View Full Version : Childress stressing up-tempo practices

singersp
05-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Posted on Sat, May. 13

NFL: Childress stressing up-tempo practices

Vikings' veterans like new coach's program

By Sean Jensen
Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL - In his inaugural minicamp last month, Minnesota Vikings first-year coach Brad Childress worked to establish a revved-up rhythm to practices.

Veterans picked up the pace and gained a glimpse of what life would be like under Childress.

"Since I've been playing, that was the highest-intensity minicamp I've ever been to," said defensive tackle Pat Williams, who has played in the NFL for 10 seasons. "It was full speed all the time."

Cornerback Fred Smoot, with five years in the league, appreciated the accelerated sessions."That's the tempo you need to work at," Smoot said. "That reminds me of the tempo Gregg Williams and Joe Gibbs had (with the Washington Redskins, his former team).

"I think that's a great thing."

Rookies join minicamp sessions today through Monday at Winter Park. Childress expects his experienced players to help the newcomers neophytes get going.

"More than anything, not only are they getting system, but they're also understanding tempo," Childress said. "And the best people to teach them that are the last guys to be here."

Childress knows some of the rookies' heads might be spinning as they try to get acclimated to pro football.

"They're just trying to figure out the drill," Childress said of the new additions. "That's everything from where do we meet, what time to do we meet and what happens next. They've got a myriad of things coming at them that they're having to contend with."

Williams said fellow veterans were "hesitant" at first about the team's new program, including an offseason conditioning model set by new strength and conditioning coach Tom Kanavy.

"I was complaining about the offseason program," Williams said. "But now, it's paid off. This is the best I've felt in any offseason at this point."

Williams said he weighs 325 pounds, about 10 pounds less than his usual weight at this point in the offseason.

Smoot said he is in optimal shape and that he weighs 200 pounds. He applauded the workout regimen Kanavy prescribed.

"I feel real good about it," Smoot said. "It's more of a common-sense workout. They tailor the workouts for each player."

Smoot said he would rather pay the price now than later.

"It's tiring and it hurts. But this is the time of year you want to hurt, rather than December," Smoot said. "Everyone says you win in December and January. But you win right now, and coach has that mentality. He knows you have to be prepared."

With training camp a little more than two months away, Smoot praised owner Zygi Wilf for the slew of changes he made in the offseason.

"What Mr. Wilf did was amazing," Smoot said. "He upgraded the strength department and made a clear upgrade in coaching. He upgraded everything, including Winter Park.

"I think you're going to see a lot of differences in the Vikings. Zygi is doing everything from the owners' standpoint for us to win."

Starting with hiring Childress.

Childress stressing up-tempo practices (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/14569583.htm)

MightyVikes12391
05-13-2006, 02:46 PM
ada boy Childress

Prophet
05-13-2006, 02:47 PM
"What Mr. Wilf did was amazing," Smoot said. "He upgraded the strength department and made a clear upgrade in coaching. He upgraded everything, including Winter Park."

"I think you're going to see a lot of differences in the Vikings. Zygi is doing everything from the owners' standpoint for us to win."

I get fired up every time I read stuff like this. Leaders with brains are a good start.

BadlandsVikings
05-13-2006, 03:12 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"What Mr. Wilf did was amazing," Smoot said. "He upgraded the strength department and made a clear upgrade in coaching. He upgraded everything, including Winter Park."

I get fired up every time I read stuff like this. Leaders with brains are a good start.Good to hear, keep everybody motivated.

NordicNed
05-13-2006, 03:28 PM
I'll just pray this High Octane mentality carry's onto the field for the season......Sounds great whats going on with the players and new coaching though.....

jdvike
05-13-2006, 04:13 PM
This team hasn't had a coach to kick their butts since Grant retired.
I love it, and only good can come of this.
Hopefully after practice, they will be too tired to go sailing,or drinking and driving etc. :wink:

Leave it all on the field... not at the local club after the game :!:

vike_mike
05-13-2006, 04:37 PM
By the way, I am new here. Hope to stay for a long time. I am from Cincinnati, and NO!!! I am not a Bengals fan at all!!!! Hate them. Been a Vikings fan since 1971 at the age of 4. Got a question though. Don't you all think that it is kind of taking Smoot out of his element? Cover 2 is a zone defense and Smoots A game is man to man cover?

VikesfaninWis
05-13-2006, 04:37 PM
I agree with Prophet on this one.. I get so pumped to read stories like this. Good to see our new coach instilling toughness in these guys. Phat Pat is 10 lbs lighter then he has ever been at this time of the year, that is great. Imagine that guy lighter and quicker?

I can't wait for that Sept. 11th Monday Night Football game against Washington. I can't wait to hear those horns blow at the Metrodome, can't wait to see Ragnar riding on the field. I for sure can't wait to see our cheerleaders... Go Vikings

vike_mike
05-13-2006, 04:38 PM
I agree totally. I have been waiting for someone to hit our players hard, right in the mouth like ole' Grant used to do.

jdvike
05-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Welcome vike_mike,you should post an introduction in the free beer forum, so more members can welcome you aboard.I hope you enjoy it here,we have some very good people on this site.

vike_mike
05-13-2006, 04:46 PM
Okay thanks. I will post it there. I don't know why I didn't get to your forum 15 years ago if it was around then.

jdvike
05-13-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure how long PPO has been around...I lurked around here for a couple years before I joined.
Lots of friendly people here.. who are all Viking crazy!

vike_mike
05-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Sucks to have that water boy title though.

jdvike
05-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Post well, post often, and titles don't matter. IMO

vike_mike
05-13-2006, 05:13 PM
JD vike, IYO, do you think that the cover 2 is playing Smoot out of his element. He is a man to man cover guy. M2M is his forte'.

jdvike
05-13-2006, 05:23 PM
No,the Tampa 2 doesn't suit his strengths,but the way he got torched last year(Panther game)Im wondering what his real strengths are...Smith owned him last year...after that game he wasn't even able to unseat Williams as the starter...I'm guessing if he can't adapt by years end, he will be trade bait next year, if the cap hit isn't too severe..JMHO

Smoot needs to shut his mouth and show he can play,then he can go back to talking trash.

vike_mike
05-13-2006, 05:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone has seen the WR pool of players that are going to be available next year in 2007 draft? It is going to be a very rich receiver draft. A lot of them will be at least 6'2" and above. I am really high on Jarrett Hicks out of Texas Tech.

vike_mike
05-13-2006, 05:30 PM
I agree. Don't talk trash if you can't back it up.

singersp
05-13-2006, 05:30 PM
"jdvike" wrote:

They do to me. It makes searching for them later much easier & it's nice to know what the thread is about based on the title before you open it.

With thread titles like "WTF????" & "You gotta see this!!!" a person hasn't got a clue as to the thread topic. :wink:

IMO, topic titles of that nature are assanine.

vike_mike
05-13-2006, 05:34 PM
Got to go soccer practice. Will be back soon.

stateVIKE44
05-13-2006, 05:36 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"jdvike" wrote:

They do to me. It makes searching for them later much easier & it's nice to know what the thread is about based on the title before you open it.

With thread titles like "WTF????" & "You gotta see this!!!" a person hasn't got a clue as to the thread topic. :wink:

i believe he meant titles like; Waterboy, Rookie, Pro-browler, PP.O anchorman, etc, dont matter

SharperVikings
05-13-2006, 05:37 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

I get fired up every time I read stuff like this. Leaders with brains are a good start.

No kidding...I get sooo pumped when I read these kind of articles! It just makes me want to go to a game horribly!

VikesfaninWis
05-13-2006, 05:46 PM
"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"jdvike" wrote:

i believe he meant titles like; Waterboy, Rookie, Pro-browler, PP.O anchorman, etc, dont matter

Yes, I believe you are right... Don't worry, just Singers jumping the gun again.. :lol:

jdvike
05-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Yes,sorry I wasn't clear enough..I was responding to vike_mike's comment about being a waterboy.
Im a moderator on a couple video forums, and I have seen newbies(waterboys)that are more knowledgeable,than people with thousands of posts....hence my comment that titles mean nothing.

singersp
05-13-2006, 05:58 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"jdvike" wrote:

Yes, I believe you are right... Don't worry, just Singers jumping the gun again.. :lol:

What do you mean again?

When I see "posts" & "titles" in the same sentence, it's easy to think he meant thread titles. :wink:

COJOMAY
05-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Vike_Mike:
You don't live too far from me...I live about 40 miles upriver from Cincinnati near Maysville, KY. And, like you, I hate the Bengals. I was at the Bengels/Vikes game last year and got so abused by the Bengals fans I would never root for them. And Marvin Lewis is drafting a team of "jailbirds" this year and that team is gonna face some trouble with disclipine -- Mark my words!
I love the tone of this article about Childress. I have always felt that the last few years the Vikes were not in tip-top physical condition for the season. Looks like that is going to be a change for the better. And it looks like the team members are buying into it! That's nice to hear.

jdvike
05-13-2006, 06:17 PM
We have been needing a disciplinarian like Childress seems to be,for more years than I can count....can't wait for the season to start.

jdvike
05-13-2006, 06:20 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"jdvike" wrote:

What do you mean again?

When I see "posts" & "titles" in the same sentence, it's easy to think he meant thread titles. :wink:

What I meant by putting those in the same sentence was.. if mike posts often he won't be a waterboy for long...sorry about the confusion. :wink:

crazyB
05-13-2006, 06:21 PM
what was this thread about again :oops: oh yeh Childress stressing up good on him, a well disaplined team is a strong team so let's hope he keep's it up and the team do us proud on the field this season.

:cool: :grin: :cool:

howkings
05-13-2006, 08:27 PM
I like the fact that Smoot is taken this year seriously. I think he has something to prove after his poor performance last year. Talking can only get you so far.

VikesfaninWis
05-13-2006, 08:32 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"stateVIKE44" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"jdvike" wrote:

What do you mean again?

:sign5: I knew you would respond eventually.. Just wasn't sure how you were going to respond.. :smile:

singersp
05-13-2006, 08:59 PM
I am definitely ready for some football.............NOW!

damien927
05-13-2006, 09:24 PM
what excites me the most about this story is that Smoot is up to 200 lbs and is in "optimal shape". He was listed at 174 lbs. for last year. 26 lbs of muscle could really help him in defending bigger recievers and maybe bring an overall toughness that is similar to his mouth.

BadlandsVikings
05-13-2006, 09:26 PM
"singersp" wrote:

I am definitely ready for some football.............NOW!

Start the season in August instead of Spetember so the Super Bowl can be in January again. The Offseason is too long.

bigdaddy72_1
05-13-2006, 10:01 PM
I am really excited to hear about how the offseason strength program has impacted the team. There are so many players in the NFL that let themselves go in the offseason, and never get better. A program like this will put our players in position to improve everyday. Staying in shape allows the team to concetrate on football during mini/training camps rather than having to compensate for those guys who are dragging a$$.

It is wonderful to hear from the players how much they appreciate what new owner has done for them. These guys feel like evryone cares and is giving them a chance. Rather than having to complain about subpar facilities and infrastructure.

Childress continues to impress me. He has a very serious and professional approach to EVERY aspect of this franchise. Creating a tempo like he has will definitely translate to much more comfortable players at game time. Young guys won't be wondering what the NFL is like, they will know because he is demanding the best effort out of everyone. And I really hope there aren't people out there going, "But if he keeps pushing them so hard they will be wore out by the time the season is here." That is complete crap. I went through two polar-opposite style hockey coaches when I was playing in high school. The one worked us hard all year long, through practice, weight lifting, conditioning, etc. While the other one let the players do what they wanted to do during the offseason, so when the season came around we had to waste practice time because we had to make sure that everyone was in shape, taking time away from preparing for opponents and even just teaching the game (because no matter which sport you play you can never stop learning). And needless to say the seasons' outcomes were also very different. The year round disciplined coach lead us to a conference championship and a great showing at the state tournament. Whereas, the idiot (having only lost two varsity players from the previous year) barely qualified for the state tournament, and we looked like crap 95% of the season because I was much more tired from having to condition during the season rather the offseason. Childress is putting our team in great position to succeed.

GO VIKES!

DaunteHOF
05-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Everybpdy is saying the right things and nice little jab at Mike Tice there...