PDA

View Full Version : From Bad to Norse

PurplePumpkin
05-17-2006, 05:51 PM
I was really looking forward to the new uniforms... When they reveiled them I was disapointed, but I figured that they'll grow on me. Honestly the more I see them the more I hate them. They threw tradition right out the window. Reebok has no talented designers in my opinion...Shameful and pathetic!

I really dont feel like I have the right to complain since I did alot of stupid designs myself, but I cant help it I just think there ugly. I read this ,From Bad to Norse http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060511 I couldnt agree more!

I love the Vikings and always will! I hope they make money with the new uniforms, But I will not buy one unless its for a buck at a garage sale! I might change my mind if we won the SB!

mnvikes61
05-17-2006, 06:02 PM
I completely agree with you PurplePumpkin. I thought they looked hideous when I first saw them and now they pretty much look the same. I thought the article was dead on when it said that the Vikings organization fixed something that didn't have to fixed.

VKG4LFE
05-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Can someone please copy and paste the article? Thanks.

I agree we shouldn't have changed the uni's but I don't mind what they look like.

Json
05-17-2006, 06:23 PM
I disagree with both of you. I personally like them. People are always critical of change but I'm all for it. Now I know the jerseys are not going to win us a super bowl but the Vikings have sported the same look for a long time and have no rings to show. I just think it's another page in Vikings history and hopefully it's for the best.

Oh yeah, I will buy one of the jerseys and wear it with pride. Thats what true fans do.

V-Unit
05-17-2006, 06:24 PM
That is sad to hear considering that you were so excited about them. I liked your designs a lot, and your final ones ended up closely resembling the actual jerseys, which I also like.

Did you like the ones which you made? If so, what don't you like about the new jerseys? I hope they new uniforms will grow on you over time. The old ones already look bland and outdated compared to the new style.

mnvikes61
05-17-2006, 06:25 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Can someone please copy and paste the article? Thanks.

I agree we shouldn't have changed the uni's but I don't mind what they look like.
From Bad to Norse
By now you've probably seen the Vikings' crummy new uniforms, which were unveiled just after Uni Watch's last column was posted. They don't look so bad from the front, but the same can't be said for the back and sides, which are a chaotic jumble. For the full Arena League-esque effect, go to this link and move your cursor over the photograph to make the image rotate. (You also can see a video of the unveiling ceremony here.)

As you might expect, Uni Watch has a few observations regarding some of the design's smaller details:

• The same socks are being used with both pairs of pants, which means the road pants will have the dreaded leotard effect.

• What's the deal with the rounded corners on the uni numbers?

• On the plus side, the team is switching to black shoes.

• The big surprise is that there has been a small modification to the helmet, where the horns now have a bit of accent shading and have been slightly repositioned. Here's an old-vs.-new comparison.

• Several readers have suggested that the horned "V" on the jersey's chest wordmark might have been influenced by -- or even stolen from -- the University of South Florida logo. That's a good conspiracy theory, but in this case, the Vikes are blameless: They staked their claim to the horned letter long before USF did.

All in all, it's a textbook case of fixing something that wasn't broken. But let's say this for the Vikes: Between the jersey side panels, the pants piping, the truncated collar, the rear nameplate logo, the leotard socks, the number font and the unnecessary helmet change, they've provided so much fodder for ridicule that Uni Watch doesn't even have to mention a certain very annoying color.

There you bro.

VKG4LFE
05-17-2006, 06:26 PM
"Json" wrote:

I disagree with both of you. I personally like them. People are always critical of change but I'm all for it. Now I know the jerseys are not going to win us a super bowl but the Vikings have sported the same look for a long time and have no rings to show. I just think it's another page in Vikings history and hopefully it's for the best.

Oh yeah, I will buy one of the jerseys and wear it with pride. Thats what true fans do.

Uh oh, I sense another "true fans" debate coming!

mnvikes61
05-17-2006, 06:29 PM
You got that right VKG. I'm tired of the 'true fan' debate. Some people think you have to blindly love everything the Vikings do and all the players that are Vikings to truely become a true fan. :puke:

mnjamie
05-17-2006, 06:38 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

"Json" wrote:

That "true fan" stuff is garbage. Let's end it there.

P.Pumkin ... I thought you had some really good designs and when you refined it down to the final one, I liked it alot. It was new, but kept up the tradition of the "classic" uniforms in the Norse division.

josdin00
05-17-2006, 06:52 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

A true fan wouldn't say that. :cool:

Okay, now that that debate is over, let's get back to the jerseys. For the most part, I like them. The front view looks fine. The back is fine except where the yellow piping meets, and that doesn't bother me too much. I don't like the view directly from the side, but since you don't see that view all that much during a game, I don't think that will bother me too much, either. I think the only think that will keep bugging me about them, at least for a while, is the slightly rounded corners on the numbers. I'd prefer a hard edge to the numbers. Overall, they look better than I expected, and while they didn't really need to be changed, I do like the "whole new team" mentality that is eminating from the Vikings organization.

PurplePumpkin
05-17-2006, 06:53 PM
"V-Unit" wrote:

That is sad to hear considering that you were so excited about them. I liked your designs a lot, and your final ones ended up closely resembling the actual jerseys, which I also like.

Did you like the ones which you made? If so, what don't you like about the new jerseys? I hope they new uniforms will grow on you over time. The old ones already look bland and outdated compared to the new style.

Honestly I feel bad for not liking them. I think back to what Zigi said,"subtle change" Theres nothing subtle about it! Its just to over the top. I'm sure in time they will grow on me.

BadlandsVikings
05-17-2006, 06:55 PM
It always takes time for new things to grow on people. change is hard.

NodakPaul
05-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Sorry to hear that you didn't like them PP. But to be honest, I love them. And from the various polls I have seen (not just here, but through out the community) the majority of the fans like or love them too.

The bad to norse article is hardly one of authority. For a so-called “uniform watch” site, he seemed pretty uninformed.

"BadToNorse" wrote:

The big surprise is that there has been a small modification to the helmet, where the horns now have a bit of accent shading and have been slightly repositioned.

Big surprise? This wasn't a surprise at all. In fact, this was the first thing revealed by Zygi, several weeks before the actual jersey was shown. And it was up on Vikings.com for about two weeks prior as well. Maybe he should have done his homework...

Another sad point is that the majority of those pictures are from the flicker site, which, BTW, is where Mr CoD posts his mini camp pics. I recognized at least two pictures directly from CoD's site. Pretty pathetic when a columnist can't even get his own pictures when complaining about a uniform. Proves that he has never seen them in person. (I have, and think the pics don't do them justice at all)

He couldn't even get the part about the annoying color right. While clearly a slam against the color purple, in his article he links to a shade of purple that is not even close to the Vikings uniforms. Come one man, at least pu some effort into your complaining. I put effort into reading it.

All in all, if anybody is using this article as part of their decision to not like the new uniforms, I am sad to say that the article was badly written and with bias.

Skol.

SKOL
05-17-2006, 07:00 PM
The article had the first side by side comparision of the old and new helmets that I've seen.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/SKOL/NewHelmet.jpg

PurplePumpkin
05-17-2006, 07:05 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

The article had the first side by side comparision of the old and new helmets that I've seen.

The helmet change is kick@ss!

snowinapril
05-17-2006, 07:09 PM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

"Json" wrote:

No, we aren't talking about true fans, we are talking about true consumers.

Let's not get the two labels confused.

snowinapril
05-17-2006, 07:12 PM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

True, but I keep going back and forth.

One day I like them the next I don't.

I like the helmet, it was a slight change that works. This is something that I can say with confidence.

NodakPaul
05-17-2006, 07:31 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

True, but I keep going back and forth.

One day I like them the next I don't.

I like the helmet, it was a slight change that works. This is something that I can say with confidence.

I think once people see the uniforms on the field, they will gain in popularity. Especially when we are winning!

PurplePumpkin
05-17-2006, 07:37 PM
"josdin00" wrote:

. The front view looks fine. The back is fine except where the yellow piping meets, and that doesn't bother me too much. I don't like the view directly from the side, but since you don't see that view all that much during a game, I don't think that will bother me too much, either. I think the only think that will keep bugging me about them, at least for a while, is the slightly rounded corners on the numbers. I'd prefer a hard edge to the numbers. Overall, they look better than I expected, and while they didn't really need to be changed, I do like the "whole new team" mentality that is eminating from the Vikings organization.

These are the things that bother me.

cajunvike
05-17-2006, 08:19 PM
It's simple with me...WHEN we win the Super Bowl, I will buy a new jersey...Wilf needs to make it worth my while before I will give him money.

VikesfaninWis
05-17-2006, 08:50 PM
I personally like the new uni's.. I think it was about Wilf doing his own image as the owner versus trying to change tradition. We needed something different, and that is exactly what we got. I don't look down on anyone if they don't like them. Different people have different styles, that is called opinion. I like them, some may not, but it doesn't make them any less of a Viking fan then I am..

TheKnuck
05-17-2006, 08:57 PM
i like them and can't wait to see them in action. maybe its an hdtv effect thing!!!!!

but in the end, will it matter when were hoisting the lombardi trophy while wearing these babies????

NodakPaul
05-17-2006, 08:58 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

It's simple with me...WHEN we win the Super Bowl, I will buy a new jersey...Wilf needs to make it worth my while before I will give him money.

Just curious Cajun, are you saying that you have never owned a Vikings jersey before, or are you just applying this "worth my while" standard to the new ones? :wink:

Personally I would probably buy one even if I hated it (which I don't). I think I would feel funny, almost disloyal, if I stopped supporting my team in a way that I had my whole life just because they changed their look. I am not making insinuations about anybody else, I am just stating how I would feel.

ultravikingfan
05-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Maybe I am just blind with passion, but I like them a lot. Hell, put a pickle barrel around our guys and I'll like that too.

Too many people are caught-up in "looks"...I could care less. We start beating that azz them unis will look slicker than 2 eels screwing!

"Json" wrote:

People who label others as "true fans" do not belong here.

Vikes_King
05-17-2006, 10:10 PM
i like the helmet change.. but idk, the uniforms will grow on us all, i loved the traditional ones since they really havnt changed much over the years

but then again, we've never had an owner like wilf

whackthepack
05-17-2006, 10:26 PM
"SKOL" wrote:

I like the new horns!!!!!!!!

Hate the uni's, they have not grown on me at all and I like the practice jerseys more!

The thing on the back shoulder is ridiculous, and should never been allowed to be there!

The white on the sides of the purple jersey's is to big and should be about 3/4 of the size it is!

And they should have left the color the same as the old ones!

If they are going to have black shoes they should have black socks and not white socks especial when the are wearing the road pants with white jersey.

I like a lot of the things that Ziggy has done so far but this is not one of them!

bigdaddy72_1
05-17-2006, 10:30 PM
It was time for a change, and I am thrilled that the franchise finally changed the uniforms.

For those of you who are upset about losing the traditional or classic look...How did you feel when the players went from wearing sweaters to mesh nylon jerseys? Or when the players went from wearing leather "hats" to wearing more protective helmets? Or when the players started to adopt the new passing offense, rather than just run the ball every down?

I love the Vikings but the old uniforms were plain boring. I would even be willing to bet that our young players had thoughts in the back of their minds about how goofy they looked. I said this before but, Nobody wears bell bottoms or leisure suits anymore, styles change and this is what happens in regards to changing styles in sports.

I must also agree that the article is completely bias. The writer clearly was writing from personal opinion, which may have been the intention, but if one is posting that article as some sort of proof then the fact that it in itself is opinion really makes it null.

EVERYBODY IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION.

KorenWhiskey
05-17-2006, 10:47 PM
If You look at the whole side view, it looks like the horn from shoulder to pants. I Like them. And for those that don't like them, it could be worse: They could be Orange and Brown like Cleveland. Nobody could make those look good

NodakPaul
05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
"KorenWhiskey" wrote:

If You look at the whole side view, it looks like the horn from shoulder to pants. I Like them. And for those that don't like them, it could be worse: They could be Orange and Brown like Cleveland. Nobody could make those look good

Yep. I believe that was the intention. The horn shape is prevelant in several places on the uniform, including the side view and the way the stripe converges in the back.

I think it is a great design. Of course, nothing could beat PurplePumpkin's designs (seriously, those were awesome), but I still like 'em.

olson_10
05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
i love the new uniforms, and whoever doesnt can eat poop

NodakPaul
05-17-2006, 10:54 PM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:

um...... who the hell told you that...?

*** picture ommited ***

(ok.. maybe i shouldnt have posted that since zygi's parents were in the holocaust.. but yea.)

:shock: Wow. Dude, there are something we still don't joke about...

Ltrey33
05-17-2006, 10:56 PM
"Json" wrote:

Nooo!!!!! Not the true fan angle!!! Batten down the hatches! Hide the children! Take up arms! AHHH!!!!

marshallvike
05-18-2006, 01:52 AM
"Json" wrote:

Oh yeah, I will buy one of the jerseys and wear it with pride. Thats what true fans do.good point Json. i do not like the new uni's as much as the old ones, but if we win a super bowl who gives a s!!t. i will love the new uni's and may forget about the old ones.

cajunvike
05-18-2006, 01:55 AM
"Vikes_King" wrote:

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:

(ok.. maybe i shouldnt have posted that since zygi's parents were in the holocaust.. but yea.)

NOT COOL!!!! :mad:

snowinapril
05-18-2006, 02:02 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

I think that I am with you on this one. I am happy with my new old jersey.

See the sig below.

Gotta Love It. Pearsonalized!

V-Unit
05-18-2006, 02:58 AM
This thread is making me like the jerseys less.....the back and sides really ARE jumbled crap.....oh well.

I still don't understand the lack of yellow and overuse of white. If the wanted to add a horn, it would have been better to have the yellow outline grow thicker as the white (purple for the aways) got thinner. That way the stripe on the pants would have been yellow for both home and away jerseys. Instead of a gradual change, they change color abruptly and put the noresman logo there in order to distract from the ugly change in color

As far as the back I just don't get the yellow point. Either have the outline follow the white all the way around or make the area inside the outline white.

They were growing on me but I just don't know. At least they look good from the front. While the skinner players look great in them (see TWill below) I don't know if PWill is going to be able to pull these off.

In any event I welcome the change simply because the old jerseys were bland and boring, as if they were made from a cookie-cutter template that all NFL teams originally used, and then the colors purple, white, and yellow were put in. Let's face it there was a time in the NFC Central when all the jersesys looked exactly the same, except for the Bears, who had an extra stripe on their shoulders.......can you say boring?

AngloVike
05-18-2006, 04:20 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Vikes_King" wrote:

"bigdaddy72_1" wrote:

*** picture ommited ***

:shock: Wow. Dude, there are something we still don't joke about...

Firstly the Uni's - I like them and know that with time they won't be an issue as they are with some fans at the moment. I bet this debate has gone on every time the team changed its jerseys - probably some of the old-timers hated the idea of the Norseman logo on the sleeve when it first come out. Now a lot are complaining that it has been moved, at least the team is moving with the times and making some updates as they go.
Changes like that are good once in awhile, as Json said its another chapter in Viking history.

Secondly the *pic* posted .... not good and something that many find very offensive. Given that my mum lost her brother and my dad was badly wounded by those fighting under that flag I find it in very bad taste - lose it and quick !

ultravikingfan
05-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Ok, offensive image removed.

Feel free to debate the true fan thingy.

sleepagent
05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm waiting to see what they look like ON THE FIELD - in the heat of battle.

Disappointed at first, but kindof like 'em now.

Placed my custom order (I don't do players anymore) and can't wait for football season.

Slade
05-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I still like em'. When the Broncos changed theirs a few years back, I thought they were fugly, but now they aren't too bad. These will grow on the people who initially didn't like them

VKG4LFE
05-19-2006, 02:28 AM
People get worked up over such stupid stuff!! lol

Vikes_King
05-19-2006, 03:17 AM
meh, i had family that have both faught in died in that war also, and know a couple survivors, didnt mean to offend anyone and if i did im sorry

im just not so sensitive about things that happened under a regime that no longer exists, since there is no changing the past; but thats me

sorry~

DarrinNelsonguy
05-19-2006, 03:20 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

Right on VKGLFE, all I really care about are the W's!

VKG4LFE
05-19-2006, 03:21 AM
Yup, W's heal all wounds!

Vikes_King
05-19-2006, 03:28 AM
"VKG4LFE" wrote:

like seeing a VKG 4 LFE liscense plate in wisconsin? :wink: :lol:

VKG4LFE
05-19-2006, 03:31 AM
Yeah, especially that!!! I get some pretty dirty looks, especially last season for some strange reason!! lol