PDA

View Full Version : Vikings ready to dismiss Foley

briboy75
05-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Player personnel vice president's rocky tenure could end soon
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

The Vikings were attempting this afternoon to negotiate a contract settlement with personnel director Fran Foley in a move that would end Foley's rocky tenure with the team, according to three NFL sources with knowledge of the situation.
The circumstances leading to the decision were not immediately clear, and it was possible Foley could remain with the team if the sides are unable to settle the terms of a three-year contract he signed Jan. 21. Without question, however, the Vikings are seeking to part ways with Foley two days after he presided over the NFL draft and three months after he was hired to be part of owner Zygi Wilf's three-pronged leadership team, along with coach Brad Childress and vice president for football operations Rob Brzezinski.

Wilf did not return phone calls. Lester Bagley, vice president of public affairs and stadium development, declined comment on the situation when reached by phone Tuesday afternoon.

On April 21, Foley admitted that he had mischaracterized, on four occasions, his early work history on the résumé he submitted to the Vikings prior to his interview with team officials in January. Foley also exaggerated the extent of his college playing career at Framingham State College, asserting that he had played four seasons when in fact he had played only two.

Foley's logical replacement would be Scott Studwell, director of college scouting. Studwell was passed over for the job Foley eventually received, but is said to be content with his current job.

mnjamie
05-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Fran FRIGGIN' Foley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya, Don't let the DOOR hit ya in the A$$ !!!! Or your 4th chin ... never did like this guy coming and certainly dont like him on the way out ... have a nice future !!!!

SheyD11285
05-03-2006, 12:49 AM
get rid of this guy! I do not like him and he deserves the same fate as Leary if not worse

Property0f
05-03-2006, 12:50 AM
So....what did he do to get on Wilf's bad side?

Ltrey33
05-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Odd....

viks_fan21
05-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Well, what has he done wrong? In about a month he's lied about his playing career, pissed off the coaches, and overplayed for a backup caliber linebacker. Wow.

KY Vike
05-03-2006, 12:54 AM
The job will probably given to studwell, who should of had it in the first place

singersp
05-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I believe Foley was at the top of the triangle, meaning all his decisions over rule Childress' & Brzezinski's.

He probably had the final say in some draft day decisions that didn't sit well with the other two.

V-Unit
05-03-2006, 01:22 AM
I think it all had to do with the resume rather than draft day decisions. Either way I am happy he will be gone because STUDwell will replace him!

Property0f
05-03-2006, 01:22 AM
"viks_fan21" wrote:

Well, what has he done wrong? In about a month he's lied about his playing career, pissed off the coaches, and overplayed for a backup caliber linebacker. Wow.

I didnt know he pissed off the coaches...
O and doesnt Rob Brzezinski do the contract negotiations?

"On April 21, Foley admitted that he had mischaracterized, on four occasions, his early work history on the résumé he submitted to the Vikings prior to his interview with team officials in January. Foley also exaggerated the extent of his college playing career at Framingham State College, asserting that he had played four seasons when in fact he had played only two."

..I'll give you that one. Thats understandable.

slinkey
05-03-2006, 01:28 AM
great. Thank god we kept him around long enough to blow three picks!

singersp
05-03-2006, 01:31 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/triangle.jpg

LAVike
05-03-2006, 01:41 AM
God I hope this is true. Never liked the guy. I thought the Vikings "settled" with him, and kind of rushed into making him the guy. And then the resume . . . and then the draft. Please make my day, and fire his a$$!!

damien927
05-03-2006, 01:43 AM
that is impressive, he might be gone already! There has to be more "behind the scenes" stuff. Maybe they just realized that he is an idiot.

2beersTommy
"SheyD11285" wrote:

get rid of this guy! I do not like him and he deserves the same fate as Leary if not worse

agreed, anywhere else you falsify a resume you get $hit canned, why should this be any different ? :tool:

Deadly_Diabetic
Wow, I didn't know things had gotten this rocky. I will be interested to see what allegations come out as to why he is removed. It has to be more than simply "over-paying" for players....

I would think.

-DD

LAVike
05-03-2006, 01:47 AM
You know, legally, they should be able to can him over "misrepresentation". He submitted an inaccurate resume when he originally applied for the job. And it wasn't just one error . . . there were several. Time to bring down the hammer--isn't this organization all about "cleaning up its image"?

threepete21
05-03-2006, 02:51 AM
If they did fire himover his resume, why didn't they do it before the draft? good riddance.

marshallvike
05-03-2006, 02:58 AM
[The Vikings were attempting this afternoon to negotiate a contract settlement with personnel director Fran Foley in a move that would end Foley's rocky tenure with the team, according to three NFL sources with knowledge of the situation.
The circumstances leading to the decision were not immediately clear, and it was possible Foley could remain with the team if the sides are unable to settle the terms of a three-year contract he signed Jan. 21.] isn't bullsh!tting on your resume enough reason to fire someone? why does this have to be negotiated?

COJOMAY
05-03-2006, 03:02 AM
Seems to me I remember a lot of people here sticking up for him when the resume mistakes were made public. Many people here were saying, "everyone pads their resume. What's the big deal."
My how a couple of weeks changes things. I'm not defending the guy but attitudes sure change here in a hurry.

vikings_fan66
05-03-2006, 03:03 AM
I havent liked this clown from day one ..... for some reason hes seems sneaky and almost villian like.... good ridance

WinonaVike
05-03-2006, 03:08 AM
I guess Id like to see what he can do, its nto as if he has done a terrible job.

petrodemos
05-03-2006, 03:28 AM
"singersp" wrote:

I believe Foley was at the top of the triangle, meaning all his decisions over rule Childress' & Brzezinski's.

He probably had the final say in some draft day decisions that didn't sit well with the other two.

and if that were true, why would he have any say over the other two? with what experience? the experience he lied about? i dont know what it was about this guy, but everyone and their grandmother knew there was something fishy about this guy, the triangle is broken! the triangle is broken! lets get this circle of trust going! im so happy! :lol:

cajunvike
05-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Why couldn't they have fired him BEFORE the draft!!!!! :mad:

Even Tice would have done a better job with the draft than that clown!!!!!

singersp
05-03-2006, 03:34 AM
"petrodemos" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

and if that were true, why would he have any say over the other two? with what experience? the experience he lied about? i dont know what it was about this guy, but everyone and their grandmother knew there was something fishy about this guy, the triangle is broken! the triangle is broken! lets get this circle of trust going! im so happy! :lol:

Because he's at the top of the triangle & his decision is final. It's not vote by committee anymore.

aceclown
05-03-2006, 03:58 AM
from vikings.scout.com

Foley Appears to be Fired

By: Tim Yotter

Date: May 2, 2006

It appears the tenure of Vikings vice president of player personnel is coming to a quick conclusion.

Vikings vice president of player personnel Fran Foley is close to being done with his short-lived duties with the Minnesota Vikings, according to the Star Tribune. The Star Tribune is reporting that the Vikings were negotiating a buyout of his contract this afternoon. A league source told Viking Update early Tuesday evening that Foley had been fired.

A call from Viking Update to the Vikings wasn’t immediately returned.

Foley was hired on Jan. 26, 20 days after head coach Brad Childress was hired, and the two combined with vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski to become a three-headed decision-making crew when it came to player acquisitions.

Foley led the charge in this past weekend’s NFL draft, a flurry of activity that drew mixed reviews from draft analysts. The Vikings made two especially controversial decisions during the draft’s first day.

The team’s second of three second-round picks, New Mexico offensive lineman Ryan Cook, was generally considered a “reach” by most draft experts. Then, after not trading up to draft Vanderbilt’s Jay Cutler as the quarterback of the future in the first round, the team traded its two third-round picks to acquire the final pick in the second round and select Alabama State quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, a player many felt could have been drafted later without surrendering other picks in a trade.

But Foley also led what was considered a strong free-agent run fueled by a good salary-cap situation created by Brzezinski’s dealings in past roster moves.

At the Combine in February, Giants coach Tom Coughlin had strong reviews for the talents of Foley when asked about him by Viking Update.

Foley worked under Coughlin when the two were in Jacksonville, Coughlin as the head coach and Foley working in the personnel department from 1998-2002.

Previously Foley worked for Coughlin when they were at Boston College.

“He was the first guy I brought with me when I went to Jacksonville, which was about two weeks ahead of any of the coaches that I brought with me, so you know how important he was to me,” Coughlin told Viking Update. “He is very, very intelligent. He’s very well-organized. He’s an outstanding evaluator of talent. He’ll be a great asset to that organization.”

Coughlin also said Foley is versatile. Despite having more experience in pro personnel, Coughlin didn’t think the college side of scouting would suffer in Minnesota.

“He’s scouted on both levels (college and pro). If you know anything about that position of recruiting coordinator, you know that it’s a jack of all trades. He’s the liaison to everybody. He allows that you have great feelings toward the university about what you’re doing in the football office,” Coughlin said.

While Coughlin moved on to become head coach of the Giants, Foley moved to San Diego to work in its personnel department, where he was the director of pro scouting from 2003-2005 before joining the Vikings. Coughlin said there just wasn’t a position open at the top level of the Giants scouting department to bring Foley there.

“I would have loved to have been able to do that. Really, there was no position availability,” he said.

If Foley is indeed finished with the Vikings, his tenure will have lasted three months and six days.

shockzilla
05-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Good riddance!

enlvikeman
05-03-2006, 04:09 AM
From Mr Cheer or Die:

Purportedly, the Vikings had Oregon quarterback Kellen Clemens as their target in the second round. The Vikings erroneously assumed that Clemens would still be available when they selected at fifty-one. When the N.Y. Jets swung a deal with the Dallas Cowboys to move into the number forty-nine position to take Clemens, the Vikings' draft room imploded, with those who wanted to take Clemens at forty-eight (Studwell??) at odds with those who did not (Foley??).

FuadFan
05-03-2006, 04:15 AM
It makes no sense to fire him now if they wanted to it should have happend before draft day. I guess this will send a message to the players that there will be no mercy for anything at all.

t_13
05-03-2006, 04:17 AM
that mugsy guy should be all over this

petrodemos
05-03-2006, 04:18 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Seems to me I remember a lot of people here sticking up for him when the resume mistakes were made public. Many people here were saying, "everyone pads their resume. What's the big deal."
My how a couple of weeks changes things. I'm not defending the guy but attitudes sure change here in a hurry.

at first it seems like one mistake, then one lie after another lie came out, i believe there was one where he was suposedly a head coach assistant or something when he was only a waterboy on the team. the triangle simply didnt work out

4 days ago http://www.startribune.com/510/story/400798.html
A committee system, Wolf said, "doesn't work. It's nice to think that it works, but it doesn't."

aceclown
05-03-2006, 04:20 AM
I believe Caine made an excellent post on Foley, he was one of the few who took his lying seriously. Seems like Caine is always right

aceclown
05-03-2006, 04:24 AM
"FuadFan" wrote:

It makes no sense to fire him now if they wanted to it should have happend before draft day. I guess this will send a message to the players that there will be no mercy for anything at all.

Always remember that hinesight is 20/20. I believe they were in a way giving this guy a second chance after the resume fiasco to see if he would pan out. But apparently they were convinced that after giving him a chance at the draft that he isnt worth the risk. They were just seeing if he could overcome the controversy surrounding him, but apparently he couldnt.

Muggsy
05-03-2006, 04:25 AM
I hopes he's gone, and Studwell replaces him. He desoives it, y'know? I'm glad Studwell didn't get mad and leave da team when dey passed over him in favor of Fran Fooey, y'know?

I never liked da looks of da bum, y'know? And after da way da draft was fumbled, I'd like ta punch him on one of his chins!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/Brummbar/FranFoley-BOZO.jpg

VikesfaninWis
05-03-2006, 04:29 AM
There is a God... I'm joking everyone, I know there is a God, and he is great.. In my mind, Scott Studwell should have been given the job in the first place. Fran Foley is a liar, and a coniver.. We don't need a person tarnishing our reputation anymore. Get rid of his a$$, and get someone (STUDwell) in there that can do the job, and do it with class. Good riddance Foley, don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

kramer9guy
05-03-2006, 04:41 AM
I also believe Studwell should have gotten that job to begin with. At the time, I thought he was a shoe-in. I hope he now gets what he deserved back then.

VikesfaninWis
05-03-2006, 04:45 AM
Now I am confused.. The other thread that is now apart of this thread said " Why Fran was fired" Now was he actually fired? or is he on the verge of being fired?

petrodemos
05-03-2006, 04:50 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"petrodemos" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Because he's at the top of the triangle & his decision is final. It's not vote by committee anymore.

those were meant to be rhetorical questions. i believed the same thing, foley was to have the final say, and my point was the experience he lied about having put him in a position over much more experienced people in a particular field, and a point about the stupid triangle . the triangle of authority was almost as idiotic as the 40% proclamation by tice

VikesfaninWis
05-03-2006, 04:53 AM
"Muggsy" wrote:

I hopes he's gone, and Studwell replaces him. He desoives it, y'know? I'm glad Studwell didn't get mad and leave da team when dey passed over him in favor of Fran Fooey, y'know?

I never liked da looks of da bum, y'know? And after da way da draft was fumbled, I'd like ta punch him on one of his chins!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/Brummbar/FranFoley-BOZO.jpg

:lol: On one of his chins.. priceless..

Muggsy
05-03-2006, 05:15 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Now I am confused.. The other thread that is now apart of this thread said " Why Fran was fired" Now was he actually fired? or is he on the verge of being fired?

Dis is what I hoid from Cell Block "D"...
==================================================

Vikings vice president of player personnel Fran Foley is close to being done with his short-lived duties with the Minnesota Vikings, according to the Star Tribune. The Star Tribune is reporting that the Vikings were negotiating a buyout of his contract this afternoon. A league source told Viking Update early Tuesday evening that Foley had been fired.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/527199.html

==================================================

I was jus' tinkin'. If doin' a 'runningback-by-committee' is a questionable tactic, then ain't 'decision-making-by-committee' a bad idea, too? Dey outta have one guy <cough..Studwell...cough> to make da kinda decisions dat dis 'Tridangle of Authority' was makin', y'know?

Hah, I never liked Authority anyways, unless it was mine, y'know? :wink:

sodaknick
05-03-2006, 05:21 AM
Goooodbye... and... can we get a redo on that whole draft thing?

ItalianStallion
05-03-2006, 05:26 AM
WTF, why do hey decide to fire him two days AFTER the draft? Why not before...

VikesfaninWis
05-03-2006, 05:35 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

No sh!t.. I hear ya.. Now I don't like or dislike the picks we made, but the only real pick we did make was Chad Greenway.. When the Vikings saw Leinart, and Cutler slipping, they should have made an attempt to move up, and grab one of them. Now I know that would have required us passing on Greenway, but we really need our QB of the future, and I am not entirely sold on Tarvaris Jackson.. Can't change anything now, but at least the experts, and apparently Zygi Wilf is seeing this now..

Property0f
05-03-2006, 05:38 AM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

No sh!t.. I hear ya.. Now I don't like or dislike the picks we made, but the only real pick we did make was Chad Greenway.. When the Vikings saw Leinart, and Cutler slipping, they should have made an attempt to move up, and grab one of them. Now I know that would have required us passing on Greenway, but we really need our QB of the future, and I am not entirely sold on Tarvaris Jackson.. Can't change anything now, but at least the experts, and apparently Zygi Wilf is seeing this now..

I think the draft sent them over the edge and was the deciding factor to fire him.

And theres no telling if they didnt try to trade up for Leinart or Cutler. I read something recently that they tried to move up with buffalo but they didnt take it. It wasnt enough for them. You know the saying, sh!t happens.

VikesfaninWis
05-03-2006, 05:43 AM
"Property0f" wrote:

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"ItalianStallion" wrote:

I think the draft sent them over the edge and was the deciding factor to fire him.

And theres no telling if they didnt try to trade up for Leinart or Cutler. I read something recently that they tried to move up with buffalo but they didnt take it. It wasnt enough for them. You know the saying, sh!t happens.

Yeah, I heard that we tried to move up as well, but it obviously wasn't good enough.. Look at what the Bronco's gave up to draft Cutler, now we could have given up both of our 2nd rd picks to ST. Louis and we probably would be sitting here today with both Greenway, and Cutler as Vikings.. Instead we give up both of our 3rd rd picks to move up and grab a QB that will probably take alot longer to develop then Cutler would have..

Toro
05-03-2006, 05:45 AM
You have to be pretty dim to lie on your resume anyways. All it takes is a phone call to verify things.

Hope they promote Studwell.

CCthebest
05-03-2006, 05:47 AM
The sucky draft we had falls on Childress's as well as Foley. Dont give him all the blame.

Wish they had fired him befor draft and put Stud in charge

VikesfaninWis
05-03-2006, 05:50 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:

The sucky draft we had falls on Childress's as well as Foley. Dont give him all the blame.

Possibly, but Wilf already stated that if there was a problem picking a player, that the final decision would be Foley's.. Now we have no idea if that is what it came down to, so all we can do at this point is speculate.

thanatoschristou
05-03-2006, 05:53 AM
I hope they do not need to pay him his full contract. yes the Vikes should have checked his background, but he lied. That should be sufficient to fire the man without punishment. The draft was probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

olson_10
05-03-2006, 06:04 AM
this guy is a moron, dump him off right now..his contract should be instantly void due to his confession to lieing on his resume..what a loser..this guy doesnt deserve to ever find work in football ever again

norseforce
05-03-2006, 06:10 AM
CAN HIS BUTT! PROMOTE STUDWELL. foley is a clown. total lier, sucks at making the FINAL call for the draft,the turd should be stocking shelves at walmart after a draft like that

norseforce
05-03-2006, 06:21 AM
thats so bad! WHY DO WE EVEN HIRE THIS CLOWN ANYWAYS? he knows nothing about football, we HAD 5 PICKS in the top 100, and we end up with 1 solid player(greenway). it's time to put STUDWELL in charge he knows BALL.......

Deadly_Diabetic
05-03-2006, 06:27 AM
http://www.startribune.com/150/story/408072.html

"Jim Souhan" wrote:

Don't worry about Faux Fran Foley. Five years from now, his résumé will state that he was CEO of the Vikings in 2006, and that he found Matt Birk on a street corner and turned him into an All-Pro center.
Tuesday, the Vikings were working to reach a contract settlement with Foley, their vice president of player personnel, that would end his brief but always entertaining tenure with the team.

Thus the Triangle of Authority will become the Teeter-Totter of Tumult.

Don't worry about ol' Faux Fran, though. Soon, he and Al Gore will be arguing over which one of them invented the Internet.

Those few of us in the local sporting press who don't start the day with a large glass of purple Kool-Aid have been trying to tell Vikings fans that nothing about Foley smelled right.

And while the story today is that Foley is essentially being fired, understand the larger implications. Foley was recommended to Vikings owner Zygi Wilf by a committee of three -- capologist Rob Brzezinski, legal counsel Kevin Warren and coach Brad Childress.

Or, as we should call them now, See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil.

This is the Vikings' brain trust, and in a world full of promising young NFL executives, they chose Faux Fran as their guy, even though NFL insiders know Foley was a fifth-string poseur in the San Diego Chargers front office.

The "brain" trust failed to discover Foley lied on his résumé and overstated his influence in the front offices of the Chargers and Jaguars. They also failed to detect that his personality, if what we're hearing is true, would alienate just about everyone he spoke to.

The guy looked a little like Fred Flintstone, but he lacked Fred's savoir-faire.

The Vikings did well to essentially fire Foley, but why did they ever hire him?

Saturday night, Foley held a news conference at Winter Park to discuss the team's highly unimpressive draft. While addressing the selection of Alabama State quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, Foley said, "We're very pleased with everything that we have learned about the boy."

I was there, taking notes by hand, and wasn't sure I heard it correctly. The sentence did not appear that way on the team's transcripts of the news conference.

Tuesday, I listened to a recording, and there it was: "We're very pleased with everything that we have learned about the boy."

If Foley doesn't know how heinous it is to call a black man "boy," how did the Vikings search committee not encounter a few red flags while doing due diligence on someone who was to become a valued member of their Exalted Isosceles?

And what does this say about the other decisions the Vikings' "brain" trust has made?

With each passing day, this looks like an amateur operation, a place where Les Steckel would be king.

Wilf is a typical new NFL owner. Typical new owners don't know enough to know they don't know enough about the league, which is why they usually need an experienced general manager, not a rookie coach, to lean on.

I covered Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson in their first year in Dallas, and neither had any idea what they were doing. They learned to lean on two old hands -- personnel experts Bob Ackles and John Wooten -- and Jones and Johnson were both smart enough (Johnson in particular) to adapt quickly.

They won Super Bowls not because they were ready for the NFL, but because they compensated for their lack of experience.

Look at the Vikings' decision-makers. You've got Wilf, who knows football because he was a Giants season-ticket holder. You have Brzezinski, who knows contracts. You have Childress, who never has been a head coach.

You have a remarkably inexperienced coaching staff. You have Warren and your assorted Wilfs and Mandelbaums playing fantasy football with all of the other non-football experts at Winter Park.

Soon, though, there will be no Foley, and the Vikings will be rid of the most embarrassing figure to grace Winter Park since ... The Whizzinator?

When the subject is the Vikings, you don't have to go back too far to find an embarrassment.

I'm not sure that it is fair to criticize the entire operation because of one (although beit large) screw up. At least they had the decency to clean-up their mess as soon as they could (I assume they couldn't fire the personnell director one month before the draft). However, criticism is certainly deserved in the situation as whole. Let's hope that everyone learned their lesson in this afair and it can be "smooth sailing" from here.

-DD

jaymz7
05-03-2006, 06:44 AM
I will be glad when he is gone. The guy had no business being hired in the first place. With Studwell already there he should have been promoted.

magicci
05-03-2006, 07:36 AM
yes im happy now. i think this guy is a buffoon

Benet
05-03-2006, 07:41 AM
"ItalianStallion" wrote:

Bloody hell.. Isn't it obvious?!

If we dumped him BEFORE the draft, then he could be hired by an NFC North rival and they would have intimate knowledge of our draft plans and who we scouted, who we liked, who we wanted, and if we wanted to trade! GM's and Personnel Officers are NEVER dumped before the draft because of all the sensitive information they have knowledge of.

LAVike
05-03-2006, 10:43 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

Check my posts . . . Yikes! I never defended his a$$! Something was off about him from the beginning. I always felt like the administration settled when they picked him. Better that he's out now, than further on down the road. What damage is done, is done.

singersp
05-03-2006, 12:07 PM
"VikesfaninWis" wrote:

"CCthebest" wrote:

Possibly, but Wilf already stated that if there was a problem picking a player, that the final decision would be Foley's.. Now we have no idea if that is what it came down to, so all we can do at this point is speculate.

Purportedly, the Vikings had Oregon quarterback Kellen Clemens as their target in the second round. The Vikings erroneously assumed that Clemens would still be available when they selected at fifty-one. When the N.Y. Jets swung a deal with the Dallas Cowboys to move into the number forty-nine position to take Clemens, the Vikings' draft room imploded, with those who wanted to take Clemens at forty-eight (Studwell??) at odds with those who did not (Foley??).

singersp
05-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Posted on Wed, May. 03, 2006

Foley on the way out

Vikings' player personnel chief at odds with top brass, sources say

BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Although he signed a three-year contract in late January, Fran Foley's tenure with the Vikings appears as if it'll end after just three months.

The Vikings' vice president of player personnel is negotiating a buyout with the team after a tense meeting with owner Zygi Wilf on Monday, according to three sources close to the team. Foley packed up some of his belongings and wasn't at Winter Park on Tuesday evening.

Calls to Foley, Wilf and Kevin Warren, the Vikings' vice president of legal affairs, were not returned Tuesday. Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings' vice president of football operations, and coach Brad Childress also were not made available for comment.

Foley's short tenure has been marked by controversy.

Last month, Foley admitted to discrepancies in biographical information on his résumé, including the embellishment of titles in his college coaching jobs and the length of his college playing career. Behind the scenes at Winter Park, the sources said, Foley also had "disagreements" with other employees, including Childress.

Indications were that Foley's abrasive personality did not mesh with his peers.

Wilf saw this firsthand this past weekend, when Foley tried to hush people several times in the Vikings' draft war room.

Although the Vikings have been criticized by national analysts for some of their selections in the draft, Wilf said he was elated with his new players Sunday afternoon. He applauded the order and process in the war room. Foley told the Pioneer Press last week that college scouting director Scott Studwell was the go-to person during the draft because of his in-depth knowledge of the incoming rookie class. Studwell had experience running a war room. Neither Foley nor Childress had run a draft previously.

Since the ouster of coach Dennis Green in January 2002, the Vikings have struggled to fill their top player personnel position. Frank Gilliam briefly held that authority in 2002, but he was stripped of that responsibility after the Vikings had a tumultuous draft. The Vikings had a chance to select defensive tackle Ryan Sims as the Dallas Cowboys and Kansas City Chiefs worked out a trade. But the Vikings didn't get the pick in on time.

Although Bryant McKinnie has proven to be a better player than Sims, Gilliam's run in the post ended shortly thereafter.

Studwell and Jeff Robinson, the coordinator of pro personnel, are the in-house candidates to replace Foley, but Studwell is believed to be satisfied in his current job and wants to continue to travel and scout players.

There's a chance Foley's job could go unfilled. The Vikings could add a few other scouts and just name a pro personnel director, as they have done the past few seasons.

Foley was not the Vikings' first choice for the job. In January, Wilf pursued Philadelphia Eagles executive Tom Heckert. But Heckert instead was promoted by the Eagles to general manager.

The Vikings then interviewed Jacksonville pro personnel director Charlie Bailey; Ron Hill, the former vice president of player personnel for the Atlanta Falcons; Bill Kuharich, the Kansas City Chiefs' vice president of player personnel; and former Miami Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman.

Tom Dimitroff, the New England Patriots' director of college scouting, canceled a visit with the Vikings the night before his interview.

There is a chance Foley will remain with the Vikings if a buyout of his contract cannot be negotiated. Foley could have a tough time getting the full terms of his three-year deal because he signed the Vikings' new code of conduct.

In the meantime, the Vikings' other scouts, whose contracts expire this month, are being evaluated, and there could be other departures.

Sean Jensen can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

Foley on the way out (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14485493.htm?source=rss&channel=twincities_football)

Del Rio
05-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Scott Studwell should have been the man from day one, EVEN if Foley was completely honest.

Who gives a shit about Fran Foley?

singersp
05-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Studwell and Jeff Robinson, the coordinator of pro personnel, are the in-house candidates to replace Foley, but Studwell is believed to be satisfied in his current job and wants to continue to travel and scout players.

After reading that part of the article, I have changed my mind about Studwell replacing Foley.

Scott needs to remain doing what he does best, scouting & finding talent.

If he can't do both jobs, let him stay where he is.

Del Rio
05-03-2006, 01:12 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I defended him and I still would. Not because I like the guy, but because I believe the whole situation was blown up. Like I said then every team needs a scapegoat. I'm just surprised they are using that card this early on.

Like I said though the whole time I was defending him, who cares what happens to him. If the Vikings want him gone, kick him to the curb. I wont lose any sleep over it.

singersp
05-03-2006, 01:13 PM
From KFFL;

Vikings | Team trying to buy out Foley
Tue, 2 May 2006 21:02:01 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings personnel director Fran Foley met with owner Zygi Wilf Monday, May 1, to discuss a buyout of Foley's contract.

Foley signed a three-year contract and the team is hoping to avoid paying his entire deal, believed to be worth $1 million. According to sources, Foley's imminent departure is mostly a result of an exaggerated résumé and concerns about his management style.

Del Rio
05-03-2006, 01:15 PM
You have to feel good about the Vikings taking the side of Scott Studwell.

Hopefully it was just a judgment error on the part of Wilf and he has learned his leason to try and stay in house when possible.

Caine
05-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Waste of an article.

Sure, hiring Foley may have been a mistake, and sure, some of Zygi's moves have been a bit "iffy". But this guy almost seems to take pleasure in blasting the Vikes. Note the comment, "Those few of us in the local sporting press who don't start the day with a large glass of purple Kool-Aid..." Seems to me like someone couldn't wait to level an "I told you so". Too bad he has an audience.

I warned early on about Zygi trying to be too involved. I think we have now seen first hand why I felt that way. But, that doesn't mean I'm going to blast Zygi. He'll learn. It may take awhile, but he'll eventually figure it out (I hope).

Foley...well....we have yet to see any of our draft picks in the flesh, so it's hard to say how well he really did. I think he's being canned more for being abrasive than for being inept. While I'm not dancing in the streets with joy over our picks, I'm not throwing in the towel either. Who knows, we may wind up having the last laugh on the self-proclaimed experts.

I would very much like Zygi to bring in a GM. Someone with some REAL football saavy. Maybe someone like Jimmy Johnson. We need a guy who knows what to look for and how to prepare a team. Someone who has been in the trenches, and can make the next step.

Barring that, I offer my services to the Vikings, in exchange for a paltry salary and a luxury suite in the Metrodome. I am willing to commute, and promise to not lie on my resume. What they will get is a guy who will listen to both Childress and Studwell, seek out quality guys for our team, and give insider info to PP.O (And I'll even get Zygi to green light that).

After all, I can't do any worse than Foley did, can I?

Caine

singersp
05-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Jim Souhan: An amateur operation gets embarrassed

The Vikings are paying for an organization-wide dearth of experience -- from their new owner to their coaching staff -- but at least Fran Foley will be history.

Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
Last update: May 02, 2006 – 10:43 PM

Don't worry about Faux Fran Foley. Five years from now, his résumé will state that he was CEO of the Vikings in 2006, and that he found Matt Birk on a street corner and turned him into an All-Pro center.

Tuesday, the Vikings were working to reach a contract settlement with Foley, their vice president of player personnel, that would end his brief but always entertaining tenure with the team.

Don't worry about ol' Faux Fran, though. Soon, he and Al Gore will be arguing over which one of them invented the Internet.

Those few of us in the local sporting press who don't start the day with a large glass of purple Kool-Aid have been trying to tell Vikings fans that nothing about Foley smelled right.

And while the story today is that Foley is essentially being fired, understand the larger implications. Foley was recommended to Vikings owner Zygi Wilf by a committee of three -- capologist Rob Brzezinski, legal counsel Kevin Warren and coach Brad Childress.

This is the Vikings' brain trust, and in a world full of promising young NFL executives, they chose Faux Fran as their guy, even though NFL insiders know Foley was a fifth-string poseur in the San Diego Chargers front office.

The "brain" trust failed to discover Foley lied on his résumé and overstated his influence in the front offices of the Chargers and Jaguars. They also failed to detect that his personality, if what we're hearing is true, would alienate just about everyone he spoke to.

The guy looked a little like Fred Flintstone, but he lacked Fred's savoir-faire.

Saturday night, Foley held a news conference at Winter Park to discuss the team's highly unimpressive draft. While addressing the selection of Alabama State quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, Foley said, "We're very pleased with everything that we have learned about the boy."

I was there, taking notes by hand, and wasn't sure I heard it correctly. The sentence did not appear that way on the team's transcripts of the news conference.

Tuesday, I listened to a recording, and there it was: "We're very pleased with everything that we have learned about the boy."

If Foley doesn't know how heinous it is to call a black man "boy," how did the Vikings search committee not encounter a few red flags while doing due diligence on someone who was to become a valued member of their Exalted Isosceles?

And what does this say about the other decisions the Vikings' "brain" trust has made?

With each passing day, this looks like an amateur operation, a place where Les Steckel would be king.

Wilf is a typical new NFL owner. Typical new owners don't know enough to know they don't know enough about the league, which is why they usually need an experienced general manager, not a rookie coach, to lean on.

I covered Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson in their first year in Dallas, and neither had any idea what they were doing. They learned to lean on two old hands -- personnel experts Bob Ackles and John Wooten -- and Jones and Johnson were both smart enough (Johnson in particular) to adapt quickly.

They won Super Bowls not because they were ready for the NFL, but because they compensated for their lack of experience.

Look at the Vikings' decision-makers. You've got Wilf, who knows football because he was a Giants season-ticket holder. You have Brzezinski, who knows contracts. You have Childress, who never has been a head coach.

You have a remarkably inexperienced coaching staff. You have Warren and your assorted Wilfs and Mandelbaums playing fantasy football with all of the other non-football experts at Winter Park.

Soon, though, there will be no Foley, and the Vikings will be rid of the most embarrassing figure to grace Winter Park since ... The Whizzinator?

When the subject is the Vikings, you don't have to go back too far to find an embarrassment.

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on KSTP AM 1500. • jsouhan@startribune.com

Jim Souhan: An amateur operation gets embarrassed (http://www.startribune.com/150/story/408072.html)

Del Rio
05-03-2006, 01:53 PM
"Caine" wrote:

Waste of an article.

Sure, hiring Foley may have been a mistake, and sure, some of Zygi's moves have been a bit "iffy". But this guy almost seems to take pleasure in blasting the Vikes. Note the comment, "Those few of us in the local sporting press who don't start the day with a large glass of purple Kool-Aid..." Seems to me like someone couldn't wait to level an "I told you so". Too bad he has an audience.

I warned early on about Zygi trying to be too involved. I think we have now seen first hand why I felt that way. But, that doesn't mean I'm going to blast Zygi. He'll learn. It may take awhile, but he'll eventually figure it out (I hope).

Foley...well....we have yet to see any of our draft picks in the flesh, so it's hard to say how well he really did. I think he's being canned more for being abrasive than for being inept. While I'm not dancing in the streets with joy over our picks, I'm not throwing in the towel either. Who knows, we may wind up having the last laugh on the self-proclaimed experts.

I would very much like Zygi to bring in a GM. Someone with some REAL football saavy. Maybe someone like Jimmy Johnson. We need a guy who knows what to look for and how to prepare a team. Someone who has been in the trenches, and can make the next step.

Barring that, I offer my services to the Vikings, in exchange for a paltry salary and a luxury suite in the Metrodome. I am willing to commute, and promise to not lie on my resume. What they will get is a guy who will listen to both Childress and Studwell, seek out quality guys for our team, and give insider info to PP.O (And I'll even get Zygi to green light that).

After all, I can't do any worse than Foley did, can I?

Caine

I don't know, you said he was probably being pushed out due to being abrasive more then being inept. So how should I know if you can do any worse then him, when what he has done has yet to be seen.

I kid I kid. :grin:

Caine should be the owner IMO, and hook PPO up with some luxury tix.

Del Rio
05-03-2006, 01:58 PM
"singersp" wrote:

The Vikings are paying for an organization-wide dearth of experience -- from their new owner to their coaching staff -- but at least Fran Foley will be history.

Jim Souhan, Star Tribune
Last update: May 02, 2006 – 10:43 PM

Jim Souhan can be heard Sundays from 10 a.m.-noon on KSTP AM 1500. • jsouhan@startribune.com

Jim Souhan: An amateur operation gets embarrassed (http://www.startribune.com/150/story/408072.html)

I liked this article lol. I have to agree with alot of it. Except the part when the author makes a huge reach and tries to tie Fran Foley calling Tavaris Jackson "boy" into racism........

Tavaris Jackson is a boy compared to Foley.

The article hinted to my issues with the Foley Fiasco.....the bigger issue is not Foley lied, it is the people hiring him didn't see through his bullshit. Everyone makes mistakes though. Seems like they have seen thiers and are trying to correct them.

whackthepack
05-03-2006, 02:05 PM
The local news is reporting that Foley is fired this morning, I believe that he would not have been fired for the resume but for the way he screwed up the draft and pissed off Studwell and the other people in the personnel dept.

DoubleDown11
05-03-2006, 02:25 PM
I guess we know what Wilf thought of the Vikings Draft! Good-bye and good riddance.
I sure wish my job would buy me out after I do a terrible job!

mnjamie
05-03-2006, 03:18 PM
POSTED 10:04 p.m. EDT, May 2, 2006

SPIELMAN GETTING LOOKS FROM VIKES, RAMS

Word around the league is that former Dolphins G.M. Rick Spielman's name has come up in connection with openings in the Minnesota and St. Louis front offices.

In Minnesota, Spielman could replace Fran Foley, who is in the process of getting bumped out. In St. Louis, Spielman could replace G.M. Charley Armey, whose position we also hear is in jeopardy.

An obvious candidate for the Minnesota job is Scott Studwell, the team's director of college scouting.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

This would be AWESOME !!! Spielman is a stud who has been around the block TWICE and has a proven track record. That's if Studwell truely doesn't want the job and wants to remain in the postion he's already in.

Pay The Man Wilfi and GET IT DONE !!!!!!

snowinapril
05-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Is this the same Spielman that is on ESPN's NFL live?

As far as Foley, if you wanted to fire him because of his resume, why would you let him run the draft for you. If he was that incompetent someone should have got rid of him before the draft.

Prophet
05-03-2006, 03:42 PM

Don't worry about Faux Fran Foley. Five years from now, his résumé will state that he was CEO of the Vikings in 2006, and that he found Matt Birk on a street corner and turned him into an All-Pro center...

...Don't worry about ol' Faux Fran, though. Soon, he and Al Gore will be arguing over which one of them invented the Internet...

:lol:

Foley was recommended to Vikings owner Zygi Wilf by a committee of three -- capologist Rob Brzezinski, legal counsel Kevin Warren and coach Brad Childress.

Maybe Rob 'Poison Pill' Brzezinski should stick to writing contracts and use the same scrutiny in reviewing CVs as he does in developing those contracts.

http://bolttalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/stf_fran_foley.jpghttp://www.visittex.com/images/57.jpg

I guess there is some resemblance.

Funny stuff, totally disagree with it though. The current coach and owner are orders of magnitude better then Redneck and Meathead. Sure, Childress hasn't even coached a game yet, but he does at least have the potential to think. Zygi has forked over the coin in everything from who manages the turf to player acquisitions to getting the stadium as a priority. Les Steckel, that is funny shit.

Wilf is not stupid. He made a mistake and learned. I'm not particularly fond of him hiring relatives or the perceived heavy-hand he has in daily operations. He will do whatever it takes to bring a championship team to MN. If that means hiring an experienced GM, he will. He's not afraid to spend the money and he wants a new stadium so he won't be losing money on the franchise. A billionaire doesn't become a billionaire on his own, they are masters of delegating duties to people that are competent enough to get the job done. Foley slipped under the radar. I'm sure Zygi will be looking through future CVs with a fine-toothed comb.

I would say that's a good point....kind of. Most owners don't know shit about the game, so that's nothing new. Poison Pill does his job well. Childress worked his way up through the ranks and has a solid foundation. Adding more beauracracy to the organization isn't necessarily the best solution. The whole idea of the 'triangle of authority' is an admission that they need to help each other out. If they need more people to help they will hire more.

whackthepack
05-03-2006, 04:25 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

As far as Foley, if you wanted to fire him because of his resume, why would you let him run the draft for you. If he was that incompetent someone should have got rid of him before the draft.

Can't fire him before the draft because he has to much knowledge of who the Vikes are targeting, he could go to any team and tell them or do it on TV interviews.

They should have gotten to the war room in the morning and tied him to a chair with a gag in his mouth and left him there until after the draft was over.

tastywaves
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

Can't fire him before the draft because he has to much knowledge of who the Vikes are targeting, he could go to any team and tell them or do it on TV interviews.

They should have gotten to the war room in the morning and tied him to a chair with a gag in him mouth and left him there until after the draft was over.

Agreed if he was already on the outs why did he have such a say on the draft picks. I understand him not being fired, but that doesn't mean you have to listen to him. He was also the mouth of a few of the picks too, which I don't understand if they already wanted this guy gone. Seems like its more related to character issues than competency. Abrasive, took shots at Wilf or somebody else in the org., more shit came out on him that he failed to divulge.........

cajunvike
05-03-2006, 04:31 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

They should have gotten to the war room in the morning and tied him to a chair with a gag in him mouth and left him there until after the draft was over.

:sign5:

petrodemos
05-03-2006, 04:35 PM
argument on draft day:
Studwell: "Hodge"
Childress: "Arvaris"
Studwell: "Hodge most likely will start this season"
Childress: "weve already taken 2 defensive players, i want a quarterback"
Studwell: "Jackson doesnt warrant a 2nd rnd draft pick, hes most likely going to be available later in the draft, lets get hodge"
Childress:"i still want Jackson"
Studwell: "Hodge could be the next Ray lewis!"
Childress: " hey were is fat Foley at?"
Studwell: "i dont know"
Foley: "hey guys, i wasnt listening, i just put the card in to draft Cook as our center, hes going to be awesome"
C&S at the same time:"what the hell Foley"
Childress:"oh screw this" makes call to another part of the triangle Brezsinski
C:"this guy gatsto go" B:"sure thing, he getting on my nerves too"
C&B:"yo wilf where you at? Foley got to go"
Wilf:" 2 to 1, i suppose so."

now that foley is gone do we have to look at LB Leber's ability? didnt foley bring him in here?

Prophet
05-03-2006, 04:40 PM
"petrodemos" wrote:

argument on draft day:
Studwell: "Hodge"
Childress: "Arvaris"
Studwell: "Hodge most likely will start this season"
Childress: "weve already taken 2 defensive players, i want a quarterback"
Studwell: "Jackson doesnt warrant a 2nd rnd draft pick, hes most likely going to be available later in the draft, lets get hodge"
Childress:"i still want Jackson"
Studwell: "Hodge could be the next Ray lewis!"
Childress: " hey were is fat Foley at?"
Studwell: "i dont know"
Foley: "hey guys, i wasnt listening, i just put the card in to draft Cook as our center, hes going to be awesome"
C&S at the same time:"what the hell Foley"
Childress:"oh screw this" makes call to another part of the triangle Brezsinski
C:"this guy gatsto go" B:"sure thing, he getting on my nerves too"
C&B:"yo wilf where you at? Foley got to go"
Wilf:" 2 to 1, i suppose so."

now that foley is gone do we have to look at LB Leber's ability? didnt foley bring him in here?

:lol: , I knew someone had the place tapped. Everyone should be under scrutiny at all times. Otherwise you get an Aaron Brooks-type player that gets the green light no matter how they perform. Keep the positions competitive.

VikesfaninWis
05-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Foley on the way out
BY SEAN JENSEN

Although he signed a three-year contract in late January, Fran Foley's tenure with the Vikings appears as if it'll end after just three months.

The Vikings' vice president of player personnel is negotiating a buyout with the team after a tense meeting with owner Zygi Wilf on Monday, according to three sources close to the team. Foley packed up some of his belongings and wasn't at Winter Park on Tuesday evening.

Calls to Foley, Wilf and Kevin Warren, the Vikings' vice president of legal affairs, were not returned Tuesday. Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings' vice president of football operations, and coach Brad Childress also were not made available for comment.

Foley's short tenure has been marked by controversy.

Last month, Foley admitted to discrepancies in biographical information on his résumé, including the embellishment of titles in his college coaching jobs and the length of his college playing career. Behind the scenes at Winter Park, the sources said, Foley also had "disagreements" with other employees, including Childress.

Indications were that Foley's abrasive personality did not mesh with his peers.

Wilf saw this firsthand this past weekend, when Foley tried to hush people several times in the Vikings' draft war room.

Although the Vikings have been criticized by national analysts for some of their selections in the draft, Wilf said he was elated with his new players Sunday afternoon. He applauded the order and process in the war room. Foley told the Pioneer Press last week that college scouting director Scott Studwell was the go-to person during the draft because of his in-depth knowledge of the incoming rookie class. Studwell had experience running a war room. Neither Foley nor Childress had run a draft previously.

Since the ouster of coach Dennis Green in January 2002, the Vikings have struggled to fill their top player personnel position. Frank Gilliam briefly held that authority in 2002, but he was stripped of that responsibility after the Vikings had a tumultuous draft. The Vikings had a chance to select defensive tackle Ryan Sims as the Dallas Cowboys and Kansas City Chiefs worked out a trade. But the Vikings didn't get the pick in on time.

Although Bryant McKinnie has proven to be a better player than Sims, Gilliam's run in the post ended shortly thereafter.

There's a chance Foley's job could go unfilled. The Vikings could add a few other scouts and just name a pro personnel director, as they have done the past few seasons.

Foley was not the Vikings' first choice for the job. In January, Wilf pursued Philadelphia Eagles executive Tom Heckert. But Heckert instead was promoted by the Eagles to general manager.

The Vikings then interviewed Jacksonville pro personnel director Charlie Bailey; Ron Hill, the former vice president of player personnel for the Atlanta Falcons; Bill Kuharich, the Kansas City Chiefs' vice president of player personnel; and former Miami Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman.

Tom Dimitroff, the New England Patriots' director of college scouting, canceled a visit with the Vikings the night before his interview.

There is a chance Foley will remain with the Vikings if a buyout of his contract cannot be negotiated. Foley could have a tough time getting the full terms of his three-year deal because he signed the Vikings' new code of conduct.

In the meantime, the Vikings' other scouts, whose contracts expire this month, are being evaluated, and there could be other departures.

Sean Jensen can be reached at sjensen@pioneerpress.com.

Foley on the way out (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/14485493.htm)

DCPologirl
05-03-2006, 05:04 PM
buh bye :thebirdman: :munky2:

snowinapril
05-03-2006, 05:10 PM
ANYONE remember how fast they hired Foley. They missed out on the Eagles guy and headed straight for Foley.

KNEE JERK for the JERK!

We praised them for making the decision and getting on top of it, but maybe they should have done a background check on Foley, atleast verified his resume. They probably assumed that if the Chargers hired him, his resume was good already.

I put this one back on Wilf.

Hopefully they did the right thing by hiring Childress.

Anyone remember the My Cousin Vinny scene when they take the competent lawyer into the trial and then when he gets infront of the court, he studders to beat hell. Well that is how I am picturing our situtation right now.

snowinapril
05-03-2006, 05:16 PM
"whackthepack" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

GOOD POINT!

I guess if you can't trust the guy to put together a truthful resume, then you can't trust him to keep his mouth shut.

snowinapril
05-03-2006, 05:25 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

I defended him and I still would. Not because I like the guy, but because I believe the whole situation was blown up. Like I said then every team needs a scapegoat. I'm just surprised they are using that card this early on.

Like I said though the whole time I was defending him, who cares what happens to him. If the Vikings want him gone, kick him to the curb. I wont lose any sleep over it.

Del, I was thinking something similar. Sometimes I wonder if they knew from the beginning about the Resume. Hired him anyway. Now when they want to get rid of him, they leak it to the press as "he is a liar." Now we have no choice but to let him go.

Let's just say they wanted him gone and they let him go. The press and the fans would have been saying "WHY?" The way it was done, talking about it for a week in the press, put him up for slaughter to the public scrutiny and they were calling for his head before the VIKES were.

His Resume should have been verified in the first place!

Benet
05-03-2006, 05:27 PM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

I'd like to bring the Court's attention to Exhibit A (http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=379809#379809). This is Benet's views on Fran Foley as expressed in the "Fran Foley.. LIAR" thread dating back to April 23rd 2006:

"Sorry to say it Fuad, but it was his CV. Now I'm all for embellishing your CV, everybody does it.. But Foley flat-out lied. ... Despite all that.. I love the Vikes and hope I'm talking bull. I hope that I'm proved COMPLETELY wrong and Fran helps the Vikes have a GREAT draft. Sadly though, I'm starting to have doubts."

Just to let you know I never changed my opinion of Foley, I always doubted him!

Del Rio
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

Del, I was thinking something similar. Sometimes I wonder if they knew from the beginning about the Resume. Hired him anyway. Now when they want to get rid of him, they leak it to the press as "he is a liar." Now we have no choice but to let him go.

Let's just say they wanted him gone and they let him go. The press and the fans would have been saying "WHY?" The way it was done, talking about it for a week in the press, put him up for slaughter to the public scrutiny and they were calling for his head before the VIKES were.

His Resume should have been verified in the first place!

I like to think they knew about his resume. Because if they didn't that reflects even more poorly on the organization then if they did.

You gotta have a fall guy. Get rid of Culpepper.....not our fault blame it on Foley....bad draft....not our fault blame it on Foley......

They haven't said this, but that seems to be the perception of fans, and as far as fans go their reaction can be predicted and manipulated. As fingers point they always focus on someone, it doesn't hurt to hang out with ugly people so you look better.

Fran Foley is the ugly step child. The get out of F***ville free card. If he isn't WHAT exactly does that say about our new ownership and administration? THAT is what we should be worried about. If he wasn't an intentional pawn in a bigger picture the your favorite football team just hired a guy who "lied" (if you believe that) on his resume, has no experience in his job, and is boisterous and ignorant to the media......you gave him so much power you lost a QB, and had a "poor" draft if you believe that.......now if they hired him as a pawn...who cares. If they fooked up this bad on their own however by not paying attention THEN I am scared.

What day is kickoff? I mean what day is it that real football starts and all this administration..contract....scandal....bullshit stops?

nfl-forums
05-03-2006, 05:58 PM
I said it before when I expressed some concerns about the Vikings upcoming season, and I'll say it again:

Anytime you give something a nickname like 'triangle of authority' in the hopes that it will be some insightful, great new way of running a team, you are likely going to get bit in the *ss.

I was never a fan of Foley - always thought that he was an odd duck in the Vikings. I'd like to see Studwell promoted to this position and a true heirarchy within the Vikings rather than decisions coming from some geometric shape of authority.

Benet
05-03-2006, 05:59 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

I like to think they knew about his resume. Because if they didn't that reflects even more poorly on the organization then if they did.

You gotta have a fall guy. Get rid of Culpepper.....not our fault blame it on Foley....bad draft....not our fault blame it on Foley......

They haven't said this, but that seems to be the perception of fans, and as far as fans go their reaction can be predicted and manipulated. As fingers point they always focus on someone, it doesn't hurt to hang out with ugly people so you look better.

Fran Foley is the ugly step child. The get out of F***ville free card. If he isn't WHAT exactly does that say about our new ownership and administration? THAT is what we should be worried about. If he wasn't an intentional pawn in a bigger picture the your favorite football team just hired a guy who "lied" (if you believe that) on his resume, has no experience in his job, and is boisterous and ignorant to the media......you gave him so much power you lost a QB, and had a "poor" draft if you believe that.......now if they hired him as a pawn...who cares. If they fooked up this bad on their own however by not paying attention THEN I am scared.

What day is kickoff? I mean what day is it that real football starts and all this administration..contract....scandal....kaka del toro stops?

You're reaching a bit there, Del. I've been reading all these Foley-centric threads and you're the first guy to mention the Culpepper trade in relation to it. I don't even remember any of the press articles copied-and-pasted into these threads mentioning the Culpepper trade in the latest round of Foley-bashing. Almost everyone (DaunteHOF notwithstanding :grin:) has accepted that Culpepper had to go, regardless who pulled the trigger, and remember, the Vikes got what they wanted (a 2nd round pick) for him!

Fact of the matter, Foley's gone. If not in the next few days, then he'll most likely be given a smaller role in the organisation with little-or-no power..

As I said in another thread: there was another option regarding Foley pre-draft. The Vikes could have shoved him out on "Gardening Leave". The problem with that is you need the guy you're firing to sign an agreement that means he will not take up another post at another club for a fixed period of time (usually 6 months) in return for a pay-off of some kind. Now seeing as the Vikes are negotiating Foley's pay-off anyway, surely someone could have thought of sending Foley out to tend to his rose garden before the draft and save everyone his "abrasive" attitude in the War Room?

After reading about what happened after Clemens got picked, I can just imagine someone like Brzezinski or Zygi Wilf trying to stop everyone shouting at each other:

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here.. This is the War Room!

Points to the first person to respond with the correct movie from which that quote comes from!

snowinapril
05-03-2006, 06:19 PM
"Benet" wrote:

You're reaching a bit there, Del. I've been reading all these Foley-centric threads and you're the first guy to mention the Culpepper trade in relation to it. I don't even remember any of the press articles copied-and-pasted into these threads mentioning the Culpepper trade in the latest round of Foley-bashing. Almost everyone (DaunteHOF notwithstanding :grin:) has accepted that Culpepper had to go, regardless who pulled the trigger, and remember, the Vikes got what they wanted (a 2nd round pick) for him!

Fact of the matter, Foley's gone. If not in the next few days, then he'll most likely be given a smaller role in the organisation with little-or-no power..

As I said in another thread: there was another option regarding Foley pre-draft. The Vikes could have shoved him out on "Gardening Leave". The problem with that is you need the guy you're firing to sign an agreement that means he will not take up another post at another club for a fixed period of time (usually 6 months) in return for a pay-off of some kind. Now seeing as the Vikes are negotiating Foley's pay-off anyway, surely someone could have thought of sending Foley out to tend to his rose garden before the draft and save everyone his "abrasive" attitude in the War Room?

After reading about what happened after Clemens got picked, I can just imagine someone like Brzezinski or Zygi Wilf trying to stop everyone shouting at each other:

Points to the first person to respond with the correct movie from which that quote comes from!

Good post Bennet, but I understand where Del is coming from here about DC. The thought crossed my mind also. I don't think it is reaching or far fetched, it is just foresight. The press hasn't said it yet, but if there is any problems at QB this season, IT will be mentioned. Now all they have to do is look over their shoulder and point to Fat-Bass-Turd in the rearview mirror. Remember the guy we let go, it was his fault. As long as DC keeps his mouth shut and doesn't pin this on any one person in the Vikings Org the story will fly.

IMHO, I personally think that the DC conflict was head-butting between Childress and DC.

Somewhere, down the road, someone in the present Org will have to take some responsibility in this matter of HIRING FOLEY then let him go.

If you say he lied, then you are saying we messed up and hired him, the lie was in front of us.
If you say he messed up the draft, then you are saying we messed up in letting him in the draft room.

Del Rio
05-03-2006, 06:25 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Benet" wrote:

Good post Bennet, but I understand where Del is coming from here about DC. The thought crossed my mind also. I don't think it is reaching or far fetched, it is just foresight. The press hasn't said it yet, but if there is any problems at QB this season, IT will be mentioned. Now all they have to do is look over their shoulder and point to Fat-Bass-Turd in the rearview mirror. Remember the guy we let go, it was his fault. As long as DC keeps his mouth shut and doesn't pin this on any one person in the Vikings Org the story will fly.

IMHO, I personally think that the DC conflict was head-butting between Childress and DC.

Somewhere, down the road, someone in the present Org will have to take some responsibility in this matter of HIRING FOLEY then let him go.

If you say he lied, then you are saying we messed up and hired him, the lie was in front of us.
If you say he messed up the draft, then you are saying we messed up in letting him in the draft room.

Exactly.

For the record I have heard numerous people here blame Foley for the Culpepper departure. Because he was a vocal point for the Triangle of Tard.

I have to believe if we run into speed bumps down the road at QB you will be hearing the name Fran Foley, make no mistake about that.

VKG4LFE
05-03-2006, 06:29 PM
This is just wonderful. When are we going to stop being the laughingstocks of the front office.....well I guess there is always Matt Millen!

ultravikingfan
05-03-2006, 06:31 PM
So, with one of the legs of the TOA gone....is it now just the LOA (line of authority)? Because 2 points make a line?

Del Rio
05-03-2006, 06:35 PM
"Thus the Triangle of Authority will become the Teeter-Totter of Tumult"

I like the authors description. lol

Lets not forget the media has a reason to hate Foley as well. He was the mouthpiece of the Vikings and was constantly defending the NO MEDIA approach. The no news leaves winter park approach that had the media scrambling and angry.

Brad Childress continued to talk. Foley continued to clam up and try to force the new media approach on the local reporters.

The whole thing stinks imo.

snowinapril
05-03-2006, 06:43 PM
No one commented on my comment that we rushed into the hire of Fat-Bass-Turd instead of interviewing more candidates.

Fear of Loss gets you know where, it makes people do stupid things.

badbois
05-03-2006, 06:47 PM
I just hope they get some stability. even if they don't hire anyone else, I think they will be better off without this clown.

singersp
05-03-2006, 06:55 PM
"Del Rio" wrote:

Lets not forget the media has a reason to hate Foley as well. He was the mouthpiece of the Vikings and was constantly defending the NO MEDIA approach. The no news leaves winter park approach that had the media scrambling and angry.

Brad Childress continued to talk. Foley continued to clam up and try to force the new media approach on the local reporters.

Perhaps Foley clammed up because he didn't want the media questioning him on his falsified resume. :wink:

Del Rio
05-03-2006, 06:55 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

No one commented on my comment that we rushed into the hire of Fat-Bass-Turd instead of interviewing more candidates.

That's pretty much what I base my hopes on lol. I hope they knew they were hiring a fall guy for some dirty work. Otherwise it's all on them IMO.

~Tin foil hat rant~
Wilf needs to do something to get on the good side of the Minnesota Vikijngs stadium panel. Something big. He wants to get rid of Culpepper. He interview coaches and Childress says he can manage without Culpepper.

This is going to cause some issues with fans so you need a fall guy. They read up on Foley notice he is dirty, ugly, and unqualified...... they focus the blame on Culpepper. Some fans buy it some do not, the fans are split on the decision.

They allow the illspoken Foley to be the mouthpiece of the Vikings. Reports are leaked he is labeled a liar. The draft we landed a LB. Made some seriously questionable drafts that confuse upset the fans. All fans reunite again in anger.

Foley is offered for sacrafice, fans are appeased.

Wilf is happy he gets a stadium, fans forget what they were mad at we can move on.........life is good.

~remove tin foil hat~

Option B: Someone fooked up and hired an asshat without checking for credentials, and fooked up even more when they gave him as much power as they did.

SERIOUSLY, why would someone so new have that much say in anything we did?

He either didn't really and was a pawm.
Or
Our admin is retarded.

Benet
05-03-2006, 06:57 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

I did in another thread somewhere AAAAGES ago.. But you're right. After Tom Heckert re-upped to become GM (in name only) with the Eagles, the Vikes had no Plan B and grabbed the first guy they could find.

Del Rio
05-03-2006, 06:57 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:

Perhaps Foley clammed up because he didn't want the media questioning him on his falsified resume. :wink:

How is that possible?
Because as he clammed up he credited it to the entire organization. The official policy of the Vikings is no news out of Winter Park. No one would question him on that?

If he himself were tight lipped maybe but he credited it to the team as a whole.

VikesfaninWis
05-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Viking's dump Vice President of Player Personnel
Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune

Last update: May 03, 2006 – 12:54 PM

The Vikings today announced the termination of Fran Foley, vice president of player personnel.
According to the press release, "The Minnesota Vikings have terminated the employment contract of Vice President of Player Personnel Fran Foley."

It is believed Foley and the Vikings reached a buyout settlement on the three-year contract that Foley signed Jan. 26, but no team official was immediately available for comment. Owner Zygi Wilf met Monday night with Foley, whose tenure was rocked by the discovery of an embellished resume as well as multiple accounts of a brash management style at Winter Park.

The Vikings spent much of Tuesday negotiating a contract settlement with Foley.

Four NFL sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed the team decided late Monday to part ways with Foley, a day after he presided over a draft that has been widely criticized for several risky moves in the second round. But according to the sources, Foley's demise was more attributable to an exaggerated résumé -- which he revised April 21 after admitting four embellishments of his early work history -- and concerns about his management style at Winter Park.

At the Monday night meeting with Foley and owner Zygi Wilf, the sides commenced buyout discussions. Foley signed a three-year contract Jan. 21, and the Vikings were hoping to avoid paying the entirety of the deal, believed to be worth $1 million.

Wilf did not return phone calls Tuesday, and Lester Bagley, vice president of public affairs and stadium development, said the organization would have no comment. Mark Wilf, president and limited partner, referred questions to Zygi Wilf. Foley could not be reached for comment.

Foley's departure closes a bizarre chapter in the Vikings' long and winding history. Wilf created the job after Commissioner Paul Tagliabue recommended he seek out an experienced NFL executive to beef up the personnel department.

The Vikings' first choice, Philadelphia executive Tom Heckert, turned down their offer Jan. 2 when the Eagles promoted him to general manager.

Foley, who had spent a total of 12 seasons in the front offices of San Diego (2003-05) and Jacksonville (1994-2002), emerged as a consensus choice after a search committee interviewed at least seven candidates for the job.

The search committee included coach Brad Childress, Rob Brzezinski, the team's vice president of football operations, and Kevin Warren, vice president of operations/legal counsel.

Wilf signed off on their recommendation, and Foley was hired Jan. 26 as vice president of player personnel.

In that role, Foley was to supervise both the college and pro scouting departments as part of a leadership triumvirate with Childress and Brzezinski. But sources say Foley's brash management style caused considerable tension within the organization and left the personnel department in disarray as the draft ended Sunday.

Career distortions

Meanwhile, Foley acknowledged on two separate occasions that he had misrepresented parts of his career -- in his media biography and on the résumé he submitted to Wilf during the interview process.

Foley first admitted that he had played two seasons at Division III Framingham (Mass.) State College, not the full four seasons as stated in his media biography.

Four days later, Foley revised the entire biography when media inquiries found he had embellished his job titles at Colgate (1984), The Citadel (1985) and Rutgers (1986). In each case, Foley implied that he had been a full-time position coach when, in reality, he had served as the equivalent of a graduate assistant.

Also, a Rutgers official said Foley was not the director of football operations and recruiting coordinator, as he listed on his résumé, but rather an administrative assistant from 1987-90.

It was unclear Tuesday how the Vikings will move forward. The contracts of all members of their personnel department expire May 31. Scott Studwell is expected to remain director of college scouting and could be a candidate for Foley's job, if Wilf decides to fill it.

Jeff Robinson -- who has been working with Paul Wiggin, Frank Acevedo and Ryan Monnens to coordinate the pro personnel department -- could be a candidate for promotion as well.

Viking's dump Vice President of Player Personnel (http://www.startribune.com/510/story/407582.html)

2beersTommy
05-03-2006, 08:08 PM
That be nice if Studwell got it

LAVike
05-03-2006, 08:19 PM
They needed a scapegoat for a poor draft . . . that was Foley. Bye-Bye!

Not a bad gig for him. Works a couple months, picks up a check for at least 300k (buyout). Too bad he'll never find another job in the NFL . . . unless it's as the Vice President of Custodial Engineering! Yes, you know he'd make his job as a janitor sound glamorous on his resume, too!

Benet
05-03-2006, 08:26 PM
"LAVike" wrote:

They needed a scapegoat for a poor draft . . . that was Foley.

I think that's only part of it.. To get Foley out the door and take any criticism of what happened in the draft with him is only a positive side-effect of dumping him because he lied on his résumé and was (by all accounts) a bit of a wanker to work with.

Big C
05-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Bye bye ass-wipe. Glad you're gone.

Studwell and Tice managed 3 or 4 pretty decent/good drafts. Childress doesn't strike me to be an an idiot. That leaves ass-wipe foley to pin a VERY poor draft on.

LAVike
05-03-2006, 08:30 PM
I like the Ron Wolf comment I wrote about before the draft. Committee approaches DO NOT WORK!! It's nice to pretend to have a democratic stance on decision making, but ultimately someone's feelings get hurt. I wish the Vikes had an experienced GM to lay down the law. Although it'd be difficult now with the way Childress is constructing his team . . . I have a feeling he's the one laying down the law around Winter Park. That's lot of responsibilities and power for a first year coach . . . it's a gamble . . . make me proud, Brad, make me proud! (and don't f@%k it up!)

cajunvike
05-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Updated: May 3, 2006, 2:30 PM ET
Foley had been with team since January
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Fran Foley, the Minnesota Vikings' vice president of player personnel, was fired by the team on Wednesday after acknowledging there were inaccuracies on the resume he presented to the team when he was hired in January.

The Vikings made the announcement in a one sentence statement.

Foley had signed a three-year contract with Minnesota, coming over from the San Diego Chargers. But he admitted to several inaccuracies on the resume he provided the team, including his early work history and exaggerating his playing career at Framingham State College.

Foley was part of a three-way executive structure that included coach Brad Childress and vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski. He had just finished helping direct the team's draft.

On a resume given to the Vikings, Foley said that he held coaching positions with the Citadel, Rutgers and Colgate when he was actually a graduate assistant at all three schools.

He also said that he played four seasons at Framingham State, when he only played two.

triedandtruevikesfan
05-03-2006, 08:40 PM
He said we got great draft picks and is secretly laughing behind our backs.

MightyVikes12391
05-03-2006, 08:40 PM
NANANANA NANANANA HEY HEY HEY GOODBYE

MightyVikes12391
05-03-2006, 08:41 PM
HES AN IDIOT

midgensa
05-03-2006, 08:45 PM
This whole thing is completely retarded ... Foley was asked to do a job that is probably out of his ability range ... the team is taking heat for a questionable draft ... and he is getting a lot of the blame as if he was the only one making decisions on Saturday and Sunday.
I am not a Foley fan by no means ... but he is just being made a scapegoat to shut people up that are whining about the draft and personel decisions ... I have a feeling Childress had as much to do with everything that has happened for this team in the last couple of months ... but can't hang him out to fry ... so Foley and his lying ass on his resume fits the bill .... lets hope Wilf cleans this up and starts back moving in the right direction.

DaScRuM
05-03-2006, 08:46 PM
Geez, just do it----------give Scott Studwell the job-------like you should have done in the first place. :oops:

Benet
05-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Right.. Now to put that story to bed, quietly hire someone else, probably someone capable ALREADY INSIDE the Vikings, and get on with new beginnings.

cajunvike
05-03-2006, 09:00 PM
I say we TAR AND FEATHER his sorry A$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cajunvike
05-03-2006, 09:20 PM
He is probably gonna say that he was the CEO of the Vikings on his next interview! :lol:

VKG4LFE
05-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Now introducing....Scott Studwell as the new GM of the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!

DaunteHOF
05-03-2006, 10:55 PM
well hes gone now

skum
05-03-2006, 10:59 PM
See u Frank.. dont mess with the Wilf :)

Guess we will have to find a new one..

vikes2456
05-03-2006, 11:46 PM
anyone watching espn a second go, they were grilling wilf about firing foley, saying its scandal after scandal after scandal, to bad most of it zygi inherited

cajunvike
05-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Kornholer SUCKS!!! Someone needs to tell him it's time to lose the combover...he only has about 8 hairs left to combover anyway!!!

viks_fan21
05-03-2006, 11:55 PM
"vikes2456" wrote:

anyone watching espn a second go, they were grilling wilf about firing foley, saying its scandal after scandal after scandal, to bad most of it zygi inherited

I don't think the Foley situation was a scandle, just that Foley was a total D-bag.

MightyVikes12391
05-04-2006, 12:00 AM
"viks_fan21" wrote:

"vikes2456" wrote:

I don't think the Foley situation was a scandle, just that Foley was a total D-bag.
Yah thats what Im saying

snowinapril
05-04-2006, 12:01 AM
"vikes2456" wrote:

WILF and his regime can't wash their hands of all or even most of it. Everything that went down this year, is under his watch. What is so scandalous that happened before his watch started, except for Tice's tickets?

vikes2456
05-04-2006, 12:03 AM
I agree, and they also were bickering about trading our "franchise quarterback" for basically nothing. Granted we could have gotten more for Daunte, still, I distinctly remember everyone constantly saying how much he sucked when we had him, and now that hes gone he is some sort of amazing qb who we were stupid to get rid of.

Braddock
05-04-2006, 12:06 AM
"vikes2456" wrote:

I agree, and they also were bickering about trading our "franchise quarterback" for basically nothing. Granted we could have gotten more for Daunte, still, I distinctly remember everyone constantly saying how much he sucked when we had him, and now that hes gone he is some sort of amazing qb who we were stupid to get rid of.

I know, the dumbest thing ever... I get friends telling me the same thing and I want to rign their necks. We should all email PTI and tell them to go fuck themselves or politely explain our positions, whichever you guys want.

singersp
05-04-2006, 12:14 AM
"vikes2456" wrote:

I agree! As bad as people said Daunte was, why were they pissed when we got a 2nd rounder for him?

As bad as some people made him out to be, it's a wonder we got any compensation at all.

Same with Tice, now that he's gone, people are complaining about the draft.

singersp
05-04-2006, 12:39 AM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/fran_foley.jpg

Warp
05-04-2006, 03:35 AM
"vikes2456" wrote:

Yeah its so annoying how in 04 dante had an MVP season and all you hear about is Manning, and never dante, then when we trade him its like he instintly is on the map. Now all you hear is how great dante is and it was a steal for the dolphins to get him for only a 2nd rounder. Its getting very old, I guess dante wasnt a great QB until he got traded??!? :???:

Purple Floyd
05-04-2006, 03:59 AM
"Warp" wrote:

"vikes2456" wrote:

Yeah its so annoying how in 04 dante had an MVP season and all you hear about is Manning, and never dante, then when we trade him its like he instintly is on the map. Now all you hear is how great dante is and it was a steal for the dolphins to get him for only a 2nd rounder. Its getting very old, I guess dante wasnt a great QB until he got traded??!? :???:

No, he still sucks.

The offense runs so much better with a smart quarterback that can read a defense and know what to do with the ball.

Braddock
05-04-2006, 04:04 AM
Hey, hey.... let's just prove it..... When we play Miami, it'll be on. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, needs to watch that game if anyway possible. That'll be huge as far as what people think about our administration.

I'd think it'd be really cool if T.Jack got in a series and scored, if only 3, for us. That'd be a smack in the face.

VikesfaninWis
05-04-2006, 04:07 AM
"vikes2456" wrote:

I don't think we could have gotten more then what we did for Pepp.. Now there is talk about him possibly not playing until mid season at the earliest. Wilbon, and Kornheiser are both full of sh!t. What sucks about all of this, is that Kornholer will be calling Monday Night Football games starting next season..

DarrinNelsonguy
05-04-2006, 04:09 AM
"cajunvike" wrote:

Kornholer SUCKS!!! Someone needs to tell him it's time to lose the combover...he only has about 8 hairs left to combover anyway!!!

Yes, and he is going to wreck MNF, he will be way worse then "Then Dennis Miller Project"

Braddock
05-04-2006, 04:11 AM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"cajunvike" wrote:

Yes, and he is going to wreck MNF, he will be way worse then "Then Dennis Miller Project"

HAHA, whew....... sad, but so true

DarrinNelsonguy
05-04-2006, 04:12 AM
They should have kept the ESPN Sunday night crew. While I admit Broken leg Joe was over the top, they were still the best.

boognish
05-04-2006, 04:20 AM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

They should have kept the ESPN Sunday night crew. While I admit Broken leg Joe was over the top, they were still the best.

Stand up slowly...now back away from the crack pipe :arrow: :duh:

I hated that Sunday night crew, and so did most of America; they were consistently rated the worst sports crew on TV. I think Kornheiser (sp) will be great; he's funnier than hell. It's just too bad Namath has to be brought along for the ride.

Madden and Al were the best, but I guess we'll just have to be thankful that at least we will be rid of that moron Paul and his straight man from Sunday night football.

DarrinNelsonguy
05-04-2006, 04:28 AM
"boognish" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Stand up slowly...now back away from the crack pipe :arrow: :duh:

I hated that Sunday night crew, and so did most of America; they were consistently rated the worst sports crew on TV. I think Kornheiser (sp) will be great; he's funnier than hell. It's just too bad Namath has to be brought along for the ride.

Madden and Al were the best, but I guess we'll just have to be thankful that at least we will be rid of that silly guy Paul and his straight man from Sunday night football.

Madden and Summerall were the best at one time, but the guys we get on Fox for Vikings games are usually terrible (can't stand Joe Buck and the other guys we usually get) and I never really cared for Madden and Al for some reason.

I didn't mind the Sunday night crew for some reason, but I also like the CBS crew of Phil Simms and Gumble.

BadlandsVikings
05-04-2006, 04:33 AM
"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"boognish" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Stand up slowly...now back away from the crack pipe arrow duh

Madden and Al were the best, but I guess we'll just have to be thankful that at least we will be rid of that silly guy Paul and his straight man from Sunday night football.

Madden and Summerall were the best at one time, but the guys we get on Fox for Vikings games are usually terrible (can't stand Joe Buck and the other guys we usually get) and I never really cared for Madden and Al for some reason.

I didn't mind the Sunday night crew for some reason, but I also like the CBS crew of Phil Simms and Gumble.Gumble is so boring, and Mgwire on the sunday night crew was just awful.

DarrinNelsonguy
05-04-2006, 04:35 AM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

"boognish" wrote:

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:

Stand up slowly...now back away from the crack pipe arrow duh

I didn't mind the Sunday night crew for some reason, but I also like the CBS crew of Phil Simms and Gumble.Gumble is so boring, and Mgwire on the sunday night crew was just awful.

So who are you guys favorite broadcasters?

Json
05-04-2006, 04:44 AM
The sunday night espn crew was my favorite.

boognish
05-04-2006, 05:12 AM
As I said before, McQuire and Namath on sunday nights were my least favorite. I liked Madden and Al a lot, because Al Michaels is just a solid play by play guy and Madden adds color and cracks me up (many people hate him for that same reason).

I also like the dynamic between Aikman and Collinsworth, although they often work with Joe Buck, who I can't stand.

For an All-Star broadcast group, I'd like to see Al Michaels, James Brown and either Madden or Terry Bradshaw to add some color. Then you could have Tony Siragusa and that weather-babe Jillian Barberie prowling the sidelines interviewing players and fans.

singersp
05-04-2006, 05:41 AM
:scratch: How did this thread about Foley, turn into a Sunday night crew thread? :grin:

Perhaps we need a new thread?

chilifoot
05-04-2006, 06:06 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

i noticed that too.... strange.... :???:

BigMoInAZ
05-04-2006, 07:01 AM
"COJOMAY" wrote:

My how a couple of weeks changes things. I'm not defending the guy but attitudes sure change here in a hurry.Fran Friggin Tastic! I hear what your saying Cojo, but that should be expected as some of the most fickle fans I've meet in my 40+years of supporting the Vikings are fellow Viking fans! I don't know why that is, maybe it's our stubborn pride or our gigantic egos or just our plain STUPIDY, but I can truly say I've had the displeasure of meeting many Viking fans who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire! I'm sure many of them might have felt the same way about me, but that's only due to my never putting up with any braggadocios bull-crap coming from some "BANDWAGON, CLOSED MINDED, and IGNORANT" people, just because they claim to be brethren.

At any rate, this is getting uglier by the second so I'll quit while I'm ahead!

SEE YA LATER FRAN STUPID! Way to go Wilf, the Turds of Audacity hit the road running in 2006! Yeah, right! :roll: The BLIND LEADING THE BLIND!
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/BigMo58/BlindingSqueeze-364x271.jpg

olson_10
05-04-2006, 07:25 AM
can we burn him at the stake? how bout it? right in the middle of MOA in camp snoopy

olson_10
05-04-2006, 07:31 AM
"BigMoInAZ" wrote:

"COJOMAY" wrote:

My how a couple of weeks changes things. I'm not defending the guy but attitudes sure change here in a hurry.Fran Friggin Tastic! I hear what your saying Cojo, but that should be expected as some of the most fickle fans I've meet in my 40+years of supporting the Vikings are fellow Viking fans! I don't know why that is, maybe it's our stubborn pride or our gigantic egos or just our plain STUPIDY, but I can truly say I've had the displeasure of meeting many Viking fans who I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire! I'm sure many of them might have felt the same way about me, but that's only due to my never putting up with any braggadocios bull-crap coming from some "BANDWAGON, CLOSED MINDED, and IGNORANT" people, just because they claim to be brethren.

At any rate, this is getting uglier by the second so I'll quit while I'm ahead!

SEE YA LATER FRAN STUPID! Way to go Wilf, the Turds of Audacity hit the road running in 2006! Yeah, right! :roll: The BLIND LEADING THE BLIND!
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/BigMo58/BlindingSqueeze-364x271.jpg
i thought the guy was a complete joke and a huge RET*RD the day they announced he lied on his resume..how stupid can you be honestly? in the NFL (or any workplace of that nature) would anybody ever be able to get away with lieing on a resume? for god sakes, he didnt apply for a job at mcdonalds, this is the NFL! he shouldve been fired the second that they found out he had lied..i cant beleive he stayed with the team for this long

skum
05-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Could anyone check it Coldpizza this morning - they will proberly talk about the Foley thing here.. and give a short review..