PDA

View Full Version : Did you know BJ won 2003's NFL Quarterback Challenge Contest

fromos
05-17-2006, 11:01 PM
In the 2003 NFL Quarterback Challenge sponsored by 989 Sports they pitted Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Brad Johnson, Jeff Garcia, Mark Brunell, Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, Marc Bulger and others against each other in a skills competition with 4 skills: accuracy, speed and mobility, long distance throw and "No Huddle." Brad beat them all.

BradTheMan14
05-17-2006, 11:03 PM
interesting tidbit there.

Potus2028
05-17-2006, 11:04 PM
i watch the nfl channel and espn in the summer,

when all they do is play those

stek
05-17-2006, 11:06 PM
Wonder how Joey did.

Hahaha

fromos
05-17-2006, 11:06 PM
"Potus2028" wrote:

i watch the nfl channel and espn in the summer,

when all they do is play those
Interesting, I didn't see it just read about it. How did they all look?

fromos
05-17-2006, 11:13 PM
"stek" wrote:

Wonder how Joey did.

Hahaha
Hasselbeck took second and then won it the next year (Johnson didn't go the next year). I guess Brunell, Moon, Boomer, and Garcia were all in there too. Moon did pretty well in the 2004 one I read. Didn't see anything about Joey.

cajunvike
05-17-2006, 11:35 PM
"fromos" wrote:

In the 2003 NFL Quarterback Challenge sponsored by 989 Sports they pitted Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Brad Johnson, Joey Harrington, Marc Bulger, Byron Leftwhich, and others against each other in a skills competition with 4 skills: accuracy, speed and mobility, long distance throw and "No Huddle." Brad beat them all.

Cos Brad is THA MAN!!!! :grin:

Vikes_King
05-18-2006, 12:15 AM
kinda sweet

VikesfaninWis
05-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Never knew that.. Thanks for the info though..

JellyBean2144
05-18-2006, 04:14 AM
very interesting..thanks for the information.

bigdaddy72_1
05-18-2006, 04:20 AM
I knew he won but I didn't see it. I just wonder how he won when mobility and the deep ball were part of the competition. Not to say that he is terrible at those things, but he isn't the best. Obviously he dominated the accuracy and probably did really well with the no huddle.

BadlandsVikings
05-18-2006, 04:21 AM
I learned something new today, thanks for the info.

YogidAbEAR
05-18-2006, 04:32 AM
spergeon wynn(you know him, the big letdown) won the CFL's QB challenge. he's not even a starter and never will be. he was 4th on the bluebombers depth chart last year. just because a QB has the skill to win one of these compititions doesn't mean he'll act the same under pressure

Braddock
05-18-2006, 04:36 AM
And next year's winner........ drumroll please...... T-Jack

Vikes_King
05-18-2006, 05:09 AM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

just because a QB has the skill to win one of these compititions doesn't mean he'll act the same under pressure

regardless, we already know BJ can perform under pressure

fromos
05-18-2006, 05:37 PM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

spergeon wynn(you know him, the big letdown) won the CFL's QB challenge. he's not even a starter and never will be. he was 4th on the bluebombers depth chart last year. just because a QB has the skill to win one of these compititions doesn't mean he'll act the same under pressure
Spergeon Wynn probably didn't have much competition in the CFL challenge. But yeah Vinny Testeverde won the NFL QB Challenge back in 97 too, and he wasn't the greatest quarterback either. But some pretty good quarterbacks like Marino, Garcia, and Plummer have won it too. I would have to say having the best skills doesn't always mean you'll perform the best when an opposing team's defense is coming to sack you and intercept your throws. Which makes combine numbers not such a great indicator in the draft for QBs. Still, it was pretty interesting to see that our quarterback went head to head with Brady and Hasselbeck in a skills competition and beat them. I get the feeling Brad has more mobility and arm strength than he lets on.

Also interesting is that Jeff Garcia won it in 2002 and Hasselbeck won it in 2004, and the one time Johnson competed in it he beat them both.

fromos
05-19-2006, 04:53 AM
Still waiting for someone to say it was the Tampa defense that won him the skills competition :grin:

YogidAbEAR
05-19-2006, 05:03 AM
"fromos" wrote:

"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

Spergeon Wynn probably didn't have much competition in the CFL challenge.

spergeon wynn, a CFL 4th string QB, didn't have much compitition? yeah, right :roll: . try watching a cfl game

cajunvike
05-19-2006, 05:24 AM
"fromos" wrote:

"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

Spergeon Wynn probably didn't have much competition in the CFL challenge. But yeah Vinny Testeverde won the NFL QB Challenge back in 97 too, and he wasn't the greatest quarterback either. But some pretty good quarterbacks like Marino, Garcia, and Plummer have won it too. I would have to say having the best skills doesn't always mean you'll perform the best when an opposing team's defense is coming to sack you and intercept your throws. Which makes combine numbers not such a great indicator in the draft for QBs. Still, it was pretty interesting to see that our quarterback went head to head with Brady and Hasselbeck in a skills competition and beat them. I get the feeling Brad has more mobility and arm strength than he lets on.

Also interesting is that Jeff Garcia won it in 2002 and Hasselbeck won it in 2004, and the one time Johnson competed in it he beat them both.

The thing that makes it interesting is that many people don't think that Brad can make the deep throws or that he is very mobile...for him to win the skills competition shows that he DOES have those skills...plus, he does have that Super Bowl ring, which proves that he can LEAD a team to a championship...regardless of the fact that they had a dominant defense or not.

YogidAbEAR
05-19-2006, 05:26 AM
yeah, what he said. my only problem with brad is that he's not a long term solution, and IMO neither is tavaris

fromos
05-19-2006, 05:29 AM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

spergeon wynn, a CFL 4th string QB, didn't have much compitition? yeah, right :roll: . try watching a cfl game
Well, considering the 2nd place quarterback was Kevin Glenn of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and 3rd was Nealon Greene of the Saskatchewan Roughriders... not quite Brady, Garcia, Brunell, or Hasselbeck (who've all been in multiple Pro Bowls.)

plus, he does have that Super Bowl ring, which proves that he can LEAD a team to a championship...regardless of the fact that they had a dominant defense or not.
Many people forget Brad did throw 2 touchdowns and over 200 yards in that Superbowl, much better than Roethlisberger this year and about as good as Brady the year before. He had the highest passer rating in the NFC and broke the Tampa passing touchdown record too that season.

YogidAbEAR
05-19-2006, 05:31 AM
exactly my point of these compitions not meaning much

whackthepack
05-19-2006, 03:15 PM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

"fromos" wrote:

"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

Spergeon Wynn probably didn't have much competition in the CFL challenge.

Why did they invite a 4th string QB to be in the competition?

If you think the QB's in the CFL compare to the NFL you are delusional!

MightyVikes12391
05-19-2006, 03:51 PM
ada boy BJ

CCthebest
05-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Wish we still had Dante. Think they screwed up not working something out with him. That being said, BJ is a damn good QB. He was when he was with us years ago too. He is the type of QB the other players like and respect. He doesnt make many bad decsions. He is older, not as mobile, but i will bet he makes up for that in other ways.

boognish
05-19-2006, 05:40 PM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

yeah, what he said. my only problem with brad is that he's not a long term solution, and IMO neither is tavaris

How could you possibly know if Action Jackson is a long term solution? :roll: You Jackson haters just crack me up. What possible reason could you have at this point (before he's ever taken a snap) to dis on him? Would you be saying the same thing if we had picked Brittle Broyle or that dope Whitehurst as our QB?

Let's hope that Jackson becomes a hall of famer; none of us has seen enough of him to know either way, yet.

jargomcfargo
05-19-2006, 05:40 PM
"YogidAbEAR" wrote:

Maybe Tarvaris could play for the Bombers!

Seriously, I agree QB challenges are off season entertainment only.

But BJ has proven to be a QB in the NFL who has quietly and professionally let his playing speak for itself.

Age and wisdom have made up for erosion of physical skills.

But he obviously is not a long term solution.

By the way, The Bombers are my favorite CFL team.

We have a home town guy who was with them last year and I went fishing with a couple of players on the Red last fall.

I caught a 12 lb. 13 oz. Walleye and drank beer like a Canadian.

What a great time. I love Canada.

CCthebest
05-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Dont fish in canada waters! Go to MN side of Lake of the woods for walleye!
And stay away from Molson! Gives ya the shits. Stick MGD