PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with Minnesota

PurpleRide
05-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Why cant the stadium pass after 10 years of waiting and watching? Cities around this country have built stadiums with no negitive effect. Is this just the way this state is heading? Do we really know more than everyone else? Or is it the complete oposite? I still cannot get over the fact people really think these stadiums will take money away from schools, roads, the poor, and what ever lame excuse these people come up with. The fact is no school has closed in this country because of stadiums, no highways had to be closed because of this. The reason this state needs to pony up is because this state directly brings in millions every year by having these teams, don't insult me by saying billionairs have to pay for it because they have more money and blah blah blah. If you don't want a stadium and have a real reason behind it, let me know. So far I have YET to hear a logical reason why these teams shouldnt recieve state help on building these very important projects.
The state helps businesses all the time with finances, Best Buy, Target, 3M, Honeywell, Mayo Clinic, Mall of America to name a few private compaines with either mutlimillionairs or billionairs running the companies have recieved money for important projects. Now when these projects come up do these brilliant people open their mouths? There is NO difference between these great minnesota compaines/hospital, and the pro sports we have here. Both bring national attention to the state, both bring many jobs and important revenue to the state. The only difference is the people who have an agenda against people with more money than what they have. This is a joke, the twins should have been playing in their own outdoor ball park years ago and the vikings should be ready to move into their own stadiun any time now.
Here is an idea, lets all take a time machine back to the early 90's when we sat on our thumbs and let the north starts leave(the state let them leave by refusing to do anything with the outdated met, norm green was force out) I still remember the tears and frustration with our beloved hockey team moving. Now the same thing will happen with the twins and vikings unless we, as fans force these people in st paul to do something. Pass the stadium bills now, or pass a bill prohibiting the state from ever using state money to ANY private company.
We all like to bash wisconsin for being who they are, take a step back and see the progress they have there and the lack of that we have here.
Sorry I had to vent, this is bugging me.

thanatoschristou
05-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Amen PurpleRide. I do not think a Billionaire need support his own stadium, yes it brings them a good deal of money; but you are right, it also brings a good deal of money to the State and the county where the stadium is located.

Potus2028
05-02-2006, 02:54 AM
true that..

a stadium can only encourage economic growth..

except, the dumb dallas cowboys forced hundreds of people to move out of land that the city gave them.. ridiculous

singersp
05-02-2006, 02:56 AM
They don't learn from their past mistakes. After the Stars left is was only a matter of years before they realized their mistake.

So what did they do? They built the Xcel Energy center & brought in the Wild.

They will probably do the same thing with the Twins & the Vikings if they don't get their stadiums & leave town.

The U of M needs their own stadium also, but it's not like the Gophers can pick up & leave town.

They should bite the bullet, get all three done with & be done with it, instead of rehashing it every few years.

How many tax dollars have they wasted over the past 10 years just debating it? :wink:

damien927
05-02-2006, 02:57 AM
nice post, PR! I couldn't agree more. It is a complete load of BS that we can't get stadiums built. The main guy that is speaking out against the Vikigns stadium is a fricken idiot.... I can't remember his name, so I will call him Mr. Idiot. He is supposedly a financial advisor and apparently isn't smart enough to put 2 and 2 together. A sales tax is a great way to raise money for a project like this. If you buy "unnecessary" things, you get taxed.... If you are buying food and clothing, you do not... If you can afford to buy a new car, you can afford to pay the additional tax. If not, you shouldn't buy the car.

wisc vike
05-02-2006, 03:04 AM
Here in WI, we built a state-of-the-art baseball park for the (at best) third most popular team in the state. I don't see how a football stadium which would bring millions of dollars in for inarguably the most popular team couldn't have gotten done by now. It is just rediculous.

Formo
05-02-2006, 05:02 AM
"singersp" wrote:

How many tax dollars have they wasted over the past 10 years just debating it? :wink:

My thoughts exactly! Just get done with this crap already!!

FedjeViking
05-02-2006, 05:07 AM
The problem is that the tax payers are so worried about their taxes being raised they don't think of the economic increase it will bring. :cry:

Greed is the problem. Not out of MY pocket. :roll:

BadlandsVikings
05-02-2006, 05:16 AM
It's cheaper to build the stadiums now than try to convince the MLB and the NFL to give the state new teams if they screw this up and the teams leave.

snowinapril
05-02-2006, 05:19 AM
"Potus2028" wrote:

true that..

a stadium can only encourage economic growth..

except, the dumb dallas cowboys forced hundreds of people to move out of land that the city gave them.. ridiculous

I will have to do research on this, but I think I posted the article in a previous Stadium thread, where it stated that the Dallas community was making Jerry Jones pay for a third, the fans pay for a third in increased tax on the tickets the have been selling the last few years and the govt(state?local?) pays the other third.

Anyway, there are ways to get it done. People just aren't thinking outside the box.

I still think it is/was a hang up on the MetroDump contract for both the Twins and the Vikes.

I am with you on this PurpleRide, I think it is ignorant not to be getting something in the works for the future. I blame the politicians and then the people of the state.

VikesfaninWis
05-02-2006, 05:20 AM
I don't like to comment on things like this because I don't live in Minnesota. I can see where you are coming from on this subject though.

Warp
05-02-2006, 05:41 AM
Great post PurpleRide, and i 100% agree! Its getting old waiting for a stadium and it should have been done so many years ago. Very frustrating and just thinking about the Twins and Vikings relocating should make them get the deal done. If we lost the Twins and Vikes it would be a travesty! Get the stadiums built damn it!

snowinapril
05-02-2006, 05:54 AM
"westvirginiavikings" wrote:

It's cheaper to build the stadiums now than try to convince the MLB and the NFL to give the state new teams if they screw this up and the teams leave.

Something to chew on.

There is a city of about 120,000 people up the way.

They had a proposal to built a little league complex. Voted on it, got approved for $6-8 million. This is for a little league complex, I remind you again. They postponed it for a year, and when they went back to entertain the idea again, the cost of steel nearly doubled. This was about 2-3 years ago. Well, when they ran the numbers again, it was estimated at $11-12 million. Well, they did it anyway, and it looks awesome. The fields are replica s of some of the famous MLB ballparks.

Anyway, the longer you wait, the more it is going to cost.

BadlandsVikings
05-02-2006, 05:58 AM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Something to chew on.

There is a city of about 120,000 people up the way.

They had a proposal to built a little league complex. Voted on it, got approved for $6-8 million. This is for a little league complex, I remind you again. They postponed it for a year, and when they went back to entertain the idea again, the cost of steel nearly doubled. This was about 2-3 years ago. Well, when they ran the numbers again, it was estimated at $11-12 million. Well, they did it anyway, and it looks awesome. The fields are replica s of some of the famous MLB ballparks.

Anyway, the longer you wait, the more it is going to cost.The longer you wait, the faster the teams leave town.

snowinapril
05-02-2006, 06:03 AM

Anyway, the longer you wait, the more it is going to cost.The longer you wait, the faster the teams leave town.[/quote]

Good one!

No one thinks it will happen to them. Until Art Modell is standing in the back of a Mayflower moving van saying "is that all of it? That's it boys we are on the road to Baltimore."

Or, the Colts to Indianapolis!

cajunvike
05-02-2006, 06:09 AM
GIT 'R DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Prophet
05-02-2006, 12:35 PM
KFFL
Vikings | Wilf and Bud Grant will lead new stadium campaign
Mon, 1 May 2006 21:53:11 -0700

Paul Levy, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings will bring out Hall of Fame coach Bud Grant to help lead a media blitz in a quest for a new stadium in Blaine. The TV, radio and print ads are part of a stadium push that shifted into high gear towards the end of April. Vikings owner Zygi Wilf campaigned in Willmar for the stadium and Senate Majority Leader Dean Johnson said he hoped for a full Senate vote this week on separate stadium plans for the Minnesota Vikings, Minnesota Twins and the University of Minnesota. The stadium is expected to be taken up Wednesday, May 3, at a House Governmental Operations and Veteran Affairs Committee hearing.

singersp
05-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Bud would definitely have more influence on swaying public opinion on a new stadium than newcomer Wilf.

I don't know why he hasn't been in more public appearances & media coverage pushing for the stadium.

singersp
05-02-2006, 01:15 PM
I moved this article to the "Bud Grant to do stadium commercial".

I know this one exists, but Bud deserves his own thread.

snowinapril
05-02-2006, 05:52 PM
"singersp" wrote:

Bud would definitely have more influence on swaying public opinion on a new stadium than newcomer Wilf.

I don't know why he hasn't been in more public appearances & media coverage pushing for the stadium.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Maybe he has never been asked.

Maybe this is the first time that they have added the words, we will pay you to be a spokesperson on this issue.

Maybe he took it upon himself to get involved.

It would be nice to know!

coreyd
05-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Who here lives in Anoka County? which is the county that they want to put the stadium.

Warp
05-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Yeah they better get this done because the costs are only gonna go up. And theres no reason it shouldnt be done, all the money spent will be made back in no time. I really hope they decide on something this year, im getting sick of waiting.

PurpleRide
05-03-2006, 01:40 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Thats the problem, no one should pass judment on someone because they are "not from here" I'm tired of that, why do people in this state act so childish when new people come to this state. We acted the same way to red(doesnt matter where he's from), just because you didnt grow up here, doesnt mean you cant do anything positive in MN with the best interest of the state. If they fail to pass a stadium bill this year, the vikings, twins should have every right to move. I don't care about contracts or anything else these slobs in st paul want to take all the advantages of having pro sports, take all the money thats involved. But when it comes to doing THEIR job, they fail. They run away like little babies.

singersp
05-03-2006, 01:57 AM
"PurpleRide" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Thats the problem, no one should pass judment on someone because they are "not from here" I'm tired of that, why do people in this state act so childish when new people come to this state. We acted the same way to red(doesnt matter where he's from), just because you didnt grow up here, doesnt mean you cant do anything positive in MN with the best interest of the state. If they fail to pass a stadium bill this year, the vikings, twins should have every right to move. I don't care about contracts or anything else these slobs in st paul want to take all the advantages of having pro sports, take all the money thats involved. But when it comes to doing THEIR job, they fail. They run away like little babies.

I certainly am not passing judgment on Wilf. I like everything he's doing. Many people in Minnesota have blinders on when someone dares to propose change or something good for the state.

I'm simply stating Bud would have more influence as he is well respected & loved in MN.

Wilf hasn't earned that yet from a lot of Minnesotans.

PurpleRide
05-03-2006, 01:59 AM
I totally respect that, I understand your statement. By having a person like bud on T.V, people would have the feeling like this is for mn. Its sad certain people think that way, but its true.

DaunteHOF
05-03-2006, 10:58 PM
I hope it goes through now but one reason i heard people dont like minny cause its cold, well thats what Marbury said...

singersp
05-04-2006, 01:51 AM
"DaunteHOF" wrote:

I hope it goes through now but one reason i heard people dont like minny cause its cold, well thats what Marbury said...

Yes it can get cold, especially with the wind chills, but it's not as cold as people make it out to be.

I don't think it's a whole lot different than what you see in NY.

PurplePeopleEaters89
05-04-2006, 01:54 AM
I am not from Minnesota but i think that they should keep it a Dome!!! That's what makes Minnesota such a scary team when the crowd is pumped and you can't hear anything!!!! I am from Washington and i had to go through the imploding of our dome and they made some crappy (everyone else likes it) outdoor stadium!!! I think it looks stupid!!! But the domes are always scary to play in!!!

V-Unit
05-04-2006, 02:03 AM
"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:

I am not from Minnesota but i think that they should keep it a Dome!!! That's what makes Minnesota such a scary team when the crowd is pumped and you can't hear anything!!!! I am from Washington and i had to go through the imploding of our dome and they made some crappy (everyone else likes it) outdoor stadium!!! I think it looks stupid!!! But the domes are always scary to play in!!!The only thing I enjoy about the dome is the fact that I am watching my favorite team play live. Everything else: the closed top, the mustiness after they set off fireworks, the food, the bathrooms, etc. sucks.

Fans can make noise anyways, they don't need speakers behind the benches. Football is supposed to be played outdoors and the overall atmosphere when watching a game outdoors is just better IMO.

Deleted_User_7689
05-04-2006, 02:56 AM
I would be totally against a tax increase if I lived in Minnesota. They pay too many taxes as it is. Why can't Wilf pay for it himself?

whackthepack
05-04-2006, 03:20 AM
"number34" wrote:

I would be totally against a tax increase if I lived in Minnesota. They pay too many taxes as it is. Why can't Wilf pay for it himself?

Why don't you go find your sheep I am sure he is lonely and waiting for you to abuse him again you Packer puke!

Deleted_User_7689
05-04-2006, 03:26 AM
Typical. Mongoloids like you always resort to cheap insults when they have nothing intelligent to offer. Good work whack.

singersp
05-04-2006, 03:38 AM
"V-Unit" wrote:

I am not from Minnesota but i think that they should keep it a Dome!!! That's what makes Minnesota such a scary team when the crowd is pumped and you can't hear anything!!!! I am from Washington and i had to go through the imploding of our dome and they made some crappy (everyone else likes it) outdoor stadium!!! I think it looks stupid!!! But the domes are always scary to play in!!!The only thing I enjoy about the dome is the fact that I am watching my favorite team play live. Everything else: the closed top, the mustiness after they set off fireworks, the food, the bathrooms, etc. sucks.

Fans can make noise anyways, they don't need speakers behind the benches. Football is supposed to be played outdoors and the overall atmosphere when watching a game outdoors is just better IMO.

Would you feel the same way if it were raining/sleeting buckets at near freezing temperaures or snowing so hard you couldn't see the other side of the field.

& what about the old-timer season ticket holders in their 60's & older that come to watch there team play? They can't take the rain & the cold like they used to.

A retractable is the only way to go, so you can have the best of both worlds.

Deleted_User_7689
05-04-2006, 03:41 AM
Ummm...I know it's a little off the topic but why can whackthepack get away with saying what he's saying?

whackthepack
05-04-2006, 03:53 AM
"number34" wrote:

Ummm...I know it's a little off the topic but why can whackthepack get away with saying what he's saying?

Because I do not like people coming on here telling us we are dumb for building a stadium and that they know something about an issue I have been watching and supporting for 10 years!

Don't come on here and pretend that you are a viking fan and have your favorite play as Hershel Walker and insult us. Are you still mad we have your guard if you are a Seahawk fan, is that why you are here?

Deleted_User_7689
05-04-2006, 03:59 AM
I never used the word dumb. I did say ridiculous, though...your comments prove that you fall into both categories.

V-Unit
05-04-2006, 04:16 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"V-Unit" wrote:

Would you feel the same way if it were raining/sleeting buckets at near freezing temperaures or snowing so hard you couldn't see the other side of the field.

& what about the old-timer season ticket holders in their 60's & older that come to watch there team play? They can't take the rain & the cold like they used to.

A retractable is the only way to go, so you can have the best of both worlds.

Oh don't get me wrong I would LOVE a retractable roof stadium. It is really the only option for a team that plays in Minnesota.

Retractable > Outdoor > Dome

edlantis
05-04-2006, 04:33 AM
Coming this summer, Stadium Aid 2006!!!

A statewide fund raiser to "Bring down the dome, and give the Vikes a new home!"

Live Music from...
Prince
Milli Vanilli
Super Tramp
Styxx
and many, many more!!!

Food and Beer

Games and Events...
Wack-a-District Congressman
Vikings Paintball
Wet T-Shirt contest
and many, many more!!!

Arts and Crafts...
Make your own authentic Viking costume
Make your own Viking coasters
Knit a purple and gold scarf to ready yourself for winter!!!

Come one, come all...support the Vikes!!!
Bring your kids, uncles, aunts, grandparents, step kids, red-headed step kids, neighbors, best friend's lil'sister...it doesn't matter, just bring your wallet and support the cause!!! See ya der!!!

singersp
05-04-2006, 05:09 AM
"edlantis" wrote:

A statewide fund raiser to "Bring down the dome, and give the Vikes a new home!"

Live Music from...
Prince
Milli Vanilli
Super Tramp
Styxx
and many, many more!!!

Food and Beer

Games and Events...
Vikings Paintball
Wet T-Shirt contest
and many, many more!!!

Arts and Crafts...

Bring your kids, uncles, aunts, grandparents, step kids, red-headed step kids, neighbors, best friend's lil'sister...it doesn't matter, just bring your wallet and support the cause!!! See ya der!!!

Where did you find this?

edlantis
05-04-2006, 05:26 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"edlantis" wrote:

Live Music from...
Prince
Milli Vanilli
Super Tramp
Styxx
and many, many more!!!

Food and Beer

Games and Events...
Vikings Paintball
Wet T-Shirt contest
and many, many more!!!

Arts and Crafts...

Where did you find this?

Somewhere between the right and left frontal cortex...Look, fund raising for a stadium is not that hard, it just needs to be organized. Concerts, auctions, heck, you can even add, "Would you like to donate $2.00 do the Viking Stadium Fund" on the state tax forms. The problem is, someone has to pony up and organize a few things. Sitting around and compaining that it isn't getting, ain't gettin it done either.

If money isn't the real issue, than what is??? Maybe some rich LA attorney is courting the MN state legislatures to botch this thing in order to move the team, heck, they already have our Lakers!

cajunvike
05-04-2006, 06:02 AM
"Deleted_User_7689" wrote:

Simple answer: Because he doesn't have to...if the Minnesota Legislature doesn't pony up, Wilfie will just take his toys and go play somewhere else...just like Bud "A$$HOLE" Adams did in Houston, Art "BUTTLICKER" Modell did in Cleveland, Robert "SLIMEBALL" Irsay did in Baltimore, Al "SKUMSUCKER" Davis and Georgia "BALLWASHER" Frontiere did in LA...should I keep on going?

Fact of the matter is this...the owners hold most of the power in pro sports, so if the governmental authorities don't kowtow to them, they will go elsewhere.

Oh, and don't forget about what the Lakers, Stars and Braves owners did when the Minnesota and Milwaukee markets didn't give in to what they wanted...they left...just like the Vikings will if the Minnesota Legislature doesn't wake up and smell the coffee. And also don't forget the Twins...they were once the Washington Senators (with a longer history in Washington than the Vikings have in Minnesota) and Calvin Griffin had no problem leaving for greener pastures back then...Carl Pohlad will have no problem doing the same if some other city comes a-callin' with a shiny new stadium.

WAKE UP, MINNESOTA...if the Legislature won't pass the stadium bills, vote their A$$ES out of office and put someone in who will do what is necessary to keep the sports teams in Minnesota!!!

Frozen Tundran
05-04-2006, 06:32 AM
"wisc vike" wrote:

Here in WI, we built a state-of-the-art baseball park for the (at best) third most popular team in the state. I don't see how a football stadium which would bring millions of dollars in for inarguably the most popular team couldn't have gotten done by now. It is just rediculous.

Yeah, and do recall the fallout of that being forced through? The GOP state senator was recalled, the Republicans lost control of the State Senate, couldn't get their initiatives through, and the GOP Governor even appointed a (relatively conservative) Democrat state senator names Lynn Adelman to a judicial post in hopes the GOP could win the special election and reclaim the state senate and get the GOP initiatves through. They did win the election--then lost control of the state senate in the following election some six months later--before they had a chance to get much done with a GOP Assembly, Senate and governor.

That damned stadium cost more political fallout than Monica Lewinski's stained dress. Don't think people forget this. Subsidizing millionares is not popular anywhere, and the 'economic studies' are nothing but smoke and mirrors. Sure stadiums add to economic activity--but so would mailing a check for a thousand dollars to every tax payer. It's the fact you gotta take money out of peoples' paychecks and not spend it on the other things you need like roads, schools etc. Either you spend less on those things, or you start taking more money out of paychecks--there's no free lunch.

I say this as someone who definitely wants to see you get a happy new home and will never get moved anywhere--I think the Vikes are part of the NFL's legacy and it would be tragedy for you to move. But this is a tough issue--there's no easy answers.
As anyone who followed the absurd repercussions of building Miller Park will tell you. :shock:

denvervikingfan
05-04-2006, 06:42 AM
I really miss the outdoor Vikings of the 1970's. Seems like they were in the Super Bowl every other year. They haven't played in a single Super Bowl since they moved indoors.

Let's say they have a retractable roof. Who decides whether it is open or closed? What if they are of Super Bowl caliber whenever they are outdoors, but return to their usual mediocre ways indoors. If they've got a winning streak going outdoors, will they risk ending the streak by closing the roof when the weather turns cold? What if they really excel in cold weather like the awesome Vikings of the 1970's? There would be a lot of pressure to leave it open, especially with a team like Tampa Bay that doesn't play well in cold weather on the schedule. There would also be a lot of pressure to close it because if you invest that much money in a retractible roof, you just can't leave it open all the time.

Denver, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Green Bay, Cincinnati and New England have recently built new or improved their old outdoor stadiums. These areas (along with Buffalo) are no strangers to snow and below zero wind chill. Nevetheless, it works out just fine, they all consistently sell out in all kinds of weather. No retractible roof needed.

Here in Denver, over just a few years, we got a new outdoor football stadium for the Broncos, a new outdoor baseball stadium for the Rockies, a new basketball/hockey arena for the Nuggets and Avalanche, and the largest airport in the world. Taxes were used for a lot of the funding, but any increase in my taxes has not been noticable by me.

Hope the Vikings, Twins, and Gophers get the stadiums they deserve!

OaklandVike
05-04-2006, 07:08 AM
I'm out of touch with this topic, what is Zygi proposing for his share?

San Francisco's Pac Bell Park was the first privately financed stadium to be built since 1962; since then it's generated the most revenue in baseball.

Not trying to stir the pot just wondering if this avenue was pursued in my home state.

I'd love to see the new stadium have a retractable roof and be corporate funded, but it may not be realistic in MN.

olson_10
05-04-2006, 07:11 AM
"denvervikingfan" wrote:

I really miss the outdoor Vikings of the 1970's. Seems like they were in the Super Bowl every other year. They haven't played in a single Super Bowl since they moved indoors.

Let's say they have a retractable roof. Who decides whether it is open or closed? What if they are of Super Bowl caliber whenever they are outdoors, but return to their usual mediocre ways indoors. If they've got a winning streak going outdoors, will they risk ending the streak by closing the roof when the weather turns cold? What if they really excel in cold weather like the awesome Vikings of the 1970's? There would be a lot of pressure to leave it open, especially with a team like Tampa Bay that doesn't play well in cold weather on the schedule. There would also be a lot of pressure to close it because if you invest that much money in a retractible roof, you just can't leave it open all the time.

Denver, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Green Bay, Cincinnati and New England have recently built new or improved their old outdoor stadiums. These areas (along with Buffalo) are no strangers to snow and below zero wind chill. Nevetheless, it works out just fine, they all consistently sell out in all kinds of weather. No retractible roof needed.

Here in Denver, over just a few years, we got a new outdoor football stadium for the Broncos, a new outdoor baseball stadium for the Rockies, a new basketball/hockey arena for the Nuggets and Avalanche, and the largest airport in the world. Taxes were used for a lot of the funding, but any increase in my taxes has not been noticable by me.

Hope the Vikings, Twins, and Gophers get the stadiums they deserve!
its a shame that the people of minnesota will not get to hear that quote..thanks for sharing that though, because it really gives us a better idea just how small of a chunk will be added to taxes..i guess most people just love the idea of having their local pro teams leave in minnesota..not to mention that the added .05% tax would also cover the cost of road repairs and other things related to transportation that would benefit minnesotans..i can honest to god say that i would have absolutely no problem with giving a half a cent more sales tax to fund a baseball AND football stadium, as well as road repairs and transportation improvements

olson_10
05-04-2006, 07:22 AM
"Frozen Tundran" wrote:

"wisc vike" wrote:

Yeah, and do recall the fallout of that being forced through? The GOP state senator was recalled, the Republicans lost control of the State Senate, couldn't get their initiatives through, and the GOP Governor even appointed a (relatively conservative) Democrat state senator names Lynn Adelman to a judicial post in hopes the GOP could win the special election and reclaim the state senate and get the GOP initiatves through. They did win the election--then lost control of the state senate in the following election some six months later--before they had a chance to get much done with a GOP Assembly, Senate and governor.

That damned stadium cost more political fallout than Monica Lewinski's stained dress. Don't think people forget this. Subsidizing millionares is not popular anywhere, and the 'economic studies' are nothing but smoke and mirrors. Sure stadiums add to economic activity--but so would mailing a check for a thousand dollars to every tax payer. It's the fact you gotta take money out of peoples' paychecks and not spend it on the other things you need like roads, schools etc. Either you spend less on those things, or you start taking more money out of paychecks--there's no free lunch.

I say this as someone who definitely wants to see you get a happy new home and will never get moved anywhere--I think the Vikes are part of the NFL's legacy and it would be tragedy for you to move. But this is a tough issue--there's no easy answers.
As anyone who followed the absurd repercussions of building Miller Park will tell you. :shock:
football will sell out unless you are playing in arizona (who got a new stadium to hold their 20,000 fans) baseball however is never going to sell out, especially when the brewers havent made the playoffs in god knows how long..if you were talking about a twins stadium, then i understand, but the vikings not selling out their stadium, and not pulling in a huge profit in the end is not even a question

faninphx
05-04-2006, 08:09 AM
The problem in Minnesota is that you keep voting for Democrats and/or former wrestlers!

Frozen Tundran
05-04-2006, 08:22 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

"Frozen Tundran" wrote:
[quote]"wisc vike" wrote:
[quote]Here in
football will sell out unless you are playing in arizona (who got a new stadium to hold their 20,000 fans) baseball however is never going to sell out, especially when the brewers havent made the playoffs in god knows how long..if you were talking about a twins stadium, then i understand, but the vikings not selling out their stadium, and not pulling in a huge profit in the end is not even a question

I'm sure you're correct. There's no shortage of Viking's fans in Minnesota, I'm sure they'd make a profit--wherin lies the problem. You've just subsidized a billionaire who blackmailed you into doing it by the possibility of the team moving. He's the one whose gonna make a profit on it, and you're gonna pay for it. Mebbe you're happy about that, but your next door neighbor took Women Studies in the Cities and she thinks football is part of the white male capitalist patriarchy's grip on the uniformed proletariat and thus shouldn't be encouraged. All her friends who find spending public monies on anything but a higher percentage of public restrooms dedicated to females and that sort of thing are gonna want you strung up by your short and curlies for even suggesting it.

I hope you guys win though. If you can vote a wrestler to power, you can vote yourself a stadium. Don't pretend this is an easy political trick though. There's nothing wrong with a state which balks at subsidizing billionaires. :smile:

ColoradoVike
05-04-2006, 09:30 AM
"faninphx" wrote:

The problem in Minnesota is that you keep voting for Democrats and/or former wrestlers!

eh? The last democrat governor ended his tenure in 1990, or 16 years ago.

If you'll pardon my essentialism, Minnesotans are generally adverse to public subsidies to sports teams and this is supported regardless of political party. I know that right now, the economic libertarians in MN, many of whom vote Republican, are up in arms about tax-payer money being used to support sports stadiums.

Let's not drag trite politics into this conversation. It's really much more complex than Democrat vs. Republican and, in the end, that conversation won't be worthwhile.

singersp
05-04-2006, 12:18 PM
"OaklandVike" wrote:

I'm out of touch with this topic, what is Zygi proposing for his share?

San Francisco's Pac Bell Park was the first privately financed stadium to be built since 1962; since then it's generated the most revenue in baseball.

Not trying to stir the pot just wondering if this avenue was pursued in my home state.

I'd love to see the new stadium have a retractable roof and be corporate funded, but it may not be realistic in MN.

I believe the number is $280 million out of Wilf's pocket for the new stadium.

BigMoInAZ
05-05-2006, 08:05 AM
"olson_10" wrote:

football will sell out unless you are playing in Arizona (who got a new stadium to hold their 20,000 fans)
OK, this is where facts need to be brought to bear! Fans of the Cardinals, cough, cough, hack, are overjoyed because of the NEW STADIUM as well as the great draft they had, supported by articles like this one making the local news. Something that could be found easy by using Google instead of making FALSE statements like above!

Leinart boosts Cardinals' season-ticket sales (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0502cardstix0502.html)

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
May. 2, 2006 12:00 AM

The Cardinals, who had seen brisk season-ticket sales even before they drafted a former Heisman Trophy winner, are close to selling every season ticket in their new stadium.

The selection of USC quarterback Matt Leinart Saturday saw a weekend spike of about 1,500 season tickets sold, leaving fewer than 3,000 season tickets remaining, team officials said.

The Cardinals declined to reveal a total sales figure or how many of the stadium's 63,000 seats are available for purchase in season packages.

If you ask the average football fan in the Phoenix Valley, they would probably answer at least 7 out of 10 times that one of the hottest selling markets today is Arizona Cardinals football game tickets given the fact they are opening their season in a BRAND SPANKING NEW STADIUM!
http://www.azcentral.com/sshow/Sports/Cardinals/406_4667.jpg

GET R DONE MINNESOTA!