PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical

Redmption
05-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Lets say Brad Johnson goes down with injury and McMahon isnt winning any games as the QB. At what point should Travaris go in? Do you stick with McMahon until the season is a guaranteed no playoff contention or do you throw him in after the first few McMahon losses and see what he can do?

Zeus
05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
"Redmption" wrote:

Lets say Brad Johnson goes down with injury and McMahon isnt winning any games as the QB. At what point should Travaris go in? Do you stick with McMahon until the season is a guaranteed no playoff contention or do you throw him in after the first few McMahon losses and see what he can do?

I think Jackson needs to spend the entire season on the pine, learning from whoever the Vikes put out there, be that Johnson, McMahon, JT Sullivan, Shaun Hill.....

=Z=

Redmption
05-12-2006, 03:32 PM
Personally I think if the season is lost theres no better way to learn than first hand experience. Get some games under his belt and be able to start in 2007, Eli Manning style

NordicNed
05-12-2006, 03:38 PM
I'de first have to look at the loses and see if they where all because of McMahon's play or where they a combination of his poor play and play by others.

Personaly, I'de rather see TJ just use this season for learning and developing. This also gives him the chance to build up his body and work on strength.....I'de hate to see him thrown to the wolves and get injured himself on top of it...

Brad is tough, and I would hate to see him go down for any reason this upcoming season......

ultravikingfan
05-12-2006, 03:49 PM
You put in Jackson when we are out of playoff contention, that's when.

We need every opportunity to ge to the playoffs.

NodakPaul
05-12-2006, 03:54 PM
I am counting on BJ not going down. If he does, it depends on what week it is. If it happened in week 15, and the only two games left were GB and St louis, I wouldn't mind seeing TJ go in. Otherwise, TJ needs to ride the pine and learn regardless of who is taking snaps.

Vikes_King
05-12-2006, 05:01 PM
i wouldnt put him in unless the season done with

COJOMAY
05-12-2006, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to count out McMahon. He may not be the best QB in the world but we still have a good running game with our offensive line and when the run works well, even McMahon can hit open receivers.

whackthepack
05-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I hope that Brad does not go down, but if he does and we are out of the playoff race then I would like to see them try Jackson and get some hands on experience and a little test under fire.

I would prefer that he comes in at the end of a few games when the Vikes are blowing out a few teams to take some snaps and get his feet wet that way.

shawn9876uss
05-12-2006, 06:14 PM
I hope that he does not come in and play, I know he has skills, but I don't think that he is going to be able to play for squat, I hope he can watch and learn from brad for AT LEAST 2 years.

jargomcfargo
05-12-2006, 06:20 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to count out McMahon. He may not be the best QB in the world but we still have a good running game with our offensive line and when the run works well, even McMahon can hit open receivers.

Exactly what I was thinking.
The cure for what ails a defensive backfield is a pass rush.
The cure for what ails a quarterback is a run game.
I am really looking forward to seeing T-Jack in the preseason games. I hope they let him play behind the first string line for a series or two.

JDogg926
05-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I can assure you guys after Madden created Spencer Myers (the Vikings starting QB in my Madden Franchise, and 2nd round pick of a few seasons ago) went down with an injury in week 9. McMahon stepped in and went 16 for 20 for 376 yards and 3 TD's the next week at the Saints, who just so happened to be starting Michael Bennett at running back. I benched him in favor of user created Bigg Mofo in the 4th quarter, just to ensure he would be available for the next game since Myers is our 4 weeks. If this is any indication, he'll be fine.

whackthepack
05-12-2006, 07:05 PM
"JDogg926" wrote:

I can assure you guys after Madden created Spencer Myers (the Vikings starting QB in my Madden Franchise, and 2nd round pick of a few seasons ago) went down with an injury in week 9. McMahon stepped in and went 16 for 20 for 376 yards and 3 TD's the next week at the Saints, who just so happened to be starting Michael Bennett at running back. I benched him in favor of user created Bigg Mofo in the 4th quarter, just to ensure he would be available for the next game since Myers is our 4 weeks. If this is any indication, he'll be fine.

It is a madden football game and there is no person named Spencer Myers he is fictitious and McMahon is not going to come in and be an all star, not going to happen! If Brad goes down we are screwed!

WinonaVike
05-12-2006, 07:20 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"JDogg926" wrote:

It is a madden football game and there is no person named Spencer Myers he is fictitious and McMahon is not going to come in and be an all star, not going to happen! If Brad goes down we are screwed!

I think he was being sarcastic...

WinonaVike
05-12-2006, 07:21 PM
"AWZeus" wrote:

"Redmption" wrote:

I think Jackson needs to spend the entire season on the pine, learning from whoever the Vikes put out there, be that Johnson, McMahon, JT Sullivan, Shaun Hill.....

=Z=

By the way, Shaun Hill is no longer with the Vikings.

jdvike
05-12-2006, 07:32 PM
I would hope that T-Jack does not see the field this year(maybe in the preseason)...I wouldn't worry too much about him getting hurt. I would worry about his psyche, and confidence getting damaged.
McNair(I use Steve as an example because he came from a small school also) pretty much sat the bench for his first 2 years,and I believe McNair was a much more polished QB.
T-Jack needs to ride the pine for at least 1 year IMHO

Prophet
05-12-2006, 10:12 PM
What if the whole team is injured? Will they put all of them on IR and make a team out of free agents?

PackSux!
05-13-2006, 12:26 AM
I think you all are underestimating McMahon. If he has to come in and play he will be just fine.

MightyVikes12391
05-13-2006, 12:47 AM
I dont know i dont really think Mcman was anything good at all when he took over for McNabb last year

BadlandsVikings
05-13-2006, 01:03 AM
Only put Jackson in when he is ready and has learned the system. Not any sooner.

singersp
05-13-2006, 01:20 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I'm not to sold on that. McMahon's passing completion average is only 44.5% & his average yards per completion is only 5.6.

COJOMAY
05-13-2006, 02:01 AM
Singer: Ya but not behind as good an offensive line as we'll have.

jdvike
05-13-2006, 02:15 AM
I'm not completely sold on Mac either, but judging him on how he played last year is not really fair.The Eagles, after losing T.O.,had zip for WR's.
After Westbrook got hurt...what little running game they had... vanished.

Childress sees something in him, that we don't, so I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

ThaSuperFreak33
05-13-2006, 02:18 AM
When you have no shot at the playoffs.

singersp
05-13-2006, 02:33 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Singer: Ya but not behind as good an offensive line as we'll have.

If our line was that good, Brad wouldn't be injured in the 1st place & we wouldn't even be talking about McMahon. :wink:

Seriously though, the right side of our line still has to prove to me how good they are.

With McKinnie & Hutch on the left side, if I was the defense coordinator, I would stack up a rush attack from the right side.

PackSux!
05-13-2006, 02:53 AM
"MightyVikes12391" wrote:

I dont know i dont really think Mcman was anything good at all when he took over for McNabb last year

When McMahon took over for Donavan he had what to work with on offense? he had no Brian Westbrook, No T.O. and only 1 or 2 starting offensive lineman? You cant look at how he played last season at all. Mike McMahon has only been in the league for three years, obviously coach Childress knows something that we dont. Normally it takes how long to be a good solid quarterback in this league? Atleast three years unless you a phenom.

Warp
05-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Id only wanna see TJ in there if we were out of playoff contention. Unless Brad and McMahon both get injured. But i am really excited to see what TJ can do. Preseason should be pretty fun to watch.

Ltrey33
05-13-2006, 02:05 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Yep!

singersp
05-13-2006, 02:14 PM
"Ltrey33" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

Yep!

I think you put our second best QB in there, whether it's McMahon, T-Jack or (cough, snicker) JT.

Until I see all three of them strut there stuff in pre-season, it'll be tough to say at this point who the number 2 is going to be.

So far, it's looking like McMahon, but things change. Granted, McMahon is more familiar with the WCO, but this is a new team for him as well.

Childress just may run his WCO differently than it was done in Philly.

DaunteHOF
05-14-2006, 06:52 AM
I doubt Bj will go down but let TJ learn fully, coming from a low system and the pro game is waaaaaay harder.

Vikes_King
05-14-2006, 09:52 AM
the only good thing i see about picking up mike mac is that childress was with him and the eagles.. obviously he thinks he's got something that we just didnt see last year

vike_mike
05-14-2006, 08:23 PM
No matter what, Tarvaris J. should sit and learn. The Bengals did that with Carson and look how good he is. T.J. should watch as much tape of defenses and reading defenses that he wouldn't want to watch another one ever!! Daunte never had to read but one or two types of defenses because of Randy. Now you have several different ones. I want T.J. to master all of them. If he does this, he will be ready next year with out a doubt. Why have we not hired Chris Carter as our receivers coach? I would have insisted on it.

mr.woo
05-14-2006, 08:27 PM
if we cant get to the playoffs that prolly means the qb is doing so hot. why would you want tavaris to learn from mchmaon? i say go in and get game experiance

i_bleed_purple
05-14-2006, 08:34 PM
i think mcmahon will get the #2 spot. TJ won't see any playing time except during preseason. McMahon isn't all that bad actually. you have to remember in philly he had absolutely NO recievers to throw to. he had absolutely NO running game to help out either. with the line we have now and the recievers, if mcmahon has to step in, i don't think he will do too bad. he won't ahve a 300 yard game, but he won't do thaaatt bad.

vike_mike
05-14-2006, 08:47 PM
I am sorry, I am just not a McMahon fan at all. I remember him when he was with Detroit. He was horrible. Even with our defense we used to eat him up. I just hope and pray that Brad will be there all season and T.J. can learn from him.