PDA

View Full Version : McMahon condo robbed

singersp
05-08-2006, 01:03 PM
From KFFL;

Vikings | McMahon condo robbed

Sun, 7 May 2006 23:22:15 -0700

The Miami Herald reports Minnesota Vikings QB Mike McMahon told Miami Beach police that someone stole two watches, a $21,250 Rolex and $7,745 Chopard, from his condo at Murano Grande in South Beach.

Prophet
05-08-2006, 02:01 PM
POSTED 8:00 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 9:17 p.m. EDT, May 7, 2006

ALFALFA GETS ROBBED
Mike Florio (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

Joan Fleischman of the Miami Herald reports that Vikings backup quarterback Mike "Thick-Necked Alfalfa" McMahon recently was robbed of two pricey watches.

Taken from his $1.65 million Miami condo, McMahon claims, were a $21,250 Rolex and a $7,745 Chopard. (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/columnists/14520600.htm) Six less valuable timepieces in the same leather case as the stolen items were left behind.

Regardless of the fact that McMahon lost nearly 30 large in arm clocks, what the hell is a career backup who has never really hit the NFL lottery doing in a $1.65 million crib? Sure, he can probably sell the thing at a profit when his career ends, but he's got a lot of cash tied up in his South Florida living quarters.

McMahon signed a two-year, $2 million contract earlier this year with the Vikings. He was selected in the fifth round of the 2001 draft, and spent four total seasons in Detroit. He signed a two-year deal with the Eagles in 2005, and was released after only one year.

Turboe
05-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Lets see Mike's pad costs a little more than a year and a half's salary for him....

How many of you out there making 70K would think living in a house that costs $110,000 was being overly extravagant?

VikesfaninWis
05-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Why does he need not 1, but 2 watches that are that expensive? These people just piss away their money like it is nothing...

snowinapril
05-08-2006, 04:27 PM
"Turboe" wrote:

Lets see Mike's pad costs a little more than a year and a half's salary for him....

How many of you out there making 70K would think living in a house that costs $110,000 was being overly extravagant?

No way!

70k = 150,000 - 300,000 atleast. JMHO

Depends how well it is financed.
Depends on how financially responsible the buyers are, are they carrying a lot of debt?? It is an individual thing.

snowinapril
05-08-2006, 04:31 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

ALFALFA GETS ROBBED

Regardless of the fact that McMahon lost nearly 30 large in arm clocks, what the hell is a career backup who has never really hit the NFL lottery doing in a $1.65 million crib? Sure, he can probably sell the thing at a profit when his career ends, but he's got a lot of cash tied up in his South Florida living quarters.

What pisses me off is that Florio thinks he needs to tell people how to live?

Mike Florio, keep your opinions to yourself.

Turboe
05-08-2006, 11:22 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

ALFALFA GETS ROBBED

Thats what I was getting at too. Not only is it none of his business, it isnt even that extravagant. I can tell you that my wife and I have a house that is a hell of a lot more of a percentage of our income than that condo is of Mikes income. And I dont think we are living extravagantly.

It was like when it was learned Jordan used to like to play for thousands of dollars on the golf course, and people just were outraged. That is like me playing for a $5 nassau, which I have been known to do, and I am not what you would call a big time gambler.

LAVike
05-08-2006, 11:48 PM
What people spend their money on is no one else's business (wish the same could be said of the IRS--it is definitely their business). Those watches might have been gifts, too. I suppose this guy never thought of that. Pro athletes and celebs get free $hit all the time.

snowinapril
05-08-2006, 11:52 PM
I can see where the watches being so expensive and all could be called extravagant by some but the way I see it, for an athlete, it is a status symbol of sorts.

Just like tons of people go out and by a Hummer or a Mercedes, it is a status symbol. Each to there own I guess. Some people aren't happy unless they can have the absolute best.

I personally don't think that I could buy a $21,000 watch, but my attitude might change if I had that kind of money to spend. But I am not going to jusge him for buying it. In 3 to 5 years when he is no longer able to perform a Ty Detmer type role in the NFL, he might be wondering why he spent $21,000 on a watch.

snowinapril
05-08-2006, 11:56 PM
"LAVike" wrote:

What people spend their money on is no one else's business (wish the same could be said of the IRS--it is definitely their business). Those watches might have been gifts, too. I suppose this guy never thought of that. Pro athletes and celebs get free $hit all the time.

Good point, thinking outside the box. Thought crossed my mind that his daddy might have got it for him????

The other thing is maybe he had regrets about buying the expensive watches, and knowing nobody that can afford a watch like that would buy one second hand, he had someone steal them. ---------- Low blow to even suggest it?

Insurance pays full replacement value??

cajunvike
05-09-2006, 12:12 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

ALFALFA GETS ROBBED

Florio would rather McMahon live in a rented apartment and spend all of his money on hookers and coke...that way he would have more stuff to write about! :lol:

Good investing on McMahon's part...that condo will appreciate nicely!

snowinapril
05-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Yah, McMahon brought this on himself by owning those watches according to this article.

It is a crime to spend money I guess.

Yah, the hooker thing would be more interesting. No, a crack whore and living in a crack house would be more story worthy.

cajunvike
05-09-2006, 12:24 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I can see where the watches being so expensive and all could be called extravagant by some but the way I see it, for an athlete, it is a status symbol of sorts.

Just like tons of people go out and by a Hummer or a Mercedes, it is a status symbol. Each to there own I guess. Some people aren't happy unless they can have the absolute best.

I personally don't think that I could buy a $21,000 watch, but my attitude might change if I had that kind of money to spend. But I am not going to jusge him for buying it. In 3 to 5 years when he is no longer able to perform a Ty Detmer type role in the NFL, he might be wondering why he spent $21,000 on a watch.

Trust me...you attitude WILL change! I let my wife buy me a pretty expensive watch as a wedding present...and that was something I never though that I would get, much less wear...but things change...and if you can afford it (and not put yourself in a bind acquiring it), then by all means go for it! At least he's buying stuff that he can resell for a decent amount of money if things go south!

viks_fan21
05-09-2006, 12:29 AM
"Turboe" wrote:

Good point, my mom makes $100k a year, and our house was appraised at $300,000. So, we spent three years salary on our house, and it's not anything great.

YogidAbEAR
05-09-2006, 01:13 AM
houses are dirt cheap in canada, my house is new(built 3 years ago) around 1750sq, in an upscale neighbourhood and it was around $160k. taxes are what gets you up here though

collegeguyjeff
05-09-2006, 03:34 AM
already read about this yesterday

ChiTownVike
05-09-2006, 04:00 AM
I bet it was Matt Millen

BradTheMan14
05-09-2006, 04:41 AM
i bet it was smooty