PDA

View Full Version : Vikings, Anoka County Close To Stadium Deal

COJOMAY
05-17-2006, 04:20 AM
Vikings, Anoka County close to stadium deal
Paul Levy And Mike Kaszuba, Star Tribune

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/435648.html
http://www.startribune.com/media/2006/05/16/10/STADIUM_BILL_92UZC.standalone.jpg
National Football Leauge Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, right, listens as Minnesota Vikings owner Zygi Wilf talks to reporters outside a conference committee room Tuesday, May 16, 2006 in St. Paul, Minn., where Tagliabue lobbied for a new Vikings stadium.

An announcement is expected Wednesday -- a day after Vikings owner Zygi Wilf reiterated his advocacy for an open-air stadium and said that he'd reached his financial ceiling and that he would not sink any more money into the project to get a deal done.

But after the Vikings announced Monday their intention to build a stadium without a retractable roof -- expected to cost $115 million and to be financed by a proposed state tax the Legislature was unlikely to approve -- Anoka County officials voiced their opposition.

"Without a retractable roof, I'm not interested," said Rep. Andy Westerberg, R-Blaine, author of the House bill for a Vikings stadium, said early Tuesday.

"To take out such an important element ... it would be hard to take such a cut," said Dave Johnson, an attorney representing Anoka County. "Having a fixed or retractable roof was always a condition."

Then the Vikings apparently ran a reverse. After an afternoon of negotiations, Lester Bagley, vice president of public affairs for the Vikings and the team's point man during negotiations, said, "We're close to a deal."

While Bagley remained mum, prior to an early evening meeting with state Sen. Steve Kelley, DFL-Hopkins, co-chairman of a joint Senate-House conference committee, Anoka County's Johnson was asked if a deal included a roof.

"Yeah," he replied.

Bagley and Terry Johnson, also said that a retractable roof was part of the potential agreement. Bagley said the Vikings and Anoka County are hoping for some kind of state participation in the project. He did not elaborate.

The project may have hit another roadblock in the form of enhancements to I-35W and other roads leading to the proposed stadium site. The Vikings and Anoka County had projected a need for an additional $115 million for these improvements. Representatives of the MnDOT testified Tuesday night that they estimated the cost to be closer to $270 million

On Monday, the team had said it would be willing to build the stadium without road improvements.

The Vikings, third among the Twins and the University and Minnesota in a three-team race for new stadiums, appeared suddenly to have the financial agreement to build a stadium and the $1.67 billion Northern Lights entertainment-retail-sports complex without public funding outside of Anoka County.

The county has pledged $280 million toward the stadium. Wilf has matched that offer -- and has pledged $1 billion toward the building of Northern Lights.

National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who testified before the committee on behalf of the Vikings, said the $1 billion offer by Wilf was the largest stadium-related offer ever by an NFL owner.

But even when it appeared that a roofless stadium might kill any deal, Wilf said he would not increase the $280 million he has already pledged toward the stadium.

"Our own commitment of $280 million was, from the start, risky," said Wilf, who arrived at the Capitol too late to testify due to plane problems.

"We are committed," he said. "Everything's working against us. Now's the time to strike. There's a sense of urgency."

Approaching deadline

The Vikings' lease at the Metrodome does not expire until 2011. Yet, with the legislative session scheduled to end Monday, a sense of urgency could be felt from the Capitol to Anoka County.

Some of Wilf's pledge will come in the form of an NFL loan, courtesy of the TV revenue each team in the league shares equally, Tagliabue said.

Known as a G-3 loan, the money is available to NFL teams only and not to Anoka County, Tagliabue said.

As Wilf left the Capitol with Tagliabue Tuesday morning, an Anoka County contingent scrambled to come up with a plan that not only might appeal to legislators and the governor, but also to constituents who were sold on a closed stadium that could host a Super Bowl or an NCAA Final Four.

The $115 million needed to build a retractable roof was expected to come from a state-wide tax. But on Monday, the Vikings threw a Hail Mary pass, telling the committee that the team no longer wanted the roof and, thus, no longer wanted legislators to consider an added tax.

Tagliabue declined to offer his opinion on a roof, saying that it was a "local" matter and that Green Bay and Chicago -- teams in the Vikings' division -- were comfortable playing in open-air stadiums.

But the commissioner said that hosting a Super Bowl could mean an economic boost to the area of $250 to $300 million.

No news on Gophers

Meanwhile, the University of Minnesota's plan to build a football stadium on campus spent Tuesday stuck in neutral. Although the Senate had appointed members to a conference committee, the House has not. House Speaker Steve Sviggum, R-Kenyon, predicted that would be finalized today. Sviggum, in a brief interview as he left the Capitol, said that reaching an agreement on a final stadium financing plan should not be difficult.

But Senate Majority Leader Dean Johnson, DFL-Willmar, quickly took issue with the delay. "The end of the session is drawing near, and gamesmanship or delaying action will not help the Legislature complete our work on time," he said in a statement.

However, Sen. Geoff Michel, R-Edina, the author of one university stadium plan, was confident, saying: "There's probably less anxiety about the Gopher bill because there already is bipartisan consensus."

If Tagliabue is at the meeting it looks like this deal is as good as done with or without the states participation. Wilf is not fooling around any longer.

PackSux!
05-17-2006, 04:35 AM
Thats what i like to hear.

YogidAbEAR
05-17-2006, 04:39 AM
i hope they build a roof. that way i won't have to travel 2000miles to see a super bowl

BadlandsVikings
05-17-2006, 04:44 AM
I don't care about a roof, I don't want the team to move.

ultravikingfan
05-17-2006, 04:48 AM
That's some great news!

Thanks for getting on that Cojo!

COJOMAY
05-17-2006, 04:50 AM
From the tone of that article it looks like the stadium is going to get built with or without the state's participation.

WBLVikeBabe
05-17-2006, 04:51 AM
This is definitley good news, thanks for the article Cojo!!!

PurplePride80
05-17-2006, 04:54 AM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

I don't care about a roof, I don't want the team to move.

I couldn't agree more.

VikesfaninWis
05-17-2006, 04:58 AM
Awesome news, thanks Cojo.. I would prefer to have the roof so the Vikes can host a SB, but as long as they get approved for a new stadium, I don't care if it has a roof or not.. Go Zygi, Go Vikes.....

vikeswin2005
05-17-2006, 05:07 AM
HHHHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLL YYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

ThorSPL
05-17-2006, 05:08 AM
You'd think they'd be willing to foot some of the bill if they got their hands on profits from having that complex....

And MAN, a Superbowl would cover half the cost from the sounds of it...... which is almost a guarantee if you build a new stadium these days.

PurplePeopleEaters
05-17-2006, 05:13 AM
YES! this is GREAT news! Go get em wilf!

bleedpurple27
05-17-2006, 05:13 AM
I hope this works out.....I'm trying not to get too excited yet...we'll see.

Euphman06
05-17-2006, 05:15 AM
[
National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who testified before the committee on behalf of the Vikings, said the $1 billion offer by Wilf was the largest stadium-related offer ever by an NFL owner.

Heck yeah! Wilf's got the money baby!

Muggsy
05-17-2006, 05:30 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

From the tone of that article it looks like the stadium is going to get built with or without the state's participation.

Just watch, if and when da stadium gets built, you'll see all those woithless politicians comin' outta da woodwoik, pattin' demselves on da back an' takin' credit for da stadium gettin' built.

Wilfy looks bedda an' bedda to me. He's a guy that GOES for what he wants. Every mob... er... gang... uh... organization needs a mug like dat to run it, y'know?

Tanks for makin' my day, COJO! :smile:

(Mebbe it's my imagination, but does Wilf kinda look like 'The Godfather'?

Vikefanman2000
05-17-2006, 05:44 AM
Hope this works out! As a lifelong fan living in the state of California, I have heard for years that the Vikes might be going to Los Angeles.... Los Angeles is a pi$$ hole that doesnt deserve a team.... I would rather go to one or two games a year with the team staying in Minnesota then to be able to attend 8 or 9 games a year and have to share the team with the bandwagon LALA crowd!

LAVike
05-17-2006, 06:47 AM
I am forever a skeptic. We've been pulled back and forth so many times over the years, it's exhausting. I really hope a deal gets done, and soon, but until shovels hit the ground . . . I'll resign my optimism.

Get it done!

happy camper
05-17-2006, 06:49 AM
so, if a deal gets done with anoka county..

does this mean there will be no vote? and no politiants voting on it?

what im trying to ask is..

if the deal gets done, do we start building or are there still many valleys to cross?

Warp
05-17-2006, 07:37 AM
Well this all sounds like great news and i seriously hope we get a deal done soon. Im so sick of waiting for a new stadium to be aproved. Lets get it done!

Redrouster
05-17-2006, 07:55 AM
I think if they need some extra workers to get started, I will be right there with my shovel!

Vikes_King
05-17-2006, 08:13 AM
frickin right, (i censor myself here), zygi is a damn pimp

MaddenVodkaAddict
05-17-2006, 10:51 AM
And one must remember after Mr. Wilf's firing Mr. Tice that some people said they had no respect for the former.

singersp
05-17-2006, 12:05 PM
"Redrouster" wrote:

I think if they need some extra workers to get started, I will be right there with my shovel!

If you had your tank there when they were still voting on it, it'd be a done deal already. :wink:

singersp
05-17-2006, 12:25 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Vikings, Anoka County close to stadium deal
Paul Levy And Mike Kaszuba, Star Tribune

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/435648.html

It sounds promising, but there's too much last minute changes going on.

Why all of a sudden, can they build a stadium with a retractable roof without the states help & without Wilf chipping in more?

Also, this story appears to have been pulled from the Trib already. The link is no longer valid & I can't find it in the Trib.

singersp
05-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Posted on Wed, May. 17, 2006

Vikings scramble to clinch stadium

Team, Anoka County amending plan as NFL hints at a Super Bowl

BY ARON KAHN
Pioneer Press

As a potential Super Bowl dangled in front of state legislators, the Minnesota Vikings and Anoka County were hastily hatching an amended stadium plan late Tuesday in hopes the Legislature would agree to support the project in the fading hours of the 2006 session.

The new plan, to be unveiled today, is expected to include a user fee, possibly for spectators or businesses that benefit from the stadium. But state funds, albeit at a lower level, would still be needed to help pay for a retractable roof.

Lawmakers have not been friendly to the idea of state funds going into the project, but National Football League Commissioner Paul Tagliabue told the House-Senate conference committee that Minnesota likely would be the site of the high-profile, big-bucks Super Bowl if the Vikings win a new home address in Blaine.

When asked by a committee member if a new stadium would entice a Super Bowl to Minnesota, Tagliabue said that based on past NFL practice, the answer is "probably yes."

The commissioner tempered his prophesy, however, by pointing out that Super Bowl sites are chosen by a vote of team owners and that he won't have a say in the matter because he retires at the end of July. Minnesota hosted its only Super Bowl — at the Metrodome — in 1992.

In a session with reporters later, Tagliabue emphasized a new stadium's importance in attracting a Super Bowl.

"If you look at where we've played the games for the last 15 years, they've all been rotating around to many cities where new stadiums have been built."

Tagliabue was asked to appear at the committee by the Vikings, who are marshalling forces to win stadium approval in a clearly uphill battle. The committee's sessions are the scene of the high-stakes negotiations that will determine whether the Vikings will win a new stadium or wait another year.

The commissioner said that in retrospect, the Metrodome's multipurpose design — for football and baseball — was not a good idea in terms of team revenue and fan amenities.

"This particular model was not the best choice," he said, adding that the Metrodome is now "inadequate."

He encouraged the committee to find a way to approve a stadium plan offered by owner Zygi Wilf, who wants to connect the stadium to a commercial and entertainment complex.

He called Wilf an "extremely sound owner," adding that the owner's financial pledge to the project is "probably the largest commitment" in NFL history.

The commissioner counseled the committee not to wait another year before approving a Vikings plan, because the cost of building materials is rising rapidly.

"There's a heavy price that goes with delay," he said.

After Tagliabue left, committee members began serious discussion of a compromise measure that would be sent to the House, Senate and governor for approval.

Rep. Morrie Lanning, R-Moorhead, expressed disappointment with the Vikings, who had been offering different plans to the Legislature in the past few days in hopes of striking a friendly accord.

Lanning wanted the team to say what it wants and stick to it.

"It's frustrating that they continue to spin their wheels," he said.

The new Vikings-Anoka County plan will come in response to that concern.

Lanning and other House members encouraged the Senate members of the committee to separate the Vikings bill from the Twins bill, and vote on them separately. The House passed a Twins-only bill, and its representatives said they don't want to jeopardize approval of a Twins ballpark by linking it to a Vikings measure.

Sen. Steve Kelley, DFL-Hopkins, the committee co-chairman and sponsor of a bill that would build two stadiums and fund mass transit, is trying to find a way to keep the Vikings campaign alive in the last days of the session.

But when he asked for a vote on a modification of the Senate plan, the committee turned it down on a voice vote.

Then Rep. Brad Finstad, R-New Ulm, the committee's other co-chairman, told Vikings and Anoka County representatives to present their final plan today. He said the committee has spent 95 percent of its time on the Vikings, and it was time to move the more popular Twins plan ahead.

Don Seeholzer contributed to this report.

Aron Kahn can be reached at 651-228-5420 or akahn@pioneerpress.com. What's next

Key votes on Minnesota Twins and Vikings stadium plans could come today in the House-Senate conference committee studying the proposals.

Vikings scramble to clinch stadium (http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/news/local/14595892.htm)

singersp
05-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Included in the previous article was a poll. If you care to participate in the poll, here is the link;

Are you in favor of a new Vikings stadium if it means the Super Bowl might be played here? (http://forums.twincities.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=kr-quickvote&msg=327)

singersp
05-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Foe of Vikings plan has bark and bite

Harold Hamilton's work against the Anoka County plan and his clout make him a hero to some and a bane to others.

Mike Kaszuba and Sarah McCann, Star Tribune
Last update: May 17, 2006 – 12:06 AM

One of the most influential critics of the Minnesota Vikings stadium proposal does not need to sit through a public hearing at the State Capitol to get his point across. Harold Hamilton operates at a higher level.

President Bush spent two hours visiting Hamilton's small company in Fridley. When he needs information from Congress, Hamilton has the ability to get U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman on the phone. And, as he tells it, Hamilton and other leading Republicans took Gov. Tim Pawlenty "to the woodshed" last fall for straying from the conservative agenda.

For the past half year, Hamilton's considerable influence has made him one of the most outspoken and visible opponents of the Vikings' plan to use a sales-tax increase -- either metrowide or in Anoka County -- to help pay for a new football stadium in Blaine. The fate of the proposed stadium hangs in the balance this week at the Minnesota Legislature, as lawmakers debate financial approval for it and two other stadiums.

Hamilton's website, anokacountywatchdog.com, has railed against the Vikings project at every opportunity. He has swapped caustic letters with Anoka County officials, who complain he is single-handedly stirring up opposition. The Vikings' top spokesman said Hamilton has been personally funding "much of the opposition" in Anoka County.

A straight shooter

"I don't see any reason why the folks in Anoka County should have to pay even a part of a stadium for a billionaire sports owner," said Hamilton, who is in his 70s and said he contributes $50,000 every two years to political candidates.

That attitude has made Hamilton a hero of the stadium's opponents. "I have a lot of respect for what he does," said Ron Holch of Taxpayers for an Anoka County Stadium Referendum, which wants any sales-tax increase to include a referendum.

In the past week, Hamilton has been on the move again. True to his straight-to-the-point style, Hamilton sent a letter to Anoka County asking whether the county had investigated Vikings owner Zygi Wilf's financial ability to keep his promises.

While many top Republicans in the state have sided with the need for new stadiums, Hamilton's views remain those of a Depression-era child who grew up in the Sand Hills of Nebraska. "My brother and I had to work," he said, thinking back. "Forget about good times.

"I didn't say I'm a Republican," said Hamilton, who also sits on the executive committee of the Freedom Club, the influential lobbying group with ties to many of Minnesota's top Republicans. "I'm a conservative."

At a meeting in March, in which he introduced Federal Reserve research director and stadium critic Art Rolnick, Hamilton talked about the need for federal tax cuts and described Social Security as a "huge liability."

"He has some strong beliefs," said Ron Eibensteiner, the former state Republican Party chairman. Eibensteiner said that he played a role in recommending Bush visit Hamilton's 150-employee engineering company, Micro Control Co., in June 2003 and said that Hamilton -- because of his political clout -- can just as easily phone DFLers. "I'm not surprised that some politicians get rather emotional with him," he added.

He has critics, too

The Vikings in particular have been upset that Rep. Chris DeLaForest, R-Andover, has been a leading critic of the team's stadium plan at the Legislature while he also works for Hamilton's company as a public relations director. "It just seems curious that a state legislator is on the payroll of the anti-stadium organization," said Lester Bagley, the team's vice president for public affairs and stadium development.

DeLaForest said he makes decisions at the Legislature independently. "Harold doesn't wield any influence over me," he said.

Steve Novak, Anoka County's lead negotiator on the Vikings stadium project, has also been critical of Hamilton, accusing him of misstating key facts of the stadium proposal. "It's really only gotten heated and personal since the blog started," said Novak, referring to Hamilton's online opposition.

John Hartinger, a former state legislator from Anoka County, said Hamilton's impact on the stadium issue may be less than officials fear. Hartinger said that Hamilton, whom he typically agrees with, has been "burning his bridges" with business leaders in the county, many of whom favor the Vikings stadium.

"I think that's one of the things Harold has to learn. You just can't ramrod something," he said.

But Rhonda Sivarajah, an Anoka County commissioner and a Hamilton supporter, said Hamilton can frustrate those, including her County Board colleagues, who are not used to having the details of a project examined closely. "He's looking out for the taxpayer," she said.

mkaszuba@startribune.com • 612-673-4388 smccann@startribune.com • 612-673-7512

Foe of Vikings plan has bark and bite (http://www.startribune.com/587/story/436943.html)

singersp
05-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Posted on Tue, May. 16, 2006

Vikings work to stay in game, but clock ticking down

BRIAN BAKST
Associated Press

ST. PAUL - The Minnesota Twins remained spectators Tuesday to the Minnesota Vikings as legislative negotiators debated the fate of stadium plans for both teams. But the football franchise was put on notice that its time is expiring.

The House-Senate conference committee working on the pro sports stadiums has spent most of its three meetings discussing how and whether to salvage a Vikings stadium project in Blaine. The Vikings were planning to make a new pitch - their second in three days - on Wednesday.

"At some point we have to move on," said Republican Rep. Brad Finstad, the lead house negotiator.

Finstad said he wants a straight up-or-down vote soon on a Twins-only plan, which would reflect the team's $522 million ballpark proposal. It relies on a higher Hennepin County sales tax enacted without a voter referendum. That plan passed the House in April.

Finstad's counterpart, DFL Sen. Steve Kelley, said the door shouldn't be slammed on the Vikings just yet.

Even so, a Senate proposal to spread a half-cent tax around the metropolitan area to pay for two retractable roof stadiums and transportation projects was voted down.

Earlier in the day, the Vikings enlisted NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue to personally appeal to skeptical lawmakers. Meanwhile, team owner Zygi Wilf told reporters he won't put more money into the project to get a deal done.

And state highway construction officials threw in wrench as well, telling the committee that road work around the stadium would take $270 million - far above the $115 million estimate from the team and Anoka County.

Tagliabue's 30-minute appearance before a House-Senate committee crafting a stadium compromise didn't seem to sway members seeking to sever Twins and Vikings plans.

Tagliabue, who is retiring in July, didn't give lawmakers any firm commitments about league financial help or the possibility of having another Super Bowl in Minnesota. Super Bowls have been awarded through 2010, but the league could select host cities through 2013 in the next 12 months.

The commissioner said there is urgency despite the fact the Vikings have a Metrodome lease that runs through 2011.

"Right now there is a heavy price that goes with delay," he said, mentioning higher cost of materials, rising interest rates and the tenuous nature of an NFL loan program the Vikings are counting on.

Wilf has pledged $280 million toward a new stadium, but roughly $100 million of that could come from the league's loan program paid for with television revenue contributed by all teams.

Wilf's plan has run into trouble at the Capitol because it depended on $115 million in state help plus extra money for accelerated road projects.

Gov. Tim Pawlenty had discouraging words about the Vikings chances.

"The Vikings bill has some substantive challenges and problems," he said.

On Monday, a team official suggested building the stadium in Blaine without a retractable roof to eliminate the need for the $115 million. But Anoka County, which has been willing to put in $280 million through a higher sales tax, wants a roof so the building can be used for concerts and other non-football events.

Wilf said he won't up his contribution.

"Our commitment of $280 million was risky from the start," Wilf said. "We are committed to that amount. It's a substantial amount."

Tagliabue told the committee that Wilf's promise of $1 billion in private investment for the stadium and surrounding development is probably the largest the league has seen from one of its owners.

Still, the unsettled nature of the Vikings plan might be working against them in the session's final hours.

Rep. Morrie Lanning, R-Moorhead, said time is running out on the Vikings and Anoka County.

"It's been a little bit frustrating that they still seem to be spinning their wheels," he said.

As Finstad put it before Tagliabue's testimony: "We're in the fourth quarter, have three seconds left and a 45-yard field goal to kick."

Tagliabue, seated next to Vikings vice president Lester Bagley, had a witty reply.

"I should have brought Adam Vinatieri with me instead of Mr. Bagley," Tagliabue said of the sure-footed Indianapolis Colts kicker.

Brian Bakst can be reached at bbakst@ap.org

Vikings work to stay in game, but clock ticking down (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/14595450.htm)

AngloVike
05-17-2006, 01:25 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"I don't see any reason why the folks in Anoka County should have to pay even a part of a stadium for a billionaire sports owner," said Hamilton, who is in his 70s and said he contributes $50,000 every two years to political candidates.

I won't even try to pretend that I understand US/ Minnesota politics or the way that they work - so I'm looking at this as an outsider. However people like this make me mad when they make stupid comments like that. It is so easy to forget about the benefits that it brings to the area in terms of jobs, taxes,etc - or is it that it's convenient to forget that.
No like all the others whiners he'll accept the extra revenue that comes into the county that helps offset his his state and local taxes each year. He'll happily see his family benefit from jobs and business opportunities that arise from this and yet he doesn't want to spend one dime towards it.
Senile old fool, and I thought dinosaurs died out long ago.. ever heard of the phrase ' speculate to accumulate' ?

Redrouster
05-17-2006, 02:06 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Redrouster" wrote:

If you had your tank there when they were still voting on it, it'd be a done deal already. :wink: LOL, yes you are probably right. And when the the road got all tore up, they could bill Uncle Sam so that woulf fix the new road problem! See, you are always thinking!

mnjamie
05-17-2006, 03:01 PM
"AngloVike" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I won't even try to pretend that I understand US/ Minnesota politics or the way that they work - so I'm looking at this as an outsider. However people like this make me mad when they make stupid comments like that. It is so easy to forget about the benefits that it brings to the area in terms of jobs, taxes,etc - or is it that it's convenient to forget that.
No like all the others whiners he'll accept the extra revenue that comes into the county that helps offset his his state and local taxes each year. He'll happily see his family benefit from jobs and business opportunities that arise from this and yet he doesn't want to spend one dime towards it.
Senile old fool, and I thought dinosaurs died out long ago.. ever heard of the phrase ' speculate to accumulate' ?

You nailed it Anglo. Older gentleman just trying to protect what he has long worked for, you can't blame him ... But I think he also is missing the point, it's only going to help his business in the long run having more attention on Anoka County.

What I don't understand is, what is his beef with the Vikes with what little amount of money they are asking for from the state?? Road construction and as of the last couple days PARTIAL funding for a roof that when a Super Bowl arrives (which we all know is a done deal if a roof is approved) will easily double the cost of such with funds back into the state.

I LOVE THE FACT that Wilfi is giving the state the finger and is strongly considering:

a) No Roof at ALL
b) No road improvements

As Tags stated, GB and Chicago do very well without a roof and no superbowls. The road improvements will have to be done sometime by the state anyways, sure Wilfi would like them done now, but not a pressing need if it is going to kill the entire deal.

I am totally in favor of Northern Lights, stadium included, being owned and controlled by Wilf and the NFL only. Screw the State of MN House and Senate .... DO IT BY YOURSELF and circumvent the entire process.

The "Godfather" does it again, on his own.

I salute you Mr. Wilf !!!!!! :salute:

COJOMAY
05-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Something isn't right here. When I posted this original article last evening it sounded like it was a done deal. From the tone of the original article Anoka County had decided they wanted the retractable room and were willing to pony up some more money for it. Even though the state legislature wasn't going to go along with it, the county and Wilf didn't give a darn. They would build the stadium and the Northern Lights complex and the state would be forced to upgrade the roads.
I got to thinking back when the state legislature said that there was no need for a referendum which opened the way for Anoka County and Wilf to do the deal themselves as per the original thinking. Then when "Tag" comes to town I expect to hear a big announcement that the deal is done.
I went to bed last night thinking the Stadium woes were behind us. Now the article is pulled by the Tribune (apparently because of inaccuracies) but it sounded so positive. Who was responsible for getting that article pulled? Wilf? The Governor? Some high ranking member of the legislature?
Anyway, now it looks like after being within a hairs breath of the deal being done we are back to square one.

VikesfaninWis
05-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Man, one minute it looks like it is a done deal, then the next it is blown out of the water.. I am frustrated as all hell, I can't imagine how you Minnesotans feel.....

NodakPaul
05-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Personally, I didn't regard any of the last few days as a sign of a done deal for the Vikings. I think it was a stong move by the Vikings to bring Tags in, and to stand firm on only spending the $280 Wilf originally committed. It is IMHO setting up the stage for the next legislative session. If the price tag goes up another $50 million due to rising labor and fuel costs next session, then only the elected officials can be to blame, and hopefully they can pull their heads out of their asses.

Let's face it, vey few of us thought we would make it as far as we did this session. We are still closer than we ever were with Red to getting the new stadium. Still keeping my fingers crossed...

sodaknick
05-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Ahhh, politics. It's a beautiful thing, as long as you're the "screwer" and not the "screwee". We are lucky to have an owner like Zygi. I hope he builds the stadium and kicks those idiots in St. Paul in the groin.

bmc342
05-17-2006, 05:05 PM
i don't understand what all the excitement is about...the state legislature still has to approve the plan. the Vikings and Anoka County already had a deal before, this is just a revised one. am i missing something? please enlighten me if i am.

VikingPatrick
05-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Well, I dont get it!!
How does a team like Arizona get a state of the art stadium built. They have been crap forever with an idiot for an owner always threatening to move his team. Yet they got it done!
I am not into politics and dont really understand the B.S. that goes on but to me its very simple. Keep the politics out of it!! Mr Wilf should build his stadium and reap in all the profits for himself. Isnt that kinda what Jerry Jones does? There is so much to gain from a new stadium. Jobs, Superbowls, income, community upgrade, etc.
Mr Spock said it best...."the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one" in this case if the stadium is built, we all win there are no losers. the losers are those who have no interest in sports at all and do not want to open their wallets for something they dont need.
Unfortunately, these are probably the polititions that are pulling the strings holding up the process!!
They need to wake up and smell the manure.
Yeah it stinks but it goes away after a while.
I am from Los Angeles. Please dont bring the team here!!
I look forward every year to going to at least 2 games to get waway from my wife for a couple of weekends a year!!! If they moved here I will not support them as they would become......
The Los Angeles Riot.....The Raiders moved out thank god!! We dont need any more trouble!!

cajunvike
05-17-2006, 08:33 PM
If Tags and Wilf want Anoka County to kick in the additional $115 mil for the retractable roof, then they need to PROMISE a DEFINITE SUPER BOWL in the new stadium for the NEXT AVAILABLE date (2011, I think). That would DEFINITELY be worth the expenditure by the County.

NodakPaul
05-17-2006, 08:53 PM
"cajunvike" wrote:

If Tags and Wilf want Anoka County to kick in the additional $115 mil for the retractable roof, then they need to PROMISE a DEFINITE SUPER BOWL in the new stadium for the NEXT AVAILABLE date (2011, I think). That would DEFINITELY be worth the expenditure by the County.

That would help, but I doubt the owners are going to visit the subject until the next owners meeting, which is long after the state legislative session ends.

Maybe that could be an item for next year. Kinda like how New York got the nod contingent on a new stadium being built (even though they later lost it...)

Vikes_King
05-17-2006, 10:29 PM
doesnt matter if its after the legislative session if anoka is paying for the roof, it doesnt have to do anything with state funding then, only county.

the only thing that would NOT be done is the road improvements. Which we all know, ecspecially Wilf which is why he's saying it, if he gets the deal in place and the stadium underway, the state & MnDoT WILL fork over the money or no one will want to ride i-35 w/ all the new traffic lol

NodakPaul
05-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Yeah. it would matter. Even without state funding it still has to go through the state government. Look at the Twins bill. That was asking for no state money.

Ltrey33
05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
This sucks. Period.

Json
05-17-2006, 11:31 PM
It's a lost cause. With that dip-shit governor this will never happen. Thanks for trying Wilf!

purplepride818
05-17-2006, 11:57 PM
"VikingPatrick" wrote:

Well, I dont get it!!
How does a team like Arizona get a state of the art stadium built. They have been crap forever with an idiot for an owner always threatening to move his team. Yet they got it done!
I am not into politics and dont really understand the B.S. that goes on but to me its very simple. Keep the politics out of it!! Mr Wilf should build his stadium and reap in all the profits for himself. Isnt that kinda what Jerry Jones does? There is so much to gain from a new stadium. Jobs, Superbowls, income, community upgrade, etc.
Mr Spock said it best...."the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few, or the one" in this case if the stadium is built, we all win there are no losers. the losers are those who have no interest in sports at all and do not want to open their wallets for something they dont need.
Unfortunately, these are probably the polititions that are pulling the strings holding up the process!!
They need to wake up and smell the manure.
Yeah it stinks but it goes away after a while.
I am from Los Angeles. Please dont bring the team here!!
I look forward every year to going to at least 2 games to get waway from my wife for a couple of weekends a year!!! If they moved here I will not support them as they would become......
The Los Angeles Riot.....The Raiders moved out thank god!! We dont need any more trouble!!

im with you patrick. i cant stand raiders fans as it is, i cant imagine rooting for a team with all those assholes. i dont know what i would do if they moved. the vikings are everything i know and love about sports and if their not in minnesota and not the vikings anymore i would probably sink into a major depression. i feel like telling all those idiot politicians and people who dont support it how stupid they are but im just 1 person 100s of miles away.

skum
05-18-2006, 12:53 AM
As long as the Vikings stay the Minnesota Vikings.. im happy!!

shawn9876uss
05-18-2006, 01:02 AM
I think that they are going to get something done with no money from the state. I think that Wilf and Anoka will split the cost somehow and just have it built

cajunvike
05-18-2006, 01:05 AM
"mnjamie" wrote:

"AngloVike" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

You nailed it Anglo. Older gentleman just trying to protect what he has long worked for, you can't blame him ... But I think he also is missing the point, it's only going to help his business in the long run having more attention on Anoka County.

What I don't understand is, what is his beef with the Vikes with what little amount of money they are asking for from the state?? Road construction and as of the last couple days PARTIAL funding for a roof that when a Super Bowl arrives (which we all know is a done deal if a roof is approved) will easily double the cost of such with funds back into the state.

I LOVE THE FACT that Wilfi is giving the state the finger and is strongly considering:

a) No Roof at ALL
b) No road improvements

As Tags stated, GB and Chicago do very well without a roof and no superbowls. The road improvements will have to be done sometime by the state anyways, sure Wilfi would like them done now, but not a pressing need if it is going to kill the entire deal.

I am totally in favor of Northern Lights, stadium included, being owned and controlled by Wilf and the NFL only. Screw the State of MN House and Senate .... DO IT BY YOURSELF and circumvent the entire process.

The "Godfather" does it again, on his own.

I salute you Mr. Wilf !!!!!! :salute:

If that was what Wilf and the NFL REALLY wanted...it would have happened already! What they want to do is milk as much as possible out of the MN government before they put up one cent of their own money...just like the rest of the major sports owners...because they CAN!!!

SharperVikings
05-18-2006, 02:48 AM
"shawn9876uss" wrote:

I think that they are going to get something done with no money from the state. I think that Wilf and Anoka will split the cost somehow and just have it built

god the state is sooo slow!!