and Anoka county (or the NFL) work out a deal where they can circumvent the state for the most part (u can't get around them completely) and then they cant' take any credit what-so-ever for anything.

OR

b) Wilf pulls a Norm Green and moves this team out of MN right under everyone's nose. The MN gov't in general is in chaos. When I left MN in 2001, there was a HUGE surplus and now the state is operating in the red ??? Then we will hear everyone crying about not having the Vikings, the way they did when the North Stars did ....... and they can all become PACKER FANS !!!!! For being so short-sighted and not being able to see the forest through the trees.

Ltrey33
05-18-2006, 03:03 PM
:sad: Guess we'll have to wait 'til next year....

KorenWhiskey
05-18-2006, 03:22 PM
I just don't understand it. You have a cheapskate owner in Pohlad. who is going to get a new stadium. Then they say no to a guy that wants to pump 1 BILLION into the states economy. That should automatically get the Vikes stadium done. They are morons.

Prophet
05-18-2006, 03:27 PM
"KorenWhiskey" wrote:

I just don't understand it. You have a cheapskate owner in Pohlad. who is going to get a new stadium. Then they say no to a guy that wants to pump 1 BILLION into the states economy. That should automatically get the Vikes stadium done. They are morons.

I agree, either they are morons or there is something we don't know about...I'm going with morons. $1,000,000,000 pumped into the economy sure can't hurt. Just to put that into perspective, if you earned a dollar for every second that you are alive you would be 32 yrs old before you had a billion dollars. Crazy.

NodakPaul
05-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Don't focus on the negative so much that you miss out on the positives.

We did not get the stadium this year. But we have come much farther in Zygi's first year an owner than we did in the entire Red era. It was a very long shot to for the Vikings to get the satdium this year anyway. The fact that we almost did speak volumes for the marketing and business prowless of Zygi.

We should be glad that both the Twins and the Gophers will likely get their stadiums approved this year. That will leave the Vikings as the sole stadium contender next year. Politicians who were in support of both or all three stadiums can now focus their energy in just one direction, instead of all three. And there won't be the emphasis on having to "choose" between stadiums.

Anoka County and Zygi are also under orders to work out some kind of retactable roof. This is good for obth the Vikings and Anoka County. I love the idea of outdoor games as much as the next guy, but I also want to see a superbowl in Minnesota again. Without the retractable roof, we could have the nicest stadium in the NFL, but still not get a superbowl bid (QWest field anyone?).

We have come miles this legislative session. We have bipartisan support. We have leaders in each of the major committees on board. We will get this done next year.

We haven't won the war yet, but we have definately won some battles. Skol.

NodakPaul
05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
One mroe thing to note: The Vikings stadium bill has not been defeated. It has never received a "no" vote. It just won't come to vote until next session (or, in theory, it could come under a special session called by the governor, but don't count on it).

viking_40
05-18-2006, 03:50 PM
From a selfish viewpoint as a UK supporter, I don't care where the Vikes play........as long as it's Minnesota.

A superbowl held in Minnesota would be great but I, like Mr Wilf (not minding about the roof) don't mind where it's held if we're in it and win it.

I just hope this waiting till next year won't mean we end up in LA :(

COJOMAY
05-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I guess what disappointes me so much is that the state will just get some sales tax dollars (.03 on $20) as a payback for the Twins. They won't get anything on from the U of M stadium except a nature preserve.
Yet the Vikings are building a BILLION dollar complex with a hospital, apartments, and a retail shopping center plus the stadium that will bring in a HUGE amount of tax money and people to the state to work. All of this will mean the state get over 1 Billion and 650 thousand dollars in facilities for a lousy $270 million in road funds. What's not to understand here?

BigEasyViking
05-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Well lets just hope that they don't wait to long to get this stadium in the works. LA is chomping at the bit for a new team and if we can't get a stadium in the next year or two then guess who will be filling their needs! I swear that I will be so Pissed if we just let the Vikes walk out of town.

VikesfaninWis
05-18-2006, 04:54 PM
It sounds to me that the the people voting on these stadiums have favorites.. Now is the owner of the Twins putting in this much of his own money to build the Twins stadium? I hope Zygi gets a hair across his a$$ and says screw all of you.. I would hate to see the Vikes move from Minnesota, but it seems like as long as they stay there, they will always be in a bad spotlight with the media, and everyone else.. It wouldn't shock me at all if Zygi is right now looking for a new home for the Minnesota Vikings..

Prophet
05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
KFFL
Vikings | New stadium appears dead at this time
Thu, 18 May 2006 06:24:35 -0700

The Star Tribune reports the Minnesota Vikings' hopes for a new stadium appeared dead as legislators late Wednesday, May 17, moved closer to making a new stadium for the Minnesota Twins a reality. The plan for the Twins' stadium would not require the county to hold a referendum before levying the tax. However, Sen. Steve Kelley recommended that the Vikings' proposal for a stadium in Blaine be considered next year. Lester Bagley, the Vikings' lead negotiator, said, "We're disappointed with the development. I hate to say it's over, but for the session, we've still got a couple of ticks on the clock." The Vikings, who two days earlier said they would not request state aid or a retractable roof for their proposed stadium in Blaine, ran a reverse Wednesday night, saying they needed $115 million from the state in the form of tax exemptions and proceeds from the sale of the Metrodome to pay for the roof.

JellyBean2144
05-18-2006, 04:56 PM
What is the hold up? I mean, it should be a done deal by now, gee.

cajunvike
05-18-2006, 04:57 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F'N POLITICIANS!!!!

BadlandsVikings
05-18-2006, 05:03 PM
This just sucks, vote these losers out of office.

VikesfaninWis
05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

This just sucks, vote these losers out of office.

I'm with you on that one.. If that were to happen, then they would all be wondering why..

ItalianStallion
05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Well when politicians read polls that say 73% of citizens DO NOT support public funding of a new stadium, what do you expect? Obviously the dedicated fans here are not representative of the Minnesota population.

Prophet
05-18-2006, 05:20 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Well when politicians read polls that say 73% of citizens DO NOT support public funding of a new stadium, what do you expect? Obviously the dedicated fans here are not representative of the Minnesota population.

Good point. Screw the 73% and the politicians then! :cool:

petrodemos
05-18-2006, 06:10 PM
alright, say they dont get a stadium, instead of moving to LA cause the chargers will be moving there soon, what if they were to move to Fargo, or souix falls? heck, what IF even Winnipeg? would minnesotianites still support the vikings?

now wether those cities could hold there own to support the vikings is one thing, but if they could still draw the minnesota fans out to those cities.... would you?

NodakPaul
05-18-2006, 06:24 PM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Polls are subject to many types of bias, especially when they are worded around taxes. There is selection bias, interviewer bias, question bias. Just because ome poll run by the local newspaper makes a claim about the support of the general public doesn't mean that it is accurate by any means. And, you can run a poll about any major public funding and you will get the same results.

Do you support public funding of the Mall of America?
Do you support public funding of the Best Buy Corporate HeadQuarters?
Do you support public funding of various buildings in Minneapolis's theatre district?

All three of these would probably get the same type of negative response, but legislators had the forsight to recognize that all of them contributed to Minnesota both culturally and financially, and it made sense to spend the public money.

They Vikings are the same way, and believe it or not, most legislators know this. So are the Twins and the Gophers. All three need new stadiums. With the Twins and Gophers out of the way, the Vikings are sure to follow.

Muggsy
05-18-2006, 06:29 PM
I'm so fed up wit' dese spineless politician types, I'm kinda hopin' da Vikes DO move somewheres else, an' let Zygi give 'em da big middle finger as dey go, y'know?

snowinapril
05-18-2006, 07:08 PM
"Muggsy" wrote:

I'm so fed up wit' dese spineless politician types, I'm kinda hopin' da Vikes DO move somewheres else, an' let Zygi give 'em da big middle finger as dey go, y'know?

I hear ya, I can hardly talk about this anymore without getting angry.

The good thing is we need to get atleast one stadium underway. When people see how much fun the new Twins stadium is, they will be closer to getting on the band wagon. Just think, if we got the Twins stadium going a few years back, we would be seeing the Vikings stadium closer to going through.

People can't hardly imagine the expense of 1 stadium, how can anyone expect them to comprehend two at a time.

RK.
05-18-2006, 07:18 PM
It will take at least 4 yrs to build a new stadium from what I have read. The Dome lease is done in 2011. They have to start construction next year. Early next year. Don't be surprised to hear rumors of Wilf meeting with other venues to explore the idea of moving the team. If I were Wilf I would put a time limit on the State to get the deal done. Draw a line in the sand.

I suggest we all get used to calling the team simply "The Vikings" and not the Minnesota Vikings.

boognish
05-18-2006, 07:21 PM
"RK." wrote:

It will take at least 4 yrs to build a new stadium from what I have read. The Dome lease is done in 2011. They have to start construction next year. Early next year. Don't be surprised to hear rumors of Wilf meeting with other venues to explore the idea of moving the team. If I were Wilf I would put a time limit on the State to get the deal done. Draw a line in the sand.

I suggest we all get used to calling the team simply "The Vikings" and not the Minnesota Vikings.

Somebody should create a poll asking whether or not fans would still consider the Vikings their favorite team were they to move. I, for one, would consider the LA Vikings my least favorite team in the League.

Del Rio
05-18-2006, 07:59 PM
"boognish" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

Somebody should create a poll asking whether or not fans would still consider the Vikings their favorite team were they to move. I, for one, would consider the LA Vikings my least favorite team in the League.

There was a big thread about this last year. Someone asked if the Vikings moved would they still be your favorite team? It was pretty interesting all the different responses.

I have limited feelings towards the issue. I want them to remain the Vikings, but if they move I can only blame Minnesota. If the move and change the name (most likely) then I would be upset. If they kept everything the same (names minus minnesota, jerseys, colors,) and just changed states, I could care less, move them to Utah I would be in heaven.

Ddawg84
05-18-2006, 08:01 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

We did not get the stadium this year. But we have come much farther in Zygi's first year an owner than we did in the entire Red era. It was a very long shot to for the Vikings to get the satdium this year anyway. The fact that we almost did speak volumes for the marketing and business prowless of Zygi.

We should be glad that both the Twins and the Gophers will likely get their stadiums approved this year. That will leave the Vikings as the sole stadium contender next year. Politicians who were in support of both or all three stadiums can now focus their energy in just one direction, instead of all three. And there won't be the emphasis on having to "choose" between stadiums.

Anoka County and Zygi are also under orders to work out some kind of retactable roof. This is good for obth the Vikings and Anoka County. I love the idea of outdoor games as much as the next guy, but I also want to see a superbowl in Minnesota again. Without the retractable roof, we could have the nicest stadium in the NFL, but still not get a superbowl bid (QWest field anyone?).

We have come miles this legislative session. We have bipartisan support. We have leaders in each of the major committees on board. We will get this done next year.

We haven't won the war yet, but we have definately won some battles. Skol.

Great points... I agree 100% The Vikings getting a new stadium was not even really in the plans this year until Wilf did such a good job of trying to get something done, that the government had no choice but to pay attention to him. Plus, we should be very happy about the increasing chances that the gophers and twins will get their stadiums built. Not only am I a big fan of both of them, but hopefully in the near future our state will see what these new features can do for our economy!

C-PepNSalt
05-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Target Center and Xcel Center ring a bell?? Especially the Xcel center...that place is amazing!!

VikingPatrick
05-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Any team that moves to LA will be sorely dissapointed!!
The LA fan base is very fickle. When the Rams were here, as long as they were winning the fans would come to the games. When they stunk they would not, Hence they left for greener pastures!
The Raiders could NEVER sell out the Collosium, not only is the surrounding area quagmire of filth, the atmosphere prevented any families attending the games. It is NOT an area the NFL should even consider.
If they were serious, they should look to Anaheim and build something around Angels Stadium.
It would be a better enviroment, BUT a relocated team will STILL have problems. The fans would want something NEW and not recycled.
God forbid the Vikings moved here please do the right thing and leave your NAME, COLORS, and HISTORY in Minnesota where it belongs.
Players and owners change all the time, but tradition cannot be replaced!!

petrodemos
05-18-2006, 09:35 PM
yeah i always wondered why they want to push for a team in LA, i mean how many chances are they going to give them? so its the #1 tv vewers or whatever, they never went to games before when teams sucked and why would that change?

last a heard though the chargers arent doing to good and might be the front runner to move to LA.

darkmage2012
05-18-2006, 10:11 PM
i think these mother F'ING politians just need a swift kick in the a$$. the twins suck so they will sell little tickets and minnesota is on the rise and will sell out all the f'ing time. plus the vikings have the better bill. WTF is wrong with those dam politians

olson_10
05-18-2006, 10:14 PM
you know what..thats a really good thing..the vikings arent going anywhere no matter what anyways, but the twins could be gone by next season if a stadium deal doesnt get done immediately..id rather the twins get their ballpark approved now, and the vikings get theirs next season if it means the twins will be staying in minnesota..the vikings are going to get theirs for sure next year, so its nothing to worry about

RK.
05-18-2006, 10:22 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

yeah i always wondered why they want to push for a team in LA, i mean how many chances are they going to give them? so its the #1 tv vewers or whatever, they never went to games before when teams sucked and why would that change?

last a heard though the chargers arent doing to good and might be the front runner to move to LA.

LA sucks as a football town. Considering the demographics there now I think they would have to rename the team to the "Vaqueros" :roll:

ItalianStallion
05-18-2006, 10:27 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Polls are subject to many types of bias, especially when they are worded around taxes. There is selection bias, interviewer bias, question bias. Just because ome poll run by the local newspaper makes a claim about the support of the general public doesn't mean that it is accurate by any means. And, you can run a poll about any major public funding and you will get the same results.

Do you support public funding of the Mall of America?
Do you support public funding of the Best Buy Corporate HeadQuarters?
Do you support public funding of various buildings in Minneapolis's theatre district?

All three of these would probably get the same type of negative response, but legislators had the forsight to recognize that all of them contributed to Minnesota both culturally and financially, and it made sense to spend the public money.

They Vikings are the same way, and believe it or not, most legislators know this. So are the Twins and the Gophers. All three need new stadiums. With the Twins and Gophers out of the way, the Vikings are sure to follow.

This speaks more to the lack of economic forsight on behalf of Minnesotans than it does statistical bias. If the majority of Minnesotans did in fact support the Vikings stadium efforts (despite wording with questions) a new stadium deal would have gotten done in the past 8 years.

NodakPaul
05-18-2006, 10:27 PM
One thing the Vikings organization has been very upfront about is that they were not in competition with the Twins or the Gophers. They have maintained that all three needed new stadiums. And they are right.

We need to stop complaining about the Twins getting a stadium just because the Vikings didn't. In the end it is still a step forward for the Vikings. The Vikings still have support in the legislature. That support will continue through to the next session, where the Vikings will likely be the only stadium bill under consideration.

darkmage2012
05-18-2006, 11:29 PM
but just the same we have to start the contruction of our new stadium pronto because they dont build overnight and we are running out of time on the metrodome. but this does mean that we have a GREAT GREAT chance at getting our stadium next year.

VikesfaninWis
05-18-2006, 11:39 PM
I for one will be a Viking fan no matter what.. If they move, I will still love them. If the change their name, I will still love them.. It's not the city, or state that we love as much as it is the players and staff. I don't like the Vikings because they are from Minnesota, I like the Vikings because of the tradition, and their players and coaches..

I know the Vikes will eventually get approved for a new stadium, but I won't be surprised if Wilf finds a new home for the Vikings before that happens. These people in Minnesota are basically pushing the Vikings right out of the state. They don't want to approve a stadium to a team that is putting the most money into the project, and also the city.. Yet they will approve a college team stadium, and a baseball team stadium where they are not putting even a fraction of the personal money that Wilf is.

singersp
05-19-2006, 01:11 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Muggsy" wrote:

I hear ya, I can hardly talk about this anymore without getting angry.

The good thing is we need to get atleast one stadium underway. When people see how much fun the new Twins stadium is, they will be closer to getting on the band wagon. Just think, if we got the Twins stadium going a few years back, we would be seeing the Vikings stadium closer to going through.

People can't hardly imagine the expense of 1 stadium, how can anyone expect them to comprehend two at a time.

I doubt it. They will be bitching about the extra taxes they have to pay.

IMO the Vikings won't get one next year either or the year after that. With the people already paying a higher tax they'll be bitching ywice as loud as they did this year at the mere mention of a Vikings stadium.

I believe the Vikings missed the window of opportunity. The dome lease is up in 2011 & the time to build a stadium was now.

The only way a stadium deal gets done in the near future is if Wilf & Anoka county pay for it themselves.

Vikes_King
05-19-2006, 01:15 AM
well, i think the twins were much more likely to move from minnesota than the vikes, so its good to hear they'll most likely get their stadium and stay right here.

dissapointing hearing that theres no hope for this year really anymore, but like others have said (i just skimmed through some), we have a much greater chance next year, and Wilf has done so much more in stadium efforts than we could have ever hoped for with Red in 1 single year

RK.
05-19-2006, 01:27 AM
I don't understand why people think the chances will be better next year. The only difference between doing it this year and next year is that next year it will cost more. :roll:

Aberration
05-19-2006, 01:33 AM
yeah you would think they could find a way to let the Vikes spend so much money developing in Blaine, I think they just need more time to figure out the Vikes stadium roof, no roof and more importantly how they are going to pay for it ect with something so big anyone else get the feeling they are trying to figure such things out in the last minute?

RK.
05-19-2006, 01:40 AM
"Aberration" wrote:

yeah you would think they could find a way to let the Vikes spend so much money developing in Blaine, I think they just need more time to figure out the Vikes stadium roof, no roof and more importantly how they are going to pay for it ect with something so big anyone else get the feeling they are trying to figure such things out in the last minute?
Last minute? They have had a proposal in front of them for nearly 6 years.

Prophet
05-19-2006, 01:44 AM
"RK." wrote:

"Aberration" wrote:

Six years is not very long in Ent time.

RK.
05-19-2006, 02:03 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"RK." wrote:

"Aberration" wrote:

Six years is not very long in Ent time.
Yeah I suppose it is sort of moot. :lol:

Muggsy
05-19-2006, 05:39 AM
How come we gotta wait until next year to find out if we get a new stadium or not, y'know?

Man, dem politicians sure have a long summer vacation.

Warp
05-19-2006, 07:16 AM
Wow this is very disapointing. I was hoping so badly that we could get this done and start building. Well i just hope it gets done next year then, the vikes cant leave! :sad:

olson_10
05-19-2006, 07:23 AM
"Warp" wrote:

Wow this is very disapointing. I was hoping so badly that we could get this done and start building. Well i just hope it gets done next year then, the vikes cant leave! :sad:
its no worry at all..they wont be going anywhere..this is happening to ensure that the twins dont move out of minnesota..wilf has committed 1 billion dollars of his own money to keep the team in minnesota, which guarentees us a stadium deal next year..minnesota sports fans should be happy about this because the twins arent going to be moving anywhere in the near future now..do you really think wilf would put that much of his own money on the table if he really plans to pack up and leave in a year? get real people, the stadium deal is in place with anoka county, and it will only take another year or most likely less to finalize it, while the twins deal will be finalized to keep all of minnesotas sports fans happy for many years to come

olson_10
05-19-2006, 07:26 AM
"RK." wrote:

"Aberration" wrote:

its not last minute at all, because wilf putting 1 billion dollars towards this project clearly shows that he fully intends on getting this stadium deal done in any time frame..there is no such thing as last minute, especially when this deal has been on the table for the amount of time its been

olson_10
05-19-2006, 07:30 AM
"darkmage2012" wrote:

but just the same we have to start the contruction of our new stadium pronto because they dont build overnight and we are running out of time on the metrodome. but this does mean that we have a GREAT GREAT chance at getting our stadium next year.
lol dude, 2011 is 5 years away..the stadium will take 1-2 years to build, whats the rush?? its either the vikings get their stadium this year, and the twins move out of minnesota..or..the twins get their stadium started this year, and the vikings get their deal done later this year/next year around this time..as a minnesota sports fan, which would you prefer??

Benet
05-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow.

Just. Wow.

I'm surprised so many people expected the Vikings to get their stadium bill through at all. It's been obvious from the start that the Twins and Gophers Bills' were the favoured bills throughout this legislative session. And to those who say the Vikings Stadium Bill didn't look like a last minute shuffle, it certainly didn't look that way. As some have already said, there was more progress made in the last 6 mnonths than had been made in the last 6 YEARS. But seriously, shacking up with the Twins Bill smacked of desperation, then changing the financing of the Bill TWICE in the manner of a week only gave the impression (at least to me) of increasing desperation. And don't get me started on the decision to go without a retractable roof after deciding 3 months ago that a roof was an integral part of the stadium.

The Vikings will not up sticks and move purely because they didn't get their Bill through this year. The Twins, however, almost certainly would have. The Gophers have needed an on-campus stadium for years.

While I'm not saying the Vikings don't need a new stadium (check out the double negative), it was never very likely that they would leapfrog the queue or hitch a ride with the Twins to get it through in this legislative session. Don't worry, we're not going to see the Los Angeles Vikings. If we do, I'll eat my hat.

whiteviking24
05-19-2006, 11:21 AM
The Twins sold 8,000 LESS season tickets this year !!!

good thing they got their stadium and make us wait....

Being in Minnesota I will tell you that the people who live here will never let the day happen were the Vikings leave Minnesota, RELAX.

singersp
05-19-2006, 12:21 PM
"olson_10" wrote:

"darkmage2012" wrote:

lol dude, 2011 is 5 years away..the stadium will take 1-2 years to build, whats the rush?? its either the vikings get their stadium this year, and the twins move out of minnesota..or..the twins get their stadium started this year, and the vikings get their deal done later this year/next year around this time..as a minnesota sports fan, which would you prefer??

I rather doubt it. Next year the affected Minnesotan's will already be paying higher taxes because of the Twins & possibly the gophers new stadiums.

The mere mention of another tax increase next year for a new Vikings stadium, will have them screaming "NO" twice as loud.

singersp
05-19-2006, 01:00 PM
From scout.com / VikingsUpdate.com;

Wait 'Til Next Year

By: John Holler

Date: May 19, 2006

Minnesota is likely to keep the Twins thanks to a stadium deal and has no choice but to build a stadium for the University of Minnesota. But the Vikings deal, for this year anyway, appears dead on arrival. Yet, that may be the best thing for the Vikings in the big picture of things.

The Vikings stadium deal, which was arguably tacked on to a Twins baseball stadium deal for no other reason than partisan politics, is dead in the water. Sounds like bad news. But, in reality, it may end up as positive news for Vikings fans.

The excitement raised by the potential of a Vikings stadium deal jumping to the front of the line in the begrudging acceptance of Minnesota legislators has been dashed. As has been written here numerous times in the past, it takes the potential of a franchise leaving before state politicos get off their duffs to stand up and be counted for. Fortunately for the career politicians that don’t want to make waves in an election year, the Vikings stadium has been effectively pushed another year out.

On its own, the Vikings stadium deal has a good chance of getting public acceptance. Zygi Wilf has never said he said he would take the Vikings out of Minnesota – despite lucrative offers available in Los Angeles. By contrast, Twins owner Carl Pohlad was willing to contract his own team from Major League Baseball. You can draw your own conclusions from that act. Yet, it got a decade of inaction moving in both state and local government to “save” the Twins franchise.

As it stands now, it appears that a Twins stadium deal is close to being finalized and a University of Minnesota stadium deal has a better-than-average shot of being done as well. So where does that leave the Vikings? A year away from convincing legislators of the obvious – if any professional franchise should happen to leave Minnesota, it shouldn’t be the Vikings.

Many supporters of the Vikings stadium deal agreed with the recent decision to separate the stadium issues – much less the millions in “transit funding” that would have been included in any legislation that would have addressed an Anoka County stadium plan. The governor wouldn’t sign it. A referendum likely wouldn’t have passed. Sooner than later, we would have to accept that the Los Angeles Vikings would be playing within miles of the Lakers – another Minnesota export.

A one-year delay on getting a Vikings deal done is not something that should be construed as positive. It’s not. But, with the Twins and most likely the University of Minnesota out of the way, the Vikings stadium plan – which would guarantee $1 billion in private investment in an area devoid of working monetary capital – would have a better chance of passing in a non-election year. Nobody ever said politics makes sense. But, when faced with the reality of turning one’s back on one of America’s greatest cash cows, common sense will get a chance to be heard.

FRIDAY NOTES

* Brad Childress will be reunited with another of his former charges, thanks to a trade struck Thursday. The Vikings sent undrafted free agent rookie Hank Baskett to the Eagles in exchange for third-year wide receiver Billy McMullen. McMullen never found a place in the Eagles offense, but he is familiar with the terminology with the offensive system Childress is going to incorporate with the Vikings. Barring injury, expect to see McMullen make the final 53-man roster.

*The Vikings released defensive back Laroni Gallishaw Thursday.

* The Rams are looking to add a veteran defensive lineman to their roster and one of the names being tossed out if former Viking Jason Fisk. While Rams head coach Scott Linehan has no first-hand knowledge of Fisk, VU has been told that he has been given solid recommendations by former Vikings personnel.

Wait 'Til Next Year (http://vikings.scout.com/2/532327.html)

bfld
05-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Olson_10 is right: there's plenty of time before the lease ends in 2011. Don't panic.

PurpleAndy
05-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Unbelievable.

At this point, I don't see any reason for the Vikings to stay in Minnesota. I don't want them to move, but if 73% of the population doesn't want to pay for a new stadium, chances are they're not going to get one built any time soon. God knows that no politician is going to risk alienating that much of the constituency.

It really bothers me that the Twins are getting a new stadium and the Vikings aren't. Much like most of the country, I can't stand Major League Baseball. Does anyone know how much revenue the Twins generate for the economy vs. the Vikings?

I'll be a fan of the Vikings wherever they go. I just hope it's not Los Angeles, cause I'd feel really dirty about cheering for California.

Vikes_King
05-20-2006, 01:47 AM
"PurpleAndy" wrote:

Unbelievable.

At this point, I don't see any reason for the Vikings to stay in Minnesota. I don't want them to move, but if 73% of the population doesn't want to pay for a new stadium, chances are they're not going to get one built any time soon. God knows that no politician is going to risk alienating that much of the constituency.

It really bothers me that the Twins are getting a new stadium and the Vikings aren't. Much like most of the country, I can't stand Major League Baseball. Does anyone know how much revenue the Twins generate for the economy vs. the Vikings?

I'll be a fan of the Vikings wherever they go. I just hope it's not Los Angeles, cause I'd feel really dirty about cheering for California.

first of all, people never want higher taxes, no matter what its for, the bill will be passed if not next year, probably with in the next 2-3 years, (lets say 2, making it 2008), then the stadium will be built before our lease expires in 2011..

i really dont see them moving because of this, Wilf just dropped a lot of cash in advertising and other investments to get a new stadium in Minnesota, he's not going to drop even more to move to California with the Band Wagon Fans. He's a buissiness man, moving is bad buissiness

singersp
05-20-2006, 02:01 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

"PurpleAndy" wrote:

Unbelievable.

first of all, people never want higher taxes, no matter what its for, the bill will be passed if not next year, probably with in the next 2-3 years, (lets say 2, making it 2008), then the stadium will be built before our lease expires in 2011..

i really dont see them moving because of this, Wilf just dropped a lot of cash in advertising and other investments to get a new stadium in Minnesota, he's not going to drop even more to move to California with the Band Wagon Fans. He's a buissiness man, moving is bad buissiness

Do you have any idea how much the stadium cost will rise in 2-3 years?

They'd have been better off doing it now. In the long run they'd have been money ahead.

marshallvike
05-20-2006, 02:11 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

We haven't won the war yet, but we have definately won some battles. Skol.well said nodak

BadlandsVikings
05-20-2006, 02:18 AM
In 2 to 3 years the cost of the stadium will double or triple. Build it now and save the whole state money.

RK.
05-20-2006, 03:26 AM

In 2 to 3 years the cost of the stadium will double or triple. Build it now and save the whole state money.
Not that much. According to the official estimates 25-30 million a year is added to the cost because of inflation.

HERE is the official pdf for the project from Anoka county. (http://www.anokacounty.us/EconomicDevelopment/stadium/pdf/stadium-project-summary.pdf)

BadlandsVikings
05-20-2006, 03:36 AM
"RK." wrote:

Not that much. According to the official estimates 25-30 million a year is added to the cost because of inflation.

HERE is the official pdf for the project from Anoka county. (http//www.anokacounty.us/EconomicDevelopment/stadium/pdf/stadium-project-summary.pdf)I admit I was exaggertaing, but 25-30 million a year is still a lot of money.

singersp
05-20-2006, 04:44 AM
"RK." wrote:

HERE is the official pdf for the project from Anoka county. (http://www.anokacounty.us/EconomicDevelopment/stadium/pdf/stadium-project-summary.pdf)

That's the problem. How many years do you think it will take them to collect just the 25-30 million in increases?

Had we got the Vikings stadium & the taxes were gathered starting this year, they wouldn't have had to pay the extra 25-30 million.

Instead of starting to pay towards the stadium this year, they'll be paying for several years just to make up that 25-30 million increase it will now cost them.

Then when they finally reach that point, they'd still owe for the original cost of what they would have paid for the stadium, this year.

In other words, instead of paying for the Vikings stadium in lets say 30 years, had they passed it this year, it will now take them 40 years.

Pay for 10 years longer just because they wanted to wait 1 or 2 more years? It doesn't make sense to me.

PackSux!
05-20-2006, 06:34 AM
"Benet" wrote:

Wow.

Just. Wow.

I'm surprised so many people expected the Vikings to get their stadium bill through at all. It's been obvious from the start that the Twins and Gophers Bills' were the favoured bills throughout this legislative session. And to those who say the Vikings Stadium Bill didn't look like a last minute shuffle, it certainly didn't look that way. As some have already said, there was more progress made in the last 6 mnonths than had been made in the last 6 YEARS. But seriously, shacking up with the Twins Bill smacked of desperation, then changing the financing of the Bill TWICE in the manner of a week only gave the impression (at least to me) of increasing desperation. And don't get me started on the decision to go without a retractable roof after deciding 3 months ago that a roof was an integral part of the stadium.

The Vikings will not up sticks and move purely because they didn't get their Bill through this year. The Twins, however, almost certainly would have. The Gophers have needed an on-campus stadium for years.

While I'm not saying the Vikings don't need a new stadium (check out the double negative), it was never very likely that they would leapfrog the queue or hitch a ride with the Twins to get it through in this legislative session. Don't worry, we're not going to see the Los Angeles Vikings. If we do, I'll eat my hat.

Finally somebody with some sense speaks up. For all you other people saying why not build all three? How many other states would even think of building three new stadiums in one year? being from northern minnesota i am glad the Twins are getting a new stadium and staying put, I know alot of old timers whos only joy in life besides fishing is the minnesota Twins. And the Gophers should of had a on campus stadium long ago, what other college dont? Like a few others have said before this, the Vikings have made more of a push for a stadium then ever before and i guarantee old Ziggi understands the Dollar sign potential of a new complex named the Northern lights rather then give up and move the team.

singersp
05-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Vikings to Rebuild Stadium Effort

By: Viking Update Staff

Date: May 20, 2006

The Vikings' lack of a stadium deal in this legislative session is seen as a blow to some, but in many ways could serve as a better deal for Zygi Wilf than if it had remained in play for the 2006 session.

The stadium talk around Minnesota is finally going to die down in the next few days, as the Twins pop the champagne corks and the Vikings stand by on the sidelines and watch. But that isn't such a bad thing in the big picture of things.

The truth of the matter is that there was a growing resentment that the Vikings had "coat-tailed" their stadium into the Twins' bill that had resoundingly passed the House of Representatives. While the Vikings stadium inclusion in the Senate bill wasn't their idea, nothing was done on the Vikings' end to dissuade politicians from clumping the stadiums together.

By having the Vikings deal off the table, it may actually help the team's chances of getting a stadium deal accomplished. As it stood, there would have been an unpopular tax applied to the stadium that not only would have funneled billions to transit programs, but it was a bill that would not have been signed by the governor and almost assuredly would have been voted down if it went to a referendum -- effectively killing future chances of getting a stadium deal.

With the Twins stadium a done deal and the governor proclaiming that the Twins are as much a part of Minnesota as fishing, it's now the Vikings' turn to step up front and center. With the commitment to keep baseball already in place, the Vikings can step in during a non-election year and get the funding they need to build their own new stadium.

In the long run, it may be for the best that the Vikings got sent to the back of the line in the stadium debate. Their stadium plan deserves to rise or fall on its own merits. Now it

Vikings to Rebuild Stadium Effort (http://vikings.scout.com/2/532656.html)

Muggsy
05-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Why do we have to wait until next year? Are all da politicians going home for da rest of da year? What are they doin' for da next seven months?

Property0f
05-22-2006, 12:04 AM
STATE FINANCES TWINS, GOPHERS STADIUMS, COMMITS TO VIKINGS SOLUTION IN 2007

With only hours remaining in the 2006 Minnesota legislative session, the State Legislature approved bills Saturday that will finance a new ballpark for the Minnesota Twins and a new football stadium for the University of Minnesota. When the House and the Senate approved House File 2480, which will build an open-air ballpark for the Twins in Minneapolis, the legislature set up the Vikings stadium issue to be resolved when they reconvene in January 2007. The stadium bills will now move to Governor Pawlenty's desk for final approval and signature.

Included in the Twins legislation is language that moves the Vikings stadium proposal significantly forward for the 2007 legislative session, which Vikings' Owner Zygi Wilf considers a victory for the team.

"Although we feel there was an opportunity to resolve all three stadium issues this year, we credit legislators for the monumental effort to finance two stadiums, and for securing the Twins as a long-term asset for the state of Minnesota," said Wilf. "We're also very pleased with the commitment from state leaders that the Vikings will be a priority for the 2007 session."

House File 2480 affirmed that upon the sale of the Metrodome, the proceeds and assets, estimated by the House-Senate Conference Committee on stadiums to be approximately $45 million by the year 2011, will be placed in a football stadium account and be used to pay for the construction of a Vikings football stadium. Additional language required the Vikings to further develop their stadium financing proposal and bring it back for consideration during the 2007 legislative session.

"Essentially, the Vikings received a down payment on a future football stadium," said Lester Bagley, Vikings Vice President of Public Affairs and Stadium Development. "It is significant progress toward resolving this long-standing problem next year. For the Vikings, next year begins next week. We will move forward as aggressively as we can to ensure a timely solution."

The Vikings and Wilf ownership group have proposed a major development in Blaine that includes retail shops and restaurants, residential housing, space for corporate offices, a hotel and conference center and 260 acres of preserved wetlands, all of which will surround a state-of-the-art retractable-roof stadium for the Vikings. The proposal includes a $1 billion private investment by Vikings ownership, which NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, in testimony at the state capitol, called the largest commitment by any team owner in National Football League history.

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_TwinsBill52106.html

Well, not exactly what we wanted, but atleast the new stadium made progress. Could have been much worse. Thats for sure.

SharperVikings
05-22-2006, 12:52 AM
When does the metrodome lease end?

singersp
05-22-2006, 12:58 AM
"SharperVikings" wrote:

When does the metrodome lease end?

SharperVikings
05-22-2006, 02:11 AM
"Property0f" wrote:

STATE FINANCES TWINS, GOPHERS STADIUMS, COMMITS TO VIKINGS SOLUTION IN 2007

I think that if we have a good season, and we show that this is a new team...then I think we will easily get a new stadium...I think a lot of it may had to do with the boat...A STRONG season will help!! :lol:

Prophet
05-22-2006, 02:00 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Team must wait until at least 2007 session for stadium
Sun, 21 May 2006 18:45:02 -0700

Patrick Condon, of the Associated Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings will have to wait until at least next year for an Anoka County stadium complex. The Minnesota Twins got their new stadium and a provision in their deal instructs the Vikings to continue developing their plans. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf said the team is "very pleased with the commitment from state leaders that the Vikings will be a priority for the 2007 session."

bfld
05-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Maybe 2007. More likely 2008 or 09: look how close we had to get to a Twins departure; there we went well beyond the end of the lease. That probably won't happen with the Vikes, but we'll have to get a lot closer to 2011.

twiztedfait
05-22-2006, 02:28 PM
House File 2480 affirmed that upon the sale of the Metrodome, the proceeds and assets, estimated by the House-Senate Conference Committee on stadiums to be approximately $45 million by the year 2011, will be placed in a football stadium account and be used to pay for the construction of a Vikings football stadium. Additional language required the Vikings to further develop their stadium financing proposal and bring it back for consideration during the 2007 legislative session.

I like the sounds of this. I was all for getting all 3 stadiums build this year, but ok with the decision to wait untill next year to give the vikes another chance. The dumpty dome sucked to watch baseball in, i never went to games because of this, and I am pretty sure I am not alone. You are watching a baseball game in a football stadium. The seats down the lines are terrible and they are suppose to be the good seats. Indoor baseball sucks as well. When I go to a game I want to see the sun, the stars, feel the breeze, and get eaten alive by misquetoes(well not really, but......) Plus the lease with the twins and the dome is almost up, and the extra revenue brought in (estimated at 40M a year, 20 will go back into the team) will be great to sign some better players and actually have a good team again. Sorry twins fans (I am one as well) but we are short on tallent and need more if we are actually going to make in in our division.

The gophers need a on campus stadium, now the have it. Good for them.

The vikes lease on the dome is up after the twins lease is up. Their stadium drive can wait longer then the twins. The dome is okay to watch football games in, even though they don't make much money. I am sure that a stadium bill will be approved next year and the vikes should be in a new stadium either 2011, or 2012. This gives the team plenty of time to get going. The coaches will have some time under their belt, the players will have the new O, and D figured out. Ziggy will have some owner years under his belt. And we should have a more robust team by then. Great way to open up a new stadium IMHO.

All in all I am happy about all of this. I don't look at this as bad news. I think it is good news in disguise.

NodakPaul
05-22-2006, 03:35 PM
I don't look at this as bad news. I think it is good news in disguise.

Agreed. Even Zygi was happy with the turn out. The bills passed means the house and senate have finally come to terms that the metrodome won't be used for the Vikings after the lease is up in 2011. I think this is a huge step forward for the organization, and I expect a stadium bill to be passed in 2007 or 08. Given the rising cost of labor, probably 07.

boognish
05-22-2006, 03:59 PM
"twiztedfait" wrote:

I like the sounds of this. I was all for getting all 3 stadiums build this year, but ok with the decision to wait untill next year to give the vikes another chance. The dumpty dome sucked to watch baseball in, i never went to games because of this, and I am pretty sure I am not alone. You are watching a baseball game in a football stadium. The seats down the lines are terrible and they are suppose to be the good seats. Indoor baseball sucks as well. When I go to a game I want to see the sun, the stars, feel the breeze, and get eaten alive by misquetoes(well not really, but......) Plus the lease with the twins and the dome is almost up, and the extra revenue brought in (estimated at 40M a year, 20 will go back into the team) will be great to sign some better players and actually have a good team again. Sorry twins fans (I am one as well) but we are short on tallent and need more if we are actually going to make in in our division.

The gophers need a on campus stadium, now the have it. Good for them.

The vikes lease on the dome is up after the twins lease is up. Their stadium drive can wait longer then the twins. The dome is okay to watch football games in, even though they don't make much money. I am sure that a stadium bill will be approved next year and the vikes should be in a new stadium either 2011, or 2012. This gives the team plenty of time to get going. The coaches will have some time under their belt, the players will have the new O, and D figured out. Ziggy will have some owner years under his belt. And we should have a more robust team by then. Great way to open up a new stadium IMHO.

All in all I am happy about all of this. I don't look at this as bad news. I think it is good news in disguise.

Hell yeah!! a $45 million downpayment on a stadium for the Vikes has to be considered good news. Zygi has only been here for a year and it almost seemed as though he were rushing the stadium issue (not that I would have complained if it were built :wink: ). Now he has a chance to step back, solidify the plans, work out all the details, and have the Sentate's undivided attention next session. Putting the $45 million clause as part of the Twins legislation has to be seen as a not-so-subtle message to Zygi from legislators that they want the Vikes here and that a stadium for them will happen in the future. Life is good. :cool:

badbois
05-22-2006, 04:33 PM
I was pretty sure they weren't going to be able to pull off all 3 this year, but this looks like they really mean to pass it next year, and that would be crazy sweet. hopefully they will complete it just about the time I get out of law school and can afford season tix. It would be nice to say someday: "I've had season tix since they opend this badboy."

NodakPaul
05-22-2006, 04:48 PM
It would be nice to say someday: "I've had season tix since they opend this badboy."

Why wait? If you are in the area, you could get at least one now. You can request one of the limited visibility seats in the dome, I think they cost something like $100 for the whole season. That way you are already a season ticket holder when the new stadium opens, and you don't have to worry about being put on a waiting list.

I expect two things to heppen in the next 12 months that will drive up the demand for season tickets. 1) We are making a playoff run this year, and 2) the stadium legislation will be passed. :grin:

happy camper
05-22-2006, 05:39 PM
anyone know if season ticket prices will go up in the new stadium?

NodakPaul
05-22-2006, 05:48 PM
"happy camper" wrote:

anyone know if season ticket prices will go up in the new stadium?

Ticket prices usually go up a little each year. It is impossible to say how the ticket prices in the new stadium will compare to the current ones, since the earliest we can hope for the stadium is 2011. It will probably be comparable.

However, one thing we do need to anticipate are Permanent Seat Licenses (or PSLs). A Permanent Seat License is a one-time purchase that transfers the ownership rights of the seat(s) from the team to the individual licensee. They can be pretty spendy ($1000 per seat), but are very good sources of revenue for the teams. Many NFL teams use them, although certainately not all.

I am not going to start a debate on the pros and cons of PSLs in this thread however. People tend to feel strongly one way or the other, and I don't think that is relevent to the topic of this thread. If somebody is fired up either way about it, start a new thread and I will happily share my opinion too...

singersp
05-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Posted on Tue, May. 23, 2006

Better plan, timing would land Vikings their stadium

Just like the old days at Metropolitan Stadium, the Vikings were out in the cold. The Twins got their stadium, the Gophers got theirs, and the Vikings got zip. Nobody should be surprised.

The Vikings really didn't stand much of a chance during this legislative session because politicians were too skittish to support funding for two billionaire owners. Besides that, the Vikings' bid involved a sales tax for Anoka County that was five times higher than the Twins-related tax in Hennepin County.

The Vikings need to shrink that sales tax. If they mirror the Twins' bid, they'll sail through the next legislative session.

Zygi Wilf and his crew have plenty of time between now and then to fine-tune their bid. They need to focus on what the new stadium will cost taxpayers and quit telling us how wonderful Wilf's billion-dollar retail and entertainment complex will be. People across the state just aren't going to get revved up about new development in Anoka County.

Another hotel? Another multiplex? Another Starbucks? That just doesn't excite Minnesotans the way a new stadium would.

It will help the Vikings that they will be the only team asking legislators for their support during the next session. They will get their stadium. It just wasn't the right time, or the right approach, this time.

Bob Sansevere can be reached at bsansevere@pioneerpress.com

Better plan, timing would land Vikings their stadium (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/14643594.htm)

whackthepack
05-23-2006, 03:28 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Just like the old days at Metropolitan Stadium, the Vikings were out in the cold. The Twins got their stadium, the Gophers got theirs, and the Vikings got zip. Nobody should be surprised.

The Vikings really didn't stand much of a chance during this legislative session because politicians were too skittish to support funding for two billionaire owners. Besides that, the Vikings' bid involved a sales tax for Anoka County that was five times higher than the Twins-related tax in Hennepin County.

The Vikings need to shrink that sales tax. If they mirror the Twins' bid, they'll sail through the next legislative session.

Zygi Wilf and his crew have plenty of time between now and then to fine-tune their bid. They need to focus on what the new stadium will cost taxpayers and quit telling us how wonderful Wilf's billion-dollar retail and entertainment complex will be. People across the state just aren't going to get revved up about new development in Anoka County.

Another hotel? Another multiplex? Another Starbucks? That just doesn't excite Minnesotans the way a new stadium would.

It will help the Vikings that they will be the only team asking legislators for their support during the next session. They will get their stadium. It just wasn't the right time, or the right approach, this time.

Better plan, timing would land Vikings their stadium (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/14643594.htm)

Regardless of the fact that the average person does not get excited about a new development, the Minnesota legislature should! With the proposal that Ziggy and company have put on the table and the creation of this type of development should make the people that are elected to run the state excited about things that benefit the state, and this does!

vikesoto
05-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Last time I looked...the Gophers couldn't draw d!ck for home games...

And they get a new stadium....

Last time I looked...the Arizona Cardinals drew about as many fans as a tax seminar...

And they get a new stadium..

Well the Vikings may still get a new stadium too..

Too bad it'll be in L.A. ........

Those dumbas$' in Minnesota better get it together...

Or our Vikings will be .......GONE !!!!!!!!

cajunvike
05-23-2006, 11:48 PM
BUILD IT...AND WE WILL COME!!!

VikesfaninWis
05-23-2006, 11:58 PM
"singersp" wrote:

They better get it next year, or its bye bye Vikings from Minnesota.

Prophet
05-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Vikings rethink stadium game plan (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/state/minnesota/14651030.htm)
Team says alternatives to Blaine site needed after rejection by lawmakers
BY BOB SHAW
Pioneer Press

The Minnesota Vikings are renewing their vow to build a stadium, though not necessarily in Anoka County.

After the team suffered a stinging setback at the state Capitol to its $790 million stadium proposal, a Vikings spokesman said Tuesday that the plan in Blaine might be too bogged down by politics to be viable.

"We have a great partnership with Anoka County, but we need a Plan B and Plan C. Mr. Wilf is very much a Plan B and Plan C kind of guy," said Vikings Vice President Lester Bagley, referring to Vikings owner Zygi Wilf. "There may not be an opportunity in Anoka County. Things change."

Bagley wouldn't say what other sites might be considered for a Vikings stadium.

The Vikings were left out of legislation that will provide stadiums for the Minnesota Twins and the University of Minnesota. But Bagley was encouraged by one little-noticed provision approved by the Legislature that would earmark most of the proceeds from the sale of the Metrodome site to a Vikings stadium.

Vikings officials estimate the downtown Minneapolis site would be worth about $45 million. Of that, the first $5 million would go toward the Twins stadium, and the rest would go toward the state's share of a Vikings stadium.

"We see that as a down payment," said Bagley.

Bagley said another reason for hope was that the bill rejected a referendum on a 0.15 percent sales tax to cover Hennepin County's share of the new Twins stadium in downtown Minneapolis.

Bagley assumes the Vikings will get the same break.

"There is definitely a precedent set by the Twins," he said.

Still, the state's rejection of the Vikings stadium left Blaine Mayor Tom Ryan and other supporters discouraged.

"It's pretty disgusting to have it end this way," Ryan said. "It's sad. This has been four years of work for us."

And despite the Vikings' optimism, plans for an Anoka County stadium face several complications, most notably a fight over the public's right to vote on a stadium tax.

Public opposition to a proposed Anoka County tax increase appears to be stronger than in Hennepin County, in part because the Anoka plan assumes a 0.75 percent sales tax — five times more than the tax for the Twins stadium.

Various polls have shown support for a referendum on the tax as high as 80 percent, and four cities have passed resolutions supporting such a vote.

Stadium backers admit that voters probably would turn down a stadium tax, but they say similar large projects have used public money without voter approval.

The Anoka County Board of Commissioners has supported imposing the tax without a referendum. The tax would pay the county's one-third share of the stadium's cost, with the remainder coming from the state and the team.

The two naysayers on the board — Rhonda Sivarajah and Jim Kordiak — have supported a referendum.

"I am not against the Vikings, but I want that vote," Sivarajah said. "I am not fond of public subsidies for stadiums. The owners could be building them on their own."

Four of the seven Anoka County Board members face elections in the fall. Although no new pro-referendum candidates have emerged, Sivarajah said, "I certainly have heard murmurings."

Bagley said that if the county decides to put the tax to voters, the proposal would die.

"If the political will evaporates, we have got to be prepared," he said.

Another worry is county funding for lobbying and public education.

The county has spent $600,000 on the stadium effort and earmarked an additional $300,000 for "mega-projects," including the stadium.

Stadium supporters talked about that money and the sales tax revenue as seed money — creating 13,000 temporary and long-term jobs and millions of dollars in annual tax revenue.

But in a year when the county is making cutbacks in its human services budget for such programs as child protection, Sivarajah is balking.

"On one hand we say we need to make these reductions, but on the other we have money to dump into studies and promotions for the Vikings," she said.

Control of the land also might be a problem.

Wilf and the Vikings have options to buy about half the land on the 740-acre site. Development on the other half is blocked by a city building moratorium — which expires in September.

It could be extended, Ryan said, depending on how the Blaine City Council votes. The mayor said three council members are up for re-election in November, but he didn't think their stands on the stadium would make much difference in city support.

One of the biggest landowners on the site said acquisition of the property by the Vikings wouldn't be a problem, as long as the moratorium were in place.

"If they have a moratorium, where else are we going to go?" asked Rick Wilder, owner of the Metro Gun Club, which sits on 140 acres at the site.

Although he hasn't agreed to sell to the Vikings, Wilder said he was satisfied by the initial contacts with the team. He said he would sell for the right price, but he can't predict what will happen.

"You are in the dark, I am in the dark, everyone's in the dark," Wilder said.

Bob Shaw can be reached at bshaw@pioneerpress.com or 651-228-5433.

================================

Vikings may look beyond Anoka County in stadium quest (http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/sports/14653285.htm)
May. 24, 2006
Associated Press

================================

Vikings Looking Beyond Anoka County (http://wcco.com/local/local_story_144074522.html)
May 24, 2006

crazyB
05-24-2006, 05:07 PM
so next year it is then hope we don't get the same trouble from the polititions.
i have a question has mr Wilf and his partner's got enough cash to fund the whole stadium themself's?...

plus all this in the dark talk will someone please turn the light on so they can see what need's doing to get the Vikings stadium built already.
just hope they don't move the team out of Minnesota it won't be the same.

singersp
05-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Twins’ stadium tied to Viking hopes for their own

Twin's stadium tied to Vikings hopes for their own. (http://www.abcnewspapers.com/2006/May/25ball.html)

singersp
05-26-2006, 02:10 PM
In the House area lawmakers voting for the Twins bill were Republicans Eastlund, Tingelstad and Westerberg and Democrat Hortman.

Republicans voting no were Abeler, DeLaForest, Hackbarth, Krinkie and Vandeveer, while DFLers opposed were Bernardy and Goodwin.

In the Senate, DFLer Foley was the only yes vote from the local delegation, while Republicans Bachmann, Debbie Johnson, Jungbauer, Nienow and Reiter voted no, so did DFLers Betzold and Chaudhary

OK Minnesotans, now you have a good idea who to vote in & out this election year.